Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Food bonuses on return to site?
So what FR does for players who are returning to the site after a while is it fills up the dragons' energy for you! I love this feature. But I've noticed something. It takes quite a long time to build up food stores again after I've been gone.

It's to the point where I don't come back for a very long time because it's so frustrating. And now that I'm back I'm not as interested in the site anymore. I've been gone too long and all I'm focused on is feeding my dragons.

Now, I realize the point of bonus gathering is to promote site use. So I propose, to encourage the habit of coming back to the site, that players be given bonus food every other day they come back and log in. Possibly until they receive their bonus gathering again, possibly for a set amount of time to give time to build stores.

Now a problem I already see in this is diff den sizes. If anyone has suggestions for how to circumvent that, we have an ok idea.
So what FR does for players who are returning to the site after a while is it fills up the dragons' energy for you! I love this feature. But I've noticed something. It takes quite a long time to build up food stores again after I've been gone.

It's to the point where I don't come back for a very long time because it's so frustrating. And now that I'm back I'm not as interested in the site anymore. I've been gone too long and all I'm focused on is feeding my dragons.

Now, I realize the point of bonus gathering is to promote site use. So I propose, to encourage the habit of coming back to the site, that players be given bonus food every other day they come back and log in. Possibly until they receive their bonus gathering again, possibly for a set amount of time to give time to build stores.

Now a problem I already see in this is diff den sizes. If anyone has suggestions for how to circumvent that, we have an ok idea.
I don't quite understand this ... if you had food stores when you left, it wouldn't be an issue..?

You said FR tops off your energy if you're away for a long enough period of time, right? So ... why, if you're getting a fill up for free, do you not have stores waiting for you from before you stopped playing?

This sounds like you just can't manage your food stores well.
I don't quite understand this ... if you had food stores when you left, it wouldn't be an issue..?

You said FR tops off your energy if you're away for a long enough period of time, right? So ... why, if you're getting a fill up for free, do you not have stores waiting for you from before you stopped playing?

This sounds like you just can't manage your food stores well.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
FR does actually have some systems in place for this, both site and player-run!

Site mechanics:

1. Gathering, while it seems not great and individual RNG varies, can generally keep most lairs topped up since Flight Rising decreased the amount of feeding required. Even 10 turns should do a decent amount until you reach 15 again. You don't have to be completely topped up to get the bonus as long as you stay consistently above 80% and never let it dip below.

2. Gathering is also not the only means to get food. A few turns in the Training Fields should give you plenty to survive on even if you don't have any trained Coli dragons.

3. If gathering isn't working and Coli isn't something you choose to participate in, the Auction House has a food section where you can buy stacks of food, usually for decently cheap prices. You can sort by lowest price (unit) and get the best deals for your required foodtype(s)!

4. Best of all, the Hibernal Den! If food is what you're struggling with, stick dragons in there— slots are unlocked with items, not treasure, and dragons in the Hibernal Den don't eat or get hungry. They also can't breed or fight, but if you're not very active, you're not doing those things anyway, and you can take them out at any point. If you're only feeding a few dragons, gathering is going to sustain them no problem. Even sticking dragons in the first five free slots every account gets is going to lighten the feeding load.

5. One of the new features that you may not be aware of is that you can enable targeted feeding in your account settings and choose which food you are giving your dragons first. This is great if you have a large stack of, say, plants, but most of your dragons are Guardians who CAN eat plants but almost never do. You can make them eat their salads and save your meat for the obligate carnivores of your lair.

Player-run:

1. Most flights have a food bank as part of their flight systems, where players struggling with food can get help. Flight Rising's community is very generous when people are struggling; you just need to know where to find it, and asking the forums "where is my flight's food bank" is perfectly acceptable.

With all this in place, I really don't think giving returning players bonus gathering turns is really necessary, considering they're already getting a bunch of free food from the site upon return plus anything that was in their stores already and there are so many ways to get food or work the system so that you don't need it. The problem is more that players returning after a long period of time may not be aware that there are new site mechanics in place that can help them.
FR does actually have some systems in place for this, both site and player-run!

Site mechanics:

1. Gathering, while it seems not great and individual RNG varies, can generally keep most lairs topped up since Flight Rising decreased the amount of feeding required. Even 10 turns should do a decent amount until you reach 15 again. You don't have to be completely topped up to get the bonus as long as you stay consistently above 80% and never let it dip below.

2. Gathering is also not the only means to get food. A few turns in the Training Fields should give you plenty to survive on even if you don't have any trained Coli dragons.

3. If gathering isn't working and Coli isn't something you choose to participate in, the Auction House has a food section where you can buy stacks of food, usually for decently cheap prices. You can sort by lowest price (unit) and get the best deals for your required foodtype(s)!

4. Best of all, the Hibernal Den! If food is what you're struggling with, stick dragons in there— slots are unlocked with items, not treasure, and dragons in the Hibernal Den don't eat or get hungry. They also can't breed or fight, but if you're not very active, you're not doing those things anyway, and you can take them out at any point. If you're only feeding a few dragons, gathering is going to sustain them no problem. Even sticking dragons in the first five free slots every account gets is going to lighten the feeding load.

5. One of the new features that you may not be aware of is that you can enable targeted feeding in your account settings and choose which food you are giving your dragons first. This is great if you have a large stack of, say, plants, but most of your dragons are Guardians who CAN eat plants but almost never do. You can make them eat their salads and save your meat for the obligate carnivores of your lair.

Player-run:

1. Most flights have a food bank as part of their flight systems, where players struggling with food can get help. Flight Rising's community is very generous when people are struggling; you just need to know where to find it, and asking the forums "where is my flight's food bank" is perfectly acceptable.

With all this in place, I really don't think giving returning players bonus gathering turns is really necessary, considering they're already getting a bunch of free food from the site upon return plus anything that was in their stores already and there are so many ways to get food or work the system so that you don't need it. The problem is more that players returning after a long period of time may not be aware that there are new site mechanics in place that can help them.
Having poor food management isn't a problem the site can fix for you. I already think it's questionable to fully max dragons out on energy when the player isn't even participating.

On top of that, food is so ridiculously easy to get. Coli, gathering, cheap stacks off the AH, and that's all assuming your flight has no resources at all for returning players.

I don't know why you'd have to be deadset on having excess food anyway. The only thing that stops you from doing is breeding and Coli. But you can breed after they auto fill your dragon's energy, and you can Coli too, so I don't see anything that would stop you from just playing as usual.
Having poor food management isn't a problem the site can fix for you. I already think it's questionable to fully max dragons out on energy when the player isn't even participating.

On top of that, food is so ridiculously easy to get. Coli, gathering, cheap stacks off the AH, and that's all assuming your flight has no resources at all for returning players.

I don't know why you'd have to be deadset on having excess food anyway. The only thing that stops you from doing is breeding and Coli. But you can breed after they auto fill your dragon's energy, and you can Coli too, so I don't see anything that would stop you from just playing as usual.
sBdLZtA.png
[quote] So I propose, to encourage the habit of coming back to the site, that players be given bonus food every other day they come back and log in.[/quote] We have that! It's called [b]gathering![/b]
Quote:
So I propose, to encourage the habit of coming back to the site, that players be given bonus food every other day they come back and log in.

We have that! It's called gathering!