Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | FANNIBALS!
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hannibal is doing far too well overseas to be cancelled, and the ratings are even picking up in America, so I'm like 90% sure it'll get another season. I'm not sure how much content they have planned though, so no idea how many seasons will get pulled out of it.

Also Chilton is most certainly not dead, if he was he would have been shot in the forehead. Cheek shots are just there for drama.

As for the "too many women being killed" thing, it seems like there's a pretty even spread of deaths among the sexes?? Like, I'm not cool with fetishizing the torture and murder of just women, but like...the whole show is this, lol. Everyone gets murdered. I'm not sure why someone would watch the show if seeing ladies die upsets them?
Hannibal is doing far too well overseas to be cancelled, and the ratings are even picking up in America, so I'm like 90% sure it'll get another season. I'm not sure how much content they have planned though, so no idea how many seasons will get pulled out of it.

Also Chilton is most certainly not dead, if he was he would have been shot in the forehead. Cheek shots are just there for drama.

As for the "too many women being killed" thing, it seems like there's a pretty even spread of deaths among the sexes?? Like, I'm not cool with fetishizing the torture and murder of just women, but like...the whole show is this, lol. Everyone gets murdered. I'm not sure why someone would watch the show if seeing ladies die upsets them?
@Mushroomy
i'm pretty sure i remember bryan fuller saying that he wants to do 7 seasons: three of original content, one each for red dragon/silence of the lambs/hannibal, and one as a sort of epilogue.

it's not that there's too many women being killed in general, it's just that there's a definite danger of too many central women being killed, whilst most if not all of the men who are main characters get away scot-free. it hasn't happened yet, but it tends to happen on a lot of shows and movies, and i really don't want to see this happen with hannibal.
@Mushroomy
i'm pretty sure i remember bryan fuller saying that he wants to do 7 seasons: three of original content, one each for red dragon/silence of the lambs/hannibal, and one as a sort of epilogue.

it's not that there's too many women being killed in general, it's just that there's a definite danger of too many central women being killed, whilst most if not all of the men who are main characters get away scot-free. it hasn't happened yet, but it tends to happen on a lot of shows and movies, and i really don't want to see this happen with hannibal.
Part of it has to do with the fact that Fuller replaced some central male figures with a female counterparts (which I am all for! Don't get me wrong). But in the original books, the male to female ratio was very obviously skewed with women being the victims if they were present at all (and not the main character like Clarice). With a more even ratio in the show, I think it puts them at a greater risk just because numbers, not really out of any special case of them being women.
(Freddie Lounds vs. Freddy Lounds, Alana Bloom vs. Alan Bloom, and Kade Prurnell vs. Paul Krendler) Just in those four, Freddy and Paul both bite the dust in very brutal ways. Who knows how they'll fair here?

.. But honestly it doesn't mean much anymore since the series veered off-book with the deaths of Bev and Chilton. God knows what they're gonna do now.
Part of it has to do with the fact that Fuller replaced some central male figures with a female counterparts (which I am all for! Don't get me wrong). But in the original books, the male to female ratio was very obviously skewed with women being the victims if they were present at all (and not the main character like Clarice). With a more even ratio in the show, I think it puts them at a greater risk just because numbers, not really out of any special case of them being women.
(Freddie Lounds vs. Freddy Lounds, Alana Bloom vs. Alan Bloom, and Kade Prurnell vs. Paul Krendler) Just in those four, Freddy and Paul both bite the dust in very brutal ways. Who knows how they'll fair here?

.. But honestly it doesn't mean much anymore since the series veered off-book with the deaths of Bev and Chilton. God knows what they're gonna do now.
Current Project A: BORDERLANDS! Got some brights for sale/trade? Shoot me a message, son!
/WUB WUB/
Current Project B: MASS EFFECT! I'm shooting for the stars with this one. Dragons for the team, planets, and the Normandy herself! Let's talk breeding programs.
@biospock
I imagine that it will balance out as the series goes on. Gideon endured some of the worst torture in the entire show, his death was incredibly slow, not to mention that he had to endure eating himself. We already know for sure that Chilton and Mason Verger (who's not yet been shown, yes, but he's been introduced through his sister) die in the series. I'm not sure if Verger is considered a central character (certainly recurring), but Chilton most certainly is.
Really, there have not been all that many central character deaths yet at all. Abigail, Katz, and Gideon. That's pretty much it.

