Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rename "Plantation Pincher"
1 2 3
Plantation is a normal word that only becomes a bad one with context. A crab called a plantation picker because it likes to harvest veggies is not one of them.

For example we have pirate clothes on site but it’s clear it’s “cool fictional” pirates instead of what most real pirates were, looting robbing murderers who did awful things. Context is important.
Plantation is a normal word that only becomes a bad one with context. A crab called a plantation picker because it likes to harvest veggies is not one of them.

For example we have pirate clothes on site but it’s clear it’s “cool fictional” pirates instead of what most real pirates were, looting robbing murderers who did awful things. Context is important.
Plantations are still everywhere in the world and the word doesn't persist to have a bad connotation to it. Maybe you've never gone outside a city or something where this is the only association you'd have with the word, but I feel like everywhere else, this is a commonplace term like block or something. Or, sure, sugar.

EDIT:
Is this the same person that made almost word-for-word this same suggestion (to the same reception) maybe a month ago? I can't find the old thread...
Plantations are still everywhere in the world and the word doesn't persist to have a bad connotation to it. Maybe you've never gone outside a city or something where this is the only association you'd have with the word, but I feel like everywhere else, this is a commonplace term like block or something. Or, sure, sugar.

EDIT:
Is this the same person that made almost word-for-word this same suggestion (to the same reception) maybe a month ago? I can't find the old thread...
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
no support, this is why I wish the staff didn't rename familiars before cuz now we get these
no support, this is why I wish the staff didn't rename familiars before cuz now we get these
DVcXRyP.png
I'm sure this thread or one on the same subject has come up before, and again this one gets a no support from me just like the previous one. There's nothing offensive about an agriculture themed crab critter and the name does not need to be changed.
I'm sure this thread or one on the same subject has come up before, and again this one gets a no support from me just like the previous one. There's nothing offensive about an agriculture themed crab critter and the name does not need to be changed.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png
no support. people can stop being angry about the semi random conglomeration of letters and syllabus we call 'words'
no support. people can stop being angry about the semi random conglomeration of letters and syllabus we call 'words'
tgKCVtZ.png
No support.

Plantations aren't an actual issue. In history? Sure, yes, historically they were known for slavery. However plantation, as a word, does not equal some relation to slavery. It describes large agricultural areas and, where I live, we have very, very many plantations. No one has a problem with them being called this because that's what they are. It's really no big deal and I think that perhaps you are reading too far into this.
No support.

Plantations aren't an actual issue. In history? Sure, yes, historically they were known for slavery. However plantation, as a word, does not equal some relation to slavery. It describes large agricultural areas and, where I live, we have very, very many plantations. No one has a problem with them being called this because that's what they are. It's really no big deal and I think that perhaps you are reading too far into this.
Quote:
it only means large area of vegetation or big farm
This. No support.
Quote:
it only means large area of vegetation or big farm
This. No support.
No support. People really need to chill out and stop with this ridiculous 'everything is offensive' mindset. It's unhealthy.
No support. People really need to chill out and stop with this ridiculous 'everything is offensive' mindset. It's unhealthy.
forumsig_by_plantfeathers-datch91.png
No support. Stop trying to make issues where there aren't any.
No support. Stop trying to make issues where there aren't any.
sBdLZtA.png
would like to see this. as someone in the US i was surprised to see it used neutrally on here. to be clear for people who live elsewhere, it's not just that the term is associated vaguely with exploiting people held in slavery a long time ago, like ships or boats or cotton. the term is associated with an ongoing effort by racists to sanitize, glorify, and reference nostalgia for the wealth accumulated through this exploitation. so even seeing it used neutrally to reference agriculture still can easily read, to americans, like participation in the current white supremacist project of erasing the catastrophic violence taking place at southern plantations

when it comes to something totally frivolous like the name of a pretend crab or whatever, i would be VERY happy to change it if i learned the name of the made up crab was strongly associated with the ongoing glorification of wealth accumulated via enslaving others, even if this connection was only common in another country. not trying to overwrite any other country's relationship to the word, but in an international space, i don't really see any reason not to choose another word for something silly when people from any given place have a strong reaction to it bc of their country's history
would like to see this. as someone in the US i was surprised to see it used neutrally on here. to be clear for people who live elsewhere, it's not just that the term is associated vaguely with exploiting people held in slavery a long time ago, like ships or boats or cotton. the term is associated with an ongoing effort by racists to sanitize, glorify, and reference nostalgia for the wealth accumulated through this exploitation. so even seeing it used neutrally to reference agriculture still can easily read, to americans, like participation in the current white supremacist project of erasing the catastrophic violence taking place at southern plantations

when it comes to something totally frivolous like the name of a pretend crab or whatever, i would be VERY happy to change it if i learned the name of the made up crab was strongly associated with the ongoing glorification of wealth accumulated via enslaving others, even if this connection was only common in another country. not trying to overwrite any other country's relationship to the word, but in an international space, i don't really see any reason not to choose another word for something silly when people from any given place have a strong reaction to it bc of their country's history
1 2 3