Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | BBCode Columns Default Font Size
1 2
So when you use the columns bbcode, the default font size is smaller than the font size elsewhere on a forum post, bio, etc. For example, you see the normal font size in most of this post. [columns]In this, when the columns code is used, the font size goes down.[/columns] This means that when you use the columns code, you also have to go in and add a font size to make it legible. [columns][list][*][size=3]Size 3 seems to be what it goes down to.[/size] [*][size=4]Size 4 seems to be what the normal font size is without columns.[/size] [*][size=5]Size 5 is significantly bigger than normal.[/size] [*][size=4]It also doesn't display properly on previews, so actually it's much smaller than you expect it to be when previewing. However, from my understanding, this part is a bug.[/size][/list][/columns] [code] [columns][list][*][size=3]Size 3 seems to be what it goes down to.[/size] [*][size=4]Size 4 seems to be what the normal font size is without columns.[/size] [*][size=5]Size 5 is significantly bigger than normal.[/size] [*][size=4]It also doesn't display properly on previews, so actually it's much smaller than you expect it to be when previewing. However, from my understanding, this part is a bug.[/size][/list][/columns][/code] This is further complicated if you have any other coding, such as lists, since bbcode is so specific on where the tags have to be placed. If it's in the wrong place, the size won't take effect, so if you have a long list for example, you have to add it to every bulletpoint. The above list shows this. Meanwhile, this is what you get if you use just one size code. [list][size=3][*]Well now this doesn't work at all.[/size][/list] [size=6][list][*]This doesn't change the font size. It's supposed to be size 6![/list][/size] [code][list][size=3][*]Well now this doesn't work at all.[/size][/list] [size=6][list][*]This doesn't change the font size. It's supposed to be size 6![/list][/size][/code] As you can imagine, this is awful for readability. So, my suggestion is to change columns so that this change to a smaller default size [i]doesn't[/i] happen. It would help a lot with readability in people's posts and bios, since columns are frequently used. If people insist on having illegibly small font, they can still use size tags to make it smaller. However, there should not be extra effort and coding needed to restore the font size to a widely-readable size. 3/6/23 update: Update on this: It seems when you use the paintbrush to remove text formatting, text in columns that have been changed with BBCode go to the normal, non-column size. Un-size changed text stays the same small column size. ??????? I assume this is a bug with how the columns and paintbrush interact, but I still think it's worth looking at columns to not make them change the font size to begin with. Toggle formatting on this post for some wild stuff.
So when you use the columns bbcode, the default font size is smaller than the font size elsewhere on a forum post, bio, etc.

For example, you see the normal font size in most of this post.
In this, when the columns code is used, the font size goes down.

This means that when you use the columns code, you also have to go in and add a font size to make it legible.
  • Size 3 seems to be what it goes down to.
  • Size 4 seems to be what the normal font size is without columns.
  • Size 5 is significantly bigger than normal.
  • It also doesn't display properly on previews, so actually it's much smaller than you expect it to be when previewing. However, from my understanding, this part is a bug.
Code:
[columns][list][*][size=3]Size 3 seems to be what it goes down to.[/size] [*][size=4]Size 4 seems to be what the normal font size is without columns.[/size] [*][size=5]Size 5 is significantly bigger than normal.[/size] [*][size=4]It also doesn't display properly on previews, so actually it's much smaller than you expect it to be when previewing. However, from my understanding, this part is a bug.[/size][/list][/columns]

This is further complicated if you have any other coding, such as lists, since bbcode is so specific on where the tags have to be placed. If it's in the wrong place, the size won't take effect, so if you have a long list for example, you have to add it to every bulletpoint. The above list shows this. Meanwhile, this is what you get if you use just one size code.
[*]Well now this doesn't work at all.
  • This doesn't change the font size. It's supposed to be size 6!

Code:
[list][size=3][*]Well now this doesn't work at all.[/size][/list] [size=6][list][*]This doesn't change the font size. It's supposed to be size 6![/list][/size]

As you can imagine, this is awful for readability. So, my suggestion is to change columns so that this change to a smaller default size doesn't happen. It would help a lot with readability in people's posts and bios, since columns are frequently used. If people insist on having illegibly small font, they can still use size tags to make it smaller. However, there should not be extra effort and coding needed to restore the font size to a widely-readable size.

3/6/23 update: Update on this: It seems when you use the paintbrush to remove text formatting, text in columns that have been changed with BBCode go to the normal, non-column size. Un-size changed text stays the same small column size. ???????

I assume this is a bug with how the columns and paintbrush interact, but I still think it's worth looking at columns to not make them change the font size to begin with.

