Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Prevent people from exalting unnameds
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 17
[quote name="DreadlordMrSon" date="2021-01-23 18:03:52" ] Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons. [/quote] you had your chance to affect your own dragon's displays. before it went on the ah, you had a chance fix the thing that bothered [i]you[/i]. unnamed bothers the hell out of me, too. so every single dragon i sell, whether it's 5g fodder or one of my 200g breeding pair babies, gets named. and even so, there's still the possibility that someone will rename them StinkyFeet or CrunchFungus before exalting the simple fact is that every time a dragon leaves your lair, other people have the freedom to do whatever they want with it. you just have to accept that unnamed is among those things that's gonna happen, and the responsibility to remove that is up to you
DreadlordMrSon wrote on 2021-01-23 18:03:52:
Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons.

you had your chance to affect your own dragon's displays. before it went on the ah, you had a chance fix the thing that bothered you.

unnamed bothers the hell out of me, too. so every single dragon i sell, whether it's 5g fodder or one of my 200g breeding pair babies, gets named. and even so, there's still the possibility that someone will rename them StinkyFeet or CrunchFungus before exalting

the simple fact is that every time a dragon leaves your lair, other people have the freedom to do whatever they want with it. you just have to accept that unnamed is among those things that's gonna happen, and the responsibility to remove that is up to you
yomi.gif • +0 fr time
• they/them
[quote name="insanityxangel" date="2021-01-23 18:05:18" ] What people do not want is a block on [b]their[/b] end for a choice that the seller can just as easily make. [/quote] Not to mention that if such a feature was implemented, you're opening another undesirable can of worms. Suddenly, we can't exalt Unnamed dragons. With exalting restricted already, why shouldn't we be able to permanently mark dragons as unexaltable? It's sort of like a slippery-slope: we set the precedent that sellers still have control over dragons that they sold. Offspring lists are already a widespread issue, based on how often this (and the suggestion of hiding them) comes up. But exalting dragons that people don't want exalted is [i]also[/i] a widespread issue, given how many people put in the dragon's bio not to or send the buyer a message asking to not exalt the dragon. It's better to avoid the idea that it's possible to get these changes implemented in the first place.
insanityxangel wrote on 2021-01-23 18:05:18:
What people do not want is a block on their end for a choice that the seller can just as easily make.
Not to mention that if such a feature was implemented, you're opening another undesirable can of worms. Suddenly, we can't exalt Unnamed dragons. With exalting restricted already, why shouldn't we be able to permanently mark dragons as unexaltable?

It's sort of like a slippery-slope: we set the precedent that sellers still have control over dragons that they sold. Offspring lists are already a widespread issue, based on how often this (and the suggestion of hiding them) comes up. But exalting dragons that people don't want exalted is also a widespread issue, given how many people put in the dragon's bio not to or send the buyer a message asking to not exalt the dragon.

It's better to avoid the idea that it's possible to get these changes implemented in the first place.
fo11Vhp.png
Also, I would never understand how forcing exalters to name would fix the issue with the lists. What about people who buy the dragon to keep and then leave the game without naming it? There are 2,988,238 unnamed non-exalted dragons on FR and 7,955,181 exalted ones. That's only a x2 difference. And loads of those are in the abandoned lairs. Add to this people like me, who don't name dragons on purpose, and you get a very high chance to be stuck with unnamed unexalted dragon in the list, and even if you force exalters to do what you want, it won't help you to keep your list the way you want it to be.

Just. Name. Them.
Also, I would never understand how forcing exalters to name would fix the issue with the lists. What about people who buy the dragon to keep and then leave the game without naming it? There are 2,988,238 unnamed non-exalted dragons on FR and 7,955,181 exalted ones. That's only a x2 difference. And loads of those are in the abandoned lairs. Add to this people like me, who don't name dragons on purpose, and you get a very high chance to be stuck with unnamed unexalted dragon in the list, and even if you force exalters to do what you want, it won't help you to keep your list the way you want it to be.

