Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13
This would not work at all on fan sites, Discord, breeding cards, etc. so even IF they could add an algorithm it would possibly make dragons take twice as long to load properly, and it'd only block the dragon image for the person from possibly one location. I'm guessing now that there is a request for an ID, which then sends back genes, species, etc. then loads the proper image. Instead of that, it'd have to double check every point of data against what a player checks not to see, and that'd be time consuming.

No support.
This would not work at all on fan sites, Discord, breeding cards, etc. so even IF they could add an algorithm it would possibly make dragons take twice as long to load properly, and it'd only block the dragon image for the person from possibly one location. I'm guessing now that there is a request for an ID, which then sends back genes, species, etc. then loads the proper image. Instead of that, it'd have to double check every point of data against what a player checks not to see, and that'd be time consuming.

No support.
E2amngG.png04n5rQx.png8th6mfc.pngtPW2xgo.pngarOGchX.png
I'm rather neutral on this, but I do agree with those who say it could easily fall into a slippery slope type situation. Where would the line be drawn?
I'm rather neutral on this, but I do agree with those who say it could easily fall into a slippery slope type situation. Where would the line be drawn?
DVcXRyP.png
Yeah, there is also the fact that it does nothing for saved images in the forums and in bios. You still couldn't browse dragon pages freely without caution.

I also question what needing to see the item/skin/dragon/gene and look at it long enough to get the id before being able to censor it would do for protecting folks from getting upset by the thing in question..? I know for things I find visually alarming, I wouldn't want to go back to them to figure out how to get rid of them. (And if you can with no issue, why is it.. A problem)

Perhaps it's just because I'm easily sickly frightened by stupid or everyday things, and used to dealing with those fears by now, but as much as I support a system like this I really do think it's too difficult to implement in a useful way to be worth doing.
Yeah, there is also the fact that it does nothing for saved images in the forums and in bios. You still couldn't browse dragon pages freely without caution.

I also question what needing to see the item/skin/dragon/gene and look at it long enough to get the id before being able to censor it would do for protecting folks from getting upset by the thing in question..? I know for things I find visually alarming, I wouldn't want to go back to them to figure out how to get rid of them. (And if you can with no issue, why is it.. A problem)

Perhaps it's just because I'm easily sickly frightened by stupid or everyday things, and used to dealing with those fears by now, but as much as I support a system like this I really do think it's too difficult to implement in a useful way to be worth doing.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
No support.

I get why people would want this, but I agree with the "where does it stop" mentality.

Ok, so you've censored genes... what about the fams, apparel, and accents that trigger those phobia/sensory issues?

Say you have trypophobia, since that always pops up in these threads, and jag/rose gets censored, great, right? What about the dragons wearing skins with holes and eyes and such in them? What about apparel?

If you just censor genes, that won't get rid of the problem. It might help, but it will still exist in pretty great quantities. If staff did decide to censor apparel/skins/whatever as well, that raises the question...

How is staff going to decide what does and does not trigger people?

Like, where is the line drawn? There are so many phobias/sensory issues and so many variations of each and everyone that exist that staff can't possibly cover them all.

Again, let's bring up trypophobia. Say you opt in to the trypophobia censor and Staff have gone ahead and also censored skins/apparel/items, right? So, you're browsing the skins/accents and you end up missing out on one that would be perfect because it was tagged as trypophobic... but those types of holes aren't what triggers YOUR trypophobia. We bring up that users aren't psychologists and shouldn't be deciding what triggers you are not... but staff also aren't. So, why should they be responsible for deciding what qualifies as potentially triggering to a certain phobia/illness or not?

There's also the matter of saved images making this entire thing completely useless.

Not to mention that they'd have to make an entire new system to do this, and whether or not it's even possible with the game's coding is unknowable to us.
No support.

I get why people would want this, but I agree with the "where does it stop" mentality.

Ok, so you've censored genes... what about the fams, apparel, and accents that trigger those phobia/sensory issues?

Say you have trypophobia, since that always pops up in these threads, and jag/rose gets censored, great, right? What about the dragons wearing skins with holes and eyes and such in them? What about apparel?

If you just censor genes, that won't get rid of the problem. It might help, but it will still exist in pretty great quantities. If staff did decide to censor apparel/skins/whatever as well, that raises the question...

How is staff going to decide what does and does not trigger people?

Like, where is the line drawn? There are so many phobias/sensory issues and so many variations of each and everyone that exist that staff can't possibly cover them all.

Again, let's bring up trypophobia. Say you opt in to the trypophobia censor and Staff have gone ahead and also censored skins/apparel/items, right? So, you're browsing the skins/accents and you end up missing out on one that would be perfect because it was tagged as trypophobic... but those types of holes aren't what triggers YOUR trypophobia. We bring up that users aren't psychologists and shouldn't be deciding what triggers you are not... but staff also aren't. So, why should they be responsible for deciding what qualifies as potentially triggering to a certain phobia/illness or not?

There's also the matter of saved images making this entire thing completely useless.

