Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Project 51: Rosalind's Gene Journey
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Noivurn Yes, it's totally fine to ping, no worries! :) I've moved it over.

Goodluck with your quest! :)
@Noivurn Yes, it's totally fine to ping, no worries! :) I've moved it over.

Goodluck with your quest! :)
@Gaia Thank you!
@Gaia Thank you!
PSojku2.gifG9XvqXb.gifbWUZhOx.gif4IOVVSW.gifSGoOc5w.gif
Rosalind had been busying herself with side projects, trying to discern which genes of the swamp were touched by the Gladekeeper, studying the lines from [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16351963]Xylo[/url]'s bees and [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=11808532]Gemma[/url]'s flowers, making all sorts of odds-and-ends notes just in the name of knowledge. But of course, her own gene journey is her current life's work, and she never sets that aside for too long! A benefactor of her project from a neighboring Nature clan, @Flamecrest, donated a rare gene scroll, first found in Nocturne populations during their yearly celebration. And what kind of scientist would she be if she didn't immediately engulf herself in her science?! [item=tertiary gene: smirch] Without hesitation, she applies the gene scroll! [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/6824431_4NgkaMMMgEbki7Q.png[/img] She's not sure how she feels about the webbing-like markings that are newly-adorned upon her scales. It's not her favorite, but that's inconsequential, as she's sure she'll be switching that up in no long while. And now seems like as good a time as any to use the funds she's saved up, and buy herself a new primary gene! [item=primary gene: cherub] [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/6824517_rJ0jgkANWSWxuN0.png[/img] Now, the swirls of Cherub along her tail and back are more appealing to her. She even doesn't mind the Smirch as much alongside her new primary. And, oh, she shouldn't do so much so soon, but she's too excited to hold off from another scatter! [item=tri-color scatterscroll] [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/6824707_EjCAEbHIP2lTZR1.png[/img] Oh! Oh! Sapphire/Orchid/Fuschia... this is a color combination that she really could live with permanently. But that's not in the cards for her yet! She has far too many colors to experience first. Still, she can't say she's in a hurry to get her claws on another Scatterscroll, this time! {{Pinging: @Alola | @AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts }} (also, apologies if anyone gets double-pinged, i alphabetized the pinglist and had to move names around)
Rosalind had been busying herself with side projects, trying to discern which genes of the swamp were touched by the Gladekeeper, studying the lines from Xylo's bees and Gemma's flowers, making all sorts of odds-and-ends notes just in the name of knowledge.

But of course, her own gene journey is her current life's work, and she never sets that aside for too long!

A benefactor of her project from a neighboring Nature clan, @Flamecrest, donated a rare gene scroll, first found in Nocturne populations during their yearly celebration. And what kind of scientist would she be if she didn't immediately engulf herself in her science?!

Tertiary Gene: Smirch

Without hesitation, she applies the gene scroll!

6824431_4NgkaMMMgEbki7Q.png

She's not sure how she feels about the webbing-like markings that are newly-adorned upon her scales. It's not her favorite, but that's inconsequential, as she's sure she'll be switching that up in no long while.

And now seems like as good a time as any to use the funds she's saved up, and buy herself a new primary gene!

Primary Gene: Cherub

6824517_rJ0jgkANWSWxuN0.png

Now, the swirls of Cherub along her tail and back are more appealing to her. She even doesn't mind the Smirch as much alongside her new primary.

And, oh, she shouldn't do so much so soon, but she's too excited to hold off from another scatter!

Tri-Color Scatterscroll

6824707_EjCAEbHIP2lTZR1.png

Oh! Oh! Sapphire/Orchid/Fuschia... this is a color combination that she really could live with permanently. But that's not in the cards for her yet! She has far too many colors to experience first. Still, she can't say she's in a hurry to get her claws on another Scatterscroll, this time!

