Raffles & Giveaways
Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | Writer's Rescue: Lore Galore!
1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 710 711
[center]@Decaffeinated [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48058389] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/480584/48058389_350.png[/img] [/url] (Also uses Azar from my lair) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49224934] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/492250/49224934_350.png[/img] [/url] (688 Words) The fire was edging ever closer. Soon, their entire camp area would be engulfed in flames, the hatchlings remaining in danger. Her tribe was constantly under attack: from rival tribes, sickness, or natural disasters. This time, a wildfire quickly gained ground from a dense forest far away, spreading swiftly to their current residence. Most had already escaped, mothers running with their new hatchlings in tow, followed by the rest of the panicking group. Only a few remained, mostly the sick and injured, waiting for a healthy dragon to return to help them get to safety. Adel, like few others, were among those who were healthy. She and Azar had been working tirelessly to fly injured and sick dragons to the safe place scouts found. They had moved a dragon, who had wings shredded while protecting the rest of the group from a rival attack, unable to fly, as well as two orphaned hatchlings, their father passing before they were born, and their mother in the beginning of the fire. Now, she and Azar were rushing, flying as swiftly as they could, to help yet another dragon to their new safe place, away from the fire, and hopefully away from disaster. Only a few dragons remained at their old home when they reached it, one, the eldest of their group, and another, a sickly hunter. A group of unhatched eggs sat at the edge of the camp, mostly hidden, but not to the fire. It's red flames shone brightly on the eggs' surface, despite it's distance away. Outlines of the hatchlings inside showed, in the still living eggs. Azar ran towards the group of eggs, and Adel followed behind. Only two of the four eggs sitting there remained. One was squashed, more than likely from a dragon rushing past from fear, not paying attention, and the other, broken into by a hungry scavenger. Azar picked up the darker colored of the red eggs in his front claws, and Adele snatched the other, doing the same. The egg lay heavily in her talons, an unknown, innocent life hung in the balance of this fire and it's consequences. As she'd turned around to follow after Azar, she watched as his tail soared out of her sight. Quickly, she followed as best as she could, keeping him in her sights whenever possible. She and Azar weaved throughout the forest for what seemed like hours, dodging stray flames and trying not to let the eggs slip from their grip. As they neared an upcoming mountain, they both began to spiral downward, into a ravine, safely protected by stone. Down below lay the rest of her tribe, waiting for the rest to arrive, and orders as to what to do next. Gently, the two eggs were placed onto makeshift leaf nests for them to temporarily stay in, when more time was able to be invested in making their possible hatching nests of better quality. As Adel placed her egg down, she heard a small cracking sound come from the egg. Another crack, crack, crack, and a large section of the top of the egg fell off, a small dragonling resting underneath. A small Ridgeback, like herself, sat there, a few pieces of eggshell still resting underneath her claws. Curiously, the hatchling poked the chunk of her broken egg, surprised when she broke it into smaller pieces. Looking up, Adel began to wonder where her and her unhatched sibling parents waited. She had figured the parents, or at least one of them, would show themselves once their children were born. To her dismay, no one stepped forward as the hatchlings' parents, deeming the newest hatchlings as orphans, their parents probably killed in the fire. As the edge of the fire began to slowly fade from sight, the tribe began to get to work, settling into their new home and beginning to take care of the tribe's hunger needs, the new hatchling's dilemma aside for now. Adele began to wonder about her tribe's future, and what it would hold not only for her and Azar, but for the hatchlings she had come to like as well. [/center]
@Decaffeinated

48058389_350.png

(Also uses Azar from my lair)

