Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | >COMPLETE< Thundercrack 2015 cyoa
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 54
[center][b]Day 8[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4470324] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/44704/4470324_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Quasar sees a few of the other dragons standing or fluttering about nervously beside their display stands. A dark green wildclaw drums his claws on the small, foldable table where his circuitous invention stands while a little purple fae speaks in rapidfire monotone to explain the functions of the lemming-powered transport he made to one of the judges. For Quasar, the exciting part has already passed. No nervousness, nor particular excitement of any kind stirs in him at the thought of having his little winged cat golem on display; his invention is complete, he's had his nap, and Quasar is content. The location of Quasar's display is not ideal. It's tucked into a corner behind two larger ones that make it easy for visitors to miss, but from Quasar's location, he hasn't noticed. His attention is on his golem. It gazes around the floor with curious eyes, blinks them. The eyes are a soft electric blue that glows even in this lighting -- it may be lifeless, but the signs of intelligence that the small body holds are unmistakable. The golem extends its wings as if stretching them in preparation for flight. Quasar hums, giving the golem a gentle pat on the head. Regardless of what the judges decide, this invention is a success in his mind. At least, until he rolls over on it in his sleep and has to build it all over again.
Day 8

4470324_350.png
Quasar sees a few of the other dragons standing or fluttering about nervously beside their display stands. A dark green wildclaw drums his claws on the small, foldable table where his circuitous invention stands while a little purple fae speaks in rapidfire monotone to explain the functions of the lemming-powered transport he made to one of the judges. For Quasar, the exciting part has already passed. No nervousness, nor particular excitement of any kind stirs in him at the thought of having his little winged cat golem on display; his invention is complete, he's had his nap, and Quasar is content.

The location of Quasar's display is not ideal. It's tucked into a corner behind two larger ones that make it easy for visitors to miss, but from Quasar's location, he hasn't noticed. His attention is on his golem. It gazes around the floor with curious eyes, blinks them. The eyes are a soft electric blue that glows even in this lighting -- it may be lifeless, but the signs of intelligence that the small body holds are unmistakable. The golem extends its wings as if stretching them in preparation for flight. Quasar hums, giving the golem a gentle pat on the head. Regardless of what the judges decide, this invention is a success in his mind.

At least, until he rolls over on it in his sleep and has to build it all over again.

|______________| OOL8tGM.gif |___| }FR+0
she/her
|___| FEJeTed.gif
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1267147] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/12672/1267147_350.png[/img] [/url] Eisa, who can be quite artistic when she chooses, spends a while arranging scavenged cogs around her tree like a formation of rocks. These are old cogs, bent and rusty, but it only adds to the effect as she covers the pipelines. The switch, resting on the back edge of the table, is behind another pile of these cogs. Under the table the hamster wheel waits in its clay reinforced machinery, along with the gas supply. Eisa spends a while cutting out and curling bright copper foil ferns to place in her cog formation and deliberately scatters rust flakes on the unvarnished wood of her table to look like sand. She sets the dial to Spring and watches the little LEDs light up in the trees branches. Pretty, if a little dull. Spring may be a short season, she’s already getting bored. Dragons stop by to compliment her, though, and the judges seem to like it. “So pretty,” an iridescent spiral tells her, twining in the air as her scales reflect the light. “Do you want to see summer?” Eisa asks, darting forwards to the dial. She twists it without waiting for an answer and flames unfurl like leaves along the branches, coloured by the chemicals tucked within. The Spiral pulls her nose back sharply and then laughs. “That’s amazing.” Eisa’s crests stand up proudly. “Isn’t it?” The LEDs had got her compliments but this is getting her more attention — some of it a little nervous, but most of it still admiring. She lets it sit a while, basking in the bright coloured flames of her own invention and listening to the whirr of Alexander’s wheel, before a young Ridgeback stops by with his own tools hanging from his belt. “Is that all it does?” he asks. “Of course not,” says Eisa. “That’s just summer, I haven’t shown you autumn yet.” At a flip of the switch the tree starts crackling, sparks flare and drip from the lower branches as the fireworks are exposed to the flame. Green, red, blue, still perfectly co-ordinated with the LEDs. The tree sputters like a roman candle, all bright exposions and falling flame. It’s a perfect representation of autumn. It’s also a flammable table. Soon fire coats it as thoroughly as leaves might coat a forest floor. Alexander runs out from under the table and disappears into a hole the wall at speed. Eisa hovers, ignoring the people yelling at her, wondering whether to rescue her tree before it warps in the heat or just enjoy the spectacle. Suddenly everything is white and wet. Eisa lands on the table under a heap of white foam and comes up shaking it from her wings and crest. Once she’s blinked it out of her eyes she finds herself looking up at the soot covered face of a most familiar Snapper. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=1387432] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/13875/1387432_350.png[/img] [/url] “Oh, Klaus,” she says, as he leans forward to loom at her better. “I didn’t know you were coming.” “I heard some rumours about wildfires,” he says. “So I thought I’d better come and show off [i]my[/i] invention.” He lowers one wing slightly, drawing attention to the tank of foam settled on his back. There are nozzles mounted on his shoulders. Eisa shakes more foam off. “It’s a very boring invention,” she says. “It’s practical. And doesn’t leave a huge mess for its inventor to clean up.” He casts a meaningful look at the table where the foam is already evaporating away from a badly burnt table with cogs melted into its surface. “Um.” Eisa’s crest droops meekly as she turns towards it, but as soon as she’s taken a step away from Klaus her wings are out and flashing like a hummingbird’s. She flits away between tables full of fun and interesting inventions she hasn’t had a chance to see while working on her own. The Faire’s not over yet! Behind her there’s a familiar stomping, but she’ll deal with that when he catches her.

1267147_350.png

Eisa, who can be quite artistic when she chooses, spends a while arranging scavenged cogs around her tree like a formation of rocks. These are old cogs, bent and rusty, but it only adds to the effect as she covers the pipelines. The switch, resting on the back edge of the table, is behind another pile of these cogs. Under the table the hamster wheel waits in its clay reinforced machinery, along with the gas supply. Eisa spends a while cutting out and curling bright copper foil ferns to place in her cog formation and deliberately scatters rust flakes on the unvarnished wood of her table to look like sand.

She sets the dial to Spring and watches the little LEDs light up in the trees branches. Pretty, if a little dull. Spring may be a short season, she’s already getting bored.

Dragons stop by to compliment her, though, and the judges seem to like it. “So pretty,” an iridescent spiral tells her, twining in the air as her scales reflect the light.

“Do you want to see summer?” Eisa asks, darting forwards to the dial. She twists it without waiting for an answer and flames unfurl like leaves along the branches, coloured by the chemicals tucked within.

The Spiral pulls her nose back sharply and then laughs. “That’s amazing.”

Eisa’s crests stand up proudly. “Isn’t it?”

The LEDs had got her compliments but this is getting her more attention — some of it a little nervous, but most of it still admiring.

She lets it sit a while, basking in the bright coloured flames of her own invention and listening to the whirr of Alexander’s wheel, before a young Ridgeback stops by with his own tools hanging from his belt.

“Is that all it does?” he asks.

“Of course not,” says Eisa. “That’s just summer, I haven’t shown you autumn yet.”

At a flip of the switch the tree starts crackling, sparks flare and drip from the lower branches as the fireworks are exposed to the flame. Green, red, blue, still perfectly co-ordinated with the LEDs. The tree sputters like a roman candle, all bright exposions and falling flame. It’s a perfect representation of autumn.

It’s also a flammable table.

Soon fire coats it as thoroughly as leaves might coat a forest floor. Alexander runs out from under the table and disappears into a hole the wall at speed. Eisa hovers, ignoring the people yelling at her, wondering whether to rescue her tree before it warps in the heat or just enjoy the spectacle.

Suddenly everything is white and wet. Eisa lands on the table under a heap of white foam and comes up shaking it from her wings and crest. Once she’s blinked it out of her eyes she finds herself looking up at the soot covered face of a most familiar Snapper.

1387432_350.png

“Oh, Klaus,” she says, as he leans forward to loom at her better. “I didn’t know you were coming.”

“I heard some rumours about wildfires,” he says. “So I thought I’d better come and show off my invention.” He lowers one wing slightly, drawing attention to the tank of foam settled on his back. There are nozzles mounted on his shoulders.

Eisa shakes more foam off. “It’s a very boring invention,” she says.

“It’s practical. And doesn’t leave a huge mess for its inventor to clean up.” He casts a meaningful look at the table where the foam is already evaporating away from a badly burnt table with cogs melted into its surface.

“Um.” Eisa’s crest droops meekly as she turns towards it, but as soon as she’s taken a step away from Klaus her wings are out and flashing like a hummingbird’s. She flits away between tables full of fun and interesting inventions she hasn’t had a chance to see while working on her own. The Faire’s not over yet!

