Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [P] PinkerLore - The Refuge
1 2
So, I was doing a Fodderlocke challenge when I realized something awful - that I was pretty much writing more lore for and getting more attached to some of this group than I was the majority of my dragons in my lair. Why? Because it was a game, and the same mechanics that made training and exalting dragons fun also made writing lore fun.

I cheated hardcore on the rules of the Fodderlocke and became totally attached to a few of my dragons and saved them instead of exalting. I was going to continue their stories, but then I got stuck. I needed some randomness, some game mechanism to make it fun again.

And then it hit me. Pinkerton. Dear sweet Pinkerton. I could use his daily gifts to give my little lore prompts direction, as I write about my other traveling clan. My Fodderlocke spin-off, as it were. So here are the rules I created - the daily activities I write a blurb about and the actions I take will be determined by his daily gift, just like in a Pinkerlocke, only, you know, not deadly.

So here are my rules, please feel free to steal this game idea if you think it sounds fun, make adjustments as you please, please ping me if you do cause I’d love to read it!
Pinkerlore Challenge Rules

This is a fun game with little activities and prompts to write lore about your dragons. It’s probably better suited to small groups of dragons on an adventure, that’s what I’m planning as my storyline, but ymmv. The things you do/write about daily are chosen by the gift Pinkerton gives you!

• Food: hunting trip! Pick three of your dragons to go on a hunting trip and write about their experiences. Pick any coli venue you like and stay until you get...
    -plant (familiar)
    -insect (openable item)
    -meat (battle item)
    -seafood (your choice)
    —or you get bored!
    Write about your adventures hunting, or maybe it was uneventful. You can use this to level up dragons or just to collect items in a lower level venue.
  • Material/Other - relationships - pick two dragons and write something about their relationship. Are they family? Friends? Romantic partners? Work in an established relationship, establish a new one, roll dice to randomize it for a bigger challenge!
  • Apparel - shopping trip! Arrival in a city/settlement or interact with another clan. Pick two of your dragons (either at random or your choice) to go on the trip and write a quick adventure with the strangers. (Give the apparel to one of the dragons to wear!)
  • Battlestone - time to say goodbye to one of your adventurers. Is it a fond farewell or has there been tension in the ranks? (Of course you can cheat if you’re too attached to everyone, maybe they’re just parting ways for a time and will return!)
  • Familiar - a new recruit! Buy the cheapest hatchling on the AH and give them the familiar you found. Write about their joining the clan.

If you ever feel your group is too small, add to your ranks! If you have RTB dragons, put them on a nest. Or, you want to do the first step like a fodderlocke - buy two adult dragons, train them to level 6, roll a d6 and let them stay if you roll a 6 - that’s a good way to get some fodder trained and add to your story. (If you want to do this daily for the fodder exalting part but don’t want your group to get huge, you can always roll an 8/10/12 instead of a six to decrease the chance that a dragon will stay!)

And that’s it! I’m probably going to tweak these rules a bit as I write my own personal adventures but this is my starting point!
So, I was doing a Fodderlocke challenge when I realized something awful - that I was pretty much writing more lore for and getting more attached to some of this group than I was the majority of my dragons in my lair. Why? Because it was a game, and the same mechanics that made training and exalting dragons fun also made writing lore fun.

I cheated hardcore on the rules of the Fodderlocke and became totally attached to a few of my dragons and saved them instead of exalting. I was going to continue their stories, but then I got stuck. I needed some randomness, some game mechanism to make it fun again.

And then it hit me. Pinkerton. Dear sweet Pinkerton. I could use his daily gifts to give my little lore prompts direction, as I write about my other traveling clan. My Fodderlocke spin-off, as it were. So here are the rules I created - the daily activities I write a blurb about and the actions I take will be determined by his daily gift, just like in a Pinkerlocke, only, you know, not deadly.

So here are my rules, please feel free to steal this game idea if you think it sounds fun, make adjustments as you please, please ping me if you do cause I’d love to read it!
Pinkerlore Challenge Rules

This is a fun game with little activities and prompts to write lore about your dragons. It’s probably better suited to small groups of dragons on an adventure, that’s what I’m planning as my storyline, but ymmv. The things you do/write about daily are chosen by the gift Pinkerton gives you!

