Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | On Breed Specific Gene Scrolls
1 2
I think it could be nice but it needs so many related changes that makes it unfeasible - for example, prices. As in the top example, Underbelly for moderns is 150k, for ancients 75k, how will buying work? You'll buy for 150k and will be refunded 75k on application? How will dom bonuses and flash sales then work? Aforementioned mobile issues also have a plain old "I forgot this breed doesn't have this gene" partner issue (mentioned in the OP, even), so there should be some sort of a return system, but currently the only "return" is hoardselling at only 10% of the price.
I think it could be nice but it needs so many related changes that makes it unfeasible - for example, prices. As in the top example, Underbelly for moderns is 150k, for ancients 75k, how will buying work? You'll buy for 150k and will be refunded 75k on application? How will dom bonuses and flash sales then work? Aforementioned mobile issues also have a plain old "I forgot this breed doesn't have this gene" partner issue (mentioned in the OP, even), so there should be some sort of a return system, but currently the only "return" is hoardselling at only 10% of the price.
JQQ3Fjt.png
For the price discrepancy: We keep our one scroll item for all Moderns, and then have one condensed scroll item for all (currently compatible) Ancients? "Underbelly" and "Underbelly (Ancient)" is far less cluttered than Underbelly + 1 separate Underbelly scroll item for every Ancient that releases. [quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-12-04 22:28:18" ] The thing is, even if that’s easy to implement programmatically, it’ll be a nightmare for anyone playing on mobile. On mobile, tooltips may not pop up at all, or may pop up under the buyer confirmation, so half the time it’ll be impossible to see which breeds a scroll is valid for. And I buy the wrong one half the time even with it in the name :) [/quote] Sounds janky indeed, though that's an issue solely with the site's mobile compatibility and isn't working as intended. It's likely being worked on, and not really something that should impact gameplay suggestions. The Ancient scroll clutter is highly contributing to users buying the wrong gene scrolls - one of the reasons why consolidation is something to consider. (Can't quickly check which breeds are compatible in the tooltip? The Morphology page is a very convenient space to view each individual breed and all of its compatible genes.)
For the price discrepancy: We keep our one scroll item for all Moderns, and then have one condensed scroll item for all (currently compatible) Ancients?

"Underbelly" and "Underbelly (Ancient)" is far less cluttered than Underbelly + 1 separate Underbelly scroll item for every Ancient that releases.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-12-04 22:28:18:
The thing is, even if that’s easy to implement programmatically, it’ll be a nightmare for anyone playing on mobile. On mobile, tooltips may not pop up at all, or may pop up under the buyer confirmation, so half the time it’ll be impossible to see which breeds a scroll is valid for. And I buy the wrong one half the time even with it in the name :)

Sounds janky indeed, though that's an issue solely with the site's mobile compatibility and isn't working as intended. It's likely being worked on, and not really something that should impact gameplay suggestions.

The Ancient scroll clutter is highly contributing to users buying the wrong gene scrolls - one of the reasons why consolidation is something to consider.

(Can't quickly check which breeds are compatible in the tooltip? The Morphology page is a very convenient space to view each individual breed and all of its compatible genes.)
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
As far as showing which breeds a gene is compatible with, maybe this is something that could be shown on the gene's TMP thing (box? widget? Idk the term) itself? There is some space under the little book/chest/flash-sale icons, and while I think aesthetically it's good for giving the eye a place to rest, you theoretically could put some icons there to show breed compatibility.

...of course, if you think about why users buy genes... How often do people just buy a gene scroll because they're feeling ~*fun and funkayy~* that day? It's usually because either they need one for a project, or they want to make some money selling it to another user. If you're picking up a gene for a project, you likely have already done a scry for that project and know how it's going to look, so wouldn't be buying non-compatible genes (because you wouldn't need them).

Which is to say, a simple disclaimer that "(Ancient) genes are not necessarily compatible with all Ancients, please consult your doctor before taking this scroll" or something less facetious might do just as well.
As far as showing which breeds a gene is compatible with, maybe this is something that could be shown on the gene's TMP thing (box? widget? Idk the term) itself? There is some space under the little book/chest/flash-sale icons, and while I think aesthetically it's good for giving the eye a place to rest, you theoretically could put some icons there to show breed compatibility.

...of course, if you think about why users buy genes... How often do people just buy a gene scroll because they're feeling ~*fun and funkayy~* that day? It's usually because either they need one for a project, or they want to make some money selling it to another user. If you're picking up a gene for a project, you likely have already done a scry for that project and know how it's going to look, so wouldn't be buying non-compatible genes (because you wouldn't need them).