It seems your feelings on the matter have been tinted a bit due to Katz's death in particular. I understand where most people are coming from when they feel that her death was in bad taste, and it's already been discussed to death already by people much more articulate than I, so I won't go into it. But I do agree with most peoples' opinion that Katz was not hot-headed enough to just waltz right into Hannibal's home, and it was very out of character for her.

And yes, I agree that many shows punish female characters more harshly than males for poor decisions, or for simply existing. This likely stems from poor writing, and using a tragedy involving a woman as cheap shock value (especially sexual assault) and a method for driving male characters to act in righteous anger. That very well may have been the reason to kill off Katz as early and in such a half-***** way.
@biospock
I imagine that it will balance out as the series goes on. Gideon endured some of the worst torture in the entire show, his death was incredibly slow, not to mention that he had to endure eating himself. We already know for sure that Chilton and Mason Verger (who's not yet been shown, yes, but he's been introduced through his sister) die in the series. I'm not sure if Verger is considered a central character (certainly recurring), but Chilton most certainly is.
Really, there have not been all that many central character deaths yet at all. Abigail, Katz, and Gideon. That's pretty much it.

It seems your feelings on the matter have been tinted a bit due to Katz's death in particular. I understand where most people are coming from when they feel that her death was in bad taste, and it's already been discussed to death already by people much more articulate than I, so I won't go into it. But I do agree with most peoples' opinion that Katz was not hot-headed enough to just waltz right into Hannibal's home, and it was very out of character for her.

And yes, I agree that many shows punish female characters more harshly than males for poor decisions, or for simply existing. This likely stems from poor writing, and using a tragedy involving a woman as cheap shock value (especially sexual assault) and a method for driving male characters to act in righteous anger. That very well may have been the reason to kill off Katz as early and in such a half-***** way.
@delicatestarfish Chilton may not be dead- Fuller hinted on his twitter that Chilton is not out of the picture. Considering they were mulling over a Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal spin off as well, Chilton is highly needed as a character.

As for the treatment of women in the show, I was impressed until Katz's death and the fridging of Bella, because Bella wasn't supposed to be infirm until "Hannibal," not in Red Dragon. Her death in Hannibal (the book) was a big part of the development between Crawford and Starling, so I've been making a frowny face at the show for that.

All I can do is be grateful that none of the deaths have involved sexual assault- Fuller said there wouldn't be anything along those lines.

Edit:
For those worried about ratings, watch it on tv if you can- I don't have cable and can watch it on NBC. I then watch it on the website- only the first 72 hours count.

While I'm watching on Fridays, I live tweet using #Hannibal. It seriously does help the ratings. Retweet tweets with #Hannibal, tweet at Fuller (@BryanFuller), and @NBCHannibal. Twitter is a huge social media mover nowadays and they watch the hashtags and count them as ratings.

Also post on tumblr, use the tag Hannibal, and follow NBCHannibal on tumblr. They all help!

TL;DR If you're worried, do your part and help boost the ratings!
@delicatestarfish Chilton may not be dead- Fuller hinted on his twitter that Chilton is not out of the picture. Considering they were mulling over a Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal spin off as well, Chilton is highly needed as a character.

As for the treatment of women in the show, I was impressed until Katz's death and the fridging of Bella, because Bella wasn't supposed to be infirm until "Hannibal," not in Red Dragon. Her death in Hannibal (the book) was a big part of the development between Crawford and Starling, so I've been making a frowny face at the show for that.

All I can do is be grateful that none of the deaths have involved sexual assault- Fuller said there wouldn't be anything along those lines.

