Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Censoring genes
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Now, before you get your pitchforks, hear me out.
I'm asking for a personal censor, not a website wide one.

Why?
Certain genes (like Keel) triggers an unfortunate visual phobia I have, and it's disheartening to look at every time I come across it.
I feel that visual phobias are common enough, that this would be beneficial to the community. This could also prevent issues with future genes that may trigger them.

How would this work?
Gene censoring would show up as an option in your account that replaces a selected gene type(s) with Basic, visually. Meaning that in the gene still exists in the dragon and its description, but for you, it shows up as a basic gene. This dragon would still display its genes normally for anyone without a censor on.
A red bolding of the gene name, or indicator of some kind could show up every time you're viewing a censored dragon so you don't accidentally buy something with the wrong gene type.
This option should obviously be reversible if you ever change your mind.

----
I've been sitting on this idea for a while, and didn't think anyone had my problems till I came across this phobia thread. But seeing that visual phobias aren't uncommon I decided to finally leave this here. Hopefully the back end programming won't be too intense for the devs to consider this.

Thanks for reading!

Now, before you get your pitchforks, hear me out.
I'm asking for a personal censor, not a website wide one.

Why?
Certain genes (like Keel) triggers an unfortunate visual phobia I have, and it's disheartening to look at every time I come across it.
I feel that visual phobias are common enough, that this would be beneficial to the community. This could also prevent issues with future genes that may trigger them.

How would this work?
Gene censoring would show up as an option in your account that replaces a selected gene type(s) with Basic, visually. Meaning that in the gene still exists in the dragon and its description, but for you, it shows up as a basic gene. This dragon would still display its genes normally for anyone without a censor on.
A red bolding of the gene name, or indicator of some kind could show up every time you're viewing a censored dragon so you don't accidentally buy something with the wrong gene type.
This option should obviously be reversible if you ever change your mind.

----
I've been sitting on this idea for a while, and didn't think anyone had my problems till I came across this phobia thread. But seeing that visual phobias aren't uncommon I decided to finally leave this here. Hopefully the back end programming won't be too intense for the devs to consider this.

Thanks for reading!

JdIZ7xK.pngQhJITRJ.gif
its a good idea but Im really sorry, I don't support this.

The dragons will not appear as the owners intended, or can lead to things such as a user placing clouded or something on the list, and then buying a "basic" dragon, only to have it be that gene, cuz they relied on visual indicators for the genes, and didn't check or simply forgot to.*

I have a very strong case of arachnophobia, due to some events happening in early childhood,

I am horrified of spiders and they make me psychically sick to look at.

The ashspine widows freak me out just like real spiders do, artist did a good job xOx and my hands get clammy and my heart beats a little hard, because its scary.
So i can understand being uncomfortable by somethings here.

However: it is my own Phobia, and while others might share this phobia with me, it is still my personal struggle to manage and it should not be placed on the staffs shoulders to help me cope and manage my feelings and fears.
its a good idea but Im really sorry, I don't support this.

The dragons will not appear as the owners intended, or can lead to things such as a user placing clouded or something on the list, and then buying a "basic" dragon, only to have it be that gene, cuz they relied on visual indicators for the genes, and didn't check or simply forgot to.*

I have a very strong case of arachnophobia, due to some events happening in early childhood,

I am horrified of spiders and they make me psychically sick to look at.

The ashspine widows freak me out just like real spiders do, artist did a good job xOx and my hands get clammy and my heart beats a little hard, because its scary.
So i can understand being uncomfortable by somethings here.

However: it is my own Phobia, and while others might share this phobia with me, it is still my personal struggle to manage and it should not be placed on the staffs shoulders to help me cope and manage my feelings and fears.
A dragon dressed up as bubbles and fish that has a Bio full of lesser known tips and tricks to Flight Rising
I support. I know a lot of people have problems with jaguar, rosette, and hypnotic. Not to mention certain primal eyes.

Letting players choose if they see these as basic or as-is? Support. Of course, everyone else on the site sees them normally (unless they opted in too).

If it comes to the AH and a player seeing keel as basic--well, it's up to that player to be aware enough of his/her settings and to check the description since that person chose to turn the visual indicator off.
I support. I know a lot of people have problems with jaguar, rosette, and hypnotic. Not to mention certain primal eyes.

