Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ban the name, "unnammed"
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-09-19 03:54:49" ] [quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2020-09-19 02:56:52" ] Absolutely no support. This would be an endless "oh, we should also ban "Unnnamed" and also "Unammmed" and...", where would it stop? The fact that some people convinced themselves Unnamed dragons are bad (they're not) is not a site wide problem, and shouldn't be "fixed" by removing some customization options from everyone else. Unnammed sounds like a perfectly okay name, and there is virtually no way to prove someone naming a dragon they bought from someone else to "spite them". It's impossible. [/quote] You can’t pretend Unnamed isn’t negative when unnamed offspring [b]severely[/b] lowers the worth of a dragon. This is a basic fact of FR’s market. The majority of players care about visible unnamed in the offspring lists of their dragons. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t see “all offspring named” in dragon advertising or “oh he’s got some Unnameds, can you go lower?” when people haggle. “Unammed”, “Unnarned”, “Unnammed”, and “Unamed” should all be banned from the naming system. Someone seeking to keep a dragon without a name can go directly contact sellers who are ok with unnamed offspring. They shouldn’t be able to go behind their backs and rename a dragon to specifically make it look like it says “Unnamed”. It’s just plain rude. [/quote] Unnamed isn't negative, actually. FR is a game about breeding dragons, dressing them up, and making them pretty. It is NOT about offspring lists and names being aesthetically pleasing. That is something that has been determined by the community itself for personal aesthetic purposes. These things only 'devalue' a dragon because of the community and preferences of a specific user. In general, pricing is subjective. I value G1s and oldies over others because that's my lair and my preference, but someone that doesn't dabble on that end of things isn't likely to see the value in what I like. This is perfectly fine and valid. The problem comes from the arbitrary value the community puts on dragons with certain lists (or even having one at all), not some value the site puts on dragons with certain things on the list. You don't get more from exalting an unbred dragon over a bred dragon. This is purely player-made value, not the site's. In turn, it is not their job to ban, in this case, a name based on something that is (1) not always harassment and perfectly valid to name in a legitimately non-harassment setting, and (2) not something they outright intended to ever be a thing of value.
Contaminate wrote on 2020-09-19 03:54:49:
ColonelChicken wrote on 2020-09-19 02:56:52:
Absolutely no support. This would be an endless "oh, we should also ban "Unnnamed" and also "Unammmed" and...", where would it stop? The fact that some people convinced themselves Unnamed dragons are bad (they're not) is not a site wide problem, and shouldn't be "fixed" by removing some customization options from everyone else. Unnammed sounds like a perfectly okay name, and there is virtually no way to prove someone naming a dragon they bought from someone else to "spite them". It's impossible.

You can’t pretend Unnamed isn’t negative when unnamed offspring severely lowers the worth of a dragon. This is a basic fact of FR’s market. The majority of players care about visible unnamed in the offspring lists of their dragons. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t see “all offspring named” in dragon advertising or “oh he’s got some Unnameds, can you go lower?” when people haggle.

“Unammed”, “Unnarned”, “Unnammed”, and “Unamed” should all be banned from the naming system. Someone seeking to keep a dragon without a name can go directly contact sellers who are ok with unnamed offspring. They shouldn’t be able to go behind their backs and rename a dragon to specifically make it look like it says “Unnamed”. It’s just plain rude.

Unnamed isn't negative, actually. FR is a game about breeding dragons, dressing them up, and making them pretty. It is NOT about offspring lists and names being aesthetically pleasing. That is something that has been determined by the community itself for personal aesthetic purposes. These things only 'devalue' a dragon because of the community and preferences of a specific user. In general, pricing is subjective. I value G1s and oldies over others because that's my lair and my preference, but someone that doesn't dabble on that end of things isn't likely to see the value in what I like. This is perfectly fine and valid.

