Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | New Genes Arrive!
1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 86 87
@grandeur [quote name="Grandeur" date=2016-06-25 14:37:33] QueenCheetah93 [quote][u]I think the artist did the gene, the site admins (who may not be artists)[/u] thought it looked good, they released it - and then saw where fixes could be made after several very helpful and detailed posts, including an example drawn by a talented user.[/quote] Many of the artists [b]are[/b] admins though. [/quote] I just graduated art school, and while I can agree that some of the admins are artists, I can also say that being a good artist does not always make you skilled at seeing mistakes in others work. We don't know whether it is one artist or several doing these, and just because some users are pointing out that "something is wrong", only a few so far have been able to elaborate. I think we just put too much pressure on artists (as an artist myself) to get everything perfect on the first run, and to be able to cater to thousands of peoples wants on the first go. They don't even get the pleasure of client feedback until they implement things, which they get yelled at for too. It's all opinion too, as we now see people crying that they liked the old versions. Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't. It's possible that they realized they were a bit loose and thought no one would notice, but it's also possible that they thought they were releasing something we would like and then got a good solid critique (which they are actually listening to)
@grandeur
Grandeur wrote on 2016-06-25:
QueenCheetah93
Quote:
I think the artist did the gene, the site admins (who may not be artists) thought it looked good, they released it - and then saw where fixes could be made after several very helpful and detailed posts, including an example drawn by a talented user.
Many of the artists are admins though.

I just graduated art school, and while I can agree that some of the admins are artists, I can also say that being a good artist does not always make you skilled at seeing mistakes in others work. We don't know whether it is one artist or several doing these, and just because some users are pointing out that "something is wrong", only a few so far have been able to elaborate.

I think we just put too much pressure on artists (as an artist myself) to get everything perfect on the first run, and to be able to cater to thousands of peoples wants on the first go. They don't even get the pleasure of client feedback until they implement things, which they get yelled at for too.

It's all opinion too, as we now see people crying that they liked the old versions. Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't.

It's possible that they realized they were a bit loose and thought no one would notice, but it's also possible that they thought they were releasing something we would like and then got a good solid critique (which they are actually listening to)
uWKmYMk.jpg sykEOD9.jpg
[quote name="QueenCheetah93" date=2016-06-25 14:34:23] [quote name="falcoeur" date=2016-06-25 08:36:46] [quote name="Carnimirie" date=2016-06-25 08:24:04] [quote name="falcoeur" date=2016-06-25 08:12:46] [quote name="Undel" date=2016-06-25 06:27:31] The markings on this will be tightened up a bit in a future update. :) [/quote] If they already had the intention of tightening up the lines across all the breeds, why did they release the gene before they were finished? Now the people who love it as it is are going to be mad when it changes, where is the sense in that? [/quote] Honestly, I'm wondering the same thing. Were they thinking that the inconsistant line distribution across the breeds would go unnoticed or uncritizied? Or was it always their intention to correct it gradually? Seems to me it would be far better to delay the release of a gene until it is complete, rather than release as-is and fix it as they go. It just makes the whole process seem rushed and sloppy to me. [/quote] I agree. Especially since no one even knew this gene was in the works, so there was no one to disappoint by delaying its release. [/quote] I think we need to take a step back and consider that maybe they weren't expecting such a lash back? When I first saw it, I thought it was a nice gene, but yes, I realized inconsistencies once some people pointed it out. I think the artist did the gene, the site admins (who may not be artists) thought it looked good, they released it - and then saw where fixes could be made after several very helpful and detailed posts, including an example drawn by a talented user. I think it's really commendable actually that they are going through and fixing them. [/quote] I don't think this was such a lash back, though. Pretty much every gene gets complaints. People complained so much about Thylacine, and about the Hypnotic bits on Vipera, about how tiny Spines was, and probably other things I don't remember offhand. So I'm not sure why now we suddenly get pretty much the entire gene re-drawn.
QueenCheetah93 wrote on 2016-06-25:
falcoeur wrote on 2016-06-25:
Carnimirie wrote on 2016-06-25:
falcoeur wrote on 2016-06-25:
Undel wrote on 2016-06-25:
The markings on this will be tightened up a bit in a future update. :)

If they already had the intention of tightening up the lines across all the breeds, why did they release the gene before they were finished? Now the people who love it as it is are going to be mad when it changes, where is the sense in that?

