Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gem MP Cycling Schedule
1 2 3 4 5 6
[b]Please be courteous to staff in this thread. Thank you![/b] As of 28 November, it's been confirmed by Undel that items will cycle in yearly during the week of Cyber Monday as well as in mid-May. Nevertheless, I think the sheer quantity of items cycling in at once is still a problem, especially considering the timing of the November cycle (right before NotN!) and the fact that more items keep getting added to the cycling list; a problem that I still believe is best solved by a monthly schedule as outlined in this post. ----- This is a suggestion I've made before in other threads, but really it deserves its own, so here goes — Currently, items cycle in the Gem Marketplace on a frustratingly unpredictable schedule. Very infrequently, a 'cycle event' will suddenly be announced, and for a few days to a little over a week, [i]all[/i] cycled-out items (barring those linked to special events) will suddenly be returned to the Gem Marketplace, at once. After this they're gone again and, like the Silver Sylvan apparel during the last cycle event, other sets may also suddenly be cycled out. Going by other players' reactions, this is not a particularly popular way of handling cycled items. Players are overwhelmed by these events: suddenly, everything's available for a relatively very short period of time, and it becomes a race to get whatever's finally available again (especially items that suddenly cycle out, and the ever-popular and very expensive Wildclaw scrolls) before they're locked in the vault again for a year or so. Unlike events that involve the Gem Marketplace, like Night of the Nocturne, Warrior's Way, and the Talk Like A Pirate Day mini-event, the cycle events are still rather unpredictable. As the amount of cycled-out items increases, they also become more and more overloaded with items over time, thus making it even more difficult for players to get everything they want. Instead of this overloaded, overwhelming, everything-at-once yearly model, I therefore would like to propose an alternative method of handling Gem Marketplace item cycling: a [b]month-based schedule[/b], in which each cycling set and/or item is assigned a month during which it will cycle in, and thus be available in the Gem Marketplace. This does [i]not[/i] need to be an entire month (and shouldn't, since much of this suggestion is about following the precedent set by preexisting event Gem MP items); it can be restricted to the first week of a month, or in the case of event items, restricted to the event's duration — but it mainly needs to be [u]consistent[/u]. An example schedule, borrowed from one of my original posts, could look like this — note that this is only an example of how such a schedule might look, and that the staff is better-equipped to predict what would be best for gem sales (plus, there's plenty of room for thematic fits)" [quote][b]January[/b] [LIST] [*]Wildclaw scrolls [/LIST] [b]February[/b] [LIST] [*]Jester apparel set [*]Silver Sylvan apparel set [/LIST] [b]March[/b] [LIST] [*]Mock Firebird [*]Dunhoof Ambassador [*]Goldslab apparel set [/LIST] [b]April[/b] [LIST] [*]Bard apparel sets [/LIST] [b]May[/b] [LIST] [*]Ornate Platinum Armor apparel set [*]Rainy Day vista [/LIST] [b]June[/b] [LIST] [*]Pastel Lace apparel set [/LIST] [b]July[/b] [LIST] [*]Desert Dynasty apparel set [*]Firefly vista [/LIST] [b]August[/b] [LIST] [*]Warrior's Way items ([i]event[/i]) [/LIST] [b]September[/b] [LIST] [*]Seaspray apparel ([i]event[/i]) [/LIST][b]October[/b] [LIST] [*]Fox Rat familiars [*]Talonclasp Pendant apparel [/LIST] [b]November[/b] [LIST] [*]Night Sky Silk apparel [/LIST] [b]December[/b] [LIST] [*]Night of the Nocturne items ([i]event[/i]) [/LIST] [/quote] I would also like to request that when previously non-cycling items get cycled out of the Gem Marketplace, sufficient advance notice — at least two months — be given, and that those cycling items' place in the schedule also is communicated immediately. This way, players are aware at all times of when items cycle in and out, and can appropriately plan their gem purchases and spending. Rather than the FOMOfest system that is in place right now (spmething several players have described as "predatory" in the past), the system of Gem Marketplace items cycling out of standard stock and back in at specified times remains in place, but is shifted to a fixed monthly schedule, which should hopefully ensure a far more comfortable and fair experience for players looking to purchase any of these items. [b]TL;DR:[/b] Current Gem MP cycling system of everything cycling in at once for ~1 week a year is scrapped, and replaced by a schedule that assigns each cycling item/set a month. Every month will have a set time period (sometimes this is a preexisting event) during which specific cycled items are available in the Gem MP. The schedule is available to view at all times and communicated clearly: users know at all times when to expect which items in the Gem MP. ----- Thank you for reading! If you have any other ideas to add to this suggestion, please do post them below. I've seen a lot of unhappiness from the community over the years about the way cycled items are handled; I hope this suggestion provides an adequate solution to most of the currently-existing problems.
Please be courteous to staff in this thread. Thank you! As of 28 November, it's been confirmed by Undel that items will cycle in yearly during the week of Cyber Monday as well as in mid-May.

