Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | New layout feedback
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Considering my personal preference, apparel could go back to lower left (where physical information now is), but physical information could go in the middle where battle information is located now, leave upper left empty for aesthetic reason. As for battle info, I feel it would be better to make it show through hover/expansion via a button in the physical information. Seriously now it almost feels like a public shaming for dragons with poor leveling/stones.

My biggest problem is still that with the familiar location. Not that it's a bad thing to have the familiar more visible, but just taking the golden ratio spiral in mind WIKIPEDIA LINK HERE in case you're unsure what I meant. The current design is messed up in that when you click open a dragon profile the first thing you see is the FAMILIAR not the dragon, making it completely improper aesthetically. This just bothers me too much I don't even wanna look at my dragons now. With that in mind I would even prefer the familiar goes back to lower-right, and move the lineage information up instead. I mean, after all the lineage info has a BOX in the background which makes it out of place among the other sections in the same row anyway, why not just move it up.
Considering my personal preference, apparel could go back to lower left (where physical information now is), but physical information could go in the middle where battle information is located now, leave upper left empty for aesthetic reason. As for battle info, I feel it would be better to make it show through hover/expansion via a button in the physical information. Seriously now it almost feels like a public shaming for dragons with poor leveling/stones.

My biggest problem is still that with the familiar location. Not that it's a bad thing to have the familiar more visible, but just taking the golden ratio spiral in mind WIKIPEDIA LINK HERE in case you're unsure what I meant. The current design is messed up in that when you click open a dragon profile the first thing you see is the FAMILIAR not the dragon, making it completely improper aesthetically. This just bothers me too much I don't even wanna look at my dragons now. With that in mind I would even prefer the familiar goes back to lower-right, and move the lineage information up instead. I mean, after all the lineage info has a BOX in the background which makes it out of place among the other sections in the same row anyway, why not just move it up.
@Meowfred I agree with the dragon stats and stones and being better placed under a tooltip when you hover over their level, but I'll have to disagree with you on the familiar thing, especially if you try to justify it with the golden ratio.
The golden ratio is an arbitrary, unconventional composition system that shows principles of gestalt and design, yes, but that's not how it works. The golden ratio can be flipped and turned, it's not about reading flow, it's about focal points and what other elements of the image lead to that focal point - in the case of the dragon profiles, that's none. If I mirror it both horizontally and vertically, the focal point is now on the top left. It's still the golden ratio, but now your argument broke completely apart.

Your argument is still valid, but not because of the ratio, because of reading flow. The first thing you see in an image, by the estabilished rules of gestalt (the science of visuality), is the top left. Western reading flows top left to bottom right, making the top left your entrance and the bottom right your exit - and where your eyes linger the most. I think that's what's getting you: that position puts the familiar in a memorable, important part of the page and it's getting your attention too much.
Even so, gestalt is relative, rules of gestalt overwrite each other all the time. In the case of dragon profiles, the importance is evident in size rather than position. Dragons are displayed much bigger than familiars (remember: they are not in canon proportion. Rocs are much bigger than they show up in a dragon profile, just look at Fiona). I think an easy fix to that would be to just shrink the familiars a bit, increasing the importance of the dragon by the visual rule of size. But at this point, I'm not going to suggest that to staff because they already have a lot to change and I'm not even sure if they'll listen to us.....

Also sorry if this sounded angry or patronizing I'm just trying to explain how you can justify your argument with something that works instead of the golden ratio. XP <3
@Meowfred I agree with the dragon stats and stones and being better placed under a tooltip when you hover over their level, but I'll have to disagree with you on the familiar thing, especially if you try to justify it with the golden ratio.
The golden ratio is an arbitrary, unconventional composition system that shows principles of gestalt and design, yes, but that's not how it works. The golden ratio can be flipped and turned, it's not about reading flow, it's about focal points and what other elements of the image lead to that focal point - in the case of the dragon profiles, that's none. If I mirror it both horizontally and vertically, the focal point is now on the top left. It's still the golden ratio, but now your argument broke completely apart.

Your argument is still valid, but not because of the ratio, because of reading flow. The first thing you see in an image, by the estabilished rules of gestalt (the science of visuality), is the top left. Western reading flows top left to bottom right, making the top left your entrance and the bottom right your exit - and where your eyes linger the most. I think that's what's getting you: that position puts the familiar in a memorable, important part of the page and it's getting your attention too much.
Even so, gestalt is relative, rules of gestalt overwrite each other all the time. In the case of dragon profiles, the importance is evident in size rather than position. Dragons are displayed much bigger than familiars (remember: they are not in canon proportion. Rocs are much bigger than they show up in a dragon profile, just look at Fiona). I think an easy fix to that would be to just shrink the familiars a bit, increasing the importance of the dragon by the visual rule of size. But at this point, I'm not going to suggest that to staff because they already have a lot to change and I'm not even sure if they'll listen to us.....

