Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ-18] Mistral Meals: CLOSED
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21283062] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/212831/21283062_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @Sidegrinder It takes a lot to unnerve Kakigori, and even then it takes some full on hostility or something just as blatant to cause her to turn tail and run. The Imperial waiting patiently in front of her wasn't doing anything of the sort and yet there was something about him that was making her feathers stand on end. Nothing seemed off about him or the food, but...no. She was being ridiculous. No one with ill intent ever came to these festivals so why on earth would she shirk her (admittedly reluctantly taken on) duties and skip over their entry?! ...In the end she ended up panicking just enough that she took a quick bite and mumbled something about it being good (despite not letting it linger in her mouth long enough to actually taste it) with lovely presentation and hurried onto the next contestant. @changelingstar Even if most of her coworkers were ok with it, Kakigori was not a fan of hatchlings in the kitchen, and tried not to grimace as the little Snapper made her way up to the judging counter with her chaperone in tow. [i]Be polite![/i] she could practically hear Meringue hiss in her ear and resisted making a comment about it. Judging was harder as she couldn't bring herself to be as blunt as she might have been with adult contestants. "It's not bad," she eventually managed, her gaze constantly flicking to Topaz by instinct as the adult despite knowing full well that it was Prim who'd dictated what cooking she didn't do on her own. "Was this your first time making something more complicated? Maybe you should stick with simpler dishes for the meantime until you've had more practice." ((I hope this doesn't discourage Prim! I'm eater to see more of her during the week :3 ))

@Sidegrinder

It takes a lot to unnerve Kakigori, and even then it takes some full on hostility or something just as blatant to cause her to turn tail and run.

The Imperial waiting patiently in front of her wasn't doing anything of the sort and yet there was something about him that was making her feathers stand on end. Nothing seemed off about him or the food, but...no. She was being ridiculous. No one with ill intent ever came to these festivals so why on earth would she shirk her (admittedly reluctantly taken on) duties and skip over their entry?!

...In the end she ended up panicking just enough that she took a quick bite and mumbled something about it being good (despite not letting it linger in her mouth long enough to actually taste it) with lovely presentation and hurried onto the next contestant.

@changelingstar

Even if most of her coworkers were ok with it, Kakigori was not a fan of hatchlings in the kitchen, and tried not to grimace as the little Snapper made her way up to the judging counter with her chaperone in tow. Be polite! she could practically hear Meringue hiss in her ear and resisted making a comment about it.

Judging was harder as she couldn't bring herself to be as blunt as she might have been with adult contestants. "It's not bad," she eventually managed, her gaze constantly flicking to Topaz by instinct as the adult despite knowing full well that it was Prim who'd dictated what cooking she didn't do on her own. "Was this your first time making something more complicated? Maybe you should stick with simpler dishes for the meantime until you've had more practice."

((I hope this doesn't discourage Prim! I'm eater to see more of her during the week :3 ))
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22321846][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/223219/22321846_350.png[/img][/url][/center] After thoroughly enjoying his year of competition at the previous Mistral Meals, ButtsPie was so excited to come back for another round. He headed right for the competition area once he reached the festival grounds. He tucked a small Pomeranian into his fluffy ruff before going to face the dragons at registration. "Stay in there Toby. I don't know if dogs are allowed." He had tried to leave the pup behind but it was just too attached to him. All he could do was hope it wouldn't become an issue. The Nocturne set up his workstation for the first challenge with more confidence than he'd had the previous year. He had skills, and everyone was here for the same reason he was; to have fun and make good food. ButtsPie had to think for a moment when the day's ingredients were announced. He rolled the black pepper with a claw as he considered his options. Normally he preferred to work with sweet peppers, not spicy peppers. After all, you couldn't get some dragons to eat spice. [i]And how to work in the spearmint...?[/i] [item=lesser dreadram][item=blacktongue pepper][item=spearmint][item=water lettuce][item=woodland acorn] After a minute of thinking ButtsPie got himself busy. He cut some of the dreadram into thin slices and decided to roast it just a bit. While the ram was cooking, because [i]of course[/i] he had to make his bread from scratch, he got started on the dough. Making dough was something he was very much used to and he went through the motions with a smile on his face. He would not need the whole loaf for his dish, but he was sure he could find a clanmate willing to take care of the rest of it. The dog, Toby, popped his head out while ButtsPie was kneading his dough. "You smell the meat?" ButtsPie asked, "I'll bet it's good!" The tiny dog let out a squeak of a bark in reply. "Okay, back you go. None of this is for you." He gently tucked the dog back into hiding and continued making his bread. The meat was about done when he put his bread in an oven. He left it on some embers just so it would stay warm. For his next step he decided to make a sweet and spicy spread with the blacktongue pepper and some cranberries. He reduced the cranberries to a nice paste and added just enough of the pepper to give it a little kick. When his bread was done he cut two slices and layered the meat, spread, some lettuce, and some crushed acorns for a bit of nutty flavor. He hadn't forgotten about the spearmint. For that he brewed some iced tea, flavored with the spearmint to make it an even "cooler" drink. Hopefully it would balance out the spice in his sandwich. [i]A sandwich is a nice warmup. I hope they like it![/i] He couldn't help munching on a piece of his bread as he waited for a judge to come by his station.
22321846_350.png
After thoroughly enjoying his year of competition at the previous Mistral Meals, ButtsPie was so excited to come back for another round. He headed right for the competition area once he reached the festival grounds. He tucked a small Pomeranian into his fluffy ruff before going to face the dragons at registration. "Stay in there Toby. I don't know if dogs are allowed." He had tried to leave the pup behind but it was just too attached to him. All he could do was hope it wouldn't become an issue.

