Suggestions
Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Abyssal coli venue suggestion/fan ideas
1 2

the main idea is:

A new Coliseum venue in a "deep sea" setting, specifically the "abyssal plain", under the continental slope(s) but above trenches (there's magic, everyone is fine).

it's not in familiar suggestions because:

I also have ideas for new mechanics, the venue appearance, a new breed that would drop from the bosses, and more!

I started this project because:

I wanted more glowing/bright/purple familiars. My username should explain why. I went into the suggestions forums and found some good inspiration; I later concluded that this could be a good personal challenge since I love designing monsters. A "space" venue could also achieve this, but a spacey venue seems pretty far out there (badumtss), i.e., not in Sornieth territory. PLus, the ocean is a lot like space when it comes down to how much we know about them.

• I'm using this doc to jot down ideas and illustrate the venue with various concepts; suggestions, ideas, and critique should be in this thread.

• I do not expect this idea to become a reality in-game, nor do I want "developer recognition" (while working on the site would be fun, I am a full-time student shdhsg); this is purely for fun and a personal challenge that I want to share!

Mentions, credits, and additions:

users who brought up relevant familiars:

@/Chevronlugia post (fish)

@/Yodana post (sharks)

@/ShinyUmbreon post (cuttlefish/isopods) post (roboticsism)

personal additions:
post - recolor
post - glowing deep sea creatures

This is a WIP. I don't know how to measure its completion since it is "for fun", but missing parts and art will be filled as time goes on (hopefully!).

I am not subbed to the thread!

the main idea is:

A new Coliseum venue in a "deep sea" setting, specifically the "abyssal plain", under the continental slope(s) but above trenches (there's magic, everyone is fine).

it's not in familiar suggestions because:

I also have ideas for new mechanics, the venue appearance, a new breed that would drop from the bosses, and more!

I started this project because:

I wanted more glowing/bright/purple familiars. My username should explain why. I went into the suggestions forums and found some good inspiration; I later concluded that this could be a good personal challenge since I love designing monsters. A "space" venue could also achieve this, but a spacey venue seems pretty far out there (badumtss), i.e., not in Sornieth territory. PLus, the ocean is a lot like space when it comes down to how much we know about them.

• I'm using this doc to jot down ideas and illustrate the venue with various concepts; suggestions, ideas, and critique should be in this thread.

• I do not expect this idea to become a reality in-game, nor do I want "developer recognition" (while working on the site would be fun, I am a full-time student shdhsg); this is purely for fun and a personal challenge that I want to share!

Mentions, credits, and additions:

users who brought up relevant familiars:

@/Chevronlugia post (fish)

@/Yodana post (sharks)

@/ShinyUmbreon post (cuttlefish/isopods) post (roboticsism)

personal additions:
post - recolor
post - glowing deep sea creatures

This is a WIP. I don't know how to measure its completion since it is "for fun", but missing parts and art will be filled as time goes on (hopefully!).