Nevertheless, I think the sheer quantity of items cycling in at once is still a problem, especially considering the timing of the November cycle (right before NotN!) and the fact that more items keep getting added to the cycling list; a problem that I still believe is best solved by a monthly schedule as outlined in this post.

This is a suggestion I've made before in other threads, but really it deserves its own, so here goes —

Currently, items cycle in the Gem Marketplace on a frustratingly unpredictable schedule. Very infrequently, a 'cycle event' will suddenly be announced, and for a few days to a little over a week, all cycled-out items (barring those linked to special events) will suddenly be returned to the Gem Marketplace, at once. After this they're gone again and, like the Silver Sylvan apparel during the last cycle event, other sets may also suddenly be cycled out.

Going by other players' reactions, this is not a particularly popular way of handling cycled items. Players are overwhelmed by these events: suddenly, everything's available for a relatively very short period of time, and it becomes a race to get whatever's finally available again (especially items that suddenly cycle out, and the ever-popular and very expensive Wildclaw scrolls) before they're locked in the vault again for a year or so. Unlike events that involve the Gem Marketplace, like Night of the Nocturne, Warrior's Way, and the Talk Like A Pirate Day mini-event, the cycle events are still rather unpredictable. As the amount of cycled-out items increases, they also become more and more overloaded with items over time, thus making it even more difficult for players to get everything they want.

Instead of this overloaded, overwhelming, everything-at-once yearly model, I therefore would like to propose an alternative method of handling Gem Marketplace item cycling: a month-based schedule, in which each cycling set and/or item is assigned a month during which it will cycle in, and thus be available in the Gem Marketplace. This does not need to be an entire month (and shouldn't, since much of this suggestion is about following the precedent set by preexisting event Gem MP items); it can be restricted to the first week of a month, or in the case of event items, restricted to the event's duration — but it mainly needs to be consistent.

An example schedule, borrowed from one of my original posts, could look like this — note that this is only an example of how such a schedule might look, and that the staff is better-equipped to predict what would be best for gem sales (plus, there's plenty of room for thematic fits)"
Quote:
January
  • Wildclaw scrolls
February
  • Jester apparel set
  • Silver Sylvan apparel set
March
  • Mock Firebird
  • Dunhoof Ambassador
  • Goldslab apparel set
April
  • Bard apparel sets
May
  • Ornate Platinum Armor apparel set
  • Rainy Day vista
June
  • Pastel Lace apparel set
July
  • Desert Dynasty apparel set
  • Firefly vista
August
  • Warrior's Way items (event)
September
  • Seaspray apparel (event)
October
  • Fox Rat familiars
  • Talonclasp Pendant apparel
November
  • Night Sky Silk apparel
December
  • Night of the Nocturne items (event)

I would also like to request that when previously non-cycling items get cycled out of the Gem Marketplace, sufficient advance notice — at least two months — be given, and that those cycling items' place in the schedule also is communicated immediately. This way, players are aware at all times of when items cycle in and out, and can appropriately plan their gem purchases and spending. Rather than the FOMOfest system that is in place right now (spmething several players have described as "predatory" in the past), the system of Gem Marketplace items cycling out of standard stock and back in at specified times remains in place, but is shifted to a fixed monthly schedule, which should hopefully ensure a far more comfortable and fair experience for players looking to purchase any of these items.

TL;DR: Current Gem MP cycling system of everything cycling in at once for ~1 week a year is scrapped, and replaced by a schedule that assigns each cycling item/set a month. Every month will have a set time period (sometimes this is a preexisting event) during which specific cycled items are available in the Gem MP. The schedule is available to view at all times and communicated clearly: users know at all times when to expect which items in the Gem MP.

