Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Chicken Enthusiasts
1 2 3
[quote name="Dinogrrl" date=2015-12-15 17:40:00] Also I think chickens are quite amusing in general :}. [/quote] Definitely. I can't get enough of that rooster in the second image. He has such a magnificent beard.
Dinogrrl wrote on 2015-12-15:
Also I think chickens are quite amusing in general :}.
Definitely. I can't get enough of that rooster in the second image. He has such a magnificent beard.
This is one of my go-to videos for a quick cheer-up, look at those pudgy beans coming to see what's up <3 <3
This is one of my go-to videos for a quick cheer-up, look at those pudgy beans coming to see what's up <3 <3
Inspiration Tumblr
Art-only Tumblr
Chicken Tumblr
deviantArt
FurAffinity
Steam
instagram

Commissions Open! c: 10/10 slots available
Those are some gorgeous birds you have there
we don't own any pets, and I don't know if I'm allergic or not so no chickens for us (also there's concern about predators and mice and the whole shebang.)
Those are some gorgeous birds you have there
we don't own any pets, and I don't know if I'm allergic or not so no chickens for us (also there's concern about predators and mice and the whole shebang.)
A Clan between domains and gods, The Starwound clan (Arcane/Plague) http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=outbound&loc=http://the-lorebrary.wikia.com/wiki/StarWound_Clan[img][/img]8e0286da716b.png
[img][/img]dfc5c2959c84.png
@BellowsLizard
Git in here.
@BellowsLizard
Git in here.
bic_signaturefinal_by_starkindlerstudio-daq8vx1.png
@Karja
If I had enough room, I'd have some of every variety of d'Uccle. I love how many colors they come in. :3 My favorite color is Silver Mille Fleur but unfortunately it isn't available in the United States.
Be careful if you will be getting your Rhode Island Reds from a hatchery instead of a breeder. Hatchery RIRs have a bad reputation for being overly aggressive.

@WillowWispFlame
Aw she sounds cute! I don't buy adult birds, so all of my birds were either hatched in an incubator or raised from a day-old chick by myself. ^^ I love watching them hatch, it's still super exciting!

@DalphiaRose
I visited my first show a couple weekends ago and it was awesome. The show I went to was the American Poultry Association Nationals. There were over 3,000 birds entered. Though, I was disappointed that the breeds and varieties that I own were not well-represented there at all. It has really motivated me to get out there and start showing my birds next year.

My biggest hurdle is going to be getting my birds used to being handled, but I have heard that it doesn't take too long.

@Dinogrrl
I agree, they are very amusing little creatures. I can sit and watch them for hours! If you're interested in a chicken breed that is good at both egg and meat production, you should look into "dual purpose" breeds. Faverolles are an example of one.
@Karja
If I had enough room, I'd have some of every variety of d'Uccle. I love how many colors they come in. :3 My favorite color is Silver Mille Fleur but unfortunately it isn't available in the United States.
Be careful if you will be getting your Rhode Island Reds from a hatchery instead of a breeder. Hatchery RIRs have a bad reputation for being overly aggressive.

@WillowWispFlame
Aw she sounds cute! I don't buy adult birds, so all of my birds were either hatched in an incubator or raised from a day-old chick by myself. ^^ I love watching them hatch, it's still super exciting!

@DalphiaRose
I visited my first show a couple weekends ago and it was awesome. The show I went to was the American Poultry Association Nationals. There were over 3,000 birds entered. Though, I was disappointed that the breeds and varieties that I own were not well-represented there at all. It has really motivated me to get out there and start showing my birds next year.

My biggest hurdle is going to be getting my birds used to being handled, but I have heard that it doesn't take too long.

