Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Insight
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21
@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge
Keeping this short tonight. Wednesday I was too mentally drained, yesterday I was feeling physically ill, and tonight I injured my hand. I did want to type tonight, and am even in the mood, but I REALLY need to rest it. Unless typing doesn’t hurt like everything else
@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge
Keeping this short tonight. Wednesday I was too mentally drained, yesterday I was feeling physically ill, and tonight I injured my hand. I did want to type tonight, and am even in the mood, but I REALLY need to rest it. Unless typing doesn’t hurt like everything else
gQ7u2pY.pnglIvZUb1.png47O9KMz.png
Oh no, such an unlucky streak! I hope you'll feel better soon :)
Oh no, such an unlucky streak! I hope you'll feel better soon :)
2WRv2Ib.jpg

@TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge

Hey all! I’m speaking for Henry here, as she’s drained. She wanted me to inform you all that the locke will be on a mini-hiatus because of her work being awful.
@TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge

Hey all! I’m speaking for Henry here, as she’s drained. She wanted me to inform you all that the locke will be on a mini-hiatus because of her work being awful.
083.8.sel.png

Gale, they/them
FR +3

FAQ

Hey guys, as Gale sent out yesterday, I'm going on a sort of half-hiatus. With how work is being this past week and going into this week, I don't want to impose writing on myself with how long and bad the days have been lately. It's been leaving me frazzled and generally worn out as well, so it's been hard to think. I'd like to keep things moving, but until this all lightens up, I won't be able to. Between long days and some personal things I've had to take care of, I also have less time to write.

That said, I may or may not get something out tonight. I've been dealing with a headache most of today and have been out of it mentally, but I really want to continue this. I'm also still in the middle of this mission and would like to try and have it finished tonight if possible. It's one of my days off so I have time to write if I get motivated. You'll know the answer's a yes if you get another ping.

Hey guys, as Gale sent out yesterday, I'm going on a sort of half-hiatus. With how work is being this past week and going into this week, I don't want to impose writing on myself with how long and bad the days have been lately. It's been leaving me frazzled and generally worn out as well, so it's been hard to think. I'd like to keep things moving, but until this all lightens up, I won't be able to. Between long days and some personal things I've had to take care of, I also have less time to write.

That said, I may or may not get something out tonight. I've been dealing with a headache most of today and have been out of it mentally, but I really want to continue this. I'm also still in the middle of this mission and would like to try and have it finished tonight if possible. It's one of my days off so I have time to write if I get motivated. You'll know the answer's a yes if you get another ping.
[center][b]Day 44[/b] [item=Vial of River Muck][/center] The mines had been dug for dragons far larger than Zylen. The entrance the group stood in front of opened before them like a massive maw. The trio’s vision quickly became obstructed by half-open metal doors, their surfaces long since rusted and pocketed with holes. Jeremiah pulled one open to look further in, a harsh metallic shriek making way to a large common area that had once been filled with supplies. It now lay largely empty, save for broken tools as rusted away as the doors keeping them hidden. With dwindling light, the three couldn’t see much more past this point, even with their element’s innate ability to see in low-light conditions. Zylen couldn’t help but want to explore, but knowing the history of the place, he didn’t want to risk disrupting the earth below. Even small dragons such as himself were all it took for one misstep to lead to a disaster. Instead, the three of them stuck to exploring these entryways and the surrounding area. So far, there had been no signs that the areas had been inhabited by dragons, or even predatory wildlife for that matter. When a den of some kind was found, it was long abandoned, preserved by the still air of the space it lay in. In the end, only the doors hinted at visitors, as it took a fair amount of force to open some, and a lot were closed upon the group’s arrival. After the preliminary examination, it was quickly concluded that whatever killed and kidnapped dragons resided outside the ravine. A second conclusion, suggested by Howl, was that it came out at night. Zylen was quick to back this up with knowledge, or rather the lack of, the appearance of this attacker. The ‘best’ information came from survivors, who all had been attacked after sunset, and all descriptions were vague. Large, encased in shadow, and [i]probably[/i] having wings suggested the attacker was a dragon, but there were no details. Whoever, or whatever, they were, they possessed intelligence to know night was the best time to attack, and how to not be seen by their target. With nightfall hours away however, the three of them took to looking for a source to the nightmares Saile had mentioned. A murderous beast was certainly cause for the phenomenon, but unless the leftover trauma from survivors was severe, they shouldn’t continue on with no change in severity, nor in subject matter. Nightmares would focus on that encounter, not on unrelated topics. Unfortunately, with the surrounding environment being of no help, the three looked back at the mines, considering the risks of entering. “I’m against this,” Howl spoke up first, wasting no time getting his opinion across, “Many have died before in this place, and we don’t need to be a part of that statistic.” “But risk-taking dragons come here regularly despite that same risk,” Jeremiah retorted. Despite being the largest of the three of them, and therefore the one most likely to cause a chain event, he held the most confidence. “And I doubt they hold as much caution as we do.” The Fae’s fans lowered in unease as he looked into the empty area around them. Despite his own concerns, he sided with Jeremiah, “Plus, even risky dragons don’t go in too deep. We also know what we’re looking for thanks to Samantha. We shouldn’t have to go far to find what we need.” “Fine.” Howl caved, “But I stay. Shout if you end up in trouble and I’ll do the same.” “I don’t like this as much as you do,” Zylen did his best to comfort the Tundra, “But if there’s any answers not tied behind a murderbeast, it’s in these mines.” He smiled, raising his fans, “We promise we won’t be gone long.” So, Zylen and Jeremiah descended into the tunnels below, guided by lanterns and reflective markers the Banescale had brought along solely for this purpose. The first few mining locations revealed nothing aside from some trash left behind from previous visitors. However, the second half of their journey revealed more interesting and morbid discoveries. A small vein of untouched precious metal led to a dead end as collapsed rubble blocked their way. Underneath the fallen stone lay a mummified arm of a dragon, claws still wrapped around something that was no longer there. Amidst all their findings, nothing stuck out as abnormal. That was, until Howl took note to an entrance the three hadn’t noticed prior. Deliberately hidden behind foliage, the metal doors were in better condition, and shut tight. Holding their breath and bodies tense, Jeremiah slowly shoved the door open, jumping back in anticipation of an attack once it stopped. After over a minute of no sound from the other side, the three crept in, Howl taking point. At a first glance, the room they entered was the same as the rest. Abandoned with broken bits of rusting metal littering the smoothed, dirt-covered floor. It took a moment before Zylen took note of an irregularly-shaped void along one of the walls, different from the carved tunnels they had grown used to seeing. Getting the attention of the other two, Howl quickly put up his guard as Jeremiah joined the Fae in examining the discovery. Shining the light of the lantern on the blackened area, the two were shocked to find it had similar properties to the rock Samantha had described. At first all they noticed was the reflection of light off of the black stone, but as Zylen adjusted the lantern’s position, both began to see shifting colors within, almost like that seen in oil, but fainter. As if on queue, Howl let out a roar, pouncing at something unseen by the other two. The scuffle led down one of the tunnels briefly before the Tundra retreated, joining the other two at the entrance. They searched frantically for whatever had attempted to attack, finding nothing until a pair of eyes gleamed from within a tunnel entrance, illuminated by the light of their lantern. There was silence for a few moments before a dry chuckle rang out, followed by a low growl. Instead of another attack, a voice, rough and low, called from the darkness, “So, you finally came.” “Don’t you dare start with the vague introductions,” Jeremiah spat back, “Every one of you...[i]freaks[/i] seem to know exactly who we are and we’re sick of it.” He took a step forward and spread out his wings, blocking the other two. Despite the fire in his eyes and the baring of fangs, Zylen could tell that the Banescale was intimidated, but was not going to back down. Hopefully his display was enough for what he was after, “So, if you’re just going to toy with us like the others, I’m having none of it. We’ll beat you to a pulp if that’s what it takes to get answers.” Another chuckle and the sound of movement, but whatever lurked in the dark didn’t draw any closer, “Well, well, well. Feisty aren’t we?” More shuffling, then a bout of silence before the voice spoke up again, “But fine. I’ll tell you what [i]I[/i] feel like. Nothing more. You talk big, but, as the others likely say, you have no idea what you’re up against. Besides…” “Get on with it,” Jeremiah growled, not backing down, “I’m not here for whatever intimidating nonsense you’re going to spit at us.” Zylen watched as the figure stood up again, getting close enough to where he could make out a vague silhouette. It paced back and forth in confident, quiet strides as it looked over the three of them, “I planted that stone, and others to draw Saile’s assistants in. This land is good for that after all. Tainted with the blood of dragons lost in mines, and now tainted in the blood of the prey that I, and others before me, hunt.” It paused, the figure appearing to think over something, “I suppose you look far enough along for me to tell you this. Can’t lie that part of me telling you this is partially because I like that one’s bravado.” Another chuckle, “Though listen closely, because I [i]won’t[/i] repeat myself.” As Zylen waited for the silhouette to speak up again, his vision shifted. The uninvited behavior caught him looking into the archives again, and while he could feel his head moving in an attempt to look around, the scene did not shift with the motion. Slowly the scene moved left and right, allowing him to get a better view. He was at a desk, and across from him was...Eowyn? Before he could grasp what was unfolding, he was back in the abandoned room, the silhouette now seated on the floor, eyes moving to and from the lantern and those facing them. “I am not the first, nor will I be the last to call this place home. When individuals such as myself become the prey and begin to starve, we wander to a place such as this. I [i]could[/i] kill all of my quarry, but leaving survivors and only attacking at night invites more prey. If the cycle is to continue, I, and others that follow me, must keep the land as such. We fail to do so and we lose a haven.” As if reading the Fae’s thoughts, the figure shot a glare that carved directly into his body, “If you, or [i]any[/i] of your coworkers try [i]anything[/i] to take that from us, you [i]will[/i] be hunted down and killed. Understood?" Their eyes narrowed, "Now, leave.” Practically dragging Jeremiah out of the room with the figure, the three swiftly left the ravine. They had the information they needed, and, not wanting to push their luck, they began their journey back to the mansion. Zylen still had to compile a report after all, and if they got back fast enough, it could be done that night. He still had his own questions around the figure and the area they had called home, but he didn’t want to press. He felt like the three of them getting out alive was enough fortune for one day. Besides, there was something new eating at him. And he was already planning on talking to Elanor about it. ---------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge aaaaaaaaaa I'm so happy to have time and energy for writing today. Work was slow but pretty great all things considered. I was just not feeling all that well for most of it and that bled into post-work things. Luckily I was feeling better by the time I finally sat down to get on my laptop! Sadly no real commentary tonight. I'm more looking forward to the day off Zylen has after this. Gotta follow up on Apollyon's thing as well as have a meeting with Elanor. [s]I also have been trying to type ominous things regarding the figure they were talking to and failing for ten minutes so nope. They'll show up again sometime, but it'll be a bit.[/s] As a final note, I've had nothing but material pulls since Thursday. Pink I know I wasn't feeling well and therefore not typing, but you could have mixed it up some.
Day 44
Vial of River Muck

The mines had been dug for dragons far larger than Zylen.

