Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | An Apology for Beastclans on the Rise
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 65 66
Oh hey! That's actually a really cool update on your guys' part. Thank you for doing this! I know rewriting lore can be a lengthy and difficult process, but this change was for the better. We appreciate your hard work!
Oh hey! That's actually a really cool update on your guys' part. Thank you for doing this! I know rewriting lore can be a lengthy and difficult process, but this change was for the better. We appreciate your hard work!
841EblB.gif
[quote name="Aequorin" date="2022-12-15 06:10:06" ] Hello @Pippatis. It is not censorship when we are the ones making the change ourselves to our own story on our own website. Please [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/3193191/38#post_52948297]read Undel's reply[/url][/b], as she covers the issue of conflict and why we made this change. Thank you. [/quote] Thank you for answering. I understand, and I appreciate that you are not erasing all evidence of past deeds from the site. I of course can live with it if this is genuinely what you and the team wanted to do because you changed your minds and intentions about your story - it happens all the time, and as it should! It's your intellectual property. All I hope for, though, is that you did not do it because you felt pressured to do so by a subset of the community. Of course, I don't know what the answer to that is, but I just wanted to put it out there.
Aequorin wrote on 2022-12-15 06:10:06:
Hello @Pippatis. It is not censorship when we are the ones making the change ourselves to our own story on our own website. Please read Undel's reply, as she covers the issue of conflict and why we made this change. Thank you.

Thank you for answering. I understand, and I appreciate that you are not erasing all evidence of past deeds from the site. I of course can live with it if this is genuinely what you and the team wanted to do because you changed your minds and intentions about your story - it happens all the time, and as it should! It's your intellectual property.

All I hope for, though, is that you did not do it because you felt pressured to do so by a subset of the community. Of course, I don't know what the answer to that is, but I just wanted to put it out there.
*perks up* Ooooh, waitaminite, what is that about Ice maybe not freezing stuff forever? I never noticed that one! That one sounds super interesting! :D
*perks up* Ooooh, waitaminite, what is that about Ice maybe not freezing stuff forever? I never noticed that one! That one sounds super interesting! :D
Something that I thought of last night - are the coded slips going to change at all? Since they were the lead-up to the original lore.
Something that I thought of last night - are the coded slips going to change at all? Since they were the lead-up to the original lore.
I'm glad to see this being addressed and excited to get new lore for the Beastclans. Is there a schedule for when the other Beastclans' revised lore will be released?
I'm glad to see this being addressed and excited to get new lore for the Beastclans. Is there a schedule for when the other Beastclans' revised lore will be released?

-Oncilla
-She/her

[quote name="@Pippatis" date="2022-12-15 06:06:15" ] -snip- I truly think this is a non-issue. Referencing something that happened in life is nothing like encouraging it. It seems like a worse idea to try and censor it, change the lore, act like it didn't happen, because when people start to forget, it paves the way for it happen again. We're human beings. Our experiences and knowledge are what define us and our values. Our own thoughts and known history will always make it into our creative work - that's what makes it authentic. We are also flawed, and make mistakes. I think it is better to remain aware of them, and sometimes to accept that cruelty exists in the world rather than pretending it doesn't. The world will never be all sunshine and rainbows, and if it was, we'd all live in a barren desert anyways. -snip- [/quote] I just want to add some perspective from the other side as a poc. It [b]hurts[/b] when your family's history, when your country's history, is used as a way to provide just some seasoning or conflict to a story, especially a story about pg-13 dragons. The parallels are there, and fiction does impact reality. I don't think we should censor, but simultaneously not all stories are everyone's to tell, and while you can technically write anything down and send it out into the great wide world there are people there on the other side consuming these stories. People need to be educated on these topics but this isn’t a topic that just anyone has the skill or experience to handle respectfully the way that it should be. The parallels to real world colonialism were very real, and it left a bad taste in many people's mouths. There are so many other ways to add fun conflict and depth to this world that don't have to do with large scale tragedy. This isn't censorship, this is a team maturing and realizing that this wasn't a story they wanted to tell anymore, nor was this sort of narrative the type of narrative one that was theirs to tell. They were not equipped with the sensitivity or experiences to properly tell it either. I'm glad they retconned it for a fresh start. It hurts when the game you love so much has this aspect of such personal tragedy, and we lose nothing in this silly dragon.png game by the devs choosing to take another direction with their story
@Pippatis wrote on 2022-12-15 06:06:15:
-snip-

I truly think this is a non-issue. Referencing something that happened in life is nothing like encouraging it. It seems like a worse idea to try and censor it, change the lore, act like it didn't happen, because when people start to forget, it paves the way for it happen again.

We're human beings. Our experiences and knowledge are what define us and our values. Our own thoughts and known history will always make it into our creative work - that's what makes it authentic. We are also flawed, and make mistakes. I think it is better to remain aware of them, and sometimes to accept that cruelty exists in the world rather than pretending it doesn't. The world will never be all sunshine and rainbows, and if it was, we'd all live in a barren desert anyways.