{{Pinging: @Alola | @AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts }}

(also, apologies if anyone gets double-pinged, i alphabetized the pinglist and had to move names around)
@Noivurn I actually really like how the Smirch looks with those colours! It makes sapphire nice and purple to match the orchid. :D A shame she'll be changing soon, but I would count this experiment a success.
@Noivurn I actually really like how the Smirch looks with those colours! It makes sapphire nice and purple to match the orchid. :D A shame she'll be changing soon, but I would count this experiment a success.
MIaB7gw.png
[center][u][b]Side Experiment: Eyes[/b][/u] [b]Update:[/b] Eye types are now included due to scrolls being introduced for all eye types. [item=vial of scattersight] Everywhere, dragons were hatching with eyes that were... different. Somehow, the elemental energies always seemed to be at a high in the beginning of June, and for the first time, the eyes of hatchlings, hatchlings from the same nest, the same clutch even, have begun to vary. Scholars rushed to the first nests affected, but from what could be seen, there was no rhyme or reason to the change. The magic of the world was simply attaching itself to unborn dragons in a new way, it was said. Rosalind couldn't just sit by and ignore the new phenomenon; she sighed deeply, knowing that this may not impact her research at all. So far, studies were showing that the new eye types were not genetic, as coat patterns and colors are, but magical in nature. Still, it's a change she can't ignore. This pains her, knowing that the chance to collect the magic vials that allowed the change was gone in a flash. She gathered some Scattersight Vials, but with the odds she's facing, she knows it will cost her and her clan more than she wants it to. However, she knows that some of the changes could be invoked using a more cost-effective method... a vial available for purchase of some gems. She decides that she can't experience all the eye types, unless by some surprising event the vials become available again, but these so-called "premium" eye types could be included in her research, at least. Maybe one day, she'll add the remaining elusive eye types to her quest... but for now, she'll let magic and science go their separate ways. [b]Vials Used:[/b] 0 [b]Eyes Experienced:[/b] Common, Glowing [b]Notes:[/b] Sponsors are free to gift Rosalind Scattersight Scrolls, and she [b]will[/b] use any that are gifts for this side project! However, I'm not going to include eye types towards her regular research goals due to the rarity of the scrolls. If Vials of Scattersight ever return to the game, I will most likely add eye types to her goals, however.[/center]
Side Experiment: Eyes
Update: Eye types are now included due to scrolls being introduced for all eye types.

Vial of Scattersight

Everywhere, dragons were hatching with eyes that were... different. Somehow, the elemental energies always seemed to be at a high in the beginning of June, and for the first time, the eyes of hatchlings, hatchlings from the same nest, the same clutch even, have begun to vary. Scholars rushed to the first nests affected, but from what could be seen, there was no rhyme or reason to the change. The magic of the world was simply attaching itself to unborn dragons in a new way, it was said.

Rosalind couldn't just sit by and ignore the new phenomenon; she sighed deeply, knowing that this may not impact her research at all. So far, studies were showing that the new eye types were not genetic, as coat patterns and colors are, but magical in nature. Still, it's a change she can't ignore.

This pains her, knowing that the chance to collect the magic vials that allowed the change was gone in a flash. She gathered some Scattersight Vials, but with the odds she's facing, she knows it will cost her and her clan more than she wants it to. However, she knows that some of the changes could be invoked using a more cost-effective method... a vial available for purchase of some gems. She decides that she can't experience all the eye types, unless by some surprising event the vials become available again, but these so-called "premium" eye types could be included in her research, at least. Maybe one day, she'll add the remaining elusive eye types to her quest... but for now, she'll let magic and science go their separate ways.

Vials Used: 0
Eyes Experienced: Common, Glowing

Notes: Sponsors are free to gift Rosalind Scattersight Scrolls, and she will use any that are gifts for this side project! However, I'm not going to include eye types towards her regular research goals due to the rarity of the scrolls. If Vials of Scattersight ever return to the game, I will most likely add eye types to her goals, however.
It's been a few months since the hype behind the new eye types, and Rosalind still hadn't been able to truly put them out of her mind. She had to do [i]something[/i] to include the new phenomenon into her research! Yes, yes, a glowing sight vial would have to do! Then, she could get back to the real research at hand! [item=Vial of Glowing Sight] *POOF* - a flash of light and magic overtook Rosalind, and for a second all she could see was a bright, beaming glow, as if she herself was struck by lightning. [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/9389009_OohhK8e37IbtHGv.png[/img] After a moment, her pupils expanding and then contracting, she was able to see again. However, her eyes cast a blue glow, tinting her vision cyan. A gene removal would be coming soon, she decided, already annoyed by her off-colored surroundings and the faint hum of magic she could feel in her head. But first, she had to run some tests.... and, she had another gene to play with! [img]https://file.toyhou.se/images/9389148_BVTRbOCyocxnKep.png[/img] Capsule was the strangest gene so far, aside from species changes... the liquid beneath her scales had an odd, though not all bad, feel to it. She wasn't horribly taken by its looks, but it was at least a fitting one, being a product of alchemy. {{Pinging: @Alola | @AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts }}
It's been a few months since the hype behind the new eye types, and Rosalind still hadn't been able to truly put them out of her mind. She had to do something to include the new phenomenon into her research! Yes, yes, a glowing sight vial would have to do! Then, she could get back to the real research at hand!

