Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Raise fest skin amount
1 2 3 4 5 6
[center][quote name="Corviknight" date="2020-03-26 11:51:28" ] People: We need more treasure sinks When the idea of more treasure skins is introduced People: NO, NOT LIKE THAT. [/quote] [img]https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/twitter/236/eyes_1f440.png[/img] In my opinion, I don't think having only a week is as bad as people can make it out to be. If you're able to max out on the fairgrounds for at least five days, you'll have enough for a whole Marketplace set. I'm unsure whether I support this suggestion yet, but I will admit that it's tiring to see certain breeds/sexes ignored fairly often.
Corviknight wrote on 2020-03-26 11:51:28:
People: We need more treasure sinks

When the idea of more treasure skins is introduced

People: NO, NOT LIKE THAT.

eyes_1f440.png

In my opinion, I don't think having only a week is as bad as people can make it out to be. If you're able to max out on the fairgrounds for at least five days, you'll have enough for a whole Marketplace set.
I'm unsure whether I support this suggestion yet, but I will admit that it's tiring to see certain breeds/sexes ignored fairly often.
I'd personally like to see a few more skins. It's not like that number hasn't grown before - remember, fests started out with only 6 skins! The number of breeds is increasing fast now that we have ancients, and... I really don't get the argument of 'but people would need to spend more every fest.'

More treasure sinks is a good thing - g:t is almost at 1:1100 now! - and the thing is... nobody needs to get a full set of skins? I do, sure, and it's not because I want to use all or even most of them, but that completionism's on me. It's not something the site owes me and it's not something I have to do.

If we were that opposed to adding more treasure skins, you could add a Swipp skin and a direct Coli skin to make 16, or just more Baldwins... but the current system of even MP-chest distribution works just fine to me.
I'd personally like to see a few more skins. It's not like that number hasn't grown before - remember, fests started out with only 6 skins! The number of breeds is increasing fast now that we have ancients, and... I really don't get the argument of 'but people would need to spend more every fest.'

More treasure sinks is a good thing - g:t is almost at 1:1100 now! - and the thing is... nobody needs to get a full set of skins? I do, sure, and it's not because I want to use all or even most of them, but that completionism's on me. It's not something the site owes me and it's not something I have to do.

If we were that opposed to adding more treasure skins, you could add a Swipp skin and a direct Coli skin to make 16, or just more Baldwins... but the current system of even MP-chest distribution works just fine to me.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
[quote name="Jessyta" date="2020-03-26 15:06:57" ] Not everyone on FR is a completionist though.... Sure, adding more skins may make some people that can't afford them all decide not to get any (I actually think that isn't very likely, but it is possible) but it could also mean players like myself buy more as I only buys skins for certain breeds and never bother buying skins for breeds I dislike. [/quote] The issue with this is that there is no guarantee that your favorite breeds will get more skins, it may be more for breeds you dislike. More skins doesn't mean more people buying, especially if they continue to ignore the best skins, for whatever reason, and keep giving two or more skins for the same pose. sure, one or two festivals may have one or two more skins that you will buy, but that still leaves 9 festivals that have more skins overall, but you are still buying the same number of skins you were with the reduced number. Again the issue with more festival skins is I don't believe they WOULD make a good treasure sink, not in the long run, because players would burn out much faster, even if they aren't completionists. Remember we have 11 festivals a year, and even now players are getting burnt out over them. Adding more of the same to them will just make that burn out faster. Better treasure sinks are ones that are available year round that players not only want to utilize, but that are always there, so players aren't forced to utilize them. On Neopets, they have these events, think they are the charity corner, where you are meant to throw neopoints at something for charity. I never bother to participate, because it feels to pressured, and I would never come even close to obtaining the stuff I want. Same thing for 'time limited treasure sinks' on other sites. However, I am quite willing to toss money at things like wheels, or MP to get things I want. Those are far more effective treasure sinks, because there is no pressure to obtain them. I also think that people are overlooking that the original suggestion wasn't just add a couple more skins, but to constantly keep adding skins in order to keep up with the number of breeds, which I feel is unsustainable in the long run, especially with 11 festivals a year coming around. Again, a couple more skins, especially added to baldwins or even swipp, wouldn't be bad, but I don't think that trying to keep up with breeds, nor do I think continually adding to the number of skins, to infinity, would work. I think it would be counter intuitive, because players would quickly burn out. I think there does need to be a hard cap of how many skins are added to festivals (my personal would be 20, with any above the 12 MP/coli skins being in baldwin or swipp, or adventure mode when it comes out, if it is feasible) to KEEP the skins being effective treasure sinks. Eventually, even maxing the fairgrounds everyday wouldn't earn you enough money to buy a full set of MP skins. According to my meager calculations, at 20 skins per festival, maxing the fairgrounds every day for 7 days wouldn't earn you enough to buy a full set (you would get 17 and have some change left over, and this is at the discounted price), so right there, at 20, the site is now cutting into savings from non-festival weeks should players decide on a full set) No, no one *needs* to buy a full set, but many players do like it, or like to get multiple copies of their favorites, and that playstyle shouldn't be just brushed aside because other players don't play that way. It shouldn't be the only reason for suggestions to be brushed aside either. However, since many of the issues I have seen mentioned as reasons for wanting more skins either won't necessarily be solved (just because there are more skin slots doesn't mean that there will be more/different breeds picked, nor that the 'best' skins from the thread will be picked), or can be solved in a much more effective way (needing more treasure sinks and more ancient skins). So to me, beyond a certain number, there really is no need to constantly up the number of skins chosen per festival. Even the issue of there are so many good artists whose work isn't chosen for the festivals won't be necessarily fixed and can be fixed by simply having more contests where the number of skins needed isn't fixed, so if they get 10 good skins ,that is how many winners. If they get 20, guess what, we have 20 winners, but if they only get 5? yep, only five people won. Those skins would then go into various places, such as the MP, coliseum, baldwin, swipp and whatever new mechanics come out that give out items/skins. Again, the statement that 'more treasure sinks is a good thing' isn't true. a true statement is 'more EFFECTIVE treasure sinks is a good thing' because if players stop utilizing the treasure sink, it is no longer an effective one. I think that would eventually happen with skins for the festivals. Soon only the hardcore players would buy, because others would simply be burned out.
Jessyta wrote on 2020-03-26 15:06:57:
Not everyone on FR is a completionist though.... Sure, adding more skins may make some people that can't afford them all decide not to get any (I actually think that isn't very likely, but it is possible) but it could also mean players like myself buy more as I only buys skins for certain breeds and never bother buying skins for breeds I dislike.

