Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | On Breed Specific Gene Scrolls
1 2
Ancient and Modern genes have different scrolls to apply genes. This makes sense because of the different ways their genes work, and the different price points. But the more ancient breeds we get, the more I wonder why we have a separate scroll for each breed. Like I understand making it clear on the item what dragons it can be used on (I'd hate to buy, say, a skink for an undertide then realize they don't have it) but perhaps the tooltip could be used for this? [img]https://i.imgur.com/rxgAyIb.png[/img]
Ancient and Modern genes have different scrolls to apply genes. This makes sense because of the different ways their genes work, and the different price points.

But the more ancient breeds we get, the more I wonder why we have a separate scroll for each breed. Like I understand making it clear on the item what dragons it can be used on (I'd hate to buy, say, a skink for an undertide then realize they don't have it) but perhaps the tooltip could be used for this?

rxgAyIb.png
No support. I don't think the tooltip version will work because it will be glossed over super easily. I can imagine many unaware or off-day users glossing over it until they try to use the scroll. Also, I don't think tooltip info can be searched for in MP or AH.

I do agree that Ancient-universal gene scrolls would be ideal, but that would burden ancients into having all the same genes and increase the workload of releasing future ancients. Ancients are meant to be easier on production, so I think it's important that new releases don't need to keep up with every gene ever. It's unfortunate that it creates a messy situation but I think it's a mess that will have to be lived with.
No support. I don't think the tooltip version will work because it will be glossed over super easily. I can imagine many unaware or off-day users glossing over it until they try to use the scroll. Also, I don't think tooltip info can be searched for in MP or AH.

I do agree that Ancient-universal gene scrolls would be ideal, but that would burden ancients into having all the same genes and increase the workload of releasing future ancients. Ancients are meant to be easier on production, so I think it's important that new releases don't need to keep up with every gene ever. It's unfortunate that it creates a messy situation but I think it's a mess that will have to be lived with.
No support. Aside from what Crowbar brought up, tooltips suck on mobile, sometimes they won't open, or refuse to close. And in the MP where items can sell fast I'd rather not see it become even more weighted against mobile players.

What they should do is improve the interface for the auction house and marketplace to allow for better searching and filtering and just a better experience overall. So we can see the types of scrolls we want without the mess of everything else.
No support. Aside from what Crowbar brought up, tooltips suck on mobile, sometimes they won't open, or refuse to close. And in the MP where items can sell fast I'd rather not see it become even more weighted against mobile players.

What they should do is improve the interface for the auction house and marketplace to allow for better searching and filtering and just a better experience overall. So we can see the types of scrolls we want without the mess of everything else.
This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for? Both the tooltip and icon are confusing, as many ancient genes have modern dragon artwork for them. Regardless of making the tooltip more clear, tooltips already exist on mobile and I don't think changing some text in them will change that.

I do think that eventually the tooltip would wind up being glossed over like the item names are(that's how my brain works anyway), but I do support some more varied visual differentiation between modern and all ancient genes. I recently bought a foam gene for my new Undertide and in my excitement I bought the wrong one :p

Maybe instead of or in addition to the tooltip change, the gene icons could be changed or perhaps the colors of the dna strands displayed over the icon could be changed as well
This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for? Both the tooltip and icon are confusing, as many ancient genes have modern dragon artwork for them. Regardless of making the tooltip more clear, tooltips already exist on mobile and I don't think changing some text in them will change that.

I do think that eventually the tooltip would wind up being glossed over like the item names are(that's how my brain works anyway), but I do support some more varied visual differentiation between modern and all ancient genes. I recently bought a foam gene for my new Undertide and in my excitement I bought the wrong one :p

Maybe instead of or in addition to the tooltip change, the gene icons could be changed or perhaps the colors of the dna strands displayed over the icon could be changed as well
@Decres [quote name="Decres" date="2022-12-03 22:11:30" ] This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for?[/quote] Look at the mockup in the OP. The suggestion is actually to remove the breed from the scroll title, so that instead of [b]Tertiary Gene: Polkadot (Aberration)[/b] it just says [b]Tertiary Gene: Polkadot[/b]. You’d then have to look at the tooltip to see what breed the scroll was compatible with. No support; it’s easy enough to buy the wrong genes as it is, and tooltips are a nightmare on mobile.
@Decres
Decres wrote on 2022-12-03 22:11:30:
This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for?

Look at the mockup in the OP. The suggestion is actually to remove the breed from the scroll title, so that instead of Tertiary Gene: Polkadot (Aberration) it just says Tertiary Gene: Polkadot.

You’d then have to look at the tooltip to see what breed the scroll was compatible with.

No support; it’s easy enough to buy the wrong genes as it is, and tooltips are a nightmare on mobile.
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
[quote name="ceiswyn" date="2022-12-03 22:31:45" ] [quote name="Decres" date="2022-12-03 22:11:30" ] This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for?[/quote] Look at the mockup in the OP. The suggestion is actually to remove the breed from the scroll title, so that instead of [b]Tertiary Gene: Polkadot (Aberration)[/b] it just says [b]Tertiary Gene: Polkadot[/b]. [/quote] From my understanding, they're not suggesting removing the breeds from the names of the scrolls - they're suggesting that all of the separate scrolls be merged into one scroll item, with compatible breeds simply listed in the tooltip. So Instead of having all of this clutter that grows more and more as we get new Ancients and Ancient genes added to the pool: [item=tertiary gene: underbelly] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (gaoler)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (banescale)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (undertide)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (veilspun)] [u]We'd have:[/u] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly] With something like "[b]Supported Breeds: Modern, Gaoler, Banescale, Undertide, Veilspun[/b]" in the tooltip. I'd like to see something like this. The Ancient scroll clutter is getting out of control.
ceiswyn wrote on 2022-12-03 22:31:45:
Decres wrote on 2022-12-03 22:11:30:
This seems useful to me unless I am misunderstanding the suggestion, which is just to make the tooltip more clear on what the gene can be used for?

