Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | About blocked players?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
[quote name="xev" date="2021-12-26 12:12:16" ] [quote name="Lonin" date="2021-12-26 06:35:39" ] We kinda get it. It'd suck to be unable to see important or useful threads such as guides, bug reports or dom related things because the poster has blocked you. [/quote] Yeah, I was once blocked by a guide maker and it would SUCK if I had to rummage around for another one :( I think it works alright this way. [/quote] As a person who was blocked by a lot of people during the eyepocalypse 2.0 I can safely say it does suck. It was really hard to find someone to buy gems from for a while because i couldn't see their profiles or do crossroads....
xev wrote on 2021-12-26 12:12:16:
Lonin wrote on 2021-12-26 06:35:39:
We kinda get it. It'd suck to be unable to see important or useful threads such as guides, bug reports or dom related things because the poster has blocked you.

Yeah, I was once blocked by a guide maker and it would SUCK if I had to rummage around for another one :( I think it works alright this way.

As a person who was blocked by a lot of people during the eyepocalypse 2.0 I can safely say it does suck. It was really hard to find someone to buy gems from for a while because i couldn't see their profiles or do crossroads....
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
I was blocked by someone- not fir anything serious, i just misposted in a dragon search thread of theirs and they wanted the post out of the way. A completly inconsequential sort of thing, right?
the issue is that i still see their posts in the forums, and always think “oh, their dragons sound so cool! Mayhaps i will look at them and give them likes :>” and then i go to their profile and i get the blocked message :/ tbh it would be better if the block just went both ways- they dont see my posts, i dont see theirs (though tbh it’s not much of a problem either way- im sad for a second that i cant appreciate their dragons and then move on with my life)
I was blocked by someone- not fir anything serious, i just misposted in a dragon search thread of theirs and they wanted the post out of the way. A completly inconsequential sort of thing, right?
the issue is that i still see their posts in the forums, and always think “oh, their dragons sound so cool! Mayhaps i will look at them and give them likes :>” and then i go to their profile and i get the blocked message :/ tbh it would be better if the block just went both ways- they dont see my posts, i dont see theirs (though tbh it’s not much of a problem either way- im sad for a second that i cant appreciate their dragons and then move on with my life)
82yGJuK.pngcbQdPvX.pngKEQAerK.pngVM11E.gif
[quote name="Insidiously" date="2021-12-26 08:12:04" ] [quote name="@Eulogy" date="2021-12-26 06:45:09" ] This is actually becoming pretty normal on sites, and honestly I prefer it this way. Not every block is over a serious issue, in fact many are over minor "I don't like how X talks / don't like their primal / they have a gif in their sig." Blocking someone should not effect their experience on the site. Thankfully the blocker will only see the "this person is blocked" text and can just ignore that they exist at all. [/quote] Most people who get blocked would go on with their day. I am not most people, it seems. Whenever I get blocked by a stranger I'm like "WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS I HAVE NEVER MET YOU BEFORE IN MY LIFE I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE" [/quote] Lmao same, one user has me blocked and I get so sad every time I see their posts bc I think I did something wrong, even if I absolutely understand that it’s probably due to something minor [s](and as it seems from this thread it’s due to my sig lol)[/s]
Insidiously wrote on 2021-12-26 08:12:04:
@Eulogy wrote on 2021-12-26 06:45:09:
This is actually becoming pretty normal on sites, and honestly I prefer it this way. Not every block is over a serious issue, in fact many are over minor "I don't like how X talks / don't like their primal / they have a gif in their sig."

Blocking someone should not effect their experience on the site. Thankfully the blocker will only see the "this person is blocked" text and can just ignore that they exist at all.

Most people who get blocked would go on with their day.

I am not most people, it seems.

Whenever I get blocked by a stranger I'm like "WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS I HAVE NEVER MET YOU BEFORE IN MY LIFE I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE"
Lmao same, one user has me blocked and I get so sad every time I see their posts bc I think I did something wrong, even if I absolutely understand that it’s probably due to something minor (and as it seems from this thread it’s due to my sig lol)
o1Ug1jU.png
» bea
» she/her
» +9 FR time
It was upsetting to me when it was temporarily implemented, because I could see people who had blocked me right in the forums, and that wasn't pleasant. And a number of people could see that I had blocked them, which upset them, and naturally it brings up the question of "why did they block me?" And to find out the answer, people may get their friends to PM the question, or may go to social media to ask, and that starts a conversation that someone was probably hoping to avoid in the first place.