Behind her there’s a familiar stomping, but she’ll deal with that when he catches her.
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14560408] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/145605/14560408_350.png[/img] [/url] "You ready sis?" Shimmerglow asked as he packed the Charged Tungsten. Waveskimmer zipped up her suit. "Ready as I'll ever be." They flew to the presentation warehouse, where many dragons were already setting up their displays. Waveskimmer and Shimmerglow ignored them all and headed straight for the stage at the far end of the warehouse. At the end of the judging period the judges would use that stage to announce the winners of the contest. Right now Waveskimmer was going to use it to stage her live demonstration of her invention. Waveskimmer adjusted her suit. It was a beautiful thing, made from rippling cloth and plate armor dyed a dark gray. Cyan-colored wires ran across the suit, mimicking the static electricity that was always present on the Stormcatcher's body. The sleeves of the suit extended all the way over her hands and feet, with holes cut out for her claws. The storage container for the electricity was on the tail, adjusted to resemble the spiny structure on the end of the Stormcatcher's tail. Waveskimmer had seen many other dragons designing their inventions in homage to the Stormcatcher as well, so she wouldn't get any points for originality. But she wasn't too worried. Lots of inventions here may look like the Stormcatcher, but how many could actually shoot lightning? They climbed up to the front of the stage, and from its raised platform they could see all the other fair-goers in the building. "The judges are coming this way," Shimmerglow hissed as he pointed to a group of dragons walking over with clipboards: two Ridgebacks, a Coatl, and an Imperial. There was a microphone at the front of the stage; Waveskimmer grabbed it while Shimmerglow raced to set everything up. "Hello? Is this thing on?" Waveskimmer asked as she tapped the microphone with a claw. A painful screech burst through the speakers, causing some dragons to cover their ears as all eyes focused on Waveskimmer. "Oh. Okay, it works." she laughed nervously. [i]Come on Waveskimmer, get it together. This is your big chance.[/i] Waveskimmer cleared her throat before continuing. "Anyways, my name is Waveskimmer. I'm from the Clan of Roaring Waters in Tsunami Flats. That's in the Sea of a Thousand Currents, for those of you who don't know." The crowd stared impassively, a few beginning to whisper what a random Imperial was doing onstage. [i]You're rambling, Waveskimmer. Get to the point already.[/i] "So I was raised in the Tidelord's domain, but I was born here, in the Shifting Expanse. So for my invention I decided to combine both parts of my heritage to create something every dragon can use. I'm wearing it right now, actually." Waveskimmer had folded in on herself while she was speaking; now she unfurled herself to her full length to show off her suit. "I call it...the Electrabsorb Suit." She'd just came up with the name last night. "It can absorb any and all lightning attacks thrown at it with ease while leaving the wearer unharmed, it can be tailored to fit any dragon perfectly, and it can come in a variety of colors and designs, including designs based on everyone's favorite Bossman, the Stormcatcher!" Now that she was talking about her invention instead of her herself, Waveskimmer grew in confidence. "This suit can help so many dragons! Water, Ice, and Light dragons will never have to fear the Golem Workshop ever again! Dragons working on the Lightning Farms won't have to worry about strikes of lightning. And that's not even scratching the surface! Who knows what other uses we could find for this suit? But enough of me talking your ears off," she said. "I'm sure you all would much rather see a live demonstration of what this suit can do." Waveskimmer pulled the hood of the suit over her head. It resembled the Stormcatcher's face of course, and the copper coils had been shaped to match the frill that ran down the deity's head and neck. "Ready?" she shouted to Shimmerglow, who was standing across the stage from her. Shimmerglow knocked the pieces of Charged Tungsten in his hands together. "Ready." Waveskimmer nodded and turned so that the audience would have a good view. "Then let it fire." Shimmerglow rubbed the Charged Tungsten together while filling them up with his own Lightning magic, letting the static electricity build up before slowly pulling them apart. A large orb of electric energy formed between the two pieces, growing bigger and bigger as Shimmerglow few more power into it. Finally, with only a moment's hesitation, he launched the giant Shock Bolt straight at Waveskimmer. There was a flash of light, and a thunderous [b][i]BOOM[/i] [/b]echoed throughout the building. Some dragons screamed and covered their eyes. Even for a Lightning dragon, that had to be painful. The smoke cleared, and everyone could see Waveskimmer slowly walk over to the microphone, her suit - especially the tail end - sparkling with electricity. With one hand she gripped the microphone stand tightly, and with the other she pulled her hood back, revealing herself as perfectly unharmed. "What did I tell you?" she shouted as the crowd cheered its approval. Waveskimmer grinned. That Shock Bolt had been the biggest one she'd ever seen, and she's barely felt more than a tickle. "But there's more to it than that," she continued once the cheers died down. "Not only does this suit protect you from Lightning attacks, it also stores this energy for later use. What kind of use, you may ask? Well, there's recharging batteries, powering gizmos, and running generators, for starters. But there's also another thing you can do with this power." While she was speaking, Shimmerglow had put away the tungsten and set up a wooden target with a bull's eye drawn on it. Now Waveskimmer moved so she was standing ten feet in front of it. Waveskimmer took a deep breath. This was the hard part. She'd done some testing on the original prototype before, but with this suit she'd build from scrap pieces in a week... [i]No. Focus, Waveskimmer. You can do this.[/i] Two thin circles of tungsten encased in metal rings were set into the sleeves over Waveskimmer's palms. Waveskimmer rubbed her palms together, letting the electricity stored in the tail flow into her hands. Charged Tungsten may be a terrible power source, but it made an excellent conductor. Waveskimmer was aware of the electricity around her, [i]feeling [/i]the way it flowed into her hands and the raw power it contained, [i]she [/i]contained. [i]Is this how dragons with actual Lightning magic feel?[/i] she wondered. Slowly she pulled her palms apart, letting the electricity shape itself into an orb. With a sudden, cathartic scream, Waveskimmer launched a perfect Shock Bolt at the target. There was a flash of light, and a thunderous [b][i]BOOM[/i][/b]. There was no sign of the wooden target anywhere, only a scorched spot on the stage where it once stood. The crowd cheered, and Waveskimmer found herself swept up by a wave of dragons who wanted to speak to her. There was a Lightning Coatl who asked her how much energy could be stored in her suit, a wealthy Ice Pearlcatcher couple who wanted to know when they could buy suits of their own, a few Light Snappers who asked if they could study her designs, and so many dragons, all of them asking questions and giving congratulations. Shimmerglow pushed his way in front of the crowd and gave her a huge hug. "I knew you could it!" he shouted over the noise. A pink Spiral with dark blue eyes nodded. "Yep! We never doubted you for a second!" Waveskimmer stared at her. "Odette...?" Odette was the nanny of the clan, who looked after all the hatchlings. What was she doing here? A jade-colored Guardian with crimson wings pushed her way forward. "Yes. We heard that they would be judging the inventions today, so we thought we'd come out here to see you," said Radiance, the clan founder and matriarch. "The whole clan came out to support you!" added Obsidian, a dark-colored Ridgeback. Waveskimmer looked around. Now she could recognize her clanmates - there was Gleaming, the head hunter and trainer; Thistlepuff, the scholar and healer; Iridescent, the merchant; and even the hatchlings, who were watching the whole precedings from their parents' backs. "Everyone," Waveskimmer whispered. "Eveeryone came out here...for me." Waveskimmer just stood there, surrounded by her clanmates and their well-wishes. Even if she didn't win the competition, Waveskimmer wouldn't have traded that moment for anything, surrounded by the dragons she loved and who loved her.

14560408_350.png

"You ready sis?" Shimmerglow asked as he packed the Charged Tungsten.

Waveskimmer zipped up her suit. "Ready as I'll ever be."

They flew to the presentation warehouse, where many dragons were already setting up their displays. Waveskimmer and Shimmerglow ignored them all and headed straight for the stage at the far end of the warehouse. At the end of the judging period the judges would use that stage to announce the winners of the contest. Right now Waveskimmer was going to use it to stage her live demonstration of her invention.

Waveskimmer adjusted her suit. It was a beautiful thing, made from rippling cloth and plate armor dyed a dark gray. Cyan-colored wires ran across the suit, mimicking the static electricity that was always present on the Stormcatcher's body. The sleeves of the suit extended all the way over her hands and feet, with holes cut out for her claws. The storage container for the electricity was on the tail, adjusted to resemble the spiny structure on the end of the Stormcatcher's tail. Waveskimmer had seen many other dragons designing their inventions in homage to the Stormcatcher as well, so she wouldn't get any points for originality. But she wasn't too worried. Lots of inventions here may look like the Stormcatcher, but how many could actually shoot lightning?

They climbed up to the front of the stage, and from its raised platform they could see all the other fair-goers in the building. "The judges are coming this way," Shimmerglow hissed as he pointed to a group of dragons walking over with clipboards: two Ridgebacks, a Coatl, and an Imperial. There was a microphone at the front of the stage; Waveskimmer grabbed it while Shimmerglow raced to set everything up.

"Hello? Is this thing on?" Waveskimmer asked as she tapped the microphone with a claw. A painful screech burst through the speakers, causing some dragons to cover their ears as all eyes focused on Waveskimmer. "Oh. Okay, it works." she laughed nervously. Come on Waveskimmer, get it together. This is your big chance.