49224934_350.png

(688 Words)
The fire was edging ever closer. Soon, their entire camp area would be engulfed in flames, the hatchlings remaining in danger.
Her tribe was constantly under attack: from rival tribes, sickness, or natural disasters. This time, a wildfire quickly gained ground from a dense forest far away, spreading swiftly to their current residence.
Most had already escaped, mothers running with their new hatchlings in tow, followed by the rest of the panicking group. Only a few remained, mostly the sick and injured, waiting for a healthy dragon to return to help them get to safety.
Adel, like few others, were among those who were healthy. She and Azar had been working tirelessly to fly injured and sick dragons to the safe place scouts found. They had moved a dragon, who had wings shredded while protecting the rest of the group from a rival attack, unable to fly, as well as two orphaned hatchlings, their father passing before they were born, and their mother in the beginning of the fire.
Now, she and Azar were rushing, flying as swiftly as they could, to help yet another dragon to their new safe place, away from the fire, and hopefully away from disaster. Only a few dragons remained at their old home when they reached it, one, the eldest of their group, and another, a sickly hunter. A group of unhatched eggs sat at the edge of the camp, mostly hidden, but not to the fire. It's red flames shone brightly on the eggs' surface, despite it's distance away. Outlines of the hatchlings inside showed, in the still living eggs.
Azar ran towards the group of eggs, and Adel followed behind. Only two of the four eggs sitting there remained. One was squashed, more than likely from a dragon rushing past from fear, not paying attention, and the other, broken into by a hungry scavenger.
Azar picked up the darker colored of the red eggs in his front claws, and Adele snatched the other, doing the same. The egg lay heavily in her talons, an unknown, innocent life hung in the balance of this fire and it's consequences.
As she'd turned around to follow after Azar, she watched as his tail soared out of her sight. Quickly, she followed as best as she could, keeping him in her sights whenever possible.
She and Azar weaved throughout the forest for what seemed like hours, dodging stray flames and trying not to let the eggs slip from their grip. As they neared an upcoming mountain, they both began to spiral downward, into a ravine, safely protected by stone. Down below lay the rest of her tribe, waiting for the rest to arrive, and orders as to what to do next.
Gently, the two eggs were placed onto makeshift leaf nests for them to temporarily stay in, when more time was able to be invested in making their possible hatching nests of better quality.
As Adel placed her egg down, she heard a small cracking sound come from the egg. Another crack, crack, crack, and a large section of the top of the egg fell off, a small dragonling resting underneath. A small Ridgeback, like herself, sat there, a few pieces of eggshell still resting underneath her claws. Curiously, the hatchling poked the chunk of her broken egg, surprised when she broke it into smaller pieces.
Looking up, Adel began to wonder where her and her unhatched sibling parents waited. She had figured the parents, or at least one of them, would show themselves once their children were born. To her dismay, no one stepped forward as the hatchlings' parents, deeming the newest hatchlings as orphans, their parents probably killed in the fire.
As the edge of the fire began to slowly fade from sight, the tribe began to get to work, settling into their new home and beginning to take care of the tribe's hunger needs, the new hatchling's dilemma aside for now.
Adele began to wonder about her tribe's future, and what it would hold not only for her and Azar, but for the hatchlings she had come to like as well.
b71MvYw.png
@MermaidLorelei bump
@MermaidLorelei bump
@Decaffeinated May I put a hold on Gamma, please? [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49299157] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/492992/49299157_350.png[/img] [/url]
@Decaffeinated

May I put a hold on Gamma, please?

