Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gene variants
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30
[center]Just tossing out another possible variant example. [img]https://i.imgur.com/VdsVRGs.png[/img] Filigree WITHOUT the stones. I'd use the heck out of this on dragons where the stone color clashes or doesn't work but the main color does. ----- And here's Runes two ways (marks only on the limbs/only on the body) and Thylacine without the gradients (love that one!) [img]https://i.imgur.com/8hGylFe.png[/img]
Just tossing out another possible variant example.

VdsVRGs.png
Filigree WITHOUT the stones. I'd use the heck out of this on dragons where the stone color clashes or doesn't work but the main color does.
And here's Runes two ways (marks only on the limbs/only on the body) and Thylacine without the gradients (love that one!)
8hGylFe.png
I had missed this thread before somehow, but I'm gonna throw my full support behind this. Tweaking genes we already have into varients would probably be a lot less work overall for the artists then making fully new genes, especially if the original gene files are broken up into layers still. Assuming thats true, Id bet something like the filigree example above me could be done as easily as deleting the stone layer and renaming the file. Same for the runes, just erase the unwanted part, and rename file. Oh gods, the more I think about this the more I want it lol.

Another varient idea if it hasnt already been mentioned, shiny/gemstone veined using accent colors. So rather then a flat color like it seems to be atm, it could gain the look of veins of actully ore running along the dragon.
I had missed this thread before somehow, but I'm gonna throw my full support behind this. Tweaking genes we already have into varients would probably be a lot less work overall for the artists then making fully new genes, especially if the original gene files are broken up into layers still. Assuming thats true, Id bet something like the filigree example above me could be done as easily as deleting the stone layer and renaming the file. Same for the runes, just erase the unwanted part, and rename file. Oh gods, the more I think about this the more I want it lol.

Another varient idea if it hasnt already been mentioned, shiny/gemstone veined using accent colors. So rather then a flat color like it seems to be atm, it could gain the look of veins of actully ore running along the dragon.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
On breeding possibilities, I'm going to throw my support behind number 1, since its probably the easiest to code.

On changing the varient of the gene, do you think itd be better to need to buy an entire new gene scroll for it, or should there be an item to change the varient? I was thinking for an item it could be called "Scroll of Varience: primary" for example, with different scrolls for the secondary and tert. Make them a low level but relatively high cost baldwin brew, maybe around 100k treasure at level 2 or 3? With relatively easy to get mats as well. The idea being to act as a treasure sink people would be willing to sink their money into, and make it not so easy to profit off of on the AH. Let me know your thoughts.

On more gene variation, fade/blend that fades from accent colors on the extremities(snout, limbs, tail, and wingtips) to the main color on the main body. (Could probably easily be done by taking tapir/striation, removing the stripes layer, and then renaming the file.) Another dual varient on both main fade/blend and the varient I mentioned, using secondary accent colors instead of the current ones used. So robin for instance, could have both white and black versions of the original gene and varient version, which should be a fairly easy color change.
On breeding possibilities, I'm going to throw my support behind number 1, since its probably the easiest to code.

On changing the varient of the gene, do you think itd be better to need to buy an entire new gene scroll for it, or should there be an item to change the varient? I was thinking for an item it could be called "Scroll of Varience: primary" for example, with different scrolls for the secondary and tert. Make them a low level but relatively high cost baldwin brew, maybe around 100k treasure at level 2 or 3? With relatively easy to get mats as well. The idea being to act as a treasure sink people would be willing to sink their money into, and make it not so easy to profit off of on the AH. Let me know your thoughts.

On more gene variation, fade/blend that fades from accent colors on the extremities(snout, limbs, tail, and wingtips) to the main color on the main body. (Could probably easily be done by taking tapir/striation, removing the stripes layer, and then renaming the file.) Another dual varient on both main fade/blend and the varient I mentioned, using secondary accent colors instead of the current ones used. So robin for instance, could have both white and black versions of the original gene and varient version, which should be a fairly easy color change.
#UnnamedIsValid
Unnamed dragons need love too! There is no shame in having unnamed permas, having dragons with unnamed parents and/or offspring, or exalting unnamed dragons! Leaving dragons unnamed is a perfectly valid playstyle!

she/her or they/them
Literally my most desired variation has just been showcased by PersimmonBird a few posts up, I have always been lamenting that there's no 'paw colour' tertiary gene, aka Runes But Just The Pretty Paw Parts, because that's my favourite part of runes (and in many cases the body part of runes is the reason I don't go for it on a dragon...) and I would love to be able to give a dragon different coloured paws from the rest of them, it would be so lovely.....

On top of that, the stone colours in filigree are again often a reason I decide against using that gene at all. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there's only one dragon in my whole lair and den that is even planned to have that gene for exactly that reason.
I would, however, as with the runes variation, use filigree without the stones very much!!!!!!!!!!!
Literally my most desired variation has just been showcased by PersimmonBird a few posts up, I have always been lamenting that there's no 'paw colour' tertiary gene, aka Runes But Just The Pretty Paw Parts, because that's my favourite part of runes (and in many cases the body part of runes is the reason I don't go for it on a dragon...) and I would love to be able to give a dragon different coloured paws from the rest of them, it would be so lovely.....