The Nocturne set up his workstation for the first challenge with more confidence than he'd had the previous year. He had skills, and everyone was here for the same reason he was; to have fun and make good food. ButtsPie had to think for a moment when the day's ingredients were announced. He rolled the black pepper with a claw as he considered his options. Normally he preferred to work with sweet peppers, not spicy peppers. After all, you couldn't get some dragons to eat spice. And how to work in the spearmint...?
Lesser Dreadram Blacktongue Pepper Spearmint Water Lettuce Woodland Acorn
After a minute of thinking ButtsPie got himself busy. He cut some of the dreadram into thin slices and decided to roast it just a bit. While the ram was cooking, because of course he had to make his bread from scratch, he got started on the dough. Making dough was something he was very much used to and he went through the motions with a smile on his face. He would not need the whole loaf for his dish, but he was sure he could find a clanmate willing to take care of the rest of it. The dog, Toby, popped his head out while ButtsPie was kneading his dough.

"You smell the meat?" ButtsPie asked, "I'll bet it's good!" The tiny dog let out a squeak of a bark in reply. "Okay, back you go. None of this is for you." He gently tucked the dog back into hiding and continued making his bread.

The meat was about done when he put his bread in an oven. He left it on some embers just so it would stay warm. For his next step he decided to make a sweet and spicy spread with the blacktongue pepper and some cranberries. He reduced the cranberries to a nice paste and added just enough of the pepper to give it a little kick. When his bread was done he cut two slices and layered the meat, spread, some lettuce, and some crushed acorns for a bit of nutty flavor.

He hadn't forgotten about the spearmint. For that he brewed some iced tea, flavored with the spearmint to make it an even "cooler" drink. Hopefully it would balance out the spice in his sandwich. A sandwich is a nice warmup. I hope they like it! He couldn't help munching on a piece of his bread as he waited for a judge to come by his station.

xeDKNxe.pngeNitZGp.gif
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21283062] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/212831/21283062_350.png[/img] [/url] @dividedAnimus Kakigori had caught some rather tantalizing baking smells coming from the Nocturne's station, which was impressive as she was rather biased against Meringue's bread and would frequently include variants of it in her traveling supplies. As a result, she strategically stationed herself by ButtsPie's work space so she could swoop in as soon as it was ready without having to be flagged down. The sandwich was worth the wait. The taste was fantastic and paired, but despite acknowledging that there was one major flaw she couldn't overlook. "There...appears to be hair in your dish," she says with a frown, picking some orange and white fur out of her mouth and taking a closer look at the dish. "Is your coat and tail shedding? You might want to consider some other apparel to avoid that sort of accident ruining any other dishes this week." For a moment she swears she sees said coat rustling out of the corner of her eye, but it seems to have stopped when she looks up. She rubs her eyes with a frown before taking another sip of the tea and moving on. [i]It's just getting late is all.[/i]

21283062_350.png

@dividedAnimus

Kakigori had caught some rather tantalizing baking smells coming from the Nocturne's station, which was impressive as she was rather biased against Meringue's bread and would frequently include variants of it in her traveling supplies. As a result, she strategically stationed herself by ButtsPie's work space so she could swoop in as soon as it was ready without having to be flagged down.

The sandwich was worth the wait. The taste was fantastic and paired, but despite acknowledging that there was one major flaw she couldn't overlook. "There...appears to be hair in your dish," she says with a frown, picking some orange and white fur out of her mouth and taking a closer look at the dish. "Is your coat and tail shedding? You might want to consider some other apparel to avoid that sort of accident ruining any other dishes this week."

For a moment she swears she sees said coat rustling out of the corner of her eye, but it seems to have stopped when she looks up. She rubs her eyes with a frown before taking another sip of the tea and moving on. It's just getting late is all.
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=32303281][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/coliseum/portraits/323033/32303281.png[/img][/url][/center] [rule] A cooking competition? Make any dish you can think of? Its not what Dara had planned for the first day of festivities, but following an impromptu decision the spiral found herself fluttering eagerly to her workstation. A bright grin wrinkled her face as she slipped off her bracelets and arm silks and stuffed them away. She paused briefly once her body settled on the ground, eyes closing. [i]Yes,[/i] she thought. [i]A pie with fillings of ram and . . . and jam![/i] Her eyes slid open as she began to move, collecting the ingredients she would need. Dara knew exactly what type of jam she would concoct. Fig jam. Her grin turned to a mirthful smirk. The spiral began with snatching up a slab of raw [b]lesser dreadram[/b] meat and slicing it into thin strips. She placed the meat strips onto a grill and stirred the fire beneath it to life. Some quickly minced [b]blacktongue pepper[/b] and siltvine were tossed onto to meat as it cooked. As the strips of ram cooked, Dara blended together the jam, tossing in [b]spearmint[/b] and her secret ingredient . . . butcher's fig. For the pie's crust she opted to use a premade one, having only ever tasted pie crust and never created. Once the ram was finished she poured the jam into the pie's belly and weaved the meat strips into a spiral pattern on top. Dara gazed at the pie for a moment before giving a satisfied nod. It was ready. [rule] [center][b]Ingredients[/b] [item=lesser dreadram][item=butcher's fig][item=spearmint][item=blacktongue pepper][item=siltvine][/center] [rule] [center][size=2]Edit: Fixed the coding.[/size][/center]
32303281.png

A cooking competition? Make any dish you can think of? Its not what Dara had planned for the first day of festivities, but following an impromptu decision the spiral found herself fluttering eagerly to her workstation. A bright grin wrinkled her face as she slipped off her bracelets and arm silks and stuffed them away. She paused briefly once her body settled on the ground, eyes closing.

