Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [IC] Dark-themed CYOA - Friday, Nov.13th
1 2 3 4 5 6
[center]I am currently working on a CYOA that will be a horror/superstition/phobia themed adventure with a mystery to solve at the end. There will be many choices to make, and many possible prizes to win with the tickets you can earn from making the best choices and coming up with the right answer. Badges every day will reflect what you're up against. You'll earn them, because very little in Superstition Hotel is what it seems and nothing can be taken for granted. [size=4][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/raf/2850675]If you want to check out my writing style, and view how we ran our last event, take a look at our completed Wavecrest adventure![/url][/size] This one is going to be way more detailed and have many layers. We had to scramble last minute on that one. I promise you'll like this one way better. ;)[/center] ----- [center][u][b][size=6][color=purple]Welcome to Superstition Hotel[/color][/size][/b][/u][/center] The convention had been everything you were hoping for… entertaining, enlightening, exciting, and expensive. You didn’t actually walk away from the dealer’s floor with one of everything, but the gods know you did your best to spread your money around. Saturday night… the last night before the wrap-up day of the convention tomorrow. You’re heading downstairs in your most comfortable “it’s binge-watch time!” clothing. There’s going to be an all-night horror movie marathon - with snacks - and you want to get a good seat. The hall you enter is the biggest in the hotel. In the very front is a massive screen that’s running a slideshow of different monsters, psychopaths, and frightening vistas from all eras of horror… from the very first black and white silent films all the way to the blockbuster that came out just a few weeks ago. Last time you came in here, just this afternoon for a big panel, there were only rows of folding chairs. There are still a lot of those but, for the lucky people arriving early enough to snag them, there are several couches, love seats, squishy lobby chairs, and bean bags strewn around in little groupings. You manage to get the seat you really wanted and settle in to watch the rest of the hordes arrive. It doesn’t take long for the hall to be filled to capacity and for the convention security outside to start turning people away at the door. Once the majority of the buzzing, humming crowd is seated, the lights start to flicker and the last stragglers find a place to set themselves down. A spotlight flicks on overhead and lights up a single section on the stage in front of the screen. Murmurs of excitement start as it appears this event is about to begin. You’re not expecting much of an adrenaline rush tonight… what could possibly happen while everyone just watches a screen? It’s not like the random encounters that the organizers had arranged in the hallways and various panels over the last few days can be arranged in a room this big where no one is paying attention to anything but what’s directly in front of them. Smugly sure that you’re not moving for the rest of the night, you settle in and wait for the fun to begin. What’s that saying? Pride goeth before a fall? Better get ready for the rabbit hole... ----- [center][b][size=4]The start date will be November 6th, and the event will end on Friday, November 13th. If you are interested in taking part, please comment and I'll add you to the ping list! :)[/size][/b][/center] ----- [center][b][size=5][color=purple]UPDATES[/color][/size][/b][/center] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-11-01 12:07:04" ] It's the final countdown, people! The event will begin around 7am FR time on Friday, November 6th. Now's your time to save up your entry fees, pick out who's going to attend the convention, and prepare for some pretty harrowing times ahead. Brace yourselves! [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-10-20 09:40:37" ] Yeeeeehaw! I've coded almost everything. Just still have days 6 through 8 to code and I'm done! The last two badges have been finished, as well! GO EBONIXI! I've also started the thread for the actual event. Please do not post there, continue to comment here... but that's where we'll be going when it happens. For now, the prizes and rules have been put up! :) You get to see how to play and what you're playing for! <3 Getting closer and closer, everyone! Wheeeee! [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-10-16 23:01:14" ] *whispers* Guys... GUYS! ALL THE WRITING IS DONE! The only thing I'm going to have to write is the last day's reveal when I find out if the majority of you picked the right answer or not. Everything else is complete! All that's left to do is have the last two badges digitized (but we will be patient with Ebonixi because dealing with a newborn comes first!) and format all the coding for the thread posts. We are - effectively - done weeks early. The hard part after I finish the coding? Will be not starting the event early. :D But the whole event was themed around ending on Friday the 13th, so we'll all just have to be patient. It's gonna be so much fun and I can't wait! <3 [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-10-14 12:18:47" ] Hey guys! The home stretch is in sight! Both of the last badges have been sketched and sent over for digitizing. All of the clues have been put in and I know which options are doing what. Every.Single.Prize (all 14 big packages, and all the little daily prizes) has been acquired! The only things left for me to do are write up the responses and the final reveal at the end, then code everything. This is definitely happening and I am SO EXCITED! Wheeee! [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-26 20:53:41" ] Days 1-7 are done! The main title graphic and the first 5 days of badges are completely done! Research is progressing so that I can start sprinkling clues and then write up the responses to your options. Have acquired many, many prizes and know what else we're going to go for in the packages! We're moving right along, and with plenty of time to spare! This game is going to be polished and you're gonna love all the rewards at the end! <3 [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-24 15:00:15" ] WOOT! Day 7 main story and options are written! The fun part? I'm only halfway through. hahahaha Next up... lots of research, peppering clues around to figure out which options are the right ones, and then writing the responses to your possible choices. But we're getting closer and closer! OMG I can't wait for you guys to see this. <3 [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-21 14:49:18" ] WOO WOO! The pencil drawings I have for the badges are getting digitally prettified by a wonderful artist, @Ebonixi! I am SUPER excited about this because the art was the part I had no idea how to fully pull off. I really hope you guys are going to like them! [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-20 20:55:01" ] I have written all the way through Day 5! Only two more days to go before I can start planting clues and writing up the responses for your choices. I am seriously excited about this, guys, and I really hope you will be too! <3 [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-17 14:19:39" ] OMG you guys! I wrote 9 pages of material yesterday! Days 1 thru 3 are almost fully fleshed out. Just need to write the responses for your choices. ;) Still a lot of work to do, but it's going well! Oooooh so excited. <3 [/quote] [quote name="Sylvidoptera" date="2020-09-13 20:34:15" ] Another badge finished being drawn! I still need to figure out how to color them... but only 2 more badges to go! [/quote] ----- [center][b][size=2][color=purple]PING LIST[/color][/size][/b][/center] [size=1]@/AquaEmperor, @/ARandomPerson, @/Atavan, @/Aviander, @/bioloyg, @/BunnySox, @/ClockworkEclipse, @/CrashingKittens, @/Crystalitar, @/Crystalpixel, @/darkstormyheart, @/DarkYnx, @/Easte, @/Eeree, @/Elodee, @/FaerieQueene, @/fens, @/FishingNet, @/frosmoth, @/FrostyyKittens, @/Ghostlindsay, @/Gladicent, @/Goldia, @/gryphon982, @/hydrangxas, @/Jaderannosaurus, @/jaspernoir, @/Kaimon, @/Katsuji, @/Loreka, @/Mewru, @/Mudy, @/nebulavery, @/odakotarose, @/overose, @/RemanLT, @/RisenWolf, @/Saraceaser, @/seekae, @/ShadeytheDragon, @/SilentWaves, @/SilverOtter, @/Sinjin, @/SnacMeister, @/SolarSam, @/Solstices, @/Soulthreads, @/TricksySixx, @/Tues, @/Tynethyne, @/UmbraGlide, @/voidbeast, @/Watercolour, @/WolfTrickster, @/Yternyty[/size]
I am currently working on a CYOA that will be a horror/superstition/phobia themed adventure with a mystery to solve at the end. There will be many choices to make, and many possible prizes to win with the tickets you can earn from making the best choices and coming up with the right answer. Badges every day will reflect what you're up against. You'll earn them, because very little in Superstition Hotel is what it seems and nothing can be taken for granted.

