Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Pinkerlocke] - Clan of the Phoenix
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[center][b]Day 12[/b][/center] [center][i]Battle Item[/i] [item=Berserker][/center] [rule] [b]Coin Flip: Heads. DEATH STREAK.[/b] Uh oh. Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into battle. [rule] "NAAL!" Glidra jerks out of her sleep, looking around in a daze. Shadesong curls tighter around their clutch, but she pulls herself to her feet. It sounds like Prism is scolding Naal over something, probably for playing with the reagents without supervision again. As she wove herself around the protective rocky outcroppings surrounding their nest, she heard running, and Prism skid around the rocks. "Glidra! Naal ran off into the forest, and I can't get him to come back!" She froze for the briefest of seconds; Time could stall for just a moment while she collected herself. Her eggs needed her here, but Naal was their child, too. And he was only a child. She pulled herself back into the flow of time, catching back onto Prism's words as his speech returned to a normal pace. "-into the grove! It's dangerous, that's the only place I've refused to go searching for supplies!" Glidra snapped her tail, landing a quick thwack onto Shadesong's flank, bringing him out of sleep and into reality as quickly as possible. They had to move fast. "...Prism, I'll have to trust you. Watch after our eggs." Prism nodded, curling into the warmth of the nest that Shadesong had left absent. Shadesong, pulling his senses back to him as he awoke, turned his confused expression on Glidra, a silent questioning of the situation. "Naal's run into the dark grove. Lets move." And they took off. --- The two were adept at speed and stealth through the trees; they had spent a considerable amount of time evading predators on their journey- their family was so small, so vulnerable. But when the small shriek near them let itself be known, both dragons took a sharp turn to crash through the brambles. Shadesong dove in front of the small child, taking the full brunt force of the talons of a massive wildwood owl. Glidra crashed into the beast, sinking her teeth in biting with all she had. The owl slain, she turned to Shadesong, poised to block any new threat, but a severe gash across his side. Naal began crying, running up to Shadesong and nuzzling his neck. "It's alright, little one," she sighed, pulling out a potion from the bag at her flank, "...he's lucky I sleep with this at my side, nowadays." Shadesong gratefully took the potion, grabbing a binding of gauze to quickly wrap around the wound. It would do. They just had to make it back. At the sound of a snapped branch, a strangler made itself known, leaping from the tree it had nestled itself into above them. Glidra pulled her claws back for a strike, positioning herself, before Naal let loose a bolt of white mana, briefly stunning the creature. But surprise never got the best of a dragon whose Time was her own. Slashing through the monster, she quickly pulled Naal up onto her back. Checking that Shadesong was on his feet, they took off before the beasts of the forest found the source of the cry that the young child had made. They were lucky this time, but Naal did not show an interest in running off again.
Day 12
Battle Item
Berserker

Coin Flip: Heads. DEATH STREAK. Uh oh. Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into battle.

"NAAL!"

Glidra jerks out of her sleep, looking around in a daze. Shadesong curls tighter around their clutch, but she pulls herself to her feet. It sounds like Prism is scolding Naal over something, probably for playing with the reagents without supervision again.

As she wove herself around the protective rocky outcroppings surrounding their nest, she heard running, and Prism skid around the rocks.

"Glidra! Naal ran off into the forest, and I can't get him to come back!"

She froze for the briefest of seconds; Time could stall for just a moment while she collected herself. Her eggs needed her here, but Naal was their child, too. And he was only a child.

She pulled herself back into the flow of time, catching back onto Prism's words as his speech returned to a normal pace.

"-into the grove! It's dangerous, that's the only place I've refused to go searching for supplies!"

Glidra snapped her tail, landing a quick thwack onto Shadesong's flank, bringing him out of sleep and into reality as quickly as possible. They had to move fast.

"...Prism, I'll have to trust you. Watch after our eggs."

Prism nodded, curling into the warmth of the nest that Shadesong had left absent. Shadesong, pulling his senses back to him as he awoke, turned his confused expression on Glidra, a silent questioning of the situation.

"Naal's run into the dark grove. Lets move."

And they took off.

---

The two were adept at speed and stealth through the trees; they had spent a considerable amount of time evading predators on their journey- their family was so small, so vulnerable. But when the small shriek near them let itself be known, both dragons took a sharp turn to crash through the brambles.

Shadesong dove in front of the small child, taking the full brunt force of the talons of a massive wildwood owl. Glidra crashed into the beast, sinking her teeth in biting with all she had.

The owl slain, she turned to Shadesong, poised to block any new threat, but a severe gash across his side. Naal began crying, running up to Shadesong and nuzzling his neck.

"It's alright, little one," she sighed, pulling out a potion from the bag at her flank, "...he's lucky I sleep with this at my side, nowadays."

Shadesong gratefully took the potion, grabbing a binding of gauze to quickly wrap around the wound. It would do. They just had to make it back.

At the sound of a snapped branch, a strangler made itself known, leaping from the tree it had nestled itself into above them. Glidra pulled her claws back for a strike, positioning herself, before Naal let loose a bolt of white mana, briefly stunning the creature.

But surprise never got the best of a dragon whose Time was her own.

Slashing through the monster, she quickly pulled Naal up onto her back. Checking that Shadesong was on his feet, they took off before the beasts of the forest found the source of the cry that the young child had made.

