Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] Insight
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
[center][b]Day 99[/b] [item=Leon Mask] Content Warning: Death, Being Hunted, Drowning, Burning, Giving Up[/center] “So, what do you think of Corrina?” Wandering the crowded yet ominous halls of the backstage area had sent a mix of ease and tension through Zylen. Wanting to diffuse that feeling some, he had turned Jeremiah, his trustworthy companion in their endeavor. “The archeologist?” The Banescale waited for a nod from his much smaller partner, “She’s certainly something. I haven’t seen much of her, but I think the customary introduction dinner said enough.” “And what was that to you?” The Fae retorted, “I’m sure we have some differences in opinion. Like with Gabriel.” “Oh, the python?” A smile crossed his face, “I’ve always been fond of snakes. I wonder if she’ll let me see him sometimes.” Lowering his fans, he was not amused by the comment, “Exactly. That’s easy to say when you aren’t potentially on the menu.” “Oh come on like you’ll get…” “It’s rare but it still happens Jeremiah. Faes, Veilspun, and the occasional Spiral. We may have magic but that doesn’t stop us from being strangled in our sleep.” “Okay, I’ll drop it.” Wings moving uncomfortably with the unwanted change in discussion, he focused back to the Guardian in question, “Well, the first thing is she’s definitely assertive. She doesn’t look like the kind to demand attention, but she certainly knows how to if she needs.” “I agree minus the demanding attention bit.” Zylen paused as he thought over how he interpreted the few interruptions and contributions Corinna provided. “I think she demands attention, but it’s almost not, deliberate? I think she knows she can be the center of a conversation or situation if she puts forth the effort. Probably had to fight her way to be where she is now, and this could be a side effect of that. That, or she was like me.” “What do you mean by that?” it wasn’t hard to make out Jeremiah’s tone. “You’re the opposite of her if you ask me.” “I mean in our roles.” Zylen stopped moving to look at his coworker, “I was a librarian assistant before I came here. Maybe Corinna wasn’t a head archeologist until she came here. If her boss wasn’t good at inserting themselves into a conversation, maybe she did so on their behalf. Get attention on her so another could get a word in.” A brisk nod of acknowledgement, “I see now. A matter of circumstance if you will.” “You can call it that.” He looked around, “Not to change the subject, but where did you want to start this time? I know I’ve been the one heading when we take part in these explorations, but you’re the closest thing to an ‘expert’ in a place like this.” “Well, we were given a cursed prop, right? Why not try a prop room? Doesn’t matter if it’s storage or a workshop.” The much larger dragon took the lead, looking at the various plaques and signs guiding them through the area. “I suppose that makes sense.” Zylen attempted to not be overwhelmed by the size of this area of the mansion. He’d never been to the theatre except for past crimes he committed for the cult, so he had no idea if this was smaller, larger, or perfectly average for one of this caliber. He continued his train of thought from before, “I don’t think we’ll find anything cursed though. Any of those are probably with Apollyon.” “Well, we know who to shout for if we do,” the Banescale joked, chuckling some. Pace picking up as he spotted something that caught his eye, the jovial energy carried in his strides. Nearly falling as a wing clipped one of the many rogue dressing racks, he corrected himself before starting up again. Eventually the two stopped a set of double doors made of some sort of durable wood. As the Ancient tried the door however, it refused to budge, and from what the Fae could see, there was no lock like almost all the others they’d been into so far. “Locked from the other side?” He questioned, unsure what this meant. “For once, probably not.” There was a sudden fear in Jeremiah’s eyes, which he quickly shook away. He swallowed nervously before continuing, “It’s probably barred from the other side. There’s almost certainly another entrance that should grant us entry that has a proper lock. Also means we’ll likely have to grab Elanor again if it’s still locked.” “Why would it be blocked though? Surely this is the better way out in case of a situation?” The Banescale’s expression dimmed, eyes again fearfully staring at the door. He ran a wing across its exterior, as if feeling for something, “Not if you’re trying to keep something from getting in.” “A-Are you sure,” Zylen cleared his throat, his coworker’s fear rubbing off on him, “Are you sure that we should still look for the other entrance?” Refusing to look away from the door, he took in a deep breath, “Not now. That’s probably best for another day.” Without another word, the Ancient turned and started back towards the exit, pacing much slower and more deliberate as he cautiously looked left and right down some of the halls. As the two found themselves back on stage and returning to the hallways of the mansion, Zylen found himself equal parts puzzled and concerned. He certainly had a reason to fear the prop room and the backstage as a whole after recovering Darryn’s notes and prop lantern. The idea that something equally as dangerous being locked within one of the rooms was more than enough to strike fear into him. But why was Jeremiah so scared when he found out the door was locked? It was a question that would plague his mind even as he turned into his room for the night. ------------- Micah woke in a cold sweat. He was in a forest, alone. He was always alone. It’s what he wanted in his life. But not now. He could tell he was surrounded. Snarls of shadowy beasts that didn’t need to hide. Even as a dragon, he was small, and didn’t possess much magic. He could only fight back for so long without a swarm. He couldn’t hypnotize one to fight the others. Even his claws and teeth wouldn’t be able to do much. And like that, he had given up before he even tried as one pounced on him, sinking teeth into his fragile neck. Micah woke up feeling numb. He was alone. He was aloft. And then he hit the water. A plunge into the ice cold liquid that began to pull him deeper and deeper. The light of the surface fading and the pressure built on his body. His lungs burned for air, but he knew he’d never get any, only what remained held within. But once again, he had already given up. The cold of the water replaced the stale heat of his last breath, and soon he found himself falling unconscious once again. Micah woke up gasping for air. He was alone. He was burning. There was a fire around him. Maybe it was the woods from before. Maybe it was somewhere else. All he could see was the encroaching blaze. He was not drowning but each breath now burned as he inhaled the ashes and embers floating around him. Coughing, he could feel his energy leaving him once more as the flames drew nearer. Before long, they’d reach him, consuming every part of his small body, his mane asking as kindling. Micah awoke writhing in pain. He was alone. He was sinking. Micah awoke feeling stiff. He was alone. He was no longer in control. Micah awoke confused. He was alone. Micah awoke… Micah…. Micah awoke feeling dead. He was alone. But he was back. --------------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Okay, I think I'm finally feeling decent enough to attempt to continue this. Sundays start next week, and the general anger and frustration from work has mostly faded so hopefully I can focus back on stuff like this. Onto the Pinkerlocke itself, Micah got marked by The End! Hopefully this End mark doesn't immediately result in the death of the receiver this time around. As for what happened with Zylen and Jeremiah, there actually is backstory stuff with Jeremiah and rooms being locked that way. There's also absolutely nothing good behind that door so be prepared when that's revealed. Man I can't wait to try and do more with some of the 'ignored' cast members. I can only do so much per post so some members of the locke get left out. Especially based on Zylen's own motivations and who he's most likely to be around as a result of those. I'm trying though I swear. At least a task gets assigned with the next pull. Finally, friendly reminder that a post probably won't happen tomorrow due to D&D. I'll see if I can do some before the session and something after, but don't be surprised if a post doesn't happen. I only have so much time in a day to work on this and writing [i]does[/i] take a couple hours to do, not to mention potential battles form food pulls taking quite a bit if I want to make sure everyone stays alive.
Day 99
Leon Mask
Content Warning: Death, Being Hunted, Drowning, Burning, Giving Up

“So, what do you think of Corrina?” Wandering the crowded yet ominous halls of the backstage area had sent a mix of ease and tension through Zylen. Wanting to diffuse that feeling some, he had turned Jeremiah, his trustworthy companion in their endeavor.

“The archeologist?” The Banescale waited for a nod from his much smaller partner, “She’s certainly something. I haven’t seen much of her, but I think the customary introduction dinner said enough.”

“And what was that to you?” The Fae retorted, “I’m sure we have some differences in opinion. Like with Gabriel.”

“Oh, the python?” A smile crossed his face, “I’ve always been fond of snakes. I wonder if she’ll let me see him sometimes.”

Lowering his fans, he was not amused by the comment, “Exactly. That’s easy to say when you aren’t potentially on the menu.”

“Oh come on like you’ll get…”

“It’s rare but it still happens Jeremiah. Faes, Veilspun, and the occasional Spiral. We may have magic but that doesn’t stop us from being strangled in our sleep.”

“Okay, I’ll drop it.” Wings moving uncomfortably with the unwanted change in discussion, he focused back to the Guardian in question, “Well, the first thing is she’s definitely assertive. She doesn’t look like the kind to demand attention, but she certainly knows how to if she needs.”

“I agree minus the demanding attention bit.” Zylen paused as he thought over how he interpreted the few interruptions and contributions Corinna provided. “I think she demands attention, but it’s almost not, deliberate? I think she knows she can be the center of a conversation or situation if she puts forth the effort. Probably had to fight her way to be where she is now, and this could be a side effect of that. That, or she was like me.”

“What do you mean by that?” it wasn’t hard to make out Jeremiah’s tone. “You’re the opposite of her if you ask me.”

“I mean in our roles.” Zylen stopped moving to look at his coworker, “I was a librarian assistant before I came here. Maybe Corinna wasn’t a head archeologist until she came here. If her boss wasn’t good at inserting themselves into a conversation, maybe she did so on their behalf. Get attention on her so another could get a word in.”

A brisk nod of acknowledgement, “I see now. A matter of circumstance if you will.”

“You can call it that.” He looked around, “Not to change the subject, but where did you want to start this time? I know I’ve been the one heading when we take part in these explorations, but you’re the closest thing to an ‘expert’ in a place like this.”

“Well, we were given a cursed prop, right? Why not try a prop room? Doesn’t matter if it’s storage or a workshop.” The much larger dragon took the lead, looking at the various plaques and signs guiding them through the area.

“I suppose that makes sense.” Zylen attempted to not be overwhelmed by the size of this area of the mansion. He’d never been to the theatre except for past crimes he committed for the cult, so he had no idea if this was smaller, larger, or perfectly average for one of this caliber. He continued his train of thought from before, “I don’t think we’ll find anything cursed though. Any of those are probably with Apollyon.”

“Well, we know who to shout for if we do,” the Banescale joked, chuckling some. Pace picking up as he spotted something that caught his eye, the jovial energy carried in his strides. Nearly falling as a wing clipped one of the many rogue dressing racks, he corrected himself before starting up again. Eventually the two stopped a set of double doors made of some sort of durable wood. As the Ancient tried the door however, it refused to budge, and from what the Fae could see, there was no lock like almost all the others they’d been into so far.

“Locked from the other side?” He questioned, unsure what this meant.

“For once, probably not.” There was a sudden fear in Jeremiah’s eyes, which he quickly shook away. He swallowed nervously before continuing, “It’s probably barred from the other side. There’s almost certainly another entrance that should grant us entry that has a proper lock. Also means we’ll likely have to grab Elanor again if it’s still locked.”

“Why would it be blocked though? Surely this is the better way out in case of a situation?”

The Banescale’s expression dimmed, eyes again fearfully staring at the door. He ran a wing across its exterior, as if feeling for something, “Not if you’re trying to keep something from getting in.”