Look at the mockup in the OP. The suggestion is actually to remove the breed from the scroll title, so that instead of Tertiary Gene: Polkadot (Aberration) it just says Tertiary Gene: Polkadot.

From my understanding, they're not suggesting removing the breeds from the names of the scrolls - they're suggesting that all of the separate scrolls be merged into one scroll item, with compatible breeds simply listed in the tooltip.

So Instead of having all of this clutter that grows more and more as we get new Ancients and Ancient genes added to the pool:
Tertiary Gene: Underbelly

We'd have:
With something like "Supported Breeds: Modern, Gaoler, Banescale, Undertide, Veilspun" in the tooltip.

I'd like to see something like this. The Ancient scroll clutter is getting out of control.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
[quote name="Zenzic" date="2022-12-04 18:30:38" ] So Instead of having all of this clutter that grows more and more as we get new Ancients and Ancient genes added to the pool: [item=tertiary gene: underbelly] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (gaoler)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (banescale)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (undertide)] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly (veilspun)] [u]We'd have:[/u] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly] With something like "[b]Supported Breeds: Modern, Gaoler, Banescale, Undertide, Veilspun[/b]" in the tooltip. I'd like to see something like this. The Ancient scroll clutter is getting out of control. [/quote] Merging modern with ancient is more complex due to the price difference, but I'm all here for merging the ancient scrolls into one.
Zenzic wrote on 2022-12-04 18:30:38:
So Instead of having all of this clutter that grows more and more as we get new Ancients and Ancient genes added to the pool:

We'd have:
With something like "Supported Breeds: Modern, Gaoler, Banescale, Undertide, Veilspun" in the tooltip.

I'd like to see something like this. The Ancient scroll clutter is getting out of control.

Merging modern with ancient is more complex due to the price difference, but I'm all here for merging the ancient scrolls into one.
!! signature under construction !!
A polite no support - I've already accidentally bought the wrong scrolls before we had like 438243222812772748 of them and I feel like it would be easier to buy the wrong scroll if the breed was removed entirely, even if it's mentioned on the tooltip. I am absolutely 110% in agreement that buying scrolls now is a nightmare, but I think the better way to remedy this is stronger filtering/search options, like the ability to differentiate between genes for moderns and genes for ancients on the AH, and maybe also a filter by-breed for ancients.
A polite no support - I've already accidentally bought the wrong scrolls before we had like 438243222812772748 of them and I feel like it would be easier to buy the wrong scroll if the breed was removed entirely, even if it's mentioned on the tooltip. I am absolutely 110% in agreement that buying scrolls now is a nightmare, but I think the better way to remedy this is stronger filtering/search options, like the ability to differentiate between genes for moderns and genes for ancients on the AH, and maybe also a filter by-breed for ancients.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="Zenzic" date="2022-12-04 18:30:38" ] [u]We'd have:[/u] [item=tertiary gene: underbelly] With something like "[b]Supported Breeds: Modern, Gaoler, Banescale, Undertide, Veilspun[/b]" in the tooltip. I'd like to see something like this. The Ancient scroll clutter is getting out of control. [/quote] The thing is, even if that’s easy to implement programmatically, it’ll be a nightmare for anyone playing on mobile. On mobile, tooltips may not pop up at all, or may pop up under the buyer confirmation, so half the time it’ll be impossible to see which breeds a scroll is valid for. And I buy the wrong one half the time even with it in the name :) I agree that the scroll bloat is awful, but I agree with JonSnOwO; just let me filter them by breed!
Zenzic wrote on 2022-12-04 18:30:38:
We'd have:

The thing is, even if that’s easy to implement programmatically, it’ll be a nightmare for anyone playing on mobile. On mobile, tooltips may not pop up at all, or may pop up under the buyer confirmation, so half the time it’ll be impossible to see which breeds a scroll is valid for. And I buy the wrong one half the time even with it in the name :)

I agree that the scroll bloat is awful, but I agree with JonSnOwO; just let me filter them by breed!
Coffee Pot
May be grumpy before coffee. And after coffee. (FR+8)
5loJkio.jpg
Also no support move info in tooltip. As mentioned - it is imposible see it on mobile.
Actually market search already good enough for searching. (the only problem it set to zero after every purchais)

AH also allow search separate breed via name (and only modern genes buyers here suffer with search. Especially on AH. This I suggest add (modern) to madern genes already!)

But I support count any breed in dayly bonus
Also no support move info in tooltip. As mentioned - it is imposible see it on mobile.
Actually market search already good enough for searching. (the only problem it set to zero after every purchais)

AH also allow search separate breed via name (and only modern genes buyers here suffer with search. Especially on AH. This I suggest add (modern) to madern genes already!)

But I support count any breed in dayly bonus

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
1 2