They were lucky this time, but Naal did not show an interest in running off again.
eZCszQ2.png1GLQpTC.pngV4alZnn.png
[center][b]Day 13[/b][/center] [center][i]Food: Seafood[/i] [item=Pastel Scallop][/center] [rule] [b]Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into Wilderness.[/b] [rule] Glidra hums softly for her eggs, nuzzling each one before looking up to Prism, nodding as he takes his place around the clutch. "It has to be done. We need the supplies, and we've exhausted the resources outside of the grove. We'll likely need to move to a new area, soon. The land here is not enough to sustain us." Naal clung closely to Shadesong's side, nearly tripping him up as he walked. A glance from Glidra had him correcting himself, giving Shadesong enough room to walk freely. If only just barely. Nodding to Shadesong, he trotted off to go prepare a few last-minute emergency supplies for the trip. She crouched by the small child, nuzzling the top of his head. "I know you're scared for him, for everyone. But we are prepared this time, and we are stronger. You, and your magic- you've grown so much stronger already, little one. Remember how we do this." Naal nodded, face settling on a determined expression "Fight as if you can, prepare as if you can't." She smiled warmly, humming and standing back up to her full height, "That's the motto. Remember it well." With Shadesong's return, they headed into the grove. -- Naal deftly dodges a cockatrice's heavy blow, jumping out of the way and turning his maw at the beast mid-flight, letting loose a blast of white mana. "He's a natural," Shadesong whispers under his breath, just enough so that Glidra could hear. Naal had indeed quickly adapted to battle, and his white magic was invaluable in preventing serious injury. She can wonder, when they're in less danger, about having him learn healing magic next, she decides. After a final blow to the neck brings the cockatrice down, Naal pops up out of his fighting stance, bounding over to the herbs and plantains planted at the edge of the meadow that the monster had been stalking. "We'll need to start stocking stronger potions soon- has Shade been helping you brew, Naal?" The small child nods enthusiastically, plucking the plants and pulling out a few in particular, fanning them in his claws, "the feverfew is in smaller doses in the stronger mixes, but it's really important to add! One time I left it out, and it starting bubbling and turning this weird brown color-" Glidra covered a snort with her claw, nudging him forward, "Alright, lets gather the other reagents before we head out." Naal carefully packed the leaves into his own satchel, and they headed deeper into the grove, more confident that, after a pack of bloodthirsty cockatrices, the trio could handle their own.
Day 13
Food: Seafood
Pastel Scallop

Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into Wilderness.

Glidra hums softly for her eggs, nuzzling each one before looking up to Prism, nodding as he takes his place around the clutch.

"It has to be done. We need the supplies, and we've exhausted the resources outside of the grove. We'll likely need to move to a new area, soon. The land here is not enough to sustain us."

Naal clung closely to Shadesong's side, nearly tripping him up as he walked. A glance from Glidra had him correcting himself, giving Shadesong enough room to walk freely. If only just barely.

Nodding to Shadesong, he trotted off to go prepare a few last-minute emergency supplies for the trip. She crouched by the small child, nuzzling the top of his head.

"I know you're scared for him, for everyone. But we are prepared this time, and we are stronger. You, and your magic- you've grown so much stronger already, little one. Remember how we do this."

Naal nodded, face settling on a determined expression "Fight as if you can, prepare as if you can't."

She smiled warmly, humming and standing back up to her full height, "That's the motto. Remember it well."

With Shadesong's return, they headed into the grove.

--

Naal deftly dodges a cockatrice's heavy blow, jumping out of the way and turning his maw at the beast mid-flight, letting loose a blast of white mana.

"He's a natural," Shadesong whispers under his breath, just enough so that Glidra could hear. Naal had indeed quickly adapted to battle, and his white magic was invaluable in preventing serious injury. She can wonder, when they're in less danger, about having him learn healing magic next, she decides.

After a final blow to the neck brings the cockatrice down, Naal pops up out of his fighting stance, bounding over to the herbs and plantains planted at the edge of the meadow that the monster had been stalking.

"We'll need to start stocking stronger potions soon- has Shade been helping you brew, Naal?"

The small child nods enthusiastically, plucking the plants and pulling out a few in particular, fanning them in his claws, "the feverfew is in smaller doses in the stronger mixes, but it's really important to add! One time I left it out, and it starting bubbling and turning this weird brown color-"

Glidra covered a snort with her claw, nudging him forward, "Alright, lets gather the other reagents before we head out."

Naal carefully packed the leaves into his own satchel, and they headed deeper into the grove, more confident that, after a pack of bloodthirsty cockatrices, the trio could handle their own.
[center][b]Day 14[/b][/center] [center][i]Trinket[/i] [item=Forest Field Guide][/center] [rule] [b]Roll. Battle Item roll: Tails.[/b] Nothing happens. But.. Glidra and Shadesong's clutch hatched! [rule] He always heard it. The crying. He'd gotten used to it; after all, he couldn't seem to make it stop. And he was the only one who could hear it. It had gotten a bit softer, over time. He'd like to think that his actions of helping others had soothed it, and that the mournful air that hung around his family and wept could itself be helped. Then he heard the shrieking. Naal went from a dead sleep to upright and ready to fight in less than a second. And he wasn't so sure that this sound was in his head this time. He saw Prism bolting across meadow towards- The shrieking was coming from the nest. He lept after Prism, at his tail by the time that he'd rounded the ledge of the rocky enclave into the nest. His breath caught. Glidra, the powerful leader, pride of the family, his strong and courageous mother, was knocked out cold, bleeding from a heavy wound across her side. Shadesong was crouched low over the clutch, sharp fans directed outwards. There were harpies everywhere. Naal opened his mouth and let loose the largest blast of white mana that he could muster, spraying the barrage of beasts. Several took a tumble, directing themselves midair to aim their fall off the cliff so that they wouldn't hit ground before they could recover. He let out a deep roar, Prism, and eventually Shadesong joining in. The harpies, appearing to realize that the dragons could soon have the upper hand, flocked up high into the sky and took off. Shadesong screeched, flapping his wings violently and taking off into the air. Prism took off after him, tackling him out of the sky. "DO YOU WANT TO SAVE WHAT YOU HAVE? We can't take them, Shade! We've lost!" Beneath where Shadesong had lie was only a single egg. The rest were gone. --- Glidra had awoken not long after her injuries were bandaged and cleaned. She appeared stoic, but quiet tears fell from her face. Between her front claws where she lay, her only remaining egg laid. Shadesong was pacing ruts into the ground in the meadow, staring lost up into the sky. Within a moment, Prism perked his head up from where he was still tending to Glidra's wounds. He jumped over to the egg, staring intently. Shadesong, picking up on his movement, bounded over, watching his egg with baited breath. There was a small shake, and then a crack. A small, sharp nose pushed out at the shell around it before headbutting a way out, tumbling out into a splay before her parents. The small Guardian hatchling shook its head and looked up at the dragons around it. Glidra choked on a sob, but was a happy sound. They still had one.
Day 14
Trinket
Forest Field Guide