“A-Are you sure,” Zylen cleared his throat, his coworker’s fear rubbing off on him, “Are you sure that we should still look for the other entrance?”

Refusing to look away from the door, he took in a deep breath, “Not now. That’s probably best for another day.” Without another word, the Ancient turned and started back towards the exit, pacing much slower and more deliberate as he cautiously looked left and right down some of the halls.

As the two found themselves back on stage and returning to the hallways of the mansion, Zylen found himself equal parts puzzled and concerned. He certainly had a reason to fear the prop room and the backstage as a whole after recovering Darryn’s notes and prop lantern. The idea that something equally as dangerous being locked within one of the rooms was more than enough to strike fear into him. But why was Jeremiah so scared when he found out the door was locked?

It was a question that would plague his mind even as he turned into his room for the night.

Micah woke in a cold sweat.

He was in a forest, alone. He was always alone. It’s what he wanted in his life. But not now.

He could tell he was surrounded. Snarls of shadowy beasts that didn’t need to hide. Even as a dragon, he was small, and didn’t possess much magic. He could only fight back for so long without a swarm. He couldn’t hypnotize one to fight the others. Even his claws and teeth wouldn’t be able to do much. And like that, he had given up before he even tried as one pounced on him, sinking teeth into his fragile neck.

Micah woke up feeling numb. He was alone. He was aloft.

And then he hit the water. A plunge into the ice cold liquid that began to pull him deeper and deeper. The light of the surface fading and the pressure built on his body. His lungs burned for air, but he knew he’d never get any, only what remained held within. But once again, he had already given up. The cold of the water replaced the stale heat of his last breath, and soon he found himself falling unconscious once again.

Micah woke up gasping for air. He was alone. He was burning.

There was a fire around him. Maybe it was the woods from before. Maybe it was somewhere else. All he could see was the encroaching blaze. He was not drowning but each breath now burned as he inhaled the ashes and embers floating around him. Coughing, he could feel his energy leaving him once more as the flames drew nearer. Before long, they’d reach him, consuming every part of his small body, his mane asking as kindling.

Micah awoke writhing in pain. He was alone. He was sinking.

Micah awoke feeling stiff. He was alone. He was no longer in control.

Micah awoke confused. He was alone.

Micah awoke…

Micah….

Micah awoke feeling dead. He was alone. But he was back.

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian

Okay, I think I'm finally feeling decent enough to attempt to continue this. Sundays start next week, and the general anger and frustration from work has mostly faded so hopefully I can focus back on stuff like this.

Onto the Pinkerlocke itself, Micah got marked by The End! Hopefully this End mark doesn't immediately result in the death of the receiver this time around. As for what happened with Zylen and Jeremiah, there actually is backstory stuff with Jeremiah and rooms being locked that way. There's also absolutely nothing good behind that door so be prepared when that's revealed.

Man I can't wait to try and do more with some of the 'ignored' cast members. I can only do so much per post so some members of the locke get left out. Especially based on Zylen's own motivations and who he's most likely to be around as a result of those. I'm trying though I swear. At least a task gets assigned with the next pull.

Finally, friendly reminder that a post probably won't happen tomorrow due to D&D. I'll see if I can do some before the session and something after, but don't be surprised if a post doesn't happen. I only have so much time in a day to work on this and writing does take a couple hours to do, not to mention potential battles form food pulls taking quite a bit if I want to make sure everyone stays alive.
gQ7u2pY.pnglIvZUb1.png47O9KMz.png
[center][b]Day 100[/b] [item=Hardshell][/center] Zylen looked over the letter in his claws one more time, the words sinking in. Taking every ounce of willpower not to crumple the paper they were on then and there, he instead lowered it slowly, sliding it forward. Pausing to inhale sharply, he turned his attention back to Elanor, “Saile’s got to be joking right? There’s no way we’d rescue Clancy after what happened.” “He can’t be,” she replied dryly, “I know he doesn’t hold any of us in the highest of regards, but he still does care.” “And what are we supposed to do when we bring her back?” the Fae protested. His fans flared out, “We can’t let her loose knowing what she’s done.” “That’s to figure out once we rescue her. We have no idea what danger she’s in to cause Saile to be concerned.” “All the more reason [i]not[/i] to do this!” Tensing up, he continued, “[i]How[/i] does he know where she is? [i]How[/i] does he know she’s in danger? Pushing aside those questions, think of what we’ve already done. Think about what [i]danger[/i] means to us in our work. I do [i]not[/i] want to run into another creepy cult seeking to sacrifice us to whatever god they’ve been fooled into believing in.” “Well, regardless of [i]your[/i] opinion, you’re not going.” Elanor huffed, “Saile assigned Tulu, Corinna, and Jeremiah for this.” “Wait, why Corinna? She just got here and he’s already throwing her into this?” He rose from his seat with lowered fans, “She’s hasn’t even been here a week!” “She can handle herself Zylen. Not everyone needs to be guided along easily for this, especially with the increasingly complex explanations the lot of us have to give everyone.” She picked up the letter, folding it neatly before placing it in her bag. “Now, I suggest you stop stressing about this. Everything will turn out fine.” Watching the Tundra leave his office, he buried his head in his claws. This was a disaster. If Clancy was brought back alive and uninjured, the first thing she’d do would be to go after him. He was certain of this after taking Thorne’s corpse lying near his room as a threat. He only hoped the others would catch on as well, otherwise he may wind up losing more sleep than he already was. Accepting defeat in convincing his coworkers to not go through with the task, he spent the remainder of his afternoon wandering the library. He finished a shelf before lazily going through loose, unsorted titles that belonged to sections he’d already fully organized. Looking across the titles for once, he became easily amused by the selections within the manor. Sure there was always the sheer amount of academic research, but mixed into those were cheesy romance novels, half a dozen cookbooks specializing on how to appease various species based on diets, and a plethora of titles raving about conspiracy theories, old and new. He often pondered what caused the authors to write such things, but anything that wasn’t another edition of the same physics textbook was a sight for sore eyes. He had hardly noticed Malakhim had joined him and Rhen until he caught sight of the Imperial browsing the astronomy section. She paused before pulling a suitably large index on the regional constellations located in Nature, briefly skimming it before putting it back. Once she looked up again, she finally took notice of the librarian, “Oh, hi Zylen,” she greeted pleasantly, “Did you come to help me?” He took a moment to perch on one of her antlers, “Well, I was going to say hi and ask how the manor has been treating you so far, but I can certainly help. Wouldn’t be too good of a librarian if I couldn’t. What’s on your mind?” “Well, my work is on shared constellations between the various elemental territories,” she began, moving to one of the nearby large tables to rest, “I’ll focus on that in a few. I want to enjoy a conversation with you first. It’s been a while after all.” “Oh, of course,” surprised by the shift in topic, he took it positively. Moving to the tabletop, he took a moment to get situated, “So, how’s it been going? I’ve been in the observatory before. Thorne….” his fans lowered instinctually, “Actually forget about the why. Is it all you’ve ever wanted?” “It needs a little tidying up,” Khim gave a small smile, “But it’s everything I’ve dreamed of. Something old yet complex. Updated with the times but never losing the core design. Detailed star charts laying around. I’m excited to start making my own discoveries and improvements like those before me.” Her excitement was far more reserved than the others he’d been around. However, it didn’t take long for him to pick up that something was eating away at her thoughts. “That’s not what you wanted to talk to me about though, is it?” He got straight to the point, not wanting to detract from the Imperial’s day any longer than necessary. A long pause followed until the large dragon’s response, “Why do you insist Clancy’s the enemy?” Her voice remained the same pleasant calm she kept, but now tinged with sadness. A troubled expression crossing her face, she looked down at him for an answer. “And I mean besides the whole ‘she murdered Thorn’ explanation. There’s more than that, right?” “Well, of course,” he blurted out. Embarrassed, he did his best to explain himself, “You’ve probably heard all there is to know about her. She’s been aggressive and antagonistic towards your coworkers, and no one’s received worse than myself. And Mariela’s death only made that worse.” “That’s what I don’t understand about all of this.” Khim tugged at a part of her robe, “Isn’t that possibly her way of trying to grieve? Maybe she’s been lashing out, but she keeps going to you. Someone she used to trust but doesn’t return that trust any further. Someone who has also lost someone close to them. I know I don’t understand everything, but I find it hard to see you as in the right when you ignore the obvious like this.” “I…” Zylen suddenly realized he had no real retort to what the Imperial was suggesting. Sure Clancy knew that he could have saved her instead of doing what he did, but the Pearlcatcher was also the only person who would empathize with what it was like to lose control of yourself like this. He [i]had[/i] lost Meir, but his grief was far different than what Clancy went through. He remembered the cult of The Blameless as he sat in silence. Of all they did to him. That stripping of morality and individuality he had to reintroduce to himself or have others help him do. Recalling the teachings of not showing care towards others in your group as to not get attached. How bonds made you weak, and the only one that mattered was between you and the Blameless King. Over the years he’d learned how to define his various feelings, but he only understood what grief was after Meir’s passing, but even that felt almost…[i]incomplete[/i]. Then there was Clancy. She was normal, brought up like most dragons in Sornieth. She didn’t have to figure out what emotions were what. What caused them to appear and if the stimulus would be considered normal to those around him. While Mariela may have been the first personal grief the Pearlcatcher felt, she was almost certainly exposed to [i]others[/i] feeling it. She knew what it was. What it looked like to see another dealing with the loss of someone close to her. He took in a deep breath, remembering how her aggression was also partially due to her physical state. Sure there was whatever this ‘feeding’ thing the two of them did, but she was under the constant pressure and stress of her brace acting like some uncontrolled infection that needed to be removed before it passed the point of no return. Mariela helped keep her calm in telling her that she could make it another day. That it may take time, but Clancy would be okay in the end. It would cost her an arm, but she’d be alive and not threatened with death. And now that lifeline was gone. “You’re right,” for the second time that day, the Fae had conceded to arguments thrown his way. Taking in and exhaling another deep breath he continued, “But I don’t know if she’ll want to face me after our last encounter. And she may be genuinely angry and wanting to kill me at this point. What am I supposed to do about that?” “You give her a second chance,” Khim gently curled her claws around her much smaller coworker, her gaze equally as soft, “And if you’d like, I can be there for both of you.” -------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian So this is what happens when I want to write for Malakhim I guess. She's far too soft and I love her for that. Team was Corrina, Micah, and Elanor. Was [i]super[/i] worried until I realized I was going into Blooming Grove and not Forgotten Cave, as well as Corinna only being level 1. Had to keep reminding myself that Corrina is not in fact an Earth dragon but an Arcane one and that lead to some uncomfortably close calls. Micah also nearly got crit-killed by one of the dryads but held on by 4hp. Definitely did some panicking after that one. Will say that I do wish I could take Zylen on this task, but considering everything going on in the background with Clancy, and who is endangering her, it's better to send the other three. Also, Howl wasn't called along because he's still recovering from the previous mission that almost cost him his life. I'll try and get a post out a bit earlier than this tomorrow. I am excited as usual to write again, and after this workday, I think I may be able to regularly post on Saturdays again. Fingers crossed on that one.
Day 100
Hardshell

Zylen looked over the letter in his claws one more time, the words sinking in. Taking every ounce of willpower not to crumple the paper they were on then and there, he instead lowered it slowly, sliding it forward. Pausing to inhale sharply, he turned his attention back to Elanor, “Saile’s got to be joking right? There’s no way we’d rescue Clancy after what happened.”