Letting players choose if they see these as basic or as-is? Support. Of course, everyone else on the site sees them normally (unless they opted in too).

If it comes to the AH and a player seeing keel as basic--well, it's up to that player to be aware enough of his/her settings and to check the description since that person chose to turn the visual indicator off.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I support this suggestion. Reasons:
  • Personal wellbeing trumps owner's intentions, especially if pageviews aren't predictable. Especially if this option only affects one's own view, not the owner's.
  • You can exclude genes from the AH results by selecting all others or narrowing down 'okay' genes. Hence you cannot accidentially buy a dragon with genes you do not intend to have. Unless for fodder, it's already a bad idea to have a broad choice for genes.
I support this suggestion. Reasons:
  • Personal wellbeing trumps owner's intentions, especially if pageviews aren't predictable. Especially if this option only affects one's own view, not the owner's.
  • You can exclude genes from the AH results by selecting all others or narrowing down 'okay' genes. Hence you cannot accidentially buy a dragon with genes you do not intend to have. Unless for fodder, it's already a bad idea to have a broad choice for genes.
In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
@Kapow Hey, thanks for contributing!~ <3 For the first part of your concern I address it in this part: [quote]A red bolding of the gene name, or indicator of some kind could show up every time you're viewing a censored dragon so you don't accidentally buy something with the wrong gene type.[/quote] It's the same idea as Morphology dragon symbol or Dressing room symbol. Just a bit more tame. It's only an idea of course, I have full confidence in their UX designers :3 As for this part: [quote]it is my own Phobia, and while others might share this phobia with me, it is still my personal struggle to manage and it should not be placed on the staffs shoulders to help me cope and manage my feelings and fears.[/quote] Flight Rising at the end of a day is a website looking to attract reoccurring users. Their main revenue is refreshing ads on the website. This means that the more a user goes into someone else's lair and browse around, the more profit they would turn to fund their company. I believe it is in their best interest to prevent users from seeing discomforting things, which in the end discourages them from returning, or to explore further. But of course, they could also say that the investment is not worth it, since this is more of a minority issue. >.<
@Kapow
Hey, thanks for contributing!~ <3

For the first part of your concern I address it in this part:
Quote:
It's the same idea as Morphology dragon symbol or Dressing room symbol. Just a bit more tame. It's only an idea of course, I have full confidence in their UX designers :3

As for this part:
Quote:
it is my own Phobia, and while others might share this phobia with me, it is still my personal struggle to manage and it should not be placed on the staffs shoulders to help me cope and manage my feelings and fears.
Flight Rising at the end of a day is a website looking to attract reoccurring users. Their main revenue is refreshing ads on the website. This means that the more a user goes into someone else's lair and browse around, the more profit they would turn to fund their company. I believe it is in their best interest to prevent users from seeing discomforting things, which in the end discourages them from returning, or to explore further.

But of course, they could also say that the investment is not worth it, since this is more of a minority issue. >.<
JdIZ7xK.pngQhJITRJ.gif
I don’t care too much one way or the other, but where do you stop? Yes, genes seem to be the most common thing people have problems with, but what else is there? Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel. Should we have an option to censor breeds? How about apparel and skins? We’ve got bones, translucent bodies, damaged wings, etc out there. Then there are Coliseum enemies. Rats, bugs, spiders.

My point being: what should be censorable and what not? Should it be determined by the number of people that want a certain element censorable, and those that are put off by less commonly triggering things just have to deal with it? Or should everything be censorable to anyone can play?
I don’t care too much one way or the other, but where do you stop? Yes, genes seem to be the most common thing people have problems with, but what else is there? Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel. Should we have an option to censor breeds? How about apparel and skins? We’ve got bones, translucent bodies, damaged wings, etc out there. Then there are Coliseum enemies. Rats, bugs, spiders.