Waveskimmer cleared her throat before continuing. "Anyways, my name is Waveskimmer. I'm from the Clan of Roaring Waters in Tsunami Flats. That's in the Sea of a Thousand Currents, for those of you who don't know." The crowd stared impassively, a few beginning to whisper what a random Imperial was doing onstage. You're rambling, Waveskimmer. Get to the point already. "So I was raised in the Tidelord's domain, but I was born here, in the Shifting Expanse. So for my invention I decided to combine both parts of my heritage to create something every dragon can use. I'm wearing it right now, actually." Waveskimmer had folded in on herself while she was speaking; now she unfurled herself to her full length to show off her suit. "I call it...the Electrabsorb Suit." She'd just came up with the name last night. "It can absorb any and all lightning attacks thrown at it with ease while leaving the wearer unharmed, it can be tailored to fit any dragon perfectly, and it can come in a variety of colors and designs, including designs based on everyone's favorite Bossman, the Stormcatcher!" Now that she was talking about her invention instead of her herself, Waveskimmer grew in confidence. "This suit can help so many dragons! Water, Ice, and Light dragons will never have to fear the Golem Workshop ever again! Dragons working on the Lightning Farms won't have to worry about strikes of lightning. And that's not even scratching the surface! Who knows what other uses we could find for this suit? But enough of me talking your ears off," she said. "I'm sure you all would much rather see a live demonstration of what this suit can do."

Waveskimmer pulled the hood of the suit over her head. It resembled the Stormcatcher's face of course, and the copper coils had been shaped to match the frill that ran down the deity's head and neck. "Ready?" she shouted to Shimmerglow, who was standing across the stage from her.

Shimmerglow knocked the pieces of Charged Tungsten in his hands together. "Ready."

Waveskimmer nodded and turned so that the audience would have a good view. "Then let it fire."

Shimmerglow rubbed the Charged Tungsten together while filling them up with his own Lightning magic, letting the static electricity build up before slowly pulling them apart. A large orb of electric energy formed between the two pieces, growing bigger and bigger as Shimmerglow few more power into it. Finally, with only a moment's hesitation, he launched the giant Shock Bolt straight at Waveskimmer. There was a flash of light, and a thunderous BOOM echoed throughout the building. Some dragons screamed and covered their eyes. Even for a Lightning dragon, that had to be painful.

The smoke cleared, and everyone could see Waveskimmer slowly walk over to the microphone, her suit - especially the tail end - sparkling with electricity. With one hand she gripped the microphone stand tightly, and with the other she pulled her hood back, revealing herself as perfectly unharmed. "What did I tell you?" she shouted as the crowd cheered its approval.

Waveskimmer grinned. That Shock Bolt had been the biggest one she'd ever seen, and she's barely felt more than a tickle. "But there's more to it than that," she continued once the cheers died down. "Not only does this suit protect you from Lightning attacks, it also stores this energy for later use. What kind of use, you may ask? Well, there's recharging batteries, powering gizmos, and running generators, for starters. But there's also another thing you can do with this power." While she was speaking, Shimmerglow had put away the tungsten and set up a wooden target with a bull's eye drawn on it. Now Waveskimmer moved so she was standing ten feet in front of it. Waveskimmer took a deep breath. This was the hard part. She'd done some testing on the original prototype before, but with this suit she'd build from scrap pieces in a week... No. Focus, Waveskimmer. You can do this.

Two thin circles of tungsten encased in metal rings were set into the sleeves over Waveskimmer's palms. Waveskimmer rubbed her palms together, letting the electricity stored in the tail flow into her hands. Charged Tungsten may be a terrible power source, but it made an excellent conductor. Waveskimmer was aware of the electricity around her, feeling the way it flowed into her hands and the raw power it contained, she contained. Is this how dragons with actual Lightning magic feel? she wondered.

Slowly she pulled her palms apart, letting the electricity shape itself into an orb. With a sudden, cathartic scream, Waveskimmer launched a perfect Shock Bolt at the target. There was a flash of light, and a thunderous BOOM. There was no sign of the wooden target anywhere, only a scorched spot on the stage where it once stood.

The crowd cheered, and Waveskimmer found herself swept up by a wave of dragons who wanted to speak to her. There was a Lightning Coatl who asked her how much energy could be stored in her suit, a wealthy Ice Pearlcatcher couple who wanted to know when they could buy suits of their own, a few Light Snappers who asked if they could study her designs, and so many dragons, all of them asking questions and giving congratulations.

Shimmerglow pushed his way in front of the crowd and gave her a huge hug. "I knew you could it!" he shouted over the noise. A pink Spiral with dark blue eyes nodded. "Yep! We never doubted you for a second!"

Waveskimmer stared at her. "Odette...?" Odette was the nanny of the clan, who looked after all the hatchlings. What was she doing here?

A jade-colored Guardian with crimson wings pushed her way forward. "Yes. We heard that they would be judging the inventions today, so we thought we'd come out here to see you," said Radiance, the clan founder and matriarch.

"The whole clan came out to support you!" added Obsidian, a dark-colored Ridgeback.

Waveskimmer looked around. Now she could recognize her clanmates - there was Gleaming, the head hunter and trainer; Thistlepuff, the scholar and healer; Iridescent, the merchant; and even the hatchlings, who were watching the whole precedings from their parents' backs. "Everyone," Waveskimmer whispered. "Eveeryone came out here...for me." Waveskimmer just stood there, surrounded by her clanmates and their well-wishes. Even if she didn't win the competition, Waveskimmer wouldn't have traded that moment for anything, surrounded by the dragons she loved and who loved her.
Na5WGHa.png
A few dragons had walked by over the day and taken an interest in Myzrin’s creation, a few had asked questions, leading to the Coatl to refer to the diagrams as she responded. Many seemed preoccupied in their own affairs however, and they were largely undisturbed.

While Molerince apologised for any wasted time to the translator, who reassured her it was no trouble, Myzrin assessed her surroundings for the third time in an hour.

Now was her moment. Now was the time for Myzrin to present. To explain her creation and how it might bring benefit. The Coatl had scanned the area and observed that all the judges were present and within a satisfactory range.

She had actually verged on boredom at times, perhaps the Coatl shouldn’t have been so dedicated to her post. While Molerince had taken a wander on occasion, chattering with members of her birth-clan who arrived towards the evening. Apprently Belttissa had been enjoying some of the entries with an emphasis on lighting, and hence, were to be appreciated optimally in darkness.
Myzrin herself had managed to acquire some relatively clean parchment to jot down ideas and sketch preliminary designs on for when she felt so inclined. If she came to an event such as this again, the Coatl resolved herself to bring such resources herself.

Myzrin looked at her translator, who nodded at her silent query as to their readiness. She was taking the chance that the general noise of the crowd would be satisfactorily permeable to make the move worthwhile.
It was time to increase the pressure on her competition. The Coatl inventor’s plumage flared a touch as she was about to begin.

‘Fellow engineers, loathe as I am to bring up the error which many of us have suffered because of, from myself to our gracious hosts, today I concern myself with matters of transport.
‘However, are not errors meant to fuel further advancement?
‘I do not promise a miracle. I promise a step forward, from which I hope many will follow. I offer to you: my craft.’
It was an odd choice of words, on the ambiguous side in either language. Fortunately the translator whose help had been enlisted proved admirable in deciding upon the most fitting and analogous way to express Myzrin’s words in traditional draconic.

The Coatl’s entry, on cue, was powered up (leaving it online constantly through the entire day would have been a dire waste of energy), the interior, which Myzrin sat within as voluntary test-pilot, was illuminated by lamps installed within and a couple of exterior lights activated, at a low setting to avoid unnecessary dazzling of audience members. As she was larger than a Pearlcatcher, she had to coil her tail close, fold her wings smaller than accustomed and almost duck to avoid pushing her face against the frame. The discomfort didn’t matter. Her invention needed a test run.
It took a couple of steps on the spot, warming up.

Her emphasis on practicality made Myzrin disinclined to overly self-indulgent or flamboyant naming. So on one level, she was calling it simply what it was: a work of her own; she also offered her skill as an inventor and yes, it may also seem she was identifying it as a vehicle which belonged to her, but that was not the sentiment she intended emphasis on.

‘I also do not claim this to be some final upgrade. As we develop better methods for navigation and predicting meteorological events, these may be incorporated into the craft. Advancing as we do.’

A respectable amount of space had cleared in the room around Myzrin’s presentation. Convenient. She was able to better demonstrate the stability of its walk-cycle and manoeuvrability as the neighbouring tables, by which dedicated attendees guarded their work, weren’t even clipped by the craft’s passing.

‘It is my vision to ease passage between the realms. Those who’d traverse the depths of Water clan trade routes, ford the lava flows to greet diplomats of Fire, may find such tasks within their reach. With suitable modification, it should have a veritable degree of potential use.

‘It should be apparent, however, that this is merely a prototype. It has yet to be fully equipped to…fly.’
Myzrin’s stoic expression made her meaning difficult to judge at times.