• Food: hunting trip! Pick three of your dragons to go on a hunting trip and write about their experiences. Pick any coli venue you like and stay until you get...
    -plant (familiar)
    -insect (openable item)
    -meat (battle item)
    -seafood (your choice)
    —or you get bored!
    Write about your adventures hunting, or maybe it was uneventful. You can use this to level up dragons or just to collect items in a lower level venue.
  • Material/Other - relationships - pick two dragons and write something about their relationship. Are they family? Friends? Romantic partners? Work in an established relationship, establish a new one, roll dice to randomize it for a bigger challenge!
  • Apparel - shopping trip! Arrival in a city/settlement or interact with another clan. Pick two of your dragons (either at random or your choice) to go on the trip and write a quick adventure with the strangers. (Give the apparel to one of the dragons to wear!)
  • Battlestone - time to say goodbye to one of your adventurers. Is it a fond farewell or has there been tension in the ranks? (Of course you can cheat if you’re too attached to everyone, maybe they’re just parting ways for a time and will return!)
  • Familiar - a new recruit! Buy the cheapest hatchling on the AH and give them the familiar you found. Write about their joining the clan.

If you ever feel your group is too small, add to your ranks! If you have RTB dragons, put them on a nest. Or, you want to do the first step like a fodderlocke - buy two adult dragons, train them to level 6, roll a d6 and let them stay if you roll a 6 - that’s a good way to get some fodder trained and add to your story. (If you want to do this daily for the fodder exalting part but don’t want your group to get huge, you can always roll an 8/10/12 instead of a six to decrease the chance that a dragon will stay!)

And that’s it! I’m probably going to tweak these rules a bit as I write my own personal adventures but this is my starting point!
EEBA057-B-0307-4125-9-FF4-E796-D4-E4-EA59.jpg
[center][u]The Story So Far[/u] [/center] [left][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/60040853][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/600409/60040853_350.png[/img][/url] Kael, once a misfit, joined a crime family in the Tangled Wood. Despite being at a low point in his life, he found love in a strange place. He discovered his Charge, Talene, and her Charge (and mate) Shallan. He helped them escape to a place they called The Refuge. He helped set another young dragon - born in secret, then orphaned - on her path to this Refuge. He feared leaving would endanger the others, but longed for the company of the friends he loved. When he intercepted a young refugee looking for a home with the crime family, he was inspired to escape and take her to the Refuge instead. Kael is strong both physically and emotionally, but does have a soft spot for young dragons in need. [/left] [right] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63166388][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/631664/63166388_350.png[/img][/url] Rue is a teenage dragon who has spent most of her life on the run. There is a great clash of two giant clans somewhere in the wild lands near where the fire clans have their territory. These clans have been feuding for generations, only lately it’s been outright warfare. There are stories told in whispers there about life in the Tangled Wood and about the infamous crime families that operate there. Life can be good, they say, if you can join one of these tiny and fiercely loyal clans. You get a family, a expansive lair, enough food to eat, riches beyond compare. Rue was young and tiny and scared, she thought her only chance was to join one of these families. Instead, she found Kael, and a chance at a better future - one of love, safety, and peace. [/right] [left] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/63282662][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/632827/63282662_350.png[/img][/url] Sunshower was found as a newborn, gleaming like gold in the sunshine that filtered through the trees in the tangled wood. Rue declared as soon as she saw her that she had to come with them, and so she did. [center] Kael and Rue are setting out on their journey to the Refuge. Every day they will have an adventure, add to their stores and potentially their numbers. They are 150 marks away from tgeir goal and will advance between 1 and 10 marks closer every day, depending on a dice roll. Let the adventure begin! (Progress: 12 of 150)
The Story So Far
60040853_350.png

Kael, once a misfit, joined a crime family in the Tangled Wood. Despite being at a low point in his life, he found love in a strange place. He discovered his Charge, Talene, and her Charge (and mate) Shallan. He helped them escape to a place they called The Refuge. He helped set another young dragon - born in secret, then orphaned - on her path to this Refuge. He feared leaving would endanger the others, but longed for the company of the friends he loved. When he intercepted a young refugee looking for a home with the crime family, he was inspired to escape and take her to the Refuge instead. Kael is strong both physically and emotionally, but does have a soft spot for young dragons in need.
63166388_350.png

