Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [HIATUS] From Thawed Soil We Came
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
@bonesdarling I'm so glad you like it so far! I hope I can keep up the writing mojo ^^
@bonesdarling I'm so glad you like it so far! I hope I can keep up the writing mojo ^^
Darkdenizensv4simple.png84ruMI5.pngYrk2o3M.pnggekDtXY.pngDarkdenizensv4simple.png

FMA02Pn.png1603_150px_dokvganryuu_by_miirshroom_dcg815s_by_xzcelestialxbalaurzx-dcgicgg.png

locke.png

s9UvQy2.png bgwVYfC.pngAQiesuo.png wmhOuud.pngTIdHmed.pnggJ53DWo.pngIsTvVEx.pngfzjG4Xp.png

dokvganryuu_by_xzcelestialxbalaurzx-dc10pes.png
can i be on the pinglist
can i be on the pinglist
ttGfSL1.png
@banii Of course! Which pinglist would you like to be on? [emoji=banescale happy size=1] Daily updates, major updates only, or daily updates and the giveaways?
@banii Of course! Which pinglist would you like to be on? Daily updates, major updates only, or daily updates and the giveaways?
Darkdenizensv4simple.png84ruMI5.pngYrk2o3M.pnggekDtXY.pngDarkdenizensv4simple.png

FMA02Pn.png1603_150px_dokvganryuu_by_miirshroom_dcg815s_by_xzcelestialxbalaurzx-dcgicgg.png

locke.png

s9UvQy2.png bgwVYfC.pngAQiesuo.png wmhOuud.pngTIdHmed.pnggJ53DWo.pngIsTvVEx.pngfzjG4Xp.png

i@Mutation daily and giveaway pinglist please!

It's wonderfully written though I puzzle over how a dragon can be cocky and shy... What an odd duck.
i@Mutation daily and giveaway pinglist please!

It's wonderfully written though I puzzle over how a dragon can be cocky and shy... What an odd duck.
@Rosesinger Adding you! How I think of it is that Ebhaal is shy towards unknown dragons, reluctant to interact with them, but determined and (over)confident in battle! Sometimes we have conflicting traits ourselves. Me? I love to help people, but I'm also kind of a social recluse [emoji=banescale tongue size=1]
@Rosesinger Adding you!

How I think of it is that Ebhaal is shy towards unknown dragons, reluctant to interact with them, but determined and (over)confident in battle! Sometimes we have conflicting traits ourselves. Me? I love to help people, but I'm also kind of a social recluse

locke.png

That does make sense. I just hope that attitude doesn't get them in trouble!
That does make sense. I just hope that attitude doesn't get them in trouble!
@mutation
can you add me to the daily and giveaway pinglist?
@mutation
can you add me to the daily and giveaway pinglist?
jCqspQw.png gQ9SzwZ.png XeYuGcw.png
@Font Adding!

For earlier pinglist folks who might have noticed I missed a post yesterday: Today will get a 2-in-1 progression post!
@Font Adding!

For earlier pinglist folks who might have noticed I missed a post yesterday: Today will get a 2-in-1 progression post!