Yes, she thought. A pie with fillings of ram and . . . and jam! Her eyes slid open as she began to move, collecting the ingredients she would need. Dara knew exactly what type of jam she would concoct. Fig jam. Her grin turned to a mirthful smirk.

The spiral began with snatching up a slab of raw lesser dreadram meat and slicing it into thin strips. She placed the meat strips onto a grill and stirred the fire beneath it to life. Some quickly minced blacktongue pepper and siltvine were tossed onto to meat as it cooked.

As the strips of ram cooked, Dara blended together the jam, tossing in spearmint and her secret ingredient . . . butcher's fig.

For the pie's crust she opted to use a premade one, having only ever tasted pie crust and never created.

Once the ram was finished she poured the jam into the pie's belly and weaved the meat strips into a spiral pattern on top. Dara gazed at the pie for a moment before giving a satisfied nod. It was ready.

Ingredients

Lesser Dreadram Butcher's Fig Spearmint Blacktongue Pepper Siltvine

Edit: Fixed the coding.
@eialyne Please add me to the daily pinglist! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=33070705] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/330708/33070705_350.png[/img] [/url] Hecate was no stranger to cooking competitions, but she was new to the Mistral Jamboree. She hummed to herself as she looked through the piles of ingredients in front of her. So many different things were calling out her name, and she couldn't quite dedicate herself to one thought. Suddenly, a high pitched squealed could be heard from her corner of the room, as Hecate clasped her hands together with excitement. Greek meatballs, of course! She hurriedly threw herself into her work grabbing: oil, lemons, grated potatoes, ground dreadram, chopped onions, chopped blacktongue pepper, breadcrumbs, parsley, spearmint, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper. She began by heating the oil in the deep fryer, then threw all other ingredients into a large mixing bowl. She stirred quickly and vigorously, allowing the ingredients to merge and clump together. Once she was satisfied with her mix, she placed the mixing bowl back on her station and spread out a piece or parchment paper. Hecate reached into the bowl and shaped small chunks of the mix into balls, then placed them on the paper to wait. Once the mix was all gone, she placed them into the fryer a few at a time. Hecate seemed to shake with excitement as she waited for each batch to finish cooking. She pulled them out just as they became golden brown, and made sure each set was cooked thoroughly. She served them, four at a time, with pita bread and lemons slices for the judge.
@eialyne
Please add me to the daily pinglist!

33070705_350.png

Hecate was no stranger to cooking competitions, but she was new to the Mistral Jamboree. She hummed to herself as she looked through the piles of ingredients in front of her. So many different things were calling out her name, and she couldn't quite dedicate herself to one thought.

Suddenly, a high pitched squealed could be heard from her corner of the room, as Hecate clasped her hands together with excitement. Greek meatballs, of course! She hurriedly threw herself into her work grabbing: oil, lemons, grated potatoes, ground dreadram, chopped onions, chopped blacktongue pepper, breadcrumbs, parsley, spearmint, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.

She began by heating the oil in the deep fryer, then threw all other ingredients into a large mixing bowl. She stirred quickly and vigorously, allowing the ingredients to merge and clump together. Once she was satisfied with her mix, she placed the mixing bowl back on her station and spread out a piece or parchment paper. Hecate reached into the bowl and shaped small chunks of the mix into balls, then placed them on the paper to wait. Once the mix was all gone, she placed them into the fryer a few at a time.

Hecate seemed to shake with excitement as she waited for each batch to finish cooking. She pulled them out just as they became golden brown, and made sure each set was cooked thoroughly. She served them, four at a time, with pita bread and lemons slices for the judge.

