Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Clearer Skin/Accent Guidelines/Feedback
1 2
Because of all the submissions with skins, I understand that the wait must belong because of the staff workload, but combined with the long delay in between responses, it has taken almost a month of back and forth submissions and it's still not approval ready TwT It's pretty disheartening to tell preorders that they have to wait another week or so OOF-

There's feedback on why a skin was denied, but I usually need visual assistance to comprehend something. (and the feedback quality can vary by, what I assume, to bei9 the person who looks at it. This can probably be solved with clearer guidelines/rules and then specifying with the portion of the skin that breaks these rules.

Regarding my accent, on the second denial it mentioned that the lineart and shadow layers need to be visibly darker, so I turned those areas black on my second resubmission. But actually, I probably had to lighten the colors instead. Even with black lineart, it was not very visibly different from the accent colors because I chose such a dark red. This was something that I put together by myself, mostly because I don't really understand text feedback all that well. That's on me, but having both these options "lighten the color of the accent or darken the lineart" would be super helpful in preventing multiple resubmissions.

I'm assuming that there is work being done in the back end regarding skins, mostly because of the Riot of Rot guidelines (and I don't really want to delve into that here), but it would be awesome to have an announcement or at least be directed to guides that help creators while the guidelines are being updated!
Because of all the submissions with skins, I understand that the wait must belong because of the staff workload, but combined with the long delay in between responses, it has taken almost a month of back and forth submissions and it's still not approval ready TwT It's pretty disheartening to tell preorders that they have to wait another week or so OOF-

There's feedback on why a skin was denied, but I usually need visual assistance to comprehend something. (and the feedback quality can vary by, what I assume, to bei9 the person who looks at it. This can probably be solved with clearer guidelines/rules and then specifying with the portion of the skin that breaks these rules.

Regarding my accent, on the second denial it mentioned that the lineart and shadow layers need to be visibly darker, so I turned those areas black on my second resubmission. But actually, I probably had to lighten the colors instead. Even with black lineart, it was not very visibly different from the accent colors because I chose such a dark red. This was something that I put together by myself, mostly because I don't really understand text feedback all that well. That's on me, but having both these options "lighten the color of the accent or darken the lineart" would be super helpful in preventing multiple resubmissions.

I'm assuming that there is work being done in the back end regarding skins, mostly because of the Riot of Rot guidelines (and I don't really want to delve into that here), but it would be awesome to have an announcement or at least be directed to guides that help creators while the guidelines are being updated!
74055311.png gYzuoZS.png
I still support this & I'll keep continuing to do so.
I still support this & I'll keep continuing to do so.
Forever and ever this I will support.
Forever and ever this I will support.
66672686_aRYLhgjb41XJEVa.png
I will always support this kind of suggestion, at the moment the standards around publishing skins and accents are far too vague, which I understand is done to give staff more discretion when making their decision on whether or not to print a submission.

However, I feel that such a large amount of flexibility in decision making, with vague standards around "suffering" and unclear feedback, often results in more frustration on part of those attempting to print skins and accents. As the artist may be unaware of what their mistake is and so would be unable to correct it.

There is also the problem that vague standards can be overstretched in their interpretation when making decisions, to deviate from their original intended meaning i.e The standard that prohibits excessive suffering. So I feel clearer rules with less discretion for interpretation on part of the staff would help fix this issue and also help fix the issue of frustrating print rejections as a result of rules that were never concretely mentioned within the skin and accent guidelines.
I will always support this kind of suggestion, at the moment the standards around publishing skins and accents are far too vague, which I understand is done to give staff more discretion when making their decision on whether or not to print a submission.

However, I feel that such a large amount of flexibility in decision making, with vague standards around "suffering" and unclear feedback, often results in more frustration on part of those attempting to print skins and accents. As the artist may be unaware of what their mistake is and so would be unable to correct it.

There is also the problem that vague standards can be overstretched in their interpretation when making decisions, to deviate from their original intended meaning i.e The standard that prohibits excessive suffering. So I feel clearer rules with less discretion for interpretation on part of the staff would help fix this issue and also help fix the issue of frustrating print rejections as a result of rules that were never concretely mentioned within the skin and accent guidelines.
seGmw74.jpg
The issues in OP are already described visually on the skin submission page, but we need those visuals for other rules too such as the suffering one. At the moment, completely harmless skins are getting denied because of overbearing and uneven enforcement of the rule. One user may be told to change red markings to a different colour so it doesn't resemble blood, then another user gets denied because the cyan drips in their skin are still too blood-like.

Skin makers NEED concise and CONSISTENT guidelines so we have a better idea of what is and isn't acceptable. FR needs to lighten up and stop denying harmless things like blue blood, stinky armpits, and red variants of a skin that was accepted in all other colours.
The issues in OP are already described visually on the skin submission page, but we need those visuals for other rules too such as the suffering one. At the moment, completely harmless skins are getting denied because of overbearing and uneven enforcement of the rule. One user may be told to change red markings to a different colour so it doesn't resemble blood, then another user gets denied because the cyan drips in their skin are still too blood-like.