Just. Name. Them.
[quote name="DreadlordMrSon" date="2021-01-23 18:03:52" ] "I see this brought up all the time!" Almost as if it's an idea with wide, popular support and is a serious issue for many players. And bearing in mind that for every person you see bring it up, many more people want it but say nothing. At the very least there should be a "hide dragon from offspring display" option. Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons. [/quote] The issue is it pushes the responsibility of naming onto the buyer. And by pushing the responsibility onto the buyer rather than the seller, is it doesnt actually fix the problem or change anything. Sure no more Unnamed, but it would cause more 'Unammed' or 'Unamed' or 'UNAMMED' exalts which is already a complaint. And that would honestly bother me far more than Unnamed because its intentionally spelt wrong. 'Named' is also a common one. I name everything I exalt, and I'm sure most of the people in this thread are in support of a hide offspring option and name their exalts as well, but even if you name your dragon and sell it, theres nothing stopping me from buying a scroll and renaming it 'yucky' or 'POTATO' if I want a meme dragon, or something that also doesn't look good in your offspring list. And that is something you cannot control as you did not keep or exalt that dragon yourself. Many people's offspring poems or song lyrics or project dragons have been ruined because they sold the offspring named instead of exalting it and the buyer renamed it. And that is something you have to consider when selling your dragons. I wouldnt want to buy a dragon and be unable to rename it either. Making a buyer name the dragon before exalting will literally fix nothing. You would still have people with bizarre copy paste names for their fodder, many less attractive than Unnamed, and some the generator spits out are terrible. I myself use a copy paste name when I buy fodder so I dont select the wrong dragon in the coli. Its nothing horridly eye catching like 'sPoNgEbOb' or xXFleeeaMARKETXx or whatever, but people still end up with 5 "Soup", "Unidentified", "Neopolitan', 'Pringles' or whatever word I decide on in the moment, in a row if I happen to grab their whole nest. Which of these is worse? [Columns] Unnamed Unnamed Lila Zenith Unnamed Arceus Cumulonimbus [Nextcol] [Nextcol] UNNAMMED Unamed Lila UNNAMMED UNnAMED Named Zenith [Nextcol] [Nextcol] DEAD OoOOoOoOOoOoOoOO Lila MeAndTheBoysAt 3AMlookinforBEANS REDACTED Hrhdjssjsj [/columns] This is why it is the breeders responsibility to upkeep their offspring list. Folks participating in dominance or profit exalting will not waste money on a rename scroll before they exalt their dragon. The people most likely to rename your dragon plan to keep it. Forcing people to name before exalting instead of naming when you sell will result in more of the same types of jokes people already make, you won't get nice pretty names, you'll get people sending 'ToiletPaper' to the Earthshaker.
"I see this brought up all the time!"

Almost as if it's an idea with wide, popular support and is a serious issue for many players.
And bearing in mind that for every person you see bring it up, many more people want it but say nothing.

At the very least there should be a "hide dragon from offspring display" option.
Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons.

The issue is it pushes the responsibility of naming onto the buyer.
And by pushing the responsibility onto the buyer rather than the seller, is it doesnt actually fix the problem or change anything.
Sure no more Unnamed, but it would cause more 'Unammed' or 'Unamed' or 'UNAMMED' exalts which is already a complaint. And that would honestly bother me far more than Unnamed because its intentionally spelt wrong. 'Named' is also a common one.
I name everything I exalt, and I'm sure most of the people in this thread are in support of a hide offspring option and name their exalts as well, but even if you name your dragon and sell it, theres nothing stopping me from buying a scroll and renaming it 'yucky' or 'POTATO' if I want a meme dragon, or something that also doesn't look good in your offspring list.

And that is something you cannot control as you did not keep or exalt that dragon yourself. Many people's offspring poems or song lyrics or project dragons have been ruined because they sold the offspring named instead of exalting it and the buyer renamed it. And that is something you have to consider when selling your dragons. I wouldnt want to buy a dragon and be unable to rename it either.

Making a buyer name the dragon before exalting will literally fix nothing. You would still have people with bizarre copy paste names for their fodder, many less attractive than Unnamed, and some the generator spits out are terrible.
I myself use a copy paste name when I buy fodder so I dont select the wrong dragon in the coli. Its nothing horridly eye catching like 'sPoNgEbOb' or xXFleeeaMARKETXx or whatever, but people still end up with 5 "Soup", "Unidentified", "Neopolitan', 'Pringles' or whatever word I decide on in the moment, in a row if I happen to grab their whole nest.