Clan_Emblem_Cheshly.png

FR +3
She/Her
Clan Lore
Challenge Log
Wishlist & Goals
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=35291729] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/352918/35291729_350.png[/img] [/url] Crow honestly didn't know what he was doing here- he was more accustomed to having meals already prepared for him upon his treks than actually preparing said meals himself, and when he had first gotten hurried into the kitchens he had rather awkwardly stood round until someone had shooed him in the direction of one of the preparation areas, clearly intent to make him see just what he was capable of in the kitchen. Sighing heavily, the armor-clad Snapper made his way over to where the ingredients were laid out, running an analytical eye over them for a moment as a pondering expression came to his face. "What to do with these?" he wondered, sitting and scratching at his horns absent-mindedly. "Surely a standard piece of meat won't wow any of the judges. But perhaps-" He was more accustomed to fighting than cooking, but having earned a rudimentary knowledge of how to move about a kitchen meant that Crow set right to work. Deftly measuring out small pawfuls of the [b]spearmint[/b] and [b]blacktongue pepper[/b], he was quick to dash to a shelf full of seasonings, his eyes roaming over every inch until he was able to find what he needed. Grabbing some [b]garlic[/b] that was pleasantly granulated already and some [b]salt[/b], he began to carefully stir the ingredients together along with the pepper, watching until he had formed small enough granules of each of the substances while also being careful to measure out precise pawfuls so as to not (purposefully, anyway) overwhelm the palate of the judge with one spice or another. The ingredients would form a rub that he would set aside for the time-being, turning his attention to the meat of the [b]dreadram[/b] next. Though it secretly pained him to see an animal that was the same species as his beloved familiar being used as food, he understood the importance of using whatever good meat was available to make a meal, and he quickly set to work, determined to not let his personal feelings get in the way of making a passable dish. He was quick to take the meat of the [b]dreadram[/b], searching for any sizeable piece that might be easy to make a rack of lamb out of- ah, there was a portion that could work!- before cutting the extra meat back from the bones, taking the small portion that he had and setting it in a pan so that he might be able to rub the mixture that he had made a few minutes prior onto it. Crow was careful to handle the meat gently despite his size, carefully rubbing it into the mixture that he had made earlier so that the spices were distributed evenly along the surface. For a moment he debated sprinkling more of the pepper upon the surface as a finishing touch- some recipe that he'd read in his travels recommended it- but quickly decided against it. This thing was going to be spicy enough once he was done with it, he didn't very well want the pepper being the [i]only[/i] thing that the judge was going to taste! Instead he grabbed a bag and a small vial of [b]olive oil[/b], filling the bag before plopping the meat into it, letting the rack slowly come to room temperature as he turned his attention to the ovens strewn throughout the room. After finding a suitable surface and leaving a small blaze to slowly start forming, Crow turned his attention back to the dish- yes, he could score the fat, rub some salt in, and make a wonderful rack of lamb, if all went according to plan. Making sure his cuts were more or less an inch apart (Crow would never admit that he actually had to eyeball such a thing, more accustomed to fighting enemies at close range than actually preparing a recipe in the same way), the Snapper warrior took a sharp knife and carefully scored the fat from the meat, dropping it into a separate pan- who knew, perhaps the fat could be used for something beneficial later, or so his non-cooking inclined mind liked to think. Using a pinch of the [b]salt[/b] and [b]pepper[/b], the Snapper warrior was quick to sprinkle the flavorings on top of the ram before placing it on a roasting pan, being sure to use a small spell of his own creation to ensure that the meat would not burn and stick to the pan. He wanted to be courteous to his competitors that might use the dish later, after all. Leaving the meat to brown, he then set to work cutting the [b]spearmint[/b], planning to use it as a garnish once the main body of meat was done cooking. Dicing it into small but usable segments, Crow took a moment to look over the preparation of his dish before turning the heat down on the oven, whistling a jaunty tune that he had heard in his travels- if anyone asked, he would [i]strongly[/i] deny that it was a modified version of a drinking shanty- while he waited. A quick glance-over and an insert of something vaguely resembling a meat thermometer once the meat was done, and Crow was quick to plate his dish by slicing lamb chops off of the main body of meat, slicing between the bones and sprinkling the spearmint on top as the finishing touch before presenting his work to the judge. "Ahem. This would be....rack of lamb with spearmint garnish, I believe, madam. I don't...think it's a bad attempt for my first time?" Hopefully she wouldn't be [i]too[/i] eager to tear a hole in his ego if it wasn't. (@Eialyne would love to be added to the pinglist for this or whatever! I've watched other years of this and been really REALLY excited to try it when it opened up this year. Forgive the disjointed writing, I am NOT used to creating cooking scenes at all :P Loosely based off of [url]https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/classic_rack_of_lamb/[/url] this recipe for rack of lamb)

35291729_350.png

Crow honestly didn't know what he was doing here- he was more accustomed to having meals already prepared for him upon his treks than actually preparing said meals himself, and when he had first gotten hurried into the kitchens he had rather awkwardly stood round until someone had shooed him in the direction of one of the preparation areas, clearly intent to make him see just what he was capable of in the kitchen. Sighing heavily, the armor-clad Snapper made his way over to where the ingredients were laid out, running an analytical eye over them for a moment as a pondering expression came to his face. "What to do with these?" he wondered, sitting and scratching at his horns absent-mindedly. "Surely a standard piece of meat won't wow any of the judges. But perhaps-"

He was more accustomed to fighting than cooking, but having earned a rudimentary knowledge of how to move about a kitchen meant that Crow set right to work. Deftly measuring out small pawfuls of the spearmint and blacktongue pepper, he was quick to dash to a shelf full of seasonings, his eyes roaming over every inch until he was able to find what he needed. Grabbing some garlic that was pleasantly granulated already and some salt, he began to carefully stir the ingredients together along with the pepper, watching until he had formed small enough granules of each of the substances while also being careful to measure out precise pawfuls so as to not (purposefully, anyway) overwhelm the palate of the judge with one spice or another. The ingredients would form a rub that he would set aside for the time-being, turning his attention to the meat of the dreadram next. Though it secretly pained him to see an animal that was the same species as his beloved familiar being used as food, he understood the importance of using whatever good meat was available to make a meal, and he quickly set to work, determined to not let his personal feelings get in the way of making a passable dish.

He was quick to take the meat of the dreadram, searching for any sizeable piece that might be easy to make a rack of lamb out of- ah, there was a portion that could work!- before cutting the extra meat back from the bones, taking the small portion that he had and setting it in a pan so that he might be able to rub the mixture that he had made a few minutes prior onto it. Crow was careful to handle the meat gently despite his size, carefully rubbing it into the mixture that he had made earlier so that the spices were distributed evenly along the surface. For a moment he debated sprinkling more of the pepper upon the surface as a finishing touch- some recipe that he'd read in his travels recommended it- but quickly decided against it. This thing was going to be spicy enough once he was done with it, he didn't very well want the pepper being the only thing that the judge was going to taste! Instead he grabbed a bag and a small vial of olive oil, filling the bag before plopping the meat into it, letting the rack slowly come to room temperature as he turned his attention to the ovens strewn throughout the room.