“He can’t be,” she replied dryly, “I know he doesn’t hold any of us in the highest of regards, but he still does care.”

“And what are we supposed to do when we bring her back?” the Fae protested. His fans flared out, “We can’t let her loose knowing what she’s done.”

“That’s to figure out once we rescue her. We have no idea what danger she’s in to cause Saile to be concerned.”

“All the more reason not to do this!” Tensing up, he continued, “How does he know where she is? How does he know she’s in danger? Pushing aside those questions, think of what we’ve already done. Think about what danger means to us in our work. I do not want to run into another creepy cult seeking to sacrifice us to whatever god they’ve been fooled into believing in.”

“Well, regardless of your opinion, you’re not going.” Elanor huffed, “Saile assigned Tulu, Corinna, and Jeremiah for this.”

“Wait, why Corinna? She just got here and he’s already throwing her into this?” He rose from his seat with lowered fans, “She’s hasn’t even been here a week!”

“She can handle herself Zylen. Not everyone needs to be guided along easily for this, especially with the increasingly complex explanations the lot of us have to give everyone.” She picked up the letter, folding it neatly before placing it in her bag. “Now, I suggest you stop stressing about this. Everything will turn out fine.”

Watching the Tundra leave his office, he buried his head in his claws. This was a disaster. If Clancy was brought back alive and uninjured, the first thing she’d do would be to go after him. He was certain of this after taking Thorne’s corpse lying near his room as a threat. He only hoped the others would catch on as well, otherwise he may wind up losing more sleep than he already was.

Accepting defeat in convincing his coworkers to not go through with the task, he spent the remainder of his afternoon wandering the library. He finished a shelf before lazily going through loose, unsorted titles that belonged to sections he’d already fully organized. Looking across the titles for once, he became easily amused by the selections within the manor. Sure there was always the sheer amount of academic research, but mixed into those were cheesy romance novels, half a dozen cookbooks specializing on how to appease various species based on diets, and a plethora of titles raving about conspiracy theories, old and new. He often pondered what caused the authors to write such things, but anything that wasn’t another edition of the same physics textbook was a sight for sore eyes.

He had hardly noticed Malakhim had joined him and Rhen until he caught sight of the Imperial browsing the astronomy section. She paused before pulling a suitably large index on the regional constellations located in Nature, briefly skimming it before putting it back. Once she looked up again, she finally took notice of the librarian, “Oh, hi Zylen,” she greeted pleasantly, “Did you come to help me?”

He took a moment to perch on one of her antlers, “Well, I was going to say hi and ask how the manor has been treating you so far, but I can certainly help. Wouldn’t be too good of a librarian if I couldn’t. What’s on your mind?”

“Well, my work is on shared constellations between the various elemental territories,” she began, moving to one of the nearby large tables to rest, “I’ll focus on that in a few. I want to enjoy a conversation with you first. It’s been a while after all.”

“Oh, of course,” surprised by the shift in topic, he took it positively. Moving to the tabletop, he took a moment to get situated, “So, how’s it been going? I’ve been in the observatory before. Thorne….” his fans lowered instinctually, “Actually forget about the why. Is it all you’ve ever wanted?”

“It needs a little tidying up,” Khim gave a small smile, “But it’s everything I’ve dreamed of. Something old yet complex. Updated with the times but never losing the core design. Detailed star charts laying around. I’m excited to start making my own discoveries and improvements like those before me.” Her excitement was far more reserved than the others he’d been around. However, it didn’t take long for him to pick up that something was eating away at her thoughts.

“That’s not what you wanted to talk to me about though, is it?” He got straight to the point, not wanting to detract from the Imperial’s day any longer than necessary.

A long pause followed until the large dragon’s response, “Why do you insist Clancy’s the enemy?” Her voice remained the same pleasant calm she kept, but now tinged with sadness. A troubled expression crossing her face, she looked down at him for an answer. “And I mean besides the whole ‘she murdered Thorn’ explanation. There’s more than that, right?”

“Well, of course,” he blurted out. Embarrassed, he did his best to explain himself, “You’ve probably heard all there is to know about her. She’s been aggressive and antagonistic towards your coworkers, and no one’s received worse than myself. And Mariela’s death only made that worse.”

“That’s what I don’t understand about all of this.” Khim tugged at a part of her robe, “Isn’t that possibly her way of trying to grieve? Maybe she’s been lashing out, but she keeps going to you. Someone she used to trust but doesn’t return that trust any further. Someone who has also lost someone close to them. I know I don’t understand everything, but I find it hard to see you as in the right when you ignore the obvious like this.”

“I…” Zylen suddenly realized he had no real retort to what the Imperial was suggesting. Sure Clancy knew that he could have saved her instead of doing what he did, but the Pearlcatcher was also the only person who would empathize with what it was like to lose control of yourself like this. He had lost Meir, but his grief was far different than what Clancy went through.

He remembered the cult of The Blameless as he sat in silence. Of all they did to him. That stripping of morality and individuality he had to reintroduce to himself or have others help him do. Recalling the teachings of not showing care towards others in your group as to not get attached. How bonds made you weak, and the only one that mattered was between you and the Blameless King. Over the years he’d learned how to define his various feelings, but he only understood what grief was after Meir’s passing, but even that felt almost…incomplete.

Then there was Clancy. She was normal, brought up like most dragons in Sornieth. She didn’t have to figure out what emotions were what. What caused them to appear and if the stimulus would be considered normal to those around him. While Mariela may have been the first personal grief the Pearlcatcher felt, she was almost certainly exposed to others feeling it. She knew what it was. What it looked like to see another dealing with the loss of someone close to her.

He took in a deep breath, remembering how her aggression was also partially due to her physical state. Sure there was whatever this ‘feeding’ thing the two of them did, but she was under the constant pressure and stress of her brace acting like some uncontrolled infection that needed to be removed before it passed the point of no return. Mariela helped keep her calm in telling her that she could make it another day. That it may take time, but Clancy would be okay in the end. It would cost her an arm, but she’d be alive and not threatened with death.

And now that lifeline was gone.

“You’re right,” for the second time that day, the Fae had conceded to arguments thrown his way. Taking in and exhaling another deep breath he continued, “But I don’t know if she’ll want to face me after our last encounter. And she may be genuinely angry and wanting to kill me at this point. What am I supposed to do about that?”

“You give her a second chance,” Khim gently curled her claws around her much smaller coworker, her gaze equally as soft, “And if you’d like, I can be there for both of you.”

@Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian

So this is what happens when I want to write for Malakhim I guess. She's far too soft and I love her for that.

Team was Corrina, Micah, and Elanor. Was super worried until I realized I was going into Blooming Grove and not Forgotten Cave, as well as Corinna only being level 1. Had to keep reminding myself that Corrina is not in fact an Earth dragon but an Arcane one and that lead to some uncomfortably close calls. Micah also nearly got crit-killed by one of the dryads but held on by 4hp. Definitely did some panicking after that one.

Will say that I do wish I could take Zylen on this task, but considering everything going on in the background with Clancy, and who is endangering her, it's better to send the other three. Also, Howl wasn't called along because he's still recovering from the previous mission that almost cost him his life.

I'll try and get a post out a bit earlier than this tomorrow. I am excited as usual to write again, and after this workday, I think I may be able to regularly post on Saturdays again. Fingers crossed on that one.
[center][b]Day 101[/b] [item=Lucky Woodwing][/center] “Thanks for meeting me here.” Zylen shifted nervously on his stone perch, looking down at the Tundra who had joined him. Looking up at the dark overcast sky, it was difficult to dismiss the looming threat of rain. The Fae wondered if Jeremiah and the others were dealing with the same, or if they faced far calmer clear skies. “Anytime Zylen,” Howl’s return snapped him out of his thoughts, “It’s important right? Why you came here?” “Something like that,” his answer was as dreary as the sky above, fans drooping. “I’ve been thinking a lot about Clancy since we were tasked to bring her back. Talking to Khim yesterday has only made it more intrusive.” The guard shifted in the bench he was partially draped over, looking out briefly as if searching for something. “The murder?” he questioned, attention still on the lone entrance through the hedges. “It’s more complicated than that.” “Can you elaborate?” Clearly puzzled, Howl’s focus returned to his coworker. And so he did. He tried his best to explain what Clancy may have felt after Mariela’s death. The slow and painful explanation of what he had done when that occurred. The negligence on his behalf and what his actions had possibly done to their relationship. As he finished, he found himself looking skyward again, “So, what do you think?” “Well,” the Tundra joined him briefly in looking up at the sky, eventually switching to the decorative pools at the center of the area. “I think you did what you thought was right. And Clancy was doing what she thought was right. If you lose control, then she can too.” There was apparent worry in the Tundra’s and hesitation as he continued, “Perhaps in her loss of control she did what she thought you had. Killed someone you liked and presented them before you. Only it wasn’t exactly that. I don’t know. All that matters that if this is ‘wrong’ to you, you’ve recognized and are trying to fix it, right?” “I suppose so,” Zylen’s gaze still remained on the muddled grey of the sky above. “I’m also afraid there’s no way for me to fix it. That Clancy and I can never make amends. And after calling her out I may have ruined those conversations she may want with everyone else.” “Well, you’ve convinced me to try to talk again. Khim sounds more than eager to help.” He let out a sudden chuckle, causing Zylen to drop focus onto the furred dragon, “And Elanor’s been against it from the start. I’m sure everyone else will understand.” “It’s [i]easy[/i] to convince you though.” The Fae sighed, “I know you want what’s best for us so you can focus on outside threats and not your coworkers. It’s what you want out of your job. Not having to worry about Clancy means you can worry about dragons like the Bogsneak in the graveyard or the pest in the mansion.” There was sudden pain in the Tundra’s eyes as he turned to face the librarian, “Is that it?” Offended and hurt, he continued, “Is that all you see in me? That I care more about my job than those around me?” “Howl, no that’s…” He was sharply cut off, “No, I think I see now. All I am to you is another warrior here to fight for whatever side has signed me on. Nothing more than some soldier to fight your battles.” Howl’s fur bristled on end as he stood from his spot. “Would you listen for one second?” Zylen raised to challenge the Tundra. “I know you care about us dammit! I see it in your eyes any time I address you or see you walk into somewhere and see me. You having to worry means that you can’t do your job effectively because zoning in on us means you can’t look around elsewhere for trouble. A [i]soldier[/i] wouldn’t do that. You’re not Tulu, alright?” Calming slightly, Howl moved his frustration elsewhere, “And what’s wrong with Tulu?” “Look, he’s the best comparison I have okay?” He retorted. “He’s clearly been trained differently, and he hardly interacts with the rest of us because he’s been assigned the night shift. Maybe if I saw him more I’d have a more elaborate breakdown for you, but he’s far more detached to everyone. Unlike [i]you[/i].” “You know, I don’t think you understand how I feel.” Sitting back down, the Tundra’s face reflected some sort of newfound clarity. “What?” The comment blindsided Zylen. He’d been reading Howl just fine, even now. What did he mean by that? “You look at us and see what we’re feeling, but you never bother with the why behind it. You use logic and hope that ‘solves’ the problem.” “I believe you mean empathy,” Zylen huffed, “And you’re right, I don’t. Been noticing that a lot lately.” “That means you’ve been mixing up love and care.” Suddenly flushed, the Tundra backpedaled, “Nevermind that. Forget I ever said a thing.” “What does that have to do with….oh,” it suddenly struck him [i]why[/i] Howl always appeared to give him extra attention. He chalked up the behavior to knowing him more than the others and having been around since he joined the rest of them in the manor. “I said forget about it!” The Tundra began to head towards the clearing exit, clearly embarrassed. “Don’t feel like you have to do the same for me to make it better.” And like that, the guard was gone, left to traverse the maze. Zylen didn’t follow, still a bit shocked by the revelation. How long had Howl held those feelings for him? Why didn’t he admit them sooner? Was it his fault as to why? Confused, he looked into the water again, well aware his lack of empathy was to blame no matter what. Alone again, he looked into the water once more. Perhaps it was time for another visit to the lake. He may spend the rest of the afternoon there, but he’d at least be able to think straight. Something he needed after the past few days. And something he’d need to do once he talked to Clancy again. ------------ @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Did my best to try and write what I intended to for today. I've had a pressure headache for most of today that killed my inspiration and motivation, but I fought through it. As for important stuff to glean from today: Rhen is immune to trinkets tomorrow, Zylen realized Howl has had feelings for who knows how long, and Zylen has poor empathy skills cause empathy isn't exactly something cults excel in. I have realized a couple other things, but that's certainly a problem for tomorrow. Sorry commentary is a little blegh cause I myself am feeling that way still, but I did only realize today that this has been around for over a year now! I know I've been absent for over 2/3rds of that due to irl stuff, but here's to what will hopefully be a far more productive year with far less stress involved. [s]I say this like this year didn't start with a massive irl stressor but shhhhhh[/s]
Day 101
Lucky Woodwing