Which of these is worse?
Unnamed
Unnamed
Lila
Zenith
Unnamed
Arceus
Cumulonimbus
UNNAMMED
Unamed
Lila
UNNAMMED
UNnAMED
Named
Zenith
DEAD
OoOOoOoOOoOoOoOO
Lila
MeAndTheBoysAt
3AMlookinforBEANS
REDACTED
Hrhdjssjsj

This is why it is the breeders responsibility to upkeep their offspring list. Folks participating in dominance or profit exalting will not waste money on a rename scroll before they exalt their dragon. The people most likely to rename your dragon plan to keep it.

Forcing people to name before exalting instead of naming when you sell will result in more of the same types of jokes people already make, you won't get nice pretty names, you'll get people sending 'ToiletPaper' to the Earthshaker.
button_97x95.png[ Please do not PM me. 1623960663678.png
DSfOOlg.png
68388386.png 1623960663678.png 68483984.png
No support. In fact, I think we should all be able to coli with Unnamed dragons.

How is this anything but a seller's responsibility? And it is solved extremely easily without any sitewide changes, just by naming your dragons before selling them. Do you run a hatchery and you're worried you won't sell as many dragons if they are prenamed? Well, then what is it really worth to you? Is it worth enough to include a renaming scroll with sales?
No support. In fact, I think we should all be able to coli with Unnamed dragons.

How is this anything but a seller's responsibility? And it is solved extremely easily without any sitewide changes, just by naming your dragons before selling them. Do you run a hatchery and you're worried you won't sell as many dragons if they are prenamed? Well, then what is it really worth to you? Is it worth enough to include a renaming scroll with sales?
forgranite-banner-500x90.png
[quote name="DreadlordMrSon" date="2021-01-23 18:03:52" ] "I see this brought up all the time!" Almost as if it's an idea with wide, popular support and is a serious issue for many players. And bearing in mind that for every person you see bring it up, many more people want it but say nothing. [/quote] It's largely newer players mad that someone exalted a dragon unnamed that spurs these threads to crop up, but it doesn't change the fact that [b]FR's policy does not recognize a dragon as yours or that you have any say in what happens to said dragon after it leaves your lair.[/b] That will not change anytime soon, and has been enforced since launch. [quote name="DreadlordMrSon" date="2021-01-23 18:03:52" ] At the very least there should be a "hide dragon from offspring display" option. Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons. [/quote] staff did try to implement a system that hid unnamed offspring (if memory serves, it could have just hidden all offspring), but it was very quickly scrapped as it was causing very heavy server strain and rendering the site unusable during the very short while it was live.
"I see this brought up all the time!"

Almost as if it's an idea with wide, popular support and is a serious issue for many players.
And bearing in mind that for every person you see bring it up, many more people want it but say nothing.
It's largely newer players mad that someone exalted a dragon unnamed that spurs these threads to crop up, but it doesn't change the fact that FR's policy does not recognize a dragon as yours or that you have any say in what happens to said dragon after it leaves your lair. That will not change anytime soon, and has been enforced since launch.

At the very least there should be a "hide dragon from offspring display" option.

staff did try to implement a system that hid unnamed offspring (if memory serves, it could have just hidden all offspring), but it was very quickly scrapped as it was causing very heavy server strain and rendering the site unusable during the very short while it was live.
> sasser
any pronouns
> accent shop
9TbvK.gifEwSCN.gif576zR.gif
no support.

may be more productive to ask for a toggle system you can check, so the site automatically names any dragons you hatch, perhaps. if anyone wanted to change it, it's as easy as a rename scroll.
no support.

may be more productive to ask for a toggle system you can check, so the site automatically names any dragons you hatch, perhaps. if anyone wanted to change it, it's as easy as a rename scroll.
[quote name="insanityxangel" date="2021-01-23 17:26:07" ] [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-01-23 17:16:53" ] So, if you dislike unnamed dragons, name them before you sell them, no matter the price point of the dragon. If you dislike keyboard smashes, name the dragon before you sell. If you dislike 'fodder names', name the dragon before you sell. [b] Don't expect anyone else to know your preferences.[/b] [/quote] I think this is the key part of the discussion here. People who buy dragons and exalt them without naming do not know several things 1) what you prefer a name to look like 2) if you care about unnamed in offspring lists. It is not the buyer's job to control [b]your[/b] offspring list. [/quote] ^^^^ this plus exalting is a huge part of this sites biggest mechanic, some dragons are gonna get caught up in it named or not, and as everyone else has pointed out, you cant control what happens to a dragon once it leaves your lair as it is no longer yours. you sell a dragon unamed you understand that there's a good chance it's gonna get exalted unnamed or with a fodder name.
insanityxangel wrote on 2021-01-23 17:26:07:
Jemadar wrote on 2021-01-23 17:16:53:
So, if you dislike unnamed dragons, name them before you sell them, no matter the price point of the dragon. If you dislike keyboard smashes, name the dragon before you sell. If you dislike 'fodder names', name the dragon before you sell. Don't expect anyone else to know your preferences.

