Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
I agree with Contaminate as well. I don't believe it's healthy and I've had the slipperly slope argument about this in so many discords. Eventually it DOES become too much. One discord censors over half of all FR genes! I'm sorry, but my trauma and phobia management is my responsibility. Putting the burden on the site where tens of thousands of people aren't experiencing what I am is unfair. I believe in safe spaces, but I don't believe spaces where the public meets in vast numbers should be required to or are capable of being safe spaces. No support.
I agree with Contaminate as well. I don't believe it's healthy and I've had the slipperly slope argument about this in so many discords. Eventually it DOES become too much. One discord censors over half of all FR genes! I'm sorry, but my trauma and phobia management is my responsibility. Putting the burden on the site where tens of thousands of people aren't experiencing what I am is unfair. I believe in safe spaces, but I don't believe spaces where the public meets in vast numbers should be required to or are capable of being safe spaces. No support.
[quote name="lugia492" date="2020-06-03 10:13:49" ] I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is [u]my[/u] problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of [i]insert fear here[/i] it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that. Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said: [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-06-02 20:32:36" ] This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility. [/quote] [/quote] I *really* hate the argument that 'if your phobia is so bad you should seek help' because, how do you know that they AREN'T seeking help? Perhaps they want one place where they DON'T have to worry that their phobia or trigger or whatever you want to call it won't suddenly popup. They may just want a relaxing time after therapy or work and not have to worry. It isn't up to you to decide that someone 'needs professional help' when you don't know that person, and when you aren't a trained professional yourself (don't know if specifically you or contaminate are a trained professional or not, but I guarantee that most people who use the 'seek therapy' arguments when things like this come up aren't.) Even if you are a trained professional (again any person that uses this argument) unless you know the person on the other side of the computer, you don't know whether they would be 'better off confronting their fears' or not. As someone else said, the confrontational therapy is meant to be done in a controlled setting, so that a therapist can be there to help the person. It doesn't mean that a person has to confront it in every aspect of their life. This also discounts the people who get physcially ill due to things like migraines, or dizzy from things like hypnotic. No, it isn't up to other people to manage my fears, or anyone's, but as stated earlier, it is in the site's best interest to do this, because players will not only feel better randomly browsing, when now they might not because there is too much chance of running into a gene/eye type/familiar/whatever that upsets them, but also in word of mouth by players who have those issues and will tell others 'this site does have X, but it allows me to block it so I don't have to worry about running into it accidentally/randomly'. It also wouldn't be the first site that has something like this. In fact, many sites, from pet sites to fiction sites have the ability to filter/block things their users don't want to see, because it gets them more page views. I like reading online fiction, and I have skipped stories that don't tell me what they contain, and I have skipped entire sites that don't have a policy of having authors put warnings on their works, or allowing them to put 'author has chosen not to use warnings' because not only does it mean I can find what I want faster, I also don't have to worry about running into something that will absolutely give me nightmares or disgust me. Yet, the sites that DO have those gain page views from me and I am much more likely to say 'hey go to this site, I love it' than I am for a different site. For those who don't like long text blocks: ultimately FR is a game and not a place where therapy should be expected to happen, nor does anyone know whether or not another player is getting therapy unless they know them personally. It would also benefit FR in the long run to have something like this because it would make players feel more comfortable browsing which results in more page views as well as more ad views, and it also results in players who have such issues being more likely to recommend the site to *other* people who have similar issues.
lugia492 wrote on 2020-06-03 10:13:49:
I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is my problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of insert fear here it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said:
Contaminate wrote on 2020-06-02 20:32:36:
This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias

No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility.
I *really* hate the argument that 'if your phobia is so bad you should seek help' because, how do you know that they AREN'T seeking help? Perhaps they want one place where they DON'T have to worry that their phobia or trigger or whatever you want to call it won't suddenly popup. They may just want a relaxing time after therapy or work and not have to worry. It isn't up to you to decide that someone 'needs professional help' when you don't know that person, and when you aren't a trained professional yourself (don't know if specifically you or contaminate are a trained professional or not, but I guarantee that most people who use the 'seek therapy' arguments when things like this come up aren't.) Even if you are a trained professional (again any person that uses this argument) unless you know the person on the other side of the computer, you don't know whether they would be 'better off confronting their fears' or not. As someone else said, the confrontational therapy is meant to be done in a controlled setting, so that a therapist can be there to help the person. It doesn't mean that a person has to confront it in every aspect of their life.

This also discounts the people who get physcially ill due to things like migraines, or dizzy from things like hypnotic.

No, it isn't up to other people to manage my fears, or anyone's, but as stated earlier, it is in the site's best interest to do this, because players will not only feel better randomly browsing, when now they might not because there is too much chance of running into a gene/eye type/familiar/whatever that upsets them, but also in word of mouth by players who have those issues and will tell others 'this site does have X, but it allows me to block it so I don't have to worry about running into it accidentally/randomly'.