Thank you for reading! If you have any other ideas to add to this suggestion, please do post them below. I've seen a lot of unhappiness from the community over the years about the way cycled items are handled; I hope this suggestion provides an adequate solution to most of the currently-existing problems.
bkxiiMw.png MlJMkHy.gif bkxiiMw.png bkxiiMw.png
hi! i'm meteor.
check out some of my projects? → or the coliseum bounty npc suggestion!

» the bestiary outfit project
» cross-flight outfit project
» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
I am not averse to a schedule by any means but at the very least-- I wouldn't mind an advance warning for cycles, or even just leaving things cycled in for longer amounts of time! I've seen people have no time/warning to save up and take out of living funds for wildclaw scrolls, and even if that is ultimately a player's responsibility, I don't think impulse spending should continue to be encouraged when some gem items cost so much.

Please consider either a schedule or leaving things cycled in for more than a few days! Such an unpredictable schedule can be unhealthy, which is the point of a business and making money I suppose, but it would be lovely to have some more notice or more leniency when it comes to saving up for items that we're excited to get. :)
I am not averse to a schedule by any means but at the very least-- I wouldn't mind an advance warning for cycles, or even just leaving things cycled in for longer amounts of time! I've seen people have no time/warning to save up and take out of living funds for wildclaw scrolls, and even if that is ultimately a player's responsibility, I don't think impulse spending should continue to be encouraged when some gem items cost so much.

Please consider either a schedule or leaving things cycled in for more than a few days! Such an unpredictable schedule can be unhealthy, which is the point of a business and making money I suppose, but it would be lovely to have some more notice or more leniency when it comes to saving up for items that we're excited to get. :)
Anything that lets us know when WC scrolls are gonna be in so we don’t have to scramble for money or worry until the next paycheck.
Anything that lets us know when WC scrolls are gonna be in so we don’t have to scramble for money or worry until the next paycheck.

I get too many pings, please PM if you ping and I don’t respond
[quote name="Decres" date="2022-09-10 16:01:12" ] I am not averse to a schedule by any means but at the very least-- I wouldn't mind an advance warning for cycles, or even just leaving things cycled in for longer amounts of time! I've seen people have no time/warning to save up and take out of living funds for wildclaw scrolls, and even if that is ultimately a player's responsibility, I don't think impulse spending should continue to be encouraged when some gem items cost so much. Please consider either a schedule or leaving things cycled in for more than a few days! Such an unpredictable schedule can be unhealthy, which is the point of a business and making money I suppose, but it would be lovely to have some more notice or more leniency when it comes to saving up for items that we're excited to get. :) [/quote] yeah, more advance notice is the bare minimum they could do as far as improvements to the cycling system goes - or the items being cycled in for longer since it's everything at once - but personally i'm keen on a schedule like i suggested since that means you more or less [i]always[/i] know when something you want will be cycled in, and for how long. makes it easier to plan gem purchases too ;)
Decres wrote on 2022-09-10 16:01:12:

yeah, more advance notice is the bare minimum they could do as far as improvements to the cycling system goes - or the items being cycled in for longer since it's everything at once - but personally i'm keen on a schedule like i suggested since that means you more or less always know when something you want will be cycled in, and for how long. makes it easier to plan gem purchases too ;)
hi! i'm meteor.

» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
Definitely support, I don't think there could be any argument against this. I'd like to see it go even further and just have an on-site event calendar for Fest days, cycling apparel like you said, NOTN, and all that; I would find it really convenient.
Definitely support, I don't think there could be any argument against this. I'd like to see it go even further and just have an on-site event calendar for Fest days, cycling apparel like you said, NOTN, and all that; I would find it really convenient.
m87ieVe.png
[quote name="Temora" date="2022-09-11 06:21:07" ] Definitely support, I don't think there could be any argument against this. I'd like to see it go even further and just have an on-site event calendar for Fest days, cycling apparel like you said, NOTN, and all that; I would find it really convenient. [/quote] heh, yeah — that's something I've also been meaning to make a proper suggestion thread for since that's a feature i also would love to have, especially in combination with this idea! i considered adding it to this thread but decided against it; I'll probably make another thread for the calendar idea soon.
Temora wrote on 2022-09-11 06:21:07:
heh, yeah — that's something I've also been meaning to make a proper suggestion thread for since that's a feature i also would love to have, especially in combination with this idea! i considered adding it to this thread but decided against it; I'll probably make another thread for the calendar idea soon.
hi! i'm meteor.

» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
I really like this suggested schedule system. Especially since a lot of cycled items come in for just a few days - people who would otherwise pay for gems don't have the time to allocate funds from the next paycheck.

I understand that some markets use FOMO to fuel sales, but I'd rather see FR build up hype/anticipation than rely on FOMO.

Or even if it's something like reserving gem sales for fest weeks - even if we didn't know what was cycling in for that week at least we'd know there would be something cycled for that week.
I really like this suggested schedule system. Especially since a lot of cycled items come in for just a few days - people who would otherwise pay for gems don't have the time to allocate funds from the next paycheck.

I understand that some markets use FOMO to fuel sales, but I'd rather see FR build up hype/anticipation than rely on FOMO.

Or even if it's something like reserving gem sales for fest weeks - even if we didn't know what was cycling in for that week at least we'd know there would be something cycled for that week.
[quote name="Limanya" date="2022-09-11 07:32:24" ] heh, yeah — that's something I've also been meaning to make a proper suggestion thread for since that's a feature i also would love to have, especially in combination with this idea! i considered adding it to this thread but decided against it; I'll probably make another thread for the calendar idea soon. [/quote] There's actually already a suggestion for a site calendar. Where all fests and things would be marked. As well as possible maintenances, etc. Whatever they feel like putting on it. Might be worth poking around for. It had some pretty decent traction.
Limanya wrote on 2022-09-11 07:32:24:
heh, yeah — that's something I've also been meaning to make a proper suggestion thread for since that's a feature i also would love to have, especially in combination with this idea! i considered adding it to this thread but decided against it; I'll probably make another thread for the calendar idea soon.
There's actually already a suggestion for a site calendar. Where all fests and things would be marked. As well as possible maintenances, etc. Whatever they feel like putting on it. Might be worth poking around for. It had some pretty decent traction.
Ribbon1.pngRibbon2.pngRibbon3.png
[quote name="vihuff" date="2022-09-11 19:00:52" ] [quote name="Limanya" date="2022-09-11 07:32:24" ] heh, yeah — that's something I've also been meaning to make a proper suggestion thread for since that's a feature i also would love to have, especially in combination with this idea! i considered adding it to this thread but decided against it; I'll probably make another thread for the calendar idea soon. [/quote] There's actually already a suggestion for a site calendar. Where all fests and things would be marked. As well as possible maintenances, etc. Whatever they feel like putting on it. Might be worth poking around for. It had some pretty decent traction. [/quote] could be I've responded to that thread too! i'm very much for it, regardless (including options to add custom events & share those with others)
vihuff wrote on 2022-09-11 19:00:52:
Limanya wrote on 2022-09-11 07:32:24:
There's actually already a suggestion for a site calendar. Where all fests and things would be marked. As well as possible maintenances, etc. Whatever they feel like putting on it. Might be worth poking around for. It had some pretty decent traction.
could be I've responded to that thread too! i'm very much for it, regardless (including options to add custom events & share those with others)
hi! i'm meteor.

» 100x100 bio icons
» accent shop
Yes. Yes, 1000% support. I'm one who despises the random all-at-once cycling system, there are some items I've been waiting for over a full year to buy because of how infrequently they stock (and how the last time they cycled in was directly before NOTN, which sucked, because I was saving my money for the event). I would take anything, LITERALLY ANY form of consistent schedule as opposed to what we have now. I don't want to see the random notification that the cycling items are available only to be completely unable to afford what I want to buy. It's one of the few aspects of the site that I find genuinely infuriating.
Yes. Yes, 1000% support. I'm one who despises the random all-at-once cycling system, there are some items I've been waiting for over a full year to buy because of how infrequently they stock (and how the last time they cycled in was directly before NOTN, which sucked, because I was saving my money for the event). I would take anything, LITERALLY ANY form of consistent schedule as opposed to what we have now. I don't want to see the random notification that the cycling items are available only to be completely unable to afford what I want to buy. It's one of the few aspects of the site that I find genuinely infuriating.
8098.pngqoL2Zmd.png 43.png
44.png
40.png
31.png
21378.png
1 2 3 4 5 6