Her craft was brought to a halt back in its place beside her table. The Coatl then remembered a piece of advice that virtually everyone she’d practiced with had suggested she remember:
‘Thank you for your attention. I hope you enjoy the rest of the faire.’

At the very least, Molerince had enjoyed seeing the entry in action, until she was struck by a thought:
‘Do you think Lord Stormcatcher might actually appear?’ The Wildclaw looked positively terrified. Myzrin blinked. She knew that Molerince hated being shouted at, that provided one possible theory for her leaving the Shifting Expanse.
‘A God does not need to be present to know what occurs in His domain.’ The translator told Molerince Myzrin’s reply.
‘Oh…’ The thought wasn’t entirely a comforting one.

Myzrin waited for attention to die down before disengaging herself from her invention. It was not going to be any more comfortable or dignified than it had been getting in in the first place.
A few dragons had walked by over the day and taken an interest in Myzrin’s creation, a few had asked questions, leading to the Coatl to refer to the diagrams as she responded. Many seemed preoccupied in their own affairs however, and they were largely undisturbed.

While Molerince apologised for any wasted time to the translator, who reassured her it was no trouble, Myzrin assessed her surroundings for the third time in an hour.

Now was her moment. Now was the time for Myzrin to present. To explain her creation and how it might bring benefit. The Coatl had scanned the area and observed that all the judges were present and within a satisfactory range.

She had actually verged on boredom at times, perhaps the Coatl shouldn’t have been so dedicated to her post. While Molerince had taken a wander on occasion, chattering with members of her birth-clan who arrived towards the evening. Apprently Belttissa had been enjoying some of the entries with an emphasis on lighting, and hence, were to be appreciated optimally in darkness.
Myzrin herself had managed to acquire some relatively clean parchment to jot down ideas and sketch preliminary designs on for when she felt so inclined. If she came to an event such as this again, the Coatl resolved herself to bring such resources herself.

Myzrin looked at her translator, who nodded at her silent query as to their readiness. She was taking the chance that the general noise of the crowd would be satisfactorily permeable to make the move worthwhile.
It was time to increase the pressure on her competition. The Coatl inventor’s plumage flared a touch as she was about to begin.

‘Fellow engineers, loathe as I am to bring up the error which many of us have suffered because of, from myself to our gracious hosts, today I concern myself with matters of transport.
‘However, are not errors meant to fuel further advancement?
‘I do not promise a miracle. I promise a step forward, from which I hope many will follow. I offer to you: my craft.’
It was an odd choice of words, on the ambiguous side in either language. Fortunately the translator whose help had been enlisted proved admirable in deciding upon the most fitting and analogous way to express Myzrin’s words in traditional draconic.

The Coatl’s entry, on cue, was powered up (leaving it online constantly through the entire day would have been a dire waste of energy), the interior, which Myzrin sat within as voluntary test-pilot, was illuminated by lamps installed within and a couple of exterior lights activated, at a low setting to avoid unnecessary dazzling of audience members. As she was larger than a Pearlcatcher, she had to coil her tail close, fold her wings smaller than accustomed and almost duck to avoid pushing her face against the frame. The discomfort didn’t matter. Her invention needed a test run.
It took a couple of steps on the spot, warming up.

Her emphasis on practicality made Myzrin disinclined to overly self-indulgent or flamboyant naming. So on one level, she was calling it simply what it was: a work of her own; she also offered her skill as an inventor and yes, it may also seem she was identifying it as a vehicle which belonged to her, but that was not the sentiment she intended emphasis on.

‘I also do not claim this to be some final upgrade. As we develop better methods for navigation and predicting meteorological events, these may be incorporated into the craft. Advancing as we do.’

A respectable amount of space had cleared in the room around Myzrin’s presentation. Convenient. She was able to better demonstrate the stability of its walk-cycle and manoeuvrability as the neighbouring tables, by which dedicated attendees guarded their work, weren’t even clipped by the craft’s passing.

‘It is my vision to ease passage between the realms. Those who’d traverse the depths of Water clan trade routes, ford the lava flows to greet diplomats of Fire, may find such tasks within their reach. With suitable modification, it should have a veritable degree of potential use.

‘It should be apparent, however, that this is merely a prototype. It has yet to be fully equipped to…fly.’
Myzrin’s stoic expression made her meaning difficult to judge at times.

Her craft was brought to a halt back in its place beside her table. The Coatl then remembered a piece of advice that virtually everyone she’d practiced with had suggested she remember:
‘Thank you for your attention. I hope you enjoy the rest of the faire.’

At the very least, Molerince had enjoyed seeing the entry in action, until she was struck by a thought:
‘Do you think Lord Stormcatcher might actually appear?’ The Wildclaw looked positively terrified. Myzrin blinked. She knew that Molerince hated being shouted at, that provided one possible theory for her leaving the Shifting Expanse.
‘A God does not need to be present to know what occurs in His domain.’ The translator told Molerince Myzrin’s reply.
‘Oh…’ The thought wasn’t entirely a comforting one.

Myzrin waited for attention to die down before disengaging herself from her invention. It was not going to be any more comfortable or dignified than it had been getting in in the first place.
thvaFIy.gif merrilyn_stanzascale_100_by_dragonnmr-daepisq.gif Al57MeZ.pngpczVZcg.png5VYqqm9.pngPGOToAl.png CNCiTkT.png 2uXjxgw.png
Dawn grinned, as she looked over her invention, checking the bolts and wires, making sure the casing was just so. It had turned out great, despite all the setbacks along the way.

It wasn't exactly the beast she'd come in with, but there was something charming, adorable really, about the end result. The display table would reflect that. A handful of simple objects and functions slowly being programmed in over the last bits of the morning. It could fetch, interact "autonomously" with items it was allowed to do so with (it's idle state was to lay on its back, batting at a dangling string threaded with spare nuts and weighted with jingling bolts.

The display was minimal, Dawn's work was on the sky-cat, and it stood without embellishment. Regardless of the outcome, Dawn felt herself the winner. For the first time in ages, she'd made something that was more "fun" than "needed". She'd forgotten what it felt like to look upon a creation not merely as an inventor would a tool, but as a parent might a child.

It was hers, and she was immensely proud of it. She decided, as she watched the hustle and bustle of the judging, of everyone else's inventions, that there would never be a 2.0 of that model. Not from her claws, at least.

[Thank you for this event, and good luck to all participants! It's been a blast following along with your stories.]
Dawn grinned, as she looked over her invention, checking the bolts and wires, making sure the casing was just so. It had turned out great, despite all the setbacks along the way.

It wasn't exactly the beast she'd come in with, but there was something charming, adorable really, about the end result. The display table would reflect that. A handful of simple objects and functions slowly being programmed in over the last bits of the morning. It could fetch, interact "autonomously" with items it was allowed to do so with (it's idle state was to lay on its back, batting at a dangling string threaded with spare nuts and weighted with jingling bolts.

The display was minimal, Dawn's work was on the sky-cat, and it stood without embellishment. Regardless of the outcome, Dawn felt herself the winner. For the first time in ages, she'd made something that was more "fun" than "needed". She'd forgotten what it felt like to look upon a creation not merely as an inventor would a tool, but as a parent might a child.

It was hers, and she was immensely proud of it. She decided, as she watched the hustle and bustle of the judging, of everyone else's inventions, that there would never be a 2.0 of that model. Not from her claws, at least.