locke.png

can i be on the daily and giveaway one
can i be on the daily and giveaway one
ttGfSL1.png
[center][size=6][color=#2b67b3][b][font=Georgia]Day three & four, chapter I:[/font][/b] [font=Georgia][i]Home improvement & Floating embers[/i][/font][/color][/size] [img]https://i.imgur.com/wQS70u9.png[/img] [/center] [center][size=2][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2792593#post_41582670]Jump to table of contents[/url][/size][/center] [center][font=georgia][b]PART 1 -- DAY THREE[/b][/font][/center] [center][color=#69462b][i]This morning, I was happy to note the Sweetpuff bird we befriended has decided to stay. Three of the Stranglers left the pen, which I’m honesty not fussed about. So long as they’re not creeping around nearby waiting to attack us, I don’t mind not having them in my sights. I take my new brightly-coloured animal buddy out of the holding area and nudge some breakfast bugs its’ way. I think Chipper would be a cute name for it. Ebhaal seemed vaguely interested in the blue mouse we brought home from our first foray into battle, but it seems they have become rather more fascinated by the friendly blue-bodied Charger we met yesterday. The swift creature is eager to show its’ strength to them, galloping back and forth several times for the length of the small clearing around our sleeping space. “It needs room to run,” Ebhaal tells me. I tilt my head, and they motion with a bright orange wing, towards the obscured secondary clearing where we founded our training area. “We could convert that into a full obstacle course. With all these animals, we might as well put them to the test if they want to live here, or at least help them stay fit.” Slowly, I nod. We put in a lot of effort to get tougher these past two days, maybe staying home for a day would be nice too. “Sure. Maybe you two could even race each other, have some fun while training up your endurance.” “Nothing wrong with my endurance,” Ebhaal snorts, but they quirk a rare, tiny grin. “I’m sure this Charger could wipe the floor with you, though.” I voice my (jesting) offense, but Ebhaal has already set off towards today’s expansion project. Though their emotions are much milder than mine, probably something to do with our differing elemental affinities, they certainly have a ton of spirit. Eager in battle and with confidence in their skill, they clearly have a heart of fire deep down. Perhaps it is the nature of our species. In spite of my allegiance to Mother Lightweaver, I must confess to dreaming of the Ashfall Wastes I have never even seen through my own eyes. The red-bodied Charger follows after us as we move to the other clearing. The two creatures probably have similar needs, even if they aren’t the exact same species. They watch us inquisitively as I and my dragon friend get to work on moving the training dummies out of the way. We spend the entire morning clearing the space and setting up a few hurdles, the two large animals prancing around the empty part of the grounds but clearly raring to go and test out our improvised obstacle course. Nearing the end of our creative process, a stray thought pops into my mind. What do we call what we’re building here? Are we a clan? Gently, I ask Ebhaal exactly that. They’re quiet for a moment, but seemingly don’t need to think it over for long. “We could say it is. You have a habit of needlessly overcomplicating things you have on your mind, Bunefohl, we can call this a clan. One dragon could be a clan... an entire Flight could be considered as one big collective.” I mull that thought over for a second. “Well, yes, but what should our policy be in terms of other dragons? We have a whole collection of animals here, but we’ve never really socialized with any other dragons beside each other.” They need a little longer for that. “It would really depend on the kind of dragon we meet. For now, we just need to ensure we’re ready to defend our territory. Maybe we could allow a clanless wanderer in if they can make themselves useful, I know I would have liked a more settled home when we were younger...” Their neutral tone of voice doesn’t make it immediately obvious, but I can sense their sadness. We had a rough time growing up, having to sleep underground most nights, guarding each other in the absence of an adult caretaker... it’s very sweet of Ebhaal to want to offer other lost dragons something better than the hand we were dealt. I want to ask more questions, but I feel that should wait. We make some finishing touches to our current work, and let the two creatures be the judge. The two Chargers turn out to both have a competitive streak. They race each other across the new open area, and test their jumping with the obstacles. I watch quite fondly as Ebhaal chitters to the victorious blue Charger, clearly proud of their brand new friend. Those two are going to be companions for sure. We leave the two creatures to have their fun, and spend the rest of the day clearing out the clearing we first settled. I work on my crude map of our ‘clan’ a little more, and also roll out some fresher scavenged parchment to make a neater copy to build on while at home. Ebhaal searches through our hoard in the evening, and comes back cradling a stack of the odd hieroglyph-lined stones in their wings. “These must have some significance, wouldn’t you agree? I get a strange sensation from them, like they want to help us somehow." I know what they mean. We can’t figure out the meaning of whatever incantations are carved into the relics, but they certainly have an aura of possibly beneficial magic around them. Laying down the items, Ebhaal scrutinizes them closely. “It’s some form of Draconic,” I determine, my eyes scanning the lines of the symbols. “But it’s not like anything I’ve ever seen. Is this the Draconic we sometimes heard while hiding from unknown dragons when we were younglings?” [b]“This... piece... shall... or will... deliver?”[/b] My companion reads, and we frown. Deliver what? Is it a holy relic? Should we have left these pieces where we found them? Is our translation even close to correct? I bring the second chunk closer to me, maybe reading them all will get us closer. [b]“Gain... power... for- from... this...”[/b] Suddenly, a bright light emanates from the object. Ebhaal squawks in surprise and shuts their eyes tight, but I can see... how before my very eyes, the object disintegrates to nothing but crumbs, and I feel my strength flicker to greater heights as the unknown aura is absorbed by my own energy. Then, just like that, the light fades where the object used to be. I blink in confusion and Ebhaal dares to open their eyes soon after, looking at me questioningly. “What happened? What did that thing [b]do?