My point being: what should be censorable and what not? Should it be determined by the number of people that want a certain element censorable, and those that are put off by less commonly triggering things just have to deal with it? Or should everything be censorable to anyone can play?
@DethJackal Hello~ and good question! Well I believe that's up to the devs. If people are voicing issues, it's up to them to decide whether or not addressing it and keeping that portion of the user base happy is a worthwhile investment. :3
@DethJackal Hello~ and good question! Well I believe that's up to the devs. If people are voicing issues, it's up to them to decide whether or not addressing it and keeping that portion of the user base happy is a worthwhile investment. :3
JdIZ7xK.pngQhJITRJ.gif
[quote name="DethJackal" date="2020-06-02 16:10:00" ] Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel. [/quote] LOL. I do know someone who is really bothered by the multiple eyes of mirrors and refuse to look at them when possible. However while I do kind of support this, but 'where do we stop' is still a real and valid question. How much should FR team accommodate the differences between players, and when should they stop? Before a clear line can be cut, I feel how to protect oneself is up to each individuals. And yes, it's up to the dev. But once someone got their wishes, there will be others to push for their wishes, and before everyone knows there will be people asking for censorship on mirror breed, or one certain accent, or on a handful of familiars, or on food items, an apparel set... etc. All valid I'm sure, but how can a game site have enough resources to accommodate them all? But if dev censors say the genes, breed and familiars but not accents or food items, then why or why not? It's a very hard decision for them to make without adding more problems.
DethJackal wrote on 2020-06-02 16:10:00:
Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel.
LOL. I do know someone who is really bothered by the multiple eyes of mirrors and refuse to look at them when possible.

However while I do kind of support this, but 'where do we stop' is still a real and valid question. How much should FR team accommodate the differences between players, and when should they stop? Before a clear line can be cut, I feel how to protect oneself is up to each individuals.

And yes, it's up to the dev. But once someone got their wishes, there will be others to push for their wishes, and before everyone knows there will be people asking for censorship on mirror breed, or one certain accent, or on a handful of familiars, or on food items, an apparel set... etc. All valid I'm sure, but how can a game site have enough resources to accommodate them all? But if dev censors say the genes, breed and familiars but not accents or food items, then why or why not? It's a very hard decision for them to make without adding more problems.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
[quote name="hat17" date="2020-06-02 16:30:08" ] [quote name="DethJackal" date="2020-06-02 16:10:00" ] Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel. [/quote] LOL. I do know someone who is really bothered by the multiple eyes of mirrors and refuse to look at them when possible. However while I do kind of support this, but 'where do we stop' is still a real and valid question. How much should FR team accommodate the differences between players, and when should they stop? Before a clear line can be cut, I feel how to protect oneself is up to each individuals. And yes, it's up to the dev. But once someone got their wishes, there will be others to push for their wishes, and before everyone knows there will be people asking for censorship on mirror breed, or one certain accent, or on a handful of familiars, or on food items, an apparel set... etc. All valid I'm sure, but how can a game site have enough resources to accommodate them all? But if dev censors say the genes, breed and familiars but not accents or food items, then why or why not? It's a very hard decision for them to make without adding more problems. [/quote] I feel that the issue with mirrors multiple eyes could be handled in one or two ways. Either it is A. Just ignored as being something potentially too difficult to censor (because the other dragons would have to be censored as well for people who might have issues with the ridgebacks spikeyness or tundras fluffiness) or B. Allow people to censor entire dragons, but the dragon image is replaced by the old swiftwing, no genes, no colors, just a generic image. Ultimately, it is up to each player to determine their level of comfort and how they want their browsing impacted. Do they want to potentially run across a gene (or skin) or familiar or breed that makes them uncomfortable, or do they censor the images and potentially see a lot of 'placeholder' images instead of the variety of things FR has to offer.
hat17 wrote on 2020-06-02 16:30:08:
Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel.
LOL. I do know someone who is really bothered by the multiple eyes of mirrors and refuse to look at them when possible.

However while I do kind of support this, but 'where do we stop' is still a real and valid question. How much should FR team accommodate the differences between players, and when should they stop? Before a clear line can be cut, I feel how to protect oneself is up to each individuals.