Rue is a teenage dragon who has spent most of her life on the run. There is a great clash of two giant clans somewhere in the wild lands near where the fire clans have their territory. These clans have been feuding for generations, only lately it’s been outright warfare. There are stories told in whispers there about life in the Tangled Wood and about the infamous crime families that operate there. Life can be good, they say, if you can join one of these tiny and fiercely loyal clans. You get a family, a expansive lair, enough food to eat, riches beyond compare. Rue was young and tiny and scared, she thought her only chance was to join one of these families. Instead, she found Kael, and a chance at a better future - one of love, safety, and peace.
63282662_350.png

Sunshower was found as a newborn, gleaming like gold in the sunshine that filtered through the trees in the tangled wood. Rue declared as soon as she saw her that she had to come with them, and so she did.

Kael and Rue are setting out on their journey to the Refuge. Every day they will have an adventure, add to their stores and potentially their numbers. They are 150 marks away from tgeir goal and will advance between 1 and 10 marks closer every day, depending on a dice roll. Let the adventure begin!
(Progress: 12 of 150)
[center]Day 1 [item=salt] [/center] “Mama? Mama!” Rue sighs, readjusts the little tiny spiral dragon on her back. “I’m not your Mama, little one. I don’t know where she is. But I know she did what’s best for you.” “Give her here,” Kael suggests, and Rue complies, gratefully. “Ma ma ma!” the tiny one babbles at Kael. He laughs. “No, little one. Papa, more like. Can you say that? Papa?” “Mama!” The spiral giggles. “We can’t keep calling her little one,” says Rue, thinking - for a moment - about her own mother. Her name was the last thing she was given before they parted ways, and Rue was urged to flee, to seek safety. “She needs a name. A proper one.” “Hmm,” Kael ponders. “It was raining when we found her, and yet she still glowed like the sun.” And that she did, snuggled in a nest of leaves, clutching a little note in one paw, [i]please take care of my hatchling[/i]. “Sunshower,” he decides. “What you call it when it’s raining and sunny all at once. Do you like that? Sunshower?” “Pa! Pa!” “I guess that means she likes it.” [center]Progress: 5/150[/center]
Day 1
Salt

“Mama? Mama!”

Rue sighs, readjusts the little tiny spiral dragon on her back. “I’m not your Mama, little one. I don’t know where she is. But I know she did what’s best for you.”

“Give her here,” Kael suggests, and Rue complies, gratefully.

“Ma ma ma!” the tiny one babbles at Kael. He laughs. “No, little one. Papa, more like. Can you say that? Papa?”

“Mama!” The spiral giggles.

“We can’t keep calling her little one,” says Rue, thinking - for a moment - about her own mother. Her name was the last thing she was given before they parted ways, and Rue was urged to flee, to seek safety. “She needs a name. A proper one.”

“Hmm,” Kael ponders. “It was raining when we found her, and yet she still glowed like the sun.” And that she did, snuggled in a nest of leaves, clutching a little note in one paw, please take care of my hatchling.

“Sunshower,” he decides. “What you call it when it’s raining and sunny all at once. Do you like that? Sunshower?”

“Pa! Pa!”

“I guess that means she likes it.”

Progress: 5/150
[center]Day 2 [item=sea grass][/center] Rue is hungry, and she suspects the others are too. They wander through the forest, and the sorts of trees start changing, from the dark evergreens so prominent in the Tangled Wood to a scattering of full leaved deciduous trees, and a small clearing beyond. Rue notices a stream in the clearing, tall grasses, places where small animals might make their homes. “Look, Kael,” she says, gesturing with her chin towards the clearing. “We could hunt here, and fish, and forage.” The older dragon nods. “You have a good eye. This place is perfect.” “But — what do we do with Sunshower?” It was an issue she hadn’t anticipated until that very moment, and her heart sinks. “We can’t take her out hunting with us.” “We’ll make her a little nest here,” he decides, after a moment. “She spends most of her time asleep anyway.” He starts gathering up some fallen tree branches, and he and Rue take the time to weave a little nest out of pine boughs. “Here you go,” Kael coos, settling the baby dragon in amongst the sweet-scented branches. “Stay here, be good, we’ll be back for you soon.” The two of them split up: Kael heads for the stream to fish, Rue hunts insects in the tall grass, deftly pouncing. She forgets herself for a time, like she’s playing, like she did when she was little and practicing hunting. She’s startled by the sight of large creatures nearby: beastclan, of course, she realizes. Of course they would hunt in these spots too. They seem to be moving away from the clearing, towards the mountains, and she sighs softly in relief. And then she hears a noise, a little tiny squawking, and she can’t help but investigate. It’s a tiny bird, a Raptorik, with a broken wing. And because she is who she is, she picks it up and brings it back with her to the place where Sunshower was sleeping. Kael laughed at the sight of her juggling the sack of insects and the baby bird. “Another foundling!” Rue joins in the laughter and settles down with her companions in the shade of the giant trees. [center]Progress: 8/150
Day 2
Sea Grass