[Thank you for this event, and good luck to all participants! It's been a blast following along with your stories.]
[center][b]Day 8[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8104583][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/81046/8104583.png[/img][/url][/center] Qamar swears he [i]intented[/i] to go to sleep early, but then he noticed the controlling bracelet needed some fixing, and realized that he could still refine the programming quite a bit, and make the golem's appearance more appealing, and... well. Even after Qamar left the building (reluctantly, and only when a staff member came to tell him that otherwise he'd be locked inside), he spent the better part of the night honing the programming and designing the outer appearance of the golem. It was much better use for his time than sleeping. He could sleep for a week when he got back to his clan, but he has better things to do now. Besides, he isn't tired as he approaches the Faire building. He still has some work to do, and then there would be the judging, and announcement of the results... The weariness would come later, in the evening maybe, when he's packing up his stuff and preparing to leave - but that's a thing he'll worry about when he gets there. Since Qamar knows exactly what he's doing, it barely takes him an hour to implement the last-minute improvements and additions. When he's ready, the skycat-golem is wearing a full set of bronze steampunk apparel, which makes his choice of framework material less visible, and can react to at least a dozen different commands. The algorithms should allow it to learn even more with some time. Qamar straightens its scarf. Who knew he'd find such good use for the Fae-sized apparel he stumbled upon when he was looking for the nuts and bolts. The judging is apparently about to begin, but Qamar seems to be on the far side of the hall from where the judges are starting, so he still has time to do something to his stand. First of all, he cleans all the spare bits and pieces from the table. The golem isn't exactly helping; it repeatedly nestles itself in one of the cardboard boxes, even though Qamar lifts it to stand on the table every time. "I am not going to display you in a box," Qamar mutters to the golem. It registers his speech judging by the blink of its LED-eyes, but doesn't make a move to get up. Qamar sighs and puts his handful of bolts into another box. Then he looks around. It only occurred to him this morning that he might need some decorations for his stand. This far he's been occupied with other things, but as he sees everybody else making such an effort, Qamar realizes his own table is very bland in comparison. He certainly doesn't want to look bland in any way, but he's also not an artist. Maybe he could... [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8245014][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/82451/8245014.png[/img][/url] "Qamar!" The Coatl's head snaps up as he hears a familiar voice, and he immediately spots a purple, enthusiastic-looking Imperial. "Neema? How... how come you're here?" Qamar asks incredulously. "I came to see how you are doing, of course!" Neema announces happily. "Zephyr had some business around here, so I tagged along. It took us days to get here, Zephyr stopped so many times on the way to trade things... I was afraid we wouldn't make it in time, but luckily he really knew what he was doing. Today's the judging day, right? Has our thing already been judged?" Qamar is honestly a bit overwhelmed by Neema's flood of words, and almost misses some parts of her rapid speech, but it's good to see her. However, he really doesn't know how to explain the past week to Neema without freaking her out. "It.. hasn't been judged. Come here, you're in the way if you're standing there," Qamar notes as some dragons are milling around behind Neema, who's standing in the middle of the corridor. "Come- no, not [i]you[/i]!" Yes, 'come here' is one of the commands the golem knows. Apparently it just can't distinguish whether the words are meant for it or not. "What's that?" Neema immediately asks and leans down to inspect the thing. "It's..." Qamar motions helplessly with his paws. "It's a thing I built from.. scraps. During the week. The navigator got lost." Qamar thinks there's some irony in that. Neema, however, looks positively horrified, and Qamar hurries to appease her. He recounts the events of the past week, and at the same time they work together on the decorations of his stall. They get him a clean white tablecloth, and a large banner adorned with some LEDs, gears and wires glued to it. Neema manages to get the Skycat-golem to actually pose on the table instead of hibernating among the spare parts. Now, all they need to do is wait for the judges. Neema is still somewhat worried about the fate of their original invention, but Qamar finds that he's really not that concerned. If it's found, good. If not, they can build a better one together. Despite the setbacks Qamar has faced, it has been, in fact, a good week. He's going to miss the Faire building and all the hustle and bustle when he returns home.
Day 8

8104583.png

Qamar swears he intented to go to sleep early, but then he noticed the controlling bracelet needed some fixing, and realized that he could still refine the programming quite a bit, and make the golem's appearance more appealing, and... well. Even after Qamar left the building (reluctantly, and only when a staff member came to tell him that otherwise he'd be locked inside), he spent the better part of the night honing the programming and designing the outer appearance of the golem. It was much better use for his time than sleeping. He could sleep for a week when he got back to his clan, but he has better things to do now. Besides, he isn't tired as he approaches the Faire building. He still has some work to do, and then there would be the judging, and announcement of the results... The weariness would come later, in the evening maybe, when he's packing up his stuff and preparing to leave - but that's a thing he'll worry about when he gets there.

Since Qamar knows exactly what he's doing, it barely takes him an hour to implement the last-minute improvements and additions. When he's ready, the skycat-golem is wearing a full set of bronze steampunk apparel, which makes his choice of framework material less visible, and can react to at least a dozen different commands. The algorithms should allow it to learn even more with some time. Qamar straightens its scarf. Who knew he'd find such good use for the Fae-sized apparel he stumbled upon when he was looking for the nuts and bolts.

The judging is apparently about to begin, but Qamar seems to be on the far side of the hall from where the judges are starting, so he still has time to do something to his stand. First of all, he cleans all the spare bits and pieces from the table. The golem isn't exactly helping; it repeatedly nestles itself in one of the cardboard boxes, even though Qamar lifts it to stand on the table every time.
"I am not going to display you in a box," Qamar mutters to the golem. It registers his speech judging by the blink of its LED-eyes, but doesn't make a move to get up. Qamar sighs and puts his handful of bolts into another box. Then he looks around. It only occurred to him this morning that he might need some decorations for his stand. This far he's been occupied with other things, but as he sees everybody else making such an effort, Qamar realizes his own table is very bland in comparison. He certainly doesn't want to look bland in any way, but he's also not an artist. Maybe he could...

8245014.png

"Qamar!"
The Coatl's head snaps up as he hears a familiar voice, and he immediately spots a purple, enthusiastic-looking Imperial.
"Neema? How... how come you're here?" Qamar asks incredulously.
"I came to see how you are doing, of course!" Neema announces happily. "Zephyr had some business around here, so I tagged along. It took us days to get here, Zephyr stopped so many times on the way to trade things... I was afraid we wouldn't make it in time, but luckily he really knew what he was doing. Today's the judging day, right? Has our thing already been judged?"
Qamar is honestly a bit overwhelmed by Neema's flood of words, and almost misses some parts of her rapid speech, but it's good to see her. However, he really doesn't know how to explain the past week to Neema without freaking her out.
"It.. hasn't been judged. Come here, you're in the way if you're standing there," Qamar notes as some dragons are milling around behind Neema, who's standing in the middle of the corridor. "Come- no, not you!"
Yes, 'come here' is one of the commands the golem knows. Apparently it just can't distinguish whether the words are meant for it or not.
"What's that?" Neema immediately asks and leans down to inspect the thing.
"It's..." Qamar motions helplessly with his paws. "It's a thing I built from.. scraps. During the week. The navigator got lost."
Qamar thinks there's some irony in that. Neema, however, looks positively horrified, and Qamar hurries to appease her. He recounts the events of the past week, and at the same time they work together on the decorations of his stall. They get him a clean white tablecloth, and a large banner adorned with some LEDs, gears and wires glued to it. Neema manages to get the Skycat-golem to actually pose on the table instead of hibernating among the spare parts. Now, all they need to do is wait for the judges. Neema is still somewhat worried about the fate of their original invention, but Qamar finds that he's really not that concerned. If it's found, good. If not, they can build a better one together.

Despite the setbacks Qamar has faced, it has been, in fact, a good week. He's going to miss the Faire building and all the hustle and bustle when he returns home.
Their invention was finished! Ed was driving it, and Toby was clinging on for dear life. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8928540] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/89286/8928540_350.png[/img] [/url] "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" Ed shouted, nearly running down three dragons. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9605046] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/96051/9605046_350.png[/img] [/url] "SORRY, SHE'S NOT USUALLY LIKE THIS!" Toby shouted at them. "...she's usually worse," he muttered under his breath. "Ed, we're not supposed to be moving it around, we're supposed to keep it still so the judges can examine it," he told her. "Also if you keep swerving like that I'm going to be very ill. It can't be good for our power source either. Remember the jellyfish?" Their glass tanks with the electric stingers in them, mounted on the back of the vehicle, did look very striking, he had to admit. "FINE, FINE, we'll go back to our [i]place[/i] and [i]wait[/i] for the [i]judges[/i] to --" "WATCH OUT FOR THAT HATCHLING!" Toby shouted. Ed slammed on the brakes, but momentum knocked them off the front of the vehicle. Toby managed to spread his wings and land gracefully but Ed ended up in a heap. "Ow," she said, standing up shakily. "I told you we should have put in seat belts or something," said Toby. "...yes, probably. We should do that before the judges have a look at our invention," she said. She took a few steps, then spread her wings. "Nothing broken, though! Agh, I think I sprained something, though." "I'll take a look at it later; can you get back on?" he asked. "I'll manage," she said, and clambered up unsteadily. "[i]I'll[/i] drive the rest of the way," he said, leaping back up onto the vehicle and taking the wheel.
Their invention was finished! Ed was driving it, and Toby was clinging on for dear life.

8928540_350.png

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" Ed shouted, nearly running down three dragons.

9605046_350.png

"SORRY, SHE'S NOT USUALLY LIKE THIS!" Toby shouted at them. "...she's usually worse," he muttered under his breath. "Ed, we're not supposed to be moving it around, we're supposed to keep it still so the judges can examine it," he told her. "Also if you keep swerving like that I'm going to be very ill. It can't be good for our power source either. Remember the jellyfish?" Their glass tanks with the electric stingers in them, mounted on the back of the vehicle, did look very striking, he had to admit.

"FINE, FINE, we'll go back to our place and wait for the judges to --"

"WATCH OUT FOR THAT HATCHLING!" Toby shouted.

Ed slammed on the brakes, but momentum knocked them off the front of the vehicle. Toby managed to spread his wings and land gracefully but Ed ended up in a heap. "Ow," she said, standing up shakily.

"I told you we should have put in seat belts or something," said Toby.

"...yes, probably. We should do that before the judges have a look at our invention," she said. She took a few steps, then spread her wings. "Nothing broken, though! Agh, I think I sprained something, though."

"I'll take a look at it later; can you get back on?" he asked.

"I'll manage," she said, and clambered up unsteadily.

