Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Online symbol
1 2
Nah. I don't like the idea that other people get to watch my daily schedules that closely, or the added pressure that comes with someone going "it says they're online, so why aren't they responding right this second, right now, hurry up, now". If I'm responding to them or if they see other signs of activity (the little box appearing that means I took items from a PM, for example), then as far as they're concerned, I was online for that moment and that's all they need to care about anyway--not whether I was tired of answering messages or feeling antisocial and didn't want to reply to a joke thread or still thinking and couldn't answer a PM about selling a fodder yet.
Nah. I don't like the idea that other people get to watch my daily schedules that closely, or the added pressure that comes with someone going "it says they're online, so why aren't they responding right this second, right now, hurry up, now". If I'm responding to them or if they see other signs of activity (the little box appearing that means I took items from a PM, for example), then as far as they're concerned, I was online for that moment and that's all they need to care about anyway--not whether I was tired of answering messages or feeling antisocial and didn't want to reply to a joke thread or still thinking and couldn't answer a PM about selling a fodder yet.
J7D1quC.png
CfG2LT1.png
XP7djFk.png
WKtl2lb.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png
I semi-support.

I mean, think of it this way. Couldn't we make it so that people could turn off the online symbol that shows if they're online or not? Like, you could have a decision on whether or not you want people to see if you're online. But I think that it would be really helpful for forums where a lot of interaction needs to happen between different parties.

There could even be options that display status, like "Do not disturb and such."
I semi-support.

I mean, think of it this way. Couldn't we make it so that people could turn off the online symbol that shows if they're online or not? Like, you could have a decision on whether or not you want people to see if you're online. But I think that it would be really helpful for forums where a lot of interaction needs to happen between different parties.

There could even be options that display status, like "Do not disturb and such."
OG3x9N6.png
FMoJ9vk.png
JrZGMGx.png
1YB0OjO.png
HjfaxvA.png
8WSTOZ5.png
NlmYDAS.pngvoyURL5.pngmlHpBMC.png
nWiQNX9.pngWKtl2lb.png
I'd rather not. I like my privacy.
I'd rather not. I like my privacy.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
The problem with opting out is it still sends a message. It says that you don't want people knowing your online movements. Seems obvious, and everyone should respect that, right? The trouble is that a small but vocal minority of people see this as a social site first and an online game second. We're talking about folks who were raised with Facebook notifications blowing up thier phones since they were 6, who were taught to always be available. To them, hiding your online status would be viewed as "anti-social."

If this feature were 100% accurate and provided a ton of benefits (consider raids and co-op quests in other online games) I'd say we shouldn't let a small minority ruin a good thing. Block, report and move on. Except that FR is a game that's played mostly solo. The benefits are not worth the harassment.
The problem with opting out is it still sends a message. It says that you don't want people knowing your online movements. Seems obvious, and everyone should respect that, right? The trouble is that a small but vocal minority of people see this as a social site first and an online game second. We're talking about folks who were raised with Facebook notifications blowing up thier phones since they were 6, who were taught to always be available. To them, hiding your online status would be viewed as "anti-social."

If this feature were 100% accurate and provided a ton of benefits (consider raids and co-op quests in other online games) I'd say we shouldn't let a small minority ruin a good thing. Block, report and move on. Except that FR is a game that's played mostly solo. The benefits are not worth the harassment.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
I'm totally ambivalent about this.

Nothing is so urgent here that we need to know if someone's online or not. And judging by some other online indicators, it probably won't be especially accurate, anyway.

Privacy is kind of an illusion, and harassment is a pretty simple fix. It could be fun, but I can't imagine it being helpful.
I'm totally ambivalent about this.

Nothing is so urgent here that we need to know if someone's online or not. And judging by some other online indicators, it probably won't be especially accurate, anyway.