I am not subbed to the thread!
YflXoXG.png
[center][b]General Info and Mechanics[/b][/center] [b]Venue level:[/b] undecided (wut, another artist bad at math/ mechanical game level development) [b]Venue elements:[/b] Also at a loss here WRT balancing; but ideally water, shadow, and maybe [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2644446/1#post_38029884]plague[/url] [b]Venue clock:[/b] acts normally (day/night cycles according to other venues/site clock). However, the entire venue would be darker by nature. More on how night time could work later! [b]Drops:[/b] all normal drops, but the bosses could drop a breed change for a new breed (as for the droprate, I am lost, but it should DEFINITELY be higher than eliminate). Since this is underwater, uh, Tidelord, you home yet? [indent]• [color=red]new breed ideas will be hinted at, but formal proposals will be in the appropriate forum category.[/color] I'm currently entertaining the endless possibilities WRT the "ancient breeds" >:3 • Bosses could drop special ingredients/scrolls to research the new breed..this would..require a larger add-on to the site as a whole, maybe in the trading post; like Baldwin, except not. • The bosses as familiar items/their secondary drop(s) (yknow, the food type and trinket and stuff) could be Baldwin ingredients in general..as all drops act normally and contribute to the site economy in general.[/indent] [b]Venue Layout:[/b] [img]https://puu.sh/CWzzK/2123a2fcf7.png[/img] [size=2]check out that sexy spiral male[/size] Existing venues as guides (AKA expect more sketches): the [i]volcanic vents[/i] venue illustrates a geographically deep area. [img]https://puu.sh/CWyHG/58ed126a15.png[/img] the redrock cove features dragons on a "land" portion and the beasts on a "water" portion. This sets a precedent for "floating" characters. [img]https://puu.sh/CWyLn/2e0e16da2b.png[/img] the kelp beds have a slight color overlay to suggest that the characters are really underwater: [img]https://puu.sh/CWyNp/a284317457.png[/img] dragons and beasts would appear like so in this venue: [ sketch place holder ] [b]Venue Animation:[/b] • going to need to look up seafloor life for this bit before I make more solid suggestions about background happenings. • I would like to see the bosses[i] "moving" around in the trench[/i] during normal battles. • The bosses could appear only as [i]heads[/i] during the fight. If so, their true appearance is only revealed in their familiar drops (or datamining/the database). If not, and they would appear "normally"; they are a writhing ball of angry sea monster. [indent]details: flowing/writhing tentacles; movement of glowing parts (especially at night)[/indent]
General Info and Mechanics

Venue level: undecided (wut, another artist bad at math/ mechanical game level development)

Venue elements: Also at a loss here WRT balancing; but ideally water, shadow, and maybe plague

Venue clock: acts normally (day/night cycles according to other venues/site clock). However, the entire venue would be darker by nature. More on how night time could work later!

Drops: all normal drops, but the bosses could drop a breed change for a new breed (as for the droprate, I am lost, but it should DEFINITELY be higher than eliminate). Since this is underwater, uh, Tidelord, you home yet?

new breed ideas will be hinted at, but formal proposals will be in the appropriate forum category. I'm currently entertaining the endless possibilities WRT the "ancient breeds" >:3

• Bosses could drop special ingredients/scrolls to research the new breed..this would..require a larger add-on to the site as a whole, maybe in the trading post; like Baldwin, except not.

• The bosses as familiar items/their secondary drop(s) (yknow, the food type and trinket and stuff) could be Baldwin ingredients in general..as all drops act normally and contribute to the site economy in general.

Venue Layout:

2123a2fcf7.png
check out that sexy spiral male

Existing venues as guides (AKA expect more sketches):

the volcanic vents venue illustrates a geographically deep area.
58ed126a15.png

the redrock cove features dragons on a "land" portion and the beasts on a "water" portion. This sets a precedent for "floating" characters.

2e0e16da2b.png

the kelp beds have a slight color overlay to suggest that the characters are really underwater:

a284317457.png

dragons and beasts would appear like so in this venue:

[ sketch place holder ]

Venue Animation:

• going to need to look up seafloor life for this bit before I make more solid suggestions about background happenings.

• I would like to see the bosses "moving" around in the trench during normal battles.

• The bosses could appear only as heads during the fight. If so, their true appearance is only revealed in their familiar drops (or datamining/the database). If not, and they would appear "normally"; they are a writhing ball of angry sea monster.