Roll. Battle Item roll: Tails. Nothing happens. But.. Glidra and Shadesong's clutch hatched!

He always heard it. The crying.

He'd gotten used to it; after all, he couldn't seem to make it stop. And he was the only one who could hear it.

It had gotten a bit softer, over time. He'd like to think that his actions of helping others had soothed it, and that the mournful air that hung around his family and wept could itself be helped.

Then he heard the shrieking.

Naal went from a dead sleep to upright and ready to fight in less than a second. And he wasn't so sure that this sound was in his head this time. He saw Prism bolting across meadow towards-

The shrieking was coming from the nest.

He lept after Prism, at his tail by the time that he'd rounded the ledge of the rocky enclave into the nest.

His breath caught. Glidra, the powerful leader, pride of the family, his strong and courageous mother, was knocked out cold, bleeding from a heavy wound across her side. Shadesong was crouched low over the clutch, sharp fans directed outwards. There were harpies everywhere.

Naal opened his mouth and let loose the largest blast of white mana that he could muster, spraying the barrage of beasts. Several took a tumble, directing themselves midair to aim their fall off the cliff so that they wouldn't hit ground before they could recover. He let out a deep roar, Prism, and eventually Shadesong joining in.

The harpies, appearing to realize that the dragons could soon have the upper hand, flocked up high into the sky and took off.

Shadesong screeched, flapping his wings violently and taking off into the air. Prism took off after him, tackling him out of the sky.

"DO YOU WANT TO SAVE WHAT YOU HAVE? We can't take them, Shade! We've lost!"

Beneath where Shadesong had lie was only a single egg. The rest were gone.

---

Glidra had awoken not long after her injuries were bandaged and cleaned. She appeared stoic, but quiet tears fell from her face. Between her front claws where she lay, her only remaining egg laid.

Shadesong was pacing ruts into the ground in the meadow, staring lost up into the sky.

Within a moment, Prism perked his head up from where he was still tending to Glidra's wounds. He jumped over to the egg, staring intently. Shadesong, picking up on his movement, bounded over, watching his egg with baited breath.

There was a small shake, and then a crack. A small, sharp nose pushed out at the shell around it before headbutting a way out, tumbling out into a splay before her parents. The small Guardian hatchling shook its head and looked up at the dragons around it. Glidra choked on a sob, but was a happy sound.

They still had one.
[center][b]Day 15[/b][/center] [center][i]Food: Plant[/i] [item=Wild Onion][/center] [rule] [b]Shadesong and Naal head into Wilderness.[/b] [rule] "Just like before. This'll be a quick trip, we just need to gather some meat and fish." Naal nodded, looking back to his new sibling. She was curled up, fast asleep between Glidra's front claws, under the cover of dense brush. Prism lay against her unwounded side, all eyes open. Watching. "Your mother is still injured, and we need more than one to watch after Riln. They'll be fine, I promise." Naal hesitantly followed after his father into the grove. It was daylight, and the chance of a second attack was low, but not a single one of them could feel safe after last night.
Day 15
Food: Plant
Wild Onion

Shadesong and Naal head into Wilderness.

"Just like before. This'll be a quick trip, we just need to gather some meat and fish."

Naal nodded, looking back to his new sibling. She was curled up, fast asleep between Glidra's front claws, under the cover of dense brush. Prism lay against her unwounded side, all eyes open. Watching.

"Your mother is still injured, and we need more than one to watch after Riln. They'll be fine, I promise."

Naal hesitantly followed after his father into the grove. It was daylight, and the chance of a second attack was low, but not a single one of them could feel safe after last night.
Today was an update catch-up spam, starting at the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2800082/2#post_41879181]11th day[/url]! [rule] [center][b]Day 16[/b][/center] [center][i]Food: Seafood[/i] [item=Sparkling Crayfish][/center] [rule] [b]Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into Wilderness.[/b] [rule] Glidra was hesitant to leave her youngest child behind, but left her in the hands of Prism. The Shadow-elemental dragon was adept at hiding, and she could more easily protect her first child on the long foraging trip they were about to embark on if she was by his and Shadesong's side. The trio departed into the woods. The air around them was thick with morning fog, adding a harsher chill on top of the typically freezing air of the Southern Icefield. They dispatched beasts through the grove quickly. Naal's skills in magic had grown, and he had become quite the battler. He was growing older, stronger. The trees around him no longer sparked the same fear that they had. Which is what made his sense of growing unease feel all the stranger as they gathered supplies in through the woods. He stepped carefully about the wood, keeping on edge. He'd learned to trust his instincts, and those instincts were muttering softly in the background. He packed the last herb into his satchel, and Glidra called them to head home. He flapped his wings nervously, and stretched out his senses, using his magic to scan the area. The muttering grew louder. The ground here spoke to him. There were footsteps, a group of them, gathering here. Maybe hours ago. Muffled speaking. Silence. A quiet caw of a raptor. "Mother," Naal froze where he stood, turning to face Glidra. "We have to leave. Now. The harpies are coming back."
Today was an update catch-up spam, starting at the 11th day!