The entrance the group stood in front of opened before them like a massive maw. The trio’s vision quickly became obstructed by half-open metal doors, their surfaces long since rusted and pocketed with holes. Jeremiah pulled one open to look further in, a harsh metallic shriek making way to a large common area that had once been filled with supplies. It now lay largely empty, save for broken tools as rusted away as the doors keeping them hidden. With dwindling light, the three couldn’t see much more past this point, even with their element’s innate ability to see in low-light conditions.

Zylen couldn’t help but want to explore, but knowing the history of the place, he didn’t want to risk disrupting the earth below. Even small dragons such as himself were all it took for one misstep to lead to a disaster. Instead, the three of them stuck to exploring these entryways and the surrounding area. So far, there had been no signs that the areas had been inhabited by dragons, or even predatory wildlife for that matter. When a den of some kind was found, it was long abandoned, preserved by the still air of the space it lay in. In the end, only the doors hinted at visitors, as it took a fair amount of force to open some, and a lot were closed upon the group’s arrival.

After the preliminary examination, it was quickly concluded that whatever killed and kidnapped dragons resided outside the ravine. A second conclusion, suggested by Howl, was that it came out at night. Zylen was quick to back this up with knowledge, or rather the lack of, the appearance of this attacker. The ‘best’ information came from survivors, who all had been attacked after sunset, and all descriptions were vague. Large, encased in shadow, and probably having wings suggested the attacker was a dragon, but there were no details. Whoever, or whatever, they were, they possessed intelligence to know night was the best time to attack, and how to not be seen by their target.

With nightfall hours away however, the three of them took to looking for a source to the nightmares Saile had mentioned. A murderous beast was certainly cause for the phenomenon, but unless the leftover trauma from survivors was severe, they shouldn’t continue on with no change in severity, nor in subject matter. Nightmares would focus on that encounter, not on unrelated topics. Unfortunately, with the surrounding environment being of no help, the three looked back at the mines, considering the risks of entering.

“I’m against this,” Howl spoke up first, wasting no time getting his opinion across, “Many have died before in this place, and we don’t need to be a part of that statistic.”

“But risk-taking dragons come here regularly despite that same risk,” Jeremiah retorted. Despite being the largest of the three of them, and therefore the one most likely to cause a chain event, he held the most confidence. “And I doubt they hold as much caution as we do.”

The Fae’s fans lowered in unease as he looked into the empty area around them. Despite his own concerns, he sided with Jeremiah, “Plus, even risky dragons don’t go in too deep. We also know what we’re looking for thanks to Samantha. We shouldn’t have to go far to find what we need.”

“Fine.” Howl caved, “But I stay. Shout if you end up in trouble and I’ll do the same.”

“I don’t like this as much as you do,” Zylen did his best to comfort the Tundra, “But if there’s any answers not tied behind a murderbeast, it’s in these mines.” He smiled, raising his fans, “We promise we won’t be gone long.”

So, Zylen and Jeremiah descended into the tunnels below, guided by lanterns and reflective markers the Banescale had brought along solely for this purpose. The first few mining locations revealed nothing aside from some trash left behind from previous visitors. However, the second half of their journey revealed more interesting and morbid discoveries. A small vein of untouched precious metal led to a dead end as collapsed rubble blocked their way. Underneath the fallen stone lay a mummified arm of a dragon, claws still wrapped around something that was no longer there.

Amidst all their findings, nothing stuck out as abnormal. That was, until Howl took note to an entrance the three hadn’t noticed prior. Deliberately hidden behind foliage, the metal doors were in better condition, and shut tight. Holding their breath and bodies tense, Jeremiah slowly shoved the door open, jumping back in anticipation of an attack once it stopped. After over a minute of no sound from the other side, the three crept in, Howl taking point.

At a first glance, the room they entered was the same as the rest. Abandoned with broken bits of rusting metal littering the smoothed, dirt-covered floor. It took a moment before Zylen took note of an irregularly-shaped void along one of the walls, different from the carved tunnels they had grown used to seeing. Getting the attention of the other two, Howl quickly put up his guard as Jeremiah joined the Fae in examining the discovery.

Shining the light of the lantern on the blackened area, the two were shocked to find it had similar properties to the rock Samantha had described. At first all they noticed was the reflection of light off of the black stone, but as Zylen adjusted the lantern’s position, both began to see shifting colors within, almost like that seen in oil, but fainter.

As if on queue, Howl let out a roar, pouncing at something unseen by the other two. The scuffle led down one of the tunnels briefly before the Tundra retreated, joining the other two at the entrance. They searched frantically for whatever had attempted to attack, finding nothing until a pair of eyes gleamed from within a tunnel entrance, illuminated by the light of their lantern. There was silence for a few moments before a dry chuckle rang out, followed by a low growl.

Instead of another attack, a voice, rough and low, called from the darkness, “So, you finally came.”

“Don’t you dare start with the vague introductions,” Jeremiah spat back, “Every one of you...freaks seem to know exactly who we are and we’re sick of it.” He took a step forward and spread out his wings, blocking the other two. Despite the fire in his eyes and the baring of fangs, Zylen could tell that the Banescale was intimidated, but was not going to back down. Hopefully his display was enough for what he was after, “So, if you’re just going to toy with us like the others, I’m having none of it. We’ll beat you to a pulp if that’s what it takes to get answers.”

Another chuckle and the sound of movement, but whatever lurked in the dark didn’t draw any closer, “Well, well, well. Feisty aren’t we?” More shuffling, then a bout of silence before the voice spoke up again, “But fine. I’ll tell you what I feel like. Nothing more. You talk big, but, as the others likely say, you have no idea what you’re up against. Besides…”

“Get on with it,” Jeremiah growled, not backing down, “I’m not here for whatever intimidating nonsense you’re going to spit at us.”

Zylen watched as the figure stood up again, getting close enough to where he could make out a vague silhouette. It paced back and forth in confident, quiet strides as it looked over the three of them, “I planted that stone, and others to draw Saile’s assistants in. This land is good for that after all. Tainted with the blood of dragons lost in mines, and now tainted in the blood of the prey that I, and others before me, hunt.” It paused, the figure appearing to think over something, “I suppose you look far enough along for me to tell you this. Can’t lie that part of me telling you this is partially because I like that one’s bravado.” Another chuckle, “Though listen closely, because I won’t repeat myself.”

As Zylen waited for the silhouette to speak up again, his vision shifted. The uninvited behavior caught him looking into the archives again, and while he could feel his head moving in an attempt to look around, the scene did not shift with the motion. Slowly the scene moved left and right, allowing him to get a better view. He was at a desk, and across from him was...Eowyn? Before he could grasp what was unfolding, he was back in the abandoned room, the silhouette now seated on the floor, eyes moving to and from the lantern and those facing them.

“I am not the first, nor will I be the last to call this place home. When individuals such as myself become the prey and begin to starve, we wander to a place such as this. I could kill all of my quarry, but leaving survivors and only attacking at night invites more prey. If the cycle is to continue, I, and others that follow me, must keep the land as such. We fail to do so and we lose a haven.” As if reading the Fae’s thoughts, the figure shot a glare that carved directly into his body, “If you, or any of your coworkers try anything to take that from us, you will be hunted down and killed. Understood?" Their eyes narrowed, "Now, leave.”

Practically dragging Jeremiah out of the room with the figure, the three swiftly left the ravine. They had the information they needed, and, not wanting to push their luck, they began their journey back to the mansion. Zylen still had to compile a report after all, and if they got back fast enough, it could be done that night. He still had his own questions around the figure and the area they had called home, but he didn’t want to press. He felt like the three of them getting out alive was enough fortune for one day.

Besides, there was something new eating at him. And he was already planning on talking to Elanor about it.

aaaaaaaaaa I'm so happy to have time and energy for writing today. Work was slow but pretty great all things considered. I was just not feeling all that well for most of it and that bled into post-work things. Luckily I was feeling better by the time I finally sat down to get on my laptop!

Sadly no real commentary tonight. I'm more looking forward to the day off Zylen has after this. Gotta follow up on Apollyon's thing as well as have a meeting with Elanor. I also have been trying to type ominous things regarding the figure they were talking to and failing for ten minutes so nope. They'll show up again sometime, but it'll be a bit.