Edit:
For those worried about ratings, watch it on tv if you can- I don't have cable and can watch it on NBC. I then watch it on the website- only the first 72 hours count.

While I'm watching on Fridays, I live tweet using #Hannibal. It seriously does help the ratings. Retweet tweets with #Hannibal, tweet at Fuller (@BryanFuller), and @NBCHannibal. Twitter is a huge social media mover nowadays and they watch the hashtags and count them as ratings.

Also post on tumblr, use the tag Hannibal, and follow NBCHannibal on tumblr. They all help!

TL;DR If you're worried, do your part and help boost the ratings!
3bbc629075881e863e3343269e0d55ff28954b3a.png1f98933c3a1bf47d30c72c4799c0721a8cb4b840.pngb82c20c3c1ab36103b78411ad7251d93ac85465d.png55eefd6df9de60bdf7af3aa7a5df89316e2902b5.pnga97e47ce05a625f0f14943b39c8d12c355e5bc4d.png22843204c52cb82bb562b52cb80027c23d64845c.png68bc15ec4104340fa8341ae74bf814f32d8064bd.png...62Fzp5M.png
I'm with you @Mushroomy , I never got the impression that the show was singling out women. The number of brutal male deaths is way, way bigger than female deaths overall, and the fact that prominent female characters get killed has to do with the fact that practically everyone associated with Hannibal is in danger, and the cast is fairly small. I for one am grateful that women aren't being treated as a sacred cow when they're in the exact same circumstances as everyone else.
I'm with you @Mushroomy , I never got the impression that the show was singling out women. The number of brutal male deaths is way, way bigger than female deaths overall, and the fact that prominent female characters get killed has to do with the fact that practically everyone associated with Hannibal is in danger, and the cast is fairly small. I for one am grateful that women aren't being treated as a sacred cow when they're in the exact same circumstances as everyone else.
THE ILLNESS WILL BRING YOU PEACE.
SERENITY IS BORN FROM CERTAINTY AND YOUR SUFFERING IS CERTAIN.
I've been a fan of the series for a long time so I've been enjoying the differences between the books, the movies, and the show. Lately I've been noticing a lot of references to Hannibal Rising including the Hannibal's death dream. I'm wondering how they'll interpret his backstory.

One thing I'm hoping that will change in the show is the book's ending to Hannibal because I always hated what happened to Clarice and I'm glad they changed it for the movie.
I've been a fan of the series for a long time so I've been enjoying the differences between the books, the movies, and the show. Lately I've been noticing a lot of references to Hannibal Rising including the Hannibal's death dream. I'm wondering how they'll interpret his backstory.

One thing I'm hoping that will change in the show is the book's ending to Hannibal because I always hated what happened to Clarice and I'm glad they changed it for the movie.
Tilling my own grave to keep me level
Jam another dragon down the hole
/CHARGES IN I FOUND A FANNIBALS THREAD

Yo. B)

Speaking as someone who's read all the books and seen all the movies--?

I freaking LOVE the show. It's so WONDERFULLY DONE that I just cannot stand it sometimes. I am genuinely looking forward to seeing all the ways that Bryan Fuller's going to retell the traditional arcs of Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal because thus far, he's done a wonderful job of showing an homage to Thomas Harris's works.

I'm also not too chuffed about the deaths of folks either; it's Hannibal. People are going to be killed and eaten and, thus far, it really does seem like there's more male deaths than female ones to me and I certainly don't count Abigail as dead yet: until we see a body, she's not dead. But I'm not keeping track.

Either way, I'm genuinely looking forward to the finale for this season because I want to see what the crap is going to happen and how Crawford's going to get out of the opening scene's situation.
/CHARGES IN I FOUND A FANNIBALS THREAD

Yo. B)

Speaking as someone who's read all the books and seen all the movies--?

I freaking LOVE the show. It's so WONDERFULLY DONE that I just cannot stand it sometimes. I am genuinely looking forward to seeing all the ways that Bryan Fuller's going to retell the traditional arcs of Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal because thus far, he's done a wonderful job of showing an homage to Thomas Harris's works.

