Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Insight
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21
[center][b]Day 48[/b] [item=Lizardscale Cloth][/center] “So, what was in the letter Saile sent you?” Zylen took a sip out of the tea Clancy had made that morning. The Pearlcatcher wasn’t as good as Elanor when it came to making the drink, but it was refreshing nonetheless. It also gave him something to focus on that wasn’t the now-stained carpet. It may have calmed her mind, but Clancy’s physical health couldn’t be fixed so easily. Clancy put down her tea, suddenly uncomfortable, “I think it’s best you look over it yourself.” She stood up and walked into the bedroom, returning with a rather plain envelope partially stained with oil. “I promise the letter itself is fine.” True to her word, the paper inside was clean, and the Fae began to read. As he progressed, his fans first lowered asymmetrically as he became puzzled by the context of the topic. Or rather, the lack of context he had towards what he was digging through. However, the initial confusion was quickly replaced with dread as they shut completely. Fearfully casting a look at Clancy, he didn’t waste time, “Saile really wants you to do this?” She nodded, as unnerved as the librarian, “You read it yourself. After this mission, he’s going to send me off on one, likely alone. For the sole purpose of provoking fear in some poor soul.” “And he still wants you to send a report too,” Zylen found himself suddenly baring his teeth in disgust, “Why would the professor ask such a thing of you?” The Pearlcatcher looked away bashfully, “That...lies in a different letter.” “Elaborate,” he demanded, “I know I don’t intend on getting too personal with this, but do tell what glorious reason he’s managed to scrounge up to convince you.” “It…” she hesitated, “Saile believes that it’ll help with my mental and physical state. That I’m currently in a ‘drought’ and will only get worse unless I do something about it. Apparently this is his idea of how to ‘fix’ me.” “And you’re going to go through with it?” “You’ve seen what’s happened to me. Does it look like I have much of a choice here?” Zylen sighed, “Well, I’m assuming you’d like me to join you regardless? Just in case something goes horribly wrong?” “Yes please. Fabricating the report to exclude you shouldn’t be too difficult. Saile will never know.” “Alright,” Zylen couldn’t help but feel wrong about the entire situation. Clancy was going to given a dragon to hunt down and terrify. With how she behaved both in and out of her right mind, she’d more likely draw in concern than fear. So, if she couldn’t perform sufficiently, what then? “Sounds like my next couple days are booked then. Means I need to get as much work done before then. Don’t want to fall behind.” Wrapping up their conversation, the Fae and Pearlcatcher parted, and the day continued on as normal. The extra workload Zylen had put on himself meant he spent almost the entire day in the library, even taking his meals with him as to not waste time. When asked about it, he lied and explained that he wanted to catch up for the time he lost in the infirmary. Finally returning to the library left him invigorated, and he was going to take advantage of it down to the seconds. On a roll, he didn’t even catch that Apollyon and Eowyn had returned until the Spiral was face to face with him. His expression was nigh impossible to read as he gripped the smaller dragon’s shoulder, “Where is it?” “Where is what? And shouldn’t you be more worried about the job report?” Zylen wasn’t in the mood for the Spiral’s twisting questions. “Strange Ridgeback can wait. Encountered pest. Where were they?” “I was attacked in the infirmary. Howl checked this morning and all that remained was the hole. He confirmed that it was the same scent he picked up on in the hallway he tore up.” “Did you see?” He persisted. “Yeah,” Zylen shuttered at remembering the jittering figure of the toy Mirror, “Something tells me you know what it is already though.” “Do not know. Only theories. Is it doll?” He regretted sharing the opinion of the ominous dragon in front of him, “Glad to see that we’ve both come to that conclusion.” Sudden fear entered Apollyon’s eyes, “Did not touch? Weren’t harmed? Doll is dangerous. Could kill Zylen.” “Apollyon, I’m fine. I only stuck around to get a look at what they were. Since you were going on about a pest, I believed you’d like the information.” “Appreciate info. Very useful.” He nodded, looking around some, “Touching doll could kill. Please leave it to me. I am resistant. Only get sick.” “I, uh, alright,” Zylen’s frills adjusted to reflect his concern, “Will you really be okay? Nothing I can do to help?” “Inform the others. Need to know too. Are in danger.” Without another word, the Spiral bolted towards the library entrance, leaving Zylen alone once again. Much to the Fae’s dismay, he would not write the report that night. ------------ @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge I apologize for the shortness and blegh quality of this. I ended up feeling physically unwell for most of today, which made me very happy when I pulled a material and didn't have to worry about doing anything extra. I wanted to go into the details in regards to the report tonight, but I'm going to save that for tomorrow when I'm hopefully feeling better. I had also planned to bring up Howl's search for the pest in more detail, but again, I kinda just wanted to get this out tonight. As for the pest themselves, we'll see more of them soon enough.
Day 48
Lizardscale Cloth

“So, what was in the letter Saile sent you?” Zylen took a sip out of the tea Clancy had made that morning. The Pearlcatcher wasn’t as good as Elanor when it came to making the drink, but it was refreshing nonetheless. It also gave him something to focus on that wasn’t the now-stained carpet. It may have calmed her mind, but Clancy’s physical health couldn’t be fixed so easily.

Clancy put down her tea, suddenly uncomfortable, “I think it’s best you look over it yourself.” She stood up and walked into the bedroom, returning with a rather plain envelope partially stained with oil. “I promise the letter itself is fine.”

True to her word, the paper inside was clean, and the Fae began to read. As he progressed, his fans first lowered asymmetrically as he became puzzled by the context of the topic. Or rather, the lack of context he had towards what he was digging through. However, the initial confusion was quickly replaced with dread as they shut completely. Fearfully casting a look at Clancy, he didn’t waste time, “Saile really wants you to do this?”

She nodded, as unnerved as the librarian, “You read it yourself. After this mission, he’s going to send me off on one, likely alone. For the sole purpose of provoking fear in some poor soul.”

“And he still wants you to send a report too,” Zylen found himself suddenly baring his teeth in disgust, “Why would the professor ask such a thing of you?”

The Pearlcatcher looked away bashfully, “That...lies in a different letter.”

“Elaborate,” he demanded, “I know I don’t intend on getting too personal with this, but do tell what glorious reason he’s managed to scrounge up to convince you.”

“It…” she hesitated, “Saile believes that it’ll help with my mental and physical state. That I’m currently in a ‘drought’ and will only get worse unless I do something about it. Apparently this is his idea of how to ‘fix’ me.”

“And you’re going to go through with it?”

“You’ve seen what’s happened to me. Does it look like I have much of a choice here?”

Zylen sighed, “Well, I’m assuming you’d like me to join you regardless? Just in case something goes horribly wrong?”

“Yes please. Fabricating the report to exclude you shouldn’t be too difficult. Saile will never know.”

“Alright,” Zylen couldn’t help but feel wrong about the entire situation. Clancy was going to given a dragon to hunt down and terrify. With how she behaved both in and out of her right mind, she’d more likely draw in concern than fear. So, if she couldn’t perform sufficiently, what then? “Sounds like my next couple days are booked then. Means I need to get as much work done before then. Don’t want to fall behind.”

Wrapping up their conversation, the Fae and Pearlcatcher parted, and the day continued on as normal. The extra workload Zylen had put on himself meant he spent almost the entire day in the library, even taking his meals with him as to not waste time. When asked about it, he lied and explained that he wanted to catch up for the time he lost in the infirmary. Finally returning to the library left him invigorated, and he was going to take advantage of it down to the seconds.

On a roll, he didn’t even catch that Apollyon and Eowyn had returned until the Spiral was face to face with him. His expression was nigh impossible to read as he gripped the smaller dragon’s shoulder, “Where is it?”

“Where is what? And shouldn’t you be more worried about the job report?” Zylen wasn’t in the mood for the Spiral’s twisting questions.

“Strange Ridgeback can wait. Encountered pest. Where were they?”

“I was attacked in the infirmary. Howl checked this morning and all that remained was the hole. He confirmed that it was the same scent he picked up on in the hallway he tore up.”

“Did you see?” He persisted.

“Yeah,” Zylen shuttered at remembering the jittering figure of the toy Mirror, “Something tells me you know what it is already though.”

“Do not know. Only theories. Is it doll?”

He regretted sharing the opinion of the ominous dragon in front of him, “Glad to see that we’ve both come to that conclusion.”

Sudden fear entered Apollyon’s eyes, “Did not touch? Weren’t harmed? Doll is dangerous. Could kill Zylen.”

“Apollyon, I’m fine. I only stuck around to get a look at what they were. Since you were going on about a pest, I believed you’d like the information.”

“Appreciate info. Very useful.” He nodded, looking around some, “Touching doll could kill. Please leave it to me. I am resistant. Only get sick.”

“I, uh, alright,” Zylen’s frills adjusted to reflect his concern, “Will you really be okay? Nothing I can do to help?”

“Inform the others. Need to know too. Are in danger.” Without another word, the Spiral bolted towards the library entrance, leaving Zylen alone once again.

Much to the Fae’s dismay, he would not write the report that night.

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge
I apologize for the shortness and blegh quality of this. I ended up feeling physically unwell for most of today, which made me very happy when I pulled a material and didn't have to worry about doing anything extra.

I wanted to go into the details in regards to the report tonight, but I'm going to save that for tomorrow when I'm hopefully feeling better. I had also planned to bring up Howl's search for the pest in more detail, but again, I kinda just wanted to get this out tonight.

