Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Search in Users Online
1 2
I don't know if this has been suggested before but I feel like we should be able to search for users in the Users Online list. It would give it more of a function (Really why would a common player need to use it?) And you could see if your friends are online. Since the list already exists there could be an indicator next to user profiles/forum profiles that will show if the user is online, idle, or offline. This sounds not of much use but imagine you have to send someone money and you don't know if the user is online yet, you don't want to wait a day for your CR to be accepted but you could forget that you put it in a CR and use the money or items accidentally. This could stop people from having these crises. A simple feature but a useful one.
I don't know if this has been suggested before but I feel like we should be able to search for users in the Users Online list. It would give it more of a function (Really why would a common player need to use it?) And you could see if your friends are online. Since the list already exists there could be an indicator next to user profiles/forum profiles that will show if the user is online, idle, or offline. This sounds not of much use but imagine you have to send someone money and you don't know if the user is online yet, you don't want to wait a day for your CR to be accepted but you could forget that you put it in a CR and use the money or items accidentally. This could stop people from having these crises. A simple feature but a useful one.
kXpNHpy.pngliXoQQI.pnglTl0CrC.pngWRPJKhj.png
I think it would be better to just fix the way items are handled by CRs. Not all players want it to be publicly known when they're online. The list does exist, but it's 99% useless for stalking because it's so large and so random.
I think it would be better to just fix the way items are handled by CRs. Not all players want it to be publicly known when they're online. The list does exist, but it's 99% useless for stalking because it's so large and so random.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
True, but I don't think there are stalkers on here? And it does need a purpose. Maybe you could just search by flight?
True, but I don't think there are stalkers on here? And it does need a purpose. Maybe you could just search by flight?
kXpNHpy.pngliXoQQI.pnglTl0CrC.pngWRPJKhj.png
I don't mean stalkers in the "show up at your door" sense but rather in the "I can see you're online, why are you ignoring me" sense. Sometimes in social spaces on the internet, people feel entitled to other people's attention simply because they're online, and I'm actually really happy that FR doesn't allow for that by default, unless the person is like actively talking on the forums.
I don't mean stalkers in the "show up at your door" sense but rather in the "I can see you're online, why are you ignoring me" sense. Sometimes in social spaces on the internet, people feel entitled to other people's attention simply because they're online, and I'm actually really happy that FR doesn't allow for that by default, unless the person is like actively talking on the forums.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
I think there's a reason why this feature (or any online/idle/offline icons aside from the Online Users list) hasn't been implemented yet. There isn't much of a practical use for it, in my opinion. I would say the Crossroads example could be fixed by having the money/items (not dragons) removed from your account if they're entered into a trade. Although, having a CR up for a day isn't really that big of a deal; personally I've had CRs that were pending for several weeks because of how some artists handled payments.

FR is a huge site with tons of players that there's bound to be some impatient people that may stalk your online status and wonder why you're not actively interacting with them if they've sent a message/friend request/etc.

The list also does have a purpose: aside from plainly saying who is online, it's a pretty good indication of when you should avoid the site. When it spikes to 4-5k users online on that first day of NotN, you already know the site is going to lag like crazy!

My thoughts may have gotten a bit jumbled there, so: I don't pledge support for this, as the current system is fine.
I think there's a reason why this feature (or any online/idle/offline icons aside from the Online Users list) hasn't been implemented yet. There isn't much of a practical use for it, in my opinion. I would say the Crossroads example could be fixed by having the money/items (not dragons) removed from your account if they're entered into a trade. Although, having a CR up for a day isn't really that big of a deal; personally I've had CRs that were pending for several weeks because of how some artists handled payments.

FR is a huge site with tons of players that there's bound to be some impatient people that may stalk your online status and wonder why you're not actively interacting with them if they've sent a message/friend request/etc.

The list also does have a purpose: aside from plainly saying who is online, it's a pretty good indication of when you should avoid the site. When it spikes to 4-5k users online on that first day of NotN, you already know the site is going to lag like crazy!

My thoughts may have gotten a bit jumbled there, so: I don't pledge support for this, as the current system is fine.
fo11Vhp.png
No support, they should just fix CRs in my opinion. I would rather have my privacy and not have people see when I'm online, especially since I tend to leave the site open in a browser window while doing something else and not actively checking. People can already be pushy enough without features like this (the amount of times people ping me hours later after sending a CR to alert me they sent the CR... while I was asleep.) and unfortunately I think this may just make that worse. The only way I can support it is to have it be an opt-in system so people who would rather be more private still have that option.

Also, there are legitimate stalkers on FR, unfortunately. I've had a FR user track my IP address via their publicly linked tumblr blog and try to use that info. I wouldn't want someone like that tracking me on FR too. As a FR Discord server mod I've also seen actual stalking situations come up. It's not pretty and really makes me wish VPNs didn't tank my speed.
No support, they should just fix CRs in my opinion. I would rather have my privacy and not have people see when I'm online, especially since I tend to leave the site open in a browser window while doing something else and not actively checking. People can already be pushy enough without features like this (the amount of times people ping me hours later after sending a CR to alert me they sent the CR... while I was asleep.) and unfortunately I think this may just make that worse. The only way I can support it is to have it be an opt-in system so people who would rather be more private still have that option.