Not to mention that they'd have to make an entire new system to do this, and whether or not it's even possible with the game's coding is unknowable to us.
tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif
> +3 FR
>She/Her
>Stuck in G1 Hell
In theory there are browser extensions that can change the dragon's appearance and the data to change the image (gene and color data is available as plain text) and how it is generated (Predict Morphology has an export image function whose call can be emulated as already done so in scrying suggestions) is already there, but such extensions are against the game rules because they alter the site's appearance.

However, forcing the player to either violate the game rules or tolerate their own phobias is not inclusive.

If Flight Rising wants to be as inclusive as possible, such an option must be present or exempt from the ban of browser extensions.

For external images and links, a toggleable spoiler function could be implemented.
In theory there are browser extensions that can change the dragon's appearance and the data to change the image (gene and color data is available as plain text) and how it is generated (Predict Morphology has an export image function whose call can be emulated as already done so in scrying suggestions) is already there, but such extensions are against the game rules because they alter the site's appearance.

However, forcing the player to either violate the game rules or tolerate their own phobias is not inclusive.

If Flight Rising wants to be as inclusive as possible, such an option must be present or exempt from the ban of browser extensions.

For external images and links, a toggleable spoiler function could be implemented.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
No support.

The amount of strain this would put on the already often-struggling servers is immense, because, as others have pointed out, the number of image variations that would need to be generated would be exponential due to everyone's custom filters. Extensions are different, as they put the burden on the user-side, not the server side.

Someone earlier in the thread put it well:
There is a difference between a safe space created for a specific group of people, and a space where people gather en masse; it simply isn't isn't a reasonable request. The "Hand Formula" results are totally out of wack!!! (that's some first year law student torts referencing; please clap
...though also the metaphor is solid if you feel like looking it up, lmao.)

That said!
I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance, since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking!
No support.

The amount of strain this would put on the already often-struggling servers is immense, because, as others have pointed out, the number of image variations that would need to be generated would be exponential due to everyone's custom filters. Extensions are different, as they put the burden on the user-side, not the server side.

Someone earlier in the thread put it well:
There is a difference between a safe space created for a specific group of people, and a space where people gather en masse; it simply isn't isn't a reasonable request. The "Hand Formula" results are totally out of wack!!! (that's some first year law student torts referencing; please clap
...though also the metaphor is solid if you feel like looking it up, lmao.)

That said!
I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance, since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking!
pixel art adopt of Snowdrop the veilspun, by Ambulocetus

she/her | FR +2
previously Tuberose
[quote name="alethi" date="2020-06-05 16:20:10" ] [quote name="@TheFreakShow" date="2020-06-05 14:48:15" ] [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-06-02 20:32:36" ] This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility. [/quote] I agree with this statement. If you have a phobia, seek help! :) No support for any censoring [/quote] maybe they are seeking help. are you their therapist? if not, then this is not your place to comment. Maybe people with these phobias just want one safe space where they don't have to confront it. [/quote] [center]I am not therapizing, that comment was uncalled for. I was just recommending seeking professional help, therefore implying that I am not professional help. If there are seeking help, good on them! There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to get help, I have had many mental health issues and they don't get better just by finding a safe space. They get better by getting help. Also I understand the value of a safe space because without having somewhere to decompress the stress just builds, but then, if you know FR triggers you, don't expect to go to it and not be triggered? And as @Contaminate said, this website is quite a "safe space" already for most people. No blood, gore, and a minimal amount of rude people on here from my experience. If you have issues with something ex. I have issues with certain sounds because of my misophonia. I do not ask music producers to not put triggering sounds in, I just move on to another song. Genes are a fundamental part of the game and hiding them would affect gameplay in a negative way for other players. That is not fair.[/center]
alethi wrote on 2020-06-05 16:20:10:
@TheFreakShow wrote on 2020-06-05 14:48:15:
Contaminate wrote on 2020-06-02 20:32:36:
This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias

No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility.
I agree with this statement. If you have a phobia, seek help! :) No support for any censoring
maybe they are seeking help. are you their therapist? if not, then this is not your place to comment. Maybe people with these phobias just want one safe space where they don't have to confront it.
I am not therapizing, that comment was uncalled for. I was just recommending seeking professional help, therefore implying that I am not professional help. If there are seeking help, good on them! There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to get help, I have had many mental health issues and they don't get better just by finding a safe space. They get better by getting help. Also I understand the value of a safe space because without having somewhere to decompress the stress just builds, but then, if you know FR triggers you, don't expect to go to it and not be triggered?
And as @Contaminate said, this website is quite a "safe space" already for most people. No blood, gore, and a minimal amount of rude people on here from my experience. If you have issues with something ex. I have issues with certain sounds because of my misophonia. I do not ask music producers to not put triggering sounds in, I just move on to another song. Genes are a fundamental part of the game and hiding them would affect gameplay in a negative way for other players. That is not fair.
vmVQNPh.gif
[quote]There are so many phobias/sensory issues and so many variations of each and everyone that exist that staff can't possibly cover them all.[/quote] This, I have arachnophobia, but it's really only the ashspine widow and its companion that set it off for me, other spider related items/familiars/apparel, etc don't bother me as much or at all. I'm always in favor of sites who implement features to accommodate their userbase, it's awesome. But we as users should also have a level of reasonableness about it, and asking the staff to put in a little checkmark for everything that exists on site just so we can censor it on an individual level does sound pretty unreasonable to me given the number of items and what have you that exist on site. Had it been something that the staff had included since the very beginning and they'd only have to add the check to new things they implemented it'd be a different story. [quote]I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking![/quote] This I can agree with, I'm always a huge advocate of monitoring your own online experience, and as I said it's certainly great when sites give us tools to aid in that, but again we as users have to be reasonable about it. And the amount of work that the staff would have to put into a censor feature just at this point isn't reasonable anymore
Quote:
There are so many phobias/sensory issues and so many variations of each and everyone that exist that staff can't possibly cover them all.

