Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Post Tips
1 2 3
So this is something that's been done on other forum/game websites (Gaia Online) and I think it's something to think about here!

Basically on Gaia you can 'tip' someone's post on the forums, and you lose like... 100 gold, and the author receives 100 gold.

Why would it be useful?

Well first it'd be a good way to just tip someone if you like what they said! Getting a gift, even if it's tiny, is nice!

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, it's a small and quiet way to say "I appreciate this" or "I saw this" without actually having to post that. Either because you're shy, or because you're playing a forum game and can't respond without messing up the game, or just because it's quick and you don't feel like typing out a whole post to give em a thumbs up.

I occasionally post in games like "Pick the Prettiest Dragon Above You" type games, and someone will review one of my dragons, and almost every time I want to respond and say thanks ! But I feel like I'd be a bother if I told them thanks on their profile page, if that was all I wanted to say. And I just find myself thinking "Man I wish Flight Rising had the tip post option like on Gaia"

I'm not sure how much a tipped post would be. 100 treasure isn't much but, I think it'd be good. Or maybe 250t?

Or maybe have the ability to set an amount you want to tip? Or maybe make it universal so it's quick and easy. I don't know! I just know I want Something like this so I can stop feeling bad I didn't respond to someone in the forums.
So this is something that's been done on other forum/game websites (Gaia Online) and I think it's something to think about here!

Basically on Gaia you can 'tip' someone's post on the forums, and you lose like... 100 gold, and the author receives 100 gold.

Why would it be useful?

Well first it'd be a good way to just tip someone if you like what they said! Getting a gift, even if it's tiny, is nice!

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, it's a small and quiet way to say "I appreciate this" or "I saw this" without actually having to post that. Either because you're shy, or because you're playing a forum game and can't respond without messing up the game, or just because it's quick and you don't feel like typing out a whole post to give em a thumbs up.

I occasionally post in games like "Pick the Prettiest Dragon Above You" type games, and someone will review one of my dragons, and almost every time I want to respond and say thanks ! But I feel like I'd be a bother if I told them thanks on their profile page, if that was all I wanted to say. And I just find myself thinking "Man I wish Flight Rising had the tip post option like on Gaia"

I'm not sure how much a tipped post would be. 100 treasure isn't much but, I think it'd be good. Or maybe 250t?

Or maybe have the ability to set an amount you want to tip? Or maybe make it universal so it's quick and easy. I don't know! I just know I want Something like this so I can stop feeling bad I didn't respond to someone in the forums.
aaaaaaa 2iRFIjf.png
IpfqSZl.png
C6uVV3r.png rcPCtfe.png
qZrjH79.png
No. We can already do that: pms and CRs. Why duplicate functionality?

This also came up again recently.
No. We can already do that: pms and CRs. Why duplicate functionality?

This also came up again recently.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Nightwind

But we can't already do this.

Gaia also has ways of gifting money and items too! But they also have this. It's faster, easier, and does a much better job for getting something Quick and Easy Across.

It's completely different than pm's and cr's. I'm not going to randomly send someone a CR they have to then go and accept for 100 whole treasure. It takes time to set that up, and time to accept. This would be way more automatic, and you could do it with a click of a button.

Also I like you you tried to gotcha my post saying it's been done recently. Didn't know 5 years ago was recent LOL
@Nightwind

But we can't already do this.

Gaia also has ways of gifting money and items too! But they also have this. It's faster, easier, and does a much better job for getting something Quick and Easy Across.

It's completely different than pm's and cr's. I'm not going to randomly send someone a CR they have to then go and accept for 100 whole treasure. It takes time to set that up, and time to accept. This would be way more automatic, and you could do it with a click of a button.

Also I like you you tried to gotcha my post saying it's been done recently. Didn't know 5 years ago was recent LOL
aaaaaaa 2iRFIjf.png
IpfqSZl.png
C6uVV3r.png rcPCtfe.png
qZrjH79.png
That post is old, yes, but it was brought up recently:

http://www1.flightrising.com/search/forums?term=tip&poster=&topicid=&forum=sug&when=0&sort=recent

Since there is no no-necro rule anymore, it's best to check the more recent posts, especially when someone has linked it to you saying it was recently discussed.

