Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | So I Heard You Got a Tattoo
1 2 3 4 5
Hey, guys, so I've recently been thinking more and more about getting a tattoo. Nothing big or anything. But anyways, I wanted to hear from you guys. Any of you have tattoos? If so, care to share some stories behind the tattoos (even random ones!)?

For the more general, feel free to comment on the pros and cons of tattoos or how they look. I'm excited to discuss inking with you guys.

Also, I hope this topic is ok. I don't see why it wouldn't be, but yeah.
Hey, guys, so I've recently been thinking more and more about getting a tattoo. Nothing big or anything. But anyways, I wanted to hear from you guys. Any of you have tattoos? If so, care to share some stories behind the tattoos (even random ones!)?

For the more general, feel free to comment on the pros and cons of tattoos or how they look. I'm excited to discuss inking with you guys.

Also, I hope this topic is ok. I don't see why it wouldn't be, but yeah.
@RoseofRomania because I have a tendency to lose all my threads.
@RoseofRomania because I have a tendency to lose all my threads.
@RoseofRomania
I have a tattoo! And I want more owo
It stands for a lot of things. It's basically four stars because I knew I wanted a tattoo with the theme of stars cause I've always loved astronomy and space and stuff, and I got 4 for a lot of reasons haha anyway it's on my shoulder blade

I think the biggest mistake was the location which I was warned about when I got it by my dad, but sometimes I don't really mind -- it's easy to hide if I need to, and people are shocked when they realize I have a tattoo so it's always funny; also, it hurt less in that spot than it would have on say, my ribs.

I definitely want more ...

I think the biggest con is that they're still unfortunately seen as unprofessional in the world but I really think that's going away. They can also be really expensive :/ And if the artist messes up, it sucks, because you're stuck with it for the rest of your life, so I feel like you'd want to pay for quality.
I do really like tattoos though, because they're a way of decorating your body - like one big canvas! I think people sometimes get stuff that they don't like though, even if they do at the time, so I think it's important to get something you know will always be important to you somehow

What's stopping you from getting a tattoo if you don't mind me asking?
@RoseofRomania
I have a tattoo! And I want more owo
It stands for a lot of things. It's basically four stars because I knew I wanted a tattoo with the theme of stars cause I've always loved astronomy and space and stuff, and I got 4 for a lot of reasons haha anyway it's on my shoulder blade

I think the biggest mistake was the location which I was warned about when I got it by my dad, but sometimes I don't really mind -- it's easy to hide if I need to, and people are shocked when they realize I have a tattoo so it's always funny; also, it hurt less in that spot than it would have on say, my ribs.

I definitely want more ...

I think the biggest con is that they're still unfortunately seen as unprofessional in the world but I really think that's going away. They can also be really expensive :/ And if the artist messes up, it sucks, because you're stuck with it for the rest of your life, so I feel like you'd want to pay for quality.
I do really like tattoos though, because they're a way of decorating your body - like one big canvas! I think people sometimes get stuff that they don't like though, even if they do at the time, so I think it's important to get something you know will always be important to you somehow

What's stopping you from getting a tattoo if you don't mind me asking?
Light_Sig_zpsef33ab08.png
@DragonMossstar
I've always loved star tattoos, depending on how they're done. But they seem to be the classic choice. And shoulder blade is one of the areas I might go for, but the location makes me wary. What problems have you had with the location specifically? Just when wearing dresses or tank tops?

Also, can I ask how long you've had the tattoo? Have you ever regretted it at all?

I'm only asking because I'm a very cautious person, and I'm known as such to most people. Granted...being in a private Christian school from kindergarten to senior graduation can make you that way and have that reputation.

Which, I guess that feeds into my answer to your question. I'm afraid to commit to getting a tattoo because I'm worried I might regret it later down the road or that it might put a bump in my career path (of which I don't know what on earth I'm going to do yet; I'm a freshman in college). My mom always talks about 'well if you get a job like teaching or something, you can't have a visible tattoo'. And then yeah there's the case of my mom and my sister. They're two of the most important people in my life; they're my best friends, and neither one of them especially likes tattoos. I don't feel like my mom would shun me or anything for getting one, but I'd still be afraid to tell her.

Also, I'm worried that some people will think I'm getting one just to fit in or to 'break out' in college since I was at a school for 13 years where having a tattoo was greatly looked down upon. I don't like making rash decisions, so I'm mulling it all over, and I thought that maybe discussing it with some strangers online might help. :P
@DragonMossstar
I've always loved star tattoos, depending on how they're done. But they seem to be the classic choice. And shoulder blade is one of the areas I might go for, but the location makes me wary. What problems have you had with the location specifically? Just when wearing dresses or tank tops?

