Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The Hiberlocke - A New Challenge
[center][size=7][font=papyrus]The Hiberlocke Guide[/font][/size] [i]A new locke for Flight Rising[/i][/center] Think Flight Rising already has enough variants of the classic [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/1904162#post_1904162]Pinkerlocke[/url]? Think again. Are you like me, where you love pinkerlockes, but can’t be bothered to spend a moment in the coliseum? Do [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2405765/1]timelockes[/url] just not have enough spice for you? If that’s the case, then hopefully this strikes your fancy a bit more. The hiberlocke, as the name implies, is meant to take advantage of the new hibernal den, but if you’re even more like me and cannot afford more slots, then another tab in your lair will do. This is mostly based off of a pinkerlocke, but has splashes of timelocke and original ideas here and there. This is also meant to be a bit of a reversal for those two challenges - there, you start with very few dragons, and build your way up. Here, you have almost all of your participants from the beginning. As with timelockes, this is meant to help with lore building, or just creating a side story not canon to your lair. [quote=How to Play][b]Basic Rules[/b] [LIST] [*]If a dragon dies, it is exalted. This is the core rule of every locke. [*]You’re allowed to dress your dragons and build their lore however you want. Since breeding is a part of a hiberlocke, it’s recommended that you make at least one couple. [*]Every update depends on what Pinkerton gives you that day. If you want to update multiple times a day, try a timelocke. [*]You cannot introduce outside dragons into the lair without picking up the appropriate item. You have to play with whatever you start with, or what you pick up. [/LIST] [b]Getting Started[/b] Take about 20-25 dragons and either place them in a new lair tab, or put them in a new hibernal den tab. Hibernal den is more effective, because you cannot breed or sell them, but lair tab is cheaper. These dragons can either be from your lair or fodder that you randomly bought. They could be exalted, so I wouldn’t use your finest dragons for this one. Pick 1-3 dragons out of the group and bring them to a separate tab in your actual lair. This is the tab for your active hiberlocke dragons. Whichever dragons you pick can either be determined by RNG or hand picked. If some of your group are on hibernal den cooldown, use those as your active dragons. The story here is that something happened to your lair. Maybe they all caught the plague, got imprisoned, or were possessed by the shade. It’s up to you. Your free group of 1-3 are the dragons that escaped or were unharmed, and their goal is to save the rest of their lair. It is possible for them to be cursed/infected/afflicted as well, depending on what is rolled later on. The locke is over when either all dragons are saved or all dragons are dead. If all are currently paralyzed by whatever curse/illness/etc has befallen the lair, use RNG to free one at random and continue. [b]Pinkerton Drops[/b] [b]Food[/b]: Challenge time! [quote=Challenge Rules]I don’t like the coliseum, so this locke doesn’t use it. Instead, we have challenges based on rolling. There’s three different modes you can use. [i]Easy Mode[/i]: Set an RNG for 1-50 and roll. If you roll a 5 or below, an active dragon is in danger. Roll to see who it is, then flip a coin. If it’s heads, the dragon is fine. If it’s tails, the dragon goes into the hibernal den/alternate lair tab because they fell victim to whatever happened to the rest of the lair. [i]Neutral Mode[/i]: Set an RNG for 1-50 and roll. If you roll a 5 or below, an active dragon is in danger. Roll to see who it is, then set RNG for 1-3 and roll. If it’s a 1, the dragon is fine. If it’s 2, the dragon goes in the hibernal den/alternate tab. If it’s a 3, the dragon dies and must be exalted. [i]Hard Mode[/i]: Same as easy mode, except that if a tails is flipped, the dragon dies instead of going into hibernation.