As for the pest themselves, we'll see more of them soon enough.
gQ7u2pY.pnglIvZUb1.png47O9KMz.png
@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge
I hate to do it so early after coming back, but no post tonight. I dealt with a migraine for a decent portion of work, and had to take care of some other stuff before I could take meds. Although it is mostly gone now, I can hardly think and all I want to do is lay down and sleep. Maybe tomorrow will be better on my physical health. Though seriously, I try and continue this and then my body decides to misbehave. How dare.
I hate to do it so early after coming back, but no post tonight. I dealt with a migraine for a decent portion of work, and had to take care of some other stuff before I could take meds. Although it is mostly gone now, I can hardly think and all I want to do is lay down and sleep. Maybe tomorrow will be better on my physical health. Though seriously, I try and continue this and then my body decides to misbehave. How dare.
[center][b]Day 49[/b] [item=Nightsky Fuiran Hide][/center] Zylen ended up getting information for a report from Eowyn before Apollyon. The Spiral had been solely focused on tracking down the whereabouts of their uninvited guests when he wasn’t working. The couple times he managed to track the sinister-looking dragon down, he simply told him, “Later,” before continuing the search. The Fae wound up bumping into Eowyn on his way to the archives, the pair agreeing to at least begin a report with Elanor serving as translator. He could no longer enter the archivist’s office without feeling nervous. After their last meeting, the Tundra took on a different light to him. The worst part is that he didn’t know a thing about Elanor and her past, while she was the only one who knew of his involvement in a cult, and the crimes that came about from that. Should she decide to threaten him in any fashion with this information as blackmail, he’d be at her mercy. He did have her trust, but doubted how far that would last, regardless of her earnesty when speaking about it. She greeted the two with a smile as they entered, “Zylen! Good to see you up and about again. Appears that our resident ‘pest’ didn’t get you after all.” She giggled some at her own joke as she stood up, “Want me to prepare some tea for the two of you?” “No thank you,” Eowyn responded, “We’ve come to give my side of the report and be on our ways. We also have work to do you know.” Zylen was happy to see that while Eowyn may have been convinced to help, she wasn’t suddenly a different dragon. She was there to help them out after being severely injured, not become buddies. He chimed in, “I’d like to catch up on missed work, but I need a translator when talking to her.” “Very well,” Elanor’s disappointment was as clear, “I was hoping to catch up with you some Zylen.” “We’ve yet to get Saile’s next task today. Maybe once that comes in we can chat?” He offered. “That would be nice,” The side chatter was frustrating Eowyn some with her only being able to understand half of it clearly. The two caught on quickly, and soon both began work on a report. Zylen felt lucky that the Coatl had the more direct experience with the market stall the two had been sent off to investigate. Finding the market wasn’t difficult, but it wasn’t until the day after their arrival that they spotted the cart they had been tasked with observing. At first, she didn’t see anything odd about the wares being sold. They were certainly enchanted, but she couldn’t tell how without a closer look. So, the two did just that. Under the guise of two curious outsiders, the two approached and were greeted by a joyous purple Ridgeback. He was quick to admit that his stock was based on popular name brands, but he insisted he wasn’t like other “knockoffs”. Demonstrating better quality fabric, as well as assuring their prices were fair, neither aiming to over or undersell, he was well-versed in common questions. They remained cautious of the seller however, not wanting to let their guard down. After more small talk, the two had bought a couple pieces for Apollyon to wear. The Spiral constant reinforcing of their relative immunity to harmful enchantments made him a better subject to wear the pieces. Only when he donned the tie and waistcoat did Eowyn see the lines crossing the apparel become active. She wasn’t sure what to make of yet more “magicless” lines dancing among the threads, but she did know what they meant. It was a slow-working enchantment. She wasn’t sure if it revolved around days or weeks, but as the user wore the apparel, the clothing would begin to affect their body. The way the lines dug into the skin suggested the changing of the flesh, but with how they moved, she didn’t believe them to be molding the skin like one would do with clay. This meant whatever infused magic was involved was more likely to change the composition of the skin over its shape. However, without an easily observable element involved, it was impossible to make out what that material was. Eowyn made the mistake of visiting the market alone that night. She had simply wished to return the pieces with the lie of having not been to the two’s liking. The stall had still shown to be open, and was one of the only ones that had remained open by that time. Expecting to see the Ridgeback preparing to pack up, she wanted to be in and out, as to not cause any concern. However, the shopkeep was nowhere to be seen upon approach, only a barely visible silhouette from inside his cart. She began to panic as she attempted to recall the minutes that followed. What came out of the stall was not the Ridgeback, but something “dressed up” as a dragon resembling one. A messy patchwork of fabrics, hard plastics, dragon scales, and what looked to be paper mache stared back at her with far too many eyes. Sent reeling, the Coatl didn’t spend another moment by the stall, hurriedly grabbing Apollyon and taking the two of them anywhere that wasn’t near that marketplace. They returned to the mansion the following morning. As for the clothing the two bought, Apollyon still had them, and Eowyn assumed he had added them to the Reliquary Room at this point. With little else to recall, Eowyn dismissed herself to her work. Elanor and Zylen parted ways soon after, the Fae unable to do further writing on the report without Apollyon’s contributions. That said, he took some time to prepare a report to send out in case the Spiral continued to refuse to give information. Giving Saile a partially unfinished document was better than nothing. Lunch delivered news of the mansion’s next task, and for once all the residents were gathered together to hear it. As a member of staff read off their newest mission however, Zylen felt bothered. He felt a pull in his being to the nearby room, and being around everyone was beginning to make him feel oddly uncomfortable. The feeling persisted the entire time he remained in the dining hall, his promised conversation with Elanor doing little to distract him from it. As he left with Clancy back to the panic room, it faded, along with his rising panic. The Pearlcatcher quickly pulled out her personal letter she had read to herself in the middle of eating. She collapsed onto the couch after handing it over, letting out an exasperated sigh, “Bet you can’t guess my assigned victim before reading.” “Is it that family member brought up during the task reading?” As promised by Saile, only Clancy had been tasked with this mission. Almost a day’s journey out from the portal in the Scarred Wasteland they were accessing was the remains of a small, but hardy clan. And among the remaining structures was an abandoned dwelling where residents claimed the pictures and artwork inside shifted like desert sands. No one knows when this anomaly began, only that it was after the home was abandoned. Stranger than the pictures was the sole member of the family that remained to visit. No matter the face a picture or painting may wear when they enter, they always pointed out family members as if they had never changed at all. Saile had almost dismissed the supposed abnormality until he asked some questions of the intern who was in charge of gathering the information. Turns out the family member, while under care for some mental illnesses, insisted that the pictures were of family. Not some extension of their memory of what the pictures once looked like, but rather the dragons [i]were[/i] their family as is, regardless of appearance. Further research proved the individual wasn’t suffering from any illness to cause such behavior, so he was sending Clancy out for a better look. He deemed it harmless enough to allow only her to go, and it would provide her with the solitude needed for her “secret” task assigned to her. So it was a shock when her answer was negative, “Nope. It’s the mother of a recently hatched clutch. Want to guess the details?” “I’d rather not think about what horrible thing Saile has planned for you,” Zylen responded bluntly, fans drooped. “Well, turns out the family might possibly be the last ones actively keeping their bloodline alive.” She let out another heavy sigh, “This clan is dying out, and without new blood, it’s only a matter of time before it either splinters off into surrounding clans or is devoured by them. However, this family plans to fight it out. Some sort of ‘doomsday planners’ according to Saile.” “Oh! Jeremiah’s told me about those sorts,” Zylen remembered the conversation fondly, “They plan for supposed apocalyptic scenarios, but don’t freak out about predicting when it will happen or if one will happen at all. Sometimes it’s a fun sort of hobby for families to share, but it’s up to the children to decide if they continue or not.” “Exactly,” Clancy sat up, composing herself. She took a sip out of glass of water she had poured for herself earlier in the morning, “Turns out this family may be facing such a scenario soon, if on a small scale. Likely have been stockpiling food and other supplies for months, if not years for whenever their home eventually becomes abandoned. They don’t plan on leaving, but the eventuality that they’ll be all that’s left unless they manage to find and recruit wanderers is what Saile is taking advantage of.” “So what are you supposed to do to frighten them like Saile’s asked you to do? Just talk to them the right way?” Puzzled and frustrated, he didn’t see how this could help Clancy in the slightest. “That’s the part that angers me,” she practically threw the cup back on the table, “He doesn’t say! All he told me is that I do what comes naturally as if I know how to actively threaten people.” “Well, for better or worse, we have all of tonight.” The Fae raised his fans with his mild positivity, “I need to write this report to send out so Saile won’t pester us about it.” True to his word, Zylen didn’t send out a finalized report. Apollyon spent that night hunting for the ‘pest’, finding nothing and ignoring the Fae’s efforts to get him to talk. So, he sent the unfinished one with only Eowyn’s recollection, hoping it would be enough. If this continued, he’d ask Elanor to pry the information out for him. Something told him she’d not only succeed, but she might enjoy verbally squeezing out withheld intel. And as he lay in bed that night, he was reminded of her role. ---------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge Thank goodness tomorrow's Friday and that means late start time for work. I'm not sure I would have had the time to write this without losing sleep otherwise. Long story short, another day of having half a migraine, but this time I was able to get my thinking back. I wish I had commentary for this, but most of today is more setup. This mission is going to technically be a three day quest including today, due to the distance Clancy and Zylen have to cover to their assigned location. I will say some new rolls begin tomorrow that will be behind the scenes until Zylen returns. Now that the pest has been revealed, I get to have fun dictating their actions. Final note, but it's finally been another week in the Pinkerlocke! Time for a word/page count update: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/835004220839034900/Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_12.07.47_AM.png[/img] [i]Almost[/i] 200 pages! Definitely would have hit that if I wrote a smidge more for today or even the previous day.
Day 49
Nightsky Fuiran Hide

Zylen ended up getting information for a report from Eowyn before Apollyon. The Spiral had been solely focused on tracking down the whereabouts of their uninvited guests when he wasn’t working. The couple times he managed to track the sinister-looking dragon down, he simply told him, “Later,” before continuing the search. The Fae wound up bumping into Eowyn on his way to the archives, the pair agreeing to at least begin a report with Elanor serving as translator.

He could no longer enter the archivist’s office without feeling nervous. After their last meeting, the Tundra took on a different light to him. The worst part is that he didn’t know a thing about Elanor and her past, while she was the only one who knew of his involvement in a cult, and the crimes that came about from that. Should she decide to threaten him in any fashion with this information as blackmail, he’d be at her mercy. He did have her trust, but doubted how far that would last, regardless of her earnesty when speaking about it.

She greeted the two with a smile as they entered, “Zylen! Good to see you up and about again. Appears that our resident ‘pest’ didn’t get you after all.” She giggled some at her own joke as she stood up, “Want me to prepare some tea for the two of you?”

“No thank you,” Eowyn responded, “We’ve come to give my side of the report and be on our ways. We also have work to do you know.”

Zylen was happy to see that while Eowyn may have been convinced to help, she wasn’t suddenly a different dragon. She was there to help them out after being severely injured, not become buddies. He chimed in, “I’d like to catch up on missed work, but I need a translator when talking to her.”

“Very well,” Elanor’s disappointment was as clear, “I was hoping to catch up with you some Zylen.”

“We’ve yet to get Saile’s next task today. Maybe once that comes in we can chat?” He offered.

“That would be nice,” The side chatter was frustrating Eowyn some with her only being able to understand half of it clearly. The two caught on quickly, and soon both began work on a report.

Zylen felt lucky that the Coatl had the more direct experience with the market stall the two had been sent off to investigate. Finding the market wasn’t difficult, but it wasn’t until the day after their arrival that they spotted the cart they had been tasked with observing. At first, she didn’t see anything odd about the wares being sold. They were certainly enchanted, but she couldn’t tell how without a closer look. So, the two did just that.

Under the guise of two curious outsiders, the two approached and were greeted by a joyous purple Ridgeback. He was quick to admit that his stock was based on popular name brands, but he insisted he wasn’t like other “knockoffs”. Demonstrating better quality fabric, as well as assuring their prices were fair, neither aiming to over or undersell, he was well-versed in common questions. They remained cautious of the seller however, not wanting to let their guard down.

After more small talk, the two had bought a couple pieces for Apollyon to wear. The Spiral constant reinforcing of their relative immunity to harmful enchantments made him a better subject to wear the pieces. Only when he donned the tie and waistcoat did Eowyn see the lines crossing the apparel become active. She wasn’t sure what to make of yet more “magicless” lines dancing among the threads, but she did know what they meant.

It was a slow-working enchantment. She wasn’t sure if it revolved around days or weeks, but as the user wore the apparel, the clothing would begin to affect their body. The way the lines dug into the skin suggested the changing of the flesh, but with how they moved, she didn’t believe them to be molding the skin like one would do with clay. This meant whatever infused magic was involved was more likely to change the composition of the skin over its shape. However, without an easily observable element involved, it was impossible to make out what that material was.

Eowyn made the mistake of visiting the market alone that night. She had simply wished to return the pieces with the lie of having not been to the two’s liking. The stall had still shown to be open, and was one of the only ones that had remained open by that time. Expecting to see the Ridgeback preparing to pack up, she wanted to be in and out, as to not cause any concern. However, the shopkeep was nowhere to be seen upon approach, only a barely visible silhouette from inside his cart.

She began to panic as she attempted to recall the minutes that followed. What came out of the stall was not the Ridgeback, but something “dressed up” as a dragon resembling one. A messy patchwork of fabrics, hard plastics, dragon scales, and what looked to be paper mache stared back at her with far too many eyes. Sent reeling, the Coatl didn’t spend another moment by the stall, hurriedly grabbing Apollyon and taking the two of them anywhere that wasn’t near that marketplace. They returned to the mansion the following morning. As for the clothing the two bought, Apollyon still had them, and Eowyn assumed he had added them to the Reliquary Room at this point.

With little else to recall, Eowyn dismissed herself to her work. Elanor and Zylen parted ways soon after, the Fae unable to do further writing on the report without Apollyon’s contributions. That said, he took some time to prepare a report to send out in case the Spiral continued to refuse to give information. Giving Saile a partially unfinished document was better than nothing.

Lunch delivered news of the mansion’s next task, and for once all the residents were gathered together to hear it. As a member of staff read off their newest mission however, Zylen felt bothered. He felt a pull in his being to the nearby room, and being around everyone was beginning to make him feel oddly uncomfortable. The feeling persisted the entire time he remained in the dining hall, his promised conversation with Elanor doing little to distract him from it. As he left with Clancy back to the panic room, it faded, along with his rising panic.

The Pearlcatcher quickly pulled out her personal letter she had read to herself in the middle of eating. She collapsed onto the couch after handing it over, letting out an exasperated sigh, “Bet you can’t guess my assigned victim before reading.”

“Is it that family member brought up during the task reading?” As promised by Saile, only Clancy had been tasked with this mission.

Almost a day’s journey out from the portal in the Scarred Wasteland they were accessing was the remains of a small, but hardy clan. And among the remaining structures was an abandoned dwelling where residents claimed the pictures and artwork inside shifted like desert sands. No one knows when this anomaly began, only that it was after the home was abandoned. Stranger than the pictures was the sole member of the family that remained to visit. No matter the face a picture or painting may wear when they enter, they always pointed out family members as if they had never changed at all.

Saile had almost dismissed the supposed abnormality until he asked some questions of the intern who was in charge of gathering the information. Turns out the family member, while under care for some mental illnesses, insisted that the pictures were of family. Not some extension of their memory of what the pictures once looked like, but rather the dragons were their family as is, regardless of appearance. Further research proved the individual wasn’t suffering from any illness to cause such behavior, so he was sending Clancy out for a better look. He deemed it harmless enough to allow only her to go, and it would provide her with the solitude needed for her “secret” task assigned to her.

So it was a shock when her answer was negative, “Nope. It’s the mother of a recently hatched clutch. Want to guess the details?”

“I’d rather not think about what horrible thing Saile has planned for you,” Zylen responded bluntly, fans drooped.

