Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Let dragons equip the same familiar type
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Support on the condition you can still only bond with one of the familiars each day. Some kind of warning on the familiar page would be a handy notification.
Support on the condition you can still only bond with one of the familiars each day. Some kind of warning on the familiar page would be a handy notification.
Support, I think this would be really cool!
I'd like it if there was some way to sort between showing singular familiars and multiples on the selection menu though.
Support, I think this would be really cool!
I'd like it if there was some way to sort between showing singular familiars and multiples on the selection menu though.
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
[quote name="Haven" date="2021-01-24 15:00:55" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2021-01-24 14:42:27" ] As long as there's some way to not accidentally equip the same familiar on more than one dragon, I don't particularly care. Having this option, though, with no indication of whether the familiar is already equipped elsewhere would make bonding with familiars an absolute nightmare. [/quote] If you can bond with familiars once a day then the first time you find that familiar on any dragon should solve that issue. Even if a dragon has a familiar shared in the hibden, since there is no penalty for switching familiars on hibden dragons it should be just like if you took it off and put it back. This is essentially just like Fiona, if you interact with a dragon from her, you can't do it again directly on your dragon. So there is already coding somewhat in place to support this sort of thing. Just instead of sharing multiple familiars between one dragon and an npc you're doing it between multiple dragons. [/quote] I don't think that's what I'm talking about. You'd have to have already bonded with that familiar on another dragon already to ensure the dragon you're attaching now isn't already bonded. If you bond to the familiars you have attached to dragons already then it really messes up the rhythm if you have to stop and swap out for another familiar that you may not have bonded with yet. But if you have that familiar equipped to another dragon further down the line if you're doing arrow-key bonding, then you'll have to stop at [i]that[/i] dragon to swap out the familiar, and so on. I feel like this isn't that much of an objection, because the site knows which familiars you have equipped (just look at the bestiary). But it would be, in my mind, absolutely necessary (or concurrent) to this change being made.
Haven wrote on 2021-01-24 15:00:55:
Almedha wrote on 2021-01-24 14:42:27:
As long as there's some way to not accidentally equip the same familiar on more than one dragon, I don't particularly care. Having this option, though, with no indication of whether the familiar is already equipped elsewhere would make bonding with familiars an absolute nightmare.

If you can bond with familiars once a day then the first time you find that familiar on any dragon should solve that issue. Even if a dragon has a familiar shared in the hibden, since there is no penalty for switching familiars on hibden dragons it should be just like if you took it off and put it back.

This is essentially just like Fiona, if you interact with a dragon from her, you can't do it again directly on your dragon. So there is already coding somewhat in place to support this sort of thing. Just instead of sharing multiple familiars between one dragon and an npc you're doing it between multiple dragons.
I don't think that's what I'm talking about. You'd have to have already bonded with that familiar on another dragon already to ensure the dragon you're attaching now isn't already bonded. If you bond to the familiars you have attached to dragons already then it really messes up the rhythm if you have to stop and swap out for another familiar that you may not have bonded with yet. But if you have that familiar equipped to another dragon further down the line if you're doing arrow-key bonding, then you'll have to stop at that dragon to swap out the familiar, and so on.

I feel like this isn't that much of an objection, because the site knows which familiars you have equipped (just look at the bestiary). But it would be, in my mind, absolutely necessary (or concurrent) to this change being made.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Support. I don’t know if I would take advantage of this option, but I think this could open up a lot of neat lore possibilities!
Support. I don’t know if I would take advantage of this option, but I think this could open up a lot of neat lore possibilities!
l29.pngs21.pngo664-d02-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d03-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d04-Cirrostratus.pngo664-d01-R-Cirrostratus.png - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - iA6Dl9p.png
I support this (so long as you can still only bond with one of them). When I was brand, brand, brand new I thought the Trunkers were the cutest thing ever: [item=grasslands trunker] and I bought a bunch of them thinking everyone in my clan could have one. I had NO idea that only one of a particular familiar could be equipped at a time. Truth be told, I'd like about a dozen Gaolers that all had Dripcave Deputy familiars, as a sort of elite battalion, and the thing that's holding me back is you can't equip more than one and "other" Ice-themed familiars don't really have the same feel. Finding "matchy" familiars also isn't necessarily what I want. Likewise, I'd want an army of Noggles for the memes. As others have pointed out, this would also help the economy in the sense that it would probably make certain familiars more valuable.
I support this (so long as you can still only bond with one of them). When I was brand, brand, brand new I thought the Trunkers were the cutest thing ever:

Grasslands Trunker

and I bought a bunch of them thinking everyone in my clan could have one. I had NO idea that only one of a particular familiar could be equipped at a time.