Which is to say, a simple disclaimer that "(Ancient) genes are not necessarily compatible with all Ancients, please consult your doctor before taking this scroll" or something less facetious might do just as well.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I see no issue with making all ancient scrolls for a given gene a single item. It reduces the frankly obscene clutter in the marketplace(s) that will only get worse as they add [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3187584/2#post_52898120]more ancients[/url]. The widget issues on mobile are something the devs should fix in general to improve QoL, that shouldn't be something we "just have to deal with." I think Renaiwom's logic is sound. People should be trusted enough to know what can and cannot be applied to what breeds, considering the scrying workshop is very easily accessible, and that info [i]will be right in the tooltip[/i] if this is implemented. I also don't see an issue with implementing a little subsection of the marketplace that would allow you to sell back an item, say, within 30 minutes, for a full refund if accidental purchases are THAT big of a concern. Really the only true issue I see with this is that the item code people are using now (for example, in wishlist posts or dragon bios), like this: [code] [item=primary gene: wasp (aberration)][/code] -will be broken upon this update. But that's an acceptable sacrifice in my opinion. You can always go back and change that, and they've changed item names before because of X, Y, or Z reason.
I see no issue with making all ancient scrolls for a given gene a single item. It reduces the frankly obscene clutter in the marketplace(s) that will only get worse as they add more ancients.

The widget issues on mobile are something the devs should fix in general to improve QoL, that shouldn't be something we "just have to deal with."

I think Renaiwom's logic is sound. People should be trusted enough to know what can and cannot be applied to what breeds, considering the scrying workshop is very easily accessible, and that info will be right in the tooltip if this is implemented.

I also don't see an issue with implementing a little subsection of the marketplace that would allow you to sell back an item, say, within 30 minutes, for a full refund if accidental purchases are THAT big of a concern.

Really the only true issue I see with this is that the item code people are using now (for example, in wishlist posts or dragon bios), like this:
Code:
[item=primary gene: wasp (aberration)]

-will be broken upon this update. But that's an acceptable sacrifice in my opinion. You can always go back and change that, and they've changed item names before because of X, Y, or Z reason.
> My tumblr
> My AO3
X
An angry-looking night elf woman with short green hair and a burn scar on her left cheek, looking to the viewer's right.A night elf woman with purple facial tattoos and purple hair, looking at the viewer with a confident smirk.
she/her | 18+ | FR+2 | brain full of night elves
>> Avatar
>> I love pings!
>> PixelZ, not PixelS!
xxxdont%20feed%20the%20ai.gif
I'd like if it was something like "Tertiary Gene: Underbelly" for modern dragons and "Tertiary Gene: Underbelly (Ancient)" for ancient dragons. With the ancient symbol in the corner of the picture so it can be seen via just the icon (or some other indicator). Then in the tooltip for the ancient it lists the dragons it can be applied to as a reminder.

I know there'd be the mobile issue of the tool tip in the case of listing dragons in it, but in most cases the genes are being bought to be sold later or are going to be used on a dragon. More often than not a gene that's bought for a dragon was already looked at on said dragon through scrying.

Suport if there's a little icon in the corner where the dragon is currently, no support if it makes it look exactly the same when just looking at the icons.
I'd like if it was something like "Tertiary Gene: Underbelly" for modern dragons and "Tertiary Gene: Underbelly (Ancient)" for ancient dragons. With the ancient symbol in the corner of the picture so it can be seen via just the icon (or some other indicator). Then in the tooltip for the ancient it lists the dragons it can be applied to as a reminder.

I know there'd be the mobile issue of the tool tip in the case of listing dragons in it, but in most cases the genes are being bought to be sold later or are going to be used on a dragon. More often than not a gene that's bought for a dragon was already looked at on said dragon through scrying.

Suport if there's a little icon in the corner where the dragon is currently, no support if it makes it look exactly the same when just looking at the icons.
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
While I agree that the MP does look pretty cluttered the way it is, I have to say no support.

Since not all ancients work with the same breeds, we would be reliant on people checking the tool-tip to see which ancient breeds it worked with. I see this causing A LOT of confusion and frustration. MOST people probably scry their dragon ahead of time, but there are some who won't. Or some who just skip a step, i.e. they decide they really like underbelly on their dragon, as they scried them as a banescale. Then later they realize they like the dragon better as an aberration, but they don't think to make scry them again because they already know they like underbelly, but they want an aberration. That's the kind of change I make to my project, and I can picture myself making that mistake pretty easily.