“Well, turns out the family might possibly be the last ones actively keeping their bloodline alive.” She let out another heavy sigh, “This clan is dying out, and without new blood, it’s only a matter of time before it either splinters off into surrounding clans or is devoured by them. However, this family plans to fight it out. Some sort of ‘doomsday planners’ according to Saile.”

“Oh! Jeremiah’s told me about those sorts,” Zylen remembered the conversation fondly, “They plan for supposed apocalyptic scenarios, but don’t freak out about predicting when it will happen or if one will happen at all. Sometimes it’s a fun sort of hobby for families to share, but it’s up to the children to decide if they continue or not.”

“Exactly,” Clancy sat up, composing herself. She took a sip out of glass of water she had poured for herself earlier in the morning, “Turns out this family may be facing such a scenario soon, if on a small scale. Likely have been stockpiling food and other supplies for months, if not years for whenever their home eventually becomes abandoned. They don’t plan on leaving, but the eventuality that they’ll be all that’s left unless they manage to find and recruit wanderers is what Saile is taking advantage of.”

“So what are you supposed to do to frighten them like Saile’s asked you to do? Just talk to them the right way?” Puzzled and frustrated, he didn’t see how this could help Clancy in the slightest.

“That’s the part that angers me,” she practically threw the cup back on the table, “He doesn’t say! All he told me is that I do what comes naturally as if I know how to actively threaten people.”

“Well, for better or worse, we have all of tonight.” The Fae raised his fans with his mild positivity, “I need to write this report to send out so Saile won’t pester us about it.”

True to his word, Zylen didn’t send out a finalized report. Apollyon spent that night hunting for the ‘pest’, finding nothing and ignoring the Fae’s efforts to get him to talk. So, he sent the unfinished one with only Eowyn’s recollection, hoping it would be enough. If this continued, he’d ask Elanor to pry the information out for him. Something told him she’d not only succeed, but she might enjoy verbally squeezing out withheld intel.

And as he lay in bed that night, he was reminded of her role.

Thank goodness tomorrow's Friday and that means late start time for work. I'm not sure I would have had the time to write this without losing sleep otherwise. Long story short, another day of having half a migraine, but this time I was able to get my thinking back.

I wish I had commentary for this, but most of today is more setup. This mission is going to technically be a three day quest including today, due to the distance Clancy and Zylen have to cover to their assigned location. I will say some new rolls begin tomorrow that will be behind the scenes until Zylen returns. Now that the pest has been revealed, I get to have fun dictating their actions.

Final note, but it's finally been another week in the Pinkerlocke! Time for a word/page count update:
Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_12.07.47_AM.png
Almost 200 pages! Definitely would have hit that if I wrote a smidge more for today or even the previous day.
[center][b]Day 50[/b] [item=Ivory Aviator Scarf][/center] There was already a buzz about when Zylen got up the following morning. He had barely finished packing when Clancy began to frantically knock at his door. At first he thought she might have been falling back into a panicked mindset, when she bolted in and shut the door. Far too large for the Fae’s room she wound up knocking a lot of the furnishings around as she got situated. He was quick to spot a small scratch on her good shoulder, with notable others in her braced arm. After a moment of silence, she peered outside again, tension melting away. She quickly filled him in on the most recent encounter with the pest, Apollyon having provoked them. Thinking the living doll was focused on the Spiral, she had let her guard down, being attacked soon after. While unable to deflect initially and taking a couple strikes, her brace held them off until she mustered up a bolt of magic. The attack drove the Mirror-shaped pest off long enough for her to run towards the Fae’s room. Cautiously, the two exited and ran to the dining room, where Apollyon had managed to drag the rest of his coworkers together. Upon seeing Clancy’s injuries, her personal space was invaded by the Spiral as he looked up and down the injuries. Clutching her shoulders, he looked into her eyes, asking questions about how she felt and how long ago she was hurt. After her reluctant answers, he backed off, but Zylen couldn’t ignore the hint of fear in his large eyes as he returned to his seat. After a full group meeting in regards to the uninvited guest in their midst, and countless questions, he was finally free to return to the task at hand. Clancy had the same idea as the two found each other in the portal room, packed for their trip into the Scarred Wasteland. Noticeably uncomfortable knowing she’d be away from the one place keeping her calm, she eyed him nervously. She was counting on him to keep her grounded during this trip. Such a task proved difficult soon after they began their trip. The portal was guarded by a rather large clan for the territory, surrounded on all sides by protective barriers and guards. They had been welcomed as highly honored guests into the area, a notion that he found hard to ignore. When he questioned the clan’s treatment of the two of them, they were met with confusion at first, only for it to be turned back around with comments about how they had to be new, but still honored like others before them. Pleasantries aside, he and Clancy were both uncomfortable. Zylen found the crowd of admirers almost suffocating to him, hating every moment he remained in the area. He didn’t like their constant expectant eyes and cheerful words, the praise grating his nerves. When he found himself alone with his partner again, he questioned why he had felt the way he had, but the task ahead of them was more important than introspection. Clancy’s stability began to falter soon after, often questioning what they were here for. She no longer believed in her personal task being to help her condition, looping into theories and conspiracies involving Saile’s “true intent”. Anytime she began to question her coworkers, Zylen would step in to keep her grounded, settling her down enough to remind her that the others back at the mansion were like her. While the staff were definitely dragons to be wary of, her coworkers had been hired in just like her. Yet at one point Zylen felt like abandoning her. Not helping her out solely to watch how her condition would spiral without him there. The Fae constantly shook the sinister plan away, but he couldn’t help but be drawn to the idea. What [i]would[/i] happen if he left her alone? The impact of losing the one she put her trust in would be devastating, that was for certain. But would she not believe what was happening at first, desperate to find the one she trusted, or would she conspire against him, theorizing what horrible plan he hatched that abused their bond? When Clancy interrupted the Fae’s delve into the awful scheme, he felt gross. Of [i]course[/i] he’d never abandon her. He was her anchor to remaining relatively sane. Watching her pleading eyes as she awaited a response shift into one of comfort filled him with joy. It was odd to see their initial roles between each other reversed, but both had kept to their word. Sure, she wasn’t the best at the moment, but if he was behaving similarly, he believed she would be doing the same for him. So, he kept up the support until they arrived at their destination. The sun was setting as they entered an incredibly old, but largely abandoned clan. Clancy mellowed slightly at the sight of the ancient structures, her knowledge to give her a few moments of lucidity as they located someone to talk to. They were greeted by an older Mirror soon after arriving, his scar-riddled body a testament to his time as a survivor of the harsh environment. He proved to be a former warrior in the clan, now in charge of protecting any nests and hatchlings, and was happy to guide them to their leader so they may get situated for the night. After taking the duo towards a larger, better maintained building largely composed of stone, they were left to introduce themselves. The leader proved to be a younger Mirror, adorned in simple jewelry, small bones, and a mantle composed of various patches added over the years. She was still past her prime in terms of age, but appeared rather spry as she rushed to greet them, eager to show the two around. A tour of the clan revealed their numbers had dipped to below fourty over the past couple years, whether from deaths or emigration to different clans or territories. They had reached out to the Rook’s Coven initially, only for their letters to find their way to the main branch after some time. They had wanted the clan to be documented before it was left totally abandoned or destroyed, especially some of the more ‘bizarre’ aspects. Now that the institute had sent dragons to investigate one anomaly, they expected more in the future. When Zylen pried about other strange occurrences or objects, the clan leader refused to elaborate. They stated that the two of them were there for the house brought up in their letter, and were aware of their limited time in the clan. The time to travel to their location was something she took into account as well, stating that they would be there many more days if she were to try and show them everything around what used to encompass the clan. So, he dropped the subject. At least it was something to write to Saile about once he and Clancy returned. Maybe the clan would become a place they returned to in the future to slowly catalogue if the professor liked it enough. It would give Elanor and Jeremiah some fun work as well, as most folders the two had started were small and left cold almost as quickly as they were set up. The Fae was playing out the dream scenario of course, but he couldn’t help but be excited for a place to return to for once. Their lodging for the night was an old rundown den that once belonged to a courier by the looks of it. Discarded envelopes, various old trinkets from other territories, a torn map, and a couple worn delivery bags were all that remained of the previous inhabitant’s belongings. Whoever once lived there had left in a rush, and no one had bothered to tidy up the home once abandoned. At least, until he cleaned it to his liking. His bed wasn’t the comfiest that night, but that was the last thing from his mind as he attempted to sleep. At some point after the two of them said their goodnights, Clancy had gotten up. The Fae didn’t hear her leave or lay back down, so cautiously, he wormed his way out of bed, immediately regretting his decision. The Pearlcatcher stood watch at the eastern window of their home, silently staring at something unseen. In her claws was her pearl, the first Zylen had seen of it since before the incident that had left her as she was now. The once lustrous object had long been dulled, darkened by corrupted ichor that its owner now applied to it. He looked on in fear as she added another vile layer to the object before setting it down. Then, wordlessly, she looked at where Zylen’s bed was. Then the door. Then back at his bed. Tucking her pearl away under loose floorboards, Clancy turned around and left without another word. In the pale illumination cast by Sornieth’s moon, he watched as her silhouetted figure tracked east, directly where she had been staring. It wouldn’t be until that morning that he saw her again. ------------ @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge A bit of a late entry, but I'm happy to have this done! Had to fight a period of absolutely no motivation, but once I got past that everything went smoothly. Immunity today goes to Jeremiah should I pull a trinket for tomorrow. As for Clancy, I'm sure you guys can guess what's going on. It'll be a bit until more is heard in regards to the pest problem, but I definitely have plans there. In relation to the current locale used for this mission, it's still a coin toss on if I'll have it come up again. On one hand, I have plans I can throw here, but on the other, I'm not sure if I want to make this the only place in Plague the crew goes to for a bit. In character stuff, no Zylen is not okay. Clancy is also not okay. Somehow these two are the closest thing I have to a couple. How did this happen.
Day 50
Ivory Aviator Scarf

There was already a buzz about when Zylen got up the following morning. He had barely finished packing when Clancy began to frantically knock at his door. At first he thought she might have been falling back into a panicked mindset, when she bolted in and shut the door. Far too large for the Fae’s room she wound up knocking a lot of the furnishings around as she got situated. He was quick to spot a small scratch on her good shoulder, with notable others in her braced arm.

After a moment of silence, she peered outside again, tension melting away. She quickly filled him in on the most recent encounter with the pest, Apollyon having provoked them. Thinking the living doll was focused on the Spiral, she had let her guard down, being attacked soon after. While unable to deflect initially and taking a couple strikes, her brace held them off until she mustered up a bolt of magic. The attack drove the Mirror-shaped pest off long enough for her to run towards the Fae’s room.

Cautiously, the two exited and ran to the dining room, where Apollyon had managed to drag the rest of his coworkers together. Upon seeing Clancy’s injuries, her personal space was invaded by the Spiral as he looked up and down the injuries. Clutching her shoulders, he looked into her eyes, asking questions about how she felt and how long ago she was hurt. After her reluctant answers, he backed off, but Zylen couldn’t ignore the hint of fear in his large eyes as he returned to his seat.

After a full group meeting in regards to the uninvited guest in their midst, and countless questions, he was finally free to return to the task at hand. Clancy had the same idea as the two found each other in the portal room, packed for their trip into the Scarred Wasteland. Noticeably uncomfortable knowing she’d be away from the one place keeping her calm, she eyed him nervously. She was counting on him to keep her grounded during this trip.

Such a task proved difficult soon after they began their trip. The portal was guarded by a rather large clan for the territory, surrounded on all sides by protective barriers and guards. They had been welcomed as highly honored guests into the area, a notion that he found hard to ignore. When he questioned the clan’s treatment of the two of them, they were met with confusion at first, only for it to be turned back around with comments about how they had to be new, but still honored like others before them.

Pleasantries aside, he and Clancy were both uncomfortable. Zylen found the crowd of admirers almost suffocating to him, hating every moment he remained in the area. He didn’t like their constant expectant eyes and cheerful words, the praise grating his nerves. When he found himself alone with his partner again, he questioned why he had felt the way he had, but the task ahead of them was more important than introspection.

Clancy’s stability began to falter soon after, often questioning what they were here for. She no longer believed in her personal task being to help her condition, looping into theories and conspiracies involving Saile’s “true intent”. Anytime she began to question her coworkers, Zylen would step in to keep her grounded, settling her down enough to remind her that the others back at the mansion were like her. While the staff were definitely dragons to be wary of, her coworkers had been hired in just like her.

Yet at one point Zylen felt like abandoning her. Not helping her out solely to watch how her condition would spiral without him there. The Fae constantly shook the sinister plan away, but he couldn’t help but be drawn to the idea. What would happen if he left her alone? The impact of losing the one she put her trust in would be devastating, that was for certain. But would she not believe what was happening at first, desperate to find the one she trusted, or would she conspire against him, theorizing what horrible plan he hatched that abused their bond?