“Thanks for meeting me here.” Zylen shifted nervously on his stone perch, looking down at the Tundra who had joined him. Looking up at the dark overcast sky, it was difficult to dismiss the looming threat of rain. The Fae wondered if Jeremiah and the others were dealing with the same, or if they faced far calmer clear skies.

“Anytime Zylen,” Howl’s return snapped him out of his thoughts, “It’s important right? Why you came here?”

“Something like that,” his answer was as dreary as the sky above, fans drooping. “I’ve been thinking a lot about Clancy since we were tasked to bring her back. Talking to Khim yesterday has only made it more intrusive.”

The guard shifted in the bench he was partially draped over, looking out briefly as if searching for something. “The murder?” he questioned, attention still on the lone entrance through the hedges.

“It’s more complicated than that.”

“Can you elaborate?” Clearly puzzled, Howl’s focus returned to his coworker.

And so he did. He tried his best to explain what Clancy may have felt after Mariela’s death. The slow and painful explanation of what he had done when that occurred. The negligence on his behalf and what his actions had possibly done to their relationship. As he finished, he found himself looking skyward again, “So, what do you think?”

“Well,” the Tundra joined him briefly in looking up at the sky, eventually switching to the decorative pools at the center of the area. “I think you did what you thought was right. And Clancy was doing what she thought was right. If you lose control, then she can too.” There was apparent worry in the Tundra’s and hesitation as he continued, “Perhaps in her loss of control she did what she thought you had. Killed someone you liked and presented them before you. Only it wasn’t exactly that. I don’t know. All that matters that if this is ‘wrong’ to you, you’ve recognized and are trying to fix it, right?”

“I suppose so,” Zylen’s gaze still remained on the muddled grey of the sky above. “I’m also afraid there’s no way for me to fix it. That Clancy and I can never make amends. And after calling her out I may have ruined those conversations she may want with everyone else.”

“Well, you’ve convinced me to try to talk again. Khim sounds more than eager to help.” He let out a sudden chuckle, causing Zylen to drop focus onto the furred dragon, “And Elanor’s been against it from the start. I’m sure everyone else will understand.”

“It’s easy to convince you though.” The Fae sighed, “I know you want what’s best for us so you can focus on outside threats and not your coworkers. It’s what you want out of your job. Not having to worry about Clancy means you can worry about dragons like the Bogsneak in the graveyard or the pest in the mansion.”

There was sudden pain in the Tundra’s eyes as he turned to face the librarian, “Is that it?” Offended and hurt, he continued, “Is that all you see in me? That I care more about my job than those around me?”

“Howl, no that’s…”

He was sharply cut off, “No, I think I see now. All I am to you is another warrior here to fight for whatever side has signed me on. Nothing more than some soldier to fight your battles.” Howl’s fur bristled on end as he stood from his spot.

“Would you listen for one second?” Zylen raised to challenge the Tundra. “I know you care about us dammit! I see it in your eyes any time I address you or see you walk into somewhere and see me. You having to worry means that you can’t do your job effectively because zoning in on us means you can’t look around elsewhere for trouble. A soldier wouldn’t do that. You’re not Tulu, alright?”

Calming slightly, Howl moved his frustration elsewhere, “And what’s wrong with Tulu?”

“Look, he’s the best comparison I have okay?” He retorted. “He’s clearly been trained differently, and he hardly interacts with the rest of us because he’s been assigned the night shift. Maybe if I saw him more I’d have a more elaborate breakdown for you, but he’s far more detached to everyone. Unlike you.”

“You know, I don’t think you understand how I feel.” Sitting back down, the Tundra’s face reflected some sort of newfound clarity.

“What?” The comment blindsided Zylen. He’d been reading Howl just fine, even now. What did he mean by that?

“You look at us and see what we’re feeling, but you never bother with the why behind it. You use logic and hope that ‘solves’ the problem.”

“I believe you mean empathy,” Zylen huffed, “And you’re right, I don’t. Been noticing that a lot lately.”

“That means you’ve been mixing up love and care.” Suddenly flushed, the Tundra backpedaled, “Nevermind that. Forget I ever said a thing.”

“What does that have to do with….oh,” it suddenly struck him why Howl always appeared to give him extra attention. He chalked up the behavior to knowing him more than the others and having been around since he joined the rest of them in the manor.

“I said forget about it!” The Tundra began to head towards the clearing exit, clearly embarrassed. “Don’t feel like you have to do the same for me to make it better.” And like that, the guard was gone, left to traverse the maze.

Zylen didn’t follow, still a bit shocked by the revelation. How long had Howl held those feelings for him? Why didn’t he admit them sooner? Was it his fault as to why? Confused, he looked into the water again, well aware his lack of empathy was to blame no matter what.

Alone again, he looked into the water once more. Perhaps it was time for another visit to the lake. He may spend the rest of the afternoon there, but he’d at least be able to think straight. Something he needed after the past few days. And something he’d need to do once he talked to Clancy again.

Did my best to try and write what I intended to for today. I've had a pressure headache for most of today that killed my inspiration and motivation, but I fought through it.

As for important stuff to glean from today: Rhen is immune to trinkets tomorrow, Zylen realized Howl has had feelings for who knows how long, and Zylen has poor empathy skills cause empathy isn't exactly something cults excel in. I have realized a couple other things, but that's certainly a problem for tomorrow.

