Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ban the name, "unnammed"
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
[quote name="Stormdragon" date="2020-09-17 10:59:15" ] If the spelling of this name is being used for the sole purpose of harassing you then that person(s) need to be reported. Harassment is not, and never has been, acceptable here. [/quote] Ban / punish the player, not the name is always my stance.
Stormdragon wrote on 2020-09-17 10:59:15:
If the spelling of this name is being used for the sole purpose of harassing you then that person(s) need to be reported. Harassment is not, and never has been, acceptable here.

Ban / punish the player, not the name is always my stance.
[quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that. [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike? [/quote] If a person genuinely doesn't know that the dragon was sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed, then it isn't spiteful to rename that way, and if they lost the report discourse it would indicate major failure on the part of the site's staff. It would suggest they aren't actually looking into the interaction or history between the two players, which is distressing. As realistic as that is, it depresses me and I'd rather not dwell on it. In a world where authority figures actually do their jobs, there's no reason to live in fear of disciplinary action for buying a dragon and renaming it however you like unless you are actually spitefully purchasing and renaming dragons with intent to antagonize someone.
AceofWolves wrote on 2020-09-17 15:17:11:
Drakel wrote on 2020-09-17 15:13:04:
AceofWolves wrote on 2020-09-17 13:23:38:
SeaCrest wrote on 2020-09-17 10:49:10:
Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround?

I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that.

Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way.

True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike?

If a person genuinely doesn't know that the dragon was sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed, then it isn't spiteful to rename that way, and if they lost the report discourse it would indicate major failure on the part of the site's staff. It would suggest they aren't actually looking into the interaction or history between the two players, which is distressing. As realistic as that is, it depresses me and I'd rather not dwell on it.

In a world where authority figures actually do their jobs, there's no reason to live in fear of disciplinary action for buying a dragon and renaming it however you like unless you are actually spitefully purchasing and renaming dragons with intent to antagonize someone.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
Irrelevant. There's already a methodology in place to ban names as the staff has banned names in the past.

If a particular name rises to a "we need to ban this" level it does happen.

At a guess it's just the OP getting hit with it for whatever reason. Banning a name from the site when it's being used against one person seems a bit of an overkill.

It's important to the person being harassed but not necessarily the user population as a whole.

For example if someone's RL name was Susan and people were buying any dragons they sold to be named "Susan" it could be considered harassment. It wouldn't be considered harassment to name randomly bought or hatched dragons "Susan."

See the difference?
Irrelevant. There's already a methodology in place to ban names as the staff has banned names in the past.

If a particular name rises to a "we need to ban this" level it does happen.

At a guess it's just the OP getting hit with it for whatever reason. Banning a name from the site when it's being used against one person seems a bit of an overkill.

It's important to the person being harassed but not necessarily the user population as a whole.

For example if someone's RL name was Susan and people were buying any dragons they sold to be named "Susan" it could be considered harassment. It wouldn't be considered harassment to name randomly bought or hatched dragons "Susan."

See the difference?
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] [b]I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that.[/b] [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] [b]True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike?[/b] [/quote] Bold mine - I don't like the implication that anyone who renames a dragon with a name the previous owner doesn't like is a "harasser". Frankly, with this "point" now made clear, I'm even more against this suggestion as the current owner has and should have full rights to the dragon, and those rights include the right to name/rename a dragon whatever they want, perhaps even against the wishes of the previous owner.
Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround?

I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that.

Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way.

True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike?

Bold mine - I don't like the implication that anyone who renames a dragon with a name the previous owner doesn't like is a "harasser".