Also sorry if this sounded angry or patronizing I'm just trying to explain how you can justify your argument with something that works instead of the golden ratio. XP <3
JxXWPTT.png
Coli guide
_ BjzISWz.png
FR Goals
_ 9gI0bgp.png
Art shop
_ Undying-Featherback.png
Lair map
_ Rat-King.png
Pixels
_ 4bPVjcz.png
Site
_ Venomous-Toridae.png
BBCode guide
_ WAYSTONECROPPED.gif
[quote name="SkekMal" date="2020-06-08 12:38:10" ] Support definitely. I dont dislike the new layout but switching the info and apparel would make it much nicer imo. Also the second mockup putting the lineage in the middle is a great idea, seeing as we're used to it being there [/quote] ^^^Same!
SkekMal wrote on 2020-06-08 12:38:10:
Support definitely. I dont dislike the new layout but switching the info and apparel would make it much nicer imo. Also the second mockup putting the lineage in the middle is a great idea, seeing as we're used to it being there
^^^Same!
d6Bpz8P.pngCx0Sdv8.pngzWgdxzn.png5cC87Ar.png5Pvzltj.pngvAUMJFv.pngqKZAaLK.pngRFvdPMt.pngSLGMeHq.pngd3XCZt0.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o2_r2_250.gif
mz77kVn.png
I support either of these mockups.

My aesthetic is minimal apparel because I want to focus on the colours and genes of my dragons. Also I want any accents on them to be more visible. I don’t want the first thing I see to be a bunch of empty boxes and unfortunately like others have mentioned that is where the eye is first drawn.

It’s somewhat frustrating to me to think that FR staff seemed to only have those users who love to overwhelm their dragons with apparel in mind when they created these dragon profiles. In a game where everyone has their own unique take on how to play I don’t understand why profiles aren’t customisable so that we can choose which boxes we want where on the page.
I support either of these mockups.

My aesthetic is minimal apparel because I want to focus on the colours and genes of my dragons. Also I want any accents on them to be more visible. I don’t want the first thing I see to be a bunch of empty boxes and unfortunately like others have mentioned that is where the eye is first drawn.

It’s somewhat frustrating to me to think that FR staff seemed to only have those users who love to overwhelm their dragons with apparel in mind when they created these dragon profiles. In a game where everyone has their own unique take on how to play I don’t understand why profiles aren’t customisable so that we can choose which boxes we want where on the page.
I love that we got this new update, I think the staff did a great job on it.
And this is coming from someone who has been with one foot out the door ever since Roundesy started her shop.

HOWEVER, I do agree that the Apparel would look a lot nicer moved down like in the mockup edit.
I love that we got this new update, I think the staff did a great job on it.
And this is coming from someone who has been with one foot out the door ever since Roundesy started her shop.

HOWEVER, I do agree that the Apparel would look a lot nicer moved down like in the mockup edit.
TOW2n3q.png
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT
Current layout is clunky and awkward. Player mockup is 10000x better
SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT
Current layout is clunky and awkward. Player mockup is 10000x better
Support! It would make it so much nicer, prioritizes genes and info, and honestly the empty boxes in the Apparel/Skin/Scene/etc. is honestly... really glaring...
Support! It would make it so much nicer, prioritizes genes and info, and honestly the empty boxes in the Apparel/Skin/Scene/etc. is honestly... really glaring...
U4Cs8mx.gif
|| He/She/They | FRT+3 | INFP | Demi x3 | Lore Clan | Eternal Acolight ||
floating_hearts_demiromantic_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz7.giffloating_hearts_demigirl_by_awesomewaffle11-dczoifg.giffloating_hearts_demisexual_by_awesomewaffle11-dczokz2.gif
Can we please move some of the buttons down to the next window and out of the dragon window, and shrink the energy and bond bars a bit? So that there is less clutter around the dragon and it clears up the view?
Can we please move some of the buttons down to the next window and out of the dragon window, and shrink the energy and bond bars a bit? So that there is less clutter around the dragon and it clears up the view?
Ribbon1.pngRibbon2.pngRibbon3.png
@vihuff I think it'd do well to suggest this in this thread! Everyone's coming together to figure out the best layout over there
@vihuff I think it'd do well to suggest this in this thread! Everyone's coming together to figure out the best layout over there
JxXWPTT.png
Coli guide
_ BjzISWz.png
FR Goals
_ 9gI0bgp.png
Art shop
_ Undying-Featherback.png
Lair map
_ Rat-King.png
Pixels
_ 4bPVjcz.png
Site
_ Venomous-Toridae.png
BBCode guide
_ WAYSTONECROPPED.gif
Support on the mock-ups! Having the apparel up by the dragon feels so... strange and unnatural 8'D I'd rather it be back where it was.
Support on the mock-ups! Having the apparel up by the dragon feels so... strange and unnatural 8'D I'd rather it be back where it was.
AScq6qj.png
Animation + More!!! Art Sales
Wishlist || SnowyBlink Adopt Shop
Blep Bean Adopt Shop || Lore-Building Challenge!
Official Ice Subspecies Organizer!
It's AlyxSandre, not Alyxandre!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8