Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Pinkerlocke: Heaven's Not Enough
1 2 3 4 5 6
Welcome to my first Pinkerlocke! I’m mostly doing this for my own fun and much-needed writing practice, though I’m not sure I’ll be able to do something every day. Also I don’t know if these author notes will be as coherent all the time. I’ll be using the normal rules, on easy mode, with a few differences. (The normal rules can be found [url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/1904162]here![/url]) [center]1. I’m a coward, so I won’t exalt dragons if they die in the Coliseum, only remove them from the challenge (unless they’re really ugly lol). 2. I don’t get how breed changes work in terms of story mechanics (how does a fae become a gaoler? how does the body mass work? the diet???), so I won’t be doing them. Instead I’ll do gene changes even though those don’t make that much sense either. 3. I’ll equip any apparel I get from Pinkerton or the Coliseum to one of my dragons. 4. My sibling at @Umbreonlove7 will do all the art because that's not my thing and they want to practice. 5. The challenge ends when I get Fiver to level 25 (she can't die during the challenge!) 6. I'll use the following rules if a dragon dies in the coliseum and has a familiar: A Familiar can perform a saving throw for their charge. I will roll one d4: 4 - The familiar and the dragon survive 3 - The familiar dies for the dragon, but the dragon is saved 2 - The dragon dies but the familiar survives 1 - They both perish[/center] Anyway, without further ado, here are the characters from the start of the story! All characters list is [url=https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=498542&tab=dragon&did=56742922]here![/url] [center][url = https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=498542&tab=dragon&did=56742921][img]https://imgur.com/SCTqbDp.png[/img][/url] [b]Fiver[/b] [i]The progen created at the start of this account.[/i] Fiver was orphaned very young by the Mirror pack her family had been a part of, maddened by something she didn’t understand. She escaped them but developed a fear and hatred of the world around her. She began to search for a safer home, and thus began the story. [url = https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=498542&tab=dragon&did=56664855][img] https://imgur.com/7CQyOh3.png[/img][/url] [b]Laylan[/b] [i]The first dragon I randomised.[/i] Laylan’s parents had stopped only briefly in the Wandering Contagion, but that was all it took for a nearby hoard of Mirrors to slaughter them. Laylan escaped and hid herself in the nearest cave, resigning herself to living out the rest of her days in its darkness, until she was found by Felicity. [url = https://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=498542&tab=dragon&did=56736710][img] https://imgur.com/Z9cvueX.png[/img][/url] [b]Felicity[/b] [i]The second dragon I randomised.[/i] Felicity was abandoned by her parents in the territory of the Plaguebringer, leaving her seething. She tried temporarily to survive on her own in the wastelands, but was quickly driven by a pack of Mirrors into a cave system only she was small enough to enter. Following this system led her to Laylan and they both resolved to care for each other as long as they could.[/center] Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy! <3
Welcome to my first Pinkerlocke! I’m mostly doing this for my own fun and much-needed writing practice, though I’m not sure I’ll be able to do something every day. Also I don’t know if these author notes will be as coherent all the time. I’ll be using the normal rules, on easy mode, with a few differences. (The normal rules can be found here!)
1. I’m a coward, so I won’t exalt dragons if they die in the Coliseum, only remove them from the challenge (unless they’re really ugly lol).
2. I don’t get how breed changes work in terms of story mechanics (how does a fae become a gaoler? how does the body mass work? the diet???), so I won’t be doing them. Instead I’ll do gene changes even though those don’t make that much sense either.
3. I’ll equip any apparel I get from Pinkerton or the Coliseum to one of my dragons.
4. My sibling at @Umbreonlove7 will do all the art because that's not my thing and they want to practice.
5. The challenge ends when I get Fiver to level 25 (she can't die during the challenge!)
6. I'll use the following rules if a dragon dies in the coliseum and has a familiar:
A Familiar can perform a saving throw for their charge. I will roll one d4:
4 - The familiar and the dragon survive
3 - The familiar dies for the dragon, but the dragon is saved
2 - The dragon dies but the familiar survives
1 - They both perish

Anyway, without further ado, here are the characters from the start of the story! All characters list is here!
SCTqbDp.png
Fiver
The progen created at the start of this account.
Fiver was orphaned very young by the Mirror pack her family had been a part of, maddened by something she didn’t understand. She escaped them but developed a fear and hatred of the world around her. She began to search for a safer home, and thus began the story.

