Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Secondary Gene Suggestions
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 64
I really like the Rorschach idea OwO
I really like the Rorschach idea OwO
0922J2U.pngXNtD94z.pngXNtD94z.pngU21ClwL.png
I'm supporting some already mentioned:
  • Butterfly. As mentioned, there's lots of types here to choose from.
  • Rorschach - this would give an interesting pattern without looking as flowery as some.
  • Peacock - Because it would be fun to breed an eyespot to a peacock and see what babies got what.
  • Infected - Pus, boils, veins...that sort of thing. For a scary-looking dragon.
I'm supporting some already mentioned:
  • Butterfly. As mentioned, there's lots of types here to choose from.
  • Rorschach - this would give an interesting pattern without looking as flowery as some.
  • Peacock - Because it would be fun to breed an eyespot to a peacock and see what babies got what.
  • Infected - Pus, boils, veins...that sort of thing. For a scary-looking dragon.
Peacock, you've already gotten a good start on it (see picture below XD) :) I think it'd be similar to eyespots but a more elaborate pattern perhaps and it wouldn't use the same three color palatte as Seraph and Eyespots and things but like, different colors? Maybe that'd be a pain in the butt, but I think it'd be quite pretty.

oikOs6L.png
Peacock, you've already gotten a good start on it (see picture below XD) :) I think it'd be similar to eyespots but a more elaborate pattern perhaps and it wouldn't use the same three color palatte as Seraph and Eyespots and things but like, different colors? Maybe that'd be a pain in the butt, but I think it'd be quite pretty.

oikOs6L.png
tumblr_ntrk5fRxsj1sk2f1lo1_500.png
[quote name="Time" date="2013-06-28 15:11:40" url="main.php?p=mb&board=sug&page=3&id=736#196339"] [*] A marbeling effect would be gorgeous! [img]http://tilenet.net/admin/guploads/.MARBLE-EmperadorDarkMaron.jpg[/img] [/quote] This! I came here to make that suggestion. A cracked or vieny look like this would be really cool.
[*] A marbeling effect would be gorgeous!
.MARBLE-EmperadorDarkMaron.jpg

This! I came here to make that suggestion. A cracked or vieny look like this would be really cool.
I like the idea for see-through wings, where you can see "veins" or "lines" in the wing. Flowers, leaves, bats, insects--there are many different things to look at for ideas on this.

:)
I like the idea for see-through wings, where you can see "veins" or "lines" in the wing. Flowers, leaves, bats, insects--there are many different things to look at for ideas on this.

:)
Imp_Banner_zps8ccf16c0.png
A lot of people are posting ideas of like patterns and textures here, but honestly my favorite genes are the ones that don't seem to be based on any one repeating pattern. Eyespot and clown for example, they're basically just really pretty designs, but there's no texture covering the whole dragon, or any pattern repeating too much.

That being said, out of all the things I've seen, the vein idea is probably the one I would be most interested in actually having on my dragons.
A lot of people are posting ideas of like patterns and textures here, but honestly my favorite genes are the ones that don't seem to be based on any one repeating pattern. Eyespot and clown for example, they're basically just really pretty designs, but there's no texture covering the whole dragon, or any pattern repeating too much.

That being said, out of all the things I've seen, the vein idea is probably the one I would be most interested in actually having on my dragons.
PROTECT. INFECT. REJECT.
plague_banner.png
Complex Secondary genes, likely best for Shimmer, Eyespot, and Seraph.

In certain portions of the design/shading, the tertiary color shows up. Like the eyespots being filled, or the Shimmer getting an extra band of color (Which would be great because shimmer doesn't show up as nicely/strongly on all colors), and Seraph gets an extra band of color, or edging?
Complex Secondary genes, likely best for Shimmer, Eyespot, and Seraph.