Day 16
Food: Seafood
Sparkling Crayfish

Glidra was hesitant to leave her youngest child behind, but left her in the hands of Prism. The Shadow-elemental dragon was adept at hiding, and she could more easily protect her first child on the long foraging trip they were about to embark on if she was by his and Shadesong's side.

The trio departed into the woods. The air around them was thick with morning fog, adding a harsher chill on top of the typically freezing air of the Southern Icefield.

They dispatched beasts through the grove quickly. Naal's skills in magic had grown, and he had become quite the battler. He was growing older, stronger. The trees around him no longer sparked the same fear that they had. Which is what made his sense of growing unease feel all the stranger as they gathered supplies in through the woods.

He stepped carefully about the wood, keeping on edge. He'd learned to trust his instincts, and those instincts were muttering softly in the background.

He packed the last herb into his satchel, and Glidra called them to head home. He flapped his wings nervously, and stretched out his senses, using his magic to scan the area. The muttering grew louder. The ground here spoke to him. There were footsteps, a group of them, gathering here. Maybe hours ago. Muffled speaking. Silence.

A quiet caw of a raptor.

"Mother," Naal froze where he stood, turning to face Glidra.

"We have to leave. Now. The harpies are coming back."
[center][b]Day 17[/b][/center] [center][i]Trinket[/i] [item=Steel Longneck Helmet][/center] [rule] [b]Art.[/b] A teenage Naal, proudly holding the feverfew that he found! [rule] [center][url=https://i.imgur.com/9Y4scZd.png][img]https://i.imgur.com/9Y4scZd.png[/img][/url][/center]
Day 17
Trinket
Steel Longneck Helmet

Art. A teenage Naal, proudly holding the feverfew that he found!

9Y4scZd.png
[center][b]Day 18[/b][/center] [center][i]Material[/i] [item=Glowing Tail][/center] [rule] [b]Lore.[/b] The clan moves onto new territory in order to escape a second harpy attack. [rule] Shadesong picks up Riln by the scruff of her neck, looking back to ensure that all other supplies had been packed. The small Guardian was growing quickly, and it wouldn't be long before he would no longer be able to carry her- she grow at twice the rate Naal had, at that. Prism ran his long tail across the width of the meadow, wiping away traces of tracks that they had left. Naal darted along opposite of him, attempting to help speed up the process. "I think that's everything. Naal, stay close to your father's side." The small Coatl nodded, heading over to Shadesong and moving under where Riln hung from his jaws, easing her instead to rest on his back. Riln stretched out and curled her front claws to rest about Naal's shoulders, securing herself to his back. Shadesong hesitated for a moment, watching his son and daughter, before seeming to come to a decision on the matter. He turned his focus back to his mate as the group left the first home that had housed them since they fled. --- The forested icelands gradually turned into windswept tundra. Dunes rose up from the ground, dipping just enough to allow brief reprieves from the chilling gusts. "..Prism, alert me of the first cavern that you see. Everyone else keep a look out." The many-eyed dragon nodded, spreading his focus across the entire area. There was no groves, but stubby shrubs dotted the hills and beyond. Disturbed swatches of ice and dirt form small holes, just big enough for a rabbit. Shards of ice sprung from the otherwise smooth landscape, throwing long streams of light across the tundra in the setting sunlight. It was not a conventional land to live off of, but the food was plenty and the magic strong here. Letting his eyes follow a trail of holes along a slopeside, he noticed rockier outcroppings. The crags cleft in two, creating a narrow passageway into the space beyond it. "Glidra, upcoming to our left, roughly half a mile." The large Guardian let out a quiet sigh, something Prism doubts any but himself had heard. The journey was exhausting, and they had been traveling nearly the entire day; it was a stroke of luck that they found safe quarters before the sun was fully behind the horizon. --- Shadesong took slow, cautious steps toward the cavern entrance, crouched low to the ground and creating as little noise as possible. He reached the edge of the crag and stretched out his neck to give a small glance at the interior. A short passageway extended for about twice his length before opening up into a larger area. Creeping gently around the corner, he stalked up to the end of the passageway, blinking to adjust to the darker lighting. Before him spread an empty hollow, walls pock-marked with a few small enclaves, large enough for a decently-sized Guardian to fit snugly. Dry grasses were scattered about his feet. The area smelled faintly of dragons- but dragons long since gone. This cave had been the home of a lair once, but that time had been long, long ago. And, exposed to the open air as it was, he felt comfortable in the knowledge that no Sickness awaited them here. "It's perfect." Shadesong let his voice rise enough to echo in the cavern, alerting the rest of his family to come closer. Glidra was at his side, taking in a deep breath. She appeared much less wary than she had during the journey, during the aftermath of the harpy attack. He supposes that a feeling of relief this powerful could make any dragon content. "Children, Prism, Shadesong- we've found our new home."
Day 18
Material
Glowing Tail

Lore. The clan moves onto new territory in order to escape a second harpy attack.

Shadesong picks up Riln by the scruff of her neck, looking back to ensure that all other supplies had been packed. The small Guardian was growing quickly, and it wouldn't be long before he would no longer be able to carry her- she grow at twice the rate Naal had, at that.

Prism ran his long tail across the width of the meadow, wiping away traces of tracks that they had left. Naal darted along opposite of him, attempting to help speed up the process.