-snip-

I just want to add some perspective from the other side as a poc. It hurts when your family's history, when your country's history, is used as a way to provide just some seasoning or conflict to a story, especially a story about pg-13 dragons. The parallels are there, and fiction does impact reality. I don't think we should censor, but simultaneously not all stories are everyone's to tell, and while you can technically write anything down and send it out into the great wide world there are people there on the other side consuming these stories. People need to be educated on these topics but this isn’t a topic that just anyone has the skill or experience to handle respectfully the way that it should be.

The parallels to real world colonialism were very real, and it left a bad taste in many people's mouths. There are so many other ways to add fun conflict and depth to this world that don't have to do with large scale tragedy. This isn't censorship, this is a team maturing and realizing that this wasn't a story they wanted to tell anymore, nor was this sort of narrative the type of narrative one that was theirs to tell. They were not equipped with the sensitivity or experiences to properly tell it either. I'm glad they retconned it for a fresh start.

It hurts when the game you love so much has this aspect of such personal tragedy, and we lose nothing in this silly dragon.png game by the devs choosing to take another direction with their story
Maybe editing undel's response into the front post might help?

But!! Bless you in general for these changes. I'm not POC so I can only say so much, but it feels like a breath of fresh air to see higher ups willing to address these things.
Maybe editing undel's response into the front post might help?

But!! Bless you in general for these changes. I'm not POC so I can only say so much, but it feels like a breath of fresh air to see higher ups willing to address these things.
jI3vBKu.gif ...........

This is a nice change, and I love the potential for more beastclan stuff in the future (perhaps a beastclan festival/mini festival, or beastclans offering goods at the grand exchange/trading post??). I can't wait for more encyclopaedia entries for the others as well, it's cool that they're written in just as much detail as the dragon breeds

I assume there's nothing stopping anyone's clans/dragons from being at war with the beastclans anyway in their own personal lore if they so wish, but isn't it just nicer in general that, by default, everyone's dragons aren't being actively violent against beastclans?
This is a nice change, and I love the potential for more beastclan stuff in the future (perhaps a beastclan festival/mini festival, or beastclans offering goods at the grand exchange/trading post??). I can't wait for more encyclopaedia entries for the others as well, it's cool that they're written in just as much detail as the dragon breeds

I assume there's nothing stopping anyone's clans/dragons from being at war with the beastclans anyway in their own personal lore if they so wish, but isn't it just nicer in general that, by default, everyone's dragons aren't being actively violent against beastclans?
Ghetsis' sprite from Pokémon Black and White.
Pixel plasma frigate animation (art by me) Ghetsis' sprite from Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
I've seen the Baldwin thing come up a lot. Perhaps we should consider writing it into the lore what "transmuting" familiars really means, as Undel's response says. I feel like it's going to be one of the things that won't stop coming up and being misunderstood until it's clearly defined in the lore.
I've seen the Baldwin thing come up a lot. Perhaps we should consider writing it into the lore what "transmuting" familiars really means, as Undel's response says. I feel like it's going to be one of the things that won't stop coming up and being misunderstood until it's clearly defined in the lore.
Neurodivergent Nonbinary Adult
Any Pronouns, No Preference

I have a processing disorder and I'm notoriously awful at math so patience is highly appreciated.

Feel free to ping me; I appreciate serious and silly pings!

My Questboard and Wishlist!
Very excited about this! The Beastclans have never interested me much - I tend to be drawn to more animal than humanoid monster designs - but I love this expansion on their culture! That scene is just gorgeous, and the Beastclans being on more equal footing with Dragons makes for a dynamic that I'm more interested in exploring in my lore. Also, somewhat related: I think it'd be cool to one day be able to fight Shadetouched Dragons in Coli - maybe in Adventure mode? - to represent that part of the Coli lore. My ideal mechanic would be that they'd spawn rarely and defeating them would have a chance of dropping a randomly generated, all-basic G1 [similar to egg drops], but that's incredibly wishful thinking lol. Edit: Found this post that basically said what I wanted to say in the first paragraph but better [emoji=wildclaw happy size=1] [quote name="hemotypewriter" date="2022-12-14 15:51:34" ] Really excited for this new direction! Having richer views of the varied cultures in Sornieth rather than the limited scope of "vaguely described enemy species" sounds like a lot more fun of a space to play in. [/quote]
Very excited about this! The Beastclans have never interested me much - I tend to be drawn to more animal than humanoid monster designs - but I love this expansion on their culture! That scene is just gorgeous, and the Beastclans being on more equal footing with Dragons makes for a dynamic that I'm more interested in exploring in my lore.

Also, somewhat related: I think it'd be cool to one day be able to fight Shadetouched Dragons in Coli - maybe in Adventure mode? - to represent that part of the Coli lore. My ideal mechanic would be that they'd spawn rarely and defeating them would have a chance of dropping a randomly generated, all-basic G1 [similar to egg drops], but that's incredibly wishful thinking lol.

Edit: Found this post that basically said what I wanted to say in the first paragraph but better
hemotypewriter wrote on 2022-12-14 15:51:34:
Really excited for this new direction! Having richer views of the varied cultures in Sornieth rather than the limited scope of "vaguely described enemy species" sounds like a lot more fun of a space to play in.
!! signature under construction !!
1 2 ... 59 60 61 62 63 ... 65 66