Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | About blocked players?
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
[quote name="WolfTears" date="2021-12-26 17:31:08" ] I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed. I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable. I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button. [/quote] idc if the fact i blocked someone hurts their feelings because the reason i block people (usually) is because they make me uncomfortable/say weird things. blocking is a useful tool that allows you to curate the way you see things online. it might not be possible to do that irl, but online it is, so people have the right to use that feature as they wish. people trying to avoid things that make them uncomfortable isnt a crime. its natural. i wish i just couldnt see the people i blocked, but i understand why the indicator is still there. also, occasionally i block people for things, evaluate why i blocked them, and maybe unblock them when i see a post from them. it reminds me i had them blocked, because i often forget about who ive blocked. ig it can actually be kinda helpful!
WolfTears wrote on 2021-12-26 17:31:08:
I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed.

I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable.

I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button.
idc if the fact i blocked someone hurts their feelings because the reason i block people (usually) is because they make me uncomfortable/say weird things. blocking is a useful tool that allows you to curate the way you see things online. it might not be possible to do that irl, but online it is, so people have the right to use that feature as they wish. people trying to avoid things that make them uncomfortable isnt a crime. its natural.

i wish i just couldnt see the people i blocked, but i understand why the indicator is still there. also, occasionally i block people for things, evaluate why i blocked them, and maybe unblock them when i see a post from them. it reminds me i had them blocked, because i often forget about who ive blocked. ig it can actually be kinda helpful!
wqnTQE2.png
addams » she / her » avatar dragon
“i think i might have fallen in love...”
”...what am i to do?”

[quote name="addams" date="2021-12-26 18:06:40" ] [quote name="WolfTears" date="2021-12-26 17:31:08" ] I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed. I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable. I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button. [/quote] idc if the fact i blocked someone hurts their feelings because the reason i block people (usually) is because they make me uncomfortable/say weird things. blocking is a useful tool that allows you to curate the way you see things online. it might not be possible to do that irl, but online it is, so people have the right to use that feature as they wish. people trying to avoid things that make them uncomfortable isnt a crime. its natural. i wish i just couldnt see the people i blocked, but i understand why the indicator is still there. also, occasionally i block people for things, evaluate why i blocked them, and maybe unblock them when i see a post from them. it reminds me i had them blocked, because i often forget about who ive blocked. ig it can actually be kinda helpful! [/quote] It is completely reasonable to block someone for something you even mildly don't like. The mechanic is there for those who want it, for whatever reason they might have. I do agree that some people can be overly sensitive but they should be able to use the block button for whatever they please. Just like how the friend button is either there for those who want big numbers of people who accept it, or those who just want a quick button to visit their actual friends' lairs, or those who want to participate with those people in AAA when he gets added. Let people live how they want to, so long as it doesn't actively affect or harm you.
addams wrote on 2021-12-26 18:06:40:
WolfTears wrote on 2021-12-26 17:31:08:
I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed.

I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable.

I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button.
idc if the fact i blocked someone hurts their feelings because the reason i block people (usually) is because they make me uncomfortable/say weird things. blocking is a useful tool that allows you to curate the way you see things online. it might not be possible to do that irl, but online it is, so people have the right to use that feature as they wish. people trying to avoid things that make them uncomfortable isnt a crime. its natural.

i wish i just couldnt see the people i blocked, but i understand why the indicator is still there. also, occasionally i block people for things, evaluate why i blocked them, and maybe unblock them when i see a post from them. it reminds me i had them blocked, because i often forget about who ive blocked. ig it can actually be kinda helpful!
It is completely reasonable to block someone for something you even mildly don't like. The mechanic is there for those who want it, for whatever reason they might have. I do agree that some people can be overly sensitive but they should be able to use the block button for whatever they please. Just like how the friend button is either there for those who want big numbers of people who accept it, or those who just want a quick button to visit their actual friends' lairs, or those who want to participate with those people in AAA when he gets added. Let people live how they want to, so long as it doesn't actively affect or harm you.
He/she/them
FR +3
Information+Wishlist+Art Shop!
Aether adopts!
My colorwheel project!

This is a reminder to be patient with new players in the suggestions forum if they post something commonly suggested! The forum search isn't particularly outstanding or obvious.
RcqRLxb.png
Just to give my 2cents in regards to some of the comments on this thread: As someone with anxiety, it really does suck if one day you discover that you've been blocked by someone. It can send you into a spiral of paranoia (is it something I said? Is it my lore? My speech? My aesthetic? My identity? etc.) especially if you already have insecurities, inferiority problems, or have experienced things I'd rather not delve into here.

But, I've also blocked people for completely dumb reasons (not on here, of course, and it was for calling one of my fav characters ugly lol), which is why I feel like... this is just something you can't really control. The block feature is there for people's comfort and safety, though I do agree that from what I see people complain about on here, FR's block function really needs some work.
Just to give my 2cents in regards to some of the comments on this thread: As someone with anxiety, it really does suck if one day you discover that you've been blocked by someone. It can send you into a spiral of paranoia (is it something I said? Is it my lore? My speech? My aesthetic? My identity? etc.) especially if you already have insecurities, inferiority problems, or have experienced things I'd rather not delve into here.