After finding a suitable surface and leaving a small blaze to slowly start forming, Crow turned his attention back to the dish- yes, he could score the fat, rub some salt in, and make a wonderful rack of lamb, if all went according to plan. Making sure his cuts were more or less an inch apart (Crow would never admit that he actually had to eyeball such a thing, more accustomed to fighting enemies at close range than actually preparing a recipe in the same way), the Snapper warrior took a sharp knife and carefully scored the fat from the meat, dropping it into a separate pan- who knew, perhaps the fat could be used for something beneficial later, or so his non-cooking inclined mind liked to think. Using a pinch of the salt and pepper, the Snapper warrior was quick to sprinkle the flavorings on top of the ram before placing it on a roasting pan, being sure to use a small spell of his own creation to ensure that the meat would not burn and stick to the pan. He wanted to be courteous to his competitors that might use the dish later, after all.

Leaving the meat to brown, he then set to work cutting the spearmint, planning to use it as a garnish once the main body of meat was done cooking. Dicing it into small but usable segments, Crow took a moment to look over the preparation of his dish before turning the heat down on the oven, whistling a jaunty tune that he had heard in his travels- if anyone asked, he would strongly deny that it was a modified version of a drinking shanty- while he waited. A quick glance-over and an insert of something vaguely resembling a meat thermometer once the meat was done, and Crow was quick to plate his dish by slicing lamb chops off of the main body of meat, slicing between the bones and sprinkling the spearmint on top as the finishing touch before presenting his work to the judge. "Ahem. This would be....rack of lamb with spearmint garnish, I believe, madam. I don't...think it's a bad attempt for my first time?" Hopefully she wouldn't be too eager to tear a hole in his ego if it wasn't.

(@Eialyne would love to be added to the pinglist for this or whatever! I've watched other years of this and been really REALLY excited to try it when it opened up this year. Forgive the disjointed writing, I am NOT used to creating cooking scenes at all :P

Loosely based off of https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/classic_rack_of_lamb/ this recipe for rack of lamb)
6bbcbe9acf989176baa27b08e3311178ac4b7a7c.gif
((I love it when entries and the RNG align just perfectly enough that I get to play off of them in sequences like this...even if really terrible things happen ">>)) [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21283062] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/212831/21283062_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @Skyfire7 Kakigori hated butcher's figs. Sure, they tasted pretty good when tasted right, but the stains left behind by the juice took [i]ages[/i] to clean out of her scales and feathers, even with using magical assistance. Even worse she wasn't sure if it's inclusion had been worth it. "The dreadram was prepared nicely and perfectly seasoned," she commented, distracted a bit with trying to scrub at some glaring red droplets that had appeared on her claws despite how careful she'd tried to be in eating without spilling anything, "The fig and spearmint doesn't go at all though unfortunately. A sweeter fruit may have been the better choice there since you wouldn't have been able to disregard the spearmit instead." @Cheshly It wasn't that Kakigori was a [i]vain[/i] dragon. She liked to look presentable when meeting with clients or potential customers, but there was just something about butcher's fig juice that drove her up a wall with it's inability to get off. She's so preoccupied with this annoyance from the entry she'd just judged that she doesn't see Hecate and practially slams right into her, sending meatballs rolling everywhere. "I'm so sorry," she apologizes, genuinely meaning it despite her general attitude and flags Gourmet down once confirming that there weren't any meatballs that had been spared being knocked to the ground, "Let us provide you with some packed lunches that you can take home with you since you won't be able to bring your own dish." @Lonefox The day had started off [i]so well[/i]. A rather good selection of food...no explosions...no injuries...and yet some Shade-cursed [i]fig stains[/i] had apparently set off some sort of chain reaction to close the day out with a bang. Literally. While the meatballs from Hectate's dish had gone mostly rolling on the ground, the pita had ended up on another dragon's grill, resulting in a flareup which resulted in said dragon frantically looking for something to douse it with. Securing a fire extinguishing charm (baskets of them placed stratigicaly around all equipment that utilized an open flame just for this sort of situation) he hurled it at the first source of flames that he saw. Unfortunately his workstation neighbor was Crow and in his panic had mistaken the fiery glow of the Snapper for the oven fire. Needless to say, judging Crows entry wasn't top of Kakigori's priority list as she shouted for Gourmet's help in remedying the mess to the best of their ability.
((I love it when entries and the RNG align just perfectly enough that I get to play off of them in sequences like this...even if really terrible things happen ">>))

@Skyfire7

Kakigori hated butcher's figs. Sure, they tasted pretty good when tasted right, but the stains left behind by the juice took ages to clean out of her scales and feathers, even with using magical assistance.

Even worse she wasn't sure if it's inclusion had been worth it. "The dreadram was prepared nicely and perfectly seasoned," she commented, distracted a bit with trying to scrub at some glaring red droplets that had appeared on her claws despite how careful she'd tried to be in eating without spilling anything, "The fig and spearmint doesn't go at all though unfortunately. A sweeter fruit may have been the better choice there since you wouldn't have been able to disregard the spearmit instead."

@Cheshly

It wasn't that Kakigori was a vain dragon. She liked to look presentable when meeting with clients or potential customers, but there was just something about butcher's fig juice that drove her up a wall with it's inability to get off.

She's so preoccupied with this annoyance from the entry she'd just judged that she doesn't see Hecate and practially slams right into her, sending meatballs rolling everywhere.

"I'm so sorry," she apologizes, genuinely meaning it despite her general attitude and flags Gourmet down once confirming that there weren't any meatballs that had been spared being knocked to the ground, "Let us provide you with some packed lunches that you can take home with you since you won't be able to bring your own dish."