details: flowing/writhing tentacles;
movement of glowing parts (especially at night)
YflXoXG.png
[center][b]Beasts, Familiars, and Bosses: concepts, ideas, wishful thinking[/b][/center] general consensus: - glowing, deep sea inspired creatures (squids, weird things no one knows names of,...) - mermaids, bc everyone loves them - fossil or robotic creatures (includes isopods) - sharks [b]So first up, boss design:[/b] the idea is pretty basic (at least to me since I draw glowing stuff for breakfast), but I really want to convey a sense of magnitude and mystery, like, not to get too [i]deep,[/i] but yknow how people are with the ocean and the wisdom that no one really knows anything img A. standard prelim digital sketch. It is based off some comfort/bored sketches i did in my planner/math notes/etc. and an easy blue theme. [img]https://puu.sh/CWzSJ/09bc91120d.png[/img] B. more direct prelim; looking into markings, contrast, and shape. also illustrates a hue for the other color scheme; I would only add orange (purple is....tempting) to differ from a bluer one. [img]https://puu.sh/CWzWu/dd8c132be4.png[/img] [b]presentation:[/b] presentation A (rock) i was channeling my destiny 2: warmind love in this one; Xol (a giant worm boss) curls around a giant tower in battle. Such a pose could suit this venue; the boss would slither up this tower-rock in transition and sit on it with basic animatics during the fight. [img]https://puu.sh/CWzs7/6d38d57d7a.png[/img] presentation B (head only, in stages) the boss could dramatically rise from the depths, but only so far as its head; this option is the most dramatic in terms of scale, but also could be boring. It also diverges from standard coli boss format. [img]https://puu.sh/CWzvz/83acc95167.png[/img] [img]https://puu.sh/CWzOd/e1fcc7b719.png[/img] could twirl around, make charged energy attacks..bite?? presentation C (writhing mass) [color=red]disclaimer:[/color] if anyone is caught copying these designs or selling them on deviantart or all that, [emoji=ridgeback angry] [i]boi...... unless stated otherwise, they are of my design and I should like to use them in my own work or portfolios in refined pieces, so, big nope.[/i]
Beasts, Familiars, and Bosses: concepts, ideas, wishful thinking

general consensus:

- glowing, deep sea inspired creatures (squids, weird things no one knows names of,...)

- mermaids, bc everyone loves them

- fossil or robotic creatures (includes isopods)

- sharks

So first up, boss design:

the idea is pretty basic (at least to me since I draw glowing stuff for breakfast), but I really want to convey a sense of magnitude and mystery, like, not to get too deep, but yknow how people are with the ocean and the wisdom that no one really knows anything

img A.

standard prelim digital sketch. It is based off some comfort/bored sketches i did in my planner/math notes/etc. and an easy blue theme.

09bc91120d.png

B. more direct prelim; looking into markings, contrast, and shape.

also illustrates a hue for the other color scheme; I would only add orange (purple is....tempting) to differ from a bluer one.

dd8c132be4.png

presentation:

presentation A (rock)

i was channeling my destiny 2: warmind love in this one; Xol (a giant worm boss) curls around a giant tower in battle. Such a pose could suit this venue; the boss would slither up this tower-rock in transition and sit on it with basic animatics during the fight.

6d38d57d7a.png

presentation B (head only, in stages)

the boss could dramatically rise from the depths, but only so far as its head; this option is the most dramatic in terms of scale, but also could be boring. It also diverges from standard coli boss format.

83acc95167.png
e1fcc7b719.png

could twirl around, make charged energy attacks..bite??

presentation C (writhing mass)

disclaimer: if anyone is caught copying these designs or selling them on deviantart or all that, boi......
unless stated otherwise, they are of my design and I should like to use them in my own work or portfolios in refined pieces, so, big nope.
YflXoXG.png
[center][b]Drops:[/b][/center] venue vistas, of course gonna add more stuff here not just drops [img]https://puu.sh/CWMrn/b5535d05d4.jpg[/img]
Drops:

venue vistas, of course

gonna

add more stuff here

not just drops

b5535d05d4.jpg

YflXoXG.png
still adding stuff, but posts are fine now!
still adding stuff, but posts are fine now!
YflXoXG.png
I will say that I like the idea of a deep, deep-sea venue - ocean trenches are crazy places and wonderful spots to let the imagination roam wild. And this _is_ distinct from Kelp Beds in that manner.