Honestly, I'm wondering the same thing. Were they thinking that the inconsistant line distribution across the breeds would go unnoticed or uncritizied? Or was it always their intention to correct it gradually? Seems to me it would be far better to delay the release of a gene until it is complete, rather than release as-is and fix it as they go. It just makes the whole process seem rushed and sloppy to me.
I agree. Especially since no one even knew this gene was in the works, so there was no one to disappoint by delaying its release.

I think we need to take a step back and consider that maybe they weren't expecting such a lash back? When I first saw it, I thought it was a nice gene, but yes, I realized inconsistencies once some people pointed it out.

I think the artist did the gene, the site admins (who may not be artists) thought it looked good, they released it - and then saw where fixes could be made after several very helpful and detailed posts, including an example drawn by a talented user.

I think it's really commendable actually that they are going through and fixing them.

I don't think this was such a lash back, though. Pretty much every gene gets complaints. People complained so much about Thylacine, and about the Hypnotic bits on Vipera, about how tiny Spines was, and probably other things I don't remember offhand. So I'm not sure why now we suddenly get pretty much the entire gene re-drawn.
I think it was pressure that got them to release them too early.

I also think it's amazing that they are actually changing these - there was a lot of complaints about Thylacine (a TON OF COMPLAINTS) but it was never changed.
I think it was pressure that got them to release them too early.

I also think it's amazing that they are actually changing these - there was a lot of complaints about Thylacine (a TON OF COMPLAINTS) but it was never changed.
Flight Rep Time:

Lightning|Water|Plague|Wind

Or browse some Old Oaks for sale?
@QueenCheetah93 I wasn't complaining, I was just saying the way you phrased it seemed like it was excluding admins from being the artist who designed and released them, which is highly probable.
@QueenCheetah93 I wasn't complaining, I was just saying the way you phrased it seemed like it was excluding admins from being the artist who designed and released them, which is highly probable.
72374610.png FoHUc9c.png
XGkYzjm.png
yHOcO3G.png
58T08n9.png
Yaya!!!! New genes, they look awesome!
Yaya!!!! New genes, they look awesome!
Late to the party because I'm lazy, w00t.

I'm sure this has been a time or two (between the bickering over how the tight the patterning should be): I do like these genes, but they're only really good together. I would really like to see more standalone genes that allow for mixing and matching.
Late to the party because I'm lazy, w00t.

I'm sure this has been a time or two (between the bickering over how the tight the patterning should be): I do like these genes, but they're only really good together. I would really like to see more standalone genes that allow for mixing and matching.
she/her
I like both versions of the genes, the tighter one is slightly prettier, but I'd be happy with either.

Another thing for the green dragons is that they can look like seaweed.
I like both versions of the genes, the tighter one is slightly prettier, but I'd be happy with either.

Another thing for the green dragons is that they can look like seaweed.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
>:D I am ready for increased gathering levels
>:D I am ready for increased gathering levels
So, anyway, new breeds..... when?
So, anyway, new breeds..... when?
QziQrLH.gif XYGqOay.png 1nz9EYP.gif
Good thing I don't have the money to buy this atm, if the markings are going to be 'tighter'. I actually like the larger beading effect of the original. The fanmade version looks less celestial and more windy. Still, both versions are pretty enough. Excelcior will be waiting... [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=11&breed=1&element=7&gender=0&tert=25&tertgene=10&winggene=15&wings=50&auth=0135d46a1fdee3691463ca67a247b64260f0b836&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
Good thing I don't have the money to buy this atm, if the markings are going to be 'tighter'. I actually like the larger beading effect of the original. The fanmade version looks less celestial and more windy.

Still, both versions are pretty enough. Excelcior will be waiting...

dragon?age=1&body=13&bodygene=11&breed=1&element=7&gender=0&tert=25&tertgene=10&winggene=15&wings=50&auth=0135d46a1fdee3691463ca67a247b64260f0b836&dummyext=prev.png
1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 86 87