I think this is the key part of the discussion here. People who buy dragons and exalt them without naming do not know several things 1) what you prefer a name to look like 2) if you care about unnamed in offspring lists.

It is not the buyer's job to control your offspring list.
^^^^ this

plus exalting is a huge part of this sites biggest mechanic, some dragons are gonna get caught up in it named or not, and as everyone else has pointed out, you cant control what happens to a dragon once it leaves your lair as it is no longer yours.
you sell a dragon unamed you understand that there's a good chance it's gonna get exalted unnamed or with a fodder name.
dcprkry-6f227d16-78cf-4c0b-a85b-c510e6411384.png
skek | they/them | 24
the ghost with the most
tumblr_inline_psj27ukX3O1tc3swm_75sq.png
x
dcprhsf-50b03a4f-3549-4ad5-bcb0-35bf6e5b050d.png
[quote name="DreadlordMrSon" date="2021-01-23 18:03:52" ] Because I see a lot of "my dragon my choice" and no acknowledgement of the fact that your choices are affecting the display of other people's dragons. [/quote] Nice strawman argument. One of these things is purely aesthetic, and the other limits a user from using established game features. Noy to mention, like others have said, nobody is responsible for your own choice in not naming your dragons before they leave your lair. You made that choice, and we can't tell you to do otherwise--not until you try to make that choice other people's problem and take zero responsibility for it. Nobody gets a say in what YOU do with YOUR dragons, but neither do you get a say in what OTHER PEOPLE do with THEIR dragons.

Nice strawman argument. One of these things is purely aesthetic, and the other limits a user from using established game features.

Noy to mention, like others have said, nobody is responsible for your own choice in not naming your dragons before they leave your lair. You made that choice, and we can't tell you to do otherwise--not until you try to make that choice other people's problem and take zero responsibility for it. Nobody gets a say in what YOU do with YOUR dragons, but neither do you get a say in what OTHER PEOPLE do with THEIR dragons.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
[quote name="Stormfly" date="2021-01-23 19:04:23" ] Many people's offspring poems or song lyrics or project dragons have been ruined because they sold the offspring named instead of exalting it and the buyer renamed it. [/quote] This in fact happened to me with two song lyric breeding pairs (although I LOL'd at the "Kanye West" interruption, that was pretty good trolling), and is why if I'm being that particular about *~my offspring list~* the dragon either never leaves my lair or I exalt them myself. I still don't support forcing people to name dragons before exalting them*, because it goes against TOS of "it's their dragon now once they buy it". I blame myself for the (sort of) ruined offspring list, not whoever bought them and decided it was worth taking a loss to be a [bleep] to me. *[size=2]I have, to my knowledge, never exalted a dragon unnamed, not even in my heavy exalter dom terror days where I also yeeted hatchlings during a battle. That being said, almost everyone I know of who has exalted a dragon unnamed, it either was because of a dom battle, or for lore reasons.[/size]
Stormfly wrote on 2021-01-23 19:04:23:
Many people's offspring poems or song lyrics or project dragons have been ruined because they sold the offspring named instead of exalting it and the buyer renamed it.

This in fact happened to me with two song lyric breeding pairs (although I LOL'd at the "Kanye West" interruption, that was pretty good trolling), and is why if I'm being that particular about *~my offspring list~* the dragon either never leaves my lair or I exalt them myself.

I still don't support forcing people to name dragons before exalting them*, because it goes against TOS of "it's their dragon now once they buy it". I blame myself for the (sort of) ruined offspring list, not whoever bought them and decided it was worth taking a loss to be a [bleep] to me.

*I have, to my knowledge, never exalted a dragon unnamed, not even in my heavy exalter dom terror days where I also yeeted hatchlings during a battle. That being said, almost everyone I know of who has exalted a dragon unnamed, it either was because of a dom battle, or for lore reasons.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 17