@Lonefox

The day had started off so well. A rather good selection of food...no explosions...no injuries...and yet some Shade-cursed fig stains had apparently set off some sort of chain reaction to close the day out with a bang.

Literally.

While the meatballs from Hectate's dish had gone mostly rolling on the ground, the pita had ended up on another dragon's grill, resulting in a flareup which resulted in said dragon frantically looking for something to douse it with. Securing a fire extinguishing charm (baskets of them placed stratigicaly around all equipment that utilized an open flame just for this sort of situation) he hurled it at the first source of flames that he saw.

Unfortunately his workstation neighbor was Crow and in his panic had mistaken the fiery glow of the Snapper for the oven fire.

Needless to say, judging Crows entry wasn't top of Kakigori's priority list as she shouted for Gourmet's help in remedying the mess to the best of their ability.
[A disclaimer: I have never made jam in my life, but as far as I can tell from google it needs to set (or something) for 24 hrs before use. We don't have that kind of time so let's assume they've got a spell and/or machine to speed the process] [right][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20968521]Soteria[/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/209686/20968521.png?mtime=VsSzAAAAMdA.png[/img][/right] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20112748]Gelos[/url] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/201128/20112748.png?mtime=VwysdQAASdw.png[/img] An overeager Spiral has knocked over everything at his station at least once, and he hasn't even started yet. His mixing bowl takes another tumble as he bounces with excitement at the sight of a tiny dark Fae making her way toward him. "[i]Soteria![/i] What are you doing here? Are you entering the contest, too?" She makes a noise that might have been a snort, and covers it up with a cough. Her clanmate, already diving to the ground to retrieve his unfortunate bowl, does not notice. "No. Mom sent me to..." She surveys the chaotic station before her, choosing her words carefully. "...[i]assist[/i] you. Gelos beams in excitement. "Tell your mother she doesn't have to worry - I'll do our clan proud!" Even as he turns back to the table, a whisk goes flying. Soteria leaps into the air to catch it. Gelos winces. "Or... I suppose you could stay and catch things." She deposits the whisk safely on the table and finds a perch upon a nearby rail. "It's what I'm here for. So, what are we working with?" Gelos squints at the scrap of paper upon which today's challenge has been written. "Let's see, we've got... spearmint, blacktongue pepper..." Soteria is nodding in approval. "Not too bad, you can always get herbs and spices to play off each other in interesting ways-" "...and lesser dreadram." "...what?" ~Later~ Soteria peers doubtfully over the rim of the saucepan. "Um, are you sure that this is really, like... a type of jam?" "Yes! Well. Not this [i]exactly[/i], but my mom used to make jellies and jams all the time! She definitely made jelly with mint and jalapeno, and once with mint and habanero - that one was my favorite, but my sister turned out to be allergic to the peppers, so she never made it again. But I've modified the recipe she used to use, and my blacktongue-spearmint jelly will be [i]fantastic[/i], thank-you-very-much!" "It doesn't [i]smell [/i]fantastic." "Soteria. Of course [i]you [/i]don't think it smells good. You're a Fae! You can only eat BUGS!" "Okay, okay!" ~Later~ "I... I know I said I'd stop criticizing, but are you sure about this?" Gelos stops spooning the jelly into its little bowl to glare. "Soteria, have you ever cooked anything in your [i]life[/i]." His voice is unamused, but he can hardly banish her - her fast thinking had stopped his clumsiness for ruining his entry nearly two dozen times. "Fine. Shutting up." "For your information," he tells her as he carefully arranges strips of his slow-roasted dreadram on the serving plate, "meat served with jelly - mint jelly, in particular - is a traditional springtime meal... for those of us who can [i]digest [/i]meat, that is." Soteria eyes the platter speculatively. "Hm. Well, it sure looks pretty, I'll give you that. He bites his tongue as he places his last sprig of spearmint on the platter, accenting the meticulous spread of meat splayed around the tiny jelly-bowl like rays from a sun. "And.... done."
[A disclaimer: I have never made jam in my life, but as far as I can tell from google it needs to set (or something) for 24 hrs before use. We don't have that kind of time so let's assume they've got a spell and/or machine to speed the process]

Gelos
20112748.png?mtime=VwysdQAASdw.png

An overeager Spiral has knocked over everything at his station at least once, and he hasn't even started yet. His mixing bowl takes another tumble as he bounces with excitement at the sight of a tiny dark Fae making her way toward him.

"Soteria! What are you doing here? Are you entering the contest, too?"

She makes a noise that might have been a snort, and covers it up with a cough. Her clanmate, already diving to the ground to retrieve his unfortunate bowl, does not notice. "No. Mom sent me to..." She surveys the chaotic station before her, choosing her words carefully. "...assist you.

Gelos beams in excitement. "Tell your mother she doesn't have to worry - I'll do our clan proud!"

Even as he turns back to the table, a whisk goes flying. Soteria leaps into the air to catch it.

Gelos winces. "Or... I suppose you could stay and catch things."

She deposits the whisk safely on the table and finds a perch upon a nearby rail. "It's what I'm here for. So, what are we working with?"

Gelos squints at the scrap of paper upon which today's challenge has been written. "Let's see, we've got... spearmint, blacktongue pepper..."

Soteria is nodding in approval. "Not too bad, you can always get herbs and spices to play off each other in interesting ways-"

"...and lesser dreadram."

"...what?"