Rue is hungry, and she suspects the others are too. They wander through the forest, and the sorts of trees start changing, from the dark evergreens so prominent in the Tangled Wood to a scattering of full leaved deciduous trees, and a small clearing beyond. Rue notices a stream in the clearing, tall grasses, places where small animals might make their homes.

“Look, Kael,” she says, gesturing with her chin towards the clearing. “We could hunt here, and fish, and forage.”

The older dragon nods. “You have a good eye. This place is perfect.”

“But — what do we do with Sunshower?” It was an issue she hadn’t anticipated until that very moment, and her heart sinks. “We can’t take her out hunting with us.”

“We’ll make her a little nest here,” he decides, after a moment. “She spends most of her time asleep anyway.” He starts gathering up some fallen tree branches, and he and Rue take the time to weave a little nest out of pine boughs.

“Here you go,” Kael coos, settling the baby dragon in amongst the sweet-scented branches. “Stay here, be good, we’ll be back for you soon.”

The two of them split up: Kael heads for the stream to fish, Rue hunts insects in the tall grass, deftly pouncing. She forgets herself for a time, like she’s playing, like she did when she was little and practicing hunting.

She’s startled by the sight of large creatures nearby: beastclan, of course, she realizes. Of course they would hunt in these spots too. They seem to be moving away from the clearing, towards the mountains, and she sighs softly in relief. And then she hears a noise, a little tiny squawking, and she can’t help but investigate.

It’s a tiny bird, a Raptorik, with a broken wing. And because she is who she is, she picks it up and brings it back with her to the place where Sunshower was sleeping.

Kael laughed at the sight of her juggling the sack of insects and the baby bird. “Another foundling!”

Rue joins in the laughter and settles down with her companions in the shade of the giant trees.
Progress: 8/150
[center]Day 3 [item=discipline] [/center] (Since the party is so small, this task will be skipped!)
Day 3
Discipline

(Since the party is so small, this task will be skipped!)

[center] Day 4 [item=onyx craylet] [/center] Kael can’t fault Rue for bringing the little Raptorik into their group. It’s what Talene would have done, he thinks. It’s - it’s honestly what [i]he[/i] would have done, come to think of it. It’s nearing nightfall; Kael has left the others in their temporary shelter to go scouting around the clearing one more time for anything useful he can find. It would be efficient to stay and hunt here for a time, but not really practical in the scheme of things. They have to transport their food stores with them, on top of bringing Sunshower and the baby bird - so they can’t stock too many things. It’ll be easier when the babies are bigger. He spots something interesting - some sort of box - and scoops it up to take back to the others. This will definitely be useful. [center][item=pelt-lined crate] (Progress - 12 of 150)
Day 4
Onyx Craylet

Kael can’t fault Rue for bringing the little Raptorik into their group. It’s what Talene would have done, he thinks. It’s - it’s honestly what he would have done, come to think of it.

It’s nearing nightfall; Kael has left the others in their temporary shelter to go scouting around the clearing one more time for anything useful he can find. It would be efficient to stay and hunt here for a time, but not really practical in the scheme of things. They have to transport their food stores with them, on top of bringing Sunshower and the baby bird - so they can’t stock too many things. It’ll be easier when the babies are bigger.

He spots something interesting - some sort of box - and scoops it up to take back to the others. This will definitely be useful.
Pelt-Lined Crate

(Progress - 12 of 150)
[center]Day 5 [item=scholar] [/center]
Day 5
Scholar
[center]Day 6 [item=berserker]
Day 6
Berserker
[center]Day 7 [item=brass steampunk tail bauble]