"I think that's everything. Naal, stay close to your father's side."

The small Coatl nodded, heading over to Shadesong and moving under where Riln hung from his jaws, easing her instead to rest on his back. Riln stretched out and curled her front claws to rest about Naal's shoulders, securing herself to his back.

Shadesong hesitated for a moment, watching his son and daughter, before seeming to come to a decision on the matter. He turned his focus back to his mate as the group left the first home that had housed them since they fled.

---

The forested icelands gradually turned into windswept tundra. Dunes rose up from the ground, dipping just enough to allow brief reprieves from the chilling gusts.

"..Prism, alert me of the first cavern that you see. Everyone else keep a look out."

The many-eyed dragon nodded, spreading his focus across the entire area. There was no groves, but stubby shrubs dotted the hills and beyond. Disturbed swatches of ice and dirt form small holes, just big enough for a rabbit. Shards of ice sprung from the otherwise smooth landscape, throwing long streams of light across the tundra in the setting sunlight. It was not a conventional land to live off of, but the food was plenty and the magic strong here.

Letting his eyes follow a trail of holes along a slopeside, he noticed rockier outcroppings. The crags cleft in two, creating a narrow passageway into the space beyond it.

"Glidra, upcoming to our left, roughly half a mile."

The large Guardian let out a quiet sigh, something Prism doubts any but himself had heard. The journey was exhausting, and they had been traveling nearly the entire day; it was a stroke of luck that they found safe quarters before the sun was fully behind the horizon.

---

Shadesong took slow, cautious steps toward the cavern entrance, crouched low to the ground and creating as little noise as possible. He reached the edge of the crag and stretched out his neck to give a small glance at the interior. A short passageway extended for about twice his length before opening up into a larger area.

Creeping gently around the corner, he stalked up to the end of the passageway, blinking to adjust to the darker lighting. Before him spread an empty hollow, walls pock-marked with a few small enclaves, large enough for a decently-sized Guardian to fit snugly. Dry grasses were scattered about his feet.

The area smelled faintly of dragons- but dragons long since gone. This cave had been the home of a lair once, but that time had been long, long ago. And, exposed to the open air as it was, he felt comfortable in the knowledge that no Sickness awaited them here.

"It's perfect." Shadesong let his voice rise enough to echo in the cavern, alerting the rest of his family to come closer.

Glidra was at his side, taking in a deep breath. She appeared much less wary than she had during the journey, during the aftermath of the harpy attack. He supposes that a feeling of relief this powerful could make any dragon content.

"Children, Prism, Shadesong- we've found our new home."
[center][b]Day 19[/b][/center] [center][i]Apparel[/i] [item=Pretty Buttercup Arm Bow][/center] [rule] [b][url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=58358700]Loretta[/url] is adopted.[/b] No dragons were available to breed, so a new hatchling joins the clan! She is raised by Glidra and Shadesong. [rule] "Wait." Prism stops midway through the threshold, all eyes instantly trained onto a small pile of dark stones that was tucked away in one of the alcoves. The entire group tenses, ready to attack, before he waves a claw to signal that all is well. "Prism, please refrain from blurting concerning things when everyone is on edge." "I apologize, Glidra. But look." Prism walks over to the pile. It looks carefully, purposefully placed. And within those rocks, something is faintly glowing. Naal joins him, looking sullen. "This was a happy place. But they had to leave them," he quietly mutters, almost to himself, as he pushes past Prism. He gently, almost reverently, picks up each stone and places it aside. Inside, the source of the glow is revealed to be another stone. "Naal, what did you read from the ground in here?" "There was once a small but happy family that lived here," Naal smiled to himself, carefully reaching to pick up the source of light. "They were outnumbered, but they ran so that they would not find them," he whispered, gently rubbing the stone as it began to glow brighter. Faint, pink rings began to form around it. Naal clutched it closely, turning to look around the room. "They never found this place. But that was long ago." He looks between the other piles of stones around the room, tucked away into alcoves. In his claws, the inner light grows brighter, shaking back and forth, ever so slightly. Naal looks to the being held between his claws, sighing in resignation. "It was long enough ago, that she was the only one to survive." Suddenly, the piles of dark stones scattered throughout the room seemed a lot more saddening.
Day 19
Apparel
Pretty Buttercup Arm Bow

Loretta is adopted. No dragons were available to breed, so a new hatchling joins the clan! She is raised by Glidra and Shadesong.

"Wait." Prism stops midway through the threshold, all eyes instantly trained onto a small pile of dark stones that was tucked away in one of the alcoves. The entire group tenses, ready to attack, before he waves a claw to signal that all is well.

"Prism, please refrain from blurting concerning things when everyone is on edge."
"I apologize, Glidra. But look."

Prism walks over to the pile. It looks carefully, purposefully placed. And within those rocks, something is faintly glowing. Naal joins him, looking sullen.

"This was a happy place. But they had to leave them," he quietly mutters, almost to himself, as he pushes past Prism. He gently, almost reverently, picks up each stone and places it aside. Inside, the source of the glow is revealed to be another stone.

"Naal, what did you read from the ground in here?"

"There was once a small but happy family that lived here," Naal smiled to himself, carefully reaching to pick up the source of light. "They were outnumbered, but they ran so that they would not find them," he whispered, gently rubbing the stone as it began to glow brighter. Faint, pink rings began to form around it.

Naal clutched it closely, turning to look around the room. "They never found this place. But that was long ago." He looks between the other piles of stones around the room, tucked away into alcoves. In his claws, the inner light grows brighter, shaking back and forth, ever so slightly.