And yes, it's up to the dev. But once someone got their wishes, there will be others to push for their wishes, and before everyone knows there will be people asking for censorship on mirror breed, or one certain accent, or on a handful of familiars, or on food items, an apparel set... etc. All valid I'm sure, but how can a game site have enough resources to accommodate them all? But if dev censors say the genes, breed and familiars but not accents or food items, then why or why not? It's a very hard decision for them to make without adding more problems.
I feel that the issue with mirrors multiple eyes could be handled in one or two ways.

Either it is A. Just ignored as being something potentially too difficult to censor (because the other dragons would have to be censored as well for people who might have issues with the ridgebacks spikeyness or tundras fluffiness)

or

B. Allow people to censor entire dragons, but the dragon image is replaced by the old swiftwing, no genes, no colors, just a generic image.

Ultimately, it is up to each player to determine their level of comfort and how they want their browsing impacted. Do they want to potentially run across a gene (or skin) or familiar or breed that makes them uncomfortable, or do they censor the images and potentially see a lot of 'placeholder' images instead of the variety of things FR has to offer.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote name="Jemadar" date="2020-06-02 19:10:33" ] [quote name="hat17" date="2020-06-02 16:30:08" ] [quote name="DethJackal" date="2020-06-02 16:10:00" ] Maybe someone is really bothered a by the Mirror breed’s multiple eyes - mirrors are much more common than keel. [/quote] LOL. I do know someone who is really bothered by the multiple eyes of mirrors and refuse to look at them when possible. However while I do kind of support this, but 'where do we stop' is still a real and valid question. How much should FR team accommodate the differences between players, and when should they stop? Before a clear line can be cut, I feel how to protect oneself is up to each individuals. And yes, it's up to the dev. But once someone got their wishes, there will be others to push for their wishes, and before everyone knows there will be people asking for censorship on mirror breed, or one certain accent, or on a handful of familiars, or on food items, an apparel set... etc. All valid I'm sure, but how can a game site have enough resources to accommodate them all? But if dev censors say the genes, breed and familiars but not accents or food items, then why or why not? It's a very hard decision for them to make without adding more problems. [/quote] I feel that the issue with mirrors multiple eyes could be handled in one or two ways. Either it is A. Just ignored as being something potentially too difficult to censor (because the other dragons would have to be censored as well for people who might have issues with the ridgebacks spikeyness or tundras fluffiness) or B. Allow people to censor entire dragons, but the dragon image is replaced by the old swiftwing, no genes, no colors, just a generic image. Ultimately, it is up to each player to determine their level of comfort and how they want their browsing impacted. Do they want to potentially run across a gene (or skin) or familiar or breed that makes them uncomfortable, or do they censor the images and potentially see a lot of 'placeholder' images instead of the variety of things FR has to offer. [/quote] The problem with option B is HOW the site go about doing censorship and how to make it versatile. The hardest part of your suggestion would be how dev is going to implement it. Maybe they can make gene/breed selectable for censorship and let each individual click what they don't want to see. But the same would be much much harder to apply for items and accents. The only way I can think of that would work is to group items/accents into groups, so each players can choose which 'group' of items/accents they want to censor. Because I truly cannot see how making each item/accent selectable can work.
Jemadar wrote on 2020-06-02 19:10:33:
hat17 wrote on 2020-06-02 16:30:08:

I feel that the issue with mirrors multiple eyes could be handled in one or two ways.

Either it is A. Just ignored as being something potentially too difficult to censor (because the other dragons would have to be censored as well for people who might have issues with the ridgebacks spikeyness or tundras fluffiness)

or

B. Allow people to censor entire dragons, but the dragon image is replaced by the old swiftwing, no genes, no colors, just a generic image.

Ultimately, it is up to each player to determine their level of comfort and how they want their browsing impacted. Do they want to potentially run across a gene (or skin) or familiar or breed that makes them uncomfortable, or do they censor the images and potentially see a lot of 'placeholder' images instead of the variety of things FR has to offer.
The problem with option B is HOW the site go about doing censorship and how to make it versatile. The hardest part of your suggestion would be how dev is going to implement it. Maybe they can make gene/breed selectable for censorship and let each individual click what they don't want to see. But the same would be much much harder to apply for items and accents. The only way I can think of that would work is to group items/accents into groups, so each players can choose which 'group' of items/accents they want to censor. Because I truly cannot see how making each item/accent selectable can work.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13