I've been in social media spaces where people get very upset, nosy, and pushy when they're blocked. So I like FR's low-visibility block system.
It was upsetting to me when it was temporarily implemented, because I could see people who had blocked me right in the forums, and that wasn't pleasant. And a number of people could see that I had blocked them, which upset them, and naturally it brings up the question of "why did they block me?" And to find out the answer, people may get their friends to PM the question, or may go to social media to ask, and that starts a conversation that someone was probably hoping to avoid in the first place.

I've been in social media spaces where people get very upset, nosy, and pushy when they're blocked. So I like FR's low-visibility block system.
I'd honestly rather not be able to see them, their posts, or anything at all if I'm blocked because every time I come across someone who's blocked me it really screws with my social anxiety.

I am a very nice person, I have extensive and ample warnings about my horror lore; there is no reason to treat me like I've wronged you, yet I've come across three people so far - whom I've never even spoken to directly! - that have me blocked. There's literally nothing I could have done to deserve it. I'm always polite, and I rarely even interact actively on the forums to boot. I know I've got the shiny star and all, but I've had this account for almost 5-6 years too.

I'd rather never find out. If that user just completely disappeared to me, it'd be much better for my brain personally, lol.
I'd honestly rather not be able to see them, their posts, or anything at all if I'm blocked because every time I come across someone who's blocked me it really screws with my social anxiety.

I am a very nice person, I have extensive and ample warnings about my horror lore; there is no reason to treat me like I've wronged you, yet I've come across three people so far - whom I've never even spoken to directly! - that have me blocked. There's literally nothing I could have done to deserve it. I'm always polite, and I rarely even interact actively on the forums to boot. I know I've got the shiny star and all, but I've had this account for almost 5-6 years too.

I'd rather never find out. If that user just completely disappeared to me, it'd be much better for my brain personally, lol.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed.

I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable.

I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button.

That being said, someone purposely doing something that upsets you and not stopping when you ask them to is what blocking is for. You quietly report the bad behavior, block them and move along. Please stop abusing something that should protect people from serious harm.

I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable.

I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button.

That being said, someone purposely doing something that upsets you and not stopping when you ask them to is what blocking is for. You quietly report the bad behavior, block them and move along. Please stop abusing something that should protect people from serious harm.
sJmKU07.gifa8FvSEr.png9dYW39C.png
So there was a time where blocked players would be met with a message that you blocked them when they tried to read your forums post. A legitimate stalker and abuser saw this when I blocked them within 5 minutes and tried to turn my friends against me and publicly called me out for it. I'm quite glad it's less obvious now. It means there's less chance of [i]that[/i] happening. [quote]I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life.[/quote] Nope. And the dragon game isn't real life. It's my escape from real life. So if there's something petty I don't like, I'm gonna remove it from my view because I have that ability to not deal with it if I don't want to. Me doing so does nothing to hurt people who are using it for less petty things because it has zero effect on them. In the end I'm more interested in taking care of myself than taking care of some unknown stranger with a username that makes me viscerally uncomfortable, and if someone types in a way that I find super annoying, it's honestly better for both of us that I not see it, because then I can't snap at them over something so petty and legitimately hurt them more than a block ever would. Taking care of everyone else before oneself messes a person up.
So there was a time where blocked players would be met with a message that you blocked them when they tried to read your forums post.

A legitimate stalker and abuser saw this when I blocked them within 5 minutes and tried to turn my friends against me and publicly called me out for it.

I'm quite glad it's less obvious now. It means there's less chance of that happening.
Quote:
I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life.
Nope. And the dragon game isn't real life. It's my escape from real life. So if there's something petty I don't like, I'm gonna remove it from my view because I have that ability to not deal with it if I don't want to. Me doing so does nothing to hurt people who are using it for less petty things because it has zero effect on them.

