Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | eggs v first gen dragons??
1 2
ok, this might be kind of a weird question, but i've always wondered why eggs are worth so much on this site while first generation dragons are worth as much as any other dragon. i mean, aren't they basically the same thing?? lmao someone please help me understand ;<;
ok, this might be kind of a weird question, but i've always wondered why eggs are worth so much on this site while first generation dragons are worth as much as any other dragon. i mean, aren't they basically the same thing?? lmao someone please help me understand ;<;
bJs5ioz.gif
made by Dovalore. look at him go, zoomzoom
ignore my entire account i made it when i was like three. *whispers*comment waffles on my profile for a free cute food item
Well there's a change they spit out a dragon that looks nice or is an XXY or something, so it would go for a lot of money. rolling the die is expensive, i guess
Well there's a change they spit out a dragon that looks nice or is an XXY or something, so it would go for a lot of money. rolling the die is expensive, i guess
nature8.png x Iron Belt Buckle Current
Count:
Buckles
xx xxxxxxxxxxxxx treasure.png
^My Goals!^
fc4zvun.png
rI18gRz.png
mlHpBMC.png
o4KdtaP.png
VjdktqS.png
Sorrowspark#0101
The same reason people will pay $30 for a piece of shiny cardstock that they can scratch off then throw in the trash. People like to gamble and hope that the result is worth more to them than what they're MUCH more likely to get (ie ugly colors or a worthless piece of shiny cardboard)
The same reason people will pay $30 for a piece of shiny cardstock that they can scratch off then throw in the trash. People like to gamble and hope that the result is worth more to them than what they're MUCH more likely to get (ie ugly colors or a worthless piece of shiny cardboard)
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common. Gen 1s are mostly cheap because no one wants to pay loads for a dragon that doesn't look good. It doesn't matter how rare the thing it came from is.
People pay for the potential. There's always a chance, no matter how tiny, of getting something good and some people like to gamble on that.
Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common. Gen 1s are mostly cheap because no one wants to pay loads for a dragon that doesn't look good. It doesn't matter how rare the thing it came from is.
People pay for the potential. There's always a chance, no matter how tiny, of getting something good and some people like to gamble on that.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
[quote name="swaggiep34" date="2020-06-27 11:45:42" ] ok, this might be kind of a weird question, but i've always wondered why eggs are worth so much on this site while first generation dragons are worth as much as any other dragon. i mean, aren't they basically the same thing?? lmao someone please help me understand ;<; [/quote] due to the fact that the value in any dragon is completely dependent on personal taste, that means that any dragon, double or triple yes, but also xyz, holds the potential of being loved and valued, but most combinations of colours that are possible are likely to appeal to more niche markets (for example, i specifically like accent matching, there are people who specifically like bright eyeburning colours, some people like only doubles or triples (rip g1 collectors in that group) and theres a lot of other markets that i probably dont know about, not to mention specific holy grail dragons etc). therefore, buying and hatching an egg yourself means you are less likely to find a dragon with a wide enough appeal to sell it and recoup the cost of just selling the egg, but any and every dragon you hatch has the potential to be one that you personally like. tldr there are very few reliably popular combinations of colours that can be produced randomly that have mass market appeal. this means that statistically, you are unlikely to get a return on any egg you hatch vs selling it. edit: basically it's the one good gacha mechanic.
swaggiep34 wrote on 2020-06-27 11:45:42:

due to the fact that the value in any dragon is completely dependent on personal taste, that means that any dragon, double or triple yes, but also xyz, holds the potential of being loved and valued, but most combinations of colours that are possible are likely to appeal to more niche markets (for example, i specifically like accent matching, there are people who specifically like bright eyeburning colours, some people like only doubles or triples (rip g1 collectors in that group) and theres a lot of other markets that i probably dont know about, not to mention specific holy grail dragons etc). therefore, buying and hatching an egg yourself means you are less likely to find a dragon with a wide enough appeal to sell it and recoup the cost of just selling the egg, but any and every dragon you hatch has the potential to be one that you personally like.

tldr there are very few reliably popular combinations of colours that can be produced randomly that have mass market appeal. this means that statistically, you are unlikely to get a return on any egg you hatch vs selling it.

edit: basically it's the one good gacha mechanic.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
I think part of it is also because people like to have all gen1 lairs, and the only way to get a gen1 primal is to either buy one for a ton of gems or hatch a lot of eggs.