It also wouldn't be the first site that has something like this. In fact, many sites, from pet sites to fiction sites have the ability to filter/block things their users don't want to see, because it gets them more page views. I like reading online fiction, and I have skipped stories that don't tell me what they contain, and I have skipped entire sites that don't have a policy of having authors put warnings on their works, or allowing them to put 'author has chosen not to use warnings' because not only does it mean I can find what I want faster, I also don't have to worry about running into something that will absolutely give me nightmares or disgust me. Yet, the sites that DO have those gain page views from me and I am much more likely to say 'hey go to this site, I love it' than I am for a different site.

For those who don't like long text blocks: ultimately FR is a game and not a place where therapy should be expected to happen, nor does anyone know whether or not another player is getting therapy unless they know them personally. It would also benefit FR in the long run to have something like this because it would make players feel more comfortable browsing which results in more page views as well as more ad views, and it also results in players who have such issues being more likely to recommend the site to *other* people who have similar issues.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Aelf" date="2020-06-03 11:06:04" ] I agree with Contaminate as well. I don't believe it's healthy and I've had the slipperly slope argument about this in so many discords. Eventually it DOES become too much. One discord censors over half of all FR genes! I'm sorry, but my trauma and phobia management is my responsibility. Putting the burden on the site where tens of thousands of people aren't experiencing what I am is unfair. I believe in safe spaces, but I don't believe spaces where the public meets in vast numbers should be required to or are capable of being safe spaces. No support. [/quote] The thing is, this wouldn't affect you. Period, unless you used it. It wouldn't cause your genes to be censored, if you didn't want it. This would be a personal tool that would simply allow others to tailor their own experiences. Those tens of thousands of other people are experiencing their own issues, and might benefit from this as well, just not in the same way I do. I have heard people who dislike dogs, and actually have phobias to them. This would allow them to block the dog apparel and the dog familiars. I don't have a phobia to dogs, so I wouldn't block those apparel/familiars and thus would still see them. Someone else blocking those specific items would have no affect on me, just as me blocking specific items would have no affect on them.
Aelf wrote on 2020-06-03 11:06:04:
The thing is, this wouldn't affect you. Period, unless you used it. It wouldn't cause your genes to be censored, if you didn't want it. This would be a personal tool that would simply allow others to tailor their own experiences. Those tens of thousands of other people are experiencing their own issues, and might benefit from this as well, just not in the same way I do. I have heard people who dislike dogs, and actually have phobias to them. This would allow them to block the dog apparel and the dog familiars. I don't have a phobia to dogs, so I wouldn't block those apparel/familiars and thus would still see them. Someone else blocking those specific items would have no affect on me, just as me blocking specific items would have no affect on them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
[quote name="lugia492" date="2020-06-03 10:13:49" ] I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is [u]my[/u] problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of [i]insert fear here[/i] it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that. Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said: [quote name="Contaminate" date="2020-06-02 20:32:36" ] This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility. [/quote] [/quote] This is basically how I feel about it. I have phobias related to certain common familiars, but that's my issue to deal with. It's not the site's duty to cover people in bubblewrap to protect them, that's their own job and theircown prerogative.
lugia492 wrote on 2020-06-03 10:13:49:
I can't support this. I do have a specific phobia myself, but it is my problem to manage, not anyone else's. I do not think that other people should have to workaround MY issues, they are mine to manage and control. I also believe that as some other users have pointed out, it is hard to draw a line on what is censored. I think it is a slippery slope. And let's be honest, perhaps if your phobia is crippling to the point where you break down when you see a drawn version of insert fear here it is unhealthy to the point where you should definitely seek some mental help or thereapy. It's not good, healthy, or brave to live your life like that.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with everything Contaminate has said:
Contaminate wrote on 2020-06-02 20:32:36:
This would set a very poor precedent that would ultimately lead to more avoidance behaviors that have been shown to have detrimental effects on existing phobias

No support for censoring of any genes, breeds, apparel, or accents. These things are already vetted by staff, and anything more than that is each user’s own responsibility.

This is basically how I feel about it.

I have phobias related to certain common familiars, but that's my issue to deal with. It's not the site's duty to cover people in bubblewrap to protect them, that's their own job and theircown prerogative.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
no support.

some questions: would the dragon also be censored when it's posted to forums? how can you be sure to censor a dragon if it's posted as an image, like from imgur instead?

also, the way i outfit or gene my dragons shows my own creativity and having a part of it be censored is making the dragon no longer as creative as i would have intended it to be. also, if this becomes a thing, you can really argue for like everything to be censored because there are people who are going to find different things uncomfortable. and sometimes, that adds up to everything.

edit: i see that jemadar has added a response to my post but my stance does not change, still no support.
no support.

some questions: would the dragon also be censored when it's posted to forums? how can you be sure to censor a dragon if it's posted as an image, like from imgur instead?