7CQyOh3.png
Laylan
The first dragon I randomised.
Laylan’s parents had stopped only briefly in the Wandering Contagion, but that was all it took for a nearby hoard of Mirrors to slaughter them. Laylan escaped and hid herself in the nearest cave, resigning herself to living out the rest of her days in its darkness, until she was found by Felicity.

Z9cvueX.png
Felicity
The second dragon I randomised.
Felicity was abandoned by her parents in the territory of the Plaguebringer, leaving her seething. She tried temporarily to survive on her own in the wastelands, but was quickly driven by a pack of Mirrors into a cave system only she was small enough to enter. Following this system led her to Laylan and they both resolved to care for each other as long as they could.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy! <3
Pinglist:

@HeatherAKARoses
@Rolyo

Story Entries:

One
Two
Three
Four

Art Entries:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Pinglist:

@HeatherAKARoses
@Rolyo

Story Entries:

One
Two
Three
Four

Art Entries:

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
[center][size=4][b]Day One[/b][/size] [item=Azure Lure][/center] She was named Fiver because she was the fifth of her litter; and yet, in a moment, she was reduced to only one. This was the thought that crossed her mind as she clambered through the rough earth of the Wandering Contagion, claws clattering menacingly at every step. The sound rattled and echoed in her ears. Her tail dragged across the ground, her crests drooping from stress and heat. She’d outrun her former pack - those who had killed her family - and she wandered the Plague domain, a healthy and young Mirror on her traditional homeland. She had every reason to be content, at least for now. And yet. Her blood boiled and beat itself against her veins, more and more the farther she walked, and it wasn’t just the sun’s searing on her scales that made it that way. Every step shaved both her claws and her faith a little further. The Plaguebringer was a deity, living to protect her subjects. So how had she let this happen? Fiver trekked further, knowing she would never feel far enough from the god who had allowed her family’s slaughter. Her crests raised with a resolve that hit her as hard as the reddened sun above her; she would keep walking until she could no longer smell the blood of her siblings, or hear the screams of her parents, or see the crazed eyes of her fellow packmates as they watched her with malice. She’d find somewhere safe. She would only end her journey once she had found a real home. Just as she finished this thought, her foot dropping to the ground to punctuate the sentiment, it faltered at a familiar sound. [img]https://imgur.com/uGjkBEn.png[/img] She turned her head and was faced with a cave curtained with an abyss-like shadow. She focused her smaller eyes’ sight and picked out what she had expected; hatchlings huddled together, deathly still after alerting her of their presence with a pained whimper, speckled with the scent and heat of blood. She shifted her course, her still-raised foot setting itself down to face the entrance of their cave. She would not see anyone be hurt anymore. Immediately she was met with a half-formed growl; bright fur leaped into the mouth of the cave, the hatchling’s back arched and hair on end. A little Tundra growled more forcefully at her. Behind her, a lanky dragon, larger and older, curved a serpentine neck to hide her head in her chest. An Imperial. Fiver, still and silent, watched the trembling hatchling in front of her; it should have made her laugh, seeing such a fierce display from a Tundra. But pain and fear leaked from the hatchling’s snarls. Fiver lowered her shoulders, taking another step towards the two and easily avoiding a resulting swipe from the Tundra’s hairy paw. “Stay back!” Fiver blinked slowly, shifting her wings against her body. “I’m not going to hurt you,” she told them. The Tundra spat at her feet in response - and now she did laugh. Sparing caution completely, she took another step. The hatchling faltered slightly before steeling herself and raising another paw. “I’ll scratch