Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Stop censoring this word
1 2 3
It’s bon appé***, as in, enjoy your meal, which is something we say all the time even in English. French is my 2nd language and I find it insulting and asinine that they would censor such a common expression.

Mostly, I think this needs to stop being censored when it makes up a part of this word.
It’s bon appé***, as in, enjoy your meal, which is something we say all the time even in English. French is my 2nd language and I find it insulting and asinine that they would censor such a common expression.

Mostly, I think this needs to stop being censored when it makes up a part of this word.
CTF4up6.png
it took me probably 5 minutes to figure out what's wrong with the part that's censored and then I was like "oh" (because there's a bird called this)

Yeah if it's part of another word I don't think it should be censored either that's just silly and rude

it took me probably 5 minutes to figure out what's wrong with the part that's censored and then I was like "oh" (because there's a bird called this)

Yeah if it's part of another word I don't think it should be censored either that's just silly and rude

support. if its part of another "normal" word then it shouldn't be censored, it should only be censored if its its own standalone word
support. if its part of another "normal" word then it shouldn't be censored, it should only be censored if its its own standalone word
D7bKm3p.jpg
I guess we just don't like French, because you're not allowed to name dragons Cher, either.
I guess we just don't like French, because you're not allowed to name dragons Cher, either.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
it doesn't appear to get censored when you drop the accent: bon appetit. i wonder why the accented character causes the filter the site uses to treat the -*** part as a separate word.
it doesn't appear to get censored when you drop the accent: bon appetit. i wonder why the accented character causes the filter the site uses to treat the -*** part as a separate word.
> sasser
any pronouns
> accent shop
9TbvK.gifEwSCN.gif576zR.gif
Support. It's weird, too, since I feel like most of the time something that would be censored alone doesn't get tagged when its part of a word, so why this one time? Did they have to manually flag it to do that?
Support. It's weird, too, since I feel like most of the time something that would be censored alone doesn't get tagged when its part of a word, so why this one time? Did they have to manually flag it to do that?
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
[quote name="Almedha" date="2020-11-16 08:03:57" ] I guess we just don't like French, because you're not allowed to name dragons Cher, either. [/quote] [Font=fantasy]it's coz of chernobyl come to find out. I know, it's pretty bad. But I can name my dragon after the city chernobyl is in. Fun stuff. My dad's side of the family was from there (pripyat) and had to relocate[/font]
Almedha wrote on 2020-11-16 08:03:57:
it's coz of chernobyl come to find out. I know, it's pretty bad. But I can name my dragon after the city chernobyl is in. Fun stuff. My dad's side of the family was from there (pripyat) and had to relocate
[quote name="Sasser" date="2020-11-16 08:06:12" ] it doesn't appear to get censored when you drop the accent: bon appetit. i wonder why the accented character causes the filter the site uses to treat the -*** part as a separate word. [/quote] I'd be willing to bet that the accent causes a break. I've been working on records that sometimes have accents, and the name Ge?rard looks like "G%C3%A9rard" when I see just the code for it, so that accent probably works the same way, and everything after that registers as a separate word. In which case, I don't really know how they could fix that.
Sasser wrote on 2020-11-16 08:06:12:

I'd be willing to bet that the accent causes a break. I've been working on records that sometimes have accents, and the name Ge?rard looks like "G%C3%A9rard" when I see just the code for it, so that accent probably works the same way, and everything after that registers as a separate word. In which case, I don't really know how they could fix that.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
[quote name="Sasser" date="2020-11-16 08:06:12" ] it doesn't appear to get censored when you drop the accent: bon appetit. i wonder why the accented character causes the filter the site uses to treat the -*** part as a separate word. [/quote] It's 100% a coding thing, like Trix said. If it's possible to fix, sure, that'd be great! But it's not something that was done deliberately and may not be something that's possible to fix without causing other issues. The staff themselves have actually named in-game items deliberately wrong by removing spaces so that they wouldn't trip the profanity filter in the forums, so I think it's something they're both aware of and not able to easily fix.
Sasser wrote on 2020-11-16 08:06:12:

It's 100% a coding thing, like Trix said. If it's possible to fix, sure, that'd be great! But it's not something that was done deliberately and may not be something that's possible to fix without causing other issues. The staff themselves have actually named in-game items deliberately wrong by removing spaces so that they wouldn't trip the profanity filter in the forums, so I think it's something they're both aware of and not able to easily fix.
[quote name="Entrapta" date="2020-11-16 08:12:05" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2020-11-16 08:03:57" ] I guess we just don't like French, because you're not allowed to name dragons Cher, either. [/quote] [Font=fantasy]it's coz of chernobyl come to find out. I know, it's pretty bad. But I can name my dragon after the city chernobyl is in. Fun stuff. My dad's side of the family was from there (pripyat) and had to relocate[/font] [/quote] Yeah, I'd heard that, but that makes zero sense to me. I'd imagine that shortening Chernobyl to Cher is infinitely less common than the French word or the pop singer. And certainly not more common than both those things together. At least, I've never heard of shortening Chernobyl that way. If Cher is a banned name because someone out there is using it as an abbreviation for Chernobyl, then why isn't Cov banned because it can be an abbreviation of Covid?
Entrapta wrote on 2020-11-16 08:12:05:
Almedha wrote on 2020-11-16 08:03:57:
it's coz of chernobyl come to find out. I know, it's pretty bad. But I can name my dragon after the city chernobyl is in. Fun stuff. My dad's side of the family was from there (pripyat) and had to relocate
Yeah, I'd heard that, but that makes zero sense to me. I'd imagine that shortening Chernobyl to Cher is infinitely less common than the French word or the pop singer. And certainly not more common than both those things together. At least, I've never heard of shortening Chernobyl that way.

If Cher is a banned name because someone out there is using it as an abbreviation for Chernobyl, then why isn't Cov banned because it can be an abbreviation of Covid?
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 3