In the end I'm more interested in taking care of myself than taking care of some unknown stranger with a username that makes me viscerally uncomfortable, and if someone types in a way that I find super annoying, it's honestly better for both of us that I not see it, because then I can't snap at them over something so petty and legitimately hurt them more than a block ever would. Taking care of everyone else before oneself messes a person up.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
i actually prefer it this way because i block super liberally. this is what curating your online experience is all about! i can't exactly avoid people who annoy or bother me in real life so i at least deserve to do it online, peacefully, while i'm playing my little dragon game and meant to be having a good time. i'm glad that i don't know exactly who has me blocked and i'm glad that those i have blocked mostly can't tell either. it leads to less worry and certainly less harassment.
i actually prefer it this way because i block super liberally. this is what curating your online experience is all about! i can't exactly avoid people who annoy or bother me in real life so i at least deserve to do it online, peacefully, while i'm playing my little dragon game and meant to be having a good time. i'm glad that i don't know exactly who has me blocked and i'm glad that those i have blocked mostly can't tell either. it leads to less worry and certainly less harassment.
z8Qo9nt.gif

spencer - they/he/ix - fr +1
[quote name="WolfTears" date="2021-12-26 17:31:08" ] I've never really understood this at all and think it should be changed. I also strongly disagree with blocking people for silly petty little things. You can't just put a filter on your face that removes all the things you dislike in life. Some things are ugly or some things might rub you the wrong way, but you really need to suck it up and deal with it. It won't go away and you need to learn how to accept that. People are way too sensitive now days and it's getting pretty ridiculous. Someone talking like a baby or a gross looking dragon are not going to HURT you. I get itchy when looking at Centipedes, but I don't go around blocking everyone with one in their signature or a familiar on their dragon or a skin/accent of one. It's not traumatic, it's just uncomfortable. I don't often voice my opinions anymore because there is always someone out there getting "offended" by everything. I'll probably get like twenty more blocks for saying this. I find new people who've blocked me increasing greatly as time goes by and I'm always wondering what the heck it is I did to upset them... So you know who is really getting hurt by petty blocking? The person you block. Just think about that next time you go to hit that button. That being said, someone purposely doing something that upsets you and not stopping when you ask them to is what blocking is for. You quietly report the bad behavior, block them and move along. Please stop abusing something that should protect people from serious harm. [/quote] I could type out a novel on how people aren't really getting 'more offended nowadays' than they were in the past but that's off topic for the thread at hand. I will say though that while i think the blocking system could maybe use a few tweaks how people use it isn't really mine or anyone else's business. There's literally no way of knowing why someone blocks you or if that reason meets some arbitrary measurement for 'serious reasons'.
WolfTears wrote on 2021-12-26 17:31:08:

I could type out a novel on how people aren't really getting 'more offended nowadays' than they were in the past but that's off topic for the thread at hand.

I will say though that while i think the blocking system could maybe use a few tweaks how people use it isn't really mine or anyone else's business. There's literally no way of knowing why someone blocks you or if that reason meets some arbitrary measurement for 'serious reasons'.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
[quote name="neonglow" date="2021-12-26 17:44:49" ] i actually prefer it this way because i block super liberally. this is what curating your online experience is all about! i can't exactly avoid people who annoy or bother me in real life so i at least deserve to do it online, peacefully, while i'm playing my little dragon game and meant to be having a good time. i'm glad that i don't know exactly who has me blocked and i'm glad that those i have blocked mostly can't tell either. it leads to less worry and certainly less harassment. [/quote] pretty much exactly my thoughts on the matter. this isn't real life. i have to deal with all kinds of people when i go to work, and i don't have a choice to block any of them out. but i can do it here - because this is a game, and it's meant to be fun. i block people who bother me and i'm sure that there are people out there who have me blocked! but it's literally Not That Deep. just shrug and move on.
neonglow wrote on 2021-12-26 17:44:49:

pretty much exactly my thoughts on the matter. this isn't real life. i have to deal with all kinds of people when i go to work, and i don't have a choice to block any of them out. but i can do it here - because this is a game, and it's meant to be fun. i block people who bother me and i'm sure that there are people out there who have me blocked! but it's literally Not That Deep. just shrug and move on.
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11