Personally, my objections:
  • Has the very real potential of turning the forums into more of a social media type of experience like Reddit, with people trying to get people to tip them, whether it be by begging, making exaggerated posts, spamming, etc. We already have enough spam in FRD as it is, we don't need to encourage them. More posts = more chance at getting tips.
  • Something that Jemadar said in the other thread; particularly in the suggestions forum, where there are already users tallying the number of supports in a rather misguided attempt to push their suggestions into development, it's another way for users to claim that their suggestion should be implemented. Even if a suggestion is popular doesn't mean it's a good idea for the game; a lot of popular suggestions are game breaking or would add a ton of server strain.
  • I honestly don't see why it's necessary. I'm struggling with the idea that a small amount - minuscule, really - of money is somehow more rewarding, but maybe that's just me. Given that I think tipping ought to be completely anonymous to prevent things like "tip me the most to get a prize" or something, it seems very impersonal.
That post is old, yes, but it was brought up recently:

http://www1.flightrising.com/search/forums?term=tip&poster=&topicid=&forum=sug&when=0&sort=recent

Since there is no no-necro rule anymore, it's best to check the more recent posts, especially when someone has linked it to you saying it was recently discussed.

Personally, my objections:
  • Has the very real potential of turning the forums into more of a social media type of experience like Reddit, with people trying to get people to tip them, whether it be by begging, making exaggerated posts, spamming, etc. We already have enough spam in FRD as it is, we don't need to encourage them. More posts = more chance at getting tips.
  • Something that Jemadar said in the other thread; particularly in the suggestions forum, where there are already users tallying the number of supports in a rather misguided attempt to push their suggestions into development, it's another way for users to claim that their suggestion should be implemented. Even if a suggestion is popular doesn't mean it's a good idea for the game; a lot of popular suggestions are game breaking or would add a ton of server strain.
  • I honestly don't see why it's necessary. I'm struggling with the idea that a small amount - minuscule, really - of money is somehow more rewarding, but maybe that's just me. Given that I think tipping ought to be completely anonymous to prevent things like "tip me the most to get a prize" or something, it seems very impersonal.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
@RockportSlayer

I'm not sure what was meant by the "gotcha?" Your idea is old (Gaia is older than FR) and the thread I linked to is also old...bringing it up now is just the same as when the thread I linked to was brought up on September 18, 2019 and was most recently commented on September 23, 2019.

Again, the functionality is the same (stuff goes from one account to the other). Speeding up this process is interesting but it also creates and expectation that posting = treasure. I do not want to go down that path. It's lined with spam posts (reportable), begging (also reportable), and post inflation (also reportable). Right now people do that anyway without any hope of currency. Is this something we want to incentivise?
@RockportSlayer

I'm not sure what was meant by the "gotcha?" Your idea is old (Gaia is older than FR) and the thread I linked to is also old...bringing it up now is just the same as when the thread I linked to was brought up on September 18, 2019 and was most recently commented on September 23, 2019.

Again, the functionality is the same (stuff goes from one account to the other). Speeding up this process is interesting but it also creates and expectation that posting = treasure. I do not want to go down that path. It's lined with spam posts (reportable), begging (also reportable), and post inflation (also reportable). Right now people do that anyway without any hope of currency. Is this something we want to incentivise?

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Nightwind

But it's not the same functionality. And FR has plenty of repetitive features. It doesn't make them Bad.

PM's exist so why should CR's

CR's exist so why should Private Auctions

It's almost as if... Pm's, CR's, and PA's all serve a slightly different function for the site, each valued for their respective features.

And a tip post button would be the same. It's a completely different feature.

And it's been on Gaia for years and that's never been the case in regards to "expecting money," it's just a small feature. and it's not like someone's going to make bank off of one or two people tipping a post 100 treasure each.

If people want to beg they're going to beg anyways, and I don't particularly see people begging hard for... 100 treasure each. I've dealt with beggers. They usually ask for 10kt or so. 100 coins wouldn't be worth their time. It'd be too slow.

And honestly I doubt people would post any much more than what they already do with this became a feature. Maybe it would right when it was introduced. But I think after people realize 100 coins is kind of... nothing. It'd go back to normal very quickly.
@Nightwind

But it's not the same functionality. And FR has plenty of repetitive features. It doesn't make them Bad.

PM's exist so why should CR's

CR's exist so why should Private Auctions

It's almost as if... Pm's, CR's, and PA's all serve a slightly different function for the site, each valued for their respective features.

And a tip post button would be the same. It's a completely different feature.

And it's been on Gaia for years and that's never been the case in regards to "expecting money," it's just a small feature. and it's not like someone's going to make bank off of one or two people tipping a post 100 treasure each.