Also, can I ask how long you've had the tattoo? Have you ever regretted it at all?

I'm only asking because I'm a very cautious person, and I'm known as such to most people. Granted...being in a private Christian school from kindergarten to senior graduation can make you that way and have that reputation.

Which, I guess that feeds into my answer to your question. I'm afraid to commit to getting a tattoo because I'm worried I might regret it later down the road or that it might put a bump in my career path (of which I don't know what on earth I'm going to do yet; I'm a freshman in college). My mom always talks about 'well if you get a job like teaching or something, you can't have a visible tattoo'. And then yeah there's the case of my mom and my sister. They're two of the most important people in my life; they're my best friends, and neither one of them especially likes tattoos. I don't feel like my mom would shun me or anything for getting one, but I'd still be afraid to tell her.

Also, I'm worried that some people will think I'm getting one just to fit in or to 'break out' in college since I was at a school for 13 years where having a tattoo was greatly looked down upon. I don't like making rash decisions, so I'm mulling it all over, and I thought that maybe discussing it with some strangers online might help. :P
@RoseofRomania
They are kind of a classic but that's not necessarily a bad thing owo It was something simple I knew I wouldn't regret and has personal meaning to me!

Well, when I wear dresses/tank tops the biggest thing is that if there are sleeves it blocks the tattoo so you can only see part of it, so the only time people can see the full tattoo is when I'm wearing spaghetti straps or something with an open back/see through back. That's definitely my biggest problem with it, but as I said before, it's funny as well when people are surprised ("you have a tattoo?!")
I've had it since like August 2012 I'm pretty sure. I have never regretted getting it, just the location -- and even that, only a little, because it has benefits (easy to cover). There's also a little mistake on it which annoys me a little but I don't mind it much (and it was my fault, haha, cause I twitched).

Discussing with strangers online has never failed me :P haha

Honestly no one should judge you for it but there's always going to be people. Try not to let their opinions get to you if you can -- your opinion is the only one that matters. In 20 years, those people won't even remember you, and you won't remember them (for like random people at school). For your mom and sister, honestly, your mom is kind of right -- like I said, I do feel a lot of places are becoming less caring. I did a quick search of "can teachers have visible tattoos" and came up with people saying the same thing -- places are becoming more lenient. Cover up for the interview if you can, but otherwise, you should be in a good place. So if you want to be a teacher, there's your answer! If you want to be something else, try searching for that and see what people are saying -- I suggest looking through something like forums if you can, because then you see something like here where people are giving actual opinions and it isn't an article written by just one person who maybe knows what they're talking about. The reality in my opinion is that it's your life, and your choices, but just be sure of what you want because it's easy to regret a tattoo. I do think your mom and sister should be supportive, honestly, and if they're not that's on them, not you :/
@RoseofRomania
They are kind of a classic but that's not necessarily a bad thing owo It was something simple I knew I wouldn't regret and has personal meaning to me!

Well, when I wear dresses/tank tops the biggest thing is that if there are sleeves it blocks the tattoo so you can only see part of it, so the only time people can see the full tattoo is when I'm wearing spaghetti straps or something with an open back/see through back. That's definitely my biggest problem with it, but as I said before, it's funny as well when people are surprised ("you have a tattoo?!")
I've had it since like August 2012 I'm pretty sure. I have never regretted getting it, just the location -- and even that, only a little, because it has benefits (easy to cover). There's also a little mistake on it which annoys me a little but I don't mind it much (and it was my fault, haha, cause I twitched).

Discussing with strangers online has never failed me :P haha

Honestly no one should judge you for it but there's always going to be people. Try not to let their opinions get to you if you can -- your opinion is the only one that matters. In 20 years, those people won't even remember you, and you won't remember them (for like random people at school). For your mom and sister, honestly, your mom is kind of right -- like I said, I do feel a lot of places are becoming less caring. I did a quick search of "can teachers have visible tattoos" and came up with people saying the same thing -- places are becoming more lenient. Cover up for the interview if you can, but otherwise, you should be in a good place. So if you want to be a teacher, there's your answer! If you want to be something else, try searching for that and see what people are saying -- I suggest looking through something like forums if you can, because then you see something like here where people are giving actual opinions and it isn't an article written by just one person who maybe knows what they're talking about. The reality in my opinion is that it's your life, and your choices, but just be sure of what you want because it's easy to regret a tattoo. I do think your mom and sister should be supportive, honestly, and if they're not that's on them, not you :/
@DragonMossstar
Are you saying you wish it was more visible sometimes too? Since they can only see part of it?
I'm glad to hear you've had it for a while. I have friends who got theirs done this past October and then one this past week. and they both love theirs, but I'm like 'ok, well, tell me again in a couple years'. :P