As a final note, I've had nothing but material pulls since Thursday. Pink I know I wasn't feeling well and therefore not typing, but you could have mixed it up some.
[center][b]Day 45[/b] [item=Cheerful Chime] [b]Warnings: Mild gore and mutilation, isolation, loneliness, feeling powerless[/b][/center] The sounds of distant screaming woke Zylen from a dead sleep. Outside, the sky was dull grey with the sun’s first rays, color not even filling the horizon. Without a second thought, he bolted out his room and towards the source of the screaming, believing a resident of the mansion to be in danger. After his meeting with yet another strange figure, knowledge that staff had been chased, the graveyard intruder, and others such as Rachael clearly being some sort of threat, the possibility was very real that someone may have finally become a victim of an attack. This was only further emphasized after he turned a corner on the floor before his. The hallway was a disorganized mess of scattered books, shattered ceramics, two knocked over bookshelves, and even pieces of the walls had been torn out and cast aside. The screams were clearer now, though the frantic calls were incomprehensible at the speed and pitch of them. As Zylen cautiously drew nearer, he began to see streaks of drying blood, and on closer inspection, oil. Knowing he was dealing with Clancy, the Fae wasted no time closing the gap, aiming to stop whatever was happening so he could calm the Pearlcatcher. She had been through enough and didn’t need to suffer any further. Instead of finding the historian pinned to a wall or otherwise under attack, he instead found her at the end of what was once a hidden passageway. All traces of what kept it hidden had been ripped apart and cast aside by the Pearlcatcher, who was clawing at a locked metal door. Covered in both new and old scratches, it’s relatively polished surface was now smeared with blood and oil from the Clancy’s desperate attempts to enter. She paused briefly to catch her breath, continuing once more with a shout of, “Let. Me. [i]IN[/i],” followed by further screeching. Zylen watched in horror as the scene unfolded in front of him, finally stopping to intervene when the Pearlcatcher paused once more. Floating to block her from the door, he saw pure violent intent in her eyes before backing away from the door. She was quick to grimace in pain as she looked down at her bloodied claws, talons forcefully torn away and the flesh beneath peeling. She backed away from the Fae as she began to shake in fear, running off without another word, leaving a trail of dirtied blood. Beyond worried now, Zylen attempted to pursue his coworker, only to be stopped by a member of staff. A piece of paper and a key were hastily handed over to him, “Take this and unlock the door. We’ll take care of Clancy.” No time to process whatever was unfolding, Zylen did what he was told, rushing back to the door. He inserted the key, but instead of unlocking the vault door, a runic keypad opened up. Following the instructions on the paper given to him, he then revealed two more numeric locks, and after a second keyhole appeared, the vault door was finally loose. Using magic to move the handles on the latch, he was finally able to open the door, just as three more members of staff returned with Clancy. The space within was large and fully furnished, already lit. As Zylen attempted to take in the room, the Pearlcatcher shoved him aside, quickly moving in and out of side areas that were also incorporated into the hidden room. After staining the pale grey carpet with blood, Clancy collapsed on a couch facing away from the group, with no activity following. Still taking in the space, Zylen was ushered out, leaving him confused and tired. Hectic early morning aside, the Fae forewent returning to bed in exchange for personal work until he could get in a meeting with Elanor. It had been a bit since he had continued his catalogue, and not wanting to appear slacking, that took priority. He was happy to find that he’d somehow nearly reached the halfway mark of the first of three floors, the sense of achievement plenty motive to work even more on his task. But his progress was short-lived as Apollyon slithered into the library. The Spiral’s expression was as unreadable as always, but it was obvious that he was searching for something, paying no attention to the Fae above him. At first Zylen disregarded the thin dragon, thinking that he was after a specific book, but once he began to mess with the shelves, he intervened. Fans half-spread in irritation, he wasted no time confronting Apollyon, “What do you think you’re doing? It takes a lot longer than you think to organize all of those you know.” Apollyon was taken aback by the intrusion, “Looking for doll. Found once. Returned doll. Doll go missing again. Library hiding it last time. So, I look here again. No luck so far.” Zylen felt uneasy hearing about this strange doll going missing a second time, “I take it my advice didn’t help then?” “Oh yes!” The sudden burst of energy lit up the Spiral’s face briefly before returning it to its resting neutrality, “Doll in dark corner. Not this time. Leaves me worried.” “How so?” “Been hearing scratching. But not on walls. [i]In[/i] walls. Think it’s pest. So, I break wall. No pest. Scratching continues. I try again. See glimpse of pest.” “Okay, aaaaand?” Zylen was concerned about the Spiral’s behavior on top of this supposed pest, but he needed to hear more first. “Pest splotched brown and green. I think bug because shine. But shine not everywhere.” Apollyon stared down Zylen, the Spiral’s eyes boring into his own, “You understand worry, yes?” Zylen slowly nodded, feigning agreement, “Yes, I understand. I’ll keep and eye and ear open for any signs of the ‘pest’ for you.” He wasn’t in the mood to deal with the ominous dragon at the moment, so hopefully an agreement would end their interactions early. “Thank you. Can I keep looking?” The Spiral gestured to the library around them. “Yes, but don’t tear anything up. If you come across the scratching, let me know. Maybe I can help you.” Without another word, the Spiral nodded, turned around, and immediately made his way to the floor above them. Alone once more, Zylen returned to his spot in the geography section of the library, sighing as he continued his work. -------- “Zylen!” Elanor cheerfully called as the Fae entered her office, “I’ve been waiting for you. I had tea prepared, but I’m afraid it might not be too warm.” “Sorry, you can blame Apollyon on my lateness. Thought he found this ‘pest’ again, but I heard nothing when I went to the location he had pointed out.” Casting the event aside, he raised his fans in joy, “That said, how has your day been?” “Busy and full of dead ends as always,” she chuckled, “Jeremiah looked into more involving the Den of Disasters but got nowhere fast.” She paused to take a sip of her tea. Based on the amount of liquid remaining in the teapot, Zylen guessed it was her third or fourth cup. It was nice to see such a calm expression when she finished, “Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to find more information on staff during Darryn’s time here. As expected, there’s very little due to the previous archivist hiding information. But,” she paused for dramatic effect. Zylen took the bait laid in front of him, “But what? What did you find this time?” Elanor’s eyes lit up, enjoying his response, “I may have another lead! I hope you don’t mind me not sharing right now. Don’t want to get your hopes up only to find another dead end.” He smiled, “Hey, if it keeps you busy and excited, take all the time you need to confirm theories. Not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon.” The Tundra’s expression sharply shifted into one of earnest focus, “That’s not what we’re here for though, is it?” The sudden intimidation from Elanor was the last thing Zylen expected, “N-No of course not,” he stammered, “I wanted to ease into this.” He swallowed and took a deep breath, steadying himself, “I didn’t want to lead a conversation with what happened to me yesterday you know?” “That,” she rested her arms on the table, laying her claws to draw attention to the ring adorning one of them, “is precisely what I want to discuss.” Her gaze, once friendly and shifting, now stared back cold and practically unreadable past the focus put into maintaining it. “Surely I don’t need to say much if you know yourself?” His thoughts scattered, Zylen attempted to put the pieces back in place. The rings. She wanted him to talk about the rings. But what assumptions had she made? Not wanting to waste more time, he blurted out, “They’re enchanted. You figured that out and had Eowyn help decipher the enchantment.” A much more sinister grin crossed Elanor’s face, “Correct. You saw the little trick yourself, so I’m not surprised. Care to guess what about them puzzled our resident Coatl?” “I-I’d rather not,” the Tundra was beginning to feel like a genuine threat to the Fae. With how she normally behaved, he had assumed very little of her. She was approachable and friendly, but if [i]this[/i] was something she could hide, what else did she have up her sleeves? He didn’t want to know, only wanting for this pressing to end. “Very well.” She let out a sigh, taking another sip of her tea. Her expression lightened, but the knowing eyes that looked back were well aware of the information Zylen now held. She frowned, “I was having fun too.” “That was [i]fun[/i] to you?” Zylen’s frills lowered in disbelief, “You had me [i]terrified[/i]. What was that even about anyways? Can’t we have a civil conversation about something serious?” He’d hoped to see sympathy or reasoning or something in the Tundra’s eyes, instead only reading the same calm he was used to. She smiled, her grin far more sly than pleasant, “I’d be lying if I said no. You’re not the only one who can hide your emotions and intentions. And you’re far from the only one hiding secrets from others.” Her grin widened, “Only I keep mine close.” Zylen had to force himself to not make an awkward exit from the room. Fans still lowered, he asked one more question, “I...[i]we[/i] can still trust you, right?” “Of course. I’m not one to betray my allies. Such behavior gets you killed.” There was more sympathy in the Tundra’s expression, but the Fae wasn’t sure if he could believe it anymore. Not that he had a choice. Their work was intrinsically tied to each other, so he would have to continue working with the Tundra going forth. Her expression softened again as she answered the question she had prompted, “About the rings. Eowyn was able to determine what triggers them, but despite their elemental colors, she couldn’t pinpoint an element infused into them.” She smiled, an action that should have relaxed Zylen, but practically did the opposite, “If you ever want to trade eyesight, all you have to do is about what I’m up to before focusing magic into the ring. Simple right?” “Right,” Zylen cocked his head, fans splayed in confusion, “There’s nothing else to these?” “Not that Eowyn can see,” Elanor shrugged, “I wouldn’t expect too much else if I’m honest. Was that all you were here for?” “Yeah. I made the connection but I wasn’t sure if you had. Glad to have confirmation.” With a third unexpected encounter finished, Zylen hastily dismissed himself, leaving the office. After the emotional whiplash, he needed some fresh air. He didn’t take Jeremiah’s absence as abnormal as the Banescale commonly moved back and forth between the archives and library for his research. The silence wasn’t abnormal either. The mansion was so massive that you were more likely to encounter long bouts of no sound than another dragon. Hell, not seeing any members of staff didn’t tip off that something was wrong to the Fae. It was when he looked outside a window that he knew something was horribly wrong. There was fog. Thick and consuming any trace of the outside world, the Fae was frozen at the sight. He knew well enough that it was a partly cloudy day earlier, with nothing to suggest such weather. It had to be unnatural. And with his past experiences with fog and smoke, a sinking feeling entered his gut. A somber trek through the mansion revealed not a single soul roamed its corridors, and as the small dragon dared to move outside, he heard no animals either. Only the gentle rustling of leaves. Unsure what to do, Zylen wandered into the mist before him. It beckoned him forth yet choked him as the dense swirling clouds surrounded him. The Fae had no plan of his own to escape this time, so following wherever the pull was taking him was better than nothing. The further he went, the darker the fog appeared to become, until he heard the sound of something splashing. Stopping abruptly, he listened closely, and after another distant splash, he pursued the source, thinking he found signs of another. He emerged in the center of a large lake. The space was free of fog, walls of the smoky substance rolling down into the water below. The moon shined brilliantly above him, reflecting off the surface. Zylen didn’t recall night falling, nor did he remember a lake in the mansion’s property, confusing him further. Yet, among his confusion and fear, he felt almost comfortable in the serenity of the scene. “You,” a voice, deep and distant echoed from within the fog, “Are nobody.” Zylen attempted to confront the voice, only for his own to be drowned out, “You,” it called again, rumbling, “Will never be anyone.” The Fae frantically searched for the source, vision obscured by the fog around him. The voice came again, “You,” the voice was loud enough to ripple the water beneath the Fae. There was silence before it called again, far quieter, “Wish to be alone.” Half-expecting to be interrupted again if he spoke up, Zylen waited for the voice to call once more. As a minute turned into two and then three, he finally retorted, “That the best you got?” He spread his fans, confident, “I can already tell you who I am, and whatever trick this is, you know I have friends and coworkers I enjoy being around. Separating me from them does [i]nothing[/i], you hear?!” His shout went unanswered, but only briefly. “LIES!” the voice was practically a roar, quaking through the entirety of his body as the lake’s surface broke. “You [i]steal[/i] your name,” it retorted, ignoring the Fae’s shouts back, “You [i]loathe[/i] your position. And,” again, the voice quieted, “You do not [i]belong[/i].” Something massive began to approach Zylen, former confidence drained from his being. He wanted to retort the blunt statements and their assumptions, but he simply couldn’t muster the courage again. Besides, the voice wasn’t [i]wrong[/i]. Zylen’s name wasn’t his own. Zylen’s position as librarian was far from ideal. And lately, he was beginning to feel more and more like he was burdening the others around him. It was far from accumulating into nothing, but it put into perspective just how much had changed since his arrival. Too scared to act, he waited for the source of the voice to finish approaching, thoughts abuzz with what had been spoken to him. He never saw them. Only the swirling of the fog as it became disturbed by the presence of a behemoth, and the eerie purple glow of eyes from within. They lay there, unmoving as they pierced into the Fae’s own. The two stared in silence before the voice again, far quieter, yet as distant as before, “You have a choice. Stay. Or leave.” Zylen opened his mouth to inquire about his options, only to be drowned out once again, “To us, your choice does not matter. We do not care either way.” Turning away from his calls and eventual desperate cries, the presence soon disappeared out of sight, and once again he found himself alone. The moon still shone brightly above him, the water still and calm beneath, and the fog gently rolling around him. He had been given a choice, unaware of the consequences of either option. Both could lead to his demise or both could mean nothing and he didn’t know. What did he want? He stared up at the moon, looking at the stars that glowed dimly around it. What did [i]he[/i] want? He looked down in the water, staring back at his own reflection. What did… He made his choice. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge [emoji=tundra winking size=2] [s]No commentary for suspense aside. [i]How[/i] did the dice do this to me. [b][i]How[/i][/b][/s]
Day 45
Cheerful Chime
Warnings: Mild gore and mutilation, isolation, loneliness, feeling powerless