[/quote] [b]Materials[/b]: Free writing day! Write about your dragons trying to find help for those currently trapped by the curse, or maybe have them reflect on how this all occurred. If you ever have a bad case of writers block, just start writing whatever’s on your mind, then edit it a bit. If needed, you could just skip a day, but that’s boring. [b]Trinkets[/b]: Show off some art of your hiberlocke! You can do it yourself, or you can commission art or showcase some fan art. Draw whatever you feel like doing, whether it’s scenes from the story, dragons, gijinkas, whatever. If you’re just not the artistic type and can’t afford to commission something, no worries! Just treat it like a materials day. [b]Familiars[/b]: A dragon can be freed! [quote=Freeing a Dragon Rules]Like with challenge days, there are three ways to deal with familiars. [i]Easy Mode[/i]: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den. That dragon is now freed and joins your team of active dragons! [i]Neutral Mode[/i]: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den and then roll a 1-4 RNG. If it’s a 1-3, the dragon is free and joins your active team. If it’s a 4, nothing happens and the dragon remains in your hibernal den. [i]Hard Mode[/i]: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den and then roll a 1-4 RNG. If it’s a 1 or a 2, the dragon is free and joins your active team. If it’s a 3, nothing happens and the dragon remains in your hibernal den. If it’s a 4, something goes wrong and the dragon dies, so they must be exalted.[/quote] [b]Apparel[/b]: Breed two dragons or buy a new one! If two of your dragons are available to breed and it makes sense lore-wise, put them on a nest. When the eggs hatch, flip a coin for every egg. If it’s tails, that child dies. Every clutch must have a living egg, so if none survive, choose one or have RNG do it for you. If it doesn’t make sense for two of your dragons to breed or they physically can’t, buy a new dragon! Either open one of those prized unhatched eggs or save some fodder from the auction house. You have to buy the cheapest on the market, but if multiple are tied then it’s your choice. You’re welcome to gene and dress your new dragon however you want. [b]Battle Items[/b]: Well, this can’t be good! [quote=Battle Items Rules]This one is a bit different, and maybe even deadlier than a challenge. It depends on how you play it. [i]Easy Mode[/i]: Flip a coin. If it’s heads, nothing happens. Otherwise, use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. Flip another coin. If it’s heads, the dragon goes in the hibernal den (if they’re already there, nothing happens). If it’s tails, the dragon dies. [i]Neutral Mode[/i]: Use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. Flip a coin. If it’s heads, the dragon goes in the hibernal den (if they’re already there, nothing happens). If it’s tails, the dragon dies. [i]Hard Mode[/i]: Use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. That dragon is automatically dead.[/quote] [b]Game Over[/b] There are two ways to end the game. [LIST] [*]If you have at least three active dragons and none in the hibernal den, the hiberlocke was a success! However many died along the way is irrelevant, although it might make it a bit of a bittersweet ending. [*]If all of your dragons but two or less are dead, it’s an automatic loss. You can’t buy more to replace them. [*]If you manage to have no active dragons but three or more are hibernating, either choose or use RNG to choose one to become active, and then continue the locke. [/LIST] [b]Additional Notes[/b] This is just an idea I had when the hibernal dens came out, and since I haven’t tried it yet, I have no idea if it works well. More rules might be added to make it more interesting.[/quote] If you choose to do one of these, please tell me! You can find mine [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2817468]here[/url]. It is currently active.
The Hiberlocke Guide