@Dinogrrl
I agree, they are very amusing little creatures. I can sit and watch them for hours! If you're interested in a chicken breed that is good at both egg and meat production, you should look into "dual purpose" breeds. Faverolles are an example of one.
MREQJ.gifo7Vex.gifDVr2oFl.gif aPaLdb3.png93713550.png94991461.png
@Absinthy I own chicken. It's in my fridge and happens to be fried.
I'd have a couple pet chickens if I could. They're so cute and can sometimes be really sweet, too. My friend has a pet chicken who is a cannibal. Once I was at his house and we were eating chicken in his yard. Then, the chicken came up to us and started pecking at our chicken!
Bad chicken.
BAD!
Cannibalism is not cool.
@Absinthy I own chicken. It's in my fridge and happens to be fried.
I'd have a couple pet chickens if I could. They're so cute and can sometimes be really sweet, too. My friend has a pet chicken who is a cannibal. Once I was at his house and we were eating chicken in his yard. Then, the chicken came up to us and started pecking at our chicken!
Bad chicken.
BAD!
Cannibalism is not cool.
@BlueRoses
Lol! I think part of the reason why I find them so interesting is because they are so dinosaur-like. They will eat just about anything (though mine are weirdly picky eaters >_>). There are a ton of videos on youtube of chickens killing and eating snakes and mice. I've also found out it is apparently common to throw your Thanksgiving turkey carcass out to them and let them eat the scraps off of it.
@BlueRoses
Lol! I think part of the reason why I find them so interesting is because they are so dinosaur-like. They will eat just about anything (though mine are weirdly picky eaters >_>). There are a ton of videos on youtube of chickens killing and eating snakes and mice. I've also found out it is apparently common to throw your Thanksgiving turkey carcass out to them and let them eat the scraps off of it.
@absinthy Those silvers are indeed cute!

My first chickens were RIRs from the local feed store, so they were likely from a hatchery. I've never had any problems save for one particular hen being extremely sneaky and hiding all the time, but I was also very hands on with raising them. Even so, I have interest in a variety of breeds and wouldn't mind dealing with more aggressive breeds at some point, especially given my experience with exotics. X3
@absinthy Those silvers are indeed cute!

My first chickens were RIRs from the local feed store, so they were likely from a hatchery. I've never had any problems save for one particular hen being extremely sneaky and hiding all the time, but I was also very hands on with raising them. Even so, I have interest in a variety of breeds and wouldn't mind dealing with more aggressive breeds at some point, especially given my experience with exotics. X3
@absinthy

What kind of things do they look for?
@absinthy

What kind of things do they look for?
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
@DalphiaRose
There is a "standard" written for each breed recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA). It basically outlines down to the littlest detail (feather length, eye color, tail angle, etc.) what the perfect specimen of that breed is supposed to look like. When you enter your bird in a show, the judge matches your bird to how close it is to the standard (ie. the perfect specimen of that breed).

You wouldn't think that there would be a huge difference how chickens of a certain breed look, but it can be quite significant. For example, here is a champion Faverolles that is close to the standard and here is a Faverolles that is not close to the standard. You can see that there is a big difference in color and body shape.

Honestly, I think chickens are probably the easiest animal to show. You bring them to the show in some sort of box (some people were bringing theirs in cardboard boxes, lol) and put them in the cage that is designated to your bird and that's it. Most of the time, the staff is responsible for feeding and watering the birds while they are at the show. Usually a show will last for two days, so it is required that you get a hotel room if the show is far from home. The biggest part is conditioning and prepping your birds before the show, which means giving them a bath and getting them used to being handled and used to being in a cage so that they don't get spooked and flap around when people walk past.
@DalphiaRose
There is a "standard" written for each breed recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA). It basically outlines down to the littlest detail (feather length, eye color, tail angle, etc.) what the perfect specimen of that breed is supposed to look like. When you enter your bird in a show, the judge matches your bird to how close it is to the standard (ie. the perfect specimen of that breed).

You wouldn't think that there would be a huge difference how chickens of a certain breed look, but it can be quite significant. For example, here is a champion Faverolles that is close to the standard and here is a Faverolles that is not close to the standard. You can see that there is a big difference in color and body shape.

Honestly, I think chickens are probably the easiest animal to show. You bring them to the show in some sort of box (some people were bringing theirs in cardboard boxes, lol) and put them in the cage that is designated to your bird and that's it. Most of the time, the staff is responsible for feeding and watering the birds while they are at the show. Usually a show will last for two days, so it is required that you get a hotel room if the show is far from home. The biggest part is conditioning and prepping your birds before the show, which means giving them a bath and getting them used to being handled and used to being in a cage so that they don't get spooked and flap around when people walk past.
1 2 3