When Clancy interrupted the Fae’s delve into the awful scheme, he felt gross. Of course he’d never abandon her. He was her anchor to remaining relatively sane. Watching her pleading eyes as she awaited a response shift into one of comfort filled him with joy. It was odd to see their initial roles between each other reversed, but both had kept to their word. Sure, she wasn’t the best at the moment, but if he was behaving similarly, he believed she would be doing the same for him.

So, he kept up the support until they arrived at their destination. The sun was setting as they entered an incredibly old, but largely abandoned clan. Clancy mellowed slightly at the sight of the ancient structures, her knowledge to give her a few moments of lucidity as they located someone to talk to. They were greeted by an older Mirror soon after arriving, his scar-riddled body a testament to his time as a survivor of the harsh environment. He proved to be a former warrior in the clan, now in charge of protecting any nests and hatchlings, and was happy to guide them to their leader so they may get situated for the night.

After taking the duo towards a larger, better maintained building largely composed of stone, they were left to introduce themselves. The leader proved to be a younger Mirror, adorned in simple jewelry, small bones, and a mantle composed of various patches added over the years. She was still past her prime in terms of age, but appeared rather spry as she rushed to greet them, eager to show the two around.

A tour of the clan revealed their numbers had dipped to below fourty over the past couple years, whether from deaths or emigration to different clans or territories. They had reached out to the Rook’s Coven initially, only for their letters to find their way to the main branch after some time. They had wanted the clan to be documented before it was left totally abandoned or destroyed, especially some of the more ‘bizarre’ aspects. Now that the institute had sent dragons to investigate one anomaly, they expected more in the future.

When Zylen pried about other strange occurrences or objects, the clan leader refused to elaborate. They stated that the two of them were there for the house brought up in their letter, and were aware of their limited time in the clan. The time to travel to their location was something she took into account as well, stating that they would be there many more days if she were to try and show them everything around what used to encompass the clan.

So, he dropped the subject. At least it was something to write to Saile about once he and Clancy returned. Maybe the clan would become a place they returned to in the future to slowly catalogue if the professor liked it enough. It would give Elanor and Jeremiah some fun work as well, as most folders the two had started were small and left cold almost as quickly as they were set up. The Fae was playing out the dream scenario of course, but he couldn’t help but be excited for a place to return to for once.

Their lodging for the night was an old rundown den that once belonged to a courier by the looks of it. Discarded envelopes, various old trinkets from other territories, a torn map, and a couple worn delivery bags were all that remained of the previous inhabitant’s belongings. Whoever once lived there had left in a rush, and no one had bothered to tidy up the home once abandoned. At least, until he cleaned it to his liking.

His bed wasn’t the comfiest that night, but that was the last thing from his mind as he attempted to sleep. At some point after the two of them said their goodnights, Clancy had gotten up. The Fae didn’t hear her leave or lay back down, so cautiously, he wormed his way out of bed, immediately regretting his decision.

The Pearlcatcher stood watch at the eastern window of their home, silently staring at something unseen. In her claws was her pearl, the first Zylen had seen of it since before the incident that had left her as she was now. The once lustrous object had long been dulled, darkened by corrupted ichor that its owner now applied to it. He looked on in fear as she added another vile layer to the object before setting it down.

Then, wordlessly, she looked at where Zylen’s bed was. Then the door. Then back at his bed. Tucking her pearl away under loose floorboards, Clancy turned around and left without another word. In the pale illumination cast by Sornieth’s moon, he watched as her silhouetted figure tracked east, directly where she had been staring.

It wouldn’t be until that morning that he saw her again.

A bit of a late entry, but I'm happy to have this done! Had to fight a period of absolutely no motivation, but once I got past that everything went smoothly. Immunity today goes to Jeremiah should I pull a trinket for tomorrow.

As for Clancy, I'm sure you guys can guess what's going on. It'll be a bit until more is heard in regards to the pest problem, but I definitely have plans there. In relation to the current locale used for this mission, it's still a coin toss on if I'll have it come up again. On one hand, I have plans I can throw here, but on the other, I'm not sure if I want to make this the only place in Plague the crew goes to for a bit.

In character stuff, no Zylen is not okay. Clancy is also not okay. Somehow these two are the closest thing I have to a couple. How did this happen.
Sorry to do this but no post today. Some irl things happened that have ruined my motivation and made me feel not that great. I need to wind down and not stress about anything right now.
Sorry to do this but no post today. Some irl things happened that have ruined my motivation and made me feel not that great. I need to wind down and not stress about anything right now.
[center][b]Day 51[/b] [item=Dodo][/center] The next morning, Zylen awoke to find Clancy sprawled out on the bed provided to her, quietly snoring. There was no sign she had left the night before, aside from a small pool of oil beneath the window she had stared out at the night before. It had long since dried and soaked into the wooden floorboards, creating a dark stain that he doubted would be able to be washed away. With concern, he pulled himself to hover down to the floor below, remembering their task for today. “Clancy?” he quietly called her name, gently shaking her. She groaned briefly, but didn’t respond further, “Clancy it’s morning. We need to finish investigating so we can be back at the mansion before nightfall.” She grumbled something incoherent before finally opening her eyes groggily, “I feel like I haven’t slept at all. Is it really morning?” “Are you alright?” Zylen provided what little support he could as the Pearlcatcher sat up. She blinked a few times, shaking her head. After looking around the room, she let out a sigh, looking back at Zylen with knowing eyes, “What happened last night is not something I’m going to share with you. I will send Saile a letter, and maybe inform Elanor simply to log the occurrence, but I’m sorry. It’s not something I think you’ll enjoy knowing.” While feeling a bit betrayed by her unwillingness, he respected her decision. She was going to inform at least one individual, so if he dared to pry, he’d likely be able to get the information. That, or she may change her mind. Regardless, they had a job to do, “I understand. You feeling any better at least?” “Surprisingly, yes.” She flexed her braced arm, “Sadly this isn’t feeling any better, but I feel like myself again.” Expression darkening, she looked towards the eastern window, “I’m not sure it’s worth what I’ve done, but if it’s the only way to stop myself from turning against the mansion I’ll suffer through it.” “Clancy,” Zylen stared her down, voice firm and as serious as he could make it, “You didn’t kill anyone, did you?” “Oh by the Eleven! No! I’d never kill for the sake of being sane!” She practically shoved the Fae off of her, “It’s just...that family seemed so kind. I hope my actions haven’t ruined their way of life is all.” “Alright, I’ll stop there then.” He dusted off his coat and readjusted his hat. “I only wanted to confirm that we won’t find anyone dead. No need to give me any more details if you don’t want to.” He found his way to the front door, “Anyways, get up and get ready. We have somewhere to be.” The two saw and heard nothing of what happened the night before, to the benefit of the Pearlcatcher. The size of the area the clan consisted of, plus its sparse population meant that the two only saw a couple members before reaching the location of interest. Run down like a lot of the abandoned structures, the home had been receiving some care. This was most apparent when walking onto the structure, as the porch had been kept free of debris. The inside had been equally well-kept. The floors were clean, as were most of the furnishings, but that couldn’t remove the fact those same furnishings had fallen into disrepair long ago. Couches and chairs were torn and soiled with unknown stains, while the floor and ceiling were pocketed with holes and dents. There was also irreparable damage from exposure to the elements and weather, making the entire home a contradiction. Zylen and Clancy weren’t there to observe the house however. They were there for the family photos that filled some of the rooms and hallways. It wasn’t hard to find the framed photographs decorated a nearby hallway and stairwell, and after viewing a couple, they began to see why they were treated as anomalous. While adorning the walls as family photos should, nearly every photograph held different dragons inside their frames, with few of them looking related in any fashion. Contrasting elemental origins would be seen in a photo of what was clearly meant to be siblings, and while three breeds in a family wasn’t uncommon, to see upwards of six in a group photo was unheard of within a single family of only two or three generations. A voice from behind startled the two, “I see you’ve found cousin Cynthia. She was always a breath of fresh air in such a dull part of the family.” [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/836405177292554240/The_Face_No_One_Remembers.png[/img][/center] Turning to face the voice, the Fae found himself joined by a young Tundra. Out of all the breeds he expected, the one that struggled with recalling faces was the one he expected the least. She was also much younger than most of the members they had interacted with, brimming with energy and life unseen in others around them. Wary, Zylen pried at their comment, “[i]How[/i] do you know who is who in here? I don’t think I’ve seen the same dragon twice.” “Oh, that’s odd. May I see?” Zylen moved out of the way of the photographs, only to watch them shift as the Tundra began looking over them. She smiled, “See? Here’s two of Aunt Iris here!” Holding up two photographs he swore he had looked over prior, he now saw the same purple Guardian, smiling as she handled what was either her children or nieces. The furred dragon quickly returned them before finding more examples that had changed since he and Clancy looked at them last. “How is she…” Clancy mouthed silently, taking a step back from the young dragon. “I don’t know,” Zylen half muttered, quickly speaking up in case the sudden guest had heard his remark, “They didn’t look like that a moment ago.” “That’s what everyone else says. I don’t get it.” She turned to face the two of them, eyes widening, “Oh I’ve forgotten my manners! Name’s Indria Sykes, and I’m all that’s left of my family around here. Everyone else died protecting the clan or simply from getting sick. A couple moved away, sure, but we used to be proud of our heritage, if the photos don’t prove that.” “We heard you may have been all that remains,” Clancy chimed in, her smile forced, “Care to tell us when and how this started?” “I can’t tell you how, but this started soon after my grandma Adaline passed a couple years ago. I had been off exploring Sornieth at the time, but when I heard the news, I returned home. I had hoped to see more family to get in touch, but I saw none, only friends of hers and [i]their[/i] families. That night was when the pictures in our old home began to change, and that morning is when I started cleaning up this place. I’m hoping that if I’m able to repair it that it’ll make this stop.” “....have you considered starting your own family?” Zylen inquired, “Maybe that’ll help with this as well. Can’t have a nice clean house and have no one live in it.” He was reasonably concerned now that Indria was somehow at least partially responsible for what was going on, but didn’t want to possibly provoke her. She didn’t appear dangerous, as her behavior had been genuine so far, but he didn’t want to risk it after how many individuals he’d encountered that had later proven to hold ill intent towards him. “I would love to, but there’s no one around here that’s young enough to take as a mate,” she frowned, “And I don’t want to leave home to find one to bring back. So, I hope that maybe one will wander into the clan eventually. We still get some visitors after all, like you two and that Veilspun.” “I’m sorry it’s come to this for you,” he commented, unsure how to continue the conversation, “If you’d like, we can leave you be. We can’t stick around much longer after all.” “I understand,” the smile returned to her face, but her eyes still held longing and sadness, “I hope to see the two of you in the future.” Zylen’s heart sank as he left Indria to care for her former family’s home, but sighed as he felt he’d dodged something dangerous. Once a fair distance away, he spoke up to Clancy about the interaction, “Please tell me we’re on the same page here. She’s got to be the reason behind the shifting photographs, right?” “That appears to be the case,” Another unknown voice answered, and soon a Veilspun hovered into view, wings a blur. “I take it you two are with Magpie Manor?” [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/836400571593392168/unknown.png[/img][/center] “Who’s asking?” Clancy retorted, raising her defences. Looks like she had enough with being snuck up on. “Micah Amyr of Durian’s Circle,” he held out a claw to Zylen, which he took, “I was told to wait for members of the manor to show up.” Looking back at the maned dragon, the Fae could better see their faceted eyes, finding himself jealous of the boon. He kept his fans lowered in suspicion, “What for?” Micah grinned, ears raising in excitement, “I applied for a position of course! You [i]are[/i] in need of a scribe, correct?” The Fae’s frills splayed out randomly in sudden confusion at the news, “W-Well yeah, but I was beginning to think we wouldn’t get another with how Elanor and I have been running things.” “Consider yourself in luck then!” the small grey dragon opened up his arms proudly, “You’re looking at a premier researcher in Durian’s Circle’s Veilspun Division! I’ve written and proofread many works from across our institute and even aided in a few additions to the Tourmaline Archives!” “So, besides the job, why are you out here?” Zylen narrowed his eyes, “Why not go to the mansion instead?” “And where’s your swarm?” Clancy glared Micah down, “It’s a bit odd for a lone Veilspun to be out here. You aren’t keeping them hidden from view to get a jump on us are you?” There was sudden irritation in their jeweled eyes, “Don’t you [i]dare[/i] speak of that awful swarm! I may tolerate being around them, but there’s no being myself in there. You always have to handle what’s given to you whether you like it or not, and if you don’t like it the others will [i]make[/i] you like it. It’s atrocious and part of why I’m out here. Which, by the way, was to analyze the leylines here.” He huffed, crossing his arms, “Turns out there have been a lot of strange happenings here in the past and the Circle wanted me to investigate if the leylines were a part of that. My application got approved while I was out here and I received a letter notifying me of the approval and to stay here until members of the Manor came by to pick me up. So, here we are.” “Saile didn’t say anything about us picking up a new member,” Clancy turned her attention to the Fae, “What do you think?” “I think,” he began, raising his fans, “We’d be glad to welcome another inside the Manor’s walls. You haven’t been waiting around long, right?” “Only a couple days. Not enough to be a cause for concern,” the Veilspun eagerly replied. “See? This probably happened right before if not directly after we got the letter. Saile didn’t realize our newest member was going to be in the same location as us, but it ended up being a good coincidence in the end, saving some time.” “If you say so,” Clancy wasn’t convinced, but at least she was accepting of Micah’s addition. “Well, we’re not going to get home at a reasonable time standing around, and I’d hate to keep everyone waiting any longer than they have been.” He smiled, looking at the Veilspun joyfully, “I’m sure the others would love to meet you.” --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge So, I have absolutely no good reason as to why there was no post yesterday besides the fact I was grinding FGO with all my free time I had. I'm trying to make that up today with two posts since I have the time and motivation, so this is the first entry! Say hi to Micah, the new scribe! I initially wanted him to be an assistant to Zylen, but as I wrote him out more, I felt he fell into that role more. Galehaut is once again responsible for the lovely edit of his clothes, and I'll be adding him to the character roster after posting this! I'm really happy to have rolled a Veilspun, with them being the newest breed added and all that. Anyways, once characters get updated and whatnot, I'll be moving onto the pull I got today!
Day 51
Dodo