Naal looks to the being held between his claws, sighing in resignation. "It was long enough ago, that she was the only one to survive."

Suddenly, the piles of dark stones scattered throughout the room seemed a lot more saddening.
Today's posts started with [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2800082/3#post_41881349]Day 17[/url]. [rule] [center][b]Day 20[/b][/center] [center][i]Food: Plant[/i] [item=Umbra Parthenium][/center] [rule] [b]Glidra, Shadesong, and Naal head into Wilderness.[/b] [rule] The egg within his claws shakes more harshly, small chips beginning to appear. Glidra nudges Naal, taking the egg from him and setting it within an old bed of grasses, curling around it. Naal crawls up onto his mother's back, peering over her shoulder at the egg. With a quiet crack, a small, bat-like head pops free from inside the shell. The hatchling appears confused, looking about the room. Glidra lowers her head beside the egg. "It's alright, little one. You can come out," she whispers so as not to startle her. The hatchling turns to look back at Glidra, eyes wide and curious, before chirruping happily and fumbling the rest of the way out of the shell. Shadesong comes closer, nuzzling the hatchling before turning to his mate. "It appears we shall have another mouth to feed. Inspecting the surrounding area would also be wise." Glidra pulls herself up, scooping the confused hatchling off the ground before handing her off into the arms of Prism. "Watch after her and Riln well. We'll hunt for just a bit and be back by nightfall." --- After passing several hills of shrubland, the three make their way into the depths of a burned forest. Though much is charred, leaves have begun to regrow through the ashes. Shadesong hums to himself, plucking a few good finds. "Plantlife is strong, and rebuilds itself from so much loss. They and us are not so different." Naal gathers what he can find around him, digging up a few shallow tubers beneath the soil. His father had always been attuned to the flora- it was in his Nature, afterall. While he knew not those that were best in potioning, like Prism knew so well, he knew how each plant felt, what they smelled like, where to find them, how they grew- he downplayed the part he had played in Naal learning so much about potions, but the reagents themselves are what make the magic. "-I think I've found ginger! Dad, this is what it tastes like, right? That spicy tang?" Shadesong turned toward Naal, needing to take no more than a sniff at the air before nodding. "That's the stuff. Good job, I haven't seen any in some time in the ice!" Naal preened under the praise before a loud roar from his mother startled him, causing him to look toward her. There was panic and anger in her eyes, and she was looking off into the hills to the east. But before he could turn to face the danger, all he could hear was the choking sound that filled his ears. He spun around. Shadesong had moved, now standing between Naal and whatever the danger was. And there was an arrow straight through his chest. Naal froze, eyes wide. No, no, no! He became strong so that his father would never have to do this again! He wasn't a weak hatchling anymore, he could defend his family! Glidra howled, leaping with a speed propelled by her wings at the source of the arrow. Naal took to the air after her, spotting the group of horse-like beings on the hillside, lining up another volley of shots. He dove just as another round aimed for himself was fired, opening his jaws and blasting the hillside with white mana. They would not get another lucky shot. Glidra barreled into the gathering claws-first, decimating their forces. Once Naal could see that his mother had finished them off, he quickly spun back to his father, diving back down to the ground. "Dad, you, you didn't have to-" Shadesong held up a claw to his mouth, quieting him. "But I chose to. Because you are important, Naal. And I love you so, so much." He coughed. A viscous green fluid dripped from the arrow into the ash below. Rotrock Poison. His regenerating magic couldn't heal the Plaguebringer's touch. Naal's eyes grew wide. "N-No! Dad, you can't, you're too strong for this!" he teared up, dropping to the ground and nuzzling his head against Shadesong's. Glidra landed next to them, spotting her mate and pausing in shock. "..I see that the Plague has come for us, my dear." "It would seem so, my love." Shadesong gave a weak smile, resting his head on the ground. "Naal. Riln. Loretta. Please watch over them well. I know that you will," he paused, a few tears slipping past his own eyes. He looked to his son, a look of pure adoration and pride. "And look after Glidra, my child. I know she is strong, and I know you are strong. And sometimes the strong need help, too. Remember that I love you both, always." Shadesong closed his eyes for the last time.
Today's posts started with Day 17.

Day 20
Food: Plant
Umbra Parthenium

The egg within his claws shakes more harshly, small chips beginning to appear. Glidra nudges Naal, taking the egg from him and setting it within an old bed of grasses, curling around it. Naal crawls up onto his mother's back, peering over her shoulder at the egg.

With a quiet crack, a small, bat-like head pops free from inside the shell. The hatchling appears confused, looking about the room. Glidra lowers her head beside the egg. "It's alright, little one. You can come out," she whispers so as not to startle her.

The hatchling turns to look back at Glidra, eyes wide and curious, before chirruping happily and fumbling the rest of the way out of the shell. Shadesong comes closer, nuzzling the hatchling before turning to his mate. "It appears we shall have another mouth to feed. Inspecting the surrounding area would also be wise."

Glidra pulls herself up, scooping the confused hatchling off the ground before handing her off into the arms of Prism. "Watch after her and Riln well. We'll hunt for just a bit and be back by nightfall."

---

After passing several hills of shrubland, the three make their way into the depths of a burned forest.

Though much is charred, leaves have begun to regrow through the ashes. Shadesong hums to himself, plucking a few good finds. "Plantlife is strong, and rebuilds itself from so much loss. They and us are not so different."

Naal gathers what he can find around him, digging up a few shallow tubers beneath the soil. His father had always been attuned to the flora- it was in his Nature, afterall. While he knew not those that were best in potioning, like Prism knew so well, he knew how each plant felt, what they smelled like, where to find them, how they grew- he downplayed the part he had played in Naal learning so much about potions, but the reagents themselves are what make the magic.