The problem comes from the arbitrary value the community puts on dragons with certain lists (or even having one at all), not some value the site puts on dragons with certain things on the list. You don't get more from exalting an unbred dragon over a bred dragon. This is purely player-made value, not the site's. In turn, it is not their job to ban, in this case, a name based on something that is (1) not always harassment and perfectly valid to name in a legitimately non-harassment setting, and (2) not something they outright intended to ever be a thing of value.
[quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-09-19 03:54:49" ] [quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2020-09-19 02:56:52" ] Absolutely no support. This would be an endless "oh, we should also ban "Unnnamed" and also "Unammmed" and...", where would it stop? The fact that some people convinced themselves Unnamed dragons are bad (they're not) is not a site wide problem, and shouldn't be "fixed" by removing some customization options from everyone else. Unnammed sounds like a perfectly okay name, and there is virtually no way to prove someone naming a dragon they bought from someone else to "spite them". It's impossible. [/quote] You can’t pretend Unnamed isn’t negative when unnamed offspring [b]severely[/b] lowers the worth of a dragon. This is a basic fact of FR’s market. The majority of players care about visible unnamed in the offspring lists of their dragons. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t see “all offspring named” in dragon advertising or “oh he’s got some Unnameds, can you go lower?” when people haggle. “Unammed”, “Unnarned”, “Unnammed”, and “Unamed” should all be banned from the naming system. Someone seeking to keep a dragon without a name can go directly contact sellers who are ok with unnamed offspring. They shouldn’t be able to go behind their backs and rename a dragon to specifically make it look like it says “Unnamed”. It’s just plain rude. [/quote] this is a bad argument. in general, but especially in this thread. 1. this is a user-created problem. we have arbitrarily assigned extra or less worth to every line of code of each dragon. XXY and XYY G1s have massively different worths despite both being doubles. there is literally nothing the staff can (or should) do to try and affect any of it. 2. 'unnamed' isn't the only factor in what makes an offspring list undesirable. names in ALL CAPS or aLtErNaTiNg CaPs, references to memes, etc. also devalue a dragon. unnamed just happens to be the most common one you see because everyone goes through a phase when they start out where they sell unnamed hatchlings. when you come across a dragon with offspring like BellyLintLOL in their list it's given the same disclaimer and subsequent treatment. people still get harassed over copy-pasting fodder names 7 years out because someone can suddenly have 5 offspring named Yeetus or Memelord all in a line. that devalues the dragon too. 3. 95% of the problem OF unnamed hatchlings being on that list would be solved if new sellers were better informed (and old sellers could reconcile the fact that once a dragon leaves their lair it's no longer theirs, and it's no one's problem but their own if they want to carefully-cultivate their offspring lists by avoiding all the above names. i learned that lesson myself.) that would basically completely eradicate unnameds on the lists of people who don't want a surprise. 4. but most importantly: [b]this is not the way to fix the problem that OP is having.[/b] again: if they are being harassed, there is no amount of name banning that is going to solve that problem until the users are dealt with on an individual level. restricting the entire userbase is not the way to solve that issue because it leaves those people free to pick a different name and continue to bother OP. it would be punishing literally everybody but those people.
Absolutely no support. This would be an endless "oh, we should also ban "Unnnamed" and also "Unammmed" and...", where would it stop? The fact that some people convinced themselves Unnamed dragons are bad (they're not) is not a site wide problem, and shouldn't be "fixed" by removing some customization options from everyone else. Unnammed sounds like a perfectly okay name, and there is virtually no way to prove someone naming a dragon they bought from someone else to "spite them". It's impossible.

You can’t pretend Unnamed isn’t negative when unnamed offspring severely lowers the worth of a dragon. This is a basic fact of FR’s market. The majority of players care about visible unnamed in the offspring lists of their dragons. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t see “all offspring named” in dragon advertising or “oh he’s got some Unnameds, can you go lower?” when people haggle.

“Unammed”, “Unnarned”, “Unnammed”, and “Unamed” should all be banned from the naming system. Someone seeking to keep a dragon without a name can go directly contact sellers who are ok with unnamed offspring. They shouldn’t be able to go behind their backs and rename a dragon to specifically make it look like it says “Unnamed”. It’s just plain rude.

this is a bad argument. in general, but especially in this thread.