The issue with this is that there is no guarantee that your favorite breeds will get more skins, it may be more for breeds you dislike. More skins doesn't mean more people buying, especially if they continue to ignore the best skins, for whatever reason, and keep giving two or more skins for the same pose. sure, one or two festivals may have one or two more skins that you will buy, but that still leaves 9 festivals that have more skins overall, but you are still buying the same number of skins you were with the reduced number.

Again the issue with more festival skins is I don't believe they WOULD make a good treasure sink, not in the long run, because players would burn out much faster, even if they aren't completionists. Remember we have 11 festivals a year, and even now players are getting burnt out over them. Adding more of the same to them will just make that burn out faster.

Better treasure sinks are ones that are available year round that players not only want to utilize, but that are always there, so players aren't forced to utilize them.

On Neopets, they have these events, think they are the charity corner, where you are meant to throw neopoints at something for charity. I never bother to participate, because it feels to pressured, and I would never come even close to obtaining the stuff I want. Same thing for 'time limited treasure sinks' on other sites.

However, I am quite willing to toss money at things like wheels, or MP to get things I want. Those are far more effective treasure sinks, because there is no pressure to obtain them.

I also think that people are overlooking that the original suggestion wasn't just add a couple more skins, but to constantly keep adding skins in order to keep up with the number of breeds, which I feel is unsustainable in the long run, especially with 11 festivals a year coming around.

Again, a couple more skins, especially added to baldwins or even swipp, wouldn't be bad, but I don't think that trying to keep up with breeds, nor do I think continually adding to the number of skins, to infinity, would work. I think it would be counter intuitive, because players would quickly burn out. I think there does need to be a hard cap of how many skins are added to festivals (my personal would be 20, with any above the 12 MP/coli skins being in baldwin or swipp, or adventure mode when it comes out, if it is feasible) to KEEP the skins being effective treasure sinks.

Eventually, even maxing the fairgrounds everyday wouldn't earn you enough money to buy a full set of MP skins. According to my meager calculations, at 20 skins per festival, maxing the fairgrounds every day for 7 days wouldn't earn you enough to buy a full set (you would get 17 and have some change left over, and this is at the discounted price), so right there, at 20, the site is now cutting into savings from non-festival weeks should players decide on a full set)

No, no one *needs* to buy a full set, but many players do like it, or like to get multiple copies of their favorites, and that playstyle shouldn't be just brushed aside because other players don't play that way. It shouldn't be the only reason for suggestions to be brushed aside either. However, since many of the issues I have seen mentioned as reasons for wanting more skins either won't necessarily be solved (just because there are more skin slots doesn't mean that there will be more/different breeds picked, nor that the 'best' skins from the thread will be picked), or can be solved in a much more effective way (needing more treasure sinks and more ancient skins).

So to me, beyond a certain number, there really is no need to constantly up the number of skins chosen per festival. Even the issue of there are so many good artists whose work isn't chosen for the festivals won't be necessarily fixed and can be fixed by simply having more contests where the number of skins needed isn't fixed, so if they get 10 good skins ,that is how many winners. If they get 20, guess what, we have 20 winners, but if they only get 5? yep, only five people won.

Those skins would then go into various places, such as the MP, coliseum, baldwin, swipp and whatever new mechanics come out that give out items/skins.