But, I've also blocked people for completely dumb reasons (not on here, of course, and it was for calling one of my fav characters ugly lol), which is why I feel like... this is just something you can't really control. The block feature is there for people's comfort and safety, though I do agree that from what I see people complain about on here, FR's block function really needs some work.
My dragons' names are 2-3 separate words. Please put spaces between them!!!
hRPcGnh.jpg
@Vodizea I've moved this to Suggestions, as other players can't really answer this, and that seems to be the tone most of the conversation has taken.
@Vodizea I've moved this to Suggestions, as other players can't really answer this, and that seems to be the tone most of the conversation has taken.
jeGlfdJ.gif__ Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group. (+0 FR Time)

[quote]Idk where to post it, but basically I dont understand why someone I have blocked can interact with and see my forum posts,[/quote] They cannot interact with you? In public forum areas, you don't get direct or "new post" subscription pings, their posts are marked as coming from a blocked person and the blocked person cannot directly view your personal areas (lair, den, dragon, profile, AH listings, etc) - so considering someone seeing your post as "interaction" veers far too close into "thoughtcrime" territory for me to be comfortable with. I don't support changing the way blocking works in this way.
Quote:
Idk where to post it, but basically I dont understand why someone I have blocked can interact with and see my forum posts,

They cannot interact with you? In public forum areas, you don't get direct or "new post" subscription pings, their posts are marked as coming from a blocked person and the blocked person cannot directly view your personal areas (lair, den, dragon, profile, AH listings, etc) - so considering someone seeing your post as "interaction" veers far too close into "thoughtcrime" territory for me to be comfortable with. I don't support changing the way blocking works in this way.
JQQ3Fjt.png
@GrimoireBlack
Just a thought for you - I've seen more than one person say that one of their reasons for blocking is stuff like plague primal, which your icon derg has.

Probably nothing personal, just people squicked by the aesthetic!
@GrimoireBlack
Just a thought for you - I've seen more than one person say that one of their reasons for blocking is stuff like plague primal, which your icon derg has.

Probably nothing personal, just people squicked by the aesthetic!
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
@Vendrus

I suppose it's worth noting, I grew up in the internet boom, where the culture was a little different - if you got blocked, you *deserved it*, because you didn't get blocked unless you did something very inappropriate, rude, or bad, etc.

So finding out I've been blocked sends me off wondering what I did to that person, did I even talk to them, I don't even know who they are what did I do?!

The idea of blocking someone for something extremely minuscule is lost on me. That came out more judgmental than I wanted it to sound, lol; what I mean is I just can't let myself believe someone has blocked me for no good reason, and I keep thinking about it for weeks after, trying to figure out what I did wrong.

If there was a toggle for "Make people who've blocked me completely invisible" I'd use it. I'm going to change my avatar now, at least, though. I don't use it to hurt people, I just like the skin I have for that dragon. But I don't like it enough to unintentionally bother people.
@Vendrus

I suppose it's worth noting, I grew up in the internet boom, where the culture was a little different - if you got blocked, you *deserved it*, because you didn't get blocked unless you did something very inappropriate, rude, or bad, etc.

So finding out I've been blocked sends me off wondering what I did to that person, did I even talk to them, I don't even know who they are what did I do?!

The idea of blocking someone for something extremely minuscule is lost on me. That came out more judgmental than I wanted it to sound, lol; what I mean is I just can't let myself believe someone has blocked me for no good reason, and I keep thinking about it for weeks after, trying to figure out what I did wrong.

If there was a toggle for "Make people who've blocked me completely invisible" I'd use it. I'm going to change my avatar now, at least, though. I don't use it to hurt people, I just like the skin I have for that dragon. But I don't like it enough to unintentionally bother people.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
@GrimoireBlack
So did I haha! No-one is going to think you had it to hurt people, btw. Some people just have strong visual preferences (I know there was/is someone on site who really really hates pink).

I think it's worth considering that FR isn't like most sites with blocking, as its primary focus is the dragons not the communication. Many players go on the forums rarely to not at all, and given the ability to curate their experience many will do so as it does not have significant mechanical impact for them or the blockee.

It also doesn't help that there's no tiered blocking system on FR. Other reasons will include flashing signatures, selling starving fodder on the AH, preventing undercutting on the ah - whereas if it was possible to block signatures/icons/AH only etc there'd probably be a lot less forum-based blocking.
@GrimoireBlack
So did I haha! No-one is going to think you had it to hurt people, btw. Some people just have strong visual preferences (I know there was/is someone on site who really really hates pink).