The next morning, Zylen awoke to find Clancy sprawled out on the bed provided to her, quietly snoring. There was no sign she had left the night before, aside from a small pool of oil beneath the window she had stared out at the night before. It had long since dried and soaked into the wooden floorboards, creating a dark stain that he doubted would be able to be washed away. With concern, he pulled himself to hover down to the floor below, remembering their task for today.

“Clancy?” he quietly called her name, gently shaking her. She groaned briefly, but didn’t respond further, “Clancy it’s morning. We need to finish investigating so we can be back at the mansion before nightfall.”

She grumbled something incoherent before finally opening her eyes groggily, “I feel like I haven’t slept at all. Is it really morning?”

“Are you alright?” Zylen provided what little support he could as the Pearlcatcher sat up.

She blinked a few times, shaking her head. After looking around the room, she let out a sigh, looking back at Zylen with knowing eyes, “What happened last night is not something I’m going to share with you. I will send Saile a letter, and maybe inform Elanor simply to log the occurrence, but I’m sorry. It’s not something I think you’ll enjoy knowing.”

While feeling a bit betrayed by her unwillingness, he respected her decision. She was going to inform at least one individual, so if he dared to pry, he’d likely be able to get the information. That, or she may change her mind. Regardless, they had a job to do, “I understand. You feeling any better at least?”

“Surprisingly, yes.” She flexed her braced arm, “Sadly this isn’t feeling any better, but I feel like myself again.” Expression darkening, she looked towards the eastern window, “I’m not sure it’s worth what I’ve done, but if it’s the only way to stop myself from turning against the mansion I’ll suffer through it.”

“Clancy,” Zylen stared her down, voice firm and as serious as he could make it, “You didn’t kill anyone, did you?”

“Oh by the Eleven! No! I’d never kill for the sake of being sane!” She practically shoved the Fae off of her, “It’s just...that family seemed so kind. I hope my actions haven’t ruined their way of life is all.”

“Alright, I’ll stop there then.” He dusted off his coat and readjusted his hat. “I only wanted to confirm that we won’t find anyone dead. No need to give me any more details if you don’t want to.” He found his way to the front door, “Anyways, get up and get ready. We have somewhere to be.”

The two saw and heard nothing of what happened the night before, to the benefit of the Pearlcatcher. The size of the area the clan consisted of, plus its sparse population meant that the two only saw a couple members before reaching the location of interest. Run down like a lot of the abandoned structures, the home had been receiving some care. This was most apparent when walking onto the structure, as the porch had been kept free of debris.

The inside had been equally well-kept. The floors were clean, as were most of the furnishings, but that couldn’t remove the fact those same furnishings had fallen into disrepair long ago. Couches and chairs were torn and soiled with unknown stains, while the floor and ceiling were pocketed with holes and dents. There was also irreparable damage from exposure to the elements and weather, making the entire home a contradiction.

Zylen and Clancy weren’t there to observe the house however. They were there for the family photos that filled some of the rooms and hallways. It wasn’t hard to find the framed photographs decorated a nearby hallway and stairwell, and after viewing a couple, they began to see why they were treated as anomalous. While adorning the walls as family photos should, nearly every photograph held different dragons inside their frames, with few of them looking related in any fashion. Contrasting elemental origins would be seen in a photo of what was clearly meant to be siblings, and while three breeds in a family wasn’t uncommon, to see upwards of six in a group photo was unheard of within a single family of only two or three generations.

A voice from behind startled the two, “I see you’ve found cousin Cynthia. She was always a breath of fresh air in such a dull part of the family.”
The_Face_No_One_Remembers.png

Turning to face the voice, the Fae found himself joined by a young Tundra. Out of all the breeds he expected, the one that struggled with recalling faces was the one he expected the least. She was also much younger than most of the members they had interacted with, brimming with energy and life unseen in others around them. Wary, Zylen pried at their comment, “How do you know who is who in here? I don’t think I’ve seen the same dragon twice.”

“Oh, that’s odd. May I see?” Zylen moved out of the way of the photographs, only to watch them shift as the Tundra began looking over them. She smiled, “See? Here’s two of Aunt Iris here!” Holding up two photographs he swore he had looked over prior, he now saw the same purple Guardian, smiling as she handled what was either her children or nieces. The furred dragon quickly returned them before finding more examples that had changed since he and Clancy looked at them last.

“How is she…” Clancy mouthed silently, taking a step back from the young dragon.

“I don’t know,” Zylen half muttered, quickly speaking up in case the sudden guest had heard his remark, “They didn’t look like that a moment ago.”

“That’s what everyone else says. I don’t get it.” She turned to face the two of them, eyes widening, “Oh I’ve forgotten my manners! Name’s Indria Sykes, and I’m all that’s left of my family around here. Everyone else died protecting the clan or simply from getting sick. A couple moved away, sure, but we used to be proud of our heritage, if the photos don’t prove that.”

“We heard you may have been all that remains,” Clancy chimed in, her smile forced, “Care to tell us when and how this started?”

“I can’t tell you how, but this started soon after my grandma Adaline passed a couple years ago. I had been off exploring Sornieth at the time, but when I heard the news, I returned home. I had hoped to see more family to get in touch, but I saw none, only friends of hers and their families. That night was when the pictures in our old home began to change, and that morning is when I started cleaning up this place. I’m hoping that if I’m able to repair it that it’ll make this stop.”

“....have you considered starting your own family?” Zylen inquired, “Maybe that’ll help with this as well. Can’t have a nice clean house and have no one live in it.” He was reasonably concerned now that Indria was somehow at least partially responsible for what was going on, but didn’t want to possibly provoke her. She didn’t appear dangerous, as her behavior had been genuine so far, but he didn’t want to risk it after how many individuals he’d encountered that had later proven to hold ill intent towards him.

“I would love to, but there’s no one around here that’s young enough to take as a mate,” she frowned, “And I don’t want to leave home to find one to bring back. So, I hope that maybe one will wander into the clan eventually. We still get some visitors after all, like you two and that Veilspun.”

“I’m sorry it’s come to this for you,” he commented, unsure how to continue the conversation, “If you’d like, we can leave you be. We can’t stick around much longer after all.”

“I understand,” the smile returned to her face, but her eyes still held longing and sadness, “I hope to see the two of you in the future.”

Zylen’s heart sank as he left Indria to care for her former family’s home, but sighed as he felt he’d dodged something dangerous. Once a fair distance away, he spoke up to Clancy about the interaction, “Please tell me we’re on the same page here. She’s got to be the reason behind the shifting photographs, right?”

“That appears to be the case,” Another unknown voice answered, and soon a Veilspun hovered into view, wings a blur. “I take it you two are with Magpie Manor?”
unknown.png

“Who’s asking?” Clancy retorted, raising her defences. Looks like she had enough with being snuck up on.

“Micah Amyr of Durian’s Circle,” he held out a claw to Zylen, which he took, “I was told to wait for members of the manor to show up.”

Looking back at the maned dragon, the Fae could better see their faceted eyes, finding himself jealous of the boon. He kept his fans lowered in suspicion, “What for?”

Micah grinned, ears raising in excitement, “I applied for a position of course! You are in need of a scribe, correct?”

The Fae’s frills splayed out randomly in sudden confusion at the news, “W-Well yeah, but I was beginning to think we wouldn’t get another with how Elanor and I have been running things.”

“Consider yourself in luck then!” the small grey dragon opened up his arms proudly, “You’re looking at a premier researcher in Durian’s Circle’s Veilspun Division! I’ve written and proofread many works from across our institute and even aided in a few additions to the Tourmaline Archives!”

“So, besides the job, why are you out here?” Zylen narrowed his eyes, “Why not go to the mansion instead?”

“And where’s your swarm?” Clancy glared Micah down, “It’s a bit odd for a lone Veilspun to be out here. You aren’t keeping them hidden from view to get a jump on us are you?”

There was sudden irritation in their jeweled eyes, “Don’t you dare speak of that awful swarm! I may tolerate being around them, but there’s no being myself in there. You always have to handle what’s given to you whether you like it or not, and if you don’t like it the others will make you like it. It’s atrocious and part of why I’m out here. Which, by the way, was to analyze the leylines here.” He huffed, crossing his arms, “Turns out there have been a lot of strange happenings here in the past and the Circle wanted me to investigate if the leylines were a part of that. My application got approved while I was out here and I received a letter notifying me of the approval and to stay here until members of the Manor came by to pick me up. So, here we are.”

“Saile didn’t say anything about us picking up a new member,” Clancy turned her attention to the Fae, “What do you think?”

“I think,” he began, raising his fans, “We’d be glad to welcome another inside the Manor’s walls. You haven’t been waiting around long, right?”

“Only a couple days. Not enough to be a cause for concern,” the Veilspun eagerly replied.

“See? This probably happened right before if not directly after we got the letter. Saile didn’t realize our newest member was going to be in the same location as us, but it ended up being a good coincidence in the end, saving some time.”

“If you say so,” Clancy wasn’t convinced, but at least she was accepting of Micah’s addition.

“Well, we’re not going to get home at a reasonable time standing around, and I’d hate to keep everyone waiting any longer than they have been.” He smiled, looking at the Veilspun joyfully, “I’m sure the others would love to meet you.”

So, I have absolutely no good reason as to why there was no post yesterday besides the fact I was grinding FGO with all my free time I had. I'm trying to make that up today with two posts since I have the time and motivation, so this is the first entry!

Say hi to Micah, the new scribe! I initially wanted him to be an assistant to Zylen, but as I wrote him out more, I felt he fell into that role more. Galehaut is once again responsible for the lovely edit of his clothes, and I'll be adding him to the character roster after posting this! I'm really happy to have rolled a Veilspun, with them being the newest breed added and all that.