I'm also not too chuffed about the deaths of folks either; it's Hannibal. People are going to be killed and eaten and, thus far, it really does seem like there's more male deaths than female ones to me and I certainly don't count Abigail as dead yet: until we see a body, she's not dead. But I'm not keeping track.

Either way, I'm genuinely looking forward to the finale for this season because I want to see what the crap is going to happen and how Crawford's going to get out of the opening scene's situation.
--
a writer is a world trapped in a person.

And thus I clothe my naked villany with odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ, and seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
I have honestly been really disappointed with season 2. Bryan Fuller is ruining the show, there's too many plot holes and things that don't make sense, he's 'killing' crucial characters (chilton) for shock and he's catering to young teenage fans too much and putting so much gay subtext between Will and Hannibal in the show that it's not even shipping anymore, it's just obvious. The last episode was really bad too. I don't think the show is going to make it to season 3

Oh also as far as I've seen, I don't think the show is doing too well overseas? At least not in Australia. I have not even seen any previews for the show on TV and normally there would be. It's probably not going to air here at all so that pretty much shows how much the show is failing.
I have honestly been really disappointed with season 2. Bryan Fuller is ruining the show, there's too many plot holes and things that don't make sense, he's 'killing' crucial characters (chilton) for shock and he's catering to young teenage fans too much and putting so much gay subtext between Will and Hannibal in the show that it's not even shipping anymore, it's just obvious. The last episode was really bad too. I don't think the show is going to make it to season 3

Oh also as far as I've seen, I don't think the show is doing too well overseas? At least not in Australia. I have not even seen any previews for the show on TV and normally there would be. It's probably not going to air here at all so that pretty much shows how much the show is failing.
@TealSkeletore Hmm...I am not familiar with the source material so I don't have much of an opinion about the plot holes and crucial characters. Generally speaking, though, I don't think there's anything wrong with departing from the original story when it's pretty clear that this is not a straight-up adaptation to begin with.

I did want to talk about the subtext, though, as someone who is not a young teenage fan. I actually like it. Not because of titillation purposes, however, because god knows this isn't a nice and happy relationship. It's incredibly messed up and twisted and awful because of what it's doing to Will and how amusing it is to Hannibal. It's not a relationship to fawn over, but instead one that is so fundamentally wrong that it's hard not to be fascinated by it.
I guess you could say I'm a person who doesn't like half-measures, at least not in stories like these. I like larger-than-life characters and larger-than-life relations between those characters. Whatever makes a crisper story, I guess, if that makes sense. Part of this is personal taste but the bottom line is I don't think the subtext is there to please fangirls. I think it's there because it deepens the perversity of an already perverse relationship, just by intensifying it.
@TealSkeletore Hmm...I am not familiar with the source material so I don't have much of an opinion about the plot holes and crucial characters. Generally speaking, though, I don't think there's anything wrong with departing from the original story when it's pretty clear that this is not a straight-up adaptation to begin with.

I did want to talk about the subtext, though, as someone who is not a young teenage fan. I actually like it. Not because of titillation purposes, however, because god knows this isn't a nice and happy relationship. It's incredibly messed up and twisted and awful because of what it's doing to Will and how amusing it is to Hannibal. It's not a relationship to fawn over, but instead one that is so fundamentally wrong that it's hard not to be fascinated by it.
I guess you could say I'm a person who doesn't like half-measures, at least not in stories like these. I like larger-than-life characters and larger-than-life relations between those characters. Whatever makes a crisper story, I guess, if that makes sense. Part of this is personal taste but the bottom line is I don't think the subtext is there to please fangirls. I think it's there because it deepens the perversity of an already perverse relationship, just by intensifying it.
THE ILLNESS WILL BRING YOU PEACE.
SERENITY IS BORN FROM CERTAINTY AND YOUR SUFFERING IS CERTAIN.
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11