Sorry commentary is a little blegh cause I myself am feeling that way still, but I did only realize today that this has been around for over a year now! I know I've been absent for over 2/3rds of that due to irl stuff, but here's to what will hopefully be a far more productive year with far less stress involved. I say this like this year didn't start with a massive irl stressor but shhhhhh
[center][b]Day 102[/b] [item=Wolpertinger Hoodie] [b]Content Warnings: Falling, Insignificance, Megalophobia, Eyes, Being Watched, Feelings of Failure[/b][/center] Tulu was falling. He knew how he got there. The encounter with a Skydancer that impeded his and the other’s progress. He knew something was off the moment he set eyes on her. Jeremiah uttered something under his breath when they first spotted her, but not loud enough for him to make it out. What he could hear was that everyone should be prepared for a fight. But no such thing happened. There was a sharp exchange of words that revealed the Skydancer was named Rachael. About how she was holding Clancy hostage. That his coworker would prove a good bargaining piece with someone she referred to as the Keeper of Rust. The entire time he wondered why the others bothered with talking when she was outnumbered and almost certainly outmatched. Her flying trick and tone had to be a bluff. Then he made eye contact. There was something about her pale green eyes that he couldn’t quite place. If not for her age, he’d considered them belonging to someone far more experienced than she could possibly be. As they locked gazes, she fell silent, first tinged with anger, her scowl turned into an almost manic grin. Without a second thought, she raised a claw. And now he was here. An endless space of mottled grey flooded his vision. Undoubtedly clouds as the water within quickly covered him. Drenched, he tumbled, unable to tell up from down as he desperately searched for the ground he was hurtling towards. Still, there was only ever more and more clouds. At some point he realized he couldn’t see the sun, and as if the place could read his thoughts, he fell into a storm. Now pounded with rain, hail, and heavy gales, he focused on the arcs of lighting as he hoped to not be struck. He no longer worried about the ground or what the hell this place was. He worried what may happen to him within it and if he was doomed to die within it. He had to find a way out. To not panic and regain control. Feel for an updraft or calm spot and take back the air. Recover from this vertigo and…. He wasn’t alone. That movement from within the clouds. It was too far to be any normal dragon. The glimpse of a wing or claw or something from within. There was no way his nightmares were real. Waking after a nightly stroll under a blinking moon was different from being tossed skyward while wide awake. A gargantuan beast unlike any had ever seen couldn’t exist while the gods walked Sornieth, administering punishment to such threats. But here as he fell through this endless tempest he could begin piecing it together. But no matter how he imagined such an immense creature, he was the only one there to fight it. To challenge it in a domain it was all too comfortable in. Tulu was the one not welcome here. The lone knight that foolishly believed he could take on an impossible task. Walking into the maws of death confidently without a clue as to his inevitable fate. He was nothing to this monster. And it terrified him. He could feel his body lock up under the realization of how useless it was to confront such a beast. The feeling that at any point he’d be swallowed whole. And if not the beast itself, the storm would, tearing his body limb from limb as the winds pummeled his pathetically fragile body. He wanted to beg and plea for mercy, but the words were caught in his throat. Such things cared not for his petty words. Swallowing his mounting fear, Tulu found the energy to hold onto his sword, still sheathed safely since the fall, unlike his shield. He may have no chance against the foe, but he didn’t become a warrior to die a coward’s death. He hadn’t lost his family name and honor to keep it that way. He knew he couldn’t slay the beast before him, but he’d make sure it’d remember him. He was not going to die as some inconsequential spattering of a snack. Readying his sword and finally catching that break he needed, he found his wings finally able to find the strength and angle to fly. He couldn’t hold it long, but it was just enough to locate the insurmountable foe before him. Heart pounding hard and fast with fear that wanted him to do anything but what he had planned, he steadied himself for what had to be the final time. Sword in his claws, he took the plunge. ------------ “Zylen come on! They’re back!” The Fae could hear the Imperial’s urgent call from within his office. Dropping everything at once without a care for losing whatever spots he was at, he bolted outside into the library and soon the mansion’s halls. He caught a glimpse of the astronomer as he turned the corner to head towards the portal room, and not long after, he spotted Apollyon at the top of the stairs, the Spiral practically running on the walls as he made his own approach. Unsure what to expect other than a potential fight, Zylen was relieved upon seeing the group in its entirety when he squeezed his way into the now-crowded room. However, while everyone was present, it wasn’t difficult to make out Corinna carrying an unconscious Clancy, while Khim took to scooping up a now-collapsed Tulu. The Guardian and Jeremiah appeared shaken but otherwise alright, breaths heavy as if they had sprinted directly back the instant they had recovered the Pearlcatcher. “Jeremiah, is everything alright?” He called, drifting somewhat closer to his coworker. Upon closer inspection, he could see no physical wounds on any of them, making him wonder what had happened even more. He shook his head, motioning towards the hall, “I need to talk with you and Elanor about this. It’s not good.” Eyes shifting to a sudden glare, his tone was far more serious afterwards, “No more questions until we’re alone. Bring Micah if you’d like as well, but he’ll hear this soon enough.” It didn’t take much for the Banescale to push his way out into the hall as everyone else dealt with the currently injured members. Rounding another hall and down a flight of stairs into the basement, the Fae wasn’t too surprised to see the archivist already waiting. She’d even found time to prepare tea, although it quickly became clear the liquid had been given to her some time ago as he found it only a little warm. “I thought you’d come to me first Jerry. Come, take a seat.” “Elanor, could you [i]please[/i] respect my name for once?” Jeremiah responded coldly, “You don’t see me calling you Ms. Sykion left and right.” The Tundra let out a sigh, “I merely wanted to break some of the potential panic. Now, tell me what wonderful sights Saile’s mission provided you with this time.” “It’s Rachael.” Zylen’s fans rose at the mention of the Skydancer, “She’s the one who captured Clancy. I thought it was to mess with us. Get us to give her something.” “Let me guess,” Zylen interrupted, “Something along the lines of, ‘You’re thinking too small. It’s not always about you.’ type of retort?” The Ancient nodded, “Exactly. She said something about how Clancy would be a wonderful bargaining chip with some ‘Keeper of Rust’ figure. After I heard the name, I knew if I made it out alive I needed to tell you two and Micah. You guys found some of Darryn’s notes, right? Any mention of someone by that title?” “We can look through later,” Elanor answered, eyes narrowing some, “There’s more that happened isn’t there? Why’d you think you weren’t going to make it out alive?” “Well,” Jeremiah’s eyes grew wide with fear, “Something about her was immediately off when we came across her. The same field effect that Zylen’s told us about before where we felt as though we were walking forever. When we did stumble across her, she was using her magic to make Clancy fall. But Clancy wasn’t falling physically. Her mane and wings and everything suggested it, but she remained suspended next to Rachael the entire time.” “The instant Corinna had enough with talking and lunged, we all became subjected to the same thing. Or so I thought at first. That sinking feeling in your stomach of a freefall coupled with the inability to right yourself with your wings is beyond terrifying. Morso for one such as myself. But as I tried to get some grip on reality by looking around, I saw Tulu was entirely unconscious before he disappeared. I can’t explain it. One moment he was limply held in the air and the next he was gone with no sign of what took him.” “By Flamecaller’s pride I will make sure Rachel pays for the look she dared to give me and Corinna as she finally dropped us.” No longer scared, the Banescale was now seething with rage, “I don’t remember much after cause we both lost consciousness. When we recovered, all I saw was Tulu standing in front of Clancy, sword still drawn but Rachael nowhere to be seen. He collapsed as soon as he noticed we were awake again. We fled immediately afterwards until you met us here.” His breath was a bit shaky as he finished, “I have no doubt in my mind that she could have killed all three of us. But she didn’t and I don’t understand why. Tulu might have had something to do with it, but that’s the least of my worries.” “And what, pray tell, could be worse than what you’ve experienced?” Elanor challenged, unamused. “It’s his eyes,” Jeremiah looked back at the Tundra briefly before turning and staring directly at Zylen, “I can see it in his eyes Zylen.” ----------- Malakhim was in a nightmare. It wasn’t hard to tell between the feeling of something unbelievably wrong and the many, many eyes watching her from every surface. Some were stylized, on the covers of books, lining the carpets, or reflected in the decorative pottery. Others were far more physical, as is opening from the furniture and walls they peered from. They were countless in number, and always looking directly at her and nothing else. She never liked nightmares. Toying with her emotions regardless of if she truly feared what occurred within. Should she be awake in such a situation, she’d certainly be unnerved, but not scared. The eyes could do nothing besides look at her. Yet she roamed the unfamiliar halls in mounting fear with unblinking eyes watching her every step. Their numbers guided her as she didn’t dare step onto them, leading her to somewhere she was unaware of until she reached its doors. She stared at the double doors with held breath as the lone eye on each stared her down. She knew this place now. The dread that filled her was very much real. No longer a fabrication of her mind for the purpose of a short-lived scare. There was a lone podium at the center of the auditorium she walked into. A bit small for her, but as she looked upon it, she found herself poorly prepared. She expected notes or a hint of what she was there to present, but there was nothing. No papers to read from. No sign of what she was presenting. No papers on her person. For something she knew had to be important, possibly career defining, she had [i]nothing[/i]. She looked up into the seats above, where her audience would be waiting in silence. Judging her every word. Only instead of dragons there were eyes. There were so many eyes. And they [i]knew[/i] what she had done. --------------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian SO GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? It's called Henry forgot she just sent a dragon touched twice by the Vast out on a mission I had planned from the start to include Rachael due to dice rolls. And my coin flip decided that Tulu [i]wouldn't[/i] die so I guess we've got another Avatar on our hands. Still trying to work this out because Tulu does [i]not[/i] play that well with the Vast, but I think I've got something planned out at this point. Outside of that, finally had an Apparel roll do what it's supposed to in that today was a Trinket so Rhen was protected. Malakhim was the dragon rolled regardless, but it's about time. She's been marked by the Eye based on rolls. I am actually really happy to have another Avatar cause oh man this is gonna be fun to develop. Gotta deal with Clancy as well so hopefully my next few pulls aren't [i]too[/i] eventful. [s]Man gotta love this list of CWs this time. There be a lot cause whoops, two fear sequences to write.[/s]
Day 102
Wolpertinger Hoodie
Content Warnings: Falling, Insignificance, Megalophobia, Eyes, Being Watched, Feelings of Failure

Tulu was falling.

He knew how he got there. The encounter with a Skydancer that impeded his and the other’s progress. He knew something was off the moment he set eyes on her. Jeremiah uttered something under his breath when they first spotted her, but not loud enough for him to make it out. What he could hear was that everyone should be prepared for a fight.

But no such thing happened. There was a sharp exchange of words that revealed the Skydancer was named Rachael. About how she was holding Clancy hostage. That his coworker would prove a good bargaining piece with someone she referred to as the Keeper of Rust. The entire time he wondered why the others bothered with talking when she was outnumbered and almost certainly outmatched. Her flying trick and tone had to be a bluff.

Then he made eye contact. There was something about her pale green eyes that he couldn’t quite place. If not for her age, he’d considered them belonging to someone far more experienced than she could possibly be. As they locked gazes, she fell silent, first tinged with anger, her scowl turned into an almost manic grin. Without a second thought, she raised a claw.

And now he was here.

An endless space of mottled grey flooded his vision. Undoubtedly clouds as the water within quickly covered him. Drenched, he tumbled, unable to tell up from down as he desperately searched for the ground he was hurtling towards. Still, there was only ever more and more clouds. At some point he realized he couldn’t see the sun, and as if the place could read his thoughts, he fell into a storm.

Now pounded with rain, hail, and heavy gales, he focused on the arcs of lighting as he hoped to not be struck. He no longer worried about the ground or what the hell this place was. He worried what may happen to him within it and if he was doomed to die within it. He had to find a way out. To not panic and regain control. Feel for an updraft or calm spot and take back the air. Recover from this vertigo and….

He wasn’t alone.

That movement from within the clouds. It was too far to be any normal dragon. The glimpse of a wing or claw or something from within. There was no way his nightmares were real. Waking after a nightly stroll under a blinking moon was different from being tossed skyward while wide awake. A gargantuan beast unlike any had ever seen couldn’t exist while the gods walked Sornieth, administering punishment to such threats. But here as he fell through this endless tempest he could begin piecing it together.

But no matter how he imagined such an immense creature, he was the only one there to fight it. To challenge it in a domain it was all too comfortable in. Tulu was the one not welcome here. The lone knight that foolishly believed he could take on an impossible task. Walking into the maws of death confidently without a clue as to his inevitable fate. He was nothing to this monster.

And it terrified him.

He could feel his body lock up under the realization of how useless it was to confront such a beast. The feeling that at any point he’d be swallowed whole. And if not the beast itself, the storm would, tearing his body limb from limb as the winds pummeled his pathetically fragile body. He wanted to beg and plea for mercy, but the words were caught in his throat. Such things cared not for his petty words.

Swallowing his mounting fear, Tulu found the energy to hold onto his sword, still sheathed safely since the fall, unlike his shield. He may have no chance against the foe, but he didn’t become a warrior to die a coward’s death. He hadn’t lost his family name and honor to keep it that way. He knew he couldn’t slay the beast before him, but he’d make sure it’d remember him. He was not going to die as some inconsequential spattering of a snack.

Readying his sword and finally catching that break he needed, he found his wings finally able to find the strength and angle to fly. He couldn’t hold it long, but it was just enough to locate the insurmountable foe before him. Heart pounding hard and fast with fear that wanted him to do anything but what he had planned, he steadied himself for what had to be the final time.

Sword in his claws, he took the plunge.

“Zylen come on! They’re back!”

The Fae could hear the Imperial’s urgent call from within his office. Dropping everything at once without a care for losing whatever spots he was at, he bolted outside into the library and soon the mansion’s halls. He caught a glimpse of the astronomer as he turned the corner to head towards the portal room, and not long after, he spotted Apollyon at the top of the stairs, the Spiral practically running on the walls as he made his own approach.

Unsure what to expect other than a potential fight, Zylen was relieved upon seeing the group in its entirety when he squeezed his way into the now-crowded room. However, while everyone was present, it wasn’t difficult to make out Corinna carrying an unconscious Clancy, while Khim took to scooping up a now-collapsed Tulu. The Guardian and Jeremiah appeared shaken but otherwise alright, breaths heavy as if they had sprinted directly back the instant they had recovered the Pearlcatcher.

“Jeremiah, is everything alright?” He called, drifting somewhat closer to his coworker. Upon closer inspection, he could see no physical wounds on any of them, making him wonder what had happened even more.

He shook his head, motioning towards the hall, “I need to talk with you and Elanor about this. It’s not good.” Eyes shifting to a sudden glare, his tone was far more serious afterwards, “No more questions until we’re alone. Bring Micah if you’d like as well, but he’ll hear this soon enough.”