The sounds of distant screaming woke Zylen from a dead sleep. Outside, the sky was dull grey with the sun’s first rays, color not even filling the horizon. Without a second thought, he bolted out his room and towards the source of the screaming, believing a resident of the mansion to be in danger. After his meeting with yet another strange figure, knowledge that staff had been chased, the graveyard intruder, and others such as Rachael clearly being some sort of threat, the possibility was very real that someone may have finally become a victim of an attack.

This was only further emphasized after he turned a corner on the floor before his. The hallway was a disorganized mess of scattered books, shattered ceramics, two knocked over bookshelves, and even pieces of the walls had been torn out and cast aside. The screams were clearer now, though the frantic calls were incomprehensible at the speed and pitch of them. As Zylen cautiously drew nearer, he began to see streaks of drying blood, and on closer inspection, oil. Knowing he was dealing with Clancy, the Fae wasted no time closing the gap, aiming to stop whatever was happening so he could calm the Pearlcatcher. She had been through enough and didn’t need to suffer any further.

Instead of finding the historian pinned to a wall or otherwise under attack, he instead found her at the end of what was once a hidden passageway. All traces of what kept it hidden had been ripped apart and cast aside by the Pearlcatcher, who was clawing at a locked metal door. Covered in both new and old scratches, it’s relatively polished surface was now smeared with blood and oil from the Clancy’s desperate attempts to enter. She paused briefly to catch her breath, continuing once more with a shout of, “Let. Me. IN,” followed by further screeching.

Zylen watched in horror as the scene unfolded in front of him, finally stopping to intervene when the Pearlcatcher paused once more. Floating to block her from the door, he saw pure violent intent in her eyes before backing away from the door. She was quick to grimace in pain as she looked down at her bloodied claws, talons forcefully torn away and the flesh beneath peeling. She backed away from the Fae as she began to shake in fear, running off without another word, leaving a trail of dirtied blood. Beyond worried now, Zylen attempted to pursue his coworker, only to be stopped by a member of staff.

A piece of paper and a key were hastily handed over to him, “Take this and unlock the door. We’ll take care of Clancy.”

No time to process whatever was unfolding, Zylen did what he was told, rushing back to the door. He inserted the key, but instead of unlocking the vault door, a runic keypad opened up. Following the instructions on the paper given to him, he then revealed two more numeric locks, and after a second keyhole appeared, the vault door was finally loose. Using magic to move the handles on the latch, he was finally able to open the door, just as three more members of staff returned with Clancy.

The space within was large and fully furnished, already lit. As Zylen attempted to take in the room, the Pearlcatcher shoved him aside, quickly moving in and out of side areas that were also incorporated into the hidden room. After staining the pale grey carpet with blood, Clancy collapsed on a couch facing away from the group, with no activity following. Still taking in the space, Zylen was ushered out, leaving him confused and tired.

Hectic early morning aside, the Fae forewent returning to bed in exchange for personal work until he could get in a meeting with Elanor. It had been a bit since he had continued his catalogue, and not wanting to appear slacking, that took priority. He was happy to find that he’d somehow nearly reached the halfway mark of the first of three floors, the sense of achievement plenty motive to work even more on his task.

But his progress was short-lived as Apollyon slithered into the library. The Spiral’s expression was as unreadable as always, but it was obvious that he was searching for something, paying no attention to the Fae above him. At first Zylen disregarded the thin dragon, thinking that he was after a specific book, but once he began to mess with the shelves, he intervened. Fans half-spread in irritation, he wasted no time confronting Apollyon, “What do you think you’re doing? It takes a lot longer than you think to organize all of those you know.”

Apollyon was taken aback by the intrusion, “Looking for doll. Found once. Returned doll. Doll go missing again. Library hiding it last time. So, I look here again. No luck so far.”

Zylen felt uneasy hearing about this strange doll going missing a second time, “I take it my advice didn’t help then?”

“Oh yes!” The sudden burst of energy lit up the Spiral’s face briefly before returning it to its resting neutrality, “Doll in dark corner. Not this time. Leaves me worried.”

“How so?”

“Been hearing scratching. But not on walls. In walls. Think it’s pest. So, I break wall. No pest. Scratching continues. I try again. See glimpse of pest.”

“Okay, aaaaand?” Zylen was concerned about the Spiral’s behavior on top of this supposed pest, but he needed to hear more first.

“Pest splotched brown and green. I think bug because shine. But shine not everywhere.” Apollyon stared down Zylen, the Spiral’s eyes boring into his own, “You understand worry, yes?”

Zylen slowly nodded, feigning agreement, “Yes, I understand. I’ll keep and eye and ear open for any signs of the ‘pest’ for you.” He wasn’t in the mood to deal with the ominous dragon at the moment, so hopefully an agreement would end their interactions early.

“Thank you. Can I keep looking?” The Spiral gestured to the library around them.

“Yes, but don’t tear anything up. If you come across the scratching, let me know. Maybe I can help you.”

Without another word, the Spiral nodded, turned around, and immediately made his way to the floor above them. Alone once more, Zylen returned to his spot in the geography section of the library, sighing as he continued his work.

“Zylen!” Elanor cheerfully called as the Fae entered her office, “I’ve been waiting for you. I had tea prepared, but I’m afraid it might not be too warm.”

“Sorry, you can blame Apollyon on my lateness. Thought he found this ‘pest’ again, but I heard nothing when I went to the location he had pointed out.” Casting the event aside, he raised his fans in joy, “That said, how has your day been?”

“Busy and full of dead ends as always,” she chuckled, “Jeremiah looked into more involving the Den of Disasters but got nowhere fast.” She paused to take a sip of her tea. Based on the amount of liquid remaining in the teapot, Zylen guessed it was her third or fourth cup. It was nice to see such a calm expression when she finished, “Meanwhile, I’ve been trying to find more information on staff during Darryn’s time here. As expected, there’s very little due to the previous archivist hiding information. But,” she paused for dramatic effect.

Zylen took the bait laid in front of him, “But what? What did you find this time?”

Elanor’s eyes lit up, enjoying his response, “I may have another lead! I hope you don’t mind me not sharing right now. Don’t want to get your hopes up only to find another dead end.”

He smiled, “Hey, if it keeps you busy and excited, take all the time you need to confirm theories. Not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon.”

The Tundra’s expression sharply shifted into one of earnest focus, “That’s not what we’re here for though, is it?”

The sudden intimidation from Elanor was the last thing Zylen expected, “N-No of course not,” he stammered, “I wanted to ease into this.” He swallowed and took a deep breath, steadying himself, “I didn’t want to lead a conversation with what happened to me yesterday you know?”