1. this is a user-created problem. we have arbitrarily assigned extra or less worth to every line of code of each dragon. XXY and XYY G1s have massively different worths despite both being doubles. there is literally nothing the staff can (or should) do to try and affect any of it.
2. 'unnamed' isn't the only factor in what makes an offspring list undesirable. names in ALL CAPS or aLtErNaTiNg CaPs, references to memes, etc. also devalue a dragon. unnamed just happens to be the most common one you see because everyone goes through a phase when they start out where they sell unnamed hatchlings. when you come across a dragon with offspring like BellyLintLOL in their list it's given the same disclaimer and subsequent treatment. people still get harassed over copy-pasting fodder names 7 years out because someone can suddenly have 5 offspring named Yeetus or Memelord all in a line. that devalues the dragon too.
3. 95% of the problem OF unnamed hatchlings being on that list would be solved if new sellers were better informed (and old sellers could reconcile the fact that once a dragon leaves their lair it's no longer theirs, and it's no one's problem but their own if they want to carefully-cultivate their offspring lists by avoiding all the above names. i learned that lesson myself.) that would basically completely eradicate unnameds on the lists of people who don't want a surprise.
4. but most importantly: this is not the way to fix the problem that OP is having. again: if they are being harassed, there is no amount of name banning that is going to solve that problem until the users are dealt with on an individual level. restricting the entire userbase is not the way to solve that issue because it leaves those people free to pick a different name and continue to bother OP. it would be punishing literally everybody but those people.
Also, not 100% relevant to the thread, but exalters would prefer that you name your kids before selling.
If I had an Unnammed or Unarned in an offspring list, I would advertise that as "lore offspring" because some people like having dragons with active offspring, and if someone took the effort to rename to that, they're pretty likely to have a reason. I have two offspring list projects in my lair right now, and I don't sell any of them. I don't even send their kids off for pushes, just on the slim chance a receiver would decide to "rescue" one, because at that point it is their dragon. I name, train, and exalt them myself. That's the only way to completely guarantee control over your offspring lists.
If you are genuinely being harassed, ie, someone is buying up all your dragons for sale and renaming them Unnammed, then absolutely report them. Otherwise... well, renaming is a risk you take when a dragon leaves your account. Sometimes it's not fun, but it's also usually not done AT anyone.
Also, not 100% relevant to the thread, but exalters would prefer that you name your kids before selling.
If I had an Unnammed or Unarned in an offspring list, I would advertise that as "lore offspring" because some people like having dragons with active offspring, and if someone took the effort to rename to that, they're pretty likely to have a reason. I have two offspring list projects in my lair right now, and I don't sell any of them. I don't even send their kids off for pushes, just on the slim chance a receiver would decide to "rescue" one, because at that point it is their dragon. I name, train, and exalt them myself. That's the only way to completely guarantee control over your offspring lists.
If you are genuinely being harassed, ie, someone is buying up all your dragons for sale and renaming them Unnammed, then absolutely report them. Otherwise... well, renaming is a risk you take when a dragon leaves your account. Sometimes it's not fun, but it's also usually not done AT anyone.
wq9PoXA.png
@Entrapta,

It's banned because it was a horrific tragedy that killed people. My mother was sunbathing on a beach near Krakow at the time and even at that distance she was told she likely wouldn't make it to 40 after being exposed to that much radiation. (luckily she's still alive and kicking, but she's not fully escaped the consequences.)
@Entrapta,

It's banned because it was a horrific tragedy that killed people. My mother was sunbathing on a beach near Krakow at the time and even at that distance she was told she likely wouldn't make it to 40 after being exposed to that much radiation. (luckily she's still alive and kicking, but she's not fully escaped the consequences.)
Lore
Hatchery
Dream Dragons
bepadepadept line long line short boop bepepepep
VPsWmjb.gif
[quote name="Naivety" date="2020-09-19 10:03:10" ] [quote name="Entrapta" date="2020-09-19 09:14:43" ] I seriously want wolves banned because I'm so sick of seeing them All jokes aside why is chernobyl banned lmao my family is from pripyat? Anyways, why are we still doing this. Leave unnamed alone already. [/quote] Thats the same dumb reason why unnammed should be banned. Wolves is normal name. Why Chernobyl is banned? Its beacuse there was a catastrophe. Toxicity from that time is still in air. [/quote] I think they're referring to the user, not the name itself. And while I think that's a bit far to outright ban them, I can understand the extreme annoyance at a user who functionally just went full karen mode over what appears to be one singular offspring being named to unnammed.
Naivety wrote on 2020-09-19 10:03:10:
Entrapta wrote on 2020-09-19 09:14:43:
I seriously want wolves banned because I'm so sick of seeing them
All jokes aside why is chernobyl banned lmao my family is from pripyat?
Anyways, why are we still doing this. Leave unnamed alone already.
Thats the same dumb reason why unnammed should be banned. Wolves is normal name.
Why Chernobyl is banned? Its beacuse there was a catastrophe. Toxicity from that time is still in air.
I think they're referring to the user, not the name itself. And while I think that's a bit far to outright ban them, I can understand the extreme annoyance at a user who functionally just went full karen mode over what appears to be one singular offspring being named to unnammed.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
No. If I want my prenamed dragon unnamed for whatever lore or personal aesthetic reason I have, I should be allowed to change it's name to something that looks similar. It's my dragon now and I'm allowed to name or rename it to whatever I want as long as it's within the sites rules.