It didn’t take much for the Banescale to push his way out into the hall as everyone else dealt with the currently injured members. Rounding another hall and down a flight of stairs into the basement, the Fae wasn’t too surprised to see the archivist already waiting. She’d even found time to prepare tea, although it quickly became clear the liquid had been given to her some time ago as he found it only a little warm.

“I thought you’d come to me first Jerry. Come, take a seat.”

“Elanor, could you please respect my name for once?” Jeremiah responded coldly, “You don’t see me calling you Ms. Sykion left and right.”

The Tundra let out a sigh, “I merely wanted to break some of the potential panic. Now, tell me what wonderful sights Saile’s mission provided you with this time.”

“It’s Rachael.” Zylen’s fans rose at the mention of the Skydancer, “She’s the one who captured Clancy. I thought it was to mess with us. Get us to give her something.”

“Let me guess,” Zylen interrupted, “Something along the lines of, ‘You’re thinking too small. It’s not always about you.’ type of retort?”

The Ancient nodded, “Exactly. She said something about how Clancy would be a wonderful bargaining chip with some ‘Keeper of Rust’ figure. After I heard the name, I knew if I made it out alive I needed to tell you two and Micah. You guys found some of Darryn’s notes, right? Any mention of someone by that title?”

“We can look through later,” Elanor answered, eyes narrowing some, “There’s more that happened isn’t there? Why’d you think you weren’t going to make it out alive?”

“Well,” Jeremiah’s eyes grew wide with fear, “Something about her was immediately off when we came across her. The same field effect that Zylen’s told us about before where we felt as though we were walking forever. When we did stumble across her, she was using her magic to make Clancy fall. But Clancy wasn’t falling physically. Her mane and wings and everything suggested it, but she remained suspended next to Rachael the entire time.”

“The instant Corinna had enough with talking and lunged, we all became subjected to the same thing. Or so I thought at first. That sinking feeling in your stomach of a freefall coupled with the inability to right yourself with your wings is beyond terrifying. Morso for one such as myself. But as I tried to get some grip on reality by looking around, I saw Tulu was entirely unconscious before he disappeared. I can’t explain it. One moment he was limply held in the air and the next he was gone with no sign of what took him.”

“By Flamecaller’s pride I will make sure Rachel pays for the look she dared to give me and Corinna as she finally dropped us.” No longer scared, the Banescale was now seething with rage, “I don’t remember much after cause we both lost consciousness. When we recovered, all I saw was Tulu standing in front of Clancy, sword still drawn but Rachael nowhere to be seen. He collapsed as soon as he noticed we were awake again. We fled immediately afterwards until you met us here.”

His breath was a bit shaky as he finished, “I have no doubt in my mind that she could have killed all three of us. But she didn’t and I don’t understand why. Tulu might have had something to do with it, but that’s the least of my worries.”

“And what, pray tell, could be worse than what you’ve experienced?” Elanor challenged, unamused.

“It’s his eyes,” Jeremiah looked back at the Tundra briefly before turning and staring directly at Zylen, “I can see it in his eyes Zylen.”

Malakhim was in a nightmare.

It wasn’t hard to tell between the feeling of something unbelievably wrong and the many, many eyes watching her from every surface. Some were stylized, on the covers of books, lining the carpets, or reflected in the decorative pottery. Others were far more physical, as is opening from the furniture and walls they peered from. They were countless in number, and always looking directly at her and nothing else.

She never liked nightmares. Toying with her emotions regardless of if she truly feared what occurred within. Should she be awake in such a situation, she’d certainly be unnerved, but not scared. The eyes could do nothing besides look at her.

Yet she roamed the unfamiliar halls in mounting fear with unblinking eyes watching her every step. Their numbers guided her as she didn’t dare step onto them, leading her to somewhere she was unaware of until she reached its doors. She stared at the double doors with held breath as the lone eye on each stared her down. She knew this place now. The dread that filled her was very much real. No longer a fabrication of her mind for the purpose of a short-lived scare.

There was a lone podium at the center of the auditorium she walked into. A bit small for her, but as she looked upon it, she found herself poorly prepared. She expected notes or a hint of what she was there to present, but there was nothing. No papers to read from. No sign of what she was presenting. No papers on her person. For something she knew had to be important, possibly career defining, she had nothing. She looked up into the seats above, where her audience would be waiting in silence. Judging her every word.

Only instead of dragons there were eyes.

There were so many eyes.

And they knew what she had done.

SO GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

It's called Henry forgot she just sent a dragon touched twice by the Vast out on a mission I had planned from the start to include Rachael due to dice rolls. And my coin flip decided that Tulu wouldn't die so I guess we've got another Avatar on our hands. Still trying to work this out because Tulu does not play that well with the Vast, but I think I've got something planned out at this point.

Outside of that, finally had an Apparel roll do what it's supposed to in that today was a Trinket so Rhen was protected. Malakhim was the dragon rolled regardless, but it's about time. She's been marked by the Eye based on rolls.

I am actually really happy to have another Avatar cause oh man this is gonna be fun to develop. Gotta deal with Clancy as well so hopefully my next few pulls aren't too eventful.

Man gotta love this list of CWs this time. There be a lot cause whoops, two fear sequences to write.
[center][b]Day 103[/b] [item=Arctic Hippalectryon][/center] There was an unnatural stillness as Zylen approached the infirmary. Clancy was in there of course, but so was Tulu. The former may be the reason behind his visit, but after Jeremiah’s near freak out from yesterday, he held his own worries about Tulu. The Wildclaw was almost certainly under the influence of something similar to what the Fae was going through. Or at the very least, cursed by Rachael. The Wildclaw was not the subject of his visit though. After Khim had found out Clancy had regained consciousness, she made it a personal goal to tell him first. Giving no time for him to say no, the Imperial whisked off to meet him for the ‘reunion’. Now, after a lot of contemplation that got him nowhere on his slow trudge to join the two of them, he stood entirely unprepared. Hopefully his coworkers would serve to guide him through the conversation’s undoubtable rocky start. Khim’s smooth voice filled the air as he entered, keeping her conversation partner occupied and unaware of the Fae’s arrival. A curtained off section hid its Wildclaw occupant from view, but it wasn’t hard to make out the quiet clamour of the nurses attending to him within. Drifting into view of where his coworkers lay chatting, he found the Imperial lounging on a small pile of large pillows as she wrapped herself around the bed. Clancy sat with a saddened frown, slowly moving her claw up and down what looked like a now fully metallic arm in place of what was once a brace. While clear she was listening to her companion, she didn’t care all that much. A conversation to pass time over anything substantial. As she shifted attention over to the sudden new guest, she let out an exasperated huff. “Zylen!” Khim greeted cheerfully, ignoring the Pearlcatcher’s glare, “Glad you could join us! Please, take a seat where you please. Or, if you’d prefer, feel free to use my antlers. I don’t mind.” “What.” Clancy spoke through bared teeth, “Is [i]he[/i] doing here?” The Fae lowered his fans as he moved to get positioned on the Imperial’s head. He did his best to perk up some for the much larger dragon, “I’m here to visit,” he began, pushing down the growing weight in his chest, “And to say I’m sorry.” There was an immediate snap, “Oh, like sorry will cut it Zylen!” She winced as she agitated some sort of wound, staring daggers into the Fae. “After [i]everything[/i] you’ve done you think you can say sorry and expect the past to be behind me? That we can move on like [i]nothing[/i] happened?” “It’s better than living in fear that you’ll kill me!” He flared his main fans out, smaller ones fluttering with his rage, “Be glad you weren’t locked in some room to be watched over after what [i]you[/i] did to Thorn.” “You know [i]exactly[/i] why I did that,” she spat. “You’re right, I do. Because it’s [i]exactly what I did to Mariela[/i]. Now would you listen for two seconds?” “Alright,” still unamused, he at least had her full attention now, “But you better make it good.” Condensing his thoughts over the past few days while under the pressure of his former friend was difficult. Between a sudden focus on his lack of empathy, trying to see things from a point of view that [i]wasn’t[/i] his, and the ever present fear that he’d never get to have such a conversation, he was surprised he remained as put together as he was in the moment. Perhaps Khim’s presence had helped calm him some. Make him feel safe. “First, I know I can read expressions, but that doesn’t mean I [i]know[/i] a person. I’ve come to realize that more than anything else after you left. Piecing together everything I failed to notice has been incredibly difficult. Talking with the others has helped, but I know there’s nothing I can do to mend our relationship. This is an apology, but I’m not asking for forgiveness. Take it as you will.” Shifting uncomfortably from his perch, he watched with worry as his words sunk in. Of course there was plain disbelief plastered in how Clancy held herself, but she was thinking over what he’d said now. While her frown remained as she spoke, he saw some tension leave her body, “Alright Zylen, I accept. But,” her eyes grew cold, “I want nothing from you unless I ask or come looking, got it? You didn’t help when I needed it most, so don’t you dare expect me to give you that courtesy.” “And when we lose control?” He lowered his fans as he caught the Pearlcatcher baring her teeth in a snarl, “Clancy you know it’ll happen eventually. I can’t promise I’ll have enough care for what happens here when that does.” “There are always exceptions, but you better find a way to work around them.” Scoffing, she focused on herself, “I’ll be sure to do the same, but you show some [i]respect[/i] this time, understood?” He remained silent for a moment, “I understand.” Hearing enough, he reentered the air, floating back down towards the floor, “I’ll leave you two alone before I can cause anymore damage.” Wandering, the Fae wasn’t sure if there was any direction to where he was going until he found himself outside. Recognizing the pull towards the lake, he followed it, not in any mindset to be productive with the rest of his afternoon. It didn’t take long to locate the boating house and the nearby dock, devoid of any vessels for who knew how long. As usual, he took a spot at the edge, peering solemnly into his reflection in the water. Sometimes he’d float adrift near the shore, but this was how he spent a majority of his visits. Staring at an empty version of himself while he thought over whatever troubled him. Or nothing at all if he wanted to listen to the gentle sounds of nature around him. The quiet lapping of the water along the shore, the distant birdsong, the rustling of grass. All to attempt to clear his mind if he no longer wanted to think. Only his muddied thoughts were interrupted by splashing as another waded into the lake. Turning his attention towards the noise, he spoke before he saw the source, “What are you doing out here?” “Well,” an unfamiliar voice answered back, “I’ve come to hopefully spot some of the aquatic residents calling this place home.” [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/75370064][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/938297077866315786/Fishing_for_Friends.png[/img][/url] Spotting the Nocturne before him sporting a set of quite worn clothing, he’d wondered how he managed to miss another newcomer. Ignoring his staring, she instead looked to the water, interest peaking when she spotted and pulled out a crayfish, admiring some of its spots before lowering it back down. “Have you entered the mansion yet? Gotten your room and whatnot?” “Of course!” she answered cheerfully, bowing her head in greeting, “Ardolen Iabla. All my friends call me Ardie, but choose what you will. I won’t be bothered either way.” She looked over at the boating house, “My office is in a separate building along the lake. Staff informed me the keys were in there. I’m in no rush, so I took advantage of an opportunity.” “What, are you some sort of marine biologist or something?” Zylen inquired. “Wouldn’t the Thousand Currents or shoreline territories be better for your work?” “First,” she retorted curtly, “I’m an aquarist. I more care for fish than study them. Prevent diseases and their spread and whatnot. Second, I prefer the prevalence of bioluminescent fish that populate the Tangled Woods lakes, rivers, and swamps. I may not study in the traditional sense, but I’m curious if illness affects said bioluminosity.” “Well, you’ve come to the right place. Plenty of decorative ponds, a couple small aquariums, a game pond, and this large isolated lake should keep you occupied.” He let out a sigh, heading in the direction of the mansion, “I’ll leave you alone to your fish. See you again at dinner?” Ardolen nodded, “May I at least get a name before you go?” He huffed, “It’s Zylen. And frankly, names are the least of your worries here.” --------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian Sorry if this is blegh. I had very little motivation to write despite having all the ideas there. But hey, Clancy's back and we got a new member! Ardolen is a lovely lass I probably won't get to show off too much because she'll be joining Tulu on the night crew. If anyone wonders about Malakhim being there instead of dayside like everyone else, she has one of those schedules where she sleeps almost immediately after her work is done. So she's far more present than Tulu is. I'll be adding Ardolen to the cast list sometime after this post. Probably will be a day or two until she gets a bio proper though. Quick Edit: Oops, forgot italics.
Day 103
Arctic Hippalectryon