I'm not sure of what I want to do. I've played around with the idea of being a teacher, but I have no real clue. I don't think my mom or sister have any idea I want a tattoo. When I went with my friend in October for her to get her tattoo though, my mom kept saying 'just don't come back with a tattoo'. I ended up with a cartilage piercing, which I thought she would flip out about (mainly because I'm allergic to some metals lol), but she's fine with it.
@DragonMossstar
Are you saying you wish it was more visible sometimes too? Since they can only see part of it?
I'm glad to hear you've had it for a while. I have friends who got theirs done this past October and then one this past week. and they both love theirs, but I'm like 'ok, well, tell me again in a couple years'. :P

I'm not sure of what I want to do. I've played around with the idea of being a teacher, but I have no real clue. I don't think my mom or sister have any idea I want a tattoo. When I went with my friend in October for her to get her tattoo though, my mom kept saying 'just don't come back with a tattoo'. I ended up with a cartilage piercing, which I thought she would flip out about (mainly because I'm allergic to some metals lol), but she's fine with it.
@RoseofRomania
Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly ^^ I feel like I just need to get more shirts/dresses that work with it, though, and then problem solved :P
Haha, 2 and a half years isn't a while, but it is more than from this past October xP I know my mom regrets the tattoo she got around my age, but it's really faded now (and it's also on the shoulder blade, which she doesn't like).

It's ok that you don't know what you want to do, but then I would definitely get one in a place that's easily hidden just as a precaution. Maybe your mom would be more chill with a tattoo than you think? It could help if you talk to her about it first; you're assuming she'll be really angry, but she might be chill. Or maybe she'll just be like "if you really want to" but that's not total rejection ^^; I know my parents mellowed out when I went to college as a sort of way of accepting me as an adult now
@RoseofRomania
Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly ^^ I feel like I just need to get more shirts/dresses that work with it, though, and then problem solved :P
Haha, 2 and a half years isn't a while, but it is more than from this past October xP I know my mom regrets the tattoo she got around my age, but it's really faded now (and it's also on the shoulder blade, which she doesn't like).

It's ok that you don't know what you want to do, but then I would definitely get one in a place that's easily hidden just as a precaution. Maybe your mom would be more chill with a tattoo than you think? It could help if you talk to her about it first; you're assuming she'll be really angry, but she might be chill. Or maybe she'll just be like "if you really want to" but that's not total rejection ^^; I know my parents mellowed out when I went to college as a sort of way of accepting me as an adult now
I have a few tattoos and have friends who get inked regularly. I got my first one when I graduated college with my undergrad degree.

I have had some cover ups done, and while it can be a pain in the butt, a not great tattoo is not the worst thing in the world. Just not on the face/chest/hands and it is livable, a good coverup artist can do a better one on/around it, tattoos can be removed but it can be expensive and unpleasant. All of it survivable. Honestly I would rather deal with another bad tattoo then a bad partner. There are one or two tattoos I have that honestly I would not get now if I had not gotten then, but I like them for what they are and for how they remind me of the person I was when I picked them. Probably for the same reason people keep scrapbooks.

As we grow up we make life decisions all the time, every single day. To play or study, to go out or stay in, there are always consequences and trade offs and for the most part dealing with them makes you who you are. Don't get or not get something because of what people will think of you. Personally, I view them as something that I do just for me, for how I feel when I look at them or know they are there. I didn't get to decide how a lot of my body looks, but that one little bit of skin I got to turn into art of my choosing.

The most important thing about tattooing is your health. Go to a reputable, licensed tattoo artist. Someone who had a portfolio online, who has a clean sterile shop, and who follows all health and safety regulations.

As for designing a tattoo, it helps to do your homework. A reputable artist can take your ideas and help you make a design that will work well on skin and with whatever body part you choose.

http://tattooedtruth.tumblr.com/ is the blog of a tattoo artist who does crituque, it helps to really look at a lot of tattoos and read expert opnions on them to really learn what does and does not look good on skin. This person can get harsh and snarky, but I can understand their point from an artistic perspective.

Areas where bone is close to the skin are painful to do and hard to sit for. If you don't know your career yet you can start with a location that can easily be covered by workwear. I know people who have bicep tattoos so they wear a lot of cardigans and 3/4 sleeves at work. Back tattoos are popular and can get large without being obvious all the time.

Small does not necessarily mean discret, personally I think a medium sized one in a coverable location is a lot more subtle than a tiny one in a super visible location. It also looks more ******, but that's personal opinion.
I have a few tattoos and have friends who get inked regularly. I got my first one when I graduated college with my undergrad degree.