[/b]” I shake my head in mutual bafflement, though I have some idea. “I don’t know... I feel somehow stronger, though. These things are full of magic, just like we thought.” Standing up to test how I move, I find nothing different about my range of motion and perception of the world around me. All I can vaguely sense is an improvement in my elemental capabilities. “Maybe they work on you too! You like to feel strong, right? I’ll let you try it, if you want to. Your choice.” The promise of greater power always motivates Ebhaal. I’m glad I only activated one relic, because upon being seeing that I am in perfect health still, they immediately jump at the chance to use the two that remain. So long as they don’t get any more reckless, them getting stronger will only help us. [b]“This... might is... small but... available?... for all...” [/b]They must shut their eyes tightly again as the light bursts forth from the second stone, the item crumbling to dust as happened to mine. Just as fast as it began, it ends. “That feels... incredible.” Ebhaal shares. They eventually figure out the line needed to trigger the response of the third relic, and I see that pale fire flicker in their icy eyes after taking in the second magic boost. “Oh no-“ I utter, but alas I am too late to avoid being pounced upon by my very spar-eager clanmate. It’s one of the first times I’ve ever seen them grin with joy. [center][font=georgia][b]PART 2 -- DAY FOUR[/b][/font][/center] [center][color=#69462b][i]The next morning, I’m not at all surprised to wake up to Ebhaal bugging me to go out hunting early. “We need to test how strong those stones made us, Bunefohl. Maybe we can show those Stranglers you don’t like how tough we are now!” Though I am not eager to rise so early in the morning, who am I to put a damper on genuine excitement? It’s such a change from my friend’s usual muted demeanour. Upon exiting our den, though, we both halt in unison. Something draws our attention towards the sky, and when I focus my sight, I see what for: There is a thin grey plume of smoke rising from above the canopy, some distance away. “A forest fire?” Ebhaal asks, and I grind my teeth in worry. Could our home be in danger? We hurry off, headed for the faraway source of the smoke. On the way, Ebhaal freezes stray embers to prevent them from igniting foliage closer to our den. We see no proof of the fire actually spreading yet, but you can't be too careful. Pretty soon, we come across the first stretch of charred ground. We see a host of creatures we’ve never seen before, and terrifyingly enough, two owl-esque things have spotted us. [img] https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/600.png[/img][img] https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/601.png[/img] Unable to outrun the duo, we have to engage them. And they are tough, damn near too much. We defeat them both, but it was a very close fight, and not something I’d like to repeat. We make a hasty retreat from the area, and upon looking towards from where we fled, I see a message we’d missed, engraved in stone. I cannot read the top lines, but the carvings below—A translation into our form of Draconic! Someone who speaks our tongue must live somewhere in this Labyrinth! “Ebhaal, this plaque... It warns us to [b]“beware the Scorched Forest. Though the Fire does not spread for Mother Amogayvhi blessed these lands, the lick of flame can still singe scales...”[/b]” Looking closer at the embers, what the stone says seems true enough: upon landing on an unburned tree, the tiny fire is instantly snuffed out... “Must be a magic barrier of some kind,” My friend says. I nod, and look their way. “Well, I’m not eager to try and get killed out there. How about we head back to the Woodland Path and hunt there? We know where this place is now, can always follow the smoke if we want to give it another shot." They begrudgingly agree, probably upset that our recent power boosts had been rather insignificant after all. Regardless, we get moving. The relics did turn out to make the previously-daunting Woodland Path a breeze if compared to how we struggled just the day before. Quite easily dealing with any Stranglers that got in our way, our spirits lifted somewhat. We find nothing of note on this walk through the Path. In the evening, then, moments from going back home, we make a discovery. A small, pale green egg, all alone in the bushes. [item=unhatched wind egg] [center][color=#69462b][i]It’s clearly a dragon egg, I can sense it, but none of my odd memories show eggs that look like [b]this[/b]. All dragon eggs were brown and thick-shelled, as far as I knew... The bamboo-covered creature we just dealt with must have hidden this one where we found it, probably intending to eat it... I say a prayer to the Lightweaver for getting us here in time to save the unborn. I give Ebhaal a questioning look, and they nod slowly. I'm immediately glad that we had that brief conversation yesterday, about the possibility of us looking after clanless dragons. Gingerly, I fold out my wings and roll the soft-shelled egg onto the sturdy membrane, holding it close to my chest. I smile at the little bounce the egg gives, as if it’s eager to come with us. “We’ll need a nesting site for them, if they need more time,” I worry, but Ebhaal folds a wing across my back and leads the way. “Let's hurry. We need to get it to safety." Back home, the egg gets restless and begins to hatch even before we have a half-decent nesting site ready. With bated breath, we wait for the hatchling to emerge. The egg steadily begins to wiggle more, its’ surface distending until- The thin shell tears in the center, and a tiny red snout pokes out, the hatchling chirping with excitement. With a momentary pause to catch its’ breath after the first breach, the hatchling finally slinks out of the egg in full, two light-green eyes blinking and squinting up at us. [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=2633&tab=dragon&did=57728557][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=58&bodygene=0&breed=2&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=107&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=138&auth=bb593a2444e285416af90154e0a4f02b712e53dc&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/url][center][color=#69462b][i]A tiny little dragon, its’ shape not familiar to us but without a doubt draconic still. It’s adorable. And we’ll have to find a name for them.[/color] [size=2]Daily pings: @DragonPrincess27 @bonesdarling @euphonies @Rosesinger @Font @banii
Day three & four, chapter I:

Home improvement & Floating embers

wQS70u9.png
PART 1 -- DAY THREE
This morning, I was happy to note the Sweetpuff bird we befriended has decided to stay. Three of the Stranglers left the pen, which I’m honesty not fussed about. So long as they’re not creeping around nearby waiting to attack us, I don’t mind not having them in my sights.

I take my new brightly-coloured animal buddy out of the holding area and nudge some breakfast bugs its’ way. I think Chipper would be a cute name for it.

Ebhaal seemed vaguely interested in the blue mouse we brought home from our first foray into battle, but it seems they have become rather more fascinated by the friendly blue-bodied Charger we met yesterday. The swift creature is eager to show its’ strength to them, galloping back and forth several times for the length of the small clearing around our sleeping space.

“It needs room to run,” Ebhaal tells me. I tilt my head, and they motion with a bright orange wing, towards the obscured secondary clearing where we founded our training area. “We could convert that into a full obstacle course. With all these animals, we might as well put them to the test if they want to live here, or at least help them stay fit.”

Slowly, I nod. We put in a lot of effort to get tougher these past two days, maybe staying home for a day would be nice too. “Sure. Maybe you two could even race each other, have some fun while training up your endurance.”

“Nothing wrong with my endurance,” Ebhaal snorts, but they quirk a rare, tiny grin. “I’m sure this Charger could wipe the floor with you, though.”

I voice my (jesting) offense, but Ebhaal has already set off towards today’s expansion project. Though their emotions are much milder than mine, probably something to do with our differing elemental affinities, they certainly have a ton of spirit. Eager in battle and with confidence in their skill, they clearly have a heart of fire deep down. Perhaps it is the nature of our species. In spite of my allegiance to Mother Lightweaver, I must confess to dreaming of the Ashfall Wastes I have never even seen through my own eyes.

The red-bodied Charger follows after us as we move to the other clearing. The two creatures probably have similar needs, even if they aren’t the exact same species. They watch us inquisitively as I and my dragon friend get to work on moving the training dummies out of the way. We spend the entire morning clearing the space and setting up a few hurdles, the two large animals prancing around the empty part of the grounds but clearly raring to go and test out our improvised obstacle course. Nearing the end of our creative process, a stray thought pops into my mind. What do we call what we’re building here? Are we a clan?