On top of that, the stone colours in filigree are again often a reason I decide against using that gene at all. And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there's only one dragon in my whole lair and den that is even planned to have that gene for exactly that reason.
I would, however, as with the runes variation, use filigree without the stones very much!!!!!!!!!!!
tpG8plN.gif 20f0d7fd40667f35723eea7f24de9c519f7b2cca.png 9tl1qHF.gif
Full support! I love this idea a lot. It doesn’t seem like much work to do and opens up better looking possibilities for genes (like gradient-less Thylacine). Plus I’d have a blast breeding them :p
Full support! I love this idea a lot. It doesn’t seem like much work to do and opens up better looking possibilities for genes (like gradient-less Thylacine). Plus I’d have a blast breeding them :p
tj85yjR.png BVq8q9P.png nGvTyg3.png
This would be amazing, so I have to say Support!
We could have peacock wihtout the shoulder bit, alternate accents for pin/trail (could take from poi/tox, nox or skink/spin), capsule but the liquid looks like slime/sludge, etc!
This would be amazing, so I have to say Support!
We could have peacock wihtout the shoulder bit, alternate accents for pin/trail (could take from poi/tox, nox or skink/spin), capsule but the liquid looks like slime/sludge, etc!
xxx the octopus the myth the legend dj octavio fandragon xx "GYAH HA HA! Not if I crash your big finish!"
credit to cephalonheadquarters on tumblr credit to cephalonheadquarters on tumblr
KLTxh3r.pngv2PJF9u.pngeswSnrS.png
bX96R21.png6meUms1.png
splatoon fandragons!!
e
e
I like this idea. As someone commented earlier in the thread, there should be an option to "lock" a variant for breeding. and when it isn't locked there will be some randomness to the hatchlings
I like this idea. As someone commented earlier in the thread, there should be an option to "lock" a variant for breeding. and when it isn't locked there will be some randomness to the hatchlings
PLAGUEBRINGER_sig.png
For the most part, I lack the skills to modify pri/sec genes well enough to illustrate any possibilities, but here's a quick and lousy version of a Tiger variant I'd love to see. High contrast tiger stripes over a gradient. This one is using Fade -which isn't ideal (gradient runs the wrong way) but gives an idea. It actually needs a lighter belly too but I forgot that bit. Carrot Fade with a darker tiger stripes overlay [img]https://i.imgur.com/iaToa7y.png[/img] Regular Carrot Tiger [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=133&bodygene=2&breed=10&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=0&winggene=23&wings=2&auth=8b61d1cb5b264bcecf47ce2fbda2a67bd3c4d9f5&dummyext=prev.png[/img] One of the things that [i]kills[/i] me is how bland Tiger is. Tigers are gorgeous animals, their coats are beautiful and striking and yet on FR they are represented by [i]incredibly[/i] flat genes. On a normal tiger beneath the stripes there's some subtle shading down to the white belly. The main color isn't flat and solid over the entire body, and the stripes aren't a just a slightly darker version of the body color. Now, there's nothing wrong with the genes we have, many people love them. But it kills me that as things are, we're unlikely to see a more faithful tiger gene, because we already [i]have[/i] one. But a variant could give staff another bite at the apple without taking the original version from those who like it. They could even do another really accent heavy variant that gives Tiger/Stipes the kind of wacky color range that genes like Poi/Tox can show, where the gradient is the usual toned down accent colors and the stripes are a really contrast-y one.
For the most part, I lack the skills to modify pri/sec genes well enough to illustrate any possibilities, but here's a quick and lousy version of a Tiger variant I'd love to see. High contrast tiger stripes over a gradient. This one is using Fade -which isn't ideal (gradient runs the wrong way) but gives an idea. It actually needs a lighter belly too but I forgot that bit.
Carrot Fade with a darker tiger stripes overlay
iaToa7y.png

Regular Carrot Tiger
dragon?age=1&body=133&bodygene=2&breed=10&element=1&eyetype=0&gender=0&tert=30&tertgene=0&winggene=23&wings=2&auth=8b61d1cb5b264bcecf47ce2fbda2a67bd3c4d9f5&dummyext=prev.png

One of the things that kills me is how bland Tiger is. Tigers are gorgeous animals, their coats are beautiful and striking and yet on FR they are represented by incredibly flat genes.

On a normal tiger beneath the stripes there's some subtle shading down to the white belly. The main color isn't flat and solid over the entire body, and the stripes aren't a just a slightly darker version of the body color.

Now, there's nothing wrong with the genes we have, many people love them.
But it kills me that as things are, we're unlikely to see a more faithful tiger gene, because we already have one. But a variant could give staff another bite at the apple without taking the original version from those who like it.

