Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gathering: /actual/ Leveling *6 YEARS...
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 71 72
I spend all my turns every day getting food, otherwise I would never have enough. I'd love to scavenge or dig once in a while, but with the current system, I wouldn't be able to get feed my dragons if I did. Please increase the amount of items you get at higher levels, I'm tired of my dragons bringing home a single ant or blade of grass; I almost never get more than one or two items from my gather turns and I'm over level ten in all my professions. I have super crappy luck lol.
I spend all my turns every day getting food, otherwise I would never have enough. I'd love to scavenge or dig once in a while, but with the current system, I wouldn't be able to get feed my dragons if I did. Please increase the amount of items you get at higher levels, I'm tired of my dragons bringing home a single ant or blade of grass; I almost never get more than one or two items from my gather turns and I'm over level ten in all my professions. I have super crappy luck lol.
vtCaSWn.png
I have a suggestion thread about gathering over here: http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=969255&p=mb that you might find interesting! I agree that something definitely needs to be done.
I have a suggestion thread about gathering over here: http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=969255&p=mb that you might find interesting! I agree that something definitely needs to be done.
I'd be fine with the system if the unlocked items came in addition to the existent ones, not as a part of the same probability. Just like the festival currency does.

Basically, as a simplified example:

Level 1:
10% probability of getting 1-5 of item A
10% probability of getting 1-5 of item B

Level 2:
5% probability of getting 1-5 of item A (meaning you could get two stacks in one turn now)
5% probability of getting 1-2 of item C

Level 3:
5% probability of getting 1-5 of item A
10% probability of getting 1-5 of item D
1% probability of getting 1 of item E

And so forth... It would be still dependent on the RNG, but the amount of things you get on average would be higher.
I'd be fine with the system if the unlocked items came in addition to the existent ones, not as a part of the same probability. Just like the festival currency does.

Basically, as a simplified example:

Level 1:

Level 2:
5% probability of getting 1-5 of item A (meaning you could get two stacks in one turn now)

Level 3:
5% probability of getting 1-5 of item A
10% probability of getting 1-5 of item D
1% probability of getting 1 of item E

And so forth... It would be still dependent on the RNG, but the amount of things you get on average would be higher.
That's brilliant, @Shienvien!
That's brilliant, @Shienvien!
I know the moderators have posted here, but honestly, going from a 1/10 chance of finding something to a 1/20 chance?

Let's do some math:
Say you're digging for a penny jar. Lower levels have a 10% of finding a penny jar. Higher levels? 5%

If they added in something that reduced the chance of finding junk at higher levels, that would be great. Still the same 20 item pool, just less of a chance of bringing home 1 sand/salt/useless thing for higher levels. The leveling system works against the players, as seen by this thread, and really needs to be overhauled.
I know the moderators have posted here, but honestly, going from a 1/10 chance of finding something to a 1/20 chance?

Let's do some math:
Say you're digging for a penny jar. Lower levels have a 10% of finding a penny jar. Higher levels? 5%

If they added in something that reduced the chance of finding junk at higher levels, that would be great. Still the same 20 item pool, just less of a chance of bringing home 1 sand/salt/useless thing for higher levels. The leveling system works against the players, as seen by this thread, and really needs to be overhauled.
beep bop boop
I am supporting this. However instead of making junk items drop less often I would suggest making them drop in greater quantities as you level up. That 2 food pt. item that you got doesn't sting as much when you are pulling in 20 of them at a time. This way we can keep the junk items as a solid base, not devalue the price of rare items, and see an increasing profit as we level.

Also people, try and take it easy on the mods. I've seen some fairly charged language on this topic and it is not helping anyone.
I am supporting this. However instead of making junk items drop less often I would suggest making them drop in greater quantities as you level up. That 2 food pt. item that you got doesn't sting as much when you are pulling in 20 of them at a time. This way we can keep the junk items as a solid base, not devalue the price of rare items, and see an increasing profit as we level.

Also people, try and take it easy on the mods. I've seen some fairly charged language on this topic and it is not helping anyone.
r7t2d2.png
I skipped the middle pages, but on the whole I agree with this thread - it's a bit disheartening to watch your level go up and the worth of what you get go down... :) I think that putting caps on both max and min items per turn would be a good way to balance it? Say at lvl 1 you can get min 1, max 3-4, but at lvl 15, you'd get a minimum of 5 things per turn, maximum 15? etc. You get the idea. :)
I skipped the middle pages, but on the whole I agree with this thread - it's a bit disheartening to watch your level go up and the worth of what you get go down... :) I think that putting caps on both max and min items per turn would be a good way to balance it? Say at lvl 1 you can get min 1, max 3-4, but at lvl 15, you'd get a minimum of 5 things per turn, maximum 15? etc. You get the idea. :)
tumblr-o4yu8g-UBh-N1uvtnbto1-400-2.png
As a hunter/gatherer etc, I personally find you do notice a difference in levels. You get access to better food as your level increases. At level one I was flood with items that were 1-2 food points each and worth little, now that I'm lvl 20 hunting, I not only consistently receive a lot of 5-6 food point items, but I also get a few nice rares like the cobras (that sell for a high price in the AH) that I didn't have access to at low levels. Not to mention, I hear you can only find the rare familiars after a certain level point, although I've yet to be lucky enough to find one.