~Later~

Soteria peers doubtfully over the rim of the saucepan. "Um, are you sure that this is really, like... a type of jam?"

"Yes! Well. Not this exactly, but my mom used to make jellies and jams all the time! She definitely made jelly with mint and jalapeno, and once with mint and habanero - that one was my favorite, but my sister turned out to be allergic to the peppers, so she never made it again. But I've modified the recipe she used to use, and my blacktongue-spearmint jelly will be fantastic, thank-you-very-much!"

"It doesn't smell fantastic."

"Soteria. Of course you don't think it smells good. You're a Fae! You can only eat BUGS!"

"Okay, okay!"

~Later~

"I... I know I said I'd stop criticizing, but are you sure about this?"

Gelos stops spooning the jelly into its little bowl to glare. "Soteria, have you ever cooked anything in your life." His voice is unamused, but he can hardly banish her - her fast thinking had stopped his clumsiness for ruining his entry nearly two dozen times.

"Fine. Shutting up."

"For your information," he tells her as he carefully arranges strips of his slow-roasted dreadram on the serving plate, "meat served with jelly - mint jelly, in particular - is a traditional springtime meal... for those of us who can digest meat, that is."

Soteria eyes the platter speculatively. "Hm. Well, it sure looks pretty, I'll give you that.

He bites his tongue as he places his last sprig of spearmint on the platter, accenting the meticulous spread of meat splayed around the tiny jelly-bowl like rays from a sun. "And.... done."
Artemis | She/her | FR+1
@SilverQuark You seem to have found your way to last year's Mistral Meals page and not the current one, so pinging you here now!

@IngeniousSpark @Perrydotto @L1BR4 @JinxMoonstone @ArcticFire @Tomata @Cheshly @Lonefox

Day 2 is up!
@SilverQuark You seem to have found your way to last year's Mistral Meals page and not the current one, so pinging you here now!

@IngeniousSpark @Perrydotto @L1BR4 @JinxMoonstone @ArcticFire @Tomata @Cheshly @Lonefox

Day 2 is up!
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=30337570] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/303376/30337570_350.png[/img] [/url] And once again, Diesel had slightly... 'misbehaved'. Maybe that was the best way to put it, even though it might have been a small understatement for the fact that he had [i]bitten[/i] another dragon just because of a little disagreement. But what could he say? He had a vivid temperament. This was definetely not fair- his clan could have locked him up or sent him home. They could even have thrown him into the endless spiral of extra hours for the big boss, but no... they had chosen [i]this[/i] punishment. Cooking. Great Diesel, strongest of them all (except in his own measurement) was downgraded to a simple cook... his shame could not have been bigger if he had been given a cone of shame. At least no one had made him wear a chief's hat. So far. With a dramatic sight that spoke of nothing but misery, he entered the kitchen. At least he would be able to keep on munching his own creations... the judges wouldn't notice if he only served them like, half a plate, would they? He would just cook his favourite dishes, maybe extra salty dried sharks or spicy ink fish... or deep fried crabs, ha! Let those judges lose their teeth while trying to eat his menu. The Ridgeback was still busy snickering at his own evil plan (very evil, indeed), when he saw the ingredients that had been prepared for him already. He stopped dead, his eyes showing nothing but utter disbelief- as if he was looking at a tunnel leading to outter space and the Shade itself instead of simple plants. But maybe the difference between dragonkind's greatest enemy and that vegetable stuff wasn't even that big. "You can't be serious... I'm supposed to cook with that? With... TUNDRAFOOD!?" He snorted -Ridgebacks are rather skilled at snorting-, then prodded the colorful leaves with a claw as if he was fearing they might grow claws and teeth any second now. "Uh... I cannot even try those to check whether they are good..." Another long sigh, this time it wasn't even a simple act, and he sunk his head as if he needed some meditation over this. Should he simply shred those flowers, label them as a 'salad' and be done with it? Or should he actually put some effort into this? Usually he didn't even put any effort into anything except fighting and messing with his enemies (and clanmates, and strangers, and familiars, and inanimate onjects), but this time... maybe he should? Not to please the judges, of course, but rather to avoid being sent here again the next day... his clanmates, those monsters, probably had the guts to send him through this torture more than once. Alright, the die is cast. He would just try to give his best, it couldn't be /that/ hard, and then go back to the actual festivities and have some fun or scare some hatchlings (not that those activities excluded each other). Still showing an actorly grimace, he picked up a few of those [b]winterbelles[/b] and started to cut them into fine pieces. Doing so, he suddenly had an idea- even though he had to use these ingredients, he was not forbidden to use fish, was he? Curiously he sniffed through the storage and checked for what seafood he could find, then returned with various kinds of clams. With more caution than most dragons would have gave him credit for, he seperated the slimy flesh from the shells, but the didn't throw the shiny exteriors away yet. And he only sneaked a clawful of them into his mouth- no one could blame him, right, he needed some energy for this task after all. Another glance into the storage and he returned with even more seafood, this time a few starfish- he had only picked the brightest, but various colors. Yeah, this was something he could work with. Diesel started to roll the delicate mussels in flour and spices, mostly hot variants but also some cinnamon to cause an interesting aroma, and then deep fried them until they turned into an appetizing, sandy color. He put them onto a plate, forming a heap, then placed the starfish around them- he had only shortly stir-fried them, so they would keep their vivid color, and he had used less spices because they already had a rich flavor on their own. Then he scattered the shredded winterbelle all over the clams, so the white color would interact with the browny color of the meat and make it look fresh. Next thing, he carefully placed the cleaned shells on the plate too, forming some kind of half bow around the food- it was only decorative, but it made the whole plate look a lot more elegant. Diesel made sure to throw away all the shells with holes or scratches, too... now that he had decided to put effort into it, he would go all the way. Finally, he took the [b]heart roses[/b] and [b]blue roses [/b] (were those even different flowers or the same green stuff in different colors? Ah, who cared...) and plugged out the leaves, but this time he made sure to leave them whole. He then mixed them together, added a few other, smaller flowers without having any idea what to call them, and also put in some vinegar and pressed oranges to create a sweet-sour dressing that would go well with the musky taste of the seafood. Lastly, he placed his rosy salad on the side of the seafood, opposite to the decorative shell pattern- he wouldn't try the flowers, they would taste like greasy grass to his carnivore palate anyway, but it looked decently and it didn't smell bad either, so he thought he would have a good chance of getting a high enough score to satisfy his clanmates. And if the score was high enough, he would even go home bragging about it. Yes, that was Diesel- he had the ability to brag about pretty much anything.