Frankly, with this "point" now made clear, I'm even more against this suggestion as the current owner has and should have full rights to the dragon, and those rights include the right to name/rename a dragon whatever they want, perhaps even against the wishes of the previous owner.
JQQ3Fjt.png
[quote name="RedWillia" date="2020-09-17 23:57:37" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] [b]I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that.[/b] [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] [b]True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike?[/b] [/quote] Bold mine - I don't like the implication that anyone who renames a dragon with a name the previous owner doesn't like is a "harasser". Frankly, with this "point" now made clear, I'm even more against this suggestion as the current owner has and should have full rights to the dragon, and those rights include the right to name/rename a dragon whatever they want, perhaps even against the wishes of the previous owner. [/quote] Honestly, that “I don’t like what this person named their dragon so I reported them” mindset is disgusting. It’s not your dragon. People can do whatever they want with dragons they now own. If they want to rename it, even to something the seller doesn’t like, they’re free to do so. If you don’t want the dragons you sell to potentially be renamed, don’t sell them. Reporting people for playing the game the way they want to isn’t right, and is actually against the rules. If it’s obviously done in spite then yes, that’s harassment which can be reported. Otherwise, you’re the one in the wrong. The only reason “unnamed” itself is banned is because it could be used to trick people into needing to buy a renaming scroll. That’s it. It’s not an inherently bad name by any stretch. No worse than Door or Custard. “Don’t buy named dragons” is a very stupid argument. If there’s only one dragon of a certain color combo on the AH, I’m going to buy it and rename it if I so please. I’m not gonna start a long-as-heck breeding project if there’s one already available. [quote name="Gimeurcookie" date="2020-09-17 18:55:00" ] [quote name="Stormdragon" date="2020-09-17 10:59:15" ] If the spelling of this name is being used for the sole purpose of harassing you then that person(s) need to be reported. Harassment is not, and never has been, acceptable here. [/quote] Ban / punish the player, not the name is always my stance. [/quote] This. In case it wasn’t already obvious, no support.
RedWillia wrote on 2020-09-17 23:57:37:

Bold mine - I don't like the implication that anyone who renames a dragon with a name the previous owner doesn't like is a "harasser".

Frankly, with this "point" now made clear, I'm even more against this suggestion as the current owner has and should have full rights to the dragon, and those rights include the right to name/rename a dragon whatever they want, perhaps even against the wishes of the previous owner.

Honestly, that “I don’t like what this person named their dragon so I reported them” mindset is disgusting. It’s not your dragon. People can do whatever they want with dragons they now own. If they want to rename it, even to something the seller doesn’t like, they’re free to do so. If you don’t want the dragons you sell to potentially be renamed, don’t sell them. Reporting people for playing the game the way they want to isn’t right, and is actually against the rules. If it’s obviously done in spite then yes, that’s harassment which can be reported. Otherwise, you’re the one in the wrong.
The only reason “unnamed” itself is banned is because it could be used to trick people into needing to buy a renaming scroll. That’s it. It’s not an inherently bad name by any stretch. No worse than Door or Custard.

“Don’t buy named dragons” is a very stupid argument. If there’s only one dragon of a certain color combo on the AH, I’m going to buy it and rename it if I so please. I’m not gonna start a long-as-heck breeding project if there’s one already available.
Gimeurcookie wrote on 2020-09-17 18:55:00:
Stormdragon wrote on 2020-09-17 10:59:15:
If the spelling of this name is being used for the sole purpose of harassing you then that person(s) need to be reported. Harassment is not, and never has been, acceptable here.

Ban / punish the player, not the name is always my stance.
This.
In case it wasn’t already obvious, no support.
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
[quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] [b]I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that.[/b] [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] [b]True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike?[/b] [/quote] (Keeping RedWilla's bold) I was at least sympathetic when I thought someone was literally buying all your dragons and spite-naming/exalting them Unnammed. But from this it sounds like you're just having the occasional dragon bought and named something you, personally, dislike, and... frankly, no one is going to "find out through a harassment strike" because that's not harassment. Once a player buys a dragon it is THEIR DRAGON, and while staff does make an exception for clear targeted behavior, it doesn't sound like that's what this is. In fact, scrolling through your lair I see a few actually Unnamed offspring and one "Unnarned" parent, but that's... about it? No support for removing a name that is perfectly legitimate just because you don't like it.

