Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Banned names for dragons?
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19
@Akiri
Basically, we should just avoid names that imply an end to something?
@Akiri
Basically, we should just avoid names that imply an end to something?
I can see why death-oriented names are not allowed, especially as exalt dragons, because it conflicts with the mechanic of exalting. It's not a death sentence, even though some people insist on stamping their foot and saying it "feels" like one. Regardless of how it "feels" to people, its an honor for the dragon to serve their deity. Which is why the death names imply an end that conflicts with the intention. (And just fan the flames of a debate that is so far beyond "dead horse" that it might as well be dust now)

Filters have their place and area way to ensure that continued harassment doesn't happen. Don't blame the staff, blame the idiots that have been harassing people and getting the names banned in the first place, or blame the people that were offended by something that had no intention of offense and reported harmless names. The staff is doing their job to keep conflict from arising, and it wouldn't be a good idea for them to adopt a more hands-off approach. If harassment is such an issue now, wait until open registration. We'll be wishing they'd been more active about it.

The issue of names is one not caused by the staff, but caused by a handful of brats that ruined it for everyone else. It's one thing if the RNG accidentally throws out something that may not entirely be appropriate, but when people go out of their way to come up with harassing names, SOMETHING needs to be done about it. Yes, I'd prefer if it was the individual being punished and not names being taken, but the problem is that there literally is no reason to be using some names like "Dead" "Exalted" "Destroyed" etc. It's just plain rude.
I can see why death-oriented names are not allowed, especially as exalt dragons, because it conflicts with the mechanic of exalting. It's not a death sentence, even though some people insist on stamping their foot and saying it "feels" like one. Regardless of how it "feels" to people, its an honor for the dragon to serve their deity. Which is why the death names imply an end that conflicts with the intention. (And just fan the flames of a debate that is so far beyond "dead horse" that it might as well be dust now)

Filters have their place and area way to ensure that continued harassment doesn't happen. Don't blame the staff, blame the idiots that have been harassing people and getting the names banned in the first place, or blame the people that were offended by something that had no intention of offense and reported harmless names. The staff is doing their job to keep conflict from arising, and it wouldn't be a good idea for them to adopt a more hands-off approach. If harassment is such an issue now, wait until open registration. We'll be wishing they'd been more active about it.

The issue of names is one not caused by the staff, but caused by a handful of brats that ruined it for everyone else. It's one thing if the RNG accidentally throws out something that may not entirely be appropriate, but when people go out of their way to come up with harassing names, SOMETHING needs to be done about it. Yes, I'd prefer if it was the individual being punished and not names being taken, but the problem is that there literally is no reason to be using some names like "Dead" "Exalted" "Destroyed" etc. It's just plain rude.
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
[quote name="Atropa" date="2014-09-25 03:35:06"]My two penn'orth on the matter: Admins, why are you trying to babysit a userbase that is actively resisting it, and that is only going to grow? Why are you trying to control this situation by force, when as time goes on, and the site gets larger, it can only possibly get worse? Why not implement a policy of personal responsibility? Rather than trying to stamp this out, why not just explicitly state in your rules that you will only intervene in cases of targeted harrassment? Why are you giving yourselves the job of running around after a bunch of very naughty children, banning inoffensive, otherwise harmless names that [i]one[/i] particular idiot is using to try and get a rise out of people? You're never ever going to stamp that behaviour out unless you take away the ability to name dragons at all. If someone doesn't want their dragon hatchlings named something they might not like, it should be on them to name the wretched thing first. This mostly happens to exalt fodder dragons, and no one is going to be buying rename scrolls to change the name of exalt fodder to something that might upset people unless they are really, really intent on upsetting people. At which point, you can ban them with impunity. But right now you've put yourselves in a situation where you are going to be devoting a LOT of time to cleaning up after childish, low level mischief, that you have no way to actually stop. Every time you ban one name, they will use another. There are more of them then there are of you; their combined creativity is vaster than yours. A lot of us are adults here. Everyone should be over the age of thirteen. That's old enough to understand that it's up to ourselves to pull on our grown up pants and either name a dragon ourselves, or accept that they risk running into mean people on the internet, which you will never, ever be able to stamp out, and you are going to have to make peace with that if you want to sleep again.[/quote] ^ This. It would probably be much easier in the long-run (especially as the site grows) for the admin to focus less on the substantive content of names (i.e. focusing on whether a name might connote death or something) and more on whether someone's naming a dragon something was done specifically to harass/target someone else. With, of course, the onus being on the person claiming harassment to adduce proof of it to the admin. That would probably be much more manageable a policy to have than to start poking into the definitions of names, and probably be much less work too. =)
Atropa wrote on 2014-09-25 03:35:06:
My two penn'orth on the matter:

Admins, why are you trying to babysit a userbase that is actively resisting it, and that is only going to grow? Why are you trying to control this situation by force, when as time goes on, and the site gets larger, it can only possibly get worse?

Why not implement a policy of personal responsibility?

Rather than trying to stamp this out, why not just explicitly state in your rules that you will only intervene in cases of targeted harrassment? Why are you giving yourselves the job of running around after a bunch of very naughty children, banning inoffensive, otherwise harmless names that one particular idiot is using to try and get a rise out of people? You're never ever going to stamp that behaviour out unless you take away the ability to name dragons at all.