30337570_350.png

And once again, Diesel had slightly... 'misbehaved'. Maybe that was the best way to put it, even though it might have been a small understatement for the fact that he had bitten another dragon just because of a little disagreement. But what could he say? He had a vivid temperament.
This was definetely not fair- his clan could have locked him up or sent him home. They could even have thrown him into the endless spiral of extra hours for the big boss, but no... they had chosen this punishment.
Cooking.
Great Diesel, strongest of them all (except in his own measurement) was downgraded to a simple cook... his shame could not have been bigger if he had been given a cone of shame. At least no one had made him wear a chief's hat. So far.

With a dramatic sight that spoke of nothing but misery, he entered the kitchen.
At least he would be able to keep on munching his own creations... the judges wouldn't notice if he only served them like, half a plate, would they?
He would just cook his favourite dishes, maybe extra salty dried sharks or spicy ink fish... or deep fried crabs, ha! Let those judges lose their teeth while trying to eat his menu.
The Ridgeback was still busy snickering at his own evil plan (very evil, indeed), when he saw the ingredients that had been prepared for him already. He stopped dead, his eyes showing nothing but utter disbelief- as if he was looking at a tunnel leading to outter space and the Shade itself instead of simple plants. But maybe the difference between dragonkind's greatest enemy and that vegetable stuff wasn't even that big.
"You can't be serious... I'm supposed to cook with that? With... TUNDRAFOOD!?"
He snorted -Ridgebacks are rather skilled at snorting-, then prodded the colorful leaves with a claw as if he was fearing they might grow claws and teeth any second now.
"Uh... I cannot even try those to check whether they are good..."
Another long sigh, this time it wasn't even a simple act, and he sunk his head as if he needed some meditation over this.
Should he simply shred those flowers, label them as a 'salad' and be done with it? Or should he actually put some effort into this? Usually he didn't even put any effort into anything except fighting and messing with his enemies (and clanmates, and strangers, and familiars, and inanimate onjects), but this time... maybe he should?
Not to please the judges, of course, but rather to avoid being sent here again the next day... his clanmates, those monsters, probably had the guts to send him through this torture more than once.

Alright, the die is cast.
He would just try to give his best, it couldn't be /that/ hard, and then go back to the actual festivities and have some fun or scare some hatchlings (not that those activities excluded each other).
Still showing an actorly grimace, he picked up a few of those winterbelles and started to cut them into fine pieces.
Doing so, he suddenly had an idea- even though he had to use these ingredients, he was not forbidden to use fish, was he?
Curiously he sniffed through the storage and checked for what seafood he could find, then returned with various kinds of clams. With more caution than most dragons would have gave him credit for, he seperated the slimy flesh from the shells, but the didn't throw the shiny exteriors away yet. And he only sneaked a clawful of them into his mouth- no one could blame him, right, he needed some energy for this task after all.
Another glance into the storage and he returned with even more seafood, this time a few starfish- he had only picked the brightest, but various colors. Yeah, this was something he could work with.
Diesel started to roll the delicate mussels in flour and spices, mostly hot variants but also some cinnamon to cause an interesting aroma, and then deep fried them until they turned into an appetizing, sandy color.
He put them onto a plate, forming a heap, then placed the starfish around them- he had only shortly stir-fried them, so they would keep their vivid color, and he had used less spices because they already had a rich flavor on their own. Then he scattered the shredded winterbelle all over the clams, so the white color would interact with the browny color of the meat and make it look fresh.
Next thing, he carefully placed the cleaned shells on the plate too, forming some kind of half bow around the food- it was only decorative, but it made the whole plate look a lot more elegant. Diesel made sure to throw away all the shells with holes or scratches, too... now that he had decided to put effort into it, he would go all the way.
Finally, he took the heart roses and blue roses (were those even different flowers or the same green stuff in different colors? Ah, who cared...) and plugged out the leaves, but this time he made sure to leave them whole. He then mixed them together, added a few other, smaller flowers without having any idea what to call them, and also put in some vinegar and pressed oranges to create a sweet-sour dressing that would go well with the musky taste of the seafood.
Lastly, he placed his rosy salad on the side of the seafood, opposite to the decorative shell pattern- he wouldn't try the flowers, they would taste like greasy grass to his carnivore palate anyway, but it looked decently and it didn't smell bad either, so he thought he would have a good chance of getting a high enough score to satisfy his clanmates.
And if the score was high enough, he would even go home bragging about it. Yes, that was Diesel- he had the ability to brag about pretty much anything.
qR6otwA.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22