If you want to check out my writing style, and view how we ran our last event, take a look at our completed Wavecrest adventure!
This one is going to be way more detailed and have many layers. We had to scramble last minute on that one. I promise you'll like this one way better. ;)

Welcome to Superstition Hotel

The convention had been everything you were hoping for… entertaining, enlightening, exciting, and expensive. You didn’t actually walk away from the dealer’s floor with one of everything, but the gods know you did your best to spread your money around.

Saturday night… the last night before the wrap-up day of the convention tomorrow. You’re heading downstairs in your most comfortable “it’s binge-watch time!” clothing. There’s going to be an all-night horror movie marathon - with snacks - and you want to get a good seat.

The hall you enter is the biggest in the hotel. In the very front is a massive screen that’s running a slideshow of different monsters, psychopaths, and frightening vistas from all eras of horror… from the very first black and white silent films all the way to the blockbuster that came out just a few weeks ago. Last time you came in here, just this afternoon for a big panel, there were only rows of folding chairs. There are still a lot of those but, for the lucky people arriving early enough to snag them, there are several couches, love seats, squishy lobby chairs, and bean bags strewn around in little groupings. You manage to get the seat you really wanted and settle in to watch the rest of the hordes arrive.

It doesn’t take long for the hall to be filled to capacity and for the convention security outside to start turning people away at the door. Once the majority of the buzzing, humming crowd is seated, the lights start to flicker and the last stragglers find a place to set themselves down. A spotlight flicks on overhead and lights up a single section on the stage in front of the screen. Murmurs of excitement start as it appears this event is about to begin.