I long ago gave up on things like digging and scavenging as I found their likelihood of any good items to be too low for me. I'd reached lvl 15 in scavenging for example and only ever found one egg and absolutely nothing else of value in the many weeks it took me to get to that level. The hunting and other food turns, however, prove to be a constant source of easy money as people always need to buy food, so you can sell your excess for good prices.

So yeah, tl:dr, but basically the levelling does make a noticeable difference in food turns. Maybe it's just not as easy to see with the junk you get from the other turn based things.
As a hunter/gatherer etc, I personally find you do notice a difference in levels. You get access to better food as your level increases. At level one I was flood with items that were 1-2 food points each and worth little, now that I'm lvl 20 hunting, I not only consistently receive a lot of 5-6 food point items, but I also get a few nice rares like the cobras (that sell for a high price in the AH) that I didn't have access to at low levels. Not to mention, I hear you can only find the rare familiars after a certain level point, although I've yet to be lucky enough to find one.

I long ago gave up on things like digging and scavenging as I found their likelihood of any good items to be too low for me. I'd reached lvl 15 in scavenging for example and only ever found one egg and absolutely nothing else of value in the many weeks it took me to get to that level. The hunting and other food turns, however, prove to be a constant source of easy money as people always need to buy food, so you can sell your excess for good prices.

So yeah, tl:dr, but basically the levelling does make a noticeable difference in food turns. Maybe it's just not as easy to see with the junk you get from the other turn based things.
Even the food system is flawed though. If I send out my lair of ten to twenty dragons at level fifteen and they bring back a single moth there's a problem.
Even the food system is flawed though. If I send out my lair of ten to twenty dragons at level fifteen and they bring back a single moth there's a problem.
"Lay your head down child, I wont let the boogeyman come.
Count the bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums."

WINDSINGER_sig.png
Just popping back in here to quote what Undel said in the newsletter thread, since I know few people would have seen it: [quote name="Undel" date="2013-10-08 12:57:11"] Actually in 99% of the cases, the items do hold more value. Our gathering system is a rarity system, so when we add a new 1-star item to the pool, it only competes against other 1-star items for if it will be drawn. The 1-star doesn't compete with existing 4 and 5 star items. In the 1-star example, in levels 1-10 of the food gathering professions they tend to be worth 2-4 food points. In levels 11-20 the new food items added at the 1-star rarity are 4-6 food points each and sell for more, so having them added to the pool only adds to the amount of food you can gather. About that 99% of the cases - there's two special cases where adding items does devalue a certain bracket. Broken penny jars and broken bone bottles. These were special outlier items and are far and above the value of other commonly gathered items. So digging and scavenging do take a hit when new items are added to the same table; however, all the other tables get a boost in sell value, so on average even in these professions will still yield higher value gathers at higher levels. :-) I hope this helps to clarify what happens when new items are added to the pool. As you level up, these new items are going to be worth more in terms of food and sell value, so having new items and leveling up is a good thing![/quote] [quote name="Undel" date="2013-10-08 14:39:08"][quote name="Prism" date="2013-10-08 14:17:05"]Do you mean, that it calculates whether you get a 1-5 star item first, then picks from a pool of those items? And if so, is it an equal chance, or does higher star item chances increase with level?[/quote] When you gather it decides which tier of item to pull (1-6), then from within that tier it selects a random item. It then does a random chance to gather again, and the same thing happens. This is why you can sometimes pull up 4-5 stacks of items with a single pull. So the 1-star items only compete with other 1 start items when new ones are added to the table, and the ones that we add as you level up are worth more food/sell value. :-)[/quote] This does make the behavior of the gathering system a little clearer for me, but it also gives me an idea as to why the system seems so backwards. For food, which [i]should[/i] be the most noticeably improving type of gathering, I am still seeing no real advantage even after steadily levelling forage and insect catching over the week. In fact, it seems as if my gathered food point total has been going [i]down[/i] every day. D: There are a few things I can think of to explain this: 1) the system is actually broken or bugged, 2) just extreme bad luck, but given how many people seem to have this issue, I am thinking this may not be the case, or 3) the difference in food points is just so tiny that even if [i]on average[/i] you are getting more food points, it's practically unnoticeable given how little food you get each day. I think most of the issue though, with gathering, is that the supposedly more valuable items being added are still essentially junk - making the few actual worthwhile items even harder to get. So in terms of actual worth, even those items that are supposedly worth more aren't actually making gathering more lucrative, since the tiny amount of additional treasure they are worth makes little to no difference when compared to things like scavenged eggs or chests. And those things do seem to get much, much harder to find the higher level you are. The same goes for food, where a lair of 20 dragons can't bring in more food than a lair of just two, and even all max gathering levels likely won't bring in enough food to feed anything more than 30-40 or so dragons. Which forces people to grind for hours online if they want to keep the game playable. @Shienvien has a fantastic suggestion though, which I think would make much more sense, since right now, the higher value items are being added to a random pool of lower-value items, so the chance of getting them is still incredibly low when compared to how much of it is indeed just junk. Making the amount of stuff you get per level higher with each level, and making the higher value stuff appear in [i]addition to[/i] (rather than competing with) the low value stuff, would go a long way to making gathering more reasonable and make it seem less backwards. XD Even if number-wise it looks like you're getting better stuff, in reality, the larger pools of random items aren't making a real difference because what's being added just isn't noticeably more valuable or appearing often enough.
Just popping back in here to quote what Undel said in the newsletter thread, since I know few people would have seen it:

Undel wrote on 2013-10-08 12:57:11:
Actually in 99% of the cases, the items do hold more value. Our gathering system is a rarity system, so when we add a new 1-star item to the pool, it only competes against other 1-star items for if it will be drawn. The 1-star doesn't compete with existing 4 and 5 star items.

In the 1-star example, in levels 1-10 of the food gathering professions they tend to be worth 2-4 food points. In levels 11-20 the new food items added at the 1-star rarity are 4-6 food points each and sell for more, so having them added to the pool only adds to the amount of food you can gather.

About that 99% of the cases - there's two special cases where adding items does devalue a certain bracket. Broken penny jars and broken bone bottles. These were special outlier items and are far and above the value of other commonly gathered items. So digging and scavenging do take a hit when new items are added to the same table; however, all the other tables get a boost in sell value, so on average even in these professions will still yield higher value gathers at higher levels. :-)

I hope this helps to clarify what happens when new items are added to the pool. As you level up, these new items are going to be worth more in terms of food and sell value, so having new items and leveling up is a good thing!
Undel wrote on 2013-10-08 14:39:08:
Prism wrote on 2013-10-08 14:17:05:
Do you mean, that it calculates whether you get a 1-5 star item first, then picks from a pool of those items? And if so, is it an equal chance, or does higher star item chances increase with level?

When you gather it decides which tier of item to pull (1-6), then from within that tier it selects a random item. It then does a random chance to gather again, and the same thing happens. This is why you can sometimes pull up 4-5 stacks of items with a single pull.

So the 1-star items only compete with other 1 start items when new ones are added to the table, and the ones that we add as you level up are worth more food/sell value. :-)

This does make the behavior of the gathering system a little clearer for me, but it also gives me an idea as to why the system seems so backwards. For food, which should be the most noticeably improving type of gathering, I am still seeing no real advantage even after steadily levelling forage and insect catching over the week. In fact, it seems as if my gathered food point total has been going down every day. D: There are a few things I can think of to explain this: 1) the system is actually broken or bugged, 2) just extreme bad luck, but given how many people seem to have this issue, I am thinking this may not be the case, or 3) the difference in food points is just so tiny that even if on average you are getting more food points, it's practically unnoticeable given how little food you get each day.

I think most of the issue though, with gathering, is that the supposedly more valuable items being added are still essentially junk - making the few actual worthwhile items even harder to get. So in terms of actual worth, even those items that are supposedly worth more aren't actually making gathering more lucrative, since the tiny amount of additional treasure they are worth makes little to no difference when compared to things like scavenged eggs or chests. And those things do seem to get much, much harder to find the higher level you are. The same goes for food, where a lair of 20 dragons can't bring in more food than a lair of just two, and even all max gathering levels likely won't bring in enough food to feed anything more than 30-40 or so dragons. Which forces people to grind for hours online if they want to keep the game playable.

@Shienvien has a fantastic suggestion though, which I think would make much more sense, since right now, the higher value items are being added to a random pool of lower-value items, so the chance of getting them is still incredibly low when compared to how much of it is indeed just junk. Making the amount of stuff you get per level higher with each level, and making the higher value stuff appear in addition to (rather than competing with) the low value stuff, would go a long way to making gathering more reasonable and make it seem less backwards. XD Even if number-wise it looks like you're getting better stuff, in reality, the larger pools of random items aren't making a real difference because what's being added just isn't noticeably more valuable or appearing often enough.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 71 72