Anyways, once characters get updated and whatnot, I'll be moving onto the pull I got today!
[center][b]Day 52[/b] [item=Empty Inkwell] [b]Content Warning: Discussion and contemplations about death[/b][/center] Introducing Micah to his new coworkers the following morning went over very well. It didn’t take long for Zylen to catch Jaxon’s mournful gaze as he brought up the Veilspun’s role as the new Scribe. The two were the only ones who remembered Slaye having ever been a part of the mansion by name. Elanor and Jeremiah were witness to vague mentions of a scribe that had passed, but with Meir’s death only the two of them were left to remember the pale Guardian. He didn’t stick around long after hearing his new coworker introduce himself, leaving outside to tend to the grounds. While Zylen wished to catch a word with Jaxon later, he left the dining hall with the Veilspun by his side. He needed to introduce him to the room they’d be working in, and with staff trying their best to clean up the messes left by the uninvited guest while trying not to provoke the creature themselves, they weren’t keen on entering some of the rooms meant for “specialized” staff such as himself. After eagerly showing their newest guest to other occupied rooms and public spaces, he stopped at the familiar aging door that marked where the scribe was to reside. He hesitated a moment as he placed a claw on the door’s surface, old memories resurfacing. As he slid the door open however, recollection and nostalgia was quickly replaced with fear. The room was a disaster of spilled papers, quills and ink, with chairs cast aside and even a couple drawers pulled open at one of the desks. A hole found in one of the corners quickly revealed the resident pest as the one responsible, and before long Apollyon joined the two for cleanup, investigating what had happened. Nearly three hours later and the room was in order again, with some of the supplies having gone missing thanks to the living doll’s antics. Apollyon commented that it was good that they had taken mere nesting materials instead of anything dangerous, and that this sort of activity was better than another attack. The Spiral obstructed the hole with a nearby desk until it could get repaired, but situating Micah didn’t take long afterwards. The Veilspun was certainly alarmed by the entire ordeal, but took it over well, having been warned far in advance. The next challenge was that he was tasked immediately with a report. With Clancy and Zylen having finished the most recent assigned mission, it was now Micah’s job to compile the entire thing. Having to explain why he could only write about Clancy’s experience didn’t go over well, but the promise of a second copy for the archives calmed him some. Soon enough, the two of them had turned in drafts of what had happened to them, and the Veilspun got quick to work. The Fae left him alone the rest of the day, returning to his own tasks in the library. Having missed nearly three days of work, Zylen was frantic to catch back up. He was quick to start back up where he left off in his catalogue, trying not to rush through entries as he remembered the strange books he had come across in the past. And sure enough, he did stumble across one right before he was interrupted by a visit from Jaxon. He expected to feel some level of joy in seeing the Guardian stop by, but instead he felt the opposite, as if the large dragon was there solely to disrupt his important work. He was able to set the feeling aside along with the strange book before approaching Jaxon. He raised his fans in greeting, “Jaxon! To what do I owe the visit?” “I believe you know that,” he let out a sigh, “I know it feels like ages ago, but it doesn’t feel right having another scribe in place of Slaye. Even if neither of us got to know him for long, he came along with us.” “Yeah, I know a bit about how you feel,” Zylen lowered his fans some in mourning, remembering he was the only one who knew Slaye was likely dead rather than out in the world still. “Replacements are bound to happen. I still have a hard time accepting Jeremiah in here. He doesn’t hold Meir’s spot as a researcher, but he still accompanies me whenever he gets tired of Elanor. We work together on finding information or discussing ideas. But it’s not the same. Jeremiah can never replace Meir, and no future assistants I get won’t be able to either.” There was momentary silence before Jaxon spoke again, “But you accept Jeremiah as himself, not Meir. That’s where you were going with this, right?” Zylen nodded, “Yeah. I figured you would be on the same page as me.” Raising his fans again, he hoped the advice would help Jaxon along, “Micah will never be Slaye, but accept him as he is. Slaye was a scribe, but so is Micah. They both have their ways of doing things, but they accomplish the same goals despite that.” The large dragon relaxed, “Thank you. It means a great deal that you and I can still get along like this despite our decreased interactions. Takes a weight off of me.” “So, want to catch up?” He didn’t want to take more time away from his work, but he rarely got a chance to speak with Jaxon. “I’m sure there’s plenty to talk about.” “You know what?” He moved to a nearby table meant for larger breeds, setting his staff against one of the shelves, “I think that’s what we both need. You want to start or should I?” “I think you should start. I’ve done enough talking lately.” ------------- Jaxon awoke in a graveyard. He was well aware of the one he tended to as part of his job, and this was not it. It was smaller, with far simpler headstones marking each grave. He became slightly aware he was dreaming when he found no way for him to have entered the area. There were no gates to welcome visitors, only a wrought iron fence, and the trees above were far too dense to allow him to fly in. So, he wandered. He didn’t take note of the tombstones until his second passing around the area. The underbrush was as thick as the trees above, and without his magic working, there was no chance at escaping. As he looked at the tombstones, he recognized a few names as those he recalled having passed from his home clan. He was never close to most of them, but it pained his heart to not see them around anymore. Then he found Slaye’s tombstone. It was no different than the others, but to see the date matched the day he disappeared confirmed some subconscious thoughts in his mind. He still didn’t believe the fellow Guardian was physically deceased, but the day he left he might as well have passed on like those clan members from before. He would never see him again, let alone converse about the events unfolding around them and the mansion. To the others, he never existed, a fragment left behind in his and Zylen’s memories. He lingered there for a moment before looking at the graves that followed, only to see more members of the mansion. First there was Apollyon, then Elanor, and it continued until no names remained but his own to be found. The dates of their deaths were marked with the same certainty as all the others, minus two. Zylen and Clancy already had dates on theirs as well, but there was a second date below the first, something Jaxon wasn’t quite sure how to take. He didn’t linger on the two of them for long as he began to search for his own grave among the tombstones. And he did find it. One row in from the others, he spotted his name, finding the date of his death scraped out and unreadable. He was not one to grow frustrated, but after seeing everyone else’s dates be treated as if they had occurred, not knowing his own was terrifying. If he was going to know when everyone else was going to die, why couldn’t he know his own date? When he looked up from his tombstone, he found the writing on the others had shifted as well. They [i]all[/i] said his name now, each containing a destroyed death date as if to mock him. He looked over each and every one of those tombstones time and time again with no change. So, he found a spot among the graves that he liked best and laid in front of it, staring at the headstone before waiting to wake from whatever this was. This time when he looked up, all the other graves were gone. The fences had closed in around him, leaving a small ring of grass around the lone tombstone he had chosen to focus on. There was still no gate, and no clear way through the trees or underbrush. Only him and the lone headstone with his name carved on it. However, this time when he looked back down, he saw a date. And then he fell into the earth below. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge Sorry this is shorter. Got a bit distracted, but also wasn't quite sure where to go with this without making it mostly Zylen and Jaxon talking about stuff the audience knows about. Jaxon did wind up marked however, so I'm happy to see someone new get a mark. His is The End, which I enjoyed writing a dream sequence for. As for Micah, we'll see more of him soon. As scribe his role is fairly important for this, so it's probably best if I start including him early. That said, he's level 1 while the rest of the crew is level 6+ so I am worried for when I get a food item pull and have to bring him along. Especially since I'm hitting the venues where enemies can one-shot level 1s like him. Also, no Zylen is still not over Meir. He misses the guy a lot even if I don't bring it up constantly. It's hard to find someone like that a second time, and he's doing his best with Jeremiah. Lastly, new mission gets rolled tomorrow! I'm excited to see what I get because I love using these for worldbuilding. Until then, I need sleep because I got work in the morning.
Day 52
Empty Inkwell
Content Warning: Discussion and contemplations about death

Introducing Micah to his new coworkers the following morning went over very well. It didn’t take long for Zylen to catch Jaxon’s mournful gaze as he brought up the Veilspun’s role as the new Scribe. The two were the only ones who remembered Slaye having ever been a part of the mansion by name. Elanor and Jeremiah were witness to vague mentions of a scribe that had passed, but with Meir’s death only the two of them were left to remember the pale Guardian. He didn’t stick around long after hearing his new coworker introduce himself, leaving outside to tend to the grounds.

While Zylen wished to catch a word with Jaxon later, he left the dining hall with the Veilspun by his side. He needed to introduce him to the room they’d be working in, and with staff trying their best to clean up the messes left by the uninvited guest while trying not to provoke the creature themselves, they weren’t keen on entering some of the rooms meant for “specialized” staff such as himself. After eagerly showing their newest guest to other occupied rooms and public spaces, he stopped at the familiar aging door that marked where the scribe was to reside. He hesitated a moment as he placed a claw on the door’s surface, old memories resurfacing.

As he slid the door open however, recollection and nostalgia was quickly replaced with fear. The room was a disaster of spilled papers, quills and ink, with chairs cast aside and even a couple drawers pulled open at one of the desks. A hole found in one of the corners quickly revealed the resident pest as the one responsible, and before long Apollyon joined the two for cleanup, investigating what had happened.

Nearly three hours later and the room was in order again, with some of the supplies having gone missing thanks to the living doll’s antics. Apollyon commented that it was good that they had taken mere nesting materials instead of anything dangerous, and that this sort of activity was better than another attack. The Spiral obstructed the hole with a nearby desk until it could get repaired, but situating Micah didn’t take long afterwards. The Veilspun was certainly alarmed by the entire ordeal, but took it over well, having been warned far in advance.

The next challenge was that he was tasked immediately with a report. With Clancy and Zylen having finished the most recent assigned mission, it was now Micah’s job to compile the entire thing. Having to explain why he could only write about Clancy’s experience didn’t go over well, but the promise of a second copy for the archives calmed him some. Soon enough, the two of them had turned in drafts of what had happened to them, and the Veilspun got quick to work. The Fae left him alone the rest of the day, returning to his own tasks in the library.

Having missed nearly three days of work, Zylen was frantic to catch back up. He was quick to start back up where he left off in his catalogue, trying not to rush through entries as he remembered the strange books he had come across in the past. And sure enough, he did stumble across one right before he was interrupted by a visit from Jaxon. He expected to feel some level of joy in seeing the Guardian stop by, but instead he felt the opposite, as if the large dragon was there solely to disrupt his important work.

He was able to set the feeling aside along with the strange book before approaching Jaxon. He raised his fans in greeting, “Jaxon! To what do I owe the visit?”

“I believe you know that,” he let out a sigh, “I know it feels like ages ago, but it doesn’t feel right having another scribe in place of Slaye. Even if neither of us got to know him for long, he came along with us.”

“Yeah, I know a bit about how you feel,” Zylen lowered his fans some in mourning, remembering he was the only one who knew Slaye was likely dead rather than out in the world still. “Replacements are bound to happen. I still have a hard time accepting Jeremiah in here. He doesn’t hold Meir’s spot as a researcher, but he still accompanies me whenever he gets tired of Elanor. We work together on finding information or discussing ideas. But it’s not the same. Jeremiah can never replace Meir, and no future assistants I get won’t be able to either.”

There was momentary silence before Jaxon spoke again, “But you accept Jeremiah as himself, not Meir. That’s where you were going with this, right?”

Zylen nodded, “Yeah. I figured you would be on the same page as me.” Raising his fans again, he hoped the advice would help Jaxon along, “Micah will never be Slaye, but accept him as he is. Slaye was a scribe, but so is Micah. They both have their ways of doing things, but they accomplish the same goals despite that.”

The large dragon relaxed, “Thank you. It means a great deal that you and I can still get along like this despite our decreased interactions. Takes a weight off of me.”

“So, want to catch up?” He didn’t want to take more time away from his work, but he rarely got a chance to speak with Jaxon. “I’m sure there’s plenty to talk about.”

“You know what?” He moved to a nearby table meant for larger breeds, setting his staff against one of the shelves, “I think that’s what we both need. You want to start or should I?”

“I think you should start. I’ve done enough talking lately.”

Jaxon awoke in a graveyard.

He was well aware of the one he tended to as part of his job, and this was not it. It was smaller, with far simpler headstones marking each grave. He became slightly aware he was dreaming when he found no way for him to have entered the area. There were no gates to welcome visitors, only a wrought iron fence, and the trees above were far too dense to allow him to fly in. So, he wandered.

He didn’t take note of the tombstones until his second passing around the area. The underbrush was as thick as the trees above, and without his magic working, there was no chance at escaping. As he looked at the tombstones, he recognized a few names as those he recalled having passed from his home clan. He was never close to most of them, but it pained his heart to not see them around anymore.

Then he found Slaye’s tombstone.

It was no different than the others, but to see the date matched the day he disappeared confirmed some subconscious thoughts in his mind. He still didn’t believe the fellow Guardian was physically deceased, but the day he left he might as well have passed on like those clan members from before. He would never see him again, let alone converse about the events unfolding around them and the mansion. To the others, he never existed, a fragment left behind in his and Zylen’s memories.

He lingered there for a moment before looking at the graves that followed, only to see more members of the mansion. First there was Apollyon, then Elanor, and it continued until no names remained but his own to be found. The dates of their deaths were marked with the same certainty as all the others, minus two. Zylen and Clancy already had dates on theirs as well, but there was a second date below the first, something Jaxon wasn’t quite sure how to take. He didn’t linger on the two of them for long as he began to search for his own grave among the tombstones.

And he did find it. One row in from the others, he spotted his name, finding the date of his death scraped out and unreadable. He was not one to grow frustrated, but after seeing everyone else’s dates be treated as if they had occurred, not knowing his own was terrifying. If he was going to know when everyone else was going to die, why couldn’t he know his own date?

When he looked up from his tombstone, he found the writing on the others had shifted as well. They all said his name now, each containing a destroyed death date as if to mock him. He looked over each and every one of those tombstones time and time again with no change. So, he found a spot among the graves that he liked best and laid in front of it, staring at the headstone before waiting to wake from whatever this was.

This time when he looked up, all the other graves were gone. The fences had closed in around him, leaving a small ring of grass around the lone tombstone he had chosen to focus on. There was still no gate, and no clear way through the trees or underbrush. Only him and the lone headstone with his name carved on it. However, this time when he looked back down, he saw a date.