"-I think I've found ginger! Dad, this is what it tastes like, right? That spicy tang?"

Shadesong turned toward Naal, needing to take no more than a sniff at the air before nodding. "That's the stuff. Good job, I haven't seen any in some time in the ice!"

Naal preened under the praise before a loud roar from his mother startled him, causing him to look toward her. There was panic and anger in her eyes, and she was looking off into the hills to the east.

But before he could turn to face the danger, all he could hear was the choking sound that filled his ears.

He spun around. Shadesong had moved, now standing between Naal and whatever the danger was.

And there was an arrow straight through his chest.

Naal froze, eyes wide. No, no, no! He became strong so that his father would never have to do this again! He wasn't a weak hatchling anymore, he could defend his family!

Glidra howled, leaping with a speed propelled by her wings at the source of the arrow. Naal took to the air after her, spotting the group of horse-like beings on the hillside, lining up another volley of shots.

He dove just as another round aimed for himself was fired, opening his jaws and blasting the hillside with white mana. They would not get another lucky shot.

Glidra barreled into the gathering claws-first, decimating their forces. Once Naal could see that his mother had finished them off, he quickly spun back to his father, diving back down to the ground.

"Dad, you, you didn't have to-" Shadesong held up a claw to his mouth, quieting him.

"But I chose to. Because you are important, Naal. And I love you so, so much." He coughed. A viscous green fluid dripped from the arrow into the ash below. Rotrock Poison. His regenerating magic couldn't heal the Plaguebringer's touch. Naal's eyes grew wide.

"N-No! Dad, you can't, you're too strong for this!" he teared up, dropping to the ground and nuzzling his head against Shadesong's. Glidra landed next to them, spotting her mate and pausing in shock.

"..I see that the Plague has come for us, my dear."

"It would seem so, my love." Shadesong gave a weak smile, resting his head on the ground. "Naal. Riln. Loretta. Please watch over them well. I know that you will," he paused, a few tears slipping past his own eyes. He looked to his son, a look of pure adoration and pride. "And look after Glidra, my child. I know she is strong, and I know you are strong. And sometimes the strong need help, too. Remember that I love you both, always."

Shadesong closed his eyes for the last time.
[center][b]Day 21[/b][/center] [center][i]Material[/i] [item=Blooming Vine][/center] [rule] [b]Lore.[/b] Aftermath. [rule] There were heavy footsteps outside the cave. Prism tensed, curling his tail around the hatchlings in his care. Waiting. Glidra entered the hollow alone, but covered in a large amount of blood, staring straight forward. She did not speak. She did not look to him. Something had gone wrong. Prism rose from the grassy nest he had gathered the hatchlings to, reassuring them quietly and making his way to Glidra. She did not appear injured herself, but the blood was everywhere, and her mood was in no way victorious. "...Glidra, where are Naal and Shadesong?" Prism spoke quietly, hoping to keep the hatchlings at bay. The other Guardian closed her eyes, but did not answer immediately. She breathed in deeply, before slowly turning around and making her way back outside. He followed. The sharp air of the twilight met his hide, but his eyes needed no time to adjust to the already darkened sky. Glidra continued onward, toward where Naal lay, head curled forward and against Shadesong. But Shadesong was not breathing. Prism froze where he stood. This was only a simple hunting trip. They would be back before dark. But the Mirror that he had begun to think of as a father lie eerily still against the ice and snow. Glidra reached her son, sitting down beside him. She hung her head, taking in several deep breaths. He could hear her growl, which turned into a deep, loud, mournful roar as she rose her call into the skies, crying out in agony and loss. Naal roared alongside her, and he could see the tear streaks across his scales as he turned to the sky. Prism choked on his own air, biting his tongue before roaring with them, as loudly as he could. --- "The hatchlings aren't safe here, how should we proceed?" Glidra was staring off at the walls of the cavern, not moving and refusing to make eye contact. "..We must defend this. If we move forward, there are only more centaurs. If we return, all that will greet us are harpies." She looked over towards her hatchlings. Naal had his younger siblings huddled into an alcove, and was speaking softly to them. "..Riln is growing quickly. She's nearly as mature as Naal is, now. She'll surpass him in no time, and we'll be able to train her to defend herself." Prism's expression was mostly neutral, but she could see the tenseness around his eyes that let her know his distaste for the situation. But he was smart, and he knew the futility in trying to run. And he had no other answers to give her. "How do we defend ourselves from the centaurs? Should we launch an attack?" "The attack would be Naal and I, Prism. That is not enough. Not yet." Prism stood straighter, about to interrupt before Glidra quickly cut him off. "-If you die, the spirit of the Phoenix dies with you. You will not fight until the day that I die, Prism." The younger Guardian snapped his jaw shut and grit his teeth. Whether she was right or wrong, they still had hatchlings to watch over. But that didn't mean he had to like it. A moment of tense silence stood between them. Glidra opened her mouth to speak again, but quickly turned her attention to the pouch she was carrying at her side. It was moving. She removed the bag from around her, placing it gently on the ground, waiting with baited breath. Prism moved beside her, watching intently. "-Mom? What's wrong?" Naal called from across the cavern, rising from the nest. "Come, bring your siblings," she spoke without removing her eyes from the cloth bag. The youngest dragons crowded behind her, Naal joining her at her side and watching the satchel. Something within was moving about, seeming to grow in size before wiggling a bit, working its way free. From the bag, a small, soot-colored chick, dappled with fiery oranges and reds, peered out into the cave. It spotted Glidra and chirped happily, stumbling over to her, tracking ashes behind it as it went. Glidra smiled, leaning down to nuzzle the tiny chick. "Is that Prosperity?" Glidra nodded, lowering her shoulders enough to allow the chick to climb up and onto them before righting herself again. The small creature seemed to be continuing to rapidly age, reaching about the size of a fledgling before seeming to become something stable. "She took her time regrowing from the ashes, the cold whether is harsher on her than on us." Loretta tilted her head to the side, watching the chick in interest, before scrabbling up Glidra's side and onto her back, perching beside the bird and chirping with it. If Glidra's eyes teared, she supposed it was from a lot of things. But she would let herself enjoy this moment. "What's a Prosperity, mom?" Riln watched her youngest sibling interact with the strange creature that had grown from the satchel that never left her mother's side. "A primordial Phoenix. A creature who ages, dies, and is reborn from their own ashes. When we found her, we had just fled the Sickness. Her stubborn ember of life out in the frozen lands of our Warden gave us hope that despite all that was against us and all that had occurred, we could carry on. "She is us," Naal, previously quiet, whispered. "Like plants from under the soot, like a Phoenix from its own ashes, we will carry on." And Glidra would sacrifice everything before she allowed that spirit to die.
Day 21
Material
Blooming Vine