Vial of Glowing Sight

*POOF* - a flash of light and magic overtook Rosalind, and for a second all she could see was a bright, beaming glow, as if she herself was struck by lightning.

9389009_OohhK8e37IbtHGv.png

After a moment, her pupils expanding and then contracting, she was able to see again. However, her eyes cast a blue glow, tinting her vision cyan. A gene removal would be coming soon, she decided, already annoyed by her off-colored surroundings and the faint hum of magic she could feel in her head. But first, she had to run some tests.... and, she had another gene to play with!

9389148_BVTRbOCyocxnKep.png

Capsule was the strangest gene so far, aside from species changes... the liquid beneath her scales had an odd, though not all bad, feel to it. She wasn't horribly taken by its looks, but it was at least a fitting one, being a product of alchemy.

{{Pinging: @Alola | @AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts }}
So much had occurred throughout Sornieth since Rosalind had last had a chance to work on her beloved project. Countless new markings had been discovered, Ancient dragons returned to Sornieth, a team of arcane scholars and draconic ophthalmologists crafted a way to reliably change one's eye type, and a new breed of dragon, the Obelisks, were unearthed. She lamented how long it had been since she was able to change her genes (she didn't count her tempered sight - removing the cyan tint of her glowing eyes was for her own sanity, not an experiment), but she had been hand-selected to work on a genetic project of such magnitude that she couldn't say no. Though she was asked to keep the details of the project a secret, she was proud of her contributions to science, even if it kept her away from her life's work for a while. Although the hardest part of being away was of course being separated from Tesla, being away from her work was [i]almost[/i] as hard, and Rosalind was ecstatic to finally be able to return home to her swamp clan. For a while, she gave herself time to readjust to being home, focusing on the more mundane parts of her research. But, finally, the time had come to change her genes once more! To celebrate the occasion, she went all-out with preparations, saving up to enact quite a few new changes this time. First things first - she'd been a Pearlcatcher for a bit too long. Though she'd grown used to moving about with the slender grace of the species, she was ready for a new experience, and what better breed to become than one that was formed of science itself? [center][item=breed change: bogsneak] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/52579093_4gzj9Ph2CT2ZJH9.png[/img][/center] Her new shape was larger, and a bit clunkier - but more lithe than she was anticipating. Her thick, clawed fingers were sturdy, but maneuverable, meaning she wouldn't struggle with manipulating her tools. She lamented the fact that she likely wouldn't be airborne again until she changed species yet again - but she lived in a clan of snappers, so she knew a lack of flight would hardly stop her. Although it's usually not her style, Rosalind decided to try [i]matching[/i] for once! She had a hypothesis regarding the genetic link between "paired" genes that needed testing. [center][item=primary gene: python][item=secondary gene: morph] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/52580064_Lzjpf2KCJ6IkNEZ.png[/img] To conclude her triumphant return to her life's work, Rosalind saved the best for last - a color change! Even though the color changes weren't as physically distinct as the other changes, the sheer unpredictability of a Scatterscroll was thrilling to her no matter how many times she used one! [center][item=tri-color scatterscroll] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/52580257_NgaSef99bNxw4i4.png[/img] Umber/Lapis/Cyan! She had to admit, these colors were beautiful. They reminded her of her hatchling colors somewhat... she almost wanted to keep these. [i]Almost.[/i] [quote=Pinging]@AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts [/quote]
So much had occurred throughout Sornieth since Rosalind had last had a chance to work on her beloved project. Countless new markings had been discovered, Ancient dragons returned to Sornieth, a team of arcane scholars and draconic ophthalmologists crafted a way to reliably change one's eye type, and a new breed of dragon, the Obelisks, were unearthed.