(Keeping RedWilla's bold)
I was at least sympathetic when I thought someone was literally buying all your dragons and spite-naming/exalting them Unnammed. But from this it sounds like you're just having the occasional dragon bought and named something you, personally, dislike, and... frankly, no one is going to "find out through a harassment strike" because that's not harassment. Once a player buys a dragon it is THEIR DRAGON, and while staff does make an exception for clear targeted behavior, it doesn't sound like that's what this is. In fact, scrolling through your lair I see a few actually Unnamed offspring and one "Unnarned" parent, but that's... about it? No support for removing a name that is perfectly legitimate just because you don't like it.
wq9PoXA.png
I understand finding it distressing. I really do. But there's a lot of valid reasons to leave it alone. Including that we'll get to ridiculous variations needing to be banned, and staff shouldn't have to deal with that. Ban everything reasonable, and then there'd be "Unnomed", and "Unnawed, and "Umame", and who knows what else people might use as a workaround?

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only time a person would know they got a harassment strike is if they're in the wrong. If someone complains that player is harassing them, but the player's done nothing wrong, then I don't think they'll ever know anybody complained about them at all. This is part of why the old "Stop X or I'll report you" nonsense was bad and has more or less died. Because you don't know ever if the person honestly reported you or not unless you get banned or whatever.

Personally, I don't care if people want to rename my sold dragons whatever. As long as it isn't legitimately bad or offensive. I already have some names I'd sort of rather not on my offspring lists, and some Unnameds. I name my dragons before I let them leave my lair as some protection against it, but I can't control what happens past that. All I can ensure is they don't wind up in a dead lair or exalted as an Unnamed, which I prefer. And I've come to terms with that. It can be upsetting, but it isn't worth trying to fight over unless the person seems to be doing it as harassment.
I understand finding it distressing. I really do. But there's a lot of valid reasons to leave it alone. Including that we'll get to ridiculous variations needing to be banned, and staff shouldn't have to deal with that. Ban everything reasonable, and then there'd be "Unnomed", and "Unnawed, and "Umame", and who knows what else people might use as a workaround?

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only time a person would know they got a harassment strike is if they're in the wrong. If someone complains that player is harassing them, but the player's done nothing wrong, then I don't think they'll ever know anybody complained about them at all. This is part of why the old "Stop X or I'll report you" nonsense was bad and has more or less died. Because you don't know ever if the person honestly reported you or not unless you get banned or whatever.

Personally, I don't care if people want to rename my sold dragons whatever. As long as it isn't legitimately bad or offensive. I already have some names I'd sort of rather not on my offspring lists, and some Unnameds. I name my dragons before I let them leave my lair as some protection against it, but I can't control what happens past that. All I can ensure is they don't wind up in a dead lair or exalted as an Unnamed, which I prefer. And I've come to terms with that. It can be upsetting, but it isn't worth trying to fight over unless the person seems to be doing it as harassment.
girl_icon_by_orgetzu-d8qm7bc.pngping_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z0s1w.pnghatchery_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z17md.pngart_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1fu6.pnggen_1_sale_icon___orange_by_orgetzu-d9zwj8j.png
bubble_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1pvh.png
unicorn_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1xrd.pnghouse_icon_z_by_orgetzu-d9z2r3i.pngwinter_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z2szz.pngfrog_icon_by_orgetzu-d9zwkt5.pngpixel_potatoes_by_orgetzu-d9z0pkl.gif Some of these pixels go places....
[quote name="LordJeanliness" date="2020-09-17 15:51:14" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that. [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike? [/quote] This really, REALLY sounds like your modus operandi is to report anyone who renames a dragon they bought from you something you don't like. People are not required to adhere to your aesthetic when renaming dragons they own. If you have actual evidence that someone's harassing you, report it and it'll be dealt with. Telling people that it's bad to rename dragons that they own ~just in case~ the previous owner decides to report them for renaming their OWN dragons is .....not great. [/quote] Its not my mo. Many dragons of mine have been renamed and exalted. Its just when it is THAT one its a problem. No not required but if I named a dragon," unnamed is not valid." It would also be considered harresment as it calls out and targets individuals. This is that same level.
LordJeanliness wrote on 2020-09-17 15:51:14:

This really, REALLY sounds like your modus operandi is to report anyone who renames a dragon they bought from you something you don't like. People are not required to adhere to your aesthetic when renaming dragons they own. If you have actual evidence that someone's harassing you, report it and it'll be dealt with.