They could even do another really accent heavy variant that gives Tiger/Stipes the kind of wacky color range that genes like Poi/Tox can show, where the gradient is the usual toned down accent colors and the stripes are a really contrast-y one.
[quote name="PersimmonBird" date="2020-03-11 17:12:32" ] [center]Just tossing out another possible variant example. [img]https://i.imgur.com/VdsVRGs.png[/img] Filigree WITHOUT the stones. I'd use the heck out of this on dragons where the stone color clashes or doesn't work but the main color does. ----- And here's Runes two ways (marks only on the limbs/only on the body) and Thylacine without the gradients (love that one!) [img]https://i.imgur.com/8hGylFe.png[/img] [/quote] Don't know if you did filigree without the face mask, but I would LOVE that one. Runes without the feet? Sign me up! I LOVED!!!! the idea of runes, and then I saw the feet that looked like they were dipped in ink or paint. It almost completely ruins the entire gene for me. Also, even with the darker belly, I love your variant of Tiger. I could even see a 'gradient background' with the 'primary color stripes' type deal. While, yeah, real world tigers do have the gradient running towards their bellies, I also don't really see anything wrong with having the gradient run from nose to tail, or as fade does. I still strongly support this, as there are so many genes that are almost perfect, if only. This would give more variation in the gene pool and for players to use, but hopefully wouldn't add a huge amount of work to the staff, because the original art is already done, and to my understanding, the color wheel expansion happened because they have a new way of doing genes, so they just have to plug in what color goes where, and it automatically fills it in for the genes. Even removing/breaking up parts of the genes, shouldn't be a huge task, because again, the original art is already there, and it would be just a case of isolating what needs to be removed or put into its own 'variant'. I think the hardest part would be the initial set up and coding, and deciding how to handle variants. This has been talked about a bit before, but how would you apply them, would you have ot buy a regular gene scroll and can then pick your variants? would you be able to buy a cheaper scroll and choose a variant of the existing genes and so on. How would breeding be handled. Would you be able to get any variant from breeding, or would you be locked to only the variant you have on the parent dragons, etc...
Quote:
Just tossing out another possible variant example.

VdsVRGs.png
Filigree WITHOUT the stones. I'd use the heck out of this on dragons where the stone color clashes or doesn't work but the main color does.
And here's Runes two ways (marks only on the limbs/only on the body) and Thylacine without the gradients (love that one!)
8hGylFe.png
Don't know if you did filigree without the face mask, but I would LOVE that one.

Runes without the feet? Sign me up! I LOVED!!!! the idea of runes, and then I saw the feet that looked like they were dipped in ink or paint. It almost completely ruins the entire gene for me.

Also, even with the darker belly, I love your variant of Tiger.

I could even see a 'gradient background' with the 'primary color stripes' type deal.

While, yeah, real world tigers do have the gradient running towards their bellies, I also don't really see anything wrong with having the gradient run from nose to tail, or as fade does.

I still strongly support this, as there are so many genes that are almost perfect, if only. This would give more variation in the gene pool and for players to use, but hopefully wouldn't add a huge amount of work to the staff, because the original art is already done, and to my understanding, the color wheel expansion happened because they have a new way of doing genes, so they just have to plug in what color goes where, and it automatically fills it in for the genes.

Even removing/breaking up parts of the genes, shouldn't be a huge task, because again, the original art is already there, and it would be just a case of isolating what needs to be removed or put into its own 'variant'.

I think the hardest part would be the initial set up and coding, and deciding how to handle variants.

This has been talked about a bit before, but how would you apply them, would you have ot buy a regular gene scroll and can then pick your variants? would you be able to buy a cheaper scroll and choose a variant of the existing genes and so on. How would breeding be handled. Would you be able to get any variant from breeding, or would you be locked to only the variant you have on the parent dragons, etc...

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar I'm glad you liked the examples! Making them up I realized I actually like both split versions of Runes better than the whole gene. I can see each working for different cases where full Runes is just too much. I did have a filigree version without the face mask based on one of my dragons -since that's the bit I dislike on most breeds. This is a second, the first was star/con and I thought the busyness of the other genes might make it less helpful as an example. [img]https://i.imgur.com/76eAHzB.png[/img] I'd love to have this as an option too. Especially with permababies, I really dislike the face mask on filigree. And jyst for fun here's the first tiger variant I did, this one is Dust (I think?) Fade with the same color Tiger stripes, which gives much more subtle patterns. [img]https://i.imgur.com/BsdgfvP.png[/img]
@Jemadar

I'm glad you liked the examples! Making them up I realized I actually like both split versions of Runes better than the whole gene. I can see each working for different cases where full Runes is just too much.

I did have a filigree version without the face mask based on one of my dragons -since that's the bit I dislike on most breeds. This is a second, the first was star/con and I thought the busyness of the other genes might make it less helpful as an example.
76eAHzB.png
I'd love to have this as an option too. Especially with permababies, I really dislike the face mask on filigree.

And jyst for fun here's the first tiger variant I did, this one is Dust (I think?) Fade with the same color Tiger stripes, which gives much more subtle patterns.
BsdgfvP.png

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 30