Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Rename "Plantation Pincher"
1 2 3
Hello, staff who may read this!! I greatly enjoy this site, and I love the cute familiars that can accompany my dragons! However, the adorable blue crab I obtained during the recent Drakeharvest has a somewhat....unfortunate name.

While I understand why a cornucopia-themed familiar would be named after a form of farm, it's very important to remember the terrible history of the plantation as a way of life. I suggest that the Plantation Pincher be renamed, perhaps to the Productive Pincher or Plentiful Pincher! This is a great website, and I think that should be reflected in ALL its aspects. Thanks!
Hello, staff who may read this!! I greatly enjoy this site, and I love the cute familiars that can accompany my dragons! However, the adorable blue crab I obtained during the recent Drakeharvest has a somewhat....unfortunate name.

While I understand why a cornucopia-themed familiar would be named after a form of farm, it's very important to remember the terrible history of the plantation as a way of life. I suggest that the Plantation Pincher be renamed, perhaps to the Productive Pincher or Plentiful Pincher! This is a great website, and I think that should be reflected in ALL its aspects. Thanks!
bouncy_fire_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da9o0vp.gif9YcEmqg.pngbouncy_fire_flight_by_dogi_crimson-da9o0vp.gif
8WTeiP5.png
No support. It's just a name. Plantations still exist across the world nearly anywhere with good land and lots of crops to be grown, there's not really anything nefarious about them. There's plenty of items, things, and places that at one point were assosciated with or used by nefarious groups in specific regions, but that doesn't mean that the object/place/thing is or ever was inherently bad. That's like saying ships are bad because they're used by pirates, or that ports are bad because many not-so-great things are or were trafficked through them. It just doesn't make sense.
No support. It's just a name. Plantations still exist across the world nearly anywhere with good land and lots of crops to be grown, there's not really anything nefarious about them. There's plenty of items, things, and places that at one point were assosciated with or used by nefarious groups in specific regions, but that doesn't mean that the object/place/thing is or ever was inherently bad. That's like saying ships are bad because they're used by pirates, or that ports are bad because many not-so-great things are or were trafficked through them. It just doesn't make sense.
FR+3

Hatchery
Art Shop (OPEN)
Lore Bits Masterlist
g2TOb2t.png
SOMEONE PLEASE
KEEP ME OUT
OF THE SCRYING WORKSHOP
3bOlZcm.png
This again?

No support. Plantation is the name of a large ranch, not exclusively associated with slavery, and is still in use today under its non-slavery associated name.

As Lugia said, many words and objects have unfortunate associations, but that doesn't mean that they still retain that use today, nor that we should remove all mention of those words,
This again?

No support. Plantation is the name of a large ranch, not exclusively associated with slavery, and is still in use today under its non-slavery associated name.

As Lugia said, many words and objects have unfortunate associations, but that doesn't mean that they still retain that use today, nor that we should remove all mention of those words,

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
This word only has a not-so-good history relation in the US, everywhere else in the world it only means large area of vegetation or big farm. I use the word plantation in a daily basis because I work in a agricultural based university. Until the word mainly means other than large farm and is wildly known over the world, I cannot support this. Remember, even though FR is US-based game, its player base is all over the world, and this word had never been used in an inherently bad way. It just has a bad association with US history but it's still a wildly used innocent term.

I cannot support this suggestion. If we start finding things to be offended in innocent places, there will always be other innocent words that have bad association elsewhere in the world, and should we change them all? One day we'll just run out of innocent words to use.
This word only has a not-so-good history relation in the US, everywhere else in the world it only means large area of vegetation or big farm. I use the word plantation in a daily basis because I work in a agricultural based university. Until the word mainly means other than large farm and is wildly known over the world, I cannot support this. Remember, even though FR is US-based game, its player base is all over the world, and this word had never been used in an inherently bad way. It just has a bad association with US history but it's still a wildly used innocent term.

I cannot support this suggestion. If we start finding things to be offended in innocent places, there will always be other innocent words that have bad association elsewhere in the world, and should we change them all? One day we'll just run out of innocent words to use.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Plantations have never been exclusive to slavery and are perfectly innocent in most of the world and still exist today without slavery. There is nothing inherently wrong with them.
Plantations have never been exclusive to slavery and are perfectly innocent in most of the world and still exist today without slavery. There is nothing inherently wrong with them.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
I feel like this isn't a universally bad word? I have places near me called plantations that folks currently work at, and one that I think is a historical site that was converted into something else, but they still call it a plantation for some reason. It is not an inherently negative thing- a lot of friends do seasonal work at plantations because it is pretty decent money for someone that doesn't have a lot of work experience or schooling.
I feel like this isn't a universally bad word? I have places near me called plantations that folks currently work at, and one that I think is a historical site that was converted into something else, but they still call it a plantation for some reason. It is not an inherently negative thing- a lot of friends do seasonal work at plantations because it is pretty decent money for someone that doesn't have a lot of work experience or schooling.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
So, let's also ban any references to sugar, cotton, chains, and ships, shall we? Context is important.
So, let's also ban any references to sugar, cotton, chains, and ships, shall we? Context is important.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
no support

this isn't like a word or a name people stopped using en masse in the real world. this isn't like the cultural appropriation that's been corrected in the past. as has been pointed out by others, plantations still exist today, and are actually highly relevant to food production in some places. it's not one of those words that are treated as 'guilty by association.'

problems with individual plantations, particularly in the Americas, still exist... but in the same way that they do with prisons, and gaolers aren't going to be sanitized off the site just by nature of sharing the word. (In fact, i'd argue gaolers are the worse of the two, since they share not just the word but the concept, and an eradication campaign of another breed is part of their lore.)

all things should be viewed in context and from a wider perspective than one's own immediate associations. going in with a baseball bat gives you the neopets filters, and doesn't serve to protect anyone.
no support

this isn't like a word or a name people stopped using en masse in the real world. this isn't like the cultural appropriation that's been corrected in the past. as has been pointed out by others, plantations still exist today, and are actually highly relevant to food production in some places. it's not one of those words that are treated as 'guilty by association.'

problems with individual plantations, particularly in the Americas, still exist... but in the same way that they do with prisons, and gaolers aren't going to be sanitized off the site just by nature of sharing the word. (In fact, i'd argue gaolers are the worse of the two, since they share not just the word but the concept, and an eradication campaign of another breed is part of their lore.)

all things should be viewed in context and from a wider perspective than one's own immediate associations. going in with a baseball bat gives you the neopets filters, and doesn't serve to protect anyone.
Basically, Plentiful Pincher sounds better to me than Plantation pincher, so I want this change. But I’m not sure that it connotes racism enough to warrant a name change.
Basically, Plentiful Pincher sounds better to me than Plantation pincher, so I want this change. But I’m not sure that it connotes racism enough to warrant a name change.
[quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-18 12:39:23" ] So, let's also ban any references to sugar, cotton, chains, and ships, shall we? Context is important. [/quote] This. No support, Plantation is not inherently a bad word.
SeaCrest wrote on 2020-09-18 12:39:23:
This. No support, Plantation is not inherently a bad word.
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
1 2 3