Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Stop censoring this word
1 2 3
[quote name="Trix" date="2020-11-17 12:16:20" ] Wait, is CORVID blocked? Ugh, that's really frustrating. It's literally just a type of bird. Looking LIKE a word is pretty different from actually being the word. [/quote] Pretty sure it was blocked because people were using the word to get around the blocking of mentioning Covid itself. I imagine it'll be unblocked once the pandemic subsides. Considering FR is a child-friendly site (not entirely since it's still 13+, but it's certainly not mature), I'm personally not surprised to see a bunch of words censored. Though it's probably more appropriate to bring this up in a support ticket than in the Suggestions board (minus the OP of course, because that's more of a bug than anything else).
Trix wrote on 2020-11-17 12:16:20:
Wait, is CORVID blocked? Ugh, that's really frustrating. It's literally just a type of bird. Looking LIKE a word is pretty different from actually being the word.
Pretty sure it was blocked because people were using the word to get around the blocking of mentioning Covid itself. I imagine it'll be unblocked once the pandemic subsides.

Considering FR is a child-friendly site (not entirely since it's still 13+, but it's certainly not mature), I'm personally not surprised to see a bunch of words censored. Though it's probably more appropriate to bring this up in a support ticket than in the Suggestions board (minus the OP of course, because that's more of a bug than anything else).
fo11Vhp.png
[quote name="@Trix" date="2020-11-17 12:16:20" ] Wait, is CORVID blocked? Ugh, that's really frustrating. It's literally just a type of bird. Looking LIKE a word is pretty different from actually being the word. [/quote] Yep, it's blocked. I don't really see why, but since it's already blocked I guess we'll have to wait for the pandemic to end before we start a petition. I mean, unless it's in all-caps I see no resemblance to COVID whatsoever.
@Trix wrote on 2020-11-17 12:16:20:
Wait, is CORVID blocked? Ugh, that's really frustrating. It's literally just a type of bird. Looking LIKE a word is pretty different from actually being the word.
Yep, it's blocked.

I don't really see why, but since it's already blocked I guess we'll have to wait for the pandemic to end before we start a petition. I mean, unless it's in all-caps I see no resemblance to COVID whatsoever.
0EgCmlK.png >> Wishlist
>> Avatar dragon
>> 1,000 Days of G&G
>> Bean's Showcase, Boutique, and Workshop
People are astonishingly bad at distinguishing the word covid from corvid. The #corvid tags on insta got flooded with covid stuff because people couldn't tell the difference, so I can absolutely see someone using it even accidentally in place of covid, and people using it intentionally to try and get around the filter. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've said that's exactly why it's been (temporarily!) banned.

But that's not what this thread is about. Bon appetit with accents is certainly a technical issue and not an intentional decision to get offended over considering you can type it without accents. I'm more surprised you can type the accents at all on the forums, tbh.
People are astonishingly bad at distinguishing the word covid from corvid. The #corvid tags on insta got flooded with covid stuff because people couldn't tell the difference, so I can absolutely see someone using it even accidentally in place of covid, and people using it intentionally to try and get around the filter. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've said that's exactly why it's been (temporarily!) banned.

But that's not what this thread is about. Bon appetit with accents is certainly a technical issue and not an intentional decision to get offended over considering you can type it without accents. I'm more surprised you can type the accents at all on the forums, tbh.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Completely in support

Words like title aren’t censored even though they have the same sequence of letters in them, and the fact that bón Appetit is such a popular word It doesn’t make sense why it should be censored
Completely in support

Words like title aren’t censored even though they have the same sequence of letters in them, and the fact that bón Appetit is such a popular word It doesn’t make sense why it should be censored
pTjbLr0.png
Bingo
They/Them
+8 FRT
My username is RBG, not RGB
HotnSpicy’s Beauty Tips and Tricks
[nextcol]Blank blank blank[nextcol]blank blank blank[nextcol]
Bón Appetit isn't censored on purpose it's just that accent that breaks the word. They should consider fixing it but considering that this requires a change to how the site would read words it is likely harder then one would think to fix this without using an exception just for the word.
Bón Appetit isn't censored on purpose it's just that accent that breaks the word. They should consider fixing it but considering that this requires a change to how the site would read words it is likely harder then one would think to fix this without using an exception just for the word.
[quote]People are astonishingly bad at distinguishing the word covid from corvid. The #corvid tags on insta got flooded with covid stuff because people couldn't tell the difference, so I can absolutely see someone using it even accidentally in place of covid, and people using it intentionally to try and get around the filter. In fact, I'm pretty sure they've said that's exactly why it's been (temporarily!) banned.[/quote] I actually wonder how much of that has to do with autocorrect. I remember it seemed to take my autocorrect at least three days to catch up that covid/coronavirus was a word I was going to be using. And people who use the word "corvid" a lot, it stands to reason, would get that corrected.
Quote:
I actually wonder how much of that has to do with autocorrect. I remember it seemed to take my autocorrect at least three days to catch up that covid/coronavirus was a word I was going to be using. And people who use the word "corvid" a lot, it stands to reason, would get that corrected.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2020-11-17 12:48:40" ] ah, in my own language they are only known under the other name. My point still stands though, calling a horsebreed by its name isn't a crime nor an insult. *shrug* [/quote] Please don't ping me in the suggestion forms. On one hand, I get it, since I really like a particular style of music that has the same name. On the other hand, the name is still literally a slur. The horses are named after that slur. The problem is that the slur became so ubiquitous that folks just used it very casually. While talking about the horse isn't likely to be an insult to anyone, the word itself makes folks uncomfortable for a good reason, and it's probably not a terrible idea to find alternative words for it. At any rate, I don't think FR should uncensor the word.
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2020-11-17 12:48:40:
ah, in my own language they are only known under the other name. My point still stands though, calling a horsebreed by its name isn't a crime nor an insult. *shrug*

Please don't ping me in the suggestion forms.

On one hand, I get it, since I really like a particular style of music that has the same name. On the other hand, the name is still literally a slur. The horses are named after that slur. The problem is that the slur became so ubiquitous that folks just used it very casually. While talking about the horse isn't likely to be an insult to anyone, the word itself makes folks uncomfortable for a good reason, and it's probably not a terrible idea to find alternative words for it. At any rate, I don't think FR should uncensor the word.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
[quote name="fatbingo" date="2020-11-18 01:14:39" ] Completely in support Words like title aren’t censored even though they have the same sequence of letters in them, and the fact that bón Appetit is such a popular word It doesn’t make sense why it should be censored [/quote] It does make sense why it's censored--because the accent breaks up the word and makes the site code read the last three letters as separate from the rest of the word. It's not that anyone set out to deliberately censor a French word. It's just some wonky coding that would probably be way more trouble than it's worth to fix.
fatbingo wrote on 2020-11-18 01:14:39:
Completely in support

It does make sense why it's censored--because the accent breaks up the word and makes the site code read the last three letters as separate from the rest of the word. It's not that anyone set out to deliberately censor a French word. It's just some wonky coding that would probably be way more trouble than it's worth to fix.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
Hello everyone! Thank you for the report about the filter grabbing partial words under specific circumstances. This isn't intended behavior and I've forwarded this to the engineers for review. We're looking into this bug now.

As this isn't a suggestion but a bug report I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. Thank you!
Hello everyone! Thank you for the report about the filter grabbing partial words under specific circumstances. This isn't intended behavior and I've forwarded this to the engineers for review. We're looking into this bug now.

As this isn't a suggestion but a bug report I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. Thank you!
1 2 3