For example, gen1 primals on the AH:

The least expensive one is 3,000 gems. If we round eggs to 300 gems (which is when they're on the cheaper end, I've sold some for 350) then you could buy 10 eggs. Now, there's always a chance that you could hatch a primal on the first egg, and people are much more likely to have a spare 300 gems they feel like spending on a hatch than to have 3000 saved up.

The least expensive Shadow primal (one of the more popular primals) is 10,000 gems. For that much money, you could buy 33 eggs. Again, people are more likely to have 300ish gems to spend on an egg than to have 10,000 saved up.

This is also only counting the cheapest primals, which will have non-matching colors. Generally, people want the eyes to match the colors, which means that buying a cheap gen1 primal will mean you have to buy scatterscrolls to try to get a better color. Scatters are a bit cheaper than eggs, but a single dragon can eat a TON of scatters to look good and end up costing more than they're worth in the long run. And, like I said, for just a bit more gems you can always just... hatch another egg which might just happen to be a primal with perfect colors.

So, I think people prefer to spend a small amount of gems on a quick chance at the perfect dragon, rather than save up more gems to buy a project dragon from someone else which may end up costing more in the long run anyway.
I think part of it is also because people like to have all gen1 lairs, and the only way to get a gen1 primal is to either buy one for a ton of gems or hatch a lot of eggs.

For example, gen1 primals on the AH:

The least expensive one is 3,000 gems. If we round eggs to 300 gems (which is when they're on the cheaper end, I've sold some for 350) then you could buy 10 eggs. Now, there's always a chance that you could hatch a primal on the first egg, and people are much more likely to have a spare 300 gems they feel like spending on a hatch than to have 3000 saved up.

The least expensive Shadow primal (one of the more popular primals) is 10,000 gems. For that much money, you could buy 33 eggs. Again, people are more likely to have 300ish gems to spend on an egg than to have 10,000 saved up.

This is also only counting the cheapest primals, which will have non-matching colors. Generally, people want the eyes to match the colors, which means that buying a cheap gen1 primal will mean you have to buy scatterscrolls to try to get a better color. Scatters are a bit cheaper than eggs, but a single dragon can eat a TON of scatters to look good and end up costing more than they're worth in the long run. And, like I said, for just a bit more gems you can always just... hatch another egg which might just happen to be a primal with perfect colors.

So, I think people prefer to spend a small amount of gems on a quick chance at the perfect dragon, rather than save up more gems to buy a project dragon from someone else which may end up costing more in the long run anyway.
UiEAFzH.png She/her

+2 FR Time

Cryptid Collection
_B12_L.pngo203-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo203-d05-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d01-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d02-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d03-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d04-Alo-Vra.pngo237-d05-Alo-Vra.png
Because all eggs contain an XXY primal until proven otherwise. Eggs are potential.
Because all eggs contain an XXY primal until proven otherwise. Eggs are potential.
8ab3d3b2a13c364db89e13ba399ceced86ab48ef.pngtIYcLSC.png UzGmb10.png m0kyk3D.png Ask about DnD
[quote name="Lonin" date="2020-06-27 11:52:50" ] Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common. [/quote]
Lonin wrote on 2020-06-27 11:52:50:
Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common.
KreseKaleiSign.png

Also visit:
Light Dom Shop
#Unnamedisvalid
My Challenges
Dragons for Sale
[quote name="HolyShipper" date="2020-06-27 13:33:01" ] [quote name="Lonin" date="2020-06-27 11:52:50" ] Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common. [/quote] [/quote] man i spent 2 paragraphs explaining something that could be said in 7 words.
HolyShipper wrote on 2020-06-27 13:33:01:
man i spent 2 paragraphs explaining something that could be said in 7 words.
Waystone5.gif
29562082.png
-
-
-

WAWs3m5.png
9AXhFJA.png
hZipXGO.png
[quote name="HolyShipper" date="2020-06-27 13:33:01" ] [quote name="Lonin" date="2020-06-27 11:52:50" ] Eggs are rare but ugly dragons are common. [/quote] [/quote] [i]essentially, i would rather test my own luck than buy an ugly dragon??
HolyShipper wrote on 2020-06-27 13:33:01:
essentially,
i would rather test my own luck than buy an ugly dragon??
tumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gif || drearie
|| she/her
|| bi
|| worm king
|| anthem
1 2