Right now the complaint seems to relate mostly to clutter, and I say the ability to immediately see what exactly you're buying outweighs decluttering the marketplace.

If anything I would suggest a two-step process. You can click on the ancient gene you want, and a little pop-up appears where you can pick which breed you want it for, and then you can click to buy it. That way it declutters the MP, but still makes it easy to see what you're buying, without the tool-tip. But that's a whole other layer of coding that would need to be added to the MP
While I agree that the MP does look pretty cluttered the way it is, I have to say no support.

Since not all ancients work with the same breeds, we would be reliant on people checking the tool-tip to see which ancient breeds it worked with. I see this causing A LOT of confusion and frustration. MOST people probably scry their dragon ahead of time, but there are some who won't. Or some who just skip a step, i.e. they decide they really like underbelly on their dragon, as they scried them as a banescale. Then later they realize they like the dragon better as an aberration, but they don't think to make scry them again because they already know they like underbelly, but they want an aberration. That's the kind of change I make to my project, and I can picture myself making that mistake pretty easily.

Right now the complaint seems to relate mostly to clutter, and I say the ability to immediately see what exactly you're buying outweighs decluttering the marketplace.

If anything I would suggest a two-step process. You can click on the ancient gene you want, and a little pop-up appears where you can pick which breed you want it for, and then you can click to buy it. That way it declutters the MP, but still makes it easy to see what you're buying, without the tool-tip. But that's a whole other layer of coding that would need to be added to the MP

Rein
She/Her
FR+1
secret message! secret message! in the signature!
secret, secret, secret, secret message!
right_ghosty.gif
80247290.png
"One day you will be old enough to
start reading fairytales again."
[quote name="DeathbyPixelz" date="2022-12-08 12:46:18" ] I see no issue with making all ancient scrolls for a given gene a single item. It reduces the frankly obscene clutter in the marketplace(s) that will only get worse as they add [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3187584/2#post_52898120]more ancients[/url]. The widget issues on mobile are something the devs should fix in general to improve QoL, that shouldn't be something we "just have to deal with." I think Renaiwom's logic is sound. People should be trusted enough to know what can and cannot be applied to what breeds, considering the scrying workshop is very easily accessible, and that info [i]will be right in the tooltip[/i] if this is implemented. I also don't see an issue with implementing a little subsection of the marketplace that would allow you to sell back an item, say, within 30 minutes, for a full refund if accidental purchases are THAT big of a concern. Really the only true issue I see with this is that the item code people are using now (for example, in wishlist posts or dragon bios), like this: [code] [item=primary gene: wasp (aberration)][/code] -will be broken upon this update. But that's an acceptable sacrifice in my opinion. You can always go back and change that, and they've changed item names before because of X, Y, or Z reason. [/quote] Market is a minor issue because you could choose breed affected from drop-down menu. Most issue is AH is is already one of most commons missbuy dramma - buy ancient instead of modern in reason there is no way sort out ancients when you need buy modern gene. With same names (with only tooltip difference) this become mutch worst.
DeathbyPixelz wrote on 2022-12-08 12:46:18:
I see no issue with making all ancient scrolls for a given gene a single item. It reduces the frankly obscene clutter in the marketplace(s) that will only get worse as they add more ancients.

The widget issues on mobile are something the devs should fix in general to improve QoL, that shouldn't be something we "just have to deal with."

I think Renaiwom's logic is sound. People should be trusted enough to know what can and cannot be applied to what breeds, considering the scrying workshop is very easily accessible, and that info will be right in the tooltip if this is implemented.

I also don't see an issue with implementing a little subsection of the marketplace that would allow you to sell back an item, say, within 30 minutes, for a full refund if accidental purchases are THAT big of a concern.

Really the only true issue I see with this is that the item code people are using now (for example, in wishlist posts or dragon bios), like this:
Code:
[item=primary gene: wasp (aberration)]

-will be broken upon this update. But that's an acceptable sacrifice in my opinion. You can always go back and change that, and they've changed item names before because of X, Y, or Z reason.
Market is a minor issue because you could choose breed affected from drop-down menu.
Most issue is AH is is already one of most commons missbuy dramma - buy ancient instead of modern in reason there is no way sort out ancients when you need buy modern gene. With same names (with only tooltip difference) this become mutch worst.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
1 2