"I'll drive the rest of the way," he said, leaping back up onto the vehicle and taking the wheel.
xmas%20in%20july%20badge.gifcryotherapy%20badge.gif
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10355261] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/103553/10355261_350.png[/img] [/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=10777753] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/107778/10777753_350.png[/img] [/url] Having arrived at the main hall of the faire Rivendell and Athos quickly head for their assigned table and begin unpacking their display pieces and unfurling a banner proclaiming the name of the finished invention. "Coffee Cat? Really Athos? I thought you said you had picked out a good name for him. This isn't original or creative at all." Rivendell groaned as he surveyed the banner his taller companion was hanging above their heads. "It's a perfectly good name." The wildclaw insisted. "He's a cat, sort of, and he does make coffee. And besides mate. Coffee Cat isn't his name.. that's just what he is or does or makes... whatever. His [i]name[/i] is Java" [i]Well the name is cute[/i], Rivendell can admit that if only in the privacy of his own head, [i]and appropriate as well. This last time I'll let Athos get his own way. [/i] Shrugging in defeat he points to the next box to be unpacked. "We'll put that on a stand behind him and then arrange these just over to the left. That small box should be opened and put to the front of the table." ========== Some time later the two have their tabletop display arranged to their satisfaction. Behind the small golem sits an elaborate coffee maker and milk steamer with an array of coffee beans, tea leaves and flavoured syrups. To the left of the machine is a large stack of mugs and a pastry filled tray sits near the front of the table. The pastry was courtesy of Athos who was, as he put it, [i]not above a bit of bribery mate[/i]. All of this solely to show of the barista skills Rivendell painstakingly programmed into the small cat shaped Golem. As the first curious dragon approaches Rivendell darts forward to intercept and explain the functions of the little skycat. The elderly Imperial listens in apparent interest as Rivendell explains that the Coffee Cat golem is specially programed to make high quality caffeinated beverages to match any taste. Pausing in his explanation he nods agreeably as Athos interjects that his name is not Coffee Cat but Java. Continuing on Rivendell mentions Java's grammar algorithms, pre-programmed commands and the software and memory that will allow him to learn from and remember any information. As his speech comes to a close, the Imperial nods and the finally speaks. "Well, that is a very impressive invention for your first time here at he faire. I just have one question for you boys. Is the coffee that golem makes any good? If so, I'll take a cup. Two sugar, no milk. Nothing fancy you hear." Rivendell looked at Athos in abject horror. With all the rush of getting Java ready, procuring supplies and then programming him, he had forgotten to run him through any tests. With thoughts of jets scalding water flying everywhere or Java somehow poisoning some dragon running through Rivendell's head, he slowly turned towards his invention. [i]For the love of Stormcatcher please work[/i], he thought, [i]and please don't poison or otherwise injure someone. [/i] The two friends held their breath as Rivendell turned to the little golem. "Ahem, ok. Umm... Java. Make this gentleman a cup of coffee. With two sugars. And um.. no milk?" There was a pause as the sky cat (coffee cat) golem's electric blue eyes lit up and then it tilted its head at the watching dragons. Letting out a slight noise it moved over to the coffee maker and began pulling the necessary levers. A few tense moments later it picked up the specially designed mug and delivered it to the waiting dragon. 'So, as you can see he does make coffee. And delivers it. The mugs are my own design, they have a carrying handle and are no spill, so he can deliver hot beverages without spilling. Also cold drinks. Like Iced coffee... Oh! He can fly as well! For long distance deliveries, that way no busy dragon will ever have to leave their workspace. The Boss isn't overly fond of coffee breaks you know. There was a whole thing with him shutting off power to break-rooms a while back...." Rivendell trailed off nervously as he watched the older Imperial sip at the mug held between his front paws. "Pastry?" The Imperial closed his eyes as he sipped his coffee and tilting his head to one side he looked down at the mug and then over to the small golem. "Well boys, this isn't half bad. Good job. And I'll take one of those pastries too." Picking up a pastry the Imperial turned and headed further up the aisle towards a table with a small tree on it. "Wow. Good thing that worked, eh mate? I was worried for a minute. Seemed like you were starting to panic a bit there." Athos smiled approvingly at his friend. "You held it together pretty good though. I'm going to go take a look around, see if there might be some ideas worth liberating for next year." Rivendell watched his friend head off into the crowd with bemusement. Sure his invention might not be groundbreaking and it wasn't about to bring about a better life for all dragon-kind, but the coffee addicted workaholics in his clan would be pleased. As would The Boss, after all with Java taking over coffee making duties the whole clan would be more productive. Settlling in beside his table Rivendell directed Java to provide drinks to passing dragons and waited for the judges to arrive. This may not be exactly what he had intended for his invention but it was close enough to his original design. All in all he was fairly satisfied with his first experience with the Faire, and would probably return next year. He just wouldn't be bringing Athos. [i]Flighty Wildclaw, really he's more trouble than he's worth[/i], Rivendell thought fondly. ( @Stormdragon Wow, I actually completed all 7 days! Just wanted to say I enjoyed this [i]and[/i] my first awkward attempt at Roleplay! It's been fun!)

10355261_350.png

10777753_350.png

Having arrived at the main hall of the faire Rivendell and Athos quickly head for their assigned table and begin unpacking their display pieces and unfurling a banner proclaiming the name of the finished invention.

"Coffee Cat? Really Athos? I thought you said you had picked out a good name for him. This isn't original or creative at all." Rivendell groaned as he surveyed the banner his taller companion was hanging above their heads.

"It's a perfectly good name." The wildclaw insisted. "He's a cat, sort of, and he does make coffee. And besides mate. Coffee Cat isn't his name.. that's just what he is or does or makes... whatever. His name is Java"

Well the name is cute, Rivendell can admit that if only in the privacy of his own head, and appropriate as well. This last time I'll let Athos get his own way. Shrugging in defeat he points to the next box to be unpacked. "We'll put that on a stand behind him and then arrange these just over to the left. That small box should be opened and put to the front of the table."

==========

Some time later the two have their tabletop display arranged to their satisfaction. Behind the small golem sits an elaborate coffee maker and milk steamer with an array of coffee beans, tea leaves and flavoured syrups. To the left of the machine is a large stack of mugs and a pastry filled tray sits near the front of the table. The pastry was courtesy of Athos who was, as he put it, not above a bit of bribery mate. All of this solely to show of the barista skills Rivendell painstakingly programmed into the small cat shaped Golem.

As the first curious dragon approaches Rivendell darts forward to intercept and explain the functions of the little skycat. The elderly Imperial listens in apparent interest as Rivendell explains that the Coffee Cat golem is specially programed to make high quality caffeinated beverages to match any taste. Pausing in his explanation he nods agreeably as Athos interjects that his name is not Coffee Cat but Java. Continuing on Rivendell mentions Java's grammar algorithms, pre-programmed commands and the software and memory that will allow him to learn from and remember any information.

As his speech comes to a close, the Imperial nods and the finally speaks. "Well, that is a very impressive invention for your first time here at he faire. I just have one question for you boys. Is the coffee that golem makes any good? If so, I'll take a cup. Two sugar, no milk. Nothing fancy you hear."

Rivendell looked at Athos in abject horror. With all the rush of getting Java ready, procuring supplies and then programming him, he had forgotten to run him through any tests. With thoughts of jets scalding water flying everywhere or Java somehow poisoning some dragon running through Rivendell's head, he slowly turned towards his invention. For the love of Stormcatcher please work, he thought, and please don't poison or otherwise injure someone.

The two friends held their breath as Rivendell turned to the little golem. "Ahem, ok. Umm... Java. Make this gentleman a cup of coffee. With two sugars. And um.. no milk?"

There was a pause as the sky cat (coffee cat) golem's electric blue eyes lit up and then it tilted its head at the watching dragons. Letting out a slight noise it moved over to the coffee maker and began pulling the necessary levers. A few tense moments later it picked up the specially designed mug and delivered it to the waiting dragon.

'So, as you can see he does make coffee. And delivers it. The mugs are my own design, they have a carrying handle and are no spill, so he can deliver hot beverages without spilling. Also cold drinks. Like Iced coffee... Oh! He can fly as well! For long distance deliveries, that way no busy dragon will ever have to leave their workspace. The Boss isn't overly fond of coffee breaks you know. There was a whole thing with him shutting off power to break-rooms a while back...." Rivendell trailed off nervously as he watched the older Imperial sip at the mug held between his front paws. "Pastry?"

The Imperial closed his eyes as he sipped his coffee and tilting his head to one side he looked down at the mug and then over to the small golem. "Well boys, this isn't half bad. Good job. And I'll take one of those pastries too." Picking up a pastry the Imperial turned and headed further up the aisle towards a table with a small tree on it.

"Wow. Good thing that worked, eh mate? I was worried for a minute. Seemed like you were starting to panic a bit there." Athos smiled approvingly at his friend. "You held it together pretty good though. I'm going to go take a look around, see if there might be some ideas worth liberating for next year."

Rivendell watched his friend head off into the crowd with bemusement. Sure his invention might not be groundbreaking and it wasn't about to bring about a better life for all dragon-kind, but the coffee addicted workaholics in his clan would be pleased. As would The Boss, after all with Java taking over coffee making duties the whole clan would be more productive.