you!” Walking slowly closer, Fiver chose her words carefully, interpreting the glints in their eyes, things just as familiar as their pain. “I’m alone too,” she murmured. “If you let me come in, I can help.” She glanced pointedly at the Tundra’s wet, scarlet shoulder. Took another step. There was the limp [i]thump[/i] of a tiny, flat paw against her ankle. Her eyes travelled to the perpetrator, watching the Tundra swallow, not even her thick coat hiding the movement of her throat. Fiver looked from the fierce little girl in front of her to the shy serpent still hidden by the ink of the cave’s stomach, her eyes softening further. “I’m sorry about your family.” They both flinched, became statues. There was a period of silence reminiscent of an ocean. “Will you really help us?” whispered the Imperial from the back of the cave. She held back a smile at the sound of the dragon’s soft, reserved voice. “I’m searching,” she replied. “For a real home. Somewhere safe. For dragons like us.” The Tundra’s suspicious eyes flashed in the light, but the Imperial pulled herself to her feet. “My name is Laylan.” Her head tilted towards the other. “That’s Felicity.” Turning back, Fiver could finally see the resigned green eyes over the dragon’s dusty snout. “Would you mind if we joined you?” “Wait!” the Tundra’s voice scrambled for some purchase in the conversation, her head snapping back and forth between the older two. “We - we don’t even know her name!” “It’s Fiver,” the Mirror filled in, smiling. “And I’d love to have you.” [center][img]https://imgur.com/xZZKi8r.png[/img][/center] Far away, deeper into the territory of the Plaguebringer, Mirrors with their sensitive noses to the ground followed the lost trail of a packmate only just grown. The biggest sat on a craggy outcropping of the lair they had seized for the night, eyes staring vacantly in the direction of the crimson sunset. If one looked closely, they could see, past the burning red reflection in each small globe, dark veins of madness creeping from its eyelids, each strand of the Shade in its eyes spiked with malice, hunger, and crazed desire. [center][img]https://imgur.com/rcLAyWj.png[/img][/center] [size=2]The first item I got from Pinkerton was an Azure Lure, and since it’s a trinket that means drawing! I was hoping for a material so I could write, but I just did both for today to introduce the story!! First divider is by msb-lair on tumblr, and second is by banyan-fr on tumblr. I’m not too happy with the writing of this one but that’s why I’m doing this - so I can improve! Hopefully the writing will get better. The drawing was me getting used to the new program I’ve been using. Pretty cool so far. Anyway, see you next time![/size]
Day One
Azure Lure

She was named Fiver because she was the fifth of her litter; and yet, in a moment, she was reduced to only one.

This was the thought that crossed her mind as she clambered through the rough earth of the Wandering Contagion, claws clattering menacingly at every step. The sound rattled and echoed in her ears.

Her tail dragged across the ground, her crests drooping from stress and heat. She’d outrun her former pack - those who had killed her family - and she wandered the Plague domain, a healthy and young Mirror on her traditional homeland. She had every reason to be content, at least for now.

And yet.

Her blood boiled and beat itself against her veins, more and more the farther she walked, and it wasn’t just the sun’s searing on her scales that made it that way. Every step shaved both her claws and her faith a little further. The Plaguebringer was a deity, living to protect her subjects.

So how had she let this happen?

Fiver trekked further, knowing she would never feel far enough from the god who had allowed her family’s slaughter. Her crests raised with a resolve that hit her as hard as the reddened sun above her; she would keep walking until she could no longer smell the blood of her siblings, or hear the screams of her parents, or see the crazed eyes of her fellow packmates as they watched her with malice. She’d find somewhere safe. She would only end her journey once she had found a real home.