You’re not expecting much of an adrenaline rush tonight… what could possibly happen while everyone just watches a screen? It’s not like the random encounters that the organizers had arranged in the hallways and various panels over the last few days can be arranged in a room this big where no one is paying attention to anything but what’s directly in front of them. Smugly sure that you’re not moving for the rest of the night, you settle in and wait for the fun to begin.

What’s that saying? Pride goeth before a fall? Better get ready for the rabbit hole...

The start date will be November 6th, and the event will end on Friday, November 13th. If you are interested in taking part, please comment and I'll add you to the ping list! :)

UPDATES
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-11-01 12:07:04:
It's the final countdown, people! The event will begin around 7am FR time on Friday, November 6th.

Now's your time to save up your entry fees, pick out who's going to attend the convention, and prepare for some pretty harrowing times ahead.

Brace yourselves!
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-10-20 09:40:37:
Yeeeeehaw! I've coded almost everything. Just still have days 6 through 8 to code and I'm done! The last two badges have been finished, as well! GO EBONIXI!

I've also started the thread for the actual event. Please do not post there, continue to comment here... but that's where we'll be going when it happens.

For now, the prizes and rules have been put up! :) You get to see how to play and what you're playing for! <3

Getting closer and closer, everyone! Wheeeee!
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-10-16 23:01:14:
*whispers*

Guys... GUYS! ALL THE WRITING IS DONE! The only thing I'm going to have to write is the last day's reveal when I find out if the majority of you picked the right answer or not. Everything else is complete!

All that's left to do is have the last two badges digitized (but we will be patient with Ebonixi because dealing with a newborn comes first!) and format all the coding for the thread posts.

We are - effectively - done weeks early.

The hard part after I finish the coding? Will be not starting the event early. :D But the whole event was themed around ending on Friday the 13th, so we'll all just have to be patient.

It's gonna be so much fun and I can't wait! <3
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-10-14 12:18:47:
Hey guys! The home stretch is in sight!

Both of the last badges have been sketched and sent over for digitizing.
All of the clues have been put in and I know which options are doing what.
Every.Single.Prize (all 14 big packages, and all the little daily prizes) has been acquired!

The only things left for me to do are write up the responses and the final reveal at the end, then code everything.

This is definitely happening and I am SO EXCITED! Wheeee!
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-26 20:53:41:
Days 1-7 are done!
The main title graphic and the first 5 days of badges are completely done!
Research is progressing so that I can start sprinkling clues and then write up the responses to your options.
Have acquired many, many prizes and know what else we're going to go for in the packages!

We're moving right along, and with plenty of time to spare! This game is going to be polished and you're gonna love all the rewards at the end! <3
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-24 15:00:15:
WOOT! Day 7 main story and options are written!

The fun part? I'm only halfway through. hahahaha

Next up... lots of research, peppering clues around to figure out which options are the right ones, and then writing the responses to your possible choices.

But we're getting closer and closer! OMG I can't wait for you guys to see this. <3
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-21 14:49:18:
WOO WOO! The pencil drawings I have for the badges are getting digitally prettified by a wonderful artist, @Ebonixi! I am SUPER excited about this because the art was the part I had no idea how to fully pull off. I really hope you guys are going to like them!
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-20 20:55:01:
I have written all the way through Day 5! Only two more days to go before I can start planting clues and writing up the responses for your choices.

I am seriously excited about this, guys, and I really hope you will be too! <3
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-17 14:19:39:
OMG you guys! I wrote 9 pages of material yesterday! Days 1 thru 3 are almost fully fleshed out. Just need to write the responses for your choices. ;)

Still a lot of work to do, but it's going well! Oooooh so excited. <3
Sylvidoptera wrote on 2020-09-13 20:34:15:
Another badge finished being drawn! I still need to figure out how to color them... but only 2 more badges to go!

PING LIST
@/AquaEmperor, @/ARandomPerson, @/Atavan, @/Aviander, @/bioloyg, @/BunnySox, @/ClockworkEclipse, @/CrashingKittens, @/Crystalitar, @/Crystalpixel, @/darkstormyheart, @/DarkYnx, @/Easte, @/Eeree, @/Elodee, @/FaerieQueene, @/fens, @/FishingNet, @/frosmoth, @/FrostyyKittens, @/Ghostlindsay, @/Gladicent, @/Goldia, @/gryphon982, @/hydrangxas, @/Jaderannosaurus, @/jaspernoir, @/Kaimon, @/Katsuji, @/Loreka, @/Mewru, @/Mudy, @/nebulavery, @/odakotarose, @/overose, @/RemanLT, @/RisenWolf, @/Saraceaser, @/seekae, @/ShadeytheDragon, @/SilentWaves, @/SilverOtter, @/Sinjin, @/SnacMeister, @/SolarSam, @/Solstices, @/Soulthreads, @/TricksySixx, @/Tues, @/Tynethyne, @/UmbraGlide, @/voidbeast, @/Watercolour, @/WolfTrickster, @/Yternyty
AaYNmEX.png
tqGkHih.png
reHWBXk.png
oczO35g.png
JvUa9ma.png
_
@AquaEmperor, @ARandomPerson, @Aviander, @briar, @BunnySox, @ClockworkEclipse, @CrashingKittens, @Crystalpixel, @darkstormyheart, @DarkYnx, @Elodee, @FaerieQueene, @fens, @FishingNet, @frosmoth, @Ghostlindsay, @Gladicent, @Goldia, @gryphon982, @GuardianDragonak, @hydrangxas, @Jaderannosaurus, @jaspernoir, @Kaimon, @Katsuji, @Loreka, @Mudy, @nebulavery, @odakotarose, @overose, @RemanLT, @RisenWolf, @Saraceaser, @seekae, @SilverOtter, @Sinjin, @SnacMeister, @TricksySixx, @Tues, @UmbraGlide, @voidbeast, @Watercolour, @WolfTrickster