Settlling in beside his table Rivendell directed Java to provide drinks to passing dragons and waited for the judges to arrive. This may not be exactly what he had intended for his invention but it was close enough to his original design. All in all he was fairly satisfied with his first experience with the Faire, and would probably return next year. He just wouldn't be bringing Athos. Flighty Wildclaw, really he's more trouble than he's worth, Rivendell thought fondly.

( @Stormdragon Wow, I actually completed all 7 days! Just wanted to say I enjoyed this and my first awkward attempt at Roleplay! It's been fun!)

Stark couldn't hold back a delighted bark of laughter as the Skycat golem came to life, internal gears whirring almost like a purr as it looked up at him. Its LED eyes blinked as he reached out to scratch behind its metal ears.

"Jarvis, we did it!" he said gleefully, grinning at his original Golem.

"Indeed, Sir," Jarvis replied, sounding just as pleased. "Congratulations."

The pair of them had been awake all night working on their project, carefully sculpting the metal into the right shapes and creating a relief design to give the effect of fur and feathers. The last task had been to carefully paint the casing to mimic the colours of the real thing. It looked - well, exactly as Stark had hoped and intended, actually. They hadn't tried to hide the mechanical nature of their creation, but at a glance he was certain it would pass as the real thing.

The Skycat let out a modulating mew, arching its back under Stark's paw to encourage him to continue the petting.

"Thanks, J," Stark said softly - thanking his companion both for his words and for his help over the past week. "We should run tests - pass me the control bracelet, yeah?"

Jarvis fluttered into the air, swooping across to the table where Stark had left the second part of the invention. He was watched closely by the Skycat, and a moment later it slipped out from beneath Stark's paws and took flight. It followed Jarvis across to the table and nosed at the bracelet with interest. Jarvis let out a small, surprised bleep, not expecting to be followed, and Stark snorted in amusement. However, Jarvis recovered quickly, scratching the Skycat's chin as he gently pushed it away so that he could pick up the bracelet.

"It would seem that the Skycat's flight capabilities are fully functional," Jarvis said as he soared back over to Stark and it followed once again.

"It would seem so," Stark said as the cat gave an affirmative sort of meow.

He slipped on the bracelet and the Skycat's ears swivelled, connecting wirelessly to the control interface.

"Skycat?" Stark asked, because making sure it recognised its own ID was probably the most important place to start.

"Mrrw?" it said, LEDs fixing on Stark as it tipped its head to the side inquisitively.

"Excellent!" Stark said. Time to test some slightly more complex programming. He beckoned with both paws. "C'mere."

The Skycat looked at him for a moment, then sat down, stuck one hind leg in the air and bent its head to start rasping its sandpaper tongue over the painted curls of fur.

"Skycat, come here," Stark said firmly, hoping that a more formal instruction would do the trick. No such luck: the Skycat continued to ignore him.

He and Jarvis exchanged a look.

"I guess at least it's realistic feline behaviour," Stark suggested. After all, flesh-and-blood Skycats reputedly never came when called. Hopefully the judges would look favourably on this small flaw because of that.

Jarvis fluttered up to hover beside his head to survey the Skycat. He asked, "Should I power it down and run diagnostics on the programming, Sir?"

"Nah," Stark replied with a shake of his head. There wasn't time: they still needed to get their stall set up. "You just keep an eye on our new friend while I go and make us look impressive."
Jarvis nodded and fixed his gaze on the the Skycat.

"Skycat?" Stark said, and the mechanical creature raised its head, fixing him with a narrow-eyed stare, as if to say How dare you interrupt my wash?! He stared back. "Stay."

It chirrupped and went back to ruining the paintwork on its undercarriage. Which was good enough, Stark decided, and went to set up their stall.

---

It took Stark an hour to get set up. He put the basic Golem blueprints on display - technically Jarvis's, but no one would know as they'd used the same basic structure. He also set up a couple of holographic displays of his own design, showing work-in-progress images he had taken of the Skycat. He also left some of his scribbled notes out on the desk for the judges to see. Finally, he added a map, which would show any interested parties how to find his home Lair if they wanted to contact or commission him after seeing his work at the Faire.

He then went to collect Jarvis and the Skycat. To his delight, the Skycat was in exactly the same spot he had left it.

"Hey, guys!" he called. "Who's a good Skycat?"

The cat jumped to its feet, a thunderous purr vibrating in its chest at the sight of its master - but it didn't move from its place.

"That's right, you are!" Stark crowed, triumphant that the instruction had held. "Come here, you!"

The Skycat leapt into the air and flew over to land on Stark's shoulder, still purring loudly.

"Let's go, Jarvis," Stark said, and his companion also took flight, following him to the stall.

Once there, Stark deposited the cat on the special pedestal he had placed in the centre of the table, and ordered it to stay. He also asked Jarvis to keep an eye on the Skycat, just in case, and engage anyone who stopped by in pleasant conversation.

He himself stepped forward, grinning, and clapped his paws together. "OK, folks - prepare to be impressed and amazed. My name's Stark - yes, you probably have heard of me," he said, winking at a passing Wildclaw who had looked around at hearing the name, "And I'm here to show the world the latest of my inventions."

He stepped back, beckoning the crowd to follow him, and then darting out of the way to reveal the stall - and his creation.

"This, folks, is a perfect working replica of a Skycat - technically a Golem, but practically indistinguishable from the real thing," he announced, and a murmur of interest rippled around the gathered dragons. Stark smirked, enjoying the attention he and his invention were getting, and addressed a couple of dragons individually. "That's right, Ma'am, take a closer look if you want. No, kid, it's definitely mechanical, not the real thing! Anybody want to take a turn with the control bracelet ...?"

From the immediate surge of volunteers he picked out a young Guardian, not much more than a hatchling, who was decked in Steampunk apparel. There was a spark in her Lightning eyes that reminded Stark of himself at that age. He transferred the bracelet onto the young dragon's wrist and handed over control while he provided commentary.

"Now, this might be called a control bracelet, but as you can see, it doesn't mean the Skycat's necessarily going to obey," he said, and there was laughter - even from the Guardian - as the Skycat ignored her instruction to come into her arms. "However, the Golem is capable of learning. The wearer of the bracelet can teach it virtually anything, with some time and patience ..."

Right on cue - as if it had been planned - the Guardian tried again, and this time the Skycat stood, gave Stark a dubious look, and then spread its wings and leaped across to the Guardian.

Internally, Stark punched the air as there was an 'Ooo' from the crowd, followed by an 'Aww' as the Skycat snuggled into the Guardian's neck. He could not have asked for a more perfect demonstration.

"There you have it in action, everybody," Stark grinned. "Any questions ...?"

Several arms shot into the air, a babble of voices rising as they called out to Stark and to each other.

The afternoon continued with a stream of volunteers showcasing the bracelet's functionality, the Skycat learning more and more as the Faire went on, and a variety of enquiries - both about the serious technical statistics and mechanics of the project, and more general points about materials, behaviour and (to Stark's secret delight) availability to buy one of their own. Stark answered each in his usual, flamboyant style, his voice carrying enough to snare the interest of passers by every time he spoke. When the interest waned, he would take a pause to check on his invention, and on Jarvis, then begin his presentation again, drawing a fresh set of dragons to the stall once more ...

((No pic today as I'm on my phone and it doesn't like FR much! @Stormdragon, thank you for hosting such a fantastic event! I've had so much fun with this, it's been brilliant and so creative. :D I've loved reading the different results for each option every day. I know how much effort must have gone into writing this, and I wanted you to know that it's been a joy to read. ^-^
Stark couldn't hold back a delighted bark of laughter as the Skycat golem came to life, internal gears whirring almost like a purr as it looked up at him. Its LED eyes blinked as he reached out to scratch behind its metal ears.

"Jarvis, we did it!" he said gleefully, grinning at his original Golem.

"Indeed, Sir," Jarvis replied, sounding just as pleased. "Congratulations."

The pair of them had been awake all night working on their project, carefully sculpting the metal into the right shapes and creating a relief design to give the effect of fur and feathers. The last task had been to carefully paint the casing to mimic the colours of the real thing. It looked - well, exactly as Stark had hoped and intended, actually. They hadn't tried to hide the mechanical nature of their creation, but at a glance he was certain it would pass as the real thing.

The Skycat let out a modulating mew, arching its back under Stark's paw to encourage him to continue the petting.

"Thanks, J," Stark said softly - thanking his companion both for his words and for his help over the past week. "We should run tests - pass me the control bracelet, yeah?"

Jarvis fluttered into the air, swooping across to the table where Stark had left the second part of the invention. He was watched closely by the Skycat, and a moment later it slipped out from beneath Stark's paws and took flight. It followed Jarvis across to the table and nosed at the bracelet with interest. Jarvis let out a small, surprised bleep, not expecting to be followed, and Stark snorted in amusement. However, Jarvis recovered quickly, scratching the Skycat's chin as he gently pushed it away so that he could pick up the bracelet.