And then he fell into the earth below.

Sorry this is shorter. Got a bit distracted, but also wasn't quite sure where to go with this without making it mostly Zylen and Jaxon talking about stuff the audience knows about. Jaxon did wind up marked however, so I'm happy to see someone new get a mark. His is The End, which I enjoyed writing a dream sequence for.

As for Micah, we'll see more of him soon. As scribe his role is fairly important for this, so it's probably best if I start including him early. That said, he's level 1 while the rest of the crew is level 6+ so I am worried for when I get a food item pull and have to bring him along. Especially since I'm hitting the venues where enemies can one-shot level 1s like him.

Also, no Zylen is still not over Meir. He misses the guy a lot even if I don't bring it up constantly. It's hard to find someone like that a second time, and he's doing his best with Jeremiah.

Lastly, new mission gets rolled tomorrow! I'm excited to see what I get because I love using these for worldbuilding. Until then, I need sleep because I got work in the morning.
[center][b]Day 53[/b] [item=White-Eared Hummingbird][/center] There was a stillness about in the air that was all but tangible as Zylen left his room that morning. There was no sound of the bustle of morning activity that preceded breakfast as everyone woke up and prepared for the day ahead. Guard up, the Fae left his room expecting to be greeted by familiar fog that normally accompanied it. Instead, he found a member of staff on their way to his room, taking no note of him other than gesturing for him to head downstairs. As he slowly glided into the dining hall, the somber faces of his coworkers turned to face him. Breakfast had been set out for him, and he slowly found his way to his spot at the table, troubled by the air around everyone. No one spoke to one another as a courier rushed in with the letter containing Saile’s newest mission, quickly backing off as they noticed the scene in front of them. They spoke up briefly with regards to the letter, only to be met with glares from the rest of the staff. It was after his attention was drawn to the main dining table that Zylen noticed Jaxon’s staff laid across the tablecloth. And then he noticed that the Guardian was strangely missing from the table. Slowly piecing together why everyone was gathered, the Fae was overcome with a wave of despair, “No….” He pushed himself out of his seat, “No no no. This can’t….” His thoughts began to blur as he recalled their pleasant conversation from the day before, “How?” Giving no time for someone to stop him, he bolted first out the dining hall and then to the outside. He took to the sky to get a better view of the grounds below, searching for any sign of Jaxon. The Guardian was large enough to be seen almost anywhere looking down like this, and yet Zylen didn’t see anything that even noted activity from him. Jaxon didn’t leave based on his Charge remaining, but then what happened…? “Zylen!” Clancy nearly barreled into the Fae as she ascended to meet him. When she found herself level with the much smaller dragon, she quickly embraced him, holding onto him tight, “Howl found him in the graveyard this morning. I’m sorry.” “Did…” The Fae found himself crying now, “Did he at least pass peacefully?” “I-I wish I could say yes,” Clancy’s voice was shaky and full of uncertainty, “There were no injuries, but…” Her voice trailed off. “The Bogsneak was there, wasn’t he?” He didn’t hesitate, “That’s why Howl was there first thing in the morning. To look for him.” The Pearlcatcher gave the small dragon a pat on the back, slowly descending. She didn’t say another word until they had reached the ground, “If it makes you feel better, Howl told us he looked at peace when he found him. I doubt if the Bogsneak had anything to do with Jaxon’s death, he’d look far worse. He was a tenacious one after all.” Zylen looked back in the general direction of the graveyard, “That he was.” He was unsure what to do now, paralyzed with the sudden news and the emotions it brought along. He looked back at the expansive grounds before him, “If you don’t mind Clancy, I need a minute. I promise I’ll be back.” “Then I’ll be here waiting for you,” she returned a small smile to the Fae, “Gotta make sure you don’t do anything rash after all.” “Thanks.” He wasn’t quite sure where to go until he found himself at the edge of the large lake at the edge of the mansion’s grounds. He supposed he was subconsciously pulled to where he nearly drowned, but how he wound up there wasn’t important. Instead, he stared into the water, looking back at his reflection. It hadn’t even been two months and yet he found himself all that remained of the trio that entered. Yet, beneath all the mourning he wished to feel, that feeling of being the only one, being alone, gave him comfort. Knowing he was now the only dragon who knew of certain events of the past brought some strange form of joy. He wouldn’t be bothered about such things anymore, giving him more time to work alone. It left him with a surge of energy that left him equal parts exhilarated and gross, and as he sat by the water’s edge, he contemplated what this all meant. At least, until he was suddenly caught up in Elanor using her ring, his vision swapping briefly to that of the Tundra’s office. Apollyon was with her, the Spiral’s eyes once again tinged with fear. It was over in an instant, snapping Zylen back into reality as he saw through his own eyes once more. Lingering on his reflection for a few more seconds, he began his trek back towards the manor itself, pleased to be greeted by Clancy as promised upon his return. He didn’t hear anything about the mission that night besides him not being involved. And besides the quiet skittering from their uninvited guest in the walls, the mansion’s interior remained silent. Everyone was mourning, and none moreso than the Fae. At least, that’s how he wished he felt. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge HI I PROMISE I DIDN'T INTEND FOR THIS TO HAPPEN THIS WAY. Though seriously, I pulled Apollyon, Eowyn, and Jaxon today and was hoping for a rough, but normal venture into the Delta. And then I got horrible luck in a Dunerunner pack between dodges and crits and next thing I know, Jaxon's down. Apollyon and Eowyn have gained a level, so I suppose that's a good thing to come out of this. Also, welcome to Zylen beginning to realize something may be wrong with him. And also me slowly getting him paired with Clancy. Who allowed me to make these two a couple. This is literally the worst possible pair I could have right now. Anyways, I hope my luck is better for tomorrow. I hate that as soon as I got a new dragon I lose a different one. As usual, Jaxon [i]is[/i] up for grabs should anyone want him. If not, I'll exalt him in a couple days.
Day 53
White-Eared Hummingbird

There was a stillness about in the air that was all but tangible as Zylen left his room that morning. There was no sound of the bustle of morning activity that preceded breakfast as everyone woke up and prepared for the day ahead. Guard up, the Fae left his room expecting to be greeted by familiar fog that normally accompanied it. Instead, he found a member of staff on their way to his room, taking no note of him other than gesturing for him to head downstairs.

As he slowly glided into the dining hall, the somber faces of his coworkers turned to face him. Breakfast had been set out for him, and he slowly found his way to his spot at the table, troubled by the air around everyone. No one spoke to one another as a courier rushed in with the letter containing Saile’s newest mission, quickly backing off as they noticed the scene in front of them. They spoke up briefly with regards to the letter, only to be met with glares from the rest of the staff.

It was after his attention was drawn to the main dining table that Zylen noticed Jaxon’s staff laid across the tablecloth. And then he noticed that the Guardian was strangely missing from the table. Slowly piecing together why everyone was gathered, the Fae was overcome with a wave of despair, “No….” He pushed himself out of his seat, “No no no. This can’t….” His thoughts began to blur as he recalled their pleasant conversation from the day before, “How?”

Giving no time for someone to stop him, he bolted first out the dining hall and then to the outside. He took to the sky to get a better view of the grounds below, searching for any sign of Jaxon. The Guardian was large enough to be seen almost anywhere looking down like this, and yet Zylen didn’t see anything that even noted activity from him. Jaxon didn’t leave based on his Charge remaining, but then what happened…?

“Zylen!”

Clancy nearly barreled into the Fae as she ascended to meet him. When she found herself level with the much smaller dragon, she quickly embraced him, holding onto him tight, “Howl found him in the graveyard this morning. I’m sorry.”

“Did…” The Fae found himself crying now, “Did he at least pass peacefully?”

“I-I wish I could say yes,” Clancy’s voice was shaky and full of uncertainty, “There were no injuries, but…” Her voice trailed off.

“The Bogsneak was there, wasn’t he?” He didn’t hesitate, “That’s why Howl was there first thing in the morning. To look for him.”

The Pearlcatcher gave the small dragon a pat on the back, slowly descending. She didn’t say another word until they had reached the ground, “If it makes you feel better, Howl told us he looked at peace when he found him. I doubt if the Bogsneak had anything to do with Jaxon’s death, he’d look far worse. He was a tenacious one after all.”

Zylen looked back in the general direction of the graveyard, “That he was.” He was unsure what to do now, paralyzed with the sudden news and the emotions it brought along. He looked back at the expansive grounds before him, “If you don’t mind Clancy, I need a minute. I promise I’ll be back.”

“Then I’ll be here waiting for you,” she returned a small smile to the Fae, “Gotta make sure you don’t do anything rash after all.”

“Thanks.”

He wasn’t quite sure where to go until he found himself at the edge of the large lake at the edge of the mansion’s grounds. He supposed he was subconsciously pulled to where he nearly drowned, but how he wound up there wasn’t important. Instead, he stared into the water, looking back at his reflection. It hadn’t even been two months and yet he found himself all that remained of the trio that entered.

Yet, beneath all the mourning he wished to feel, that feeling of being the only one, being alone, gave him comfort. Knowing he was now the only dragon who knew of certain events of the past brought some strange form of joy. He wouldn’t be bothered about such things anymore, giving him more time to work alone. It left him with a surge of energy that left him equal parts exhilarated and gross, and as he sat by the water’s edge, he contemplated what this all meant.

At least, until he was suddenly caught up in Elanor using her ring, his vision swapping briefly to that of the Tundra’s office. Apollyon was with her, the Spiral’s eyes once again tinged with fear. It was over in an instant, snapping Zylen back into reality as he saw through his own eyes once more. Lingering on his reflection for a few more seconds, he began his trek back towards the manor itself, pleased to be greeted by Clancy as promised upon his return.

He didn’t hear anything about the mission that night besides him not being involved. And besides the quiet skittering from their uninvited guest in the walls, the mansion’s interior remained silent. Everyone was mourning, and none moreso than the Fae.

At least, that’s how he wished he felt.

HI I PROMISE I DIDN'T INTEND FOR THIS TO HAPPEN THIS WAY.

Though seriously, I pulled Apollyon, Eowyn, and Jaxon today and was hoping for a rough, but normal venture into the Delta. And then I got horrible luck in a Dunerunner pack between dodges and crits and next thing I know, Jaxon's down. Apollyon and Eowyn have gained a level, so I suppose that's a good thing to come out of this.

Also, welcome to Zylen beginning to realize something may be wrong with him. And also me slowly getting him paired with Clancy. Who allowed me to make these two a couple. This is literally the worst possible pair I could have right now.