“That,” she rested her arms on the table, laying her claws to draw attention to the ring adorning one of them, “is precisely what I want to discuss.” Her gaze, once friendly and shifting, now stared back cold and practically unreadable past the focus put into maintaining it. “Surely I don’t need to say much if you know yourself?”

His thoughts scattered, Zylen attempted to put the pieces back in place. The rings. She wanted him to talk about the rings. But what assumptions had she made? Not wanting to waste more time, he blurted out, “They’re enchanted. You figured that out and had Eowyn help decipher the enchantment.”

A much more sinister grin crossed Elanor’s face, “Correct. You saw the little trick yourself, so I’m not surprised. Care to guess what about them puzzled our resident Coatl?”

“I-I’d rather not,” the Tundra was beginning to feel like a genuine threat to the Fae. With how she normally behaved, he had assumed very little of her. She was approachable and friendly, but if this was something she could hide, what else did she have up her sleeves? He didn’t want to know, only wanting for this pressing to end.

“Very well.” She let out a sigh, taking another sip of her tea. Her expression lightened, but the knowing eyes that looked back were well aware of the information Zylen now held. She frowned, “I was having fun too.”

“That was fun to you?” Zylen’s frills lowered in disbelief, “You had me terrified. What was that even about anyways? Can’t we have a civil conversation about something serious?”

He’d hoped to see sympathy or reasoning or something in the Tundra’s eyes, instead only reading the same calm he was used to. She smiled, her grin far more sly than pleasant, “I’d be lying if I said no. You’re not the only one who can hide your emotions and intentions. And you’re far from the only one hiding secrets from others.” Her grin widened, “Only I keep mine close.”

Zylen had to force himself to not make an awkward exit from the room. Fans still lowered, he asked one more question, “I...we can still trust you, right?”

“Of course. I’m not one to betray my allies. Such behavior gets you killed.” There was more sympathy in the Tundra’s expression, but the Fae wasn’t sure if he could believe it anymore. Not that he had a choice. Their work was intrinsically tied to each other, so he would have to continue working with the Tundra going forth.

Her expression softened again as she answered the question she had prompted, “About the rings. Eowyn was able to determine what triggers them, but despite their elemental colors, she couldn’t pinpoint an element infused into them.” She smiled, an action that should have relaxed Zylen, but practically did the opposite, “If you ever want to trade eyesight, all you have to do is about what I’m up to before focusing magic into the ring. Simple right?”

“Right,” Zylen cocked his head, fans splayed in confusion, “There’s nothing else to these?”

“Not that Eowyn can see,” Elanor shrugged, “I wouldn’t expect too much else if I’m honest. Was that all you were here for?”

“Yeah. I made the connection but I wasn’t sure if you had. Glad to have confirmation.”

With a third unexpected encounter finished, Zylen hastily dismissed himself, leaving the office. After the emotional whiplash, he needed some fresh air. He didn’t take Jeremiah’s absence as abnormal as the Banescale commonly moved back and forth between the archives and library for his research. The silence wasn’t abnormal either. The mansion was so massive that you were more likely to encounter long bouts of no sound than another dragon. Hell, not seeing any members of staff didn’t tip off that something was wrong to the Fae. It was when he looked outside a window that he knew something was horribly wrong.

There was fog. Thick and consuming any trace of the outside world, the Fae was frozen at the sight. He knew well enough that it was a partly cloudy day earlier, with nothing to suggest such weather. It had to be unnatural. And with his past experiences with fog and smoke, a sinking feeling entered his gut. A somber trek through the mansion revealed not a single soul roamed its corridors, and as the small dragon dared to move outside, he heard no animals either. Only the gentle rustling of leaves.

Unsure what to do, Zylen wandered into the mist before him. It beckoned him forth yet choked him as the dense swirling clouds surrounded him. The Fae had no plan of his own to escape this time, so following wherever the pull was taking him was better than nothing. The further he went, the darker the fog appeared to become, until he heard the sound of something splashing. Stopping abruptly, he listened closely, and after another distant splash, he pursued the source, thinking he found signs of another.

He emerged in the center of a large lake. The space was free of fog, walls of the smoky substance rolling down into the water below. The moon shined brilliantly above him, reflecting off the surface. Zylen didn’t recall night falling, nor did he remember a lake in the mansion’s property, confusing him further. Yet, among his confusion and fear, he felt almost comfortable in the serenity of the scene.

“You,” a voice, deep and distant echoed from within the fog, “Are nobody.”

Zylen attempted to confront the voice, only for his own to be drowned out, “You,” it called again, rumbling, “Will never be anyone.”

The Fae frantically searched for the source, vision obscured by the fog around him. The voice came again, “You,” the voice was loud enough to ripple the water beneath the Fae. There was silence before it called again, far quieter, “Wish to be alone.”

Half-expecting to be interrupted again if he spoke up, Zylen waited for the voice to call once more. As a minute turned into two and then three, he finally retorted, “That the best you got?” He spread his fans, confident, “I can already tell you who I am, and whatever trick this is, you know I have friends and coworkers I enjoy being around. Separating me from them does nothing, you hear?!”

His shout went unanswered, but only briefly. “LIES!” the voice was practically a roar, quaking through the entirety of his body as the lake’s surface broke. “You steal your name,” it retorted, ignoring the Fae’s shouts back, “You loathe your position. And,” again, the voice quieted, “You do not belong.”

Something massive began to approach Zylen, former confidence drained from his being. He wanted to retort the blunt statements and their assumptions, but he simply couldn’t muster the courage again. Besides, the voice wasn’t wrong. Zylen’s name wasn’t his own. Zylen’s position as librarian was far from ideal. And lately, he was beginning to feel more and more like he was burdening the others around him. It was far from accumulating into nothing, but it put into perspective just how much had changed since his arrival. Too scared to act, he waited for the source of the voice to finish approaching, thoughts abuzz with what had been spoken to him.

He never saw them. Only the swirling of the fog as it became disturbed by the presence of a behemoth, and the eerie purple glow of eyes from within. They lay there, unmoving as they pierced into the Fae’s own. The two stared in silence before the voice again, far quieter, yet as distant as before, “You have a choice. Stay. Or leave.”

Zylen opened his mouth to inquire about his options, only to be drowned out once again, “To us, your choice does not matter. We do not care either way.”

Turning away from his calls and eventual desperate cries, the presence soon disappeared out of sight, and once again he found himself alone. The moon still shone brightly above him, the water still and calm beneath, and the fog gently rolling around him. He had been given a choice, unaware of the consequences of either option. Both could lead to his demise or both could mean nothing and he didn’t know.

What did he want?

He stared up at the moon, looking at the stars that glowed dimly around it.

What did he want?

He looked down in the water, staring back at his own reflection.

What did…

He made his choice.