"It would seem that the Skycat's flight capabilities are fully functional," Jarvis said as he soared back over to Stark and it followed once again.

"It would seem so," Stark said as the cat gave an affirmative sort of meow.

He slipped on the bracelet and the Skycat's ears swivelled, connecting wirelessly to the control interface.

"Skycat?" Stark asked, because making sure it recognised its own ID was probably the most important place to start.

"Mrrw?" it said, LEDs fixing on Stark as it tipped its head to the side inquisitively.

"Excellent!" Stark said. Time to test some slightly more complex programming. He beckoned with both paws. "C'mere."

The Skycat looked at him for a moment, then sat down, stuck one hind leg in the air and bent its head to start rasping its sandpaper tongue over the painted curls of fur.

"Skycat, come here," Stark said firmly, hoping that a more formal instruction would do the trick. No such luck: the Skycat continued to ignore him.

He and Jarvis exchanged a look.

"I guess at least it's realistic feline behaviour," Stark suggested. After all, flesh-and-blood Skycats reputedly never came when called. Hopefully the judges would look favourably on this small flaw because of that.

Jarvis fluttered up to hover beside his head to survey the Skycat. He asked, "Should I power it down and run diagnostics on the programming, Sir?"

"Nah," Stark replied with a shake of his head. There wasn't time: they still needed to get their stall set up. "You just keep an eye on our new friend while I go and make us look impressive."
Jarvis nodded and fixed his gaze on the the Skycat.

"Skycat?" Stark said, and the mechanical creature raised its head, fixing him with a narrow-eyed stare, as if to say How dare you interrupt my wash?! He stared back. "Stay."

It chirrupped and went back to ruining the paintwork on its undercarriage. Which was good enough, Stark decided, and went to set up their stall.

---

It took Stark an hour to get set up. He put the basic Golem blueprints on display - technically Jarvis's, but no one would know as they'd used the same basic structure. He also set up a couple of holographic displays of his own design, showing work-in-progress images he had taken of the Skycat. He also left some of his scribbled notes out on the desk for the judges to see. Finally, he added a map, which would show any interested parties how to find his home Lair if they wanted to contact or commission him after seeing his work at the Faire.

He then went to collect Jarvis and the Skycat. To his delight, the Skycat was in exactly the same spot he had left it.

"Hey, guys!" he called. "Who's a good Skycat?"

The cat jumped to its feet, a thunderous purr vibrating in its chest at the sight of its master - but it didn't move from its place.

"That's right, you are!" Stark crowed, triumphant that the instruction had held. "Come here, you!"

The Skycat leapt into the air and flew over to land on Stark's shoulder, still purring loudly.

"Let's go, Jarvis," Stark said, and his companion also took flight, following him to the stall.

Once there, Stark deposited the cat on the special pedestal he had placed in the centre of the table, and ordered it to stay. He also asked Jarvis to keep an eye on the Skycat, just in case, and engage anyone who stopped by in pleasant conversation.

He himself stepped forward, grinning, and clapped his paws together. "OK, folks - prepare to be impressed and amazed. My name's Stark - yes, you probably have heard of me," he said, winking at a passing Wildclaw who had looked around at hearing the name, "And I'm here to show the world the latest of my inventions."

He stepped back, beckoning the crowd to follow him, and then darting out of the way to reveal the stall - and his creation.

"This, folks, is a perfect working replica of a Skycat - technically a Golem, but practically indistinguishable from the real thing," he announced, and a murmur of interest rippled around the gathered dragons. Stark smirked, enjoying the attention he and his invention were getting, and addressed a couple of dragons individually. "That's right, Ma'am, take a closer look if you want. No, kid, it's definitely mechanical, not the real thing! Anybody want to take a turn with the control bracelet ...?"

From the immediate surge of volunteers he picked out a young Guardian, not much more than a hatchling, who was decked in Steampunk apparel. There was a spark in her Lightning eyes that reminded Stark of himself at that age. He transferred the bracelet onto the young dragon's wrist and handed over control while he provided commentary.

"Now, this might be called a control bracelet, but as you can see, it doesn't mean the Skycat's necessarily going to obey," he said, and there was laughter - even from the Guardian - as the Skycat ignored her instruction to come into her arms. "However, the Golem is capable of learning. The wearer of the bracelet can teach it virtually anything, with some time and patience ..."

Right on cue - as if it had been planned - the Guardian tried again, and this time the Skycat stood, gave Stark a dubious look, and then spread its wings and leaped across to the Guardian.

Internally, Stark punched the air as there was an 'Ooo' from the crowd, followed by an 'Aww' as the Skycat snuggled into the Guardian's neck. He could not have asked for a more perfect demonstration.

"There you have it in action, everybody," Stark grinned. "Any questions ...?"

Several arms shot into the air, a babble of voices rising as they called out to Stark and to each other.

The afternoon continued with a stream of volunteers showcasing the bracelet's functionality, the Skycat learning more and more as the Faire went on, and a variety of enquiries - both about the serious technical statistics and mechanics of the project, and more general points about materials, behaviour and (to Stark's secret delight) availability to buy one of their own. Stark answered each in his usual, flamboyant style, his voice carrying enough to snare the interest of passers by every time he spoke. When the interest waned, he would take a pause to check on his invention, and on Jarvis, then begin his presentation again, drawing a fresh set of dragons to the stall once more ...

((No pic today as I'm on my phone and it doesn't like FR much! @Stormdragon, thank you for hosting such a fantastic event! I've had so much fun with this, it's been brilliant and so creative. :D I've loved reading the different results for each option every day. I know how much effort must have gone into writing this, and I wanted you to know that it's been a joy to read. ^-^
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
@Drav @Draconequis [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9605046][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/96051/9605046.png[/img][/url][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8928540][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/89286/8928540.png[/img][/url] Ed spotted a beautiful flying vehicle and a fantastic wheeled vehicle with skulls on the wheels. She was a little jealous, but SCIENCE had no room for jealousy, and she was too impressed to be really upset. "Look at those over there!" she said, wide-eyed. "We should go look at them up close!" she told Toby. "...Yeah, okay," said Toby, taking their heavily-armed armed jellyfishmobile over to the other two. He wondered what sort of trouble Ed was going to get herself into now, but on the other hand, she could probably take care of herself. It was himself he should be worried about. When they were close enough, she leapt easily from their vehicle to the one with the skull wheels, and looked at the two wildclaws. "Hello! May I compliment you on your glorious inventions? My name is Edwina! Your flying vehicle is quite graceful," she told the female wildclaw; "the blending of magic and science achieved here is very well-done, I think! Really the only flaw is that you can't crush your enemies with it. But I suppose you could throw rocks at them from above! Or fire! And," she said, turning to the other wildclaw, "your design is so ingenious! Unfortunately my killjoy partner refused to allow me to use bones in our design, but the effect is magnificent, I think. Also, you are definitely a dragon and not a robot, I'm certain of it!" she added, earnestly. Oh no, Toby thought, watching Ed trying to make friends. He scrabbled after her; the Arcane scientist seemed just fine but there was something offputting about her Water friend which he could not quite put his claw on. He smelled all wrong. Toby smiled with all his teeth at the two, interpolating himself between the male wildclaw and Ed. "Sorry, sorry, don't mean to be rude, I'm Tobiah, this is our invention; my fellow inventor here wanted to see your inventions!"
@Drav @Draconequis

9605046.png8928540.png

Ed spotted a beautiful flying vehicle and a fantastic wheeled vehicle with skulls on the wheels. She was a little jealous, but SCIENCE had no room for jealousy, and she was too impressed to be really upset. "Look at those over there!" she said, wide-eyed. "We should go look at them up close!" she told Toby.

"...Yeah, okay," said Toby, taking their heavily-armed armed jellyfishmobile over to the other two. He wondered what sort of trouble Ed was going to get herself into now, but on the other hand, she could probably take care of herself. It was himself he should be worried about.

When they were close enough, she leapt easily from their vehicle to the one with the skull wheels, and looked at the two wildclaws. "Hello! May I compliment you on your glorious inventions? My name is Edwina! Your flying vehicle is quite graceful," she told the female wildclaw; "the blending of magic and science achieved here is very well-done, I think! Really the only flaw is that you can't crush your enemies with it. But I suppose you could throw rocks at them from above! Or fire! And," she said, turning to the other wildclaw, "your design is so ingenious! Unfortunately my killjoy partner refused to allow me to use bones in our design, but the effect is magnificent, I think. Also, you are definitely a dragon and not a robot, I'm certain of it!" she added, earnestly.

Oh no, Toby thought, watching Ed trying to make friends. He scrabbled after her; the Arcane scientist seemed just fine but there was something offputting about her Water friend which he could not quite put his claw on. He smelled all wrong. Toby smiled with all his teeth at the two, interpolating himself between the male wildclaw and Ed. "Sorry, sorry, don't mean to be rude, I'm Tobiah, this is our invention; my fellow inventor here wanted to see your inventions!"
xmas%20in%20july%20badge.gifcryotherapy%20badge.gif
1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 53 54