Skin makers NEED concise and CONSISTENT guidelines so we have a better idea of what is and isn't acceptable. FR needs to lighten up and stop denying harmless things like blue blood, stinky armpits, and red variants of a skin that was accepted in all other colours.
I agree for the sake of artists and those who buy custom skins. Consistency is very important too. For example, (and this is an arbitrary example for the sake of being an example), if skins with birds are acceptable but then a skin with birds is rejected strictly because it has birds on it, it makes for very confused users.
I agree for the sake of artists and those who buy custom skins. Consistency is very important too. For example, (and this is an arbitrary example for the sake of being an example), if skins with birds are acceptable but then a skin with birds is rejected strictly because it has birds on it, it makes for very confused users.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
It's very clear to me that the 'accepting/denying at moderator discretion' method isn't working out, it seems like no one on the skin mod team is able to decide on what is and isn't allowed themselves and everyone is just operating on their own personal interpretations of the guidelines, leading to the inconsistency on what gets accepted.

We definitely need a clear, definitive guide on what is and is not allowed, and the skin moderators should also be held to those same rules too so everyone's all on the same page. So please, do away with this silly, vague 'moderator discretion' stuff and give the skin moderators the same clear guidelines and rules the skin artists are expected to follow to compare pending submissions to.
It's very clear to me that the 'accepting/denying at moderator discretion' method isn't working out, it seems like no one on the skin mod team is able to decide on what is and isn't allowed themselves and everyone is just operating on their own personal interpretations of the guidelines, leading to the inconsistency on what gets accepted.

We definitely need a clear, definitive guide on what is and is not allowed, and the skin moderators should also be held to those same rules too so everyone's all on the same page. So please, do away with this silly, vague 'moderator discretion' stuff and give the skin moderators the same clear guidelines and rules the skin artists are expected to follow to compare pending submissions to.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
[quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-11-15 04:49:21" ] The issues in OP are already described visually on the skin submission page. [/quote] That's a good start but even then it depends from skin to skin, mod to mod. I've seen way darker skins than OP's get approved... so there is a need for clearer feedbacks. Also, what classifies as a large part of the skin may differ from mod to mod so yeah even visual guidelines aren't perfect in this case. Support for visual guidelines (made from the rejected skin, circling problem areas) to be sent to the skin maker everytime a skin gets rejected, with clear explanations has to what needs to be done in order for it to be approved. However, OP, if you go to the skin forums, sometimes mods can do these changes for you or offer more explanations! I hope this help in the future.
Crowbar wrote on 2021-11-15 04:49:21:
The issues in OP are already described visually on the skin submission page.

That's a good start but even then it depends from skin to skin, mod to mod. I've seen way darker skins than OP's get approved... so there is a need for clearer feedbacks. Also, what classifies as a large part of the skin may differ from mod to mod so yeah even visual guidelines aren't perfect in this case.

Support for visual guidelines (made from the rejected skin, circling problem areas) to be sent to the skin maker everytime a skin gets rejected, with clear explanations has to what needs to be done in order for it to be approved. However, OP, if you go to the skin forums, sometimes mods can do these changes for you or offer more explanations! I hope this help in the future.
This will probably get locked. but I still wholeheartedly support. Xela brings up some good points that might be causing this weird line that has been drawn to become more blurred, thus causing confusion within the playerbase which submits skins and accents. I know that I have made some rather dark accents that have gotten through but a friend of mine made an accent that had to be resubmitted due to being too dark (it was lighter than mine slightly). It's... odd. I've had a little consistency with darkness via swatching the same dark black I have been using for awhile and rarely get a denial from it but it definitely seems to vary from mod to mod.
This will probably get locked. but I still wholeheartedly support. Xela brings up some good points that might be causing this weird line that has been drawn to become more blurred, thus causing confusion within the playerbase which submits skins and accents. I know that I have made some rather dark accents that have gotten through but a friend of mine made an accent that had to be resubmitted due to being too dark (it was lighter than mine slightly). It's... odd. I've had a little consistency with darkness via swatching the same dark black I have been using for awhile and rarely get a denial from it but it definitely seems to vary from mod to mod.
I'm colorblind, and to me obsidian is just as dark as the colors I was using and it doesn't feel fair or right that my skin was denied due to the presumably "too dark" colors

I have to color pick everything and stare at the color wheel placement to understand they're different colors haha so yeah that's fun.
I'm colorblind, and to me obsidian is just as dark as the colors I was using and it doesn't feel fair or right that my skin was denied due to the presumably "too dark" colors

I have to color pick everything and stare at the color wheel placement to understand they're different colors haha so yeah that's fun.
1 2