No commentary for suspense aside. How did the dice do this to me. How
[center][b]Day 46[/b] [item=Stone Fertility Statue][/center] With a huff and a disheartened groan, Jeremiah slipped the covers off his back. None of the bedrooms in the manor had been made with Banescales in mind, but he’d long grown used to laying in one. Staff had been overly generous with his requests to modify his room and bedding, now resting along a back corner with a wall of pillows. Even with adjustments, he hardly called the arrangement ideal, but hopefully they’d get a proper bed soon. As he dressed himself, his mood didn’t lighten. Yesterday was another day filled with requests from Elanor that merely led to dead ends. Not to mention Zylen had made himself scarce for the latter half of the day. Not that he could blame the Fae after what the Banescale had heard about the events that transpired. He only wished that the librarian had stuck around to keep him company. Elanor was far too quiet when it came to her work, and Apollyon was more than unsettling at times to be around. The new talks about a “pest” from the Spiral weren’t helping. Still too early for breakfast, Jeremiah stopped by the library to see if he could catch Zylen. It was common for the small dragon to be up and about this early, often making preparations for after breakfast. After wandering many rows of the countless shelves and knocking twice on the librarian’s office without a response, the Banescale accepted his bad luck and made his way to the archives. The Fae must have decided to sleep in that morning. Cleaning up last night’s mess of documents, Jeremiah found his frustrations returning. Elanor had tasked him with looking into some of the older files in storage, well aware of how fruitless doing so would be. Filled with journals and diaries, correspondence letters but only from one end, tarnished or rusted coins and metal decorations, scraps of fabric, and a few other miscellaneous materials, Jeremiah found it nigh impossible to figure out what he was dealing with. The need for reference material was the main reason behind the Banescale’s search for Zylen, as the Fae would likely know where to find texts discussing the era and everything that was a part of it. He began to get worried when Zylen wasn’t present at breakfast. He knew that everyone didn’t have to eat at the same time, but most attempted to be present as of recent. As he entered, a member of staff announced that Saile had delivered their next assignment to be read off. Jeremiah found it unusual for the letter to be ready this early, but he found it all the more reason to be worried about the Fae. He may have slept in on occasion, but he’d never miss a job being read off. Elanor’s expression reflected his own as she took note of the Fae’s absence. Their discussion quickly shifted from that day’s plans to the Fae, and before long, they began to wonder where he could have gone. They questioned Howl about the missing librarian when he joined the table, wondering if the darker Tundra had seen Zylen at all the previous afternoon. With a negative response from him and later Jaxon when the Guardian passed by, the two were quickly running out of options of where Zylen may have gone without using the portal room. As Eowyn and finally Apollyon joined the others, a Skydancer quickly cleared her throat before opening the letter containing Saile’s most recent request. He sighed once he realized that Zylen would not be joining them, making sure he’d tell the Fae about the task later if someone else didn’t first. The professor’s request was quite simple for them this time around. There were reports of a strange shop cropping up on one of the Tangle Wood’s marketplaces. Saile stated his own skepticism at the stand, as it could originate from the black market, making a temporary appearance in public spaces to garner attention from more shady individuals. After asking around and gathering many strange complaints about sold products, he deemed it interesting enough to ask a couple of his assistants to investigate. Stating he’d like Eowyn and Apollyon to embark on the task, he followed up with an apology should this simply be a black market stall. Jeremiah finished eating not long after the announcement. Elanor requested he join her in the archives to begin their work as they weren’t needed for the mission, but the Banescale had other ideas. After another fruitless search for Zylen in the library, he took to visiting the Fae’s room, finding the door ajar. Worry returning as he saw no sign of the small dragon inside, he returned to the dining room, finding it empty. A quick search of the archives and inquiring Elanor about Zylen and finding nothing, he finally decided to return to his work, deciding to continue after lunch. And yet again, he found nothing. Fearing that Zylen took the portal somewhere dangerous or wound up in a situation like Eowyn had, he made a beeline for the ancient structure. He was relieved to find that it had yet to be set up for the manor’s next destination, but the feeling was short-lived. The tome remained untouched from their last trek through it, and the Banescale knew that the librarian wouldn’t hide his destination in case of a situation where he may be harmed. With evidence that Zylen was on the manor’s property still or had been taken from it, he enlisted Howl’s aid. The Tundra didn’t promise anything, but began the search at once, beginning from the exit he had witnessed the Fae leaving most commonly. Before beginning his own search of the exterior of the mansion, Jeremiah had one more room he believed Zylen might have gone to. After three slow, steady knocks on the metal door, Jeremiah was happy to see Clancy’s face. The Pearlcatcher looked tired as always, but far more calm than what he had seen of her days prior. She hid her braced arm from view as she spoke, “Yes Jerry?” Jeremiah did his best not to glare back at Clancy for disrespecting his name. With all she was going through, his personal frustration and anger did not need to be let out on her. Instead, he corrected her bluntly with, “It’s Jeremiah,” before stating what he was there for. “I’ve been looking for Zylen all day. I know he’s been concerned about you so I was wondering if he stopped by at all?” Shaking her head, the Pearlcatcher frowned, “Not since yesterday morning. I’ve been meaning to ask him to join me for discussion.” “What about?” he quickly realized his prying remark, “If you don’t mind me asking.” “Well,” Clancy began, “I was expecting a letter from Saile either today or tomorrow. After discovering the panic room I’ve felt more...myself. It’s nice being able to think straight, but that also means I lose the clarity as soon as I leave. If I’m to take Saile’s suggestions, I’d like to have Zylen there to make sure I keep my head on my shoulders.” Jeremiah felt a wave of guilt and pity rush over him as he picked up the hints of desperation in Clancy’s voice. He only wished he could bring the good news she was asking for in it, “I’ve got help from Elanor and Howl already. With luck one of us will find him before long. One of us should be sure to stop by when we do.” With a patient smile, he left the historian alon, a pit forming in his stomach as he abandoned her. There was nothing until after the sun began to set. Hour after hour revealed no sign of the Fae, and Jeremiah began to accept that either the Fae had left the manor entirely or had been abducted in some unknown fashion. That was, until Howl came rushing down one of the halls, soaking wet but carrying the Fae’s body. Too quick for Jeremiah to take note of the Fae’s condition, the Banescale was doubtful that he was alright. The Tundra who rescued him appeared to have jumped into some body of water to save him, which meant that the Fae was also on or in it when found. With only staff rotating through the infirmary after Zylen was dropped off, the only news Jeremiah got came from Howl. The Tundra was able to confirm Zylen was alive, but only barely, having nearly drowned in a lake on the edge of the mansion’s grounds. Howl stated mild concern towards the Fae beyond that however. He believed something was off or different about the librarian, as his scent was far weaker than usual. At such close proximity, the Tundra knew he would have difficulty catching the scent of another, but despite this, it seemed almost the reverse. It left the Tundra confused, but overjoyed to have been able to locate and save the Fae. That night, good news rang out of the Fae’s successful recovery. All but two residents shared in the positivity. As Jeremiah found himself staring down Apollyon, the Spiral looked back with the first hint of emotion he’d seen in a while. And it was one of fear. --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge Well would you look at that. Zylen lived. Of course my luck would spite me like that. He has been given Smoke to reflect his new status as a Lonely Avatar. Anyways, a mix of distractions and me literally not having time to do the 40 battles needed for the meat food item I pulled yesterday made me unable to post yesterday. I was half-hoping for another food item today because I wanted to level some peeps, but I guess not. I'll let you guys guess what Apollyon's scared of. As for Clancy, I'll be sure to get to her situation in writing when I can. I can't get to [i]everything[/i] I'd like to in these posts. I simply don't have the writing time, and I do try to not make these posts too long. Last notes, but a) Jeremiah was the perspective only for today, and b) I didn't do Elanor as the perspective change for [i]reasons[/i].
Day 46
Stone Fertility Statue

With a huff and a disheartened groan, Jeremiah slipped the covers off his back. None of the bedrooms in the manor had been made with Banescales in mind, but he’d long grown used to laying in one. Staff had been overly generous with his requests to modify his room and bedding, now resting along a back corner with a wall of pillows. Even with adjustments, he hardly called the arrangement ideal, but hopefully they’d get a proper bed soon.

As he dressed himself, his mood didn’t lighten. Yesterday was another day filled with requests from Elanor that merely led to dead ends. Not to mention Zylen had made himself scarce for the latter half of the day. Not that he could blame the Fae after what the Banescale had heard about the events that transpired. He only wished that the librarian had stuck around to keep him company. Elanor was far too quiet when it came to her work, and Apollyon was more than unsettling at times to be around. The new talks about a “pest” from the Spiral weren’t helping.

Still too early for breakfast, Jeremiah stopped by the library to see if he could catch Zylen. It was common for the small dragon to be up and about this early, often making preparations for after breakfast. After wandering many rows of the countless shelves and knocking twice on the librarian’s office without a response, the Banescale accepted his bad luck and made his way to the archives. The Fae must have decided to sleep in that morning.

Cleaning up last night’s mess of documents, Jeremiah found his frustrations returning. Elanor had tasked him with looking into some of the older files in storage, well aware of how fruitless doing so would be. Filled with journals and diaries, correspondence letters but only from one end, tarnished or rusted coins and metal decorations, scraps of fabric, and a few other miscellaneous materials, Jeremiah found it nigh impossible to figure out what he was dealing with. The need for reference material was the main reason behind the Banescale’s search for Zylen, as the Fae would likely know where to find texts discussing the era and everything that was a part of it.

He began to get worried when Zylen wasn’t present at breakfast. He knew that everyone didn’t have to eat at the same time, but most attempted to be present as of recent. As he entered, a member of staff announced that Saile had delivered their next assignment to be read off. Jeremiah found it unusual for the letter to be ready this early, but he found it all the more reason to be worried about the Fae. He may have slept in on occasion, but he’d never miss a job being read off.

Elanor’s expression reflected his own as she took note of the Fae’s absence. Their discussion quickly shifted from that day’s plans to the Fae, and before long, they began to wonder where he could have gone. They questioned Howl about the missing librarian when he joined the table, wondering if the darker Tundra had seen Zylen at all the previous afternoon. With a negative response from him and later Jaxon when the Guardian passed by, the two were quickly running out of options of where Zylen may have gone without using the portal room.

As Eowyn and finally Apollyon joined the others, a Skydancer quickly cleared her throat before opening the letter containing Saile’s most recent request. He sighed once he realized that Zylen would not be joining them, making sure he’d tell the Fae about the task later if someone else didn’t first. The professor’s request was quite simple for them this time around. There were reports of a strange shop cropping up on one of the Tangle Wood’s marketplaces. Saile stated his own skepticism at the stand, as it could originate from the black market, making a temporary appearance in public spaces to garner attention from more shady individuals. After asking around and gathering many strange complaints about sold products, he deemed it interesting enough to ask a couple of his assistants to investigate. Stating he’d like Eowyn and Apollyon to embark on the task, he followed up with an apology should this simply be a black market stall.

Jeremiah finished eating not long after the announcement. Elanor requested he join her in the archives to begin their work as they weren’t needed for the mission, but the Banescale had other ideas. After another fruitless search for Zylen in the library, he took to visiting the Fae’s room, finding the door ajar. Worry returning as he saw no sign of the small dragon inside, he returned to the dining room, finding it empty. A quick search of the archives and inquiring Elanor about Zylen and finding nothing, he finally decided to return to his work, deciding to continue after lunch.

And yet again, he found nothing. Fearing that Zylen took the portal somewhere dangerous or wound up in a situation like Eowyn had, he made a beeline for the ancient structure. He was relieved to find that it had yet to be set up for the manor’s next destination, but the feeling was short-lived. The tome remained untouched from their last trek through it, and the Banescale knew that the librarian wouldn’t hide his destination in case of a situation where he may be harmed.

With evidence that Zylen was on the manor’s property still or had been taken from it, he enlisted Howl’s aid. The Tundra didn’t promise anything, but began the search at once, beginning from the exit he had witnessed the Fae leaving most commonly. Before beginning his own search of the exterior of the mansion, Jeremiah had one more room he believed Zylen might have gone to.

After three slow, steady knocks on the metal door, Jeremiah was happy to see Clancy’s face. The Pearlcatcher looked tired as always, but far more calm than what he had seen of her days prior. She hid her braced arm from view as she spoke, “Yes Jerry?”

Jeremiah did his best not to glare back at Clancy for disrespecting his name. With all she was going through, his personal frustration and anger did not need to be let out on her. Instead, he corrected her bluntly with, “It’s Jeremiah,” before stating what he was there for. “I’ve been looking for Zylen all day. I know he’s been concerned about you so I was wondering if he stopped by at all?”

Shaking her head, the Pearlcatcher frowned, “Not since yesterday morning. I’ve been meaning to ask him to join me for discussion.”

“What about?” he quickly realized his prying remark, “If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Well,” Clancy began, “I was expecting a letter from Saile either today or tomorrow. After discovering the panic room I’ve felt more...myself. It’s nice being able to think straight, but that also means I lose the clarity as soon as I leave. If I’m to take Saile’s suggestions, I’d like to have Zylen there to make sure I keep my head on my shoulders.”