I think it's worth considering that FR isn't like most sites with blocking, as its primary focus is the dragons not the communication. Many players go on the forums rarely to not at all, and given the ability to curate their experience many will do so as it does not have significant mechanical impact for them or the blockee.

It also doesn't help that there's no tiered blocking system on FR. Other reasons will include flashing signatures, selling starving fodder on the AH, preventing undercutting on the ah - whereas if it was possible to block signatures/icons/AH only etc there'd probably be a lot less forum-based blocking.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
[quote name="OreoMilkshake" date="2021-12-26 11:58:22" ] If you are concerned about your privacy you should be careful about what you choose to post on a public forum. The Flight Rising forum is definitely not a public space. In fact, people who aren't even users can see your posts. You shouldn't post anything on here that is too revealing, and that's just common sense. This forum shouldn't be the place to share any sort of personal information. People get blocked all the time, and sometimes for petty reasons or misunderstandings. I don't think those players should be locked out of things like public dom raffles and guides. [/quote] Want to reiterate this post: If you log out, you can still see the forums. If you log out you can still see profiles and dragons. (you can't interact with them once logged in, but you can still see them), so don't post stuff you don't want seen by certain people on places like FR. Because, even if you block those people they will still be able to see that information. That said, this was the way that blocking worked for a couple of hours, and a lot of people disliked it. Surprisingly it wasn't the people who were liberally blocked. It was the people who blocked others and didn't want those people to know they had been blocked who complained. I can see the point of view that you don't want someone to interact with your posts, but I can also see the issue of people who liberally block (sell starving fodder: blocked, lots of undercutting: blocked, have a signature someone doesn't like: blocked and so on) and players who haven't really done anything would now potentially not be able to interact with threads, not because the OP dislikes them, or they did something against the OP, but just because they had something the OP didn't want to see. That is one of the arguments for tiered blocking. Some people block if you sell starving fodder, not because they dislike starving fodder, but because they don't want to buy it. They block if you have a signature that upsets them, not because they dislike you, but because the signature can trigger something, such as a migraine. But, just because they block you there, doesn't mean they want to completely block everything. But, it would hinder players if they suddenly couldn't see a guide on how to stat their dragons for coli. Sure they could 'reinvent the wheel' and try out their own builds, but not everyone wants that, and it can get expensive to retincture/restone dragons. It also can lead to duplicate threads, where they can't see certain threads because someone blocked them. In GD, there are 'hub' threads that everyone gets directed to when they post something that 'belongs' in that thread. Imagine not being able to access the thread because the OP has the user blocked. So, I definitely support tiered blocking, but I do not really want to have it where players can prevent others from interacting with threads on the forums.
OreoMilkshake wrote on 2021-12-26 11:58:22:
If you are concerned about your privacy you should be careful about what you choose to post on a public forum. The Flight Rising forum is definitely not a public space. In fact, people who aren't even users can see your posts. You shouldn't post anything on here that is too revealing, and that's just common sense. This forum shouldn't be the place to share any sort of personal information.

People get blocked all the time, and sometimes for petty reasons or misunderstandings. I don't think those players should be locked out of things like public dom raffles and guides.

Want to reiterate this post: If you log out, you can still see the forums. If you log out you can still see profiles and dragons. (you can't interact with them once logged in, but you can still see them), so don't post stuff you don't want seen by certain people on places like FR. Because, even if you block those people they will still be able to see that information.

That said, this was the way that blocking worked for a couple of hours, and a lot of people disliked it. Surprisingly it wasn't the people who were liberally blocked. It was the people who blocked others and didn't want those people to know they had been blocked who complained.

I can see the point of view that you don't want someone to interact with your posts, but I can also see the issue of people who liberally block (sell starving fodder: blocked, lots of undercutting: blocked, have a signature someone doesn't like: blocked and so on) and players who haven't really done anything would now potentially not be able to interact with threads, not because the OP dislikes them, or they did something against the OP, but just because they had something the OP didn't want to see.

That is one of the arguments for tiered blocking. Some people block if you sell starving fodder, not because they dislike starving fodder, but because they don't want to buy it. They block if you have a signature that upsets them, not because they dislike you, but because the signature can trigger something, such as a migraine. But, just because they block you there, doesn't mean they want to completely block everything.

But, it would hinder players if they suddenly couldn't see a guide on how to stat their dragons for coli. Sure they could 'reinvent the wheel' and try out their own builds, but not everyone wants that, and it can get expensive to retincture/restone dragons. It also can lead to duplicate threads, where they can't see certain threads because someone blocked them. In GD, there are 'hub' threads that everyone gets directed to when they post something that 'belongs' in that thread. Imagine not being able to access the thread because the OP has the user blocked.

So, I definitely support tiered blocking, but I do not really want to have it where players can prevent others from interacting with threads on the forums.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
It's because blocking somebody should curate YOUR experience, it shouldn't affect THEIRS on social parts of the site.
It's because blocking somebody should curate YOUR experience, it shouldn't affect THEIRS on social parts of the site.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11