49299157_350.png
Ik5UWRW.pnglg4Dhjm.pngsk6EBUK.pngVdIvDLJ.pngKe9i9hi.pngsvyKPF9.png
@mermaidlorelei [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=48000096] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/480001/48000096_350.png[/img] [/url] There's more to this and I'll finish it soon. It's already over 700 words and I have my eye on one more derg in the Hatchery. This is a good place to pause so I'm sending it in. :) ----------- "I'm not invisible," he grumbled as a particular Imperial pretended he didn't exist and kept bumping off of him like a drunken Longneck. She liked to think she was funny. "That's enough." He put a hand on her snout before she bounced off his side again. "I'll pull your whiskers!" Making to yank one of them, she ducked his claw and broke into peals of laughter. "It's the Guardians who say you are!" They were hatched in the same week and grew up together. Familiarity and a little haughtiness made her think she knew something about everything, even when it had to do with other draconic breeds. "I can see your tubby tail just fine." He did not have a fat tail! Idris flared his fins menacingly, which might have frightened a squirrel. A small squirrel, but it made him feel better. "I have to go on my Search," he informed her with utmost dignity. "I'll find what I'm meant to protect and everything will be fine again." Tilting his horns back and nostrils up, he shook out his silky beard. "I should have already left." She gave him a skeptical "you've been saying that for months and moved as much as a boulder" look. "In fact, I'm going now. I just need to pack a few things." "Like what? A warm sweater?" Dara plopped on her immense tail and propped a fist beneath her chin, pretending to be fascinated. "Perhaps." He wouldn't rise to the bait, and ambled into his cave to get a few of his things together. He'd outgrown the living space months ago and part of his tail stuck out. When the weather was good it didn't matter, but it was annoying during the rain. He couldn't bring himself to expand the space or make it more comfortable. With his Search imminent, he knew he wouldn't be able to stay long enough to enjoy it. Heaving a sigh, he raked a few trinkets into a satchel and strapped it around his middle. "A sweater," he grumbled under his breath. "As if I needed a sweater." Perhaps he could guard a lair full of yarn and could learn to knit himself one. If he ended up in the cold lands of the Ice Warden he'd need it. What self respecting Guardian protected yarn? Unless it was still on the animal it didn't wander while unsupervised. That couldn't be it. Guardians protected things like their mates, troves of treasure, sacred places, or something important. Which was part of his problem. All the good things were already taken. He supposed it would be noble if he was to consider a mate the answer to his Search, but that meant finding just the right dragon who he wanted to spend his life with. Following an unwilling dragon around like a pesky sand flea and trying to protect them would be worse than his status as a non entity. Flattening his fins at the idea of someone like Dara being his charge, he suppressed a full body shiver. Backing out of his cave was embarrassing. Dara also hadn't gone away. She took the opportunity to snigger and insisted on being his chatty, obnoxious shadow through the entire flight. She stopped when they came to the edge of their Clan's territory. "Hey!" Following her down to the ground, he took a final look at the only world he'd known since birth. "Yes?" "Wait." Her face scales crinkled in on themselves with confusion. "You're not really leaving? This is your home! You can't!" She could be annoying, but he would miss her every inch as much as his birthplace. Gently bumping the top of his snout against hers, he forced a smile. "I have to. I'm too old. My Search should have started a long time ago. Look after yourself, Dara. Keep the hatchlings out of trouble." "But..." Her lower lip quivered, sending ripples through her elegant whiskers. "I have to," he repeated gently. Rearing upright, he rustled his talons through her mane affectionately and launched himself skyward. If he looked back he knew his heart would falter. He'd turn around for the warmth and safety of home. Those weren't meant for him any more, and he forced himself to keep his eyes on the horizon.
@mermaidlorelei

48000096_350.png

There's more to this and I'll finish it soon. It's already over 700 words and I have my eye on one more derg in the Hatchery. This is a good place to pause so I'm sending it in. :)

"I'm not invisible," he grumbled as a particular Imperial pretended he didn't exist and kept bumping off of him like a drunken Longneck. She liked to think she was funny. "That's enough." He put a hand on her snout before she bounced off his side again. "I'll pull your whiskers!" Making to yank one of them, she ducked his claw and broke into peals of laughter.

"It's the Guardians who say you are!" They were hatched in the same week and grew up together. Familiarity and a little haughtiness made her think she knew something about everything, even when it had to do with other draconic breeds. "I can see your tubby tail just fine."