Jeremiah felt a wave of guilt and pity rush over him as he picked up the hints of desperation in Clancy’s voice. He only wished he could bring the good news she was asking for in it, “I’ve got help from Elanor and Howl already. With luck one of us will find him before long. One of us should be sure to stop by when we do.” With a patient smile, he left the historian alon, a pit forming in his stomach as he abandoned her.

There was nothing until after the sun began to set. Hour after hour revealed no sign of the Fae, and Jeremiah began to accept that either the Fae had left the manor entirely or had been abducted in some unknown fashion. That was, until Howl came rushing down one of the halls, soaking wet but carrying the Fae’s body. Too quick for Jeremiah to take note of the Fae’s condition, the Banescale was doubtful that he was alright. The Tundra who rescued him appeared to have jumped into some body of water to save him, which meant that the Fae was also on or in it when found.

With only staff rotating through the infirmary after Zylen was dropped off, the only news Jeremiah got came from Howl. The Tundra was able to confirm Zylen was alive, but only barely, having nearly drowned in a lake on the edge of the mansion’s grounds. Howl stated mild concern towards the Fae beyond that however. He believed something was off or different about the librarian, as his scent was far weaker than usual. At such close proximity, the Tundra knew he would have difficulty catching the scent of another, but despite this, it seemed almost the reverse. It left the Tundra confused, but overjoyed to have been able to locate and save the Fae.

That night, good news rang out of the Fae’s successful recovery. All but two residents shared in the positivity. As Jeremiah found himself staring down Apollyon, the Spiral looked back with the first hint of emotion he’d seen in a while.

And it was one of fear.

Well would you look at that. Zylen lived. Of course my luck would spite me like that. He has been given Smoke to reflect his new status as a Lonely Avatar.

Anyways, a mix of distractions and me literally not having time to do the 40 battles needed for the meat food item I pulled yesterday made me unable to post yesterday. I was half-hoping for another food item today because I wanted to level some peeps, but I guess not.

I'll let you guys guess what Apollyon's scared of. As for Clancy, I'll be sure to get to her situation in writing when I can. I can't get to everything I'd like to in these posts. I simply don't have the writing time, and I do try to not make these posts too long.

Last notes, but a) Jeremiah was the perspective only for today, and b) I didn't do Elanor as the perspective change for reasons.
Head's up for this week. I didn't post Sunday and won't be posting today because migraines, despite my motivation. As for the rest of this week, my group has the post-work assignments, so I'll be working a bit longer and therefore will be home later with less time to work on this. I will also probably be a fair bit exhausted, so I apologize if updates are scarce.

I also apologize for a recent lack of updates in general. I want to get back to doing this every day, but my motivation and focus is down due to some important irl things that have come up in the background that require my focus. It's a decent amount of stress on me, so that's also affecting my ability to work on this. Hopefully some of that stress goes away soonish so I can go back to writing for this more regularly.
Head's up for this week. I didn't post Sunday and won't be posting today because migraines, despite my motivation. As for the rest of this week, my group has the post-work assignments, so I'll be working a bit longer and therefore will be home later with less time to work on this. I will also probably be a fair bit exhausted, so I apologize if updates are scarce.

I also apologize for a recent lack of updates in general. I want to get back to doing this every day, but my motivation and focus is down due to some important irl things that have come up in the background that require my focus. It's a decent amount of stress on me, so that's also affecting my ability to work on this. Hopefully some of that stress goes away soonish so I can go back to writing for this more regularly.
Life update time! This time I have to sadly announce another hiatus because I need to do some self-care. Between everything I'm not doing the best physically and mentally and I also have very important things going on that take priority over this. I need time to get through all of this and not stress out about this on top of everything else.

That said, I have not given up on this! I do still have a lot planned and as this is the closest I have to clan lore, you can bet I'm not abandoning it forever. It may take as long as a month or so for me to come back to this fully, but I'll try and do little things here and there and post when I'm feeling mentally well enough for it. Just don't expect a full return with daily posts anytime soon. I've really wanted to get back to that but it's just been nigh impossible as of late.

Final notes, but just because I'm not writing doesn't mean I'm not doing anything for this period. As stated before I will still update on occasion, and I may be doing little doodles in the future! I've been more of a sketching mood as of late rather than a writing mood. I'm also always willing to chat or discuss things in relation to the Pinkerlocke as well.

Sorry I have to do this again, but I'll try and be back soon!
Life update time! This time I have to sadly announce another hiatus because I need to do some self-care. Between everything I'm not doing the best physically and mentally and I also have very important things going on that take priority over this. I need time to get through all of this and not stress out about this on top of everything else.

That said, I have not given up on this! I do still have a lot planned and as this is the closest I have to clan lore, you can bet I'm not abandoning it forever. It may take as long as a month or so for me to come back to this fully, but I'll try and do little things here and there and post when I'm feeling mentally well enough for it. Just don't expect a full return with daily posts anytime soon. I've really wanted to get back to that but it's just been nigh impossible as of late.

Final notes, but just because I'm not writing doesn't mean I'm not doing anything for this period. As stated before I will still update on occasion, and I may be doing little doodles in the future! I've been more of a sketching mood as of late rather than a writing mood. I'm also always willing to chat or discuss things in relation to the Pinkerlocke as well.

Sorry I have to do this again, but I'll try and be back soon!
[center][b]Day 47[/b] [item=Broadback Pleco][/center] Zylen hadn’t been allowed to exit the infirmary since he had regained consciousness. Medical staff monitored him periodically, often repeating tests with the meals they would bring him. They were exceptionally concerned about his breathing, having forced a fair bit of water out of his lungs after he had been discovered and delivered by Howl. How he felt physically and the events of yesterday was the furthest thing from his mind however. His memories were a blur and a mess. He could hardly remember the prior day’s events, and he found recalling events from the past couple weeks were muddied and broken. Finding recalling specifics nigh impossible, he promised himself to talk to Elanor about looking at the extra copies of the job reports he made. The staff was certainly concerned about his mental state, but there was little they could do with the mansion’s supplied medications and their medical expertise. The Fae regretted telling them this information in the end, as it was the primary reason behind being unable to leave. Their reaction to his suddenly patchy memory why he refused to truthfully discuss his physical state. Something about the way his magic flowed through his body didn’t feel right. He felt healthy enough, but there was an unknown sensation pervading his being. He likened it to a pull at first, as if his magic was acting as a magnet, but as it spread to encompass the entirety of him, that faded. Instead, it was replaced with the feeling that something foreign was a part of him now. It didn’t belong but his body neither accepted nor attempted to purge it away. His introspection was cut off by a knock on the infirmary door. Zylen lacked a view of the door, so he listened in on indistinct chatter for a couple minutes before he picked up on a set of footsteps approaching him. He was relieved to see the friendly face of Clancy as she came into view. The Pearlcatcher’s tension dissolved when she spotted him, replaced with relative calm. “You know, for a Shadow dragon, you’ve become quite pale,” she joked. Zylen was aware of the added swirls of white to his body. The sudden markings didn’t stress him much. As far as the Fae was concerned, they were purely cosmetic, “Hey, sometimes the best stealth is hiding in plain sight.” She chuckled, “Glad to see you’re doing well. The staff hasn’t been too harsh on you have they?” Mild worry crossed her face briefly, “I remember how they were when I was admitted here.” “They’re adamant on me not leaving until tomorrow, but otherwise they’ve been fine.” He raised his frills in alarm, “How’s everyone doing? I didn’t worry them did I?” “That’s part of why I’m here,” Clancy answered, “I had a checkup today so I thought I’d use the time to talk to you.” She paused, “You wouldn’t mind me taking care of that first? That way it won’t interrupt our conversation.” He nodded, and began his wait, quickly returning to contemplating the state he now found himself in. He started to mess around with his magic when something about it began to try and pull him somewhere. It didn’t take long for him to realize it was directed towards Clancy, and he did his best to suppress the feeling, not wanting yet another strange sensation to wind up stressing out about. Thankfully it faded quickly, and the Pearlcatcher rejoined him soon after. She started with the letter Saile had sent the night prior, explaining the trip to a market that Eowyn and Apollyon had left on the night before. Then she went on to discuss a commotion from that morning, where Howl tore up an entire section of a hallway in search of a “malevolent scent” he picked up in the area. Elanor and Jeremiah were called in to look over the torn area to see if there was perhaps a hidden room or hallway, only to find nothing. Not even a sign of anything alive having ever been inside the area. Bringing of the archive’s residents segwayed into her talking about Jeremiah’s worry from the day before, stating that he clearly was missing Zylen’s companionship while working. Zylen enjoyed hearing all this news, but something was bothering him. He hadn’t heard anything about the Pearlcatcher herself, “And what about you?” Sudden unease crossed her tired face, “I suppose I’m hanging in here. The panic room has been helping me be...myself I guess. Saile sent me a personal letter this morning, but I’d like discussion on that to be done in private. I’m not comfortable telling you with staff around.” “Alright, then what about your checkup?” Zylen changed the subject, acknowledging the unease the previous one brought up. “It’s not good,” She sighed, “In fact, they believe whatever my condition is, it’s getting worse. You know, more black oil and tar in my body and the like. All the fun stuff.” “What about your mental state? I don’t want to keep you here if you’re willing yourself to not break down into paranoia.” “I’ll be fine as long as I’m not out for too long,” her voice still held concern, but she at least found some ease in knowing she wasn’t trapped within the panic room. “Although I should probably get going. I need to stop by my office and grab what I need for work. If I can keep up the job I’m here for, I’m going to try and keep it up.” “Well, I wish the best for you. What you’re going through is rough, and I wouldn’t want anyone I know to go through it.” He waved farewell to Clancy, only to hear her begin to retch before reaching the door. Panic ensued from the medical staff, but it wasn’t long Clancy was gone anyways. With nothing to help combat her condition there was little that could be done, so she was dismissed to continue her day. That night, Zylen’s sleep was disrupted. His mind was in a fog as he awoke to the sound of footsteps from somewhere in the infirmary. At first he thought it was time for the morning shift to begin prepping for work. He found no one whenever he crawled out of bed to look around, but the footsteps continued. Then they stopped, replaced by scratching moments later. Whatever he was hearing was in the walls, and he was beginning to regret not having believed Apollyon about a pest in the mansion. He watched as something slowly broke through the wall, the Fae backing away towards the door leading out of the room. He wanted to flee immediately, but swallowed his urge to run as he hoped to at least get a look at what he was about to come face to face with. Eventually the sounds of scratching and crumbling wall stopped, the air growing quiet before the light taps of the source of the hole creeped out from within. [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=57&bodygene=59&breed=3&element=8&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=115&tertgene=6&winggene=4&wings=142&auth=de649ba91efbcd3e1b49e025a03d1b2466da5596&dummyext=prev.png[/img] What Zylen found staring back at him was some sort of draconic toy. It was hard to make out in the darkness of the room, even with his enhanced vision. As it stalked closer, he found it to take on the appearance of a Mirror, albeit a lot smaller than the breed. It shuddered and jerked unlike any dragon he knew though, its movements sharp and irregular. As it’s mouth opened, he spotted an array of moving mouthparts and tendrils that didn’t belong to any dragon he knew of. Seeing enough, he bolted from the room, not daring to look behind him. He didn’t feel safe until he found his way to Clancy’s room, not questioning why the Pearlcatcher was awake at that late of an hour. She questioned him, but he was in no mood to chat, only eyeing the doors and walls around him. She confirmed that whatever he was running from, he’d be safe there, and he quickly collapsed on the couch. The rest of the night neither of them heard nothing, but Zylen knew all too well sleep was a lost cause. He’d investigate in the morning. ---------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @megara17 @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge I. AM. BACK. Oh my god life ramped up for a bit after I left. Just as soon as the previous irl stuff began to wind down, work stuff became chaotic. I wished I had found time to at least draw the crew, but the past month has been hectic. However, work chaos has finally subsided and I'm back on a normal schedule with nothing to really worry about. I am doing better though, and am happy to start this back up again! It may take a bit to get back into the rhythm again, but I'm excited. As for this first pull, I got Zylen, Clancy, and Elanor on the same team. While this meant I wasn't too worried about losing anyone due to two of the three being avatars, I still had some close calls. Everyone's gained at least one level, meaning that if Zylen is pulled again, I begin my dreaded journey into the Forgotten Cave. I find it to be another Scorched Forest type of hurdle, though I haven't been here for Pinkerlocke reasons since the update. I don't know how bad it'll be, but I hold obvious concern towards the bosses, even if I can just flee them. As for plot, [i]it is time[/i].
Day 47
Broadback Pleco

