Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Support multiple languages in pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(I sweat I had already commented here?)

If I'm allowed to PM my friends in spanish, then people that speak languages that don't use the latin script should also be able to do the same.

There's no demerit because any there could be can already happen with languages that use the latin script. Harassment or "making moderation hard" are not valid reasons to not allow a big part of the world to communicate with each other over PMs. Why should french and german get a pass but not chinese and russian?
(I sweat I had already commented here?)

If I'm allowed to PM my friends in spanish, then people that speak languages that don't use the latin script should also be able to do the same.

There's no demerit because any there could be can already happen with languages that use the latin script. Harassment or "making moderation hard" are not valid reasons to not allow a big part of the world to communicate with each other over PMs. Why should french and german get a pass but not chinese and russian?
rairai_by_thecomposerrn-dbrohjs.pngaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame_me_by_thecomposerrn-dbrogh4.png
As someone who only speaks English, full support. I know weird characters can be odd for moderation, but there are plenty of resources online that can translate them accurately enough to get the general gist of the topic.
As someone who only speaks English, full support. I know weird characters can be odd for moderation, but there are plenty of resources online that can translate them accurately enough to get the general gist of the topic.
He/she/them
FR +3
Information+Wishlist+Art Shop!
Aether adopts!
My colorwheel project!

This is a reminder to be patient with new players in the suggestions forum if they post something commonly suggested! The forum search isn't particularly outstanding or obvious.
RcqRLxb.png
And even on forums, I can literally type pinyin, which is a romanized version of Chinese, and Chinese speakers will be able to understand what I mean, and since it isn't Chinese characters, translating that will be harder than the actual non-romanized language. The point is there are already ways to communicate with the latin alphabet, in languages such as Korean Hangul and Japanese Hepburn, so there really is no point of keeping pms latin only
And even on forums, I can literally type pinyin, which is a romanized version of Chinese, and Chinese speakers will be able to understand what I mean, and since it isn't Chinese characters, translating that will be harder than the actual non-romanized language. The point is there are already ways to communicate with the latin alphabet, in languages such as Korean Hangul and Japanese Hepburn, so there really is no point of keeping pms latin only
support. trying to speak hebrew to friends in this game...
support. trying to speak hebrew to friends in this game...
097fe9bb15c36a1f4509e52d9751380acc01514f.gif
Support! People can already type pinyin, so why not?
Support! People can already type pinyin, so why not?
oQlTGMl.pngMFt2hm4.png

...i live in the space between the stars and the sky... ,,
support, I'm bilingual and although I've never spoken in my second language to someone else in fr I can see how this would become an issue.
support, I'm bilingual and although I've never spoken in my second language to someone else in fr I can see how this would become an issue.
unknown.pngWRNZ9bCvdv0DmOfnD0KRdSrOOv4PHyYVrBCPQX4AAAAASUVORK5CYII.pngimage0.png
Full support. It's PMs, why should people be forced to use the latin alphabet in PMs?
If harrassment happens and there's a language barrier, will the recipient even know?
It's not hard to block someone who PMs you in a language you don't speak if that's an issue for you. Or simply reply with a "sorry I don't understand that" if you don't wanna insta-block.
Full support. It's PMs, why should people be forced to use the latin alphabet in PMs?
If harrassment happens and there's a language barrier, will the recipient even know?
It's not hard to block someone who PMs you in a language you don't speak if that's an issue for you. Or simply reply with a "sorry I don't understand that" if you don't wanna insta-block.
#UnnamedIsValid
My pronouns are xe/xim/xir/xirself.
Wishlist on the dragon
61671499.png Dragon Purchase Preference Poll
Closes 12:01 server time. Sept 1st.
It would be good for communication for people where English isn't a first language, but harassment would be really easy to do. If you were to report someone harassing you in another language; staff being english speaking, probably can't even tell it's harassment. So they can't do too much, because they can't assume that the reporter is 100% in the right. And blocking to prevent harassment is a band-aid solution, not one that is effective all the time.

If staff could find a way around those harassment problems, then full support, but otherwise I can see too many messy situations happening.
It would be good for communication for people where English isn't a first language, but harassment would be really easy to do. If you were to report someone harassing you in another language; staff being english speaking, probably can't even tell it's harassment. So they can't do too much, because they can't assume that the reporter is 100% in the right. And blocking to prevent harassment is a band-aid solution, not one that is effective all the time.

If staff could find a way around those harassment problems, then full support, but otherwise I can see too many messy situations happening.
Full support for non-roman languages. Especially bc it's already been pointed out that some of them are enabled on other parts of the side aside from PMs. I feel like most of the international users still speak English alongside their native and for reports it could still be communicated to mods what was said and what bad terms were used. Google translate doesn't do well with full sentences but can easily translate singular words. Would it be a little more work for moderators? Yes. But I think the tradeoff is worth.
Full support for non-roman languages. Especially bc it's already been pointed out that some of them are enabled on other parts of the side aside from PMs. I feel like most of the international users still speak English alongside their native and for reports it could still be communicated to mods what was said and what bad terms were used. Google translate doesn't do well with full sentences but can easily translate singular words. Would it be a little more work for moderators? Yes. But I think the tradeoff is worth.
She|Her - Ace - FRT(0) | Lore
g67EwfB.png
I'll just add, many languages that use non-english alphabets are actually HARDER to translate when people spell them with English alphabets. This only makes moderation HARDER because they can't throw them into a translator without getting gibberish in return. People who want to harass others in other languages can already do that using English alphabets (or worse, using an image file). Making PM non-english friendly only makes moderation easier, imo.
I'll just add, many languages that use non-english alphabets are actually HARDER to translate when people spell them with English alphabets. This only makes moderation HARDER because they can't throw them into a translator without getting gibberish in return. People who want to harass others in other languages can already do that using English alphabets (or worse, using an image file). Making PM non-english friendly only makes moderation easier, imo.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9