He did not have a fat tail! Idris flared his fins menacingly, which might have frightened a squirrel. A small squirrel, but it made him feel better. "I have to go on my Search," he informed her with utmost dignity. "I'll find what I'm meant to protect and everything will be fine again." Tilting his horns back and nostrils up, he shook out his silky beard. "I should have already left."

She gave him a skeptical "you've been saying that for months and moved as much as a boulder" look.

"In fact, I'm going now. I just need to pack a few things."

"Like what? A warm sweater?" Dara plopped on her immense tail and propped a fist beneath her chin, pretending to be fascinated.

"Perhaps." He wouldn't rise to the bait, and ambled into his cave to get a few of his things together. He'd outgrown the living space months ago and part of his tail stuck out. When the weather was good it didn't matter, but it was annoying during the rain. He couldn't bring himself to expand the space or make it more comfortable. With his Search imminent, he knew he wouldn't be able to stay long enough to enjoy it. Heaving a sigh, he raked a few trinkets into a satchel and strapped it around his middle.

"A sweater," he grumbled under his breath. "As if I needed a sweater." Perhaps he could guard a lair full of yarn and could learn to knit himself one. If he ended up in the cold lands of the Ice Warden he'd need it.

What self respecting Guardian protected yarn? Unless it was still on the animal it didn't wander while unsupervised. That couldn't be it. Guardians protected things like their mates, troves of treasure, sacred places, or something important. Which was part of his problem. All the good things were already taken. He supposed it would be noble if he was to consider a mate the answer to his Search, but that meant finding just the right dragon who he wanted to spend his life with. Following an unwilling dragon around like a pesky sand flea and trying to protect them would be worse than his status as a non entity. Flattening his fins at the idea of someone like Dara being his charge, he suppressed a full body shiver.

Backing out of his cave was embarrassing. Dara also hadn't gone away. She took the opportunity to snigger and insisted on being his chatty, obnoxious shadow through the entire flight. She stopped when they came to the edge of their Clan's territory. "Hey!"

Following her down to the ground, he took a final look at the only world he'd known since birth. "Yes?"

"Wait." Her face scales crinkled in on themselves with confusion. "You're not really leaving? This is your home! You can't!"

She could be annoying, but he would miss her every inch as much as his birthplace. Gently bumping the top of his snout against hers, he forced a smile. "I have to. I'm too old. My Search should have started a long time ago. Look after yourself, Dara. Keep the hatchlings out of trouble."

"But..." Her lower lip quivered, sending ripples through her elegant whiskers.

"I have to," he repeated gently. Rearing upright, he rustled his talons through her mane affectionately and launched himself skyward. If he looked back he knew his heart would falter. He'd turn around for the warmth and safety of home. Those weren't meant for him any more, and he forced himself to keep his eyes on the horizon.
UbXQ54R.jpg20181024_graphic1_by_death_in_the_orchard-dcqadff.png
@devonakabane How interesting, I haven’t seen an all female clan before.

@whuffie It’s always tough leaving the home you love, but I hope his Search is fruitful!
@devonakabane How interesting, I haven’t seen an all female clan before.

@whuffie It’s always tough leaving the home you love, but I hope his Search is fruitful!
image00.png
@InfernalShepherd your extended hold on the lotto dragon has expired.

@Xayxayx You are now the new winner for Dace! You have 72hrs to write for him.

@AutumnNiche That was a neat short story ^-^i'll send Adel to you in a moment!

@LadyChipmunk Held!
@InfernalShepherd your extended hold on the lotto dragon has expired.

@Xayxayx You are now the new winner for Dace! You have 72hrs to write for him.

@AutumnNiche That was a neat short story ^-^i'll send Adel to you in a moment!