There was an unnatural stillness as Zylen approached the infirmary. Clancy was in there of course, but so was Tulu. The former may be the reason behind his visit, but after Jeremiah’s near freak out from yesterday, he held his own worries about Tulu. The Wildclaw was almost certainly under the influence of something similar to what the Fae was going through. Or at the very least, cursed by Rachael.

The Wildclaw was not the subject of his visit though. After Khim had found out Clancy had regained consciousness, she made it a personal goal to tell him first. Giving no time for him to say no, the Imperial whisked off to meet him for the ‘reunion’. Now, after a lot of contemplation that got him nowhere on his slow trudge to join the two of them, he stood entirely unprepared. Hopefully his coworkers would serve to guide him through the conversation’s undoubtable rocky start.

Khim’s smooth voice filled the air as he entered, keeping her conversation partner occupied and unaware of the Fae’s arrival. A curtained off section hid its Wildclaw occupant from view, but it wasn’t hard to make out the quiet clamour of the nurses attending to him within. Drifting into view of where his coworkers lay chatting, he found the Imperial lounging on a small pile of large pillows as she wrapped herself around the bed.

Clancy sat with a saddened frown, slowly moving her claw up and down what looked like a now fully metallic arm in place of what was once a brace. While clear she was listening to her companion, she didn’t care all that much. A conversation to pass time over anything substantial. As she shifted attention over to the sudden new guest, she let out an exasperated huff.

“Zylen!” Khim greeted cheerfully, ignoring the Pearlcatcher’s glare, “Glad you could join us! Please, take a seat where you please. Or, if you’d prefer, feel free to use my antlers. I don’t mind.”

“What.” Clancy spoke through bared teeth, “Is he doing here?”

The Fae lowered his fans as he moved to get positioned on the Imperial’s head. He did his best to perk up some for the much larger dragon, “I’m here to visit,” he began, pushing down the growing weight in his chest, “And to say I’m sorry.”

There was an immediate snap, “Oh, like sorry will cut it Zylen!” She winced as she agitated some sort of wound, staring daggers into the Fae. “After everything you’ve done you think you can say sorry and expect the past to be behind me? That we can move on like nothing happened?”

“It’s better than living in fear that you’ll kill me!” He flared his main fans out, smaller ones fluttering with his rage, “Be glad you weren’t locked in some room to be watched over after what you did to Thorn.”

“You know exactly why I did that,” she spat.

“You’re right, I do. Because it’s exactly what I did to Mariela. Now would you listen for two seconds?”

“Alright,” still unamused, he at least had her full attention now, “But you better make it good.”

Condensing his thoughts over the past few days while under the pressure of his former friend was difficult. Between a sudden focus on his lack of empathy, trying to see things from a point of view that wasn’t his, and the ever present fear that he’d never get to have such a conversation, he was surprised he remained as put together as he was in the moment. Perhaps Khim’s presence had helped calm him some. Make him feel safe.

“First, I know I can read expressions, but that doesn’t mean I know a person. I’ve come to realize that more than anything else after you left. Piecing together everything I failed to notice has been incredibly difficult. Talking with the others has helped, but I know there’s nothing I can do to mend our relationship. This is an apology, but I’m not asking for forgiveness. Take it as you will.”

Shifting uncomfortably from his perch, he watched with worry as his words sunk in. Of course there was plain disbelief plastered in how Clancy held herself, but she was thinking over what he’d said now. While her frown remained as she spoke, he saw some tension leave her body, “Alright Zylen, I accept. But,” her eyes grew cold, “I want nothing from you unless I ask or come looking, got it? You didn’t help when I needed it most, so don’t you dare expect me to give you that courtesy.”

“And when we lose control?” He lowered his fans as he caught the Pearlcatcher baring her teeth in a snarl, “Clancy you know it’ll happen eventually. I can’t promise I’ll have enough care for what happens here when that does.”

“There are always exceptions, but you better find a way to work around them.” Scoffing, she focused on herself, “I’ll be sure to do the same, but you show some respect this time, understood?”

He remained silent for a moment, “I understand.” Hearing enough, he reentered the air, floating back down towards the floor, “I’ll leave you two alone before I can cause anymore damage.”

Wandering, the Fae wasn’t sure if there was any direction to where he was going until he found himself outside. Recognizing the pull towards the lake, he followed it, not in any mindset to be productive with the rest of his afternoon. It didn’t take long to locate the boating house and the nearby dock, devoid of any vessels for who knew how long. As usual, he took a spot at the edge, peering solemnly into his reflection in the water.

Sometimes he’d float adrift near the shore, but this was how he spent a majority of his visits. Staring at an empty version of himself while he thought over whatever troubled him. Or nothing at all if he wanted to listen to the gentle sounds of nature around him. The quiet lapping of the water along the shore, the distant birdsong, the rustling of grass. All to attempt to clear his mind if he no longer wanted to think.

Only his muddied thoughts were interrupted by splashing as another waded into the lake. Turning his attention towards the noise, he spoke before he saw the source, “What are you doing out here?”

“Well,” an unfamiliar voice answered back, “I’ve come to hopefully spot some of the aquatic residents calling this place home.”

Fishing_for_Friends.png

Spotting the Nocturne before him sporting a set of quite worn clothing, he’d wondered how he managed to miss another newcomer. Ignoring his staring, she instead looked to the water, interest peaking when she spotted and pulled out a crayfish, admiring some of its spots before lowering it back down. “Have you entered the mansion yet? Gotten your room and whatnot?”

“Of course!” she answered cheerfully, bowing her head in greeting, “Ardolen Iabla. All my friends call me Ardie, but choose what you will. I won’t be bothered either way.” She looked over at the boating house, “My office is in a separate building along the lake. Staff informed me the keys were in there. I’m in no rush, so I took advantage of an opportunity.”

“What, are you some sort of marine biologist or something?” Zylen inquired. “Wouldn’t the Thousand Currents or shoreline territories be better for your work?”

“First,” she retorted curtly, “I’m an aquarist. I more care for fish than study them. Prevent diseases and their spread and whatnot. Second, I prefer the prevalence of bioluminescent fish that populate the Tangled Woods lakes, rivers, and swamps. I may not study in the traditional sense, but I’m curious if illness affects said bioluminosity.”

“Well, you’ve come to the right place. Plenty of decorative ponds, a couple small aquariums, a game pond, and this large isolated lake should keep you occupied.” He let out a sigh, heading in the direction of the mansion, “I’ll leave you alone to your fish. See you again at dinner?”

Ardolen nodded, “May I at least get a name before you go?”

He huffed, “It’s Zylen. And frankly, names are the least of your worries here.”

Sorry if this is blegh. I had very little motivation to write despite having all the ideas there. But hey, Clancy's back and we got a new member! Ardolen is a lovely lass I probably won't get to show off too much because she'll be joining Tulu on the night crew. If anyone wonders about Malakhim being there instead of dayside like everyone else, she has one of those schedules where she sleeps almost immediately after her work is done. So she's far more present than Tulu is.

I'll be adding Ardolen to the cast list sometime after this post. Probably will be a day or two until she gets a bio proper though.

Quick Edit: Oops, forgot italics.

Hey, after trying to motivate myself for a bit, I realized I need to take a little break, at least for tonight. I've had little to no energy for this (or anything frankly) the past couple days, and I don't need to stress myself further. I might get a post out tomorrow, but I need time to recharge right now. Sorry again for another little break like this.

Hey, after trying to motivate myself for a bit, I realized I need to take a little break, at least for tonight. I've had little to no energy for this (or anything frankly) the past couple days, and I don't need to stress myself further. I might get a post out tomorrow, but I need time to recharge right now. Sorry again for another little break like this.

Giving a small update to show that I'm not dead. I'm in a terrible slump in terms of creativity sadly, and I'm not sure when I'll get out of it. I'm hoping to at least keep myself a little busy on other things so I don't lose motivation entirely, but for now this is once again on a mini-hiatus of sorts until I can get into a better headspace.