However, if FR were to release one tomorrow, fully made, I'd be salty as those seas itself, because we have so many water venues without a single Plague one. Or a good Light one, for that matter. Water really doesn't need more venues at this juncture, and neither does Fire, which is the secondary option for a volcanic seafloor. Shadow - if this were shadow-angled, yeah, they're also suffering, but I think that's not really possible unless you really changed the aesthetic into something else.

That said, taking the idea in a vacuum? Dark, dark atmospherics. Floating, gently glowing bubbles. Enemies? Tube worms that can superheat the water around them (or cause whirlpools, for a wind one.) Eels with some kind of base to grip themselves to the rock, like crab legs or suction cups. Magical anglerfish that can make lights appear in the water, driving smarter prey towards the dark places they lurk. Renegade Maren, Maren that have been exiled or gone mad from the pressure. Obligatory blobfish (they are not happy that you take them out of the water, heh.) Bosses that draw inspiration from giant squids and oarfish; collossal, long, and with too many tentacles. Prominent beaks. Also prominent teeth.
I will say that I like the idea of a deep, deep-sea venue - ocean trenches are crazy places and wonderful spots to let the imagination roam wild. And this _is_ distinct from Kelp Beds in that manner.

However, if FR were to release one tomorrow, fully made, I'd be salty as those seas itself, because we have so many water venues without a single Plague one. Or a good Light one, for that matter. Water really doesn't need more venues at this juncture, and neither does Fire, which is the secondary option for a volcanic seafloor. Shadow - if this were shadow-angled, yeah, they're also suffering, but I think that's not really possible unless you really changed the aesthetic into something else.

That said, taking the idea in a vacuum? Dark, dark atmospherics. Floating, gently glowing bubbles. Enemies? Tube worms that can superheat the water around them (or cause whirlpools, for a wind one.) Eels with some kind of base to grip themselves to the rock, like crab legs or suction cups. Magical anglerfish that can make lights appear in the water, driving smarter prey towards the dark places they lurk. Renegade Maren, Maren that have been exiled or gone mad from the pressure. Obligatory blobfish (they are not happy that you take them out of the water, heh.) Bosses that draw inspiration from giant squids and oarfish; collossal, long, and with too many tentacles. Prominent beaks. Also prominent teeth.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
[quote name="Laluzi" date="2019-03-07 11:19:32" ] I will say that I like the idea of a deep, deep-sea venue - ocean trenches are crazy places and wonderful spots to let the imagination roam wild. And this _is_ distinct from Kelp Beds in that manner. However, if FR were to release one tomorrow, fully made, I'd be salty as those seas itself, because we have so many water venues without a single Plague one. Or a good Light one, for that matter. Water really doesn't need more venues at this juncture, and neither does Fire, which is the secondary option for a volcanic seafloor. Shadow - if this were shadow-angled, yeah, they're also suffering, but I think that's not really possible unless you really changed the aesthetic into something else. That said, taking the idea in a vacuum? Dark, dark atmospherics. Floating, gently glowing bubbles. Enemies? Tube worms that can superheat the water around them (or cause whirlpools, for a wind one.) Eels with some kind of base to grip themselves to the rock, like crab legs or suction cups. Magical anglerfish that can make lights appear in the water, driving smarter prey towards the dark places they lurk. Renegade Maren, Maren that have been exiled or gone mad from the pressure. Obligatory blobfish (they are not happy that you take them out of the water, heh.) Bosses that draw inspiration from giant squids and oarfish; collossal, long, and with too many tentacles. Prominent beaks. Also prominent teeth. [/quote] I would happily see plague elements included!. There are, uh, plenty of dead things on the ocean floor (they don't have anywhere else to go). The deep sea might be the oldest source of scary legends ever, so I'll gladly think about how to incorporate some plague aesthetics. and yes. [i]teeth.[/i]
Laluzi wrote on 2019-03-07 11:19:32:

I would happily see plague elements included!. There are, uh, plenty of dead things on the ocean floor (they don't have anywhere else to go). The deep sea might be the oldest source of scary legends ever, so I'll gladly think about how to incorporate some plague aesthetics.

and yes.

teeth.
YflXoXG.png
Oh, I didn't mean that you should go overboard with plague within the aesthetic - I was just complaining that we don't have any plague-based venues and I would rather see FR tackle neglected elements before giving third/fourth venues to very abundantly done elements. (Nature also has a lot of venues.) I think bottom-feeders go well for Plague - that or ambush predators that single out weak/ailing prey. Corpse Cleaners used to be Plague element, and this is the aspect I'm thinking. Or perhaps very alarming deepsea spore-infections. Oh! What if a blobfish enemy looked different in the coli than it did as a familiar? Decompression and all. (Of course, the poor fish is perfectly fine and healthy via Sornieth logic. Just very unhappy looking.) You could also run with Water's notes of really [I]forbidden[/I] stuff being this deep. There's a few items that hint to this, too. [item=Behemoth Lance] [item=Deeprealm Runestone] Edit: Now that you've got it up, just wanted to say that boss design looks [i]gorgeous[/i].
Oh, I didn't mean that you should go overboard with plague within the aesthetic - I was just complaining that we don't have any plague-based venues and I would rather see FR tackle neglected elements before giving third/fourth venues to very abundantly done elements. (Nature also has a lot of venues.)

I think bottom-feeders go well for Plague - that or ambush predators that single out weak/ailing prey. Corpse Cleaners used to be Plague element, and this is the aspect I'm thinking. Or perhaps very alarming deepsea spore-infections.

Oh! What if a blobfish enemy looked different in the coli than it did as a familiar? Decompression and all. (Of course, the poor fish is perfectly fine and healthy via Sornieth logic. Just very unhappy looking.)

You could also run with Water's notes of really forbidden stuff being this deep. There's a few items that hint to this, too.

Edit: Now that you've got it up, just wanted to say that boss design looks gorgeous.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
@Laluzi

yeah yeah I get you! A lot of them seem biome-centric (rainforests, savannah, etc). A plague one could be like. tar pits? idk. maybe they could remake the harpy's roost, or make something completely out there in plague territory scary dead things are fun though and zombie critters would fit in a few places

and wow, I haven't looked at existing lore or items for this project yet, but I have caught some neat trinkets like those! I should prob collect them into a list someday :o

and thank you!
@Laluzi

yeah yeah I get you! A lot of them seem biome-centric (rainforests, savannah, etc). A plague one could be like. tar pits? idk. maybe they could remake the harpy's roost, or make something completely out there in plague territory scary dead things are fun though and zombie critters would fit in a few places

and wow, I haven't looked at existing lore or items for this project yet, but I have caught some neat trinkets like those! I should prob collect them into a list someday :o

and thank you!
YflXoXG.png
I love this idea! Bioluminescence is awesome, and we could always use more glowy stuff here. Horrifying deep sea monsters are always great as well, FR doesn't have nearly enough eldritch horror. I would also love to see another shadow venue, and this would be perfect for that since bioluminescence is a part of Shadow's aesthetic that isn't really accounted for in the Ghostlight Ruins.
I love this idea! Bioluminescence is awesome, and we could always use more glowy stuff here. Horrifying deep sea monsters are always great as well, FR doesn't have nearly enough eldritch horror. I would also love to see another shadow venue, and this would be perfect for that since bioluminescence is a part of Shadow's aesthetic that isn't really accounted for in the Ghostlight Ruins.
vgVdDVs.png
Misha or Mikki
she/her
FR +3
tumblr_nm1t6r4Sr81tfzajgo1_75sq.gif
ssNrqdc.gif
1 2