@LadyChipmunk Held!
image00.png
@colorofhardwork Your hold has expired.
@colorofhardwork Your hold has expired.
image00.png
@Decaffeinated [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49299157] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/492992/49299157_350.png[/img] [/url] Gamma loved math. Not the typical hatchling match of 'one for me, three for you' or even the lair math of 'with x number of dragons and these percentages of meat and plants, what kind of hunting do we need to do.' No, Gamma loved the mystery math, the numbers and figures and equations that made the world spin and dictated how high a dragon could fly or how far a rock would be thrown. She loved the math that defined the boundaries of reality. She loved the math that defied them even more. Which is how she got herself in trouble. Equations danced in her head all the time, weaving and twisting and reforming into grander puzzles with every turn. The most amazing of them solidified until they sang, as audible to Gamma as music to her lair mates. A siren call the refused to be ignored. Not that Gamma ever really tried. It was one specific bit of math that haunted her dreams from as far back as her slumber in the shell, a discordant note that refused to fit into any other melody. It spoke of worlds within worlds, of time moving in new ways and space folding like a flower. She had to find the rest of the song. And so, one day, she left her lair, following her instincts and the hint of a rhythm to a dark place where the sun never seemed to fully rise and silence dominated like an iron-fisted tyrant. But, somewhere, deep under the frozen ocean a note sounded. And Gamma chased it. Right into a darkness so deep it swallowed her whole. In that void there were other voices, other mathematicians lost in the song. Gamma remembered adding her voice. And then.... She woke up. Somewhere new, a land far, far from her own with a sky unlike any she'd ever dreamed of. A dragon waited there, bright and shining like a rainbow given life. He offered his hand. "Welcome to the dream realm, Gamma. My name is Drop, and if you are willing, I have a quest for you." Gamma took the tundra's hand, numbers and formulas waltzing in the air between them, and her new life began.
@Decaffeinated

49299157_350.png

Gamma loved math. Not the typical hatchling match of 'one for me, three for you' or even the lair math of 'with x number of dragons and these percentages of meat and plants, what kind of hunting do we need to do.' No, Gamma loved the mystery math, the numbers and figures and equations that made the world spin and dictated how high a dragon could fly or how far a rock would be thrown. She loved the math that defined the boundaries of reality.

She loved the math that defied them even more. Which is how she got herself in trouble.

Equations danced in her head all the time, weaving and twisting and reforming into grander puzzles with every turn. The most amazing of them solidified until they sang, as audible to Gamma as music to her lair mates. A siren call the refused to be ignored. Not that Gamma ever really tried.

It was one specific bit of math that haunted her dreams from as far back as her slumber in the shell, a discordant note that refused to fit into any other melody. It spoke of worlds within worlds, of time moving in new ways and space folding like a flower.

She had to find the rest of the song. And so, one day, she left her lair, following her instincts and the hint of a rhythm to a dark place where the sun never seemed to fully rise and silence dominated like an iron-fisted tyrant. But, somewhere, deep under the frozen ocean a note sounded. And Gamma chased it.

Right into a darkness so deep it swallowed her whole. In that void there were other voices, other mathematicians lost in the song. Gamma remembered adding her voice. And then....

She woke up. Somewhere new, a land far, far from her own with a sky unlike any she'd ever dreamed of. A dragon waited there, bright and shining like a rainbow given life.

He offered his hand. "Welcome to the dream realm, Gamma. My name is Drop, and if you are willing, I have a quest for you."

Gamma took the tundra's hand, numbers and formulas waltzing in the air between them, and her new life began.
Ik5UWRW.pnglg4Dhjm.pngsk6EBUK.pngVdIvDLJ.pngKe9i9hi.pngsvyKPF9.png
@ShadowWyvern15 Your hold has expired.

@Saraceaser You have until rollover tonight to finish your piece.
@ShadowWyvern15 Your hold has expired.

@Saraceaser You have until rollover tonight to finish your piece.
image00.png
@LadyChipmunk Oh golly that's a pretty cool concept! ^-^
@LadyChipmunk Oh golly that's a pretty cool concept! ^-^
image00.png
1 2 ... 166 167 168 169 170 ... 710 711