Telling people that it's bad to rename dragons that they own ~just in case~ the previous owner decides to report them for renaming their OWN dragons is .....not great.

Its not my mo. Many dragons of mine have been renamed and exalted. Its just when it is THAT one its a problem. No not required but if I named a dragon," unnamed is not valid." It would also be considered harresment as it calls out and targets individuals. This is that same level.
Please call me Ace. ALWAYS PING IF NOT MY FOURM..it helps me respond easier.
[quote name="LordJeanliness" date="2020-09-17 15:51:14" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 15:17:11" ] [quote name="Drakel" date="2020-09-17 15:13:04" ] [quote name="AceofWolves" date="2020-09-17 13:23:38" ] [quote name="SeaCrest" date="2020-09-17 10:49:10" ] Do you not consider the possibility that users want unnamed dragons, but they were purchased already-named, and that this is their workaround? [/quote] I have and all I can say to that is DONT BUY NAMED DRAGON. I've had to report people 5 separate times for that. [/quote] Not every named dragon is being sold by someone that dislikes Unnamed. I name every dragon I sell, but that's 100% to prevent having them all named the same thing in a row if they get trained up by someone that has a template (ie. naming them all Trainee or something.) I would not mind if someone renamed any of my dragons' offspring to Unnarned, any more than I would if they were renamed to any other thing. It isn't automatically spiteful to rename that way. [/quote] True not every dragon sold is by someobe like me but it is best to assume it is....why find out through a harresment strike? [/quote] This really, REALLY sounds like your modus operandi is to report anyone who renames a dragon they bought from you something you don't like. People are not required to adhere to your aesthetic when renaming dragons they own. If you have actual evidence that someone's harassing you, report it and it'll be dealt with. Telling people that it's bad to rename dragons that they own ~just in case~ the previous owner decides to report them for renaming their OWN dragons is .....not great. [/quote] Its not my mo. Many dragons of mine have been renamed and exalted. Its just when it is THAT one its a problem. No not required but if I named a dragon," unnamed is not valid." It would also be considered harresment as it calls out and targets individuals. This is that same level.
LordJeanliness wrote on 2020-09-17 15:51:14:

This really, REALLY sounds like your modus operandi is to report anyone who renames a dragon they bought from you something you don't like. People are not required to adhere to your aesthetic when renaming dragons they own. If you have actual evidence that someone's harassing you, report it and it'll be dealt with.

Telling people that it's bad to rename dragons that they own ~just in case~ the previous owner decides to report them for renaming their OWN dragons is .....not great.

Its not my mo. Many dragons of mine have been renamed and exalted. Its just when it is THAT one its a problem. No not required but if I named a dragon," unnamed is not valid." It would also be considered harresment as it calls out and targets individuals. This is that same level.
[quote name="Orgetzu" date="2020-09-18 10:24:17"] Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only time a person would know they got a harassment strike is if they're in the wrong. If someone complains that player is harassing them, but the player's done nothing wrong, then I don't think they'll ever know anybody complained about them at all. This is part of why the old "Stop X or I'll report you" nonsense was bad and has more or less died. Because you don't know ever if the person honestly reported you or not unless you get banned or whatever. Personally, I don't care if people want to rename my sold dragons whatever. As long as it isn't legitimately bad or offensive. I already have some names I'd sort of rather not on my offspring lists, and some Unnameds. I name my dragons before I let them leave my lair as some protection against it, but I can't control what happens past that. All I can ensure is they don't wind up in a dead lair or exalted as an Unnamed, which I prefer. And I've come to terms with that. It can be upsetting, but it isn't worth trying to fight over unless the person seems to be doing it as harassment. [/quote] While I never had a harresment charge I have had "bad" names I accidently didn't know were trying to avoid rules changed and the staff informed me of this.
Orgetzu wrote on 2020-09-18 10:24:17:

While I never had a harresment charge I have had "bad" names I accidently didn't know were trying to avoid rules changed and the staff informed me of this.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11