Privacy is kind of an illusion, and harassment is a pretty simple fix. It could be fun, but I can't imagine it being helpful.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2019-08-20 07:28:37" ] Nothing is so urgent here that we need to know if someone's online or not. And judging by some other online indicators, it probably won't be especially accurate, anyway. [/quote] This, basically. And I would definitely opt out if that was added, as quite often I don't feel like interacting (or just busy) so I leave the messages unanswered for a bit. The only more or less urgent things include attending to the raffles (which already has its own indicators in the spreadsheets) and maybe gem/treasure sellers (again, they update their status manually for their own convenience whenever they're able to trade and there aren't many of them to begin with). All the rest can easily wait.
Almedha wrote on 2019-08-20 07:28:37:
This, basically. And I would definitely opt out if that was added, as quite often I don't feel like interacting (or just busy) so I leave the messages unanswered for a bit.

The only more or less urgent things include attending to the raffles (which already has its own indicators in the spreadsheets) and maybe gem/treasure sellers (again, they update their status manually for their own convenience whenever they're able to trade and there aren't many of them to begin with). All the rest can easily wait.
[quote name="Valemora" date="2019-08-20 09:46:32" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2019-08-20 07:28:37" ] Nothing is so urgent here that we need to know if someone's online or not. And judging by some other online indicators, it probably won't be especially accurate, anyway. [/quote] This, basically. And I would definitely opt out if that was added, as quite often I don't feel like interacting (or just busy) so I leave the messages unanswered for a bit. The only more or less urgent things include attending to the raffles (which already has its own indicators in the spreadsheets) and maybe gem/treasure sellers (again, they update their status manually for their own convenience whenever they're able to trade and there aren't many of them to begin with). All the rest can easily wait. [/quote] This is mainly why I don't support it, even with a toggle. While I know that knowing when someone is online can be useful, the truth is, what do you do if they don't respond to you? Do you send them another PM/cancel your trade? Basically, to me, knowing someone is online is useless, because if they don't want to respond to me, they won't, and there is nothing I can do about it, except go on. I don't want to send another PM because they might have only gotten online for a minute. Unless the trade is time critical (I have to have this dragon NOW because I want to breed a nest to hatch on a specific date etc..), then the trade itself can wait. I really see little use of an online indicator, and I can easily see it being used as yet another tool in the 'I know they were active, they fed their dragons/posted on the forums, so why aren't they responding!' argument. Players who wish others to know they are online can easily indicate that on profiles/broadcast messages/signatures, and it would be more accurate than this to boot.
Valemora wrote on 2019-08-20 09:46:32:
Almedha wrote on 2019-08-20 07:28:37:
This, basically. And I would definitely opt out if that was added, as quite often I don't feel like interacting (or just busy) so I leave the messages unanswered for a bit.

The only more or less urgent things include attending to the raffles (which already has its own indicators in the spreadsheets) and maybe gem/treasure sellers (again, they update their status manually for their own convenience whenever they're able to trade and there aren't many of them to begin with). All the rest can easily wait.
This is mainly why I don't support it, even with a toggle.

While I know that knowing when someone is online can be useful, the truth is, what do you do if they don't respond to you? Do you send them another PM/cancel your trade? Basically, to me, knowing someone is online is useless, because if they don't want to respond to me, they won't, and there is nothing I can do about it, except go on. I don't want to send another PM because they might have only gotten online for a minute. Unless the trade is time critical (I have to have this dragon NOW because I want to breed a nest to hatch on a specific date etc..), then the trade itself can wait.

I really see little use of an online indicator, and I can easily see it being used as yet another tool in the 'I know they were active, they fed their dragons/posted on the forums, so why aren't they responding!' argument. Players who wish others to know they are online can easily indicate that on profiles/broadcast messages/signatures, and it would be more accurate than this to boot.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I'm not very much for this function, not everyone wants someone to know that he is active. Another thing, if it could be switched.
I'm not very much for this function, not everyone wants someone to know that he is active. Another thing, if it could be switched.
14541.png14540.png
Zero support. I have no desire for anyone to be able to tell if I'm online.
Zero support. I have no desire for anyone to be able to tell if I'm online.
187008e47976df5e48be1a2aaddf54ba4af76fbc.gif
1 2