This, I have arachnophobia, but it's really only the ashspine widow and its companion that set it off for me, other spider related items/familiars/apparel, etc don't bother me as much or at all.

I'm always in favor of sites who implement features to accommodate their userbase, it's awesome. But we as users should also have a level of reasonableness about it, and asking the staff to put in a little checkmark for everything that exists on site just so we can censor it on an individual level does sound pretty unreasonable to me given the number of items and what have you that exist on site. Had it been something that the staff had included since the very beginning and they'd only have to add the check to new things they implemented it'd be a different story.
Quote:
I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking!

This I can agree with, I'm always a huge advocate of monitoring your own online experience, and as I said it's certainly great when sites give us tools to aid in that, but again we as users have to be reasonable about it. And the amount of work that the staff would have to put into a censor feature just at this point isn't reasonable anymore

DVcXRyP.png
[b]HUGE support[/b] This wasn't something I had considered until a close friend of mine mentioned how the recent thundercack carnival carnivale made him physically ill due to the lightning tubes giving the illusion that they're going through the dragon's bodies. The more I thought about it, the more I realized he'd be unable to "safely" go through the site as he'd have no way to control if other users utilized the apparel and could accidentally run into a lair/dragon that has it equipped. So this feature, if added, would absolutely assist him, and other users I've seen, that struggle with phobias that could bring them physical, mental, or emotional harm! While it's currently difficult to figure out how to implement, this idea could be incredibly helpful to those whose phobias are triggered due to a specific pattern. apparel or other features. Clearly, this would be something that could be toggled on or off, to settle the "its gonna ruin the game!! Think about me and [i]my[/i] enjoyment!!!" concerns, so I honestly don't see why it would be seen as a downside? This implementation gives users the ability to use FR responsibly, they shouldn't be ostracized from playing just because accommodations aren't being set in place to protect them from [u]attributes they cannot control.[/u] [quote]I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking![/quote] A fantastic alternative that solves near every problem mentioned regarding triggers, disabilities, and accommodation!! It's ridiculous that extensions that are very clearly developed and used in order to prevent issues like these are banned?? It's almost as though the staff was intentionally implementing rules like these in order to keep out specific groups.
HUGE support

This wasn't something I had considered until a close friend of mine mentioned how the recent thundercack carnival carnivale made him physically ill due to the lightning tubes giving the illusion that they're going through the dragon's bodies.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized he'd be unable to "safely" go through the site as he'd have no way to control if other users utilized the apparel and could accidentally run into a lair/dragon that has it equipped. So this feature, if added, would absolutely assist him, and other users I've seen, that struggle with phobias that could bring them physical, mental, or emotional harm!

While it's currently difficult to figure out how to implement, this idea could be incredibly helpful to those whose phobias are triggered due to a specific pattern. apparel or other features.
Clearly, this would be something that could be toggled on or off, to settle the "its gonna ruin the game!! Think about me and my enjoyment!!!" concerns, so I honestly don't see why it would be seen as a downside?
This implementation gives users the ability to use FR responsibly, they shouldn't be ostracized from playing just because accommodations aren't being set in place to protect them from attributes they cannot control.
Quote:
I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking!

A fantastic alternative that solves near every problem mentioned regarding triggers, disabilities, and accommodation!! It's ridiculous that extensions that are very clearly developed and used in order to prevent issues like these are banned??
It's almost as though the staff was intentionally implementing rules like these in order to keep out specific groups.
komaeda_icon__free_to_use__by_pinkbunnii-d74v520.gif
Furvilla | FR+2 | ToyHou.se
divider__6__by_ladymidnightsolace-da3ygsj.png
[quote]I think a way more reasonable option would be to petition the staff to instead allow extensions that alter the site's appearance since it would put users' comfort in their own hands. It's definitely unfair that those extensions are considered rule-breaking![/quote] This sounds like a good compromise. Unless players automate gameplay, there's no issue with browser extensions altering client-side viewing. I think it's a bit absurd that minor cosmetic changers are somehow bannable.
Quote:
This sounds like a good compromise. Unless players automate gameplay, there's no issue with browser extensions altering client-side viewing. I think it's a bit absurd that minor cosmetic changers are somehow bannable.
sBdLZtA.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13