Unnamed, unnarned and other variants people use to rename their dragons to look unnamed are not offensive in any way and should not be banned. If you think people are doing it to target you specifically, you can report it. However, drawing attention to how much you hate unnamed and making a big fuss over it like in the way you have been is just going to encourage the less savoury people to poke at you and purposely exalt your dragons with unnamed or some variant even more.

I'd rather have unnamed, unnammed, unnarned etc. in my offspring lists than random keyboard smash or crappy internet meme related names, but if someone bout a dragon off me and wanted to rename it those things, they're well within their right to as much as I personally am not a fan.
No. If I want my prenamed dragon unnamed for whatever lore or personal aesthetic reason I have, I should be allowed to change it's name to something that looks similar. It's my dragon now and I'm allowed to name or rename it to whatever I want as long as it's within the sites rules.

Unnamed, unnarned and other variants people use to rename their dragons to look unnamed are not offensive in any way and should not be banned. If you think people are doing it to target you specifically, you can report it. However, drawing attention to how much you hate unnamed and making a big fuss over it like in the way you have been is just going to encourage the less savoury people to poke at you and purposely exalt your dragons with unnamed or some variant even more.

I'd rather have unnamed, unnammed, unnarned etc. in my offspring lists than random keyboard smash or crappy internet meme related names, but if someone bout a dragon off me and wanted to rename it those things, they're well within their right to as much as I personally am not a fan.
forumsig_by_plantfeathers-datch91.png
[quote name="cantrip" date="2020-09-19 10:41:12" ] [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-09-19 03:54:49" ] [quote name="ColonelChicken" date="2020-09-19 02:56:52" ] Absolutely no support. This would be an endless "oh, we should also ban "Unnnamed" and also "Unammmed" and...", where would it stop? The fact that some people convinced themselves Unnamed dragons are bad (they're not) is not a site wide problem, and shouldn't be "fixed" by removing some customization options from everyone else. Unnammed sounds like a perfectly okay name, and there is virtually no way to prove someone naming a dragon they bought from someone else to "spite them". It's impossible. [/quote] You can’t pretend Unnamed isn’t negative when unnamed offspring [b]severely[/b] lowers the worth of a dragon. This is a basic fact of FR’s market. The majority of players care about visible unnamed in the offspring lists of their dragons. If it wasn’t a big deal, you wouldn’t see “all offspring named” in dragon advertising or “oh he’s got some Unnameds, can you go lower?” when people haggle. “Unammed”, “Unnarned”, “Unnammed”, and “Unamed” should all be banned from the naming system. Someone seeking to keep a dragon without a name can go directly contact sellers who are ok with unnamed offspring. They shouldn’t be able to go behind their backs and rename a dragon to specifically make it look like it says “Unnamed”. It’s just plain rude. [/quote] this is a bad argument. in general, but especially in this thread. 1. this is a user-created problem. we have arbitrarily assigned extra or less worth to every line of code of each dragon. XXY and XYY G1s have massively different worths despite both being doubles. there is literally nothing the staff can (or should) do to try and affect any of it. [/quote] The entirety of the dragon economy is user-created, thus its completely logical to point out that community opinions are the driving factor of the economy and are meaningful aspects that have to be taken into account when selling a dragon. Unnamed is the default, the “I didn’t even attempt to give an identity to this dragon”. Bred G1s ARE worth less because the community as a whole has decided such. Dragons with ugly offspring lists with unnameds and cApSlOOk names ARE worth less because the community as a whole decided such. Palindromes, repeating digits, birthday IDs, ARE worth more because the community as a whole decided such. A small handful of people diverting from the typical opinions do not mean the community’s general opinions aren’t the important ones to adhere to when it comes to the value of a dragon. Someone who dislikes doubles and triples because they’re boring (me) isn’t dumb enough to sell off a triple G1 for 15g. I wouldn’t scatter one and objectively lower it’s value just because I don’t like triples. Why would someone who hates named dragons (against the site-wide norm) go out and “Unnammed” a dragon knowing it would upset people because it DOES lower the value of their dragon. They named their dragons to avoid having the value lowered by inconsiderate people. It’s extremely rude to go behind someone’s back knowing they very likely wished to avoid “Unnamed” in their dragons’ offspring lists, and rename it with the sole intention of making it look like “Unnamed” at a glance. If you want an unnamed dragon, go [b]talk to sellers directly[/b]. People don’t because they know players likely wouldn’t sell them any dragons knowing that they intended to never give it a name.
cantrip wrote on 2020-09-19 10:41:12:

this is a bad argument. in general, but especially in this thread.

1. this is a user-created problem. we have arbitrarily assigned extra or less worth to every line of code of each dragon. XXY and XYY G1s have massively different worths despite both being doubles. there is literally nothing the staff can (or should) do to try and affect any of it.

The entirety of the dragon economy is user-created, thus its completely logical to point out that community opinions are the driving factor of the economy and are meaningful aspects that have to be taken into account when selling a dragon. Unnamed is the default, the “I didn’t even attempt to give an identity to this dragon”. Bred G1s ARE worth less because the community as a whole has decided such. Dragons with ugly offspring lists with unnameds and cApSlOOk names ARE worth less because the community as a whole decided such. Palindromes, repeating digits, birthday IDs, ARE worth more because the community as a whole decided such.

A small handful of people diverting from the typical opinions do not mean the community’s general opinions aren’t the important ones to adhere to when it comes to the value of a dragon.

Someone who dislikes doubles and triples because they’re boring (me) isn’t dumb enough to sell off a triple G1 for 15g. I wouldn’t scatter one and objectively lower it’s value just because I don’t like triples.

Why would someone who hates named dragons (against the site-wide norm) go out and “Unnammed” a dragon knowing it would upset people because it DOES lower the value of their dragon. They named their dragons to avoid having the value lowered by inconsiderate people. It’s extremely rude to go behind someone’s back knowing they very likely wished to avoid “Unnamed” in their dragons’ offspring lists, and rename it with the sole intention of making it look like “Unnamed” at a glance.

If you want an unnamed dragon, go talk to sellers directly. People don’t because they know players likely wouldn’t sell them any dragons knowing that they intended to never give it a name.
sBdLZtA.png
People don't talk to sellers directly because we don't need permission to name a dragon what we want to.
People don't talk to sellers directly because we don't need permission to name a dragon what we want to.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
Not everyone on this site has enough ease to discuss in English, and not everyone is okay with communicating with strangers.

Talking to the seller is also useless, if you're buying a named oldie, a named Gen 1, a named dragon with a special ID number, a named dragon with a specific birthday... They cannot *unname* the dragon under any circumstance, so people do have to make do with Unnarned or Unnammed.

These dragons can't just be rebred.
Not everyone on this site has enough ease to discuss in English, and not everyone is okay with communicating with strangers.

Talking to the seller is also useless, if you're buying a named oldie, a named Gen 1, a named dragon with a special ID number, a named dragon with a specific birthday... They cannot *unname* the dragon under any circumstance, so people do have to make do with Unnarned or Unnammed.

These dragons can't just be rebred.
[quote name="Tserin" date="2020-09-19 15:53:00" ] People don't talk to sellers directly because we don't need permission to name a dragon what we want to. [/quote] They intentionally took steps to avoid having their dragons devalued, to go directly against their only safeguard is extremely rude.
Tserin wrote on 2020-09-19 15:53:00:

They intentionally took steps to avoid having their dragons devalued, to go directly against their only safeguard is extremely rude.
sBdLZtA.png
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11