In certain portions of the design/shading, the tertiary color shows up. Like the eyespots being filled, or the Shimmer getting an extra band of color (Which would be great because shimmer doesn't show up as nicely/strongly on all colors), and Seraph gets an extra band of color, or edging?
Nemi, personally I do not think that secondary genes should pull in the tertiary color; the way the genes are done it would mean that for each secondary color for the 'Complex Secondary Gene' there would have to be 67 different versions to include the tertiary color; which means there'd be a total of 4489 versions
Nemi, personally I do not think that secondary genes should pull in the tertiary color; the way the genes are done it would mean that for each secondary color for the 'Complex Secondary Gene' there would have to be 67 different versions to include the tertiary color; which means there'd be a total of 4489 versions
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
Why are more combonations bad? I mean, how many combonations are there for you dragon already, and then we add in apparel options.

Or are you refering to difficulty in making the 'skins?'

It depends on how the dragon is generated from the genes. Is each piece of art unique? Or do genes determine the masking of layers applied? Or is eache piece fetched from the server?

The latter two seems most likely, considering the apparel options. If that's the case using tertiary gene colors to accent secondary patterns shouldn't be that much of a problem. With masking the ease is obvious, if each thing is fetched...Could be a problem, or not. A complex secondary would just be fetching two units instead of two.
Why are more combonations bad? I mean, how many combonations are there for you dragon already, and then we add in apparel options.

Or are you refering to difficulty in making the 'skins?'

It depends on how the dragon is generated from the genes. Is each piece of art unique? Or do genes determine the masking of layers applied? Or is eache piece fetched from the server?

The latter two seems most likely, considering the apparel options. If that's the case using tertiary gene colors to accent secondary patterns shouldn't be that much of a problem. With masking the ease is obvious, if each thing is fetched...Could be a problem, or not. A complex secondary would just be fetching two units instead of two.
I'm talking about the work the artists have to do to color all the genes. There was a live streams of the work on the seraph gene; they did the base pattern and then for each of the 67 different colors they filled in each of the corresponding colors rather than using a filter to quickly color them. Since they do that; if they were to pull in tertiary colors they'd have a lot more work to do since for each wing color they'd have to then pull in each of the possible tertiary colors. I think the reason they color them that way is for consistency since each color is given a specific light and dark shade as someone has kindly demonstrated in the extended color wheel below. [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CDZsnu1_8Dc/UeCHDoO3RoI/AAAAAAAAAlU/pHiOfbgTdss/s500-no/colorwheel-x-g-w.png[/img] I think how the images themselves are generated; I suspect the server fetches the body, wings, tertiary and appareal to generate the image especially since you occasionally have the old image remain for a bit after adding a gene or changing a breed. By having separate secondary and tertiary genes it means the artists have a lot less work to do while still giving all the variations. If tertiary genes to compliment the existing primary and secondary genes were added (like some of those that were suggested in the tertiary genes post were added) the artists would only have to do 67 versions (or 201 versions if they released a complete set of complimentary of primary, secondary and tertiary genes); rather than the 4489 versions a 'complex secondary gene' would require. Having them as tertiary genes it actually gives more variety because they could be used with any other combination of genes. ((As a note the numbers I quoted are for just one breed of dragon))
I'm talking about the work the artists have to do to color all the genes. There was a live streams of the work on the seraph gene; they did the base pattern and then for each of the 67 different colors they filled in each of the corresponding colors rather than using a filter to quickly color them. Since they do that; if they were to pull in tertiary colors they'd have a lot more work to do since for each wing color they'd have to then pull in each of the possible tertiary colors.
I think the reason they color them that way is for consistency since each color is given a specific light and dark shade as someone has kindly demonstrated in the extended color wheel below.
colorwheel-x-g-w.png

I think how the images themselves are generated; I suspect the server fetches the body, wings, tertiary and appareal to generate the image especially since you occasionally have the old image remain for a bit after adding a gene or changing a breed.

By having separate secondary and tertiary genes it means the artists have a lot less work to do while still giving all the variations. If tertiary genes to compliment the existing primary and secondary genes were added (like some of those that were suggested in the tertiary genes post were added) the artists would only have to do 67 versions (or 201 versions if they released a complete set of complimentary of primary, secondary and tertiary genes); rather than the 4489 versions a 'complex secondary gene' would require. Having them as tertiary genes it actually gives more variety because they could be used with any other combination of genes.

((As a note the numbers I quoted are for just one breed of dragon))
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 63 64