Truth be told, I'd like about a dozen Gaolers that all had Dripcave Deputy familiars, as a sort of elite battalion, and the thing that's holding me back is you can't equip more than one and "other" Ice-themed familiars don't really have the same feel. Finding "matchy" familiars also isn't necessarily what I want.

Likewise, I'd want an army of Noggles for the memes.

As others have pointed out, this would also help the economy in the sense that it would probably make certain familiars more valuable.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
Support, that would make matching the familiars easier! Obviously you should be able to bond with only one of them, though. Also, as said above, some indication stating that this familiar is already equipped somewhere else would be great, though that could be checked with current filters, if really needed (bond with everything on dragons - then choose "not awakened' and "not bonded").

And I don't think that rare familiars hoarding would be an issue. Some people already do that, and if someone wants to stick Skycats on all the dragons... well, their money, their choice. We can bond via Fiona now anyway so it won't prevent anyone from completing the bestiary.
Support, that would make matching the familiars easier! Obviously you should be able to bond with only one of them, though. Also, as said above, some indication stating that this familiar is already equipped somewhere else would be great, though that could be checked with current filters, if really needed (bond with everything on dragons - then choose "not awakened' and "not bonded").

And I don't think that rare familiars hoarding would be an issue. Some people already do that, and if someone wants to stick Skycats on all the dragons... well, their money, their choice. We can bond via Fiona now anyway so it won't prevent anyone from completing the bestiary.
I think my main concerns with this are thusly:

1) Likely to be confusing to newbies if it's the default, since there's already a lot of confusion about different familiars being considered the "same" familiar for bonding progress. Being able to equip multiples but only bond with one is not expected behavior in these types of games.

2) Oh god my equip familiars page would become unmanageable, I melt regularly and still have 80+ pages of fams because of Coli, and tossing things in Baldwin is already a bit of a nightmare with regards to the internet chugging away trying to load everything so another Baldwin-style lag page would be… not ideal.

So basically I wouldn't want this to be the default, but if there's some way to make it an option for people who are interested, I wouldn't be against it or anything. I just want a way to not have to engage with it because of the huge amount of lag it would give me, whether that's an account setting or a button you have to click on the equip familiars page or some other solution.
I think my main concerns with this are thusly:

1) Likely to be confusing to newbies if it's the default, since there's already a lot of confusion about different familiars being considered the "same" familiar for bonding progress. Being able to equip multiples but only bond with one is not expected behavior in these types of games.

2) Oh god my equip familiars page would become unmanageable, I melt regularly and still have 80+ pages of fams because of Coli, and tossing things in Baldwin is already a bit of a nightmare with regards to the internet chugging away trying to load everything so another Baldwin-style lag page would be… not ideal.

So basically I wouldn't want this to be the default, but if there's some way to make it an option for people who are interested, I wouldn't be against it or anything. I just want a way to not have to engage with it because of the huge amount of lag it would give me, whether that's an account setting or a button you have to click on the equip familiars page or some other solution.
@mothscale

Good thoughts!

1) Definitely something to consider- maybe instead of the current mouseover on a bonded familiar's bond button being the current 'You have already bonded with this familiar today.' instead to 'You have already bonded with this kind of familiar today.'? It'd become second nature to a new player in not too long, I'd imagine (bit trickier for older players to adjust, lol!)

2) Fair point! Further up I theorized that maybe there could be another dropdown in the change familiars page along the lines of 'Paired with a dragon in your lair currently' and the dropdown options being Yes and No. Perhaps it could default to No to make it easier on established players. An option like that would also be useful for players that want to make sure they have unique familiars on all their dragons like we do now, if having non-unique ones became an option.
@mothscale

Good thoughts!

1) Definitely something to consider- maybe instead of the current mouseover on a bonded familiar's bond button being the current 'You have already bonded with this familiar today.' instead to 'You have already bonded with this kind of familiar today.'? It'd become second nature to a new player in not too long, I'd imagine (bit trickier for older players to adjust, lol!)