Just as she finished this thought, her foot dropping to the ground to punctuate the sentiment, it faltered at a familiar sound.

uGjkBEn.png

She turned her head and was faced with a cave curtained with an abyss-like shadow. She focused her smaller eyes’ sight and picked out what she had expected; hatchlings huddled together, deathly still after alerting her of their presence with a pained whimper, speckled with the scent and heat of blood. She shifted her course, her still-raised foot setting itself down to face the entrance of their cave. She would not see anyone be hurt anymore.

Immediately she was met with a half-formed growl; bright fur leaped into the mouth of the cave, the hatchling’s back arched and hair on end. A little Tundra growled more forcefully at her. Behind her, a lanky dragon, larger and older, curved a serpentine neck to hide her head in her chest. An Imperial.

Fiver, still and silent, watched the trembling hatchling in front of her; it should have made her laugh, seeing such a fierce display from a Tundra. But pain and fear leaked from the hatchling’s snarls. Fiver lowered her shoulders, taking another step towards the two and easily avoiding a resulting swipe from the Tundra’s hairy paw. “Stay back!”

Fiver blinked slowly, shifting her wings against her body. “I’m not going to hurt you,” she told them. The Tundra spat at her feet in response - and now she did laugh. Sparing caution completely, she took another step. The hatchling faltered slightly before steeling herself and raising another paw.

“I’ll scratch you!”

Walking slowly closer, Fiver chose her words carefully, interpreting the glints in their eyes, things just as familiar as their pain. “I’m alone too,” she murmured. “If you let me come in, I can help.” She glanced pointedly at the Tundra’s wet, scarlet shoulder. Took another step.

There was the limp thump of a tiny, flat paw against her ankle. Her eyes travelled to the perpetrator, watching the Tundra swallow, not even her thick coat hiding the movement of her throat.

Fiver looked from the fierce little girl in front of her to the shy serpent still hidden by the ink of the cave’s stomach, her eyes softening further.

“I’m sorry about your family.”

They both flinched, became statues. There was a period of silence reminiscent of an ocean.

“Will you really help us?” whispered the Imperial from the back of the cave.

She held back a smile at the sound of the dragon’s soft, reserved voice. “I’m searching,” she replied. “For a real home. Somewhere safe. For dragons like us.”

The Tundra’s suspicious eyes flashed in the light, but the Imperial pulled herself to her feet. “My name is Laylan.” Her head tilted towards the other. “That’s Felicity.” Turning back, Fiver could finally see the resigned green eyes over the dragon’s dusty snout. “Would you mind if we joined you?”

“Wait!” the Tundra’s voice scrambled for some purchase in the conversation, her head snapping back and forth between the older two. “We - we don’t even know her name!”

“It’s Fiver,” the Mirror filled in, smiling. “And I’d love to have you.”
xZZKi8r.png

Far away, deeper into the territory of the Plaguebringer, Mirrors with their sensitive noses to the ground followed the lost trail of a packmate only just grown. The biggest sat on a craggy outcropping of the lair they had seized for the night, eyes staring vacantly in the direction of the crimson sunset. If one looked closely, they could see, past the burning red reflection in each small globe, dark veins of madness creeping from its eyelids, each strand of the Shade in its eyes spiked with malice, hunger, and crazed desire.
rcLAyWj.png

The first item I got from Pinkerton was an Azure Lure, and since it’s a trinket that means drawing! I was hoping for a material so I could write, but I just did both for today to introduce the story!! First divider is by msb-lair on tumblr, and second is by banyan-fr on tumblr.
I’m not too happy with the writing of this one but that’s why I’m doing this - so I can improve! Hopefully the writing will get better.
The drawing was me getting used to the new program I’ve been using. Pretty cool so far. Anyway, see you next time!