She lamented how long it had been since she was able to change her genes (she didn't count her tempered sight - removing the cyan tint of her glowing eyes was for her own sanity, not an experiment), but she had been hand-selected to work on a genetic project of such magnitude that she couldn't say no. Though she was asked to keep the details of the project a secret, she was proud of her contributions to science, even if it kept her away from her life's work for a while.

Although the hardest part of being away was of course being separated from Tesla, being away from her work was almost as hard, and Rosalind was ecstatic to finally be able to return home to her swamp clan. For a while, she gave herself time to readjust to being home, focusing on the more mundane parts of her research.

But, finally, the time had come to change her genes once more! To celebrate the occasion, she went all-out with preparations, saving up to enact quite a few new changes this time.

First things first - she'd been a Pearlcatcher for a bit too long. Though she'd grown used to moving about with the slender grace of the species, she was ready for a new experience, and what better breed to become than one that was formed of science itself?
Breed Change: Bogsneak
52579093_4gzj9Ph2CT2ZJH9.png

Her new shape was larger, and a bit clunkier - but more lithe than she was anticipating. Her thick, clawed fingers were sturdy, but maneuverable, meaning she wouldn't struggle with manipulating her tools. She lamented the fact that she likely wouldn't be airborne again until she changed species yet again - but she lived in a clan of snappers, so she knew a lack of flight would hardly stop her.

Although it's usually not her style, Rosalind decided to try matching for once! She had a hypothesis regarding the genetic link between "paired" genes that needed testing.
Primary Gene: Python Secondary Gene: Morph
52580064_Lzjpf2KCJ6IkNEZ.png

To conclude her triumphant return to her life's work, Rosalind saved the best for last - a color change! Even though the color changes weren't as physically distinct as the other changes, the sheer unpredictability of a Scatterscroll was thrilling to her no matter how many times she used one!
Tri-Color Scatterscroll
52580257_NgaSef99bNxw4i4.png

Umber/Lapis/Cyan! She had to admit, these colors were beautiful. They reminded her of her hatchling colors somewhat... she almost wanted to keep these. Almost.

I discovered this a few weeks ago and its so cool to see you're still updating it! Rosalind looks more stunning than ever~
I discovered this a few weeks ago and its so cool to see you're still updating it! Rosalind looks more stunning than ever~
left star border ARCY • SHE/HER • FRT+3
avatar dragon | projects | wishlist | skin shop
right star border nonAp0O.png
@Arsea Thank you so much! I sometimes forget to change her up but I definitely hope to get back into the swing of things - I really love her despite how many gems she costs me [emoji=bogsneak tongue size=1]
@Arsea Thank you so much!

I sometimes forget to change her up but I definitely hope to get back into the swing of things - I really love her despite how many gems she costs me
Rosalind was absolutely thrilled when [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/78089641]Drakul[/url] returned to Swamp territory with a gift for her! The two weren't particularly close - admittedly, Rosalind hadn't given him much thought as their work in the clan didn't often intersect. She would have to remember to pay back his favor in the future! [center][item=tertiary gene: flecks] [img]https://f2.toyhou.se/file/f2-toyhou-se/images/57096016_swIbg15OEeTZvwd.png[/img][/center] The glass-like texture of her belly scales receded, the liquid center disappearing, as hardened, reflective scales grew up around her body. Though not as on-theme as capsule had been, they were very pretty. Thankfully, her research didn't require stealth, as the raised scales seemed very good at reflecting light... perhaps an insight into why this gene first developed? [quote]Ping list: @AWB | @Flamecrest | @Fletchinder | @haikwoshevo | @Kionani | @LittlestDragon | @tahwarts[/quote]
Rosalind was absolutely thrilled when Drakul returned to Swamp territory with a gift for her! The two weren't particularly close - admittedly, Rosalind hadn't given him much thought as their work in the clan didn't often intersect.

She would have to remember to pay back his favor in the future!
Tertiary Gene: Flecks

57096016_swIbg15OEeTZvwd.png

The glass-like texture of her belly scales receded, the liquid center disappearing, as hardened, reflective scales grew up around her body. Though not as on-theme as capsule had been, they were very pretty. Thankfully, her research didn't require stealth, as the raised scales seemed very good at reflecting light... perhaps an insight into why this gene first developed?

Quote:
1 2 3 4 5 6