Giving a small update to show that I'm not dead. I'm in a terrible slump in terms of creativity sadly, and I'm not sure when I'll get out of it. I'm hoping to at least keep myself a little busy on other things so I don't lose motivation entirely, but for now this is once again on a mini-hiatus of sorts until I can get into a better headspace.
[center][b]Day 104[/b] [item=Jagged Beak] [b]Content Warnings: Death, Drowning[/b][/center] Zylen wasn’t sure if he should be relieved or nervous about being a part of the next task. After the tense encounter with Rachael and the inevitable interaction with Clancy, maybe being away from the manor was what he needed. Even if that meant dealing with more potentially dangerous objects and individuals. He and Jeremiah were to revisit the Sea of a Thousand Currents this time. After their report on recovering some of Darryn’s notes, the professor had dug up another potential lead that may uncover more. There was the ever present concern implied danger with no hints at its true nature, but a warning was better than nothing. The Fae was aware threats appeared to become increasingly common after the run in with the cult. Now only if he knew if that was a result of Saile trusting them with more dangerous tasks, or if word of what they’d done had spread. Casting his worries to the side, the librarian finished packing his bag for the journey, meeting his Banescale companion in the dining hall for an early lunch before they’d leave. They rehashed the plan there, talking about the docks they would meet at to catch a ferry to an island not too far from the shore. Supposedly there was an old academy built there ages ago that once associated itself with the institute. It had stopped being an academy and now served as private library in recent years. Their employer believed that old titles once belonging to the manor as well as journals and notes of other archivists, not just Darryn’s lay within, and he’d already informed the current owner of their arrival. And with that, the professor added the note of danger as almost a footnote. Reminding them to take only the ferry mentioned to and from the island and to not trust any others who may help them. Something about how they wouldn’t be the only ones who may seek the notes. The comments left Zylen with more questions than answers, and frustrated the Banescale as it made him believe that the professor didn’t trust their capabilities. Their trip through the portal was uneventful, taking them to the edges of a small market. Clearly renovated over the years, Zylen assumed this to be another owned by the Hollands at first. A thought reinforced by the approach of a Pearlcatcher from nearby who had been setting up a stall to sell goods in. A short conversation proved this assumption false as the two introduced each other, this one owned by the Goodwyn family. Much like the Hollands, the institute, and by extension the manor, were given permission to use the portal in exchange for particular goods they specialized in. After the pleasant introduction, the two of them headed towards the docks, resisting the urge to buy many of the goods catching their eye. Now wasn’t the time to be spending goods, but it was a note for a later visit. As they approached the docks, they found themselves alone, and the ferry they were to take was already on its way to the island on the horizon. Not wanting to tire themselves flying over, the two took the time to rest, finding a spot along the shore. They chatted about what they might find in the old academy for most of the time, until they were interrupted by another dragon approaching them. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/537779856474243072/945489708773933067/Little_Liar.png[/img] The pale Skydancer handed a small flier to them after approaching, “I heard you two were from Magpie Manor, is that true?” Zylen butted in as he watched Jeremiah tense up at the sudden recognition. Knowledge about who they were was almost never a good thing, but sometimes the area was simply known for the portals being used by individuals like themselves. He challenged this thought, “What makes you say that?” “I have a stall near to miss Goodwyn. We’re good friends.” Zylen caught on that her voice was strangely methodical, almost rehearsed. He let her continue, “Anytime I see someone pass through that portal, I ask where they’re from. I hand out fliers in hopes that they’ll spread the word of my shop to colleagues.” “I take it you’ve talked with those from the institute then?” “Of course! I’ve seen a few over my short time here, whether from the main branch or any of its sister locations. You’re the first I’ve seen that come from the manor though. Had a hard time believing anyone lived there if the place even existed.” “Well, consider yourself lucky then,” Zylen slipped the flier into his bag, “Until recently there was no major staffing there. Couldn’t tell you how long it was empty before then. Well, mostly empty.” “Well, I won’t keep you any longer. It’s been a pleasure meeting the both of you.” She took a small bow, turning away before suddenly pausing, “If you’d like, feel free to stop by my stall. I probably won’t have something for the two of you, but maybe you’ll find something for a colleague of yours.” The moment their sudden visitor left their field of vision, Jeremiah snapped back around to Zylen, “What do you think you’re doing?” “Look Jeremiah, I know we were to avoid talking with others, but from what I saw, this wasn’t the first time she’s approached someone from the portals.” He sighed at the disbelief the Banescale returned him, “Look, it was essentially a sales pitch. Meet some strangers from farther across Sornieth than most and make the most of them. Take up a stall nearby that they’ll see and tell their coworkers about. Brings in more revenue and invites new customers in. And if it is a trick, I’m sure we’ll see something on the fliers or at her stall.” “Fine,” Jeremiah said bluntly, standing up, “Besides the ferry’s here.” Gesturing to the approaching boat, he started towards the docks, ignoring Zylen’s rush to pick up his things. Securing his bag shut once more, Zylen began towards the boat himself, adjusting his hat as the wind knocked it askew. If only he knew. In an instant he felt something wrap around his entire body, launching him towards the water beside him. With only enough time to gasp or call out, he shouted a “Jerry!” before his head fell below the surface. The pulling didn’t stop as the net around him dragged him deeper and deeper. It didn’t take long for his lungs to cry for the air they lacked, and each passing second felt like an eternity as he awaited being saved by his companion. But the splash of another entering the water never appeared. The light above him never blotted out by another overhead looking for him. He only watched as the still surface grew dimmer and dimmer as the mounting pressure of the water began to crush his body. His lungs burned and cried for air they’d never get, and it wasn’t long until the Fae let out a fatal gasp, water replacing the air released. His vision began to fade as he felt himself drowning. Unable to break free of the netting around him as it finally came to rest, he simply watched the remaining bubbles rise up. If it weren’t for the fact he was dying, he’d find the softness of the ground below him comforting. But death wasn’t comforting. As his body lurched from the unwelcome water entering it, he wished he could cry. This was it. No one was going to save him. He was going to die alone. ------------- @Galehaut @TrashMomma @Spectator @moonlitknots @Jetdrana @CirrusAscending @Tynethyne @Drachenschwinge @nekopallet @MisterMylez @Venusian I was going to make some announcement about how I'm back now that I got out of the slump and did things with olms cause sudden hyperfixation, but, uh, Zylen's hecking dead. I....I need a moment. (Zylen has already been claimed. This was something agreed upon a while ago)
Day 104
Jagged Beak
Content Warnings: Death, Drowning

Zylen wasn’t sure if he should be relieved or nervous about being a part of the next task. After the tense encounter with Rachael and the inevitable interaction with Clancy, maybe being away from the manor was what he needed. Even if that meant dealing with more potentially dangerous objects and individuals.

He and Jeremiah were to revisit the Sea of a Thousand Currents this time. After their report on recovering some of Darryn’s notes, the professor had dug up another potential lead that may uncover more. There was the ever present concern implied danger with no hints at its true nature, but a warning was better than nothing. The Fae was aware threats appeared to become increasingly common after the run in with the cult. Now only if he knew if that was a result of Saile trusting them with more dangerous tasks, or if word of what they’d done had spread.

Casting his worries to the side, the librarian finished packing his bag for the journey, meeting his Banescale companion in the dining hall for an early lunch before they’d leave. They rehashed the plan there, talking about the docks they would meet at to catch a ferry to an island not too far from the shore. Supposedly there was an old academy built there ages ago that once associated itself with the institute. It had stopped being an academy and now served as private library in recent years. Their employer believed that old titles once belonging to the manor as well as journals and notes of other archivists, not just Darryn’s lay within, and he’d already informed the current owner of their arrival.

And with that, the professor added the note of danger as almost a footnote. Reminding them to take only the ferry mentioned to and from the island and to not trust any others who may help them. Something about how they wouldn’t be the only ones who may seek the notes. The comments left Zylen with more questions than answers, and frustrated the Banescale as it made him believe that the professor didn’t trust their capabilities.

Their trip through the portal was uneventful, taking them to the edges of a small market. Clearly renovated over the years, Zylen assumed this to be another owned by the Hollands at first. A thought reinforced by the approach of a Pearlcatcher from nearby who had been setting up a stall to sell goods in. A short conversation proved this assumption false as the two introduced each other, this one owned by the Goodwyn family. Much like the Hollands, the institute, and by extension the manor, were given permission to use the portal in exchange for particular goods they specialized in.

After the pleasant introduction, the two of them headed towards the docks, resisting the urge to buy many of the goods catching their eye. Now wasn’t the time to be spending goods, but it was a note for a later visit. As they approached the docks, they found themselves alone, and the ferry they were to take was already on its way to the island on the horizon. Not wanting to tire themselves flying over, the two took the time to rest, finding a spot along the shore. They chatted about what they might find in the old academy for most of the time, until they were interrupted by another dragon approaching them.

Little_Liar.png

The pale Skydancer handed a small flier to them after approaching, “I heard you two were from Magpie Manor, is that true?”

Zylen butted in as he watched Jeremiah tense up at the sudden recognition. Knowledge about who they were was almost never a good thing, but sometimes the area was simply known for the portals being used by individuals like themselves. He challenged this thought, “What makes you say that?”

“I have a stall near to miss Goodwyn. We’re good friends.” Zylen caught on that her voice was strangely methodical, almost rehearsed. He let her continue, “Anytime I see someone pass through that portal, I ask where they’re from. I hand out fliers in hopes that they’ll spread the word of my shop to colleagues.”

“I take it you’ve talked with those from the institute then?”

“Of course! I’ve seen a few over my short time here, whether from the main branch or any of its sister locations. You’re the first I’ve seen that come from the manor though. Had a hard time believing anyone lived there if the place even existed.”

“Well, consider yourself lucky then,” Zylen slipped the flier into his bag, “Until recently there was no major staffing there. Couldn’t tell you how long it was empty before then. Well, mostly empty.”

“Well, I won’t keep you any longer. It’s been a pleasure meeting the both of you.” She took a small bow, turning away before suddenly pausing, “If you’d like, feel free to stop by my stall. I probably won’t have something for the two of you, but maybe you’ll find something for a colleague of yours.”

The moment their sudden visitor left their field of vision, Jeremiah snapped back around to Zylen, “What do you think you’re doing?”

“Look Jeremiah, I know we were to avoid talking with others, but from what I saw, this wasn’t the first time she’s approached someone from the portals.” He sighed at the disbelief the Banescale returned him, “Look, it was essentially a sales pitch. Meet some strangers from farther across Sornieth than most and make the most of them. Take up a stall nearby that they’ll see and tell their coworkers about. Brings in more revenue and invites new customers in. And if it is a trick, I’m sure we’ll see something on the fliers or at her stall.”

“Fine,” Jeremiah said bluntly, standing up, “Besides the ferry’s here.” Gesturing to the approaching boat, he started towards the docks, ignoring Zylen’s rush to pick up his things.

Securing his bag shut once more, Zylen began towards the boat himself, adjusting his hat as the wind knocked it askew.

If only he knew.

In an instant he felt something wrap around his entire body, launching him towards the water beside him. With only enough time to gasp or call out, he shouted a “Jerry!” before his head fell below the surface. The pulling didn’t stop as the net around him dragged him deeper and deeper. It didn’t take long for his lungs to cry for the air they lacked, and each passing second felt like an eternity as he awaited being saved by his companion.

But the splash of another entering the water never appeared. The light above him never blotted out by another overhead looking for him. He only watched as the still surface grew dimmer and dimmer as the mounting pressure of the water began to crush his body. His lungs burned and cried for air they’d never get, and it wasn’t long until the Fae let out a fatal gasp, water replacing the air released.

His vision began to fade as he felt himself drowning. Unable to break free of the netting around him as it finally came to rest, he simply watched the remaining bubbles rise up. If it weren’t for the fact he was dying, he’d find the softness of the ground below him comforting. But death wasn’t comforting. As his body lurched from the unwelcome water entering it, he wished he could cry.

This was it.

No one was going to save him.

He was going to die alone.

I was going to make some announcement about how I'm back now that I got out of the slump and did things with olms cause sudden hyperfixation, but, uh, Zylen's hecking dead.

I....I need a moment.

(Zylen has already been claimed. This was something agreed upon a while ago)
What!? How did that happen... [emoji=coatl scared size=2]
What!? How did that happen...
2WRv2Ib.jpg

@Drachenschwinge
It's called a Trick of the Light dodged an attack from Micah that would've killed it, and it targeted Zylen. Zylen had a little over a fourth of his health left and perished. I couldn't believe it either but I can tell you right now that I'm still screaming about it.
@Drachenschwinge
It's called a Trick of the Light dodged an attack from Micah that would've killed it, and it targeted Zylen. Zylen had a little over a fourth of his health left and perished. I couldn't believe it either but I can tell you right now that I'm still screaming about it.
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21