Also, there are legitimate stalkers on FR, unfortunately. I've had a FR user track my IP address via their publicly linked tumblr blog and try to use that info. I wouldn't want someone like that tracking me on FR too. As a FR Discord server mod I've also seen actual stalking situations come up. It's not pretty and really makes me wish VPNs didn't tank my speed.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
To be honest, I don't know the purpose of that user online list at all. I understand the counter part, but not the actual list. You can't effectively search who's online from there, and it's not really a true indication of whether someone's active anyway. I can be active now and shows up on that list but immediately go afk and not be back hours later.

I agree strongly that CR needs some tweaks. If it works like AH or PM that the item is removed from your hoard when added is way better than trying to guess if the trade partner is online or not, and try to remember not move your items around or use the fund in the meanwhile.
To be honest, I don't know the purpose of that user online list at all. I understand the counter part, but not the actual list. You can't effectively search who's online from there, and it's not really a true indication of whether someone's active anyway. I can be active now and shows up on that list but immediately go afk and not be back hours later.

I agree strongly that CR needs some tweaks. If it works like AH or PM that the item is removed from your hoard when added is way better than trying to guess if the trade partner is online or not, and try to remember not move your items around or use the fund in the meanwhile.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Like the others, I would vastly prefer CRs be fixed, and leave privacy invading tools away from the site. To be honest, it really isn't anyone's business whether I am online or not, when I was last online, or how long I was online.

I can understand the issue with transactions and such, but not everyone treats FR as if it is their job. Some players only get on every once in a while, because they have other jobs besides play a game. Some players can only ge tonline for a couple of minutes at certain points during the day, while others can be online all day. Having CRs up for hours/days/even weeks isn't that unusual when you take into account that FR has a global audience, and many in that audience have things to do besides play it. (jobs, classes, etc..) This isn't even taking into account the other reasons someone might go offline and not get back on for a while (internet outages, job that requires leaving home, illness etc..)

I also don't agree that the online users list needs a function. I see it more as 'idle curiosity'. I also wouldn't really care if they took away the online users list and just showed a number.

I strongly do not want online indicators, even with toggles, because I have, unfortunately, seen too many entitled users (off site) complain about people 'ignoring' them by feeding dragons or doing other visible stuff around the site. I do not think we really need to add fuel to that fire by adding a 'last online' or an indicator that the user is online now (especially since it wouldn't really be accurate. I log in in the morning, checking out all my sites, planning to do dailies. Because I logged in, FR says 'you are online'. HOwever, another site has an event or something going on. I get interested in that event, and before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I still haven't done FR dailies, yet my browser has been logged in all that time, I might even have idely clicked on the tab and refreshed (I have actually done that, been looking for a specific tab to refresh and click the wrong tab and refresh it), realized my mistake and found the right tab. AGain, logged in, online indicator says I am online, and active, but I am not. I might go another three hours before I remember 'hey I haven't done FR dailies yet!'). I personally wish that other sites would do away with such indicators rather than FR add them.
Like the others, I would vastly prefer CRs be fixed, and leave privacy invading tools away from the site. To be honest, it really isn't anyone's business whether I am online or not, when I was last online, or how long I was online.

I can understand the issue with transactions and such, but not everyone treats FR as if it is their job. Some players only get on every once in a while, because they have other jobs besides play a game. Some players can only ge tonline for a couple of minutes at certain points during the day, while others can be online all day. Having CRs up for hours/days/even weeks isn't that unusual when you take into account that FR has a global audience, and many in that audience have things to do besides play it. (jobs, classes, etc..) This isn't even taking into account the other reasons someone might go offline and not get back on for a while (internet outages, job that requires leaving home, illness etc..)

I also don't agree that the online users list needs a function. I see it more as 'idle curiosity'. I also wouldn't really care if they took away the online users list and just showed a number.

I strongly do not want online indicators, even with toggles, because I have, unfortunately, seen too many entitled users (off site) complain about people 'ignoring' them by feeding dragons or doing other visible stuff around the site. I do not think we really need to add fuel to that fire by adding a 'last online' or an indicator that the user is online now (especially since it wouldn't really be accurate. I log in in the morning, checking out all my sites, planning to do dailies. Because I logged in, FR says 'you are online'. HOwever, another site has an event or something going on. I get interested in that event, and before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I still haven't done FR dailies, yet my browser has been logged in all that time, I might even have idely clicked on the tab and refreshed (I have actually done that, been looking for a specific tab to refresh and click the wrong tab and refresh it), realized my mistake and found the right tab. AGain, logged in, online indicator says I am online, and active, but I am not. I might go another three hours before I remember 'hey I haven't done FR dailies yet!'). I personally wish that other sites would do away with such indicators rather than FR add them.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
No support, like other had said, just fix the CRs instead. Even in the example you made, I can see how it could go terribly wrong. For example, if a user sees another is online but hasn’t accepted a CR, they may badger them until they accept it. The same could be applied to unanswered pings. Overall I don’t like the idea, it feels like an invasion of privacy and would open a whole can of problems for the site.
No support, like other had said, just fix the CRs instead. Even in the example you made, I can see how it could go terribly wrong. For example, if a user sees another is online but hasn’t accepted a CR, they may badger them until they accept it. The same could be applied to unanswered pings. Overall I don’t like the idea, it feels like an invasion of privacy and would open a whole can of problems for the site.
ehh, i feel like this would be potentially stalkerish so i'll have to give this no support.
ehh, i feel like this would be potentially stalkerish so i'll have to give this no support.
CUnQdgy.png
1 2