Hi guys! You asked for pings after the last event I ran... so I'm letting you know that the new one is in progress (I've even drawn some graphics and gotten the challenges down, just waiting for prose...). This will be updated as I'm making more progress.

Yes, it's a couple of months away... but I love to be prepared. Besides, having this thread is an accountability thing. If people are expecting it, I can't just procrastinate. ;)

If I pinged you to this post, you are already on the ping list. :) Any newcomers finding this thread will have to request and I will happily add. <3
@AquaEmperor, @ARandomPerson, @Aviander, @briar, @BunnySox, @ClockworkEclipse, @CrashingKittens, @Crystalpixel, @darkstormyheart, @DarkYnx, @Elodee, @FaerieQueene, @fens, @FishingNet, @frosmoth, @Ghostlindsay, @Gladicent, @Goldia, @gryphon982, @GuardianDragonak, @hydrangxas, @Jaderannosaurus, @jaspernoir, @Kaimon, @Katsuji, @Loreka, @Mudy, @nebulavery, @odakotarose, @overose, @RemanLT, @RisenWolf, @Saraceaser, @seekae, @SilverOtter, @Sinjin, @SnacMeister, @TricksySixx, @Tues, @UmbraGlide, @voidbeast, @Watercolour, @WolfTrickster

Hi guys! You asked for pings after the last event I ran... so I'm letting you know that the new one is in progress (I've even drawn some graphics and gotten the challenges down, just waiting for prose...). This will be updated as I'm making more progress.

Yes, it's a couple of months away... but I love to be prepared. Besides, having this thread is an accountability thing. If people are expecting it, I can't just procrastinate. ;)

If I pinged you to this post, you are already on the ping list. :) Any newcomers finding this thread will have to request and I will happily add. <3
AaYNmEX.png
tqGkHih.png
reHWBXk.png
oczO35g.png
JvUa9ma.png
_
Ooh! May i be added to the pinglist
Ooh! May i be added to the pinglist
e0vgPI4.gifJICIbJe.pngF6-A6-C01-B-D7-EC-4-C49-AED9-A9-D6-F3-DA011-A.gifw8o0xW1.pngbxDQbVS.gif
Ooo! I'm very excited for this.
Ooo! I'm very excited for this.
b2d539f53b798f31f5d6939b881cb7385ceea443.png
Do keep me posted (still an avid lover of horror here XD)~!
Do keep me posted (still an avid lover of horror here XD)~!
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
oooh this looks interesting!!! i’m looking forward to it
oooh this looks interesting!!! i’m looking forward to it
tumblr_inline_oopznbhmvJ1u5ynwc_540.pngvee | it/its | +3 FR time | PWYW arttumblr_inline_oopznbhmvJ1u5ynwc_540.png
CDEDBE49-F090-441-B-9239-31-F580-D3992-B.png
p3Lr8aR.pngACOZFAh.pngrQfqxOq.png
1YB0OjO.pngrI18gRz.png7Iu4Ec0.png
Ooo I'm so excited!
Ooo I'm so excited!
C5V5o0z.png
this sounds awesome! i'd love to be added to the pinglist!
this sounds awesome! i'd love to be added to the pinglist!
tumblr_inline_naxjlyAN6m1qg78ij.png 99HpT0c.png wind_bibling_by_cicide76536-dcipqin.gif WIMBY100.png
Oh, I like the sound of this!
Good luck with working on it!
Oh, I like the sound of this!
Good luck with working on it!
Runic Bat Spectral Duskflapper Cursed Bat Armored Duskflapper Spirit of Shadow
I'm definitely up for this!!! Can't wait to see your progress...!!!
I'm definitely up for this!!! Can't wait to see your progress...!!!
1 2 3 4 5 6