Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Ancient Genes in the Grand Exchange
One method of separating out the Ancient genes from the Marketplace could be to separate them off into Grand Exchange stalls. Each stall could be represented by an Ancient NPC, and they only sell genes related to their species. Ancient gene scrolls could be exchanged for Modern versions of gene scrolls, some of the overlooked old trinket/food/materials, or simply treasure. The stalls could be open all year round, or they could cycle depending on the Ancient's release date.

Once the players obtain their Ancient gene, I saw one suggestion earlier to make Ancient genes account-bound to keep them from cluttering up the Auction House. This made some sense to me. I would also like to explore the idea of being able to filter Ancient from Modern genes in the Auction House so that Ancient genes don't have to be account-bound. I think the bigger problem is that players want to find Modern genes but the search bundles Ancient genes of the same name in.
One method of separating out the Ancient genes from the Marketplace could be to separate them off into Grand Exchange stalls. Each stall could be represented by an Ancient NPC, and they only sell genes related to their species. Ancient gene scrolls could be exchanged for Modern versions of gene scrolls, some of the overlooked old trinket/food/materials, or simply treasure. The stalls could be open all year round, or they could cycle depending on the Ancient's release date.

Once the players obtain their Ancient gene, I saw one suggestion earlier to make Ancient genes account-bound to keep them from cluttering up the Auction House. This made some sense to me. I would also like to explore the idea of being able to filter Ancient from Modern genes in the Auction House so that Ancient genes don't have to be account-bound. I think the bigger problem is that players want to find Modern genes but the search bundles Ancient genes of the same name in.
I think we could have each ancient in the same stall, but just with an option to choose a category based on the different breeds AND genes separately eg:

View Gaoler - Primary genes
I think we could have each ancient in the same stall, but just with an option to choose a category based on the different breeds AND genes separately eg:

View Gaoler - Primary genes
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.pngWQA384m.pngdEo6ta2.png
I like that idea too. I wonder how manageable the stall as a whole would become with new gene additions and new Ancients over the years. Looking at Baldwin's recipe navigation as an example of how scaling and permanently-available options are going to make it hard to navigate to what players want to find.

But, it could be better for scaling if there's just one Ancients shop, which randomly stocks a refreshing selection of Ancient stuff, much like the current Marketplace.
I like that idea too. I wonder how manageable the stall as a whole would become with new gene additions and new Ancients over the years. Looking at Baldwin's recipe navigation as an example of how scaling and permanently-available options are going to make it hard to navigate to what players want to find.

But, it could be better for scaling if there's just one Ancients shop, which randomly stocks a refreshing selection of Ancient stuff, much like the current Marketplace.
Agreed, I think separating each breed with it's own Grand Exchange stall and keeping the marketplace exclusive to modern genes would greatly declutter the market and cut down on buying mistakes. Also, would help to declutter Baldwin; if I want a ancient version of a Baldwin ou Arlo gene, I would still need to get the modern version and exchange for the ancient one on the Grand Exchange. Just disagree on the possibility of trading an ancient for a modern gene on the stalls, I think it could create some confusion. Remembering marketplace for moderns and Grand Exchange for ancients is easier and more clear cut.

I also agree that the auction house needs some work. I think eliminating "Specialty itens" as a category and adding categories for modern and each ancient breed genes scrolls would help. Disagree on making the ancient scrolls clan bound though. There are still Coliseum itens to consider (I don't think tose need to change, we stay at the mercy of the RNG), and I don't think anything that limits the player-to-player exchange of goods would be good on the long run

Agreed, I think separating each breed with it's own Grand Exchange stall and keeping the marketplace exclusive to modern genes would greatly declutter the market and cut down on buying mistakes. Also, would help to declutter Baldwin; if I want a ancient version of a Baldwin ou Arlo gene, I would still need to get the modern version and exchange for the ancient one on the Grand Exchange. Just disagree on the possibility of trading an ancient for a modern gene on the stalls, I think it could create some confusion. Remembering marketplace for moderns and Grand Exchange for ancients is easier and more clear cut.

I also agree that the auction house needs some work. I think eliminating "Specialty itens" as a category and adding categories for modern and each ancient breed genes scrolls would help. Disagree on making the ancient scrolls clan bound though. There are still Coliseum itens to consider (I don't think tose need to change, we stay at the mercy of the RNG), and I don't think anything that limits the player-to-player exchange of goods would be good on the long run

pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
I really like this idea, though I think to avoid GE clutter maybe a single merchant stall who has tabs for each ancient breed.
I really like this idea, though I think to avoid GE clutter maybe a single merchant stall who has tabs for each ancient breed.
MUYNhfy.png axOkNaR.pngHawketh3.png
No support, why not just add a new MP tab
No support, why not just add a new MP tab
66.png
I agree with this. The Grand Exchange looks like the best option to me. Its already in place in the code as an expanding database of items, since Warrior's Way, Valentine's Day, etc will expand their shops each year. So, adding another stall really shouldn't "hurt" anything.