Zylen hadn’t been allowed to exit the infirmary since he had regained consciousness. Medical staff monitored him periodically, often repeating tests with the meals they would bring him. They were exceptionally concerned about his breathing, having forced a fair bit of water out of his lungs after he had been discovered and delivered by Howl. How he felt physically and the events of yesterday was the furthest thing from his mind however.

His memories were a blur and a mess. He could hardly remember the prior day’s events, and he found recalling events from the past couple weeks were muddied and broken. Finding recalling specifics nigh impossible, he promised himself to talk to Elanor about looking at the extra copies of the job reports he made. The staff was certainly concerned about his mental state, but there was little they could do with the mansion’s supplied medications and their medical expertise. The Fae regretted telling them this information in the end, as it was the primary reason behind being unable to leave.

Their reaction to his suddenly patchy memory why he refused to truthfully discuss his physical state. Something about the way his magic flowed through his body didn’t feel right. He felt healthy enough, but there was an unknown sensation pervading his being. He likened it to a pull at first, as if his magic was acting as a magnet, but as it spread to encompass the entirety of him, that faded. Instead, it was replaced with the feeling that something foreign was a part of him now. It didn’t belong but his body neither accepted nor attempted to purge it away.

His introspection was cut off by a knock on the infirmary door. Zylen lacked a view of the door, so he listened in on indistinct chatter for a couple minutes before he picked up on a set of footsteps approaching him. He was relieved to see the friendly face of Clancy as she came into view. The Pearlcatcher’s tension dissolved when she spotted him, replaced with relative calm.

“You know, for a Shadow dragon, you’ve become quite pale,” she joked.

Zylen was aware of the added swirls of white to his body. The sudden markings didn’t stress him much. As far as the Fae was concerned, they were purely cosmetic, “Hey, sometimes the best stealth is hiding in plain sight.”

She chuckled, “Glad to see you’re doing well. The staff hasn’t been too harsh on you have they?” Mild worry crossed her face briefly, “I remember how they were when I was admitted here.”

“They’re adamant on me not leaving until tomorrow, but otherwise they’ve been fine.” He raised his frills in alarm, “How’s everyone doing? I didn’t worry them did I?”

“That’s part of why I’m here,” Clancy answered, “I had a checkup today so I thought I’d use the time to talk to you.” She paused, “You wouldn’t mind me taking care of that first? That way it won’t interrupt our conversation.”

He nodded, and began his wait, quickly returning to contemplating the state he now found himself in. He started to mess around with his magic when something about it began to try and pull him somewhere. It didn’t take long for him to realize it was directed towards Clancy, and he did his best to suppress the feeling, not wanting yet another strange sensation to wind up stressing out about. Thankfully it faded quickly, and the Pearlcatcher rejoined him soon after.

She started with the letter Saile had sent the night prior, explaining the trip to a market that Eowyn and Apollyon had left on the night before. Then she went on to discuss a commotion from that morning, where Howl tore up an entire section of a hallway in search of a “malevolent scent” he picked up in the area. Elanor and Jeremiah were called in to look over the torn area to see if there was perhaps a hidden room or hallway, only to find nothing. Not even a sign of anything alive having ever been inside the area. Bringing of the archive’s residents segwayed into her talking about Jeremiah’s worry from the day before, stating that he clearly was missing Zylen’s companionship while working.

Zylen enjoyed hearing all this news, but something was bothering him. He hadn’t heard anything about the Pearlcatcher herself, “And what about you?”

Sudden unease crossed her tired face, “I suppose I’m hanging in here. The panic room has been helping me be...myself I guess. Saile sent me a personal letter this morning, but I’d like discussion on that to be done in private. I’m not comfortable telling you with staff around.”

“Alright, then what about your checkup?” Zylen changed the subject, acknowledging the unease the previous one brought up.

“It’s not good,” She sighed, “In fact, they believe whatever my condition is, it’s getting worse. You know, more black oil and tar in my body and the like. All the fun stuff.”

“What about your mental state? I don’t want to keep you here if you’re willing yourself to not break down into paranoia.”

“I’ll be fine as long as I’m not out for too long,” her voice still held concern, but she at least found some ease in knowing she wasn’t trapped within the panic room. “Although I should probably get going. I need to stop by my office and grab what I need for work. If I can keep up the job I’m here for, I’m going to try and keep it up.”

“Well, I wish the best for you. What you’re going through is rough, and I wouldn’t want anyone I know to go through it.” He waved farewell to Clancy, only to hear her begin to retch before reaching the door. Panic ensued from the medical staff, but it wasn’t long Clancy was gone anyways. With nothing to help combat her condition there was little that could be done, so she was dismissed to continue her day.

That night, Zylen’s sleep was disrupted.

His mind was in a fog as he awoke to the sound of footsteps from somewhere in the infirmary. At first he thought it was time for the morning shift to begin prepping for work. He found no one whenever he crawled out of bed to look around, but the footsteps continued. Then they stopped, replaced by scratching moments later. Whatever he was hearing was in the walls, and he was beginning to regret not having believed Apollyon about a pest in the mansion.

He watched as something slowly broke through the wall, the Fae backing away towards the door leading out of the room. He wanted to flee immediately, but swallowed his urge to run as he hoped to at least get a look at what he was about to come face to face with. Eventually the sounds of scratching and crumbling wall stopped, the air growing quiet before the light taps of the source of the hole creeped out from within.

dragon?age=1&body=57&bodygene=59&breed=3&element=8&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=115&tertgene=6&winggene=4&wings=142&auth=de649ba91efbcd3e1b49e025a03d1b2466da5596&dummyext=prev.png

What Zylen found staring back at him was some sort of draconic toy. It was hard to make out in the darkness of the room, even with his enhanced vision. As it stalked closer, he found it to take on the appearance of a Mirror, albeit a lot smaller than the breed. It shuddered and jerked unlike any dragon he knew though, its movements sharp and irregular. As it’s mouth opened, he spotted an array of moving mouthparts and tendrils that didn’t belong to any dragon he knew of. Seeing enough, he bolted from the room, not daring to look behind him.

He didn’t feel safe until he found his way to Clancy’s room, not questioning why the Pearlcatcher was awake at that late of an hour. She questioned him, but he was in no mood to chat, only eyeing the doors and walls around him. She confirmed that whatever he was running from, he’d be safe there, and he quickly collapsed on the couch. The rest of the night neither of them heard nothing, but Zylen knew all too well sleep was a lost cause.

He’d investigate in the morning.

I. AM. BACK.

Oh my god life ramped up for a bit after I left. Just as soon as the previous irl stuff began to wind down, work stuff became chaotic. I wished I had found time to at least draw the crew, but the past month has been hectic. However, work chaos has finally subsided and I'm back on a normal schedule with nothing to really worry about. I am doing better though, and am happy to start this back up again! It may take a bit to get back into the rhythm again, but I'm excited.

As for this first pull, I got Zylen, Clancy, and Elanor on the same team. While this meant I wasn't too worried about losing anyone due to two of the three being avatars, I still had some close calls. Everyone's gained at least one level, meaning that if Zylen is pulled again, I begin my dreaded journey into the Forgotten Cave. I find it to be another Scorched Forest type of hurdle, though I haven't been here for Pinkerlocke reasons since the update. I don't know how bad it'll be, but I hold obvious concern towards the bosses, even if I can just flee them.

As for plot, it is time.
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21