Gently, I ask Ebhaal exactly that. They’re quiet for a moment, but seemingly don’t need to think it over for long. “We could say it is. You have a habit of needlessly overcomplicating things you have on your mind, Bunefohl, we can call this a clan. One dragon could be a clan... an entire Flight could be considered as one big collective.”

I mull that thought over for a second. “Well, yes, but what should our policy be in terms of other dragons? We have a whole collection of animals here, but we’ve never really socialized with any other dragons beside each other.”

They need a little longer for that. “It would really depend on the kind of dragon we meet. For now, we just need to ensure we’re ready to defend our territory. Maybe we could allow a clanless wanderer in if they can make themselves useful, I know I would have liked a more settled home when we were younger...”

Their neutral tone of voice doesn’t make it immediately obvious, but I can sense their sadness. We had a rough time growing up, having to sleep underground most nights, guarding each other in the absence of an adult caretaker... it’s very sweet of Ebhaal to want to offer other lost dragons something better than the hand we were dealt. I want to ask more questions, but I feel that should wait.

We make some finishing touches to our current work, and let the two creatures be the judge.

The two Chargers turn out to both have a competitive streak. They race each other across the new open area, and test their jumping with the obstacles. I watch quite fondly as Ebhaal chitters to the victorious blue Charger, clearly proud of their brand new friend. Those two are going to be companions for sure.

We leave the two creatures to have their fun, and spend the rest of the day clearing out the clearing we first settled. I work on my crude map of our ‘clan’ a little more, and also roll out some fresher scavenged parchment to make a neater copy to build on while at home.

Ebhaal searches through our hoard in the evening, and comes back cradling a stack of the odd hieroglyph-lined stones in their wings. “These must have some significance, wouldn’t you agree? I get a strange sensation from them, like they want to help us somehow."

I know what they mean. We can’t figure out the meaning of whatever incantations are carved into the relics, but they certainly have an aura of possibly beneficial magic around them. Laying down the items, Ebhaal scrutinizes them closely.

“It’s some form of Draconic,” I determine, my eyes scanning the lines of the symbols. “But it’s not like anything I’ve ever seen. Is this the Draconic we sometimes heard while hiding from unknown dragons when we were younglings?”

“This... piece... shall... or will... deliver?” My companion reads, and we frown. Deliver what? Is it a holy relic? Should we have left these pieces where we found them? Is our translation even close to correct?

I bring the second chunk closer to me, maybe reading them all will get us closer. “Gain... power... for- from... this...”

Suddenly, a bright light emanates from the object. Ebhaal squawks in surprise and shuts their eyes tight, but I can see... how before my very eyes, the object disintegrates to nothing but crumbs, and I feel my strength flicker to greater heights as the unknown aura is absorbed by my own energy. Then, just like that, the light fades where the object used to be. I blink in confusion and Ebhaal dares to open their eyes soon after, looking at me questioningly.

“What happened? What did that thing do?

I shake my head in mutual bafflement, though I have some idea. “I don’t know... I feel somehow stronger, though. These things are full of magic, just like we thought.”

Standing up to test how I move, I find nothing different about my range of motion and perception of the world around me. All I can vaguely sense is an improvement in my elemental capabilities. “Maybe they work on you too! You like to feel strong, right? I’ll let you try it, if you want to. Your choice.”

The promise of greater power always motivates Ebhaal. I’m glad I only activated one relic, because upon being seeing that I am in perfect health still, they immediately jump at the chance to use the two that remain. So long as they don’t get any more reckless, them getting stronger will only help us.

“This... might is... small but... available?... for all...” They must shut their eyes tightly again as the light bursts forth from the second stone, the item crumbling to dust as happened to mine. Just as fast as it began, it ends.

“That feels... incredible.” Ebhaal shares. They eventually figure out the line needed to trigger the response of the third relic, and I see that pale fire flicker in their icy eyes after taking in the second magic boost.

“Oh no-“ I utter, but alas I am too late to avoid being pounced upon by my very spar-eager clanmate. It’s one of the first times I’ve ever seen them grin with joy.