[center][size=4][b]Day Two[/b][/size] [item=Fangback Figurine] [img]https://imgur.com/cC1aa9b.png[/img] [center][img]https://imgur.com/rcLAyWj.png[/img][/center] [size=2]EDIT: I forgot to recolour some of her lines so reuploaded... Another trinket so more drawing! I had originally intended to include Felicity in this but ran out of time and energy. Maybe the next time I pull a trinket I'll finish it up. This is the first time I've done a detailed drawing of a dragon with patterns.... it was very challenging but I like how it turned out. I love Laylan's colours so much... Divider by banyan-fr on tumblr. See you next time![/size]
Day Two
Fangback Figurine
cC1aa9b.png
rcLAyWj.png

EDIT: I forgot to recolour some of her lines so reuploaded...

Another trinket so more drawing! I had originally intended to include Felicity in this but ran out of time and energy. Maybe the next time I pull a trinket I'll finish it up. This is the first time I've done a detailed drawing of a dragon with patterns.... it was very challenging but I like how it turned out. I love Laylan's colours so much...

Divider by banyan-fr on tumblr. See you next time!
hi! i'd love to be on a pinglist for this!
hi! i'd love to be on a pinglist for this!
scotty will know
@HeatherAKARoses of course!! i'm glad youre interested! [emoji=tundra happy size=1]
@HeatherAKARoses of course!! i'm glad youre interested!
[center][b]Day Three [item=Unicorn Dust][/b] [img]https://imgur.com/vSpKMRu.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/LvQg2UT.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/rcLAyWj.png[/img][/center] [size=2]ANOTHER trinket. i guess pink really wanted me to finish that drawing. tundras are REALLY hard to draw, but maybe thats just cause theyre not my favourite breed. hopefully i get some writing or battling next because art ideas are hard to come by when theres only one addition to the story... Divider by banyan-fr on tumblr. See you next time! @HeatherAKARoses[/size]
Day Three
Unicorn Dust

vSpKMRu.png
LvQg2UT.png

rcLAyWj.png

ANOTHER trinket. i guess pink really wanted me to finish that drawing. tundras are REALLY hard to draw, but maybe thats just cause theyre not my favourite breed. hopefully i get some writing or battling next because art ideas are hard to come by when theres only one addition to the story...

@HeatherAKARoses
[center][size=4][b]Day Four[/b][/size] [item=Firecoiler] [b]Notable Drops:[/b] [item=Leafy Moth][item=Minor Health Potion][item=Leafy Pack] [img]https://imgur.com/rcLAyWj.png[/img][/center] [size=2]30 matches done and now Fiver and Laylan are level 4! Felicity's still a baby so she couldn't train with them unfortunately. I gave the leafy moth to fiver, maybe ill write something about that next time I get a material.... Divider by banyan-fr on tumblr. See you next time! @HeatherAKARoses[/size]
Day Four
Firecoiler

Notable Drops:
Leafy Moth Minor Health Potion Leafy Pack

rcLAyWj.png

30 matches done and now Fiver and Laylan are level 4! Felicity's still a baby so she couldn't train with them unfortunately. I gave the leafy moth to fiver, maybe ill write something about that next time I get a material....

@HeatherAKARoses
[center][size=4][b]Day Five[/b][/size] [item=Boxwood] [b]No notable drops![/b] [img]https://imgur.com/rcLAyWj.png[/img][/center] [size=2]I did 20 matches to level Felicity now that shes grown but shes still only level 3. this was a pretty boring one, sorry. Divider by banyan-fr on tumblr. See you next time! @HeatherAKARoses[/size]
Day Five
Boxwood

No notable drops!

rcLAyWj.png

I did 20 matches to level Felicity now that shes grown but shes still only level 3. this was a pretty boring one, sorry.

@HeatherAKARoses
I am very stressed about the matches, I don't know how you could do 30 matches without having a slight panic in you- good job so far, anyway! Pinkerton is treating you lightly ^^"
I am very stressed about the matches, I don't know how you could do 30 matches without having a slight panic in you- good job so far, anyway! Pinkerton is treating you lightly ^^"
scotty will know
1 2 3 4 5 6