A new locke for Flight Rising

Think Flight Rising already has enough variants of the classic Pinkerlocke? Think again.

Are you like me, where you love pinkerlockes, but can’t be bothered to spend a moment in the coliseum? Do timelockes just not have enough spice for you? If that’s the case, then hopefully this strikes your fancy a bit more.

The hiberlocke, as the name implies, is meant to take advantage of the new hibernal den, but if you’re even more like me and cannot afford more slots, then another tab in your lair will do. This is mostly based off of a pinkerlocke, but has splashes of timelocke and original ideas here and there. This is also meant to be a bit of a reversal for those two challenges - there, you start with very few dragons, and build your way up. Here, you have almost all of your participants from the beginning. As with timelockes, this is meant to help with lore building, or just creating a side story not canon to your lair.

How to Play wrote:
Basic Rules
  • If a dragon dies, it is exalted. This is the core rule of every locke.
  • You’re allowed to dress your dragons and build their lore however you want. Since breeding is a part of a hiberlocke, it’s recommended that you make at least one couple.
  • Every update depends on what Pinkerton gives you that day. If you want to update multiple times a day, try a timelocke.
  • You cannot introduce outside dragons into the lair without picking up the appropriate item. You have to play with whatever you start with, or what you pick up.

Getting Started

Take about 20-25 dragons and either place them in a new lair tab, or put them in a new hibernal den tab. Hibernal den is more effective, because you cannot breed or sell them, but lair tab is cheaper. These dragons can either be from your lair or fodder that you randomly bought. They could be exalted, so I wouldn’t use your finest dragons for this one.

Pick 1-3 dragons out of the group and bring them to a separate tab in your actual lair. This is the tab for your active hiberlocke dragons. Whichever dragons you pick can either be determined by RNG or hand picked. If some of your group are on hibernal den cooldown, use those as your active dragons.

The story here is that something happened to your lair. Maybe they all caught the plague, got imprisoned, or were possessed by the shade. It’s up to you. Your free group of 1-3 are the dragons that escaped or were unharmed, and their goal is to save the rest of their lair. It is possible for them to be cursed/infected/afflicted as well, depending on what is rolled later on. The locke is over when either all dragons are saved or all dragons are dead. If all are currently paralyzed by whatever curse/illness/etc has befallen the lair, use RNG to free one at random and continue.

Pinkerton Drops

Food: Challenge time!
Challenge Rules wrote:
I don’t like the coliseum, so this locke doesn’t use it. Instead, we have challenges based on rolling. There’s three different modes you can use.

Easy Mode: Set an RNG for 1-50 and roll. If you roll a 5 or below, an active dragon is in danger. Roll to see who it is, then flip a coin. If it’s heads, the dragon is fine. If it’s tails, the dragon goes into the hibernal den/alternate lair tab because they fell victim to whatever happened to the rest of the lair.

Neutral Mode: Set an RNG for 1-50 and roll. If you roll a 5 or below, an active dragon is in danger. Roll to see who it is, then set RNG for 1-3 and roll. If it’s a 1, the dragon is fine. If it’s 2, the dragon goes in the hibernal den/alternate tab. If it’s a 3, the dragon dies and must be exalted.

Hard Mode: Same as easy mode, except that if a tails is flipped, the dragon dies instead of going into hibernation.

Materials: Free writing day! Write about your dragons trying to find help for those currently trapped by the curse, or maybe have them reflect on how this all occurred. If you ever have a bad case of writers block, just start writing whatever’s on your mind, then edit it a bit. If needed, you could just skip a day, but that’s boring.

Trinkets: Show off some art of your hiberlocke! You can do it yourself, or you can commission art or showcase some fan art. Draw whatever you feel like doing, whether it’s scenes from the story, dragons, gijinkas, whatever. If you’re just not the artistic type and can’t afford to commission something, no worries! Just treat it like a materials day.

Familiars: A dragon can be freed!
Freeing a Dragon Rules wrote:
Like with challenge days, there are three ways to deal with familiars.

Easy Mode: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den. That dragon is now freed and joins your team of active dragons!

Neutral Mode: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den and then roll a 1-4 RNG. If it’s a 1-3, the dragon is free and joins your active team. If it’s a 4, nothing happens and the dragon remains in your hibernal den.

Hard Mode: Use RNG to pick a random dragon of those in the hibernal den and then roll a 1-4 RNG. If it’s a 1 or a 2, the dragon is free and joins your active team. If it’s a 3, nothing happens and the dragon remains in your hibernal den. If it’s a 4, something goes wrong and the dragon dies, so they must be exalted.

Apparel: Breed two dragons or buy a new one! If two of your dragons are available to breed and it makes sense lore-wise, put them on a nest. When the eggs hatch, flip a coin for every egg. If it’s tails, that child dies. Every clutch must have a living egg, so if none survive, choose one or have RNG do it for you.

If it doesn’t make sense for two of your dragons to breed or they physically can’t, buy a new dragon! Either open one of those prized unhatched eggs or save some fodder from the auction house. You have to buy the cheapest on the market, but if multiple are tied then it’s your choice. You’re welcome to gene and dress your new dragon however you want.