Anyways, I hope my luck is better for tomorrow. I hate that as soon as I got a new dragon I lose a different one. As usual, Jaxon is up for grabs should anyone want him. If not, I'll exalt him in a couple days.
[center][b]Day 54[/b] [item=Zalis][/center] Zylen needed someone to distract him. He thought if he kept himself occupied, he’d find himself lingering on the events of yesterday. Instead he found himself going back to how he felt [i]bothered[/i] by others interacting with him as of late. He could read their concern towards his wellbeing, yet all he wanted was for them to leave him to his work. He could accomplish more alone without another drawing his attention away. The response wasn’t normal, the Fae could tell that much, but at the same time it came to him almost naturally. He found it hard to resist snapping back at his coworkers to return to his job quicker, and had to fight the urge to leave group meetings early. He had already drafted up a letter to Saile about his strange behavior. What few concerns he could bring himself to write down were there, but they didn’t feel genuine. As if he was making a big deal out of nothing. He had thought of bringing Clancy or Elanor into this, yet the same pervasive feeling of his mental state having nothing to do with them stopped him from acting. So, he went back to working the library, filling his catalogue. He hoped to have felt joy whenever he heard someone enter the library. What he got instead was a creeping feeling of disgust for his work being interrupted. After an internal struggle on whether or not to hide, the Fae made his way to the library entrance, finding Clancy. The Pearlcatcher’s eyes were wide with fear as they barricaded the doorway with a nearby desk and chairs, tentatively moving away once she decided her setup was sturdy enough. Alerted to Zylen’s presence, she faced him, body tense, “It’s after me again. I think I’ve managed to block…” He lowered his smaller pair of frills in irritation, “Clancy, did you forget that pest [i]moves through the walls[/i]? It’ll just burrow it’s way in here!” “Not anymore it won’t,” A third voice spoke up, this time belonging to Howl. The Tundra’s voice was tinged with pain, but he was confident in his words, “Landed one attack and it ran off. It won’t be back.” Hastily removing the blockage and pulling open the doors revealed Howl to be mostly unscathed, save for a couple scratches on one of his wings and across his arms. Injuries shallow thanks to his fur, it also helped soak up what little blood seeped from the wounds. Despite his minor injuries, the Tundra’s breath was slightly labored, something he took note of before questions could be asked. “Apollyon’s right about confronting them. Be careful. I’m going to the infirmary.” “Mind if I join you?” Zylen broke through his previous disinterest in the event unfolding in front of him. There was relief and discomfort in asking the question, but he wanted out of the library at the moment. “It may help to have someone with you as well.” “Thank you.” The Tundra started moving, not bothering to check if the Fae was following behind. The trip was brief, with no words exchanged between the two, but something was clearly wrong with the furred dragon by the time they arrived. Movement slowing as time passed, it became more and more apparent that Howl was in increasing amounts of pain. Helping open the door for the Tundra, Zylen expected the small subset of medical staff to be drawn to the two of them. The team was small but well-versed in simple procedures and tests to give injured or sick dragons. It was enough to keep those admitted in alive long enough to get a doctor with more expertise inside the mansion. Should an intense situation arise however, there was little they could do to stop the worst from happening. The scene that greeted him instead was unlike anything he had seen up until this point. The staff were running around carrying various supplies from one part of the room to another. Unopened boxes lay out across the floor and on some of the beds, organized based on what was contained within. As the two cautiously entered, the Fae made note of a small pile off in a corner, appearing to be full of material to discard. At the center of it all was an unfamiliar dragon barking out orders, who quickly turned to face them. [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537772951647289375/837151491416522783/68830654_350.png[/img][/center] “You two!” The Spiral called out, “Get this one situated over on Bed Fourteen and clean him up!” She then physically grabbed the one Fae on staff, nearly causing them to drop what they held in their arms, “Grab antibiotics and painkillers stat!” Without batting an eye, she turned to a Coatl that had stopped to look at Zylen and Howl’s entry, “Get back to work! I don’t recall asking you to stop!” The blur of movement left the Fae dizzy, but he quickly found a seat in a chair near the bed Howl was put into. The attending nurses were already preparing an IV and cleaning his wounds, the Fae from before soon joining them with glass bottles full of the medications he was tasked with obtaining. Zylen didn’t notice the Spiral’s approach as he watched on, startled when he shifted his gaze to find himself face-to-face with her. “You,” she began, curiosity sparking in her eyes, “Have unnatural coloring on your scales. How did they get bleached like that?” “Magic fog I guess.” His response lacked any sort of restraint, still feeling imposed on by the yellow dragon in front of him. “I suppose it’s irreversible at this point, but noted.” She quickly pulled out a small clipboard with an attached pen, quickly writing down notes. “And what did you say your name was?” “Zylen Myst,” he lowered his fans, “Who are you?” “Doctor Mariela Thairne,” her response lacked the energy he expected as she remained wrapped up in her work, “Care to tell me what’s going on with your friend?” “Only if you tell me what you’re doing here.” “I’ve been hired on by Professor Saile to act as head doctor,” she looked around the room distastefully, “And from the looks of it, you’ve needed someone like me. This place was a disorganized disaster.” “I thought we only got experienced medical help from external parties,” he commented, lowering his fans further, “You don’t exactly…” “I did [i]not[/i] spend nearly a decade of my life earning a doctorate to be insulted by a Fae who can hardly keep his own library in check!” She snapped. She glared him down, “You [i]dare[/i] speak ill of my abilities again and I’ll make sure you never fly again. Understood?” He was a little more than intimidated to say the least, “U-Understood.” “Now, tell me what happened to your friend so he can get the aid he needs.” The Fae wasted no time explaining what had happened, even elaborating on their current pest problem. He pointed out the newly sealed wall to the doctor as well, who was quick to note the former entrance for their uninvited guest. Upon hearing that the doll the creature inhabited held its own strange properties, Mariela grabbed another member of the medical staff, requesting they grab Apollyon for answers. She was met with a shaky reply stating the Spiral had left on Saile’s most recent mission. Frustrated, but accepting of the situation, she asked them to grab Elanor instead, hoping the archivist might have more information. Zylen didn’t stick around long after that. The growing crowd around him with the bustle of life made it nearly impossible to. The first chance he got he dismissed himself, darting back to the library to be alone once again. He found relief in the silence, taking a few moments to recompose himself before returning to work. All went well until he returned to his office to grab more documents in regards to the strange books he’d been slowly chipping away at. The rough draft of his letter was gone. -------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge Pinkerton believes in whiplash apparently. Over here still in disbelief over Jaxon's sudden death, only to be given a wonderful new addition to the cast. [s]Breed variety? What's that?[/s] I really hope that this isn't the start of me suddenly getting like four new dragons over the span of a week. I'm not sure what I'd do with so many new cast members to develop. That said, I am adoring writing Mariela so far. Not sure how active of a member she'll be yet, but I do love that I have a doctor in the mansion now. She is notably upset with the rather negligent and compliant staff and will be spending a good deal of her first few days whipping them into shape. I'll be adding her to character roster shortly after this post! On a final note: I almost didn't post today. I was utter mush after work today with a bit of a pressure headache that wouldn't go away. I struggled immensely with grabbing a dragon for this pull since I couldn't get any good vibes from my choices. I rested a while and got the energy and motivation back though, so here's this! [s]Yes I don't just pick the very first dragon I see at the lowest price in Gems/Treasure. My picks are still one of the cheapest options, but I like looking at a dragon and getting ideas rather than just grabbing the first thing I see and trying to make it work.[/s]
Day 54
Zalis

Zylen needed someone to distract him.

He thought if he kept himself occupied, he’d find himself lingering on the events of yesterday. Instead he found himself going back to how he felt bothered by others interacting with him as of late. He could read their concern towards his wellbeing, yet all he wanted was for them to leave him to his work. He could accomplish more alone without another drawing his attention away. The response wasn’t normal, the Fae could tell that much, but at the same time it came to him almost naturally. He found it hard to resist snapping back at his coworkers to return to his job quicker, and had to fight the urge to leave group meetings early.

He had already drafted up a letter to Saile about his strange behavior. What few concerns he could bring himself to write down were there, but they didn’t feel genuine. As if he was making a big deal out of nothing. He had thought of bringing Clancy or Elanor into this, yet the same pervasive feeling of his mental state having nothing to do with them stopped him from acting. So, he went back to working the library, filling his catalogue.

He hoped to have felt joy whenever he heard someone enter the library. What he got instead was a creeping feeling of disgust for his work being interrupted. After an internal struggle on whether or not to hide, the Fae made his way to the library entrance, finding Clancy. The Pearlcatcher’s eyes were wide with fear as they barricaded the doorway with a nearby desk and chairs, tentatively moving away once she decided her setup was sturdy enough.

Alerted to Zylen’s presence, she faced him, body tense, “It’s after me again. I think I’ve managed to block…”

He lowered his smaller pair of frills in irritation, “Clancy, did you forget that pest moves through the walls? It’ll just burrow it’s way in here!”

“Not anymore it won’t,” A third voice spoke up, this time belonging to Howl. The Tundra’s voice was tinged with pain, but he was confident in his words, “Landed one attack and it ran off. It won’t be back.”

Hastily removing the blockage and pulling open the doors revealed Howl to be mostly unscathed, save for a couple scratches on one of his wings and across his arms. Injuries shallow thanks to his fur, it also helped soak up what little blood seeped from the wounds. Despite his minor injuries, the Tundra’s breath was slightly labored, something he took note of before questions could be asked. “Apollyon’s right about confronting them. Be careful. I’m going to the infirmary.”

“Mind if I join you?” Zylen broke through his previous disinterest in the event unfolding in front of him. There was relief and discomfort in asking the question, but he wanted out of the library at the moment. “It may help to have someone with you as well.”

“Thank you.” The Tundra started moving, not bothering to check if the Fae was following behind. The trip was brief, with no words exchanged between the two, but something was clearly wrong with the furred dragon by the time they arrived. Movement slowing as time passed, it became more and more apparent that Howl was in increasing amounts of pain.

Helping open the door for the Tundra, Zylen expected the small subset of medical staff to be drawn to the two of them. The team was small but well-versed in simple procedures and tests to give injured or sick dragons. It was enough to keep those admitted in alive long enough to get a doctor with more expertise inside the mansion. Should an intense situation arise however, there was little they could do to stop the worst from happening.

The scene that greeted him instead was unlike anything he had seen up until this point. The staff were running around carrying various supplies from one part of the room to another. Unopened boxes lay out across the floor and on some of the beds, organized based on what was contained within. As the two cautiously entered, the Fae made note of a small pile off in a corner, appearing to be full of material to discard. At the center of it all was an unfamiliar dragon barking out orders, who quickly turned to face them.
68830654_350.png

“You two!” The Spiral called out, “Get this one situated over on Bed Fourteen and clean him up!” She then physically grabbed the one Fae on staff, nearly causing them to drop what they held in their arms, “Grab antibiotics and painkillers stat!” Without batting an eye, she turned to a Coatl that had stopped to look at Zylen and Howl’s entry, “Get back to work! I don’t recall asking you to stop!”

The blur of movement left the Fae dizzy, but he quickly found a seat in a chair near the bed Howl was put into. The attending nurses were already preparing an IV and cleaning his wounds, the Fae from before soon joining them with glass bottles full of the medications he was tasked with obtaining. Zylen didn’t notice the Spiral’s approach as he watched on, startled when he shifted his gaze to find himself face-to-face with her.

“You,” she began, curiosity sparking in her eyes, “Have unnatural coloring on your scales. How did they get bleached like that?”

“Magic fog I guess.” His response lacked any sort of restraint, still feeling imposed on by the yellow dragon in front of him.

“I suppose it’s irreversible at this point, but noted.” She quickly pulled out a small clipboard with an attached pen, quickly writing down notes. “And what did you say your name was?”

“Zylen Myst,” he lowered his fans, “Who are you?”

“Doctor Mariela Thairne,” her response lacked the energy he expected as she remained wrapped up in her work, “Care to tell me what’s going on with your friend?”

“Only if you tell me what you’re doing here.”

“I’ve been hired on by Professor Saile to act as head doctor,” she looked around the room distastefully, “And from the looks of it, you’ve needed someone like me. This place was a disorganized disaster.”

“I thought we only got experienced medical help from external parties,” he commented, lowering his fans further, “You don’t exactly…”

“I did not spend nearly a decade of my life earning a doctorate to be insulted by a Fae who can hardly keep his own library in check!” She snapped. She glared him down, “You dare speak ill of my abilities again and I’ll make sure you never fly again. Understood?”

He was a little more than intimidated to say the least, “U-Understood.”

“Now, tell me what happened to your friend so he can get the aid he needs.”

The Fae wasted no time explaining what had happened, even elaborating on their current pest problem. He pointed out the newly sealed wall to the doctor as well, who was quick to note the former entrance for their uninvited guest. Upon hearing that the doll the creature inhabited held its own strange properties, Mariela grabbed another member of the medical staff, requesting they grab Apollyon for answers. She was met with a shaky reply stating the Spiral had left on Saile’s most recent mission. Frustrated, but accepting of the situation, she asked them to grab Elanor instead, hoping the archivist might have more information.

Zylen didn’t stick around long after that. The growing crowd around him with the bustle of life made it nearly impossible to. The first chance he got he dismissed himself, darting back to the library to be alone once again. He found relief in the silence, taking a few moments to recompose himself before returning to work. All went well until he returned to his office to grab more documents in regards to the strange books he’d been slowly chipping away at.

The rough draft of his letter was gone.

Pinkerton believes in whiplash apparently. Over here still in disbelief over Jaxon's sudden death, only to be given a wonderful new addition to the cast. Breed variety? What's that? I really hope that this isn't the start of me suddenly getting like four new dragons over the span of a week. I'm not sure what I'd do with so many new cast members to develop.

That said, I am adoring writing Mariela so far. Not sure how active of a member she'll be yet, but I do love that I have a doctor in the mansion now. She is notably upset with the rather negligent and compliant staff and will be spending a good deal of her first few days whipping them into shape. I'll be adding her to character roster shortly after this post!

On a final note: I almost didn't post today. I was utter mush after work today with a bit of a pressure headache that wouldn't go away. I struggled immensely with grabbing a dragon for this pull since I couldn't get any good vibes from my choices. I rested a while and got the energy and motivation back though, so here's this!

Yes I don't just pick the very first dragon I see at the lowest price in Gems/Treasure. My picks are still one of the cheapest options, but I like looking at a dragon and getting ideas rather than just grabbing the first thing I see and trying to make it work.
Sorry guys, no post tonight. I am utterly drained and just can't bring myself to write. I need a day (or two) to rest. I do enjoy what's been going on the past couple days, but if I don't have the motivation or inspiration I'm not going to force myself to write.
Sorry guys, no post tonight. I am utterly drained and just can't bring myself to write. I need a day (or two) to rest. I do enjoy what's been going on the past couple days, but if I don't have the motivation or inspiration I'm not going to force myself to write.
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20 21