If someone doesn't want their dragon hatchlings named something they might not like, it should be on them to name the wretched thing first. This mostly happens to exalt fodder dragons, and no one is going to be buying rename scrolls to change the name of exalt fodder to something that might upset people unless they are really, really intent on upsetting people.

At which point, you can ban them with impunity.

But right now you've put yourselves in a situation where you are going to be devoting a LOT of time to cleaning up after childish, low level mischief, that you have no way to actually stop. Every time you ban one name, they will use another. There are more of them then there are of you; their combined creativity is vaster than yours.

A lot of us are adults here. Everyone should be over the age of thirteen. That's old enough to understand that it's up to ourselves to pull on our grown up pants and either name a dragon ourselves, or accept that they risk running into mean people on the internet, which you will never, ever be able to stamp out, and you are going to have to make peace with that if you want to sleep again.
^ This.

It would probably be much easier in the long-run (especially as the site grows) for the admin to focus less on the substantive content of names (i.e. focusing on whether a name might connote death or something) and more on whether someone's naming a dragon something was done specifically to harass/target someone else. With, of course, the onus being on the person claiming harassment to adduce proof of it to the admin. That would probably be much more manageable a policy to have than to start poking into the definitions of names, and probably be much less work too. =)
@Lae I'm very glad that nobody would be offended in Russia. That's fantastic. Sharing culture - when the people of that culture are okay with it and it's done respectfully - is great.

However. Native Americans are not okay with people wearing their headdresses* without earning them. Ignoring that and sitting there like 'I don't understand why people are offended' doesn't change that, and is incredibly disrespectful. Just because your culture is willing to share anything doesn't mean that other cultures are entitled to share everything with you in return.

*warning for the n-slur in that piece

Note that all of the articles and pieces I linked, I got from the first page of Google. Spend more than five minutes at it and I'm sure you could find hundreds more explaining it. If nothing else, please read at least some of what I linked.

Anyway. Ducking out of this thread again unless I have something actually name-related again - I just wanted to address this particular thing because of Lae's comments.
@Lae I'm very glad that nobody would be offended in Russia. That's fantastic. Sharing culture - when the people of that culture are okay with it and it's done respectfully - is great.

However. Native Americans are not okay with people wearing their headdresses* without earning them. Ignoring that and sitting there like 'I don't understand why people are offended' doesn't change that, and is incredibly disrespectful. Just because your culture is willing to share anything doesn't mean that other cultures are entitled to share everything with you in return.

*warning for the n-slur in that piece

Note that all of the articles and pieces I linked, I got from the first page of Google. Spend more than five minutes at it and I'm sure you could find hundreds more explaining it. If nothing else, please read at least some of what I linked.

Anyway. Ducking out of this thread again unless I have something actually name-related again - I just wanted to address this particular thing because of Lae's comments.
Teddy/Dia | he/him/his | [Skin/Accent Shop]
4367.pngRWNbd8q.png4368.png
@Carnifex

what happened with mulch??
@Carnifex

what happened with mulch??
they/them || if you're pinging me, there's only one 'i' in my username!
@Aequorin

The contact us form keeps crashing my computer, so I can't use that. Also, thank you.
@Aequorin

The contact us form keeps crashing my computer, so I can't use that. Also, thank you.
Food? Food? FOOD!
tumblr_inline_o1jshi1q2F1rbazpx_250.png tumblr_ozbmajllGL1w8xkufo2_250.png
@hatesprit

Someone was using it as their exalt fodder name, someone got upset, and it got banned.
@hatesprit

Someone was using it as their exalt fodder name, someone got upset, and it got banned.
Food? Food? FOOD!
http://specshasdergs.tumblr.com/post/98264808181/cassowarhea-someone-should-make-a-thread-to

I forgot I made this. Here, whoever cares about names that aren't banned can take a look at this too.
http://specshasdergs.tumblr.com/post/98264808181/cassowarhea-someone-should-make-a-thread-to

I forgot I made this. Here, whoever cares about names that aren't banned can take a look at this too.
Food? Food? FOOD!
Wait.... Serthis are white? [b]Hardly![/b] Carmine Serthis are red and Opheodrys Serthis are green. Seriously, this was an issue? [img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/Maj3stic12/65402-zoolander-crazy-pills-gif-6laR.gif[/img]
Wait.... Serthis are white? Hardly! Carmine Serthis are red and Opheodrys Serthis are green.

Seriously, this was an issue?

65402-zoolander-crazy-*****-gif-6laR.gif
i think the ordeal with mulch is just... incredibly silly. i associate mulch with the growth of new life and making things big and beautiful! if someone was using that as an exalt name for a dom push, wouldn't you associate it with helping the flight's influence get bigger and stronger? i think a lot of the banned names are silly, though i guess i can see where they're coming from.
i think the ordeal with mulch is just... incredibly silly. i associate mulch with the growth of new life and making things big and beautiful! if someone was using that as an exalt name for a dom push, wouldn't you associate it with helping the flight's influence get bigger and stronger? i think a lot of the banned names are silly, though i guess i can see where they're coming from.
tumblr_nonnjrCJjU1uw8pgho1_500.png
1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19