Toggle formatting on this post for some wild stuff.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Oh yes, big support! I have a lot of trouble with small text.
Oh yes, big support! I have a lot of trouble with small text.
.~.~*~.~.
~* SCB *~
* accent *
~*shop*~
.~.~*~.~.

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *

___* BUY *
-_-JRZc9fI.png
Ugh, it's an actual feature or a bug that everyone experiences? I thought that it's just my "unsupported" browser acting up - full support in fixing that.
Ugh, it's an actual feature or a bug that everyone experiences? I thought that it's just my "unsupported" browser acting up - full support in fixing that.
JQQ3Fjt.png
support! I found this thread while looking in hopes of finding someone who knew the equivalent font sizes, but even size 4 within columns is notably smaller than what applied size 4 outside of columns is. [size=4]This is typed in size 4.[/size] [columns][size=4]This is size 4, inside columns.[/size][/columns] [code][size=4]This is typed in size 4.[/size] [columns][size=4]This is size 4, inside columns.[/size][/columns][/code]
support! I found this thread while looking in hopes of finding someone who knew the equivalent font sizes, but even size 4 within columns is notably smaller than what applied size 4 outside of columns is.

This is typed in size 4.
This is size 4, inside columns.
Code:
[size=4]This is typed in size 4.[/size] [columns][size=4]This is size 4, inside columns.[/size][/columns]
a7fbee3b-d28b-4a97-96f2-0759511f331b2.png
dT9HQge.png
mlHpBMC.png
Jd88XNq.png
arcane.gif 345xcmolg7w.png _____________________m99z0pU.png

Oh god, yes, please. I hate that the font size automatically shrinks inside columns.

Also the inaccurate rendering on preview. (I wish preview mode worked better in general.)
Oh god, yes, please. I hate that the font size automatically shrinks inside columns.

Also the inaccurate rendering on preview. (I wish preview mode worked better in general.)
______ My subspecies:

Custodians

Surgeons &
Chirurgeons
______
e9zjkNh.png
______
RWIOMq1.png
For the columns, it's because it gets wrapped into a table, and the td element automatically comes with a smaller font size. Very annoying because even if you up the size of a bulletpoint list, the bullet itself remains a lot smaller... [columns][list][*][size=4]yo ho, size 4 list in columns, my font size only gets to 11.7px because what is life[/size][/list][/columns] [list][*]yooo just a general list, my bullet is bigger[/list] [code][columns][list][*][size=4]yo ho, size 4 list in columns, my font size only gets to 11.7px because what is life[/size][/list][/columns] [list][*]yooo just a general list, my bullet is bigger[/list][/code] For preview, it seems to pull the font size from the class .ui-widget, as that is applied to the preview popup window. Standard font size on posts is 12px. .ui-widget is 11px. td/columns is 10px. >:C
For the columns, it's because it gets wrapped into a table, and the td element automatically comes with a smaller font size. Very annoying because even if you up the size of a bulletpoint list, the bullet itself remains a lot smaller...
  • yo ho, size 4 list in columns, my font size only gets to 11.7px because what is life
  • yooo just a general list, my bullet is bigger
Code:
[columns][list][*][size=4]yo ho, size 4 list in columns, my font size only gets to 11.7px because what is life[/size][/list][/columns] [list][*]yooo just a general list, my bullet is bigger[/list]

For preview, it seems to pull the font size from the class .ui-widget, as that is applied to the preview popup window.

Standard font size on posts is 12px. .ui-widget is 11px. td/columns is 10px. >:C
tumblr-o4yu8g-UBh-N1uvtnbto1-400-2.png
Oh, support! This is so annoying, and I don't like how it looks. If I need the font to be smaller than default, I'll change it myself.
Oh, support! This is so annoying, and I don't like how it looks. If I need the font to be smaller than default, I'll change it myself.
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
>> Bean's Showcase, Boutique, and Workshop
This is especially annoying on mobile- the preview makes everything look bigger. Maybe it just needs a disclaimer like the mirrors on the sides of cars do, but that seems like a band-aid at best.
This is especially annoying on mobile- the preview makes everything look bigger. Maybe it just needs a disclaimer like the mirrors on the sides of cars do, but that seems like a band-aid at best.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

Support, overall I do believe the whole bbcode system needs a revamp, as well as the signature preview which is buggy.
Update on this: It seems when you use the paintbrush to remove text formatting, text in columns that have been changed with BBCode go to the normal, non-column size. Un-size changed text stays the same small column size. ???????

I assume this is a bug with how the columns and paintbrush interact, but I still think it's worth looking at columns to not make them change the font size to begin with.
Update on this: It seems when you use the paintbrush to remove text formatting, text in columns that have been changed with BBCode go to the normal, non-column size. Un-size changed text stays the same small column size. ???????

Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
1 2