PART 2 -- DAY FOUR
The next morning, I’m not at all surprised to wake up to Ebhaal bugging me to go out hunting early. “We need to test how strong those stones made us, Bunefohl. Maybe we can show those Stranglers you don’t like how tough we are now!”

Though I am not eager to rise so early in the morning, who am I to put a damper on genuine excitement? It’s such a change from my friend’s usual muted demeanour.

Upon exiting our den, though, we both halt in unison. Something draws our attention towards the sky, and when I focus my sight, I see what for: There is a thin grey plume of smoke rising from above the canopy, some distance away. “A forest fire?” Ebhaal asks, and I grind my teeth in worry. Could our home be in danger?

We hurry off, headed for the faraway source of the smoke. On the way, Ebhaal freezes stray embers to prevent them from igniting foliage closer to our den. We see no proof of the fire actually spreading yet, but you can't be too careful.

Pretty soon, we come across the first stretch of charred ground. We see a host of creatures we’ve never seen before, and terrifyingly enough, two owl-esque things have spotted us.

600.png601.png

Unable to outrun the duo, we have to engage them. And they are tough, damn near too much. We defeat them both, but it was a very close fight, and not something I’d like to repeat.

We make a hasty retreat from the area, and upon looking towards from where we fled, I see a message we’d missed, engraved in stone. I cannot read the top lines, but the carvings below—A translation into our form of Draconic! Someone who speaks our tongue must live somewhere in this Labyrinth!

“Ebhaal, this plaque... It warns us to “beware the Scorched Forest. Though the Fire does not spread for Mother Amogayvhi blessed these lands, the lick of flame can still singe scales...”

Looking closer at the embers, what the stone says seems true enough: upon landing on an unburned tree, the tiny fire is instantly snuffed out...

“Must be a magic barrier of some kind,” My friend says.

I nod, and look their way. “Well, I’m not eager to try and get killed out there. How about we head back to the Woodland Path and hunt there? We know where this place is now, can always follow the smoke if we want to give it another shot."

They begrudgingly agree, probably upset that our recent power boosts had been rather insignificant after all. Regardless, we get moving. The relics did turn out to make the previously-daunting Woodland Path a breeze if compared to how we struggled just the day before. Quite easily dealing with any Stranglers that got in our way, our spirits lifted somewhat. We find nothing of note on this walk through the Path.

In the evening, then, moments from going back home, we make a discovery.

A small, pale green egg, all alone in the bushes.
Unhatched Wind Egg

It’s clearly a dragon egg, I can sense it, but none of my odd memories show eggs that look like this. All dragon eggs were brown and thick-shelled, as far as I knew... The bamboo-covered creature we just dealt with must have hidden this one where we found it, probably intending to eat it... I say a prayer to the Lightweaver for getting us here in time to save the unborn. I give Ebhaal a questioning look, and they nod slowly. I'm immediately glad that we had that brief conversation yesterday, about the possibility of us looking after clanless dragons.

Gingerly, I fold out my wings and roll the soft-shelled egg onto the sturdy membrane, holding it close to my chest. I smile at the little bounce the egg gives, as if it’s eager to come with us.

“We’ll need a nesting site for them, if they need more time,” I worry, but Ebhaal folds a wing across my back and leads the way. “Let's hurry. We need to get it to safety."

Back home, the egg gets restless and begins to hatch even before we have a half-decent nesting site ready. With bated breath, we wait for the hatchling to emerge.

The egg steadily begins to wiggle more, its’ surface distending until-

The thin shell tears in the center, and a tiny red snout pokes out, the hatchling chirping with excitement. With a momentary pause to catch its’ breath after the first breach, the hatchling finally slinks out of the egg in full, two light-green eyes blinking and squinting up at us.
dragon?age=0&body=58&bodygene=0&breed=2&element=3&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=107&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=138&auth=bb593a2444e285416af90154e0a4f02b712e53dc&dummyext=prev.png
A tiny little dragon, its’ shape not familiar to us but without a doubt draconic still. It’s adorable. And we’ll have to find a name for them.

Daily pings: @DragonPrincess27 @bonesdarling @euphonies @Rosesinger @Font @banii

locke.png

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14