And the means to find specific Genes there easily is also already in place: You can sort GE items by different categories. Just make the Ancient Gene stall have a sorting system with different options: Gender, Breed, Gene, Gems, Treasure. So, if you want to look at genes for Goaler dragons, you sort by "Breed." If you want to look at ALL Underbelly Genes, you sort by "Gene," and so on.

Of course, this requires removing the Baldwin and Swipp Genes, and making them obtainable in Grand Exchange instead. But there is precedent for this, too, in both cases:

Night of Nocturne Swipp Items got moved to "Higgin's Haunted Hollow," with the same required items needed to purchase them. Why not move the Ancient Genes Swipp items to a new Ancient Genes stall?

And in Warrior's Way various items have to be used to buy Familiars and Apparel, so moving the Baldwin Ancient Genes to that stall won't necessarily mean removing the requirement to "brew" them: Just have those items and treasure listed as what is required to swap for them....and maybe have a timer on those particular Genes, that will require you to wait a certain amount of time before purchasing the next one. (Lore-wise the argument could still be that they are being brewed...just by a different dragon. After all, why should Baldwin be the only alchemist? Maybe he has an apprentice?) Site-wise, you give the items and treasure to buy one, and then wait say, 2 hours before the Gene becomes available to purchase again.) This ensures the rarity of those genes remains exactly the same as it would if they stayed with Baldwin.

I really think that this is the best option for fixing this problem.
I agree with this. The Grand Exchange looks like the best option to me. Its already in place in the code as an expanding database of items, since Warrior's Way, Valentine's Day, etc will expand their shops each year. So, adding another stall really shouldn't "hurt" anything.

And the means to find specific Genes there easily is also already in place: You can sort GE items by different categories. Just make the Ancient Gene stall have a sorting system with different options: Gender, Breed, Gene, Gems, Treasure. So, if you want to look at genes for Goaler dragons, you sort by "Breed." If you want to look at ALL Underbelly Genes, you sort by "Gene," and so on.

Of course, this requires removing the Baldwin and Swipp Genes, and making them obtainable in Grand Exchange instead. But there is precedent for this, too, in both cases:

Night of Nocturne Swipp Items got moved to "Higgin's Haunted Hollow," with the same required items needed to purchase them. Why not move the Ancient Genes Swipp items to a new Ancient Genes stall?

And in Warrior's Way various items have to be used to buy Familiars and Apparel, so moving the Baldwin Ancient Genes to that stall won't necessarily mean removing the requirement to "brew" them: Just have those items and treasure listed as what is required to swap for them....and maybe have a timer on those particular Genes, that will require you to wait a certain amount of time before purchasing the next one. (Lore-wise the argument could still be that they are being brewed...just by a different dragon. After all, why should Baldwin be the only alchemist? Maybe he has an apprentice?) Site-wise, you give the items and treasure to buy one, and then wait say, 2 hours before the Gene becomes available to purchase again.) This ensures the rarity of those genes remains exactly the same as it would if they stayed with Baldwin.

I really think that this is the best option for fixing this problem.
fw5Pc0h.png
I like this a lot as it solves a lot of problems at once. I think that the shops should be open all year round, but their stock might change - so Veilspun Parsley would rotate into Veilspun Shop during Notn (with same requirements).

No support for binding to accounts though, as while that would declutter AH, it would also prevent gifting, trading services for services, fixing mistakes (when you trade for second copy because you forgot you already did that but don't have more funds to trade for what you actually wanted).

AH can be (easily?) fixed by allowing to search by item ID, which is already unique and non-repeating for all items on FR.
I like this a lot as it solves a lot of problems at once. I think that the shops should be open all year round, but their stock might change - so Veilspun Parsley would rotate into Veilspun Shop during Notn (with same requirements).

No support for binding to accounts though, as while that would declutter AH, it would also prevent gifting, trading services for services, fixing mistakes (when you trade for second copy because you forgot you already did that but don't have more funds to trade for what you actually wanted).

AH can be (easily?) fixed by allowing to search by item ID, which is already unique and non-repeating for all items on FR.
JQQ3Fjt.png