2) Fair point! Further up I theorized that maybe there could be another dropdown in the change familiars page along the lines of 'Paired with a dragon in your lair currently' and the dropdown options being Yes and No. Perhaps it could default to No to make it easier on established players. An option like that would also be useful for players that want to make sure they have unique familiars on all their dragons like we do now, if having non-unique ones became an option.
UJXttDL.png
[quote name="NorthSong" date="2021-01-24 21:00:41" ] @/mothscale Good thoughts! 1) Definitely something to consider- maybe instead of the current mouseover on a bonded familiar's bond button being the current 'You have already bonded with this familiar today.' instead to 'You have already bonded with this kind of familiar today.'? It'd become second nature to a new player in not too long, I'd imagine (bit trickier for older players to adjust, lol!) 2) Fair point! Further up I theorized that maybe there could be another dropdown in the change familiars page along the lines of 'Paired with a dragon in your lair currently' and the dropdown options being Yes and No. Perhaps it could default to No to make it easier on established players. An option like that would also be useful for players that want to make sure they have unique familiars on all their dragons like we do now, if having non-unique ones became an option. [/quote] 1) Honestly, even if the devs decide not to enact this suggestion something like this would probably be helpful! It certainly wouldn't prevent everything (customer service teaches you the hard way that people just don't read— I'm not immune to this, either, even knowing it, sometimes my eyes will just skip text) but would probably cut off some of the confusion. 2) Yeah, that's similar to what I was imagining! I was imagining either a toggle in the account options like selective feeding (I love everything about how selective feeding was handled and immediately turned it on, never looked back) or a checkbox/dropdown in the familiar selection screen that's defaulted to unique only (basically the current behavior). Either way, whatever the toggle would be (which would probably depend on how the devs decided to code it), having the current behavior be the default would help with lag issues, I think— and, in the event that the devs enact the suggestion but not the text change to "this type of familiar," (the opposite of the scenario I posited above, heh) even an option right there on the selection screen could help more newbies to grasp contextually that there's some sort of reason for that toggle to be there. So basically, yeah, I think those are good solutions even independent of each other and would work really nicely in tandem to alleviate my concerns! Apologies for any and all the run-on sentences I missed, my coherence levels are not great at the moment. [emoji=ridgeback laughing size=1]
NorthSong wrote on 2021-01-24 21:00:41:
@/mothscale

Good thoughts!

1) Honestly, even if the devs decide not to enact this suggestion something like this would probably be helpful! It certainly wouldn't prevent everything (customer service teaches you the hard way that people just don't read— I'm not immune to this, either, even knowing it, sometimes my eyes will just skip text) but would probably cut off some of the confusion.

2) Yeah, that's similar to what I was imagining! I was imagining either a toggle in the account options like selective feeding (I love everything about how selective feeding was handled and immediately turned it on, never looked back) or a checkbox/dropdown in the familiar selection screen that's defaulted to unique only (basically the current behavior). Either way, whatever the toggle would be (which would probably depend on how the devs decided to code it), having the current behavior be the default would help with lag issues, I think— and, in the event that the devs enact the suggestion but not the text change to "this type of familiar," (the opposite of the scenario I posited above, heh) even an option right there on the selection screen could help more newbies to grasp contextually that there's some sort of reason for that toggle to be there.

So basically, yeah, I think those are good solutions even independent of each other and would work really nicely in tandem to alleviate my concerns! Apologies for any and all the run-on sentences I missed, my coherence levels are not great at the moment.
[quote name="mothscale" date="2021-01-24 20:48:19" ]I melt regularly and still have 80+ pages of fams because of Coli, and tossing things in Baldwin is already a bit of a nightmare with regards to the internet chugging away trying to load everything so another Baldwin-style lag page would be… not ideal. [/quote] Honestly, I found it easier to throw everything in the vault except a handful needed for brewing (same with the food); with the current search system it's easy to find something there later, if needed. It really helps with loading, even though the vault becomes a bit of a mess XD
mothscale wrote on 2021-01-24 20:48:19:
I melt regularly and still have 80+ pages of fams because of Coli, and tossing things in Baldwin is already a bit of a nightmare with regards to the internet chugging away trying to load everything so another Baldwin-style lag page would be… not ideal.
Honestly, I found it easier to throw everything in the vault except a handful needed for brewing (same with the food); with the current search system it's easy to find something there later, if needed. It really helps with loading, even though the vault becomes a bit of a mess XD
1 2 3 4 5 6 7