Lore. Aftermath.

There were heavy footsteps outside the cave. Prism tensed, curling his tail around the hatchlings in his care. Waiting.

Glidra entered the hollow alone, but covered in a large amount of blood, staring straight forward. She did not speak. She did not look to him. Something had gone wrong.

Prism rose from the grassy nest he had gathered the hatchlings to, reassuring them quietly and making his way to Glidra. She did not appear injured herself, but the blood was everywhere, and her mood was in no way victorious.

"...Glidra, where are Naal and Shadesong?" Prism spoke quietly, hoping to keep the hatchlings at bay. The other Guardian closed her eyes, but did not answer immediately. She breathed in deeply, before slowly turning around and making her way back outside. He followed.

The sharp air of the twilight met his hide, but his eyes needed no time to adjust to the already darkened sky. Glidra continued onward, toward where Naal lay, head curled forward and against Shadesong.

But Shadesong was not breathing.

Prism froze where he stood. This was only a simple hunting trip. They would be back before dark. But the Mirror that he had begun to think of as a father lie eerily still against the ice and snow.

Glidra reached her son, sitting down beside him. She hung her head, taking in several deep breaths. He could hear her growl, which turned into a deep, loud, mournful roar as she rose her call into the skies, crying out in agony and loss.

Naal roared alongside her, and he could see the tear streaks across his scales as he turned to the sky.

Prism choked on his own air, biting his tongue before roaring with them, as loudly as he could.

---

"The hatchlings aren't safe here, how should we proceed?"

Glidra was staring off at the walls of the cavern, not moving and refusing to make eye contact. "..We must defend this. If we move forward, there are only more centaurs. If we return, all that will greet us are harpies."

She looked over towards her hatchlings. Naal had his younger siblings huddled into an alcove, and was speaking softly to them. "..Riln is growing quickly. She's nearly as mature as Naal is, now. She'll surpass him in no time, and we'll be able to train her to defend herself."

Prism's expression was mostly neutral, but she could see the tenseness around his eyes that let her know his distaste for the situation. But he was smart, and he knew the futility in trying to run. And he had no other answers to give her.

"How do we defend ourselves from the centaurs? Should we launch an attack?"

"The attack would be Naal and I, Prism. That is not enough. Not yet."

Prism stood straighter, about to interrupt before Glidra quickly cut him off. "-If you die, the spirit of the Phoenix dies with you. You will not fight until the day that I die, Prism."

The younger Guardian snapped his jaw shut and grit his teeth. Whether she was right or wrong, they still had hatchlings to watch over. But that didn't mean he had to like it.

A moment of tense silence stood between them. Glidra opened her mouth to speak again, but quickly turned her attention to the pouch she was carrying at her side.

It was moving.

She removed the bag from around her, placing it gently on the ground, waiting with baited breath. Prism moved beside her, watching intently.

"-Mom? What's wrong?" Naal called from across the cavern, rising from the nest.

"Come, bring your siblings," she spoke without removing her eyes from the cloth bag. The youngest dragons crowded behind her, Naal joining her at her side and watching the satchel. Something within was moving about, seeming to grow in size before wiggling a bit, working its way free.

From the bag, a small, soot-colored chick, dappled with fiery oranges and reds, peered out into the cave. It spotted Glidra and chirped happily, stumbling over to her, tracking ashes behind it as it went.

Glidra smiled, leaning down to nuzzle the tiny chick.

"Is that Prosperity?"

Glidra nodded, lowering her shoulders enough to allow the chick to climb up and onto them before righting herself again. The small creature seemed to be continuing to rapidly age, reaching about the size of a fledgling before seeming to become something stable. "She took her time regrowing from the ashes, the cold whether is harsher on her than on us."

Loretta tilted her head to the side, watching the chick in interest, before scrabbling up Glidra's side and onto her back, perching beside the bird and chirping with it. If Glidra's eyes teared, she supposed it was from a lot of things. But she would let herself enjoy this moment.

"What's a Prosperity, mom?" Riln watched her youngest sibling interact with the strange creature that had grown from the satchel that never left her mother's side.

"A primordial Phoenix. A creature who ages, dies, and is reborn from their own ashes. When we found her, we had just fled the Sickness. Her stubborn ember of life out in the frozen lands of our Warden gave us hope that despite all that was against us and all that had occurred, we could carry on.

"She is us," Naal, previously quiet, whispered. "Like plants from under the soot, like a Phoenix from its own ashes, we will carry on."

And Glidra would sacrifice everything before she allowed that spirit to die.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8