I have had some cover ups done, and while it can be a pain in the butt, a not great tattoo is not the worst thing in the world. Just not on the face/chest/hands and it is livable, a good coverup artist can do a better one on/around it, tattoos can be removed but it can be expensive and unpleasant. All of it survivable. Honestly I would rather deal with another bad tattoo then a bad partner. There are one or two tattoos I have that honestly I would not get now if I had not gotten then, but I like them for what they are and for how they remind me of the person I was when I picked them. Probably for the same reason people keep scrapbooks.

As we grow up we make life decisions all the time, every single day. To play or study, to go out or stay in, there are always consequences and trade offs and for the most part dealing with them makes you who you are. Don't get or not get something because of what people will think of you. Personally, I view them as something that I do just for me, for how I feel when I look at them or know they are there. I didn't get to decide how a lot of my body looks, but that one little bit of skin I got to turn into art of my choosing.

The most important thing about tattooing is your health. Go to a reputable, licensed tattoo artist. Someone who had a portfolio online, who has a clean sterile shop, and who follows all health and safety regulations.

As for designing a tattoo, it helps to do your homework. A reputable artist can take your ideas and help you make a design that will work well on skin and with whatever body part you choose.

http://tattooedtruth.tumblr.com/ is the blog of a tattoo artist who does crituque, it helps to really look at a lot of tattoos and read expert opnions on them to really learn what does and does not look good on skin. This person can get harsh and snarky, but I can understand their point from an artistic perspective.

Areas where bone is close to the skin are painful to do and hard to sit for. If you don't know your career yet you can start with a location that can easily be covered by workwear. I know people who have bicep tattoos so they wear a lot of cardigans and 3/4 sleeves at work. Back tattoos are popular and can get large without being obvious all the time.

Small does not necessarily mean discret, personally I think a medium sized one in a coverable location is a lot more subtle than a tiny one in a super visible location. It also looks more ******, but that's personal opinion.
tumblr_inline_nk71ax46vd1qg2i5p.png
Flag by osiem
@DragonMossstar
I'm glad we clarified that. Lol. I usually assume people always complain about not being able to cover it up. I've never thought about people being disappointed on location because it's not more visible sometimes. Hmm, interesting thing to consider.

Yeah, I think I would either choose the inside of my ankle or my shoulder blade. Maybe inner forearm right near the elbow, but I don't think so. There aren't a lot of locations I personally think I could pull off. Men can pretty much choose anywhere. Women can too, but I feel as if my body isn't suited for the pretty side/hip tattoos or whathaveyou. Besides, I plan on losing some weight in my thighs and stomach, and I don't know that tattoos shrink/stretch well.

I'm not so sure I think she'd be like yelling or blaringly angry. I think that would be better. I just think she might be disappointed in me.
@DragonMossstar
I'm glad we clarified that. Lol. I usually assume people always complain about not being able to cover it up. I've never thought about people being disappointed on location because it's not more visible sometimes. Hmm, interesting thing to consider.

Yeah, I think I would either choose the inside of my ankle or my shoulder blade. Maybe inner forearm right near the elbow, but I don't think so. There aren't a lot of locations I personally think I could pull off. Men can pretty much choose anywhere. Women can too, but I feel as if my body isn't suited for the pretty side/hip tattoos or whathaveyou. Besides, I plan on losing some weight in my thighs and stomach, and I don't know that tattoos shrink/stretch well.

I'm not so sure I think she'd be like yelling or blaringly angry. I think that would be better. I just think she might be disappointed in me.
@RoseofRomania
It's a good thing to consider then! Glad I introduced you to a new idea, haha.

those are good places and yeah, easy to cover owo
inner forearm wouldn't be easy to cover at all. maybe later on in your life when you have job security, haha?
don't worry about your body type -- i know they don't stretch well, but I don't know about shrinking.

Hmmm I can see why that would feel tough, but there's nothing you can do about that, really. You can try and talk to her to make her feel better about tattoos, maybe? And keep in mind she won' be disappointed forever. Maybe for a little while, but not forever x3
@RoseofRomania
It's a good thing to consider then! Glad I introduced you to a new idea, haha.

those are good places and yeah, easy to cover owo
inner forearm wouldn't be easy to cover at all. maybe later on in your life when you have job security, haha?
don't worry about your body type -- i know they don't stretch well, but I don't know about shrinking.

Hmmm I can see why that would feel tough, but there's nothing you can do about that, really. You can try and talk to her to make her feel better about tattoos, maybe? And keep in mind she won' be disappointed forever. Maybe for a little while, but not forever x3
1 2 3 4 5