Again, the statement that 'more treasure sinks is a good thing' isn't true. a true statement is 'more EFFECTIVE treasure sinks is a good thing' because if players stop utilizing the treasure sink, it is no longer an effective one. I think that would eventually happen with skins for the festivals. Soon only the hardcore players would buy, because others would simply be burned out.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I support this to a degree, this may just be my own avarice but with more breeds showing up I think it is reasonable to add a few more skin submissions over time.

Another alternative would be for anniversary or NotN or something we have a release of one runner up skin for each breed and gender from past years. That way each breed and gender get a chance to have one extra skin. Especially for breeds and the genders that aren't favored by the majority
I support this to a degree, this may just be my own avarice but with more breeds showing up I think it is reasonable to add a few more skin submissions over time.

Another alternative would be for anniversary or NotN or something we have a release of one runner up skin for each breed and gender from past years. That way each breed and gender get a chance to have one extra skin. Especially for breeds and the genders that aren't favored by the majority
0f1mBJP.png
I agree, if they're going to keep adding new breeds (especially ancients, since those get cranked out faster) we should get a higher number of skin winners, so that all breeds have a greater chance of getting featured (and people like me who don't like ancients don't have to be dodging the ancient skins all the time :P).

People usually don't buy all the skins anyways, they only buy the ones they want to use or the ones that are popular enough to be a good investment. And with Joxar's Box, the skins don't really retire anyways so it's always possible to get them after the festival!

Edit: I also agree with the people saying this could potentially be a good treasure sink. The gods know we need more of those, look at the t:g ratio...
I agree, if they're going to keep adding new breeds (especially ancients, since those get cranked out faster) we should get a higher number of skin winners, so that all breeds have a greater chance of getting featured (and people like me who don't like ancients don't have to be dodging the ancient skins all the time :P).

People usually don't buy all the skins anyways, they only buy the ones they want to use or the ones that are popular enough to be a good investment. And with Joxar's Box, the skins don't really retire anyways so it's always possible to get them after the festival!

Edit: I also agree with the people saying this could potentially be a good treasure sink. The gods know we need more of those, look at the t:g ratio...
jCVhFoZ.gif
Yeah, I would definitely like to see the amount of skins per fest raised a little, although I don't think it needs to be 1:1 with the amount of breeds necessarily. It isn't as if they try and fit one of every breed in each month anyway, I regularly see 2 of a single pose in one month even
Yeah, I would definitely like to see the amount of skins per fest raised a little, although I don't think it needs to be 1:1 with the amount of breeds necessarily. It isn't as if they try and fit one of every breed in each month anyway, I regularly see 2 of a single pose in one month even
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
I support this
I support this
wvSVVWk.png P3Z4dxR.png 8DuZL3H.png
I'd like to see it raised. At least, I have no quarrel with it.

Maybe make more than 2 of them Baldwin skins, if treasure amount is a concern. That said, making treasure is pretty easy
Grind coli. Flip marketplace/fodder. Sell Baldwin mats/brews. Breed and sell fodder. Treasure isn't hard to get your hands on.

The staff have to go through the entire entry thread, anyways. Picking a few more they've already looked at wouldn't be much harder.

Matching the amount of breeds could be untenable after awhile, depending on how many breeds become available, but for now, 16-20 festival skins isn't a bad idea.
I'd like to see it raised. At least, I have no quarrel with it.

Maybe make more than 2 of them Baldwin skins, if treasure amount is a concern. That said, making treasure is pretty easy
Grind coli. Flip marketplace/fodder. Sell Baldwin mats/brews. Breed and sell fodder. Treasure isn't hard to get your hands on.

The staff have to go through the entire entry thread, anyways. Picking a few more they've already looked at wouldn't be much harder.

Matching the amount of breeds could be untenable after awhile, depending on how many breeds become available, but for now, 16-20 festival skins isn't a bad idea.
I feel like the number of skins is OK-ish for a fest - not too big, not too small. But I don't like that (idk how to put it) there are seemingly mandatory skin slots to fill. It seems like each fest must have an imp skin, a wildclaw skin and a skydancer skin. I think that greater variety in chosen skins would create more or less the same results as the increased number.
I feel like the number of skins is OK-ish for a fest - not too big, not too small. But I don't like that (idk how to put it) there are seemingly mandatory skin slots to fill. It seems like each fest must have an imp skin, a wildclaw skin and a skydancer skin. I think that greater variety in chosen skins would create more or less the same results as the increased number.
JQQ3Fjt.png
I don't see the big deal. I like the art and effort put into fest skins, mostly because they're far more affordable than UMAs - if they add more skin slots to fest, that's just more beautiful, affordable skins for everyone. Artists get rewarded for winning the skin contest, players get pretty skins. Win win.

Support. Don't ping or quote me, please.
I don't see the big deal. I like the art and effort put into fest skins, mostly because they're far more affordable than UMAs - if they add more skin slots to fest, that's just more beautiful, affordable skins for everyone. Artists get rewarded for winning the skin contest, players get pretty skins. Win win.

Support. Don't ping or quote me, please.
HpBICfc.gif
» about me
» commissions
1 2 3 4 5 6