Battle Items: Well, this can’t be good!
Battle Items Rules wrote:
This one is a bit different, and maybe even deadlier than a challenge. It depends on how you play it.

Easy Mode: Flip a coin. If it’s heads, nothing happens. Otherwise, use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. Flip another coin. If it’s heads, the dragon goes in the hibernal den (if they’re already there, nothing happens). If it’s tails, the dragon dies.

Neutral Mode: Use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. Flip a coin. If it’s heads, the dragon goes in the hibernal den (if they’re already there, nothing happens). If it’s tails, the dragon dies.

Hard Mode: Use RNG to find a random member of your tribe, active or not. That dragon is automatically dead.

Game Over

There are two ways to end the game.
  • If you have at least three active dragons and none in the hibernal den, the hiberlocke was a success! However many died along the way is irrelevant, although it might make it a bit of a bittersweet ending.
  • If all of your dragons but two or less are dead, it’s an automatic loss. You can’t buy more to replace them.
  • If you manage to have no active dragons but three or more are hibernating, either choose or use RNG to choose one to become active, and then continue the locke.

Additional Notes

This is just an idea I had when the hibernal dens came out, and since I haven’t tried it yet, I have no idea if it works well. More rules might be added to make it more interesting.

If you choose to do one of these, please tell me!

You can find mine here. It is currently active.
Live today. Don’t wait for tomorrow.
sz13nwR.png
untitled_by_someoneanrgything-dbxcqk7.png
@Relics Ooh, this sounds interesting! I like how the 'locke uses both the active lair and the hibernal den. Also, the fact that you start with most of your participants and slowly kill them off one by one instead of gaining them on the way is really cool. I'd honestly start one but I already have a pinkerlocke and a nuzlocke running and they're exhausting my creative juices. But this is honestly really cool.
@Relics Ooh, this sounds interesting! I like how the 'locke uses both the active lair and the hibernal den. Also, the fact that you start with most of your participants and slowly kill them off one by one instead of gaining them on the way is really cool. I'd honestly start one but I already have a pinkerlocke and a nuzlocke running and they're exhausting my creative juices. But this is honestly really cool.
NPRRENH.png Pvpj7y6.png orOASL4.png aromantic-hearts-alt.png
Thank you! I had no idea if this idea had been done before, but I thought it would be neat to try it out. I’ll be doing one of my own shortly to test for deadliness and difficulty.
Thank you! I had no idea if this idea had been done before, but I thought it would be neat to try it out. I’ll be doing one of my own shortly to test for deadliness and difficulty.
sz13nwR.png
i read through this, thought it was cool, then read through it again and went "hm. Patapon 3" because that's just how the plot starts

a cool idea nonetheless! maybe i should try this once my fodderlocke ends and i have enough space to spare...
i read through this, thought it was cool, then read through it again and went "hm. Patapon 3" because that's just how the plot starts

a cool idea nonetheless! maybe i should try this once my fodderlocke ends and i have enough space to spare...
I’ve personally never heard of Patapon 3, but it sounds neat.

I’m currently setting up my own hiberlocke. You can find it here, if anyone is interested.
I’ve personally never heard of Patapon 3, but it sounds neat.

I’m currently setting up my own hiberlocke. You can find it here, if anyone is interested.
sz13nwR.png
Edited the rules a bit to make neutral and hard mode less intense on familiars. If I did the calculations correctly, familiars give you a 100% chance of freeing someone on easy mode, 75% chance on neutral mode, and a 50% chance on hard mode.

After playing through my hiberlocke for over a week, I can verify that neutral mode is about as difficult as I intended, with the exception of the old familiar rule (which has since been fixed).
Edited the rules a bit to make neutral and hard mode less intense on familiars. If I did the calculations correctly, familiars give you a 100% chance of freeing someone on easy mode, 75% chance on neutral mode, and a 50% chance on hard mode.

After playing through my hiberlocke for over a week, I can verify that neutral mode is about as difficult as I intended, with the exception of the old familiar rule (which has since been fixed).
sz13nwR.png
@everburn
Just so I can find it!
@everburn
Just so I can find it!
*hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock**hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a rock* *hands you a