If people want to beg they're going to beg anyways, and I don't particularly see people begging hard for... 100 treasure each. I've dealt with beggers. They usually ask for 10kt or so. 100 coins wouldn't be worth their time. It'd be too slow.

And honestly I doubt people would post any much more than what they already do with this became a feature. Maybe it would right when it was introduced. But I think after people realize 100 coins is kind of... nothing. It'd go back to normal very quickly.
aaaaaaa 2iRFIjf.png
IpfqSZl.png
C6uVV3r.png rcPCtfe.png
qZrjH79.png
@SeaCrest

I listed three valid reasons why this could be useful for shy people, not wanting to clog forum posts with thank you's, and to give nods to people without much effort.

Just because it might not be something you'd be interested in doesn't mean there isn't merit for other's.

Like I'm not a shy person, but I've been told on Gaia where this is a feature that shy people like it because they don't have to actively Say Something to someone if they just wanna say thanks, etc.

People have different perspectives, and just because you might not understand it shouldn't keep you from being able to see why other's might.
@SeaCrest

I listed three valid reasons why this could be useful for shy people, not wanting to clog forum posts with thank you's, and to give nods to people without much effort.

Just because it might not be something you'd be interested in doesn't mean there isn't merit for other's.

Like I'm not a shy person, but I've been told on Gaia where this is a feature that shy people like it because they don't have to actively Say Something to someone if they just wanna say thanks, etc.

People have different perspectives, and just because you might not understand it shouldn't keep you from being able to see why other's might.
aaaaaaa 2iRFIjf.png
IpfqSZl.png
C6uVV3r.png rcPCtfe.png
qZrjH79.png
I'm posting my opinion. The Suggestions forum is a discussion forum; I posted why I don't think it's a good idea. You're free to think otherwise, but by posting a thread in a public forum you are inviting people to say what they think of it. You're not going to only get people agreeing with you.

Please don't ping me again.
I'm posting my opinion. The Suggestions forum is a discussion forum; I posted why I don't think it's a good idea. You're free to think otherwise, but by posting a thread in a public forum you are inviting people to say what they think of it. You're not going to only get people agreeing with you.

Please don't ping me again.
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
@/SeaCrest

I know you're posting an opinion. I'm allowed to discuss back and make counter arguments and post more perspective.

By posting in a public forum you're also inviting me to respond back. And I don't have to agree with you.

Don't take my disagreement with you as a personal attack. I completely understand that people are allowed to respond and have their own opinions. But It's Also in my right to respond and challenge those opinions. It's a back in forth. If you don't like the back then I don't know what to tell ya bud
@/SeaCrest

I know you're posting an opinion. I'm allowed to discuss back and make counter arguments and post more perspective.

By posting in a public forum you're also inviting me to respond back. And I don't have to agree with you.

Don't take my disagreement with you as a personal attack. I completely understand that people are allowed to respond and have their own opinions. But It's Also in my right to respond and challenge those opinions. It's a back in forth. If you don't like the back then I don't know what to tell ya bud
aaaaaaa 2iRFIjf.png
IpfqSZl.png
C6uVV3r.png rcPCtfe.png
qZrjH79.png
@RockportSlayer

You're saying they don't have the same functionality and then say that because one exists the others shouldn't need to? Lost me again, here.

Functionality gets added to new features because the old ones don't do the same or the new one does it better. An example would be PAs for their hoard removal functionality over CRs. Adding tipping would be stripping down communication functions from PMs.

If we had started out with tipping but without PMs that would make sense; PMs have increased range. Going backwards doesn't seem to make as much sense to me.

As far as Gaia goes I can't comment. I'm curious as to how many moderators Gaia has that delete spam posts.

For RL examples I'd like to point to every spammer out there who sends out millions of emails, letters, postcards, and flyers in the expectation that there's enough people out there to make that a viable business model.
@RockportSlayer

You're saying they don't have the same functionality and then say that because one exists the others shouldn't need to? Lost me again, here.

Functionality gets added to new features because the old ones don't do the same or the new one does it better. An example would be PAs for their hoard removal functionality over CRs. Adding tipping would be stripping down communication functions from PMs.

If we had started out with tipping but without PMs that would make sense; PMs have increased range. Going backwards doesn't seem to make as much sense to me.

As far as Gaia goes I can't comment. I'm curious as to how many moderators Gaia has that delete spam posts.

For RL examples I'd like to point to every spammer out there who sends out millions of emails, letters, postcards, and flyers in the expectation that there's enough people out there to make that a viable business model.

1 2 3