also, the way i outfit or gene my dragons shows my own creativity and having a part of it be censored is making the dragon no longer as creative as i would have intended it to be. also, if this becomes a thing, you can really argue for like everything to be censored because there are people who are going to find different things uncomfortable. and sometimes, that adds up to everything.

edit: i see that jemadar has added a response to my post but my stance does not change, still no support.
DmRdZYl.png
[quote name="benetton" date="2020-06-03 12:38:35" ] no support. some questions: would the dragon also be censored when it's posted to forums? how can you be sure to censor a dragon if it's posted as an image, like from imgur instead? also, the way i outfit or gene my dragons shows my own creativity and having a part of it be censored is making the dragon no longer as creative as i would have intended it to be. also, if this becomes a thing, you can really argue for like everything to be censored because there are people who are going to find different things uncomfortable. and sometimes, that adds up to everything. [/quote] Things like images from other sites wouldn't be censored, but that is something that players will have to deal with going on forums. However, if it comes from the site itself, then it most likely would be, which is another way to 'get around' blocks for things like outfits you created. However, I would argue that your creativity doesn't trump my comfort, especially when my comfort won't affect you because unless I say something, you won't know that I am not seeing the full outfit. Also, the way this suggestion is set up, it wouldn't matter, if someone wants to block everything, then they can, because it would simply be blocking images. This isn't blocking them from the site itself, this is allowing each individual player to determine what they feel comfortable with. Again, if player A dislikes dogs and blocks them, it will only affect them. If player b loves dogs and hates cats and blocks cats, then they will never know that player A blocked dogs, just as Player A won't know that player B blocked cats, unless either player says something. So, you won't know that I might have something censored, just as I wouldn't know about anything you have censored, unless you post about it, or I do.
benetton wrote on 2020-06-03 12:38:35:
no support.

Things like images from other sites wouldn't be censored, but that is something that players will have to deal with going on forums. However, if it comes from the site itself, then it most likely would be, which is another way to 'get around' blocks for things like outfits you created.

However, I would argue that your creativity doesn't trump my comfort, especially when my comfort won't affect you because unless I say something, you won't know that I am not seeing the full outfit.

Also, the way this suggestion is set up, it wouldn't matter, if someone wants to block everything, then they can, because it would simply be blocking images.

This isn't blocking them from the site itself, this is allowing each individual player to determine what they feel comfortable with. Again, if player A dislikes dogs and blocks them, it will only affect them. If player b loves dogs and hates cats and blocks cats, then they will never know that player A blocked dogs, just as Player A won't know that player B blocked cats, unless either player says something.

So, you won't know that I might have something censored, just as I wouldn't know about anything you have censored, unless you post about it, or I do.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
support! it would be really nice for people who have phobias or triggers. their safety is important.
support! it would be really nice for people who have phobias or triggers. their safety is important.
tumblr_inline_pafumapXAW1r16a5d_540.png tumblr_paeahswwr21r45983o8_100.png
I support this but only to a degree.

How I think this should work if it was implemented is in the account settings there could be a button where you click and then it shows every gene and then next to that there could be a button that says enable trigger warning or disable trigger warning

If you were to enable it, then every dragon with said gene would have a little message (like the fairgrounds) saying that the image might make the viewer uncomfortable then a proceed button if you would like to see the dragon or not.

This most likely wont be implemented however.

I support this but only to a degree.

How I think this should work if it was implemented is in the account settings there could be a button where you click and then it shows every gene and then next to that there could be a button that says enable trigger warning or disable trigger warning

If you were to enable it, then every dragon with said gene would have a little message (like the fairgrounds) saying that the image might make the viewer uncomfortable then a proceed button if you would like to see the dragon or not.

This most likely wont be implemented however.

https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/3084436#post_3084436 Get yourself some free dragons before they go in goop mom’s goo
... I don't know how this would work? I don't know how the dragon is generated. If you have a scrying workshop image, then each gene has a component part and I guess it would be "easy" there to replace whatever problem gene with basic when it displays. Similarly, dressing room dragons are a bunch of images laid over each other.

But dragon images on their pages and posted in forums aren't that way... It seems like there would have to be a lot of rewriting for just one feature.
... I don't know how this would work? I don't know how the dragon is generated. If you have a scrying workshop image, then each gene has a component part and I guess it would be "easy" there to replace whatever problem gene with basic when it displays. Similarly, dressing room dragons are a bunch of images laid over each other.

But dragon images on their pages and posted in forums aren't that way... It seems like there would have to be a lot of rewriting for just one feature.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
This wouldn’t affect me but it could be useful for others, so as long as it’s compatible with the site and staff think it’s manageable to implement I don’t see any problems. Lioden and furvilla have a censor feature so it seems pretty do-able
This wouldn’t affect me but it could be useful for others, so as long as it’s compatible with the site and staff think it’s manageable to implement I